Type keyword(s) to search

S18.E11: Olympic Game Plan

• Start Topic

I said it somewhere else, but Nancy's story should be incredible. I should absolutely love Nancy. She should be inspiring to me based on my own age and life position. However Nancy herself is just awful. It has nothing to do with her age; the problem is her personality.  She's exhausting.

• Love 10
14 hours ago, violet and green said:

And yet production, who were physically there during the filming, and the editors, who had heaps of footage to choose from, to use or not use, specifically did a flashback showing Nancy at the ironing board, with her black fabric, with the iron sitting facing the camera with a suspicious smudge of black on its tip.

I watch on Amazon a day later, so I went back and watched the bit with Nancy and the iron again, stopping every second to examine the iron. The black mark on the iron comes and goes as the angle of the iron changes when she is setting it down. It's shiny silver and completely clean, then has a little bit of black shading, then it is shiny silver again and then black shading again. I don't think it's black from her dress in that shot. I think it's reflecting something black at certain angles. That's not to say the black wasn't from Nancy's dress, but I don't think it is in that shot, which to me means the camera operators did not get a shot of whoever did it messing up the iron. So it might have been Nancy, it might have been Brittany (regardless of what she says), it might have been Geoffrey.

10 hours ago, Pattycake2 said:

Scout was wearing silver slip ons so the footwear was upgraded a bit.  On RHONYC, Aviva said that she had to have  a special prosthetic made with a foot to fit a high heel shoe.  I’m  pretty sure that If Geoffrey had burned his trim so baldly that it melted onto the iron, the trim would have to be replaced.  The footage of the iron definitely looked like the bits were from Nancy’s material.  Seems to me that if the iron had been kept clean throughout all the previous challenges no one would have seen the need to check it when they rushed over to use it.

I learned about the high heel prosthetic from Grey's Anatomy (which is where I got my medical degree also -- for some reason no hospital will let me operate, though).

If the trim would have had to be replaced, then wouldn't Nancy's fabric have also been ruined in a spot from the iron?

I've looked again at the iron after Geoffrey used it and the flashback after Nancy used it. The stuff that was on the iron after Geoffrey used it was not there after Nancy used it. It does not look at all the same.

Edited by auntlada
  • Useful 2
  • Love 7
On 2/21/2020 at 8:27 AM, dleighg said:

I couldn't keep my mind off the fact that while the one athlete was 22 weeks pregnant at the taping, that baby's going to be well and BORN by the time of the olympics this summer and her hoped for victory party.... I overthink things.

and quoting myself, indeed:

• Love 19

I went back and watched as well. I might wear bifocals, so you’re welcome to question my old lady vision, but I see clear and definite goo on the tip of the iron when Nancy puts it down. In a classic, geezerly move, I actually removed said bifocals and knelt in front of my TV. Black on the tip of the iron which would have spread when Geoffrey pressed it into his fabric and began his ironing motion. Further, when Brittany denied using the material that would have left the goo, Nancy did not. AND Nancy acknowledges that it’s possible she did use the “double 2s” which is what I think what Geoffrey called it. It is not a huge mystery which needs solved, but let’s go that way.

*puts on Miss Marple hat, adjusts lace fichu*

The facts are as follows:

As Nina Garcia stated, only Brittany or Nancy could have left the goo.

When faced with this statement, none of the other designers disputed it.

Brittany stated affirmatively that she did not use the goo leaving material.

Nancy did not make a similar statement.

Geoffrey and anyone else, would have noticed if the problem had been his braid belt.

Further, the braid belt was still perfectly intact after the ironing. If Geoff had melted his own braid, he would have gnashed his teeth, sobbed and smoked a pack before the runway.

Nancy acknowledged that it was possible that it was her who left the goo, implying that she had used whatever material that leaves goo.

The video evidence shows Nancy ironing and then black goo on the tip of the iron.

Conclusion, Nancy left the goo on the iron.

The only other possibility is that Brittany totally lied on the runway, and rather than making Brittany look like a lying asshole, the producers deviously tried to frame Nancy. 

• Useful 1
  • LOL 2
  • Love 8

All I can say is that I saw no black goo on the iron. As I said, I saw shiny iron, black iron, shiny iron, black iron as though it was reflecting something at different angles. (Caveat: I also have bifocals, so I was squinting at my computer as I paused it at each angle.)

I also saw that the iron does not look particularly clean all over. It looks worse than my iron at home. That is not an iron I would not be checking every time I used it.

I didn't think they established for certain what made the goo. What Brittany said was, "I'm not gonna do double-stick on my gown." If the goo was from double-stick (tape? I don't know) then it makes sense it wasn't her. If it was from actual fabric, then maybe it was her.

I don't know who the heck it was. All I know is that I saw no black goo on the iron after Nancy used it. I don't think they cameras actually caught anyone in the act, so to speak.

• Useful 1
  • Love 4
13 hours ago, PoshSprinkles said:

FWIW, when I was pregnant and in Sergio's defense, I never went for anything form-fitting during my pregnancy because I didn't have a clearly defined round bump for 36/40 weeks. It looked more like I had a big lunch "food baby". Anything form-fitting would have made me look like someone wearing a shirt one size too small. I loved his dress, thought his model looked stunning, and any pregnant woman could wear it and look amazing. 

Absolutely this ... the bulk of my pregnancy (no pun intended) came in the late spring/summer of 1990 in northern Virginia and my job had me outside with no AC from about 2 p.m. to after 10 p.m. for 10-day/two-week spans on and off. Because I was already busty, the girls grew first (who knew they made LLL bras) and I had to start wearing maternity dresses at about 2 months just for them, so as not to buy two completely separate wardrobes ... I literally lived in big flowy cotton sundresses and/or XXXL tunic tops with light-material leggings with a lot of give. "Fitted" would not have been my friend. And we're talking early April through the first week of September (when I blessedly went into labor a month early). 

Safe to say, I was the only minor league baseball writer wearing maternity clothes that summer so a lot of those guys remember me even now when my baby is turning 30. 

I would have KILLED for someone who'd design flowing dresses that were light and comfortable and cute. I really LOVED the yellow dress, even if I suspect 99% of people could not make that color look good (Foluke -- sp??? -- rocked it though!)

Also, my two cents here ... when it wasn't baseball season, during my stints at daily papers in the 80s and 90s, I covered high school and college competitive wrestling and seeing Helen Maroulis on this show was a huge treat ... she was/is a huge name in that sport and a true trailblazer. 

• Love 17
8 hours ago, HurricaneVal said:

Am I the only one who cannot see this apparently enormous black goo iron stain on Geoffrey's gown?  Am I blind?  Or do I have a stain blindspot, and should have someone check my outfit for the day before I leave for work?

You are not the only one!

• Love 11
On 2/20/2020 at 10:27 PM, Archer27 said:

Thank goodness Nancy won. Victoria's dress is awful...They just love her...perhaps b/c her husband?

On 2/20/2020 at 10:29 PM, Straycat80 said:

These judges. Of course they love Victoria. She’s going to be in the finale isn’t she? 
Why does maternity have to be tight fitting, I’m glad when I was pregnant the clothes were still loose. Tight and clingy would have been uncomfortable and hot, as in sweaty hot.

Yay! Nancy won! And everyone else is safe. Which is great because all the clients liked their designs. Oh, and shut up Victoria! 

Maybe we they love her because she is so pretty...otherwise I got nothing.

I thought the outfit she was wearing looked like a confused Girl Scouts uniform. It both befuddled and charmed me.

• Love 6
12 hours ago, BlackberryJam said:

Exactly. Nancy gunked up the iron. It’s not the worlds worst sin. But it’s not something to deny. She did it. She didn’t own up to it on the runway. It was tacky of her. Maybe she’ll confessed to it and cry next week so that we can talk about how Nancy feels about what Nancy did and how Nancy addresses the fact that Nancy didn’t mention it and now Nancy feels bad about it.

I don't get where you all are saying Nancy gunked up the iron. I was watching closely when they showed Nancy ironing her black garment. She set down the iron, and the iron plate was clean.  Do you have a 60 inch 4k tv where you saw something I didn't, or are you just making assumptions? Like of course it's Nancy's fault, like everything is.

If that tip had been on there before Geoffrey started ironing, his dress would have more than one tiny smudge on it. Like someone mentioned, he had black and silver trim, and probably touched the iron tip to it.

• Love 6

Since the iron mishap didn't cost Geoffrey anything I don't see why it matters so much who did it. Whoever did it clearly didn't do it on purpose. Besides, the designers probably don't even care that much. 

Sometimes a cigar is just a cigar. People can find Nancy annoying and it has zero to do with her age and everything to do with her personality.

• Useful 1
  • Love 13
13 hours ago, Pattycake2 said:

On RHONYC, Aviva said that she had to have  a special prosthetic made with a foot to fit a high heel shoe. 

I knew a woman who had lost a foot due to diabetes, and she had four different prosthetic feet for different footwear.

O.k. I read all the comments before watching the show, and I didn't see something I noticed. People were saying Helen wanted asymmetry, cut-outs, and mudflaps. The show had Victoria saying that she did asymmetry, cut-outs, and mudflaps, and Helen just said "O.k." Also, Victoria got the only model who had no real issues. I mean maybe she had to wear boyish clothes early in her career, which does not affect what she can wear now. She can wear anything. Also, that dress looked cheap and the proportions were waaaaaay off. It was clunky, and an ugly shade of tomato soup red and was always on the verge of showing the good china.

Brittany got the only other client who had no actual physical defects, but she was older and had a less toned, less athletic body. Poor girl looked she was 20 years older than she was. That dress was a sparkly muumuu.

I expected to hate Geoffrey's after reading comments here, but I didn't as much as I thought I would. No comment on irongate.

I bought a dress that looked a lot like Sergio's without the back cut-out in the 80s. At Target. And that back cut-out that the judges all loved? His client suggested it to him. The sleeves were an unfortunate length, and there was no design there. The color was lovely on her, though.

I think Marquise's could have used some sparkle so his poor client wouldn't look like a tween playing dress up. Agree with whoever upthread said an up-do would have helped to glam up her look. The long pin straight hair looked toddler-ish.

Nancy's was fine. I didn't think the trim was too heavy. I think the dress needed some definition, and the trim helped with that. It was definitely the hardest challenge, though. It's hard to do a formal gown in a wheelchair without it looking like a big ol' pile of fabric.

Oh, and Victoria is a spoiled brat.

Edited by carrps
forgort a word
  • Love 13
1 minute ago, PamelaMaeSnap said:

DYING. DYING. DEAD. But from my grave, I'm going to use this quote. Thank you.

Alas, I wish I could say it was original to me. A much earlier PR contestant -- Peach -- used it . And it is good. ☺️

Edited by carrps
Dang. Another missing word.
  • Love 7
2 hours ago, nokat said:

I don't get where you all are saying Nancy gunked up the iron. I was watching closely when they showed Nancy ironing her black garment. She set down the iron, and the iron plate was clean.  Do you have a 60 inch 4k tv where you saw something I didn't, or are you just making assumptions? Like of course it's Nancy's fault, like everything is.

If that tip had been on there before Geoffrey started ironing, his dress would have more than one tiny smudge on it. Like someone mentioned, he had black and silver trim, and probably touched the iron tip to it.

As I mentioned in an above post, because there is this giant push of “NO NOT NANCY. SHE DIDN’T DO IT!!!” I did a rewatch, went frame by frame, while on my knees, bifocals off for better vision, and it’s clear as day on my TV.

I mean, this is the one time in a reality show where the producers aren’t even being tricky about showing who did what (anyone remember the Top Chef pea purée?) and yet there is massive denial about it.

Nancy isn’t even denying that it could be her. Everyone has their favs, but I just don’t get it. Again, it didn’t even effect the outcome so I just don’t see the purpose of denying that she did it, unless it’s an absolute unwillingness to acknowledge that she pulled a (minor) dick move, but really she just got careless and didn’t own it. It’s not her worst character flaw, but the denial is baffling.

• Love 5
21 hours ago, meep.meep said:

Marquise's model was under 5 feet tall.  It is unlikely she could fit into any of the shoes on the accessory wall that are intended for models who are close to 6 feet tall.  Had she worn any of them, she would have looked like she was wearing clown shoes.  So, Marquise had to depend on whatever shoes she brought.  Hardly an idiot.

If he's had more than one day, he could have dyed or decorated them.

The accessory wall changes to fit each competition, so that the sizes & styles are more in line with the current challenge & needs. But you are right it’s really hard to find adult looking shoes for such a tiny foot.  I would imagine there were more options than bright white sneakers, though. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 3
14 minutes ago, BlackberryJam said:

Nancy isn’t even denying that it could be her. Everyone has their favs, but I just don’t get it. Again, it didn’t even effect the outcome so I just don’t see the purpose of denying that she did it, unless it’s an absolute unwillingness to acknowledge that she pulled a (minor) dick move, but really she just got careless and didn’t own it. It’s not her worst character flaw, but the denial is baffling.

I hope you aren't suggesting that I am so biased that I am in denial that it could have been Nancy. I saw what I saw, and I saw Geoffrey's dress. Agree to disagree without disparaging others, please.

Edited by nokat
  • Love 9

On 2/21/2020 at 8:55 AM, Calamity Jane said:

If I remember correctly, in his season, Christian very nearly went out on a real-world client challenge. They were designing senior prom dresses, and Christian clashed completely with his client, who was rather heavy-set and had very strong ideas about what she did and did not want. He tried to accommodate her wishes, and nearly lost his spot.  

I remember this too.  Christian’s prom dress was terrible on many levels and he definitely has problems with the client.  With the Avant-garde challenge coming up, I remember the great job Christian and Chris March did together. Poor Chris ending his flamboyant life in a nursing facility, so sad.  

Back to the current season...I really wish Geoffrey or Marquise could win to get a leg up on their career.  While I like them personally, I just don’t think they are good enough.  Frankly, I don’t know if any of them are.  I would have to say it should be Nancy or Sergio in the end.

Edited by Emmeline
  • Love 2
29 minutes ago, Emmeline said:

I would love to see Geoffrey or Mar

I remember this too.  Christian’s prom dress was terrible on many levels and he definitely has problems with the client.  With the Avant-garde challenge coming up, I remember the great job Christian and Chris March did together. Poor Chris ending his flamboyant life in a nursing facility, so sad.  

I didn't know Chris March died.  That's sad.  I saw him shopping at a Goodwill in NYC once.  He was with another guy and was talking about looking for a specific material.  

• Useful 1
  • Love 3
On 2/21/2020 at 1:08 PM, hookedontv said:

Marquis -- oh dear. That was not what I would have expected, it looked like an oversized (because the skirt had so much fabric) little girl's easter dress. 

I have only read about half of the posts, so I apologize if this has been addressed. Victoria’s outfit during the judging was extremely reminiscent of an Easter dress, in my opinion. Or at least a dress my mom would have purchased for me when I was 5 years old, growing up in the ‘60s.

• LOL 1
  • Love 2
5 hours ago, chitowngirl said:

Could that mean that Nancy is in the finale and asked Tatyana to be a model?

Even if Nancy is NOT in the finale, she is far enough along that she would have made a decoy collection.  And yes, I made the assumption that she asked Tatyana to be a model.  Either she's a fantastic actor or she really was enthusiastic about getting Tatyana.  If she actually used her in a runway show, it shows that she wasn't trying to put out something she isn't (like when we could tell certain designers were NOT enthusiastic about getting a larger model but they would try to act like they were.)

• Love 5
8 hours ago, Beden said:

With respect. I happen to be about Nancy' age and, whatever talents she may or may not have are beside the point. I, also, have started a small business as a second career after 30+ years making my living doing something unrelated. While being a single parent to my son who turned out just fine. And was sole caretaker for 8 years to my beloved father in his decline at the same time.

Succeed or fail, hit it big at fashion week or spend your time sewing garments for use as Christmas presents for your friends or coats for your dog. Desperately need the $ or want an outlet in your retirement...60+ ISN'T DEAD. Everyone has the right to try to follow whatever their dream may be (assuming it doesn't involve hurting anyone). Hit the heights or fall on your face, take the shot.

Like her personality or shun her as a dilettante, ageism is bullshit.

Okay...didn't mean to rant but I've been dealing with this for decades--along with sexism ('Why's a Broad like YOU doing this???'). It's gotten old.

My issue with Nancy isn't her age.  I'm sure I would dislike Nancy just as much if she were 30.  My issue with Nancy is that she's boring, self-absorbed and I don't really believe that she's committed to being a designer.  Not to mention that she's selfish and inconsiderate enough to leave burnt shit on an iron and walk away from it.  And THEN not be woman enough to own up to what she did. 

Delvin was dragged for TALKING shit about Nancy; he never did anything to affect her work.  But people have studied the last episode as if it was the Zapruder tape to disprove that this woman didn't do what she did. 

I don't like Victoria at all but I can't see the difference between her repeatedly sending her asymmetrical shit down the runway and Nancy doing the same with those Quick-Sew pants.

So, the accusation of agism doesn't fit here.  I don't like Nancy because I think she's a boring, selfish bitch. 

Edited by mightysparrow
  • Useful 1
  • Love 7

I guess I'm glad no one went home. I'd like to know if potential contestants are really clued in to what they can expect for challenges - haute couture, unconventional materials, menswear, throwbacks to other decades' fads. mom and prom challenges are all pretty much things that show up every season or so...but a challenge that involves every 'model' having a specific need which is totally different from that for which everyone else must design seems unfair to me. I'd prefer to see all the  models have the same circumstance (all 6'3", all in a wheelchair, all with a lower limb prosthetic, all pregnant, all plus size...etc) but this was just a mishmash of apples and oranges and was neither entertaining nor engaging to watch - which is why it took me another full day to pick up where I had tuned out on Thursday. I was very suspicious of listening to every designer go into raptures over the criteria they had to design for and/or the model herself; so much so that it seemed like a set-up. I am sure my opinion is quite colored by the fact that I couldn't stand christian during his season which was exacerbated by his horrible attitude/behavior on the misbegotten 'Under The Gunn' (GREAT premise, horribly executed) and still don't like him at all, - even more so now that I have seen some of the horror shows he is designing for Jjill. Chris March, lazy bugger tho he could be, was a personality/talent head and wings above what christian will hope to be.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, becauseIsaidso said:

I guess I'm glad no one went home. I'd like to know if potential contestants are really clued in to what they can expect for challenges - haute couture, unconventional materials, menswear, throwbacks to other decades' fads. mom and prom challenges are all pretty much things that show up every season or so...but a challenge that involves every 'model' having a specific need which is totally different from that for which everyone else must design seems unfair to me. I'd prefer to see all the  models have the same circumstance (all 6'3", all in a wheelchair, all with a lower limb prosthetic, all pregnant, all plus size...etc) but this was just a mishmash of apples and oranges and was neither entertaining nor engaging to watch - which is why it took me another full day to pick up where I had tuned out on Thursday. I was very suspicious of listening to every designer go into raptures over the criteria they had to design for and/or the model herself; so much so that it seemed like a set-up. I am sure my opinion is quite colored by the fact that I couldn't stand christian during his season which was exacerbated by his horrible attitude/behavior on the misbegotten 'Under The Gunn' (GREAT premise, horribly executed) and still don't like him at all, - even more so now that I have seen some of the horror shows he is designing for Jjill. Chris March, lazy bugger tho he could be, was a personality/talent head and wings above what christian will hope to be.

That was Mondo on under the Gunn not Christian.

• Useful 1
  • Love 10

As far as iron-gate goes, and the great whodunnit of the black stain, the story the editors are telling us is, clearly: Nancy done it.

Even Nancy agrees it is possible! And I quote:

"I hope it wasn't me," she says, to an interviewer, directly to camera.

Quick cut to footage captioned: "Ten minutes earlier."

We see Nancy ironing her black fabric. (We also see she is using the exact same ironing station and iron that Geoffrey will be using in ten minutes or so. There are from what I can see two ironing stations, and it is clearly the one to the right of the screen used in both instances.)

The inference is clear, regardless of what people can or can't see on their screens, regarding black gunk on the iron. This is very clearly shown - some sticky fabric dangling from the iron's tip - in the footage after Geoffrey exclaims in horror after briefly pressing the iron to his outfit's skirt area.

Says Nancy in the next cutaway to her interview: "I'm pretty careful. But everything is so crazy and rushed," looking uncomfortable, "it's possible."

Back in real time, Geoffrey groans in frustration and Nancy turns from her sewing station and glances back over her shoulder at him and returns to work.

I mean, it is pretty clear. There were two people using black. Geoffrey's trim is silver. Even if he had some substance in the silver that might have caught on the iron and somehow stained black, I think he'd have seen it, known it, and blamed himself, which he is good at; or Sergio, or Victoria, who gathered round the offending stain to examine it and commiserate with and help Geoffrey with his problem might have pointed that out.

I think it is a bit shoddy for Nancy to not say something to Geoffrey, and/or the judging panel in the moment the problem was mentioned on the runway. That is all. I also don't like those horrible pants she keeps making, but that is another topic.

Edited by violet and green
typo
  • Love 4

I like Victoria. I didn't enjoy her when she had her tantrum, I fully recognize that she makes the same thing repeatedly, but overall I feel she's harmless, I'm usually entertained, and I think there's a client for her one look. 

The one I need gone is Sergio. I react badly to people with his combination of arrogance, actual ignorance, and feigned ignorance (like when he said he didn't know he made the Celine Dion tuxedo). Idiots who preach the way he does...not fun for me. 

The dresses this episode were fine, but then I started thinking...weren't they given a lot of money at Mood, like $400? None of them really looked expensive to me, except for Nancy's. Someone should have gone home. 

I love that the "real women" challenges no longer come with any whining from designers. They might mention that certain things about the body are challenging, but it's not a huge part of the show like it was in the past. 

• Love 3
25 minutes ago, phoenix780 said:

I love that the "real women" challenges no longer come with any whining from designers.

I love that there is a diverse cast of models, without the need to call out that there is a diverse cast of models.  What we have here ladies and gentlemen, is art, imitating life.  What a concept.

• Love 9

It's not that Victoria was lucky to get a client that wanted an asymmetrical hemline and cut outs it's that Victoria told the client that's her specialty and the client said, go for it. As much as I loathe to say anything positive about Victoria, if other designers started the consultation like this then maybe they wouldn't lose themselves in the design. Like, look, here's what I do best, so it'll look great on you, because it's my specialty. Now let's talk about how we can adapt it to what you're looking for.  (Not that Victoria adapted hers, she just did the EXACT same thing as usual. But my point remains). Wonder how she'll do next week with avant garde. Hehehe

I had a really good laugh when Brandon gave her a hard time about the cheap polyester since she made an earlier comment about Marques' looking cheap. 

And, speaking of Marques, he really was in a tough spot because with his athlete's body type I feel like anything would have looked little girl-ish. Maybe if he used the fabric that he ended up using for his shirt instead of the lace?? Idk. 

Anyone else notice Victoria holding in laughter when Sergio was getting his critique on the runway? Did I mention I don't like her?

Speaking of Sergio, I'm sorry, but that yellow dress looked like a tent. She could wear that dress throughout the rest of her pregnancy and it would never get too tight. 

Brittany didn't seem as mean without Delvin. But that could just be this week's edit. I will have to see how it goes.  

• Love 5
On 2/20/2020 at 9:09 PM, nb360 said:

I think the judges have learned not to be too critical when discussing the runway when the models are "real world" people.

I was really glad to see this. I used to feel so bad for the women who would stand there smiling, loving their dresses, until the judges would start talking about how awful they looked, and you could just see their faces crumble... It was sad.

I’ve also wondered what happens to the dresses once the episode finishes taping. Because there are always some dresses that are unfinished. Do the designers finish the hemming, etc./ correct the mistakes, or does somebody just have to go home with a bit of iron goo on her dress?  Maybe they have off-camera sewing helpers who do the last minute touch-ups?

On 2/21/2020 at 5:56 AM, Ladyrain said:

100% agree.   I kept thinking, "Finally!   This plain piece of home-ec crap gone wrong is going to send her home!" -   But not only was I wrong, they thought it was top 2.   However,  I refused to believe that they didn't hate it; they just want her in the finale (for whatever effed-up reason), so they pretended it was god's gift to the fashion world.   Then we find out that nobody is going home, so it didn't even matter in the end.   If she wins, I'm going to be seriously pissed.   This week and last, she completely missed the mark.   I don't like Sergio and his entitled persona, but at least his clothes are impressive and well-made.  

ITA with all of this.

And I never did hear an explanation for why Victoria’s husband had to give up his career as a professional soccer player so she could be a designer. That made zero sense to me. But then I imagined his day— constantly stroking her ego, reassuring her that nobody is more perfect and pretty and special, marveling over every new cut-out, holding her hand while she pouts and whines, patiently explaining the meaning of super hard words like “sheer”— and realized all that would a full time job in itself.  The poor man is too exhausted to kick a ball.

Edited by 30 Helens
  • LOL 9
  • Love 8
4 hours ago, phoenix780 said:

I like Victoria. I didn't enjoy her when she had her tantrum, I fully recognize that she makes the same thing repeatedly, but overall I feel she's harmless, I'm usually entertained, and I think there's a client for her one look. 

The one I need gone is Sergio. I react badly to people with his combination of arrogance, actual ignorance, and feigned ignorance (like when he said he didn't know he made the Celine Dion tuxedo). Idiots who preach the way he does...not fun for me. 

The dresses this episode were fine, but then I started thinking...weren't they given a lot of money at Mood, like $400? None of them really looked expensive to me, except for Nancy's. Someone should have gone home. 

I love that the "real women" challenges no longer come with any whining from designers. They might mention that certain things about the body are challenging, but it's not a huge part of the show like it was in the past. 

Re: Sergio/Celine. First of all, there really aren't that many totally original dress designs. Even on this limited-episode show, designers are repeating patterns.

Leg slits, asymmetrical hems, low decolletage, straight skirts, flowy Palazzo pants, etc.

That said, Celine's backwards tux was a pantsuit, with a basic reversal of the jacket. Sergio made a full-length dress, with, it must be acknowledged, a beautifully made front with two perfectly-positioned leg slits. The back was more refined than was Celine's; hers was, again, a simple jacket reversal, while Sergio made a "U" shape with interestingly-placed large buttons.

IOW, yes, the "backwards" idea had once been done, but one really can't get more different in final design execution.

We shall see in the Avant-garde challenge who ultimately is not a derivative designer. 

Edited by LennieBriscoe
  • Love 14
13 hours ago, DaphneCat said:

That was Mondo on under the Gunn not Christian.

Yup, my bad....it was just such a shitstorm of a show that all my negatives (seriously, Anya?) spilled over, plus I couldn't remember the name of the 3rd 'mentor' who did such a crappy job and probably inserted Mondo in the wrong memory slot, plus I was/am so outraged at the Steampunk(which I love) challenge (Natalie/Natalia was totally ROBBED), plus Tim Gunn's behavior pretty much shattered my opinion of him, that I just couldn't swallow the bile long enuf to look up the show and check my facts.

• Useful 1
  • Love 5

Yes, is Victoria’s husband independently wealthy or something? Why would he quit just to “support “ her?

I don't have any insight or information regarding her husband but athletes get injured or are past their prime (or fail to produce) and can be cut for any number of reasons.

• Love 3
20 hours ago, BlackberryJam said:

I mean, this is the one time in a reality show where the producers aren’t even being tricky about showing who did what (anyone remember the Top Chef pea purée?) and yet there is massive denial about it.

I just read this whole thread thinking "Doesn't anyone watch Top Chef?"  The Mystery of the Black Gunk, like The Mystery of the Disappearing Purée, will be studied hundreds of years from now by television scholars like professors do with Jane Austen now, think the producers.

Someone asked what about the model getting to take home the spoilt dress, wouldn't they just make her another of the same material (or patch the current dress if possible) without the time pressure?  It might come out better.  In fact, they might do that for all of them, fixing any obvious flaws caused by the rush.

• LOL 6
  • Love 3
8 hours ago, 30 Helens said:

And I never did hear an explanation for why Victoria’s husband had to give up his career as a professional soccer player so she could be a designer. That made zero sense to me. But then I imagined his day— constantly stroking her ego, reassuring her that nobody is more perfect and pretty and special, marveling over every new cut-out, holding her hand while she pouts and whines, patiently explaining the meaning of super hard words like “sheer”— and realized all that would a full time job in itself.  The poor man is too exhausted to kick a ball.

Thank you for the huge laugh to start my day! 

What have we seen of Victoria? She's faux-sympathetic to the "losers" when she's in the top, throws tantrums when she is in the bottom, and is sour that no one gets eliminated after the BAFFLING decision to put her truly awful iteration of her only design in the top two. If anyone is making me dislike Victoria more than Victoria herself, it's the judges (i.e., production). 

It has occurred to me that The Simpsons was more inventive with one garment to work from than Victoria is with all of the resources available  to her. Remember when Marge got a Chanel suit?

image.png.3addca264c7038631d3845989795d2c1.png

• LOL 4
  • Love 9
16 minutes ago, Beden said:

I don't have any insight or information regarding her husband but athletes get injured or are past their prime (or fail to produce) and can be cut for any number of reasons.

Yes, but how does he then have so much money to finance her? And not get another job?

I don't know if it was my imagination, but it seemed like during runway the editors kept inserting shots of Victoria looking askance (my read) at other contestants and resembling, IMHO, nothing quite so much as DRAMATIC CHIPMUNK.

Also, because I'm nosy like this, I tried to find the name of her famous soccer player husband who gave up his job for her (injuries do heal) and came up absolutely empty. Anyone here have a better Nancy Drew jaunty chapeau than I do?

Edited by PamelaMaeSnap
  • LOL 1
  • Love 5

Knowing how wealthy Victoria's husband is assumed to be as a professional athlete, in my fantasy mind here's what happened:

As they were walking from the runway/button bag scene, Victoria leaned over and whispered to her athlete/model:  "Here's $500.  When I 'interview' you for what you want, tell me that what you really love in clothing are asymmetrical hems and cutouts."  

• LOL 7
  • Love 2
9 hours ago, 30 Helens said:

I was really glad to see this. I used to feel so bad for the women who would stand there smiling, loving their dresses, until the judges would start talking about how awful they looked, and you could just see their faces crumble... It was sad.

I’ve also wondered what happens to the dresses once the episode finishes taping. Because there are always some dresses that are unfinished. Do the designers finish the hemming, etc./ correct the mistakes, or does somebody just have to go home with a bit of iron goo on her dress?  Maybe they have off-camera sewing helpers who do the last minute touch-ups?

ITA with all of this.

Hee! Too funny! 

Are you a Kids in the Hall fan? Are you from Toronto? Is that why you are so funny? Love!

• Love 1
1 hour ago, PamelaMaeSnap said:

I don't know if it was my imagination, but it seemed like during runway the editors kept inserting shots of Victoria looking askance (my read) at other contestants and resembling, IMHO, nothing quite so much as DRAMATIC CHIPMUNK.

I think it is helpful to take all of the show with a big grain of salt because the editing is subjective to the producers' desire to push "storylines," is taken out of context, is often presented out of sequence, and generally leaves a lot out. 

I'm fairly agnostic on Nancy, but I can't fault her for failing to blame herself on the runway for the crap that was Geoffrey's design. The stain from the iron didn't detract from the judges' evaluation of his terrible garment. In a contest like this, one never knows whether saying "the dirty iron was my fault" might result in elimination - which in my opinion, it should not. 

None of these designs were great, but I thought that Nancy was the clear winner. Sergio - oh Sergio, if you could only stop talking - made a pretty dress that I thought suited his athlete. And so let's talk about fashion knowledge. Why did Brandon keep calling the 3/4 length sleeve on Sergio's dress a "cap sleeve"? 

Definition of cap sleeve

: a very short sleeve (as on a dress) that hangs over the edge of the shoulder without extending along the underside of the arm

I'll keep watching because I generally enjoy the show, but the fawning over Victoria's one design is bizarre and off-putting. I predict Victoria, Sergio, and either Geoffrey or Nancy as the final three, with Victoria winning handily thanks to, you know, her one dress. Because it is AWESOME and also SO AWESOME.

• LOL 3
  • Love 8