Type keyword(s) to search

S18.E11: Olympic Game Plan

• Start Topic

7 hours ago, hoodooznoodooz said:

I always find myself wanting to quote from the show. I love 30 Helens and These are the Daves I know I know, these are the Daves I know. 

I like the man with the good attitude toward menstruation.

Regarding Sergio’s dress, maybe there was also a decision not to make it too tight because it was going to be awhile before the athlete needed it? Room to grow, perhaps. 

Edited by Tabbygirl521
  • LOL 1
  • Love 2
On 2/22/2020 at 6:16 PM, becauseIsaidso said:

I guess I'm glad no one went home. I'd like to know if potential contestants are really clued in to what they can expect for challenges - haute couture, unconventional materials, menswear, throwbacks to other decades' fads. mom and prom challenges are all pretty much things that show up every season or so...but a challenge that involves every 'model' having a specific need which is totally different from that for which everyone else must design seems unfair to me. I'd prefer to see all the  models have the same circumstance (all 6'3", all in a wheelchair, all with a lower limb prosthetic, all pregnant, all plus size...etc) but this was just a mishmash of apples and oranges and was neither entertaining nor engaging to watch - which is why it took me another full day to pick up where I had tuned out on Thursday. I was very suspicious of listening to every designer go into raptures over the criteria they had to design for and/or the model herself; so much so that it seemed like a set-up. I am sure my opinion is quite colored by the fact that I couldn't stand christian during his season which was exacerbated by his horrible attitude/behavior on the misbegotten 'Under The Gunn' (GREAT premise, horribly executed) and still don't like him at all, - even more so now that I have seen some of the horror shows he is designing for Jjill. Chris March, lazy bugger tho he could be, was a personality/talent head and wings above what christian will hope to be.

The bolded above is exactly what I want to see also.  It seems to me that would be a more level playing field to see what actually can be accomplished with design, fit and color.    I don't object to the crazy challenges either, as I think they can be fun and inventive.   Models being similar to each other is a wonder idea.

On the other hand, I loved both Christian and Chris March on their seasons (heartbroken over Chris' sad final years).   Christian was a very young but was extremely talented and I worried over that situation with the young girl who gave more than her 10 cents worth about everything involved in her dress.     She was extremely rude and a know it all and I was afraid Christian would be eliminated unfairly.   I was tempted to slap her myself, so I admire that he did keep his temper under control due to the difficulties and stress.   She was affecting a wonderful opportunity for any contestant she got and I would have felt the same way.  I gave her the benefit of the doubt only because of her immaturity.  

I like Christian as a mentor and I am glad to see how his talent has been recognized.  His personality  was a little over the top, and perhaps may still be, but he is fun to see with the group.

There have been a few designers over the years that  were "favorites" and kept beyond their expiration date (like food is), but Victoria needs to go ……..NOW

• Love 7
2 hours ago, carrps said:

I "hearted" this just for the fact your husband made you a dress. Aw.

One of my chores growing up was ironing my father's dress shirts (he was first level management in the Post Office and had to wear a dress shirt -- it was the 60s), and I always watched TV while ironing. But it was my little brother who got hooked on soaps. His senior year in high school he worked in the afternoons, so he came home for lunch before going to work. The soap that was on was All My Children, and he hooked my younger sister, too. He loved Nick. He'd always defend him against any of the women that my sister championed. I just laughed. 🤣

Agree with all the fabric comments. So many PR designers have so many issues with fabrics. I adore cool fabrics and find it so sad that the majority of these designers are stuck on boring solids in ugly colors and cheap-looking quality. Sigh.

he decided to take sewing lessons before our first was born (partly from watching guys sew on Trading Spaces). He got bored with maternity wear and so never got around to another dress I wanted. . .oh well. I kept the one dress when I got rid of all maternity wear. 

I had to iron too and always did it while watching TV. Ironed my own shirts and we'd get nickle for doing each of dad's. . . basketball during the day. . and when I had no social life, ironed on Saturday nights while watching SNL with my parents. . seriously. 

On topic--the fabric choices are odd. Sometimes I wonder if it's the tv but obviously Brandon is seeing the same stuff. 

• Love 2
On 2/23/2020 at 3:04 PM, gingerella said:

Really? You think Nancy is 'exhausting' but you don't make mention of Victoria at all, she the Queen of Obnoxious, Self Absorbed Personality Disorder? I like Nancy for many reasons, the least of which is she decided to leave a stable career to follow her dreams after years of doing the status quo to support and raise her children solo. That takes balls no matter what one thinks of the person in question. I think some folks view Nancy as weird or off putting because she seems sometimes to be apart from the rest of the designers but what I really think is going on is that Nancy is the only adult in the room on many occasions. I loathe Sergio's holier than thou attitude on pretty much every talking head he's shown us, but I appreciate that he is an adult about most things, including understanding that Nancy is the only other adult in the room and thus they have a shared understanding about why they're there.

I mean, good god, Geoffrey has questionable taste on a good day, and cries every damn time he talks, and is obsessed with the mean girl of the crew. And Brittney is a raging bitch, always unable to hide her disgust if the judges like something she deems awful. Delvin thought he was Monsieur Dior because he wore a white jacket, and I can barely remember anyone else because they're all so forgetable. There are few designers in this group that I find I'm able to root for. Nancy is the only one at the moment. I appreciate the leap of faith that it takes to do what she's done, because I'm doing the same thing right now and it's hella scary. I like her chutzpah in the face of a challenge. I really dig that she really never bitches or complains about shit, she just gets on with the job at hand.

And I agree 110% with @Beden's entire post on ageism.

I think we'd have seen the last of Brittany and Vicboria if Michael Koors, Isaac Mizrahi, or Zac Posen were still judging. IMO, Nina has lost her edge and her damn mind, and Brandon Maxwell is all talk and no action. I'd rather see Christian judging because I think he'd be the voice of reason with these people.

Excellent post.   I did not even know how much I would like it.  So many accurate descriptions about personalities, judges etc.     Before  everyone gets their knickers in a bunch, I don't agree with EVERYTHING, but a lot of truth there.

• Love 2
On 2/23/2020 at 4:16 PM, Passing Strange said:

Some screen caps for the sleuths:

The iron after Geoffrey discovered the mark

The iron after Nancy used it 10 minutes earlier

The Mark

After Geoffrey.jpg

After Nancy.jpg

The Mark.jpg

In the big picture, I could care less who did it, as long as it was not deliberate.    I would even forgive Victoria, my most disliked person, if it were she.  I believe it was an accident.  Can we move onto something more important...…..like who really deserves to be in the top 3?

• Love 6
On 2/24/2020 at 4:16 AM, ElectricBoogaloo said:

Victoria specifically said in this episode that he sacrificed everything and left his career as a professional soccer player because he believes in her talent so much. I know nothing about European soccer, but I saw from the picture that she provided for the show that he played for Bucharest (Romania) which Wikipedia said was ranked 63rd in 2018.

As I posted earlier, I don't understand why he had to quit playing soccer in order to be supportive of her dream. One has nothing to do with the other. He can play soccer and she can design clothes.

ETA: her husband's name is Dan Pânzaru (also spelled Pinzaru). According to this soccer website, he played for seven teams over five seasons (2008-2013, all Romanian teams and then he got transferred to a team in Maldova before retiring). Per this game recap, he was a goalie.

According to this interview with Victoria and Dan in 2014, they started dating in April 2012 which means he retired about a year later (July 2013). I don't know if I'd give up my career for someone after only dating for a year, but based on the fact that he was getting bounced around to so many teams, I'm guessing he just wasn't cutting it as a soccer player. In the same interview, he said that he was a sales manager at a company in Moldova.

She announced that she was closing her shop in Maldova and moving to the United States in July 2015 (per her PR profile, she opened her store in 2010). Their baby was born in September 2017 (and Dan described the stark contrast between doctors/healthcare in Maldova and the United States in this interview). In the same post-baby interview, he said that he drives a truck but apparently he was also attempting a modeling career at some point.

Thankyou for sharing your post.  It was  a very interesting read based on what you said.  I could not translate it on my computer, so your post was helpful.

I amused myself with coming up with all the alternatives Karlie could have said after "You are all...." (though realistically, what else could it have been?  And despite the shortcomings of most of the dresses, since they pleased their clients, I think this was a fair outcome).

"You are all...going to have to do a one-hour challenge to see who makes it!"

"You are all...in the bottom so you're going to have to help us decide by saying who you think should go home!"

"You are al....most to the top five, but one of you is leaving!"

I didn't mind Marquise's dress from afar, where you saw the slit and the neckline detail but didn't see the eyelet (I don't think of that as mesh??? or was there some other mesh?).  I like that deep coral color, though it wasn't right for adult/kinda sexy.  

I was glad they sent the "real woman models" away before the critiques.  I agree that it's awful to do it in front of them.  

Geoffrey cracks me up, liking Victoria for her hair and because she's kind of evil.  

Unlike a lot of you, I don't see the editing foreshadowing a Victoria win--and I hope I'm right.  

Lucinda Walsh fan here (my middle name is Lucinda), and if I ever see the name Craig or the name Montgomery, I have to say it like Tonio Reyes used to when they were rivals/enemies.  "Creyyyg Mohngohmerrrry!"  And I still chuckle over the memo line to someone, I think it was Shannon, that went "Re:  Our time in the South of France [i.e. fling]"  How professionally put!

• Love 5
On 2/24/2020 at 5:12 PM, DaphneCat said:

It was Ven.  And he COMPLETELY insulted his client for the "real woman" challenge.  She wasn't model thin and he didn't even try with her.  He made her an ugly blue shirt and specifically said he was using black for the skirt because it was slimming - and it was a nothing skirt.  He didn't even bother to try and style her.  Her friend was the one who grabbed a purse from the accessory wall for her to carry on the runway.   She was practically crying during the whole runway process because of his treatment of her.

I remember the dress with the flower and loved it.  However, Ven turned out to be rude  to everyone and a misogynist of the first order.    Glad he got sent home

• Love 2
1 hour ago, oceanview said:

In the big picture, I could care less who did it, as long as it was not deliberate.    I would even forgive Victoria, my most disliked person, if it were she.  I believe it was an accident.  Can we move onto something more important...…..like who really deserves to be in the top 3?

I think the consensus may be... nobody?  Hence all the easy distractions of  irongate, soap operas, and Canadian comedy shows.  

I’m sorry Dayoung didn't stick around. Health issues aside, she seemed to have a lot of potential and I think she could have been a contender.

• Love 5
On 2/21/2020 at 9:52 PM, SuprSuprElevated said:

phpWau2NBPM.jpg

phpWYmaA9PM.jpg

phphyiaalPM.jpg

phpZzcAEOPM.jpg

php4KNcShPM.jpg

php8JTFT7PM.jpg

I was looking for your post today, and by God you made it at page 4. Thank you, @SuprSuprElevated aka David Niven. 

On 2/22/2020 at 2:43 PM, Lemons said:

I didn't know Chris March died.  That's sad.  I saw him shopping at a Goodwill in NYC once.  He was with another guy and was talking about looking for a specific material.  

@Lemons, your post jogged my memory from a very early season of PR when I ran into a contestant at Kinky's (Kinko's) in Norman OK, where he lived. I cannot remember his name, so it might be moot, but hopefully someone here will remember him. He was a tall, slim young white guy whose design specialty IRL was pagent gowns. He held the door for me, and we passed like ships in the night. 

About Nancy: we're in the same age group; I marvel at her beautiful smooth skin. Sure, a lot of her face is covered by big glasses and bangs, but maybe if she wore her hair differently she could pass for 40, imo. After reading the comments here, I do see that her PR edit makes her look kinda self-centered & unaware of other people's body language. I had a friend like this who babbled on and on about whatever was going on in her life. Boring and exhausting. 

Re Victoria: A couple of weeks ago someone posted here that maybe Victoria is being pushed through because she (or her husband?) has experienced some type of Harvey Weinstein incident. Idk what's happening, she's a one-trick pony, lol. 

I cannot believe how obsessed you all are with who gunked up the iron! I have my own opinion but I'm not going to stir the pot at this point. However, I have been puzzling in my head how Marquise could have made Scout's dress more mature when she was so petite. When I was watching, I was surprise he didn't do any of his sculptural stuff on the bodice.  And instead of braided straps, what if he had used thin chains or even thin black leather straps? It definitely needed something to make it less sweet. 

• Love 3
2 hours ago, oceanview said:

I remember the dress with the flower and loved it.  However, Ven turned out to be rude  to everyone and a misogynist of the first order.    Glad he got sent home

Yes, he won a challenge (I think it was the first one) for that flower and then repeated it every. single. time.  He was the original "One Way Monkey" per Dmitry.

• Love 2
5 minutes ago, DaphneCat said:

Yes, he won a challenge (I think it was the first one) for that flower and then repeated it every. single. time.  He was the original "One Way Monkey" per Dmitry.

That is true!   I forgot about that part.  The first one was a stunner, white as I recall.  The rest was just duplication or something.  Thanks for the reminder

• Love 1
1 hour ago, Rt66vintage said:

About Nancy: we're in the same age group; I marvel at her beautiful smooth skin. Sure, a lot of her face is covered by big glasses and bangs, but maybe if she wore her hair differently she could pass for 40, imo.

Ironic! I have been thinking she looks much older than 64, and is probably shaving five to seven years off - although that is unlikely. Her fashion sensibility is very dated, also, in a way that would fit with someone somewhat older.

>insert gasp emoji!<

Edited by violet and green
typo
On 2/24/2020 at 3:59 PM, RedbirdNelly said:

I like Marquese but I think he'd be better if there was a male fashion version of Project Runway. 

That would be SO awesome! Or at the very least if they could have a variety of models like they did that earlier week and make all of the challenges be able to work for either (or all). 

7 hours ago, nb360 said:

I was a General Hospital fan. And for those of you who are old enough, The Edge of Night.

I watched GH around 5-6th grade. My other set of grandparents watched it every day. There was a time period when I got off the bus at their house around 2:25---I'd come in, grab a snack while they caught me up on the first 25 minutes and I watched the rest with them. It was good times. This was early 80s--I believe a Susan was murdered, it involved the Quartermains sp?, and Luke was on but his exfriend was now with Holly. . . 

• Love 4
On 2/21/2020 at 10:31 AM, aquarian1 said:

Agree on all the reds - they all chose the same horrible red.  What is up with that color.  It was almost pink on my screen.  Scout said she wanted some red, to reflect her Chinese heritage, but I didn't think she said all red.  Not that all red is bad, but that I didn't think Marquise was as limited to all red as some of the others whose clients did request all/mostly red.  

When Scout said red for China, my mind when immediately to a bold scarlet red not the pink-ish color.  That would have been a more grown up looking color, too.

• Love 6
12 hours ago, nb360 said:

I was a General Hospital fan. And for those of you who are old enough, The Edge of Night.

4 hours ago, RedbirdNelly said:

I watched GH around 5-6th grade. My other set of grandparents watched it every day. There was a time period when I got off the bus at their house around 2:25---I'd come in, grab a snack while they caught me up on the first 25 minutes and I watched the rest with them. It was good times. This was early 80s--I believe a Susan was murdered, it involved the Quartermains sp?, and Luke was on but his exfriend was now with Holly. . . 

Ah, I loved The Edge of Night. One of my all-time favorite soaps. Raven would totally rock some of the designs that have come down the runway on PR. In previous seasons. I was more a One Life to Live fan, than GH, though I loved it back in the days of Luke and Laura. Now, Susan has another kid, the Quartermaines have been decimated, and the show is more like Mobsters 'R' Us. Hate the Unholy Trinity.  On topic - Sorta! It involves ironing! - I, too, have what are now happy memories of waiting my turn at the ironing board, after Mom and my sister, while watching the soaps. Never any gunk on our iron, though. 

2 hours ago, terrymct said:

When Scout said red for China, my mind when immediately to a bold scarlet red not the pink-ish color.  That would have been a more grown up looking color, too.

Yeah, I questioned the designers' perception of color, as well as their taste in fabrics, with those "reds" they all picked out. All three picked out something more like fuschia, on my TV, when there are so many other more vibrant shades they could've picked.  When Christian was getting on their case about all picking the same color but they all still decided to use red, fair enough.  But why that shade? You'd think one or two of them would've at least decided to mix it up when they saw the others' color choice.

Edited by Fellaway
  • Love 2
3 minutes ago, Fellaway said:

Yeah, I questioned the designers' perception of color, as well as their taste in fabrics, with those "reds" they all picked out. All three picked out something more like fuschia, on my TV, when there are so many other more vibrant shades they could've picked.

I also thought they all looked like pink to me. And I got the impression that Scout wanted *a bit* of red to represent China. Like a shoulder strap! And I could not believe he used eyelet with no lining so that her nipples could/would show through! It wasn't obvious on the runway, but definitely not a look I'd ever be comfortable in in-real-life.

• Love 4
22 hours ago, carrps said:

I "hearted" this just for the fact your husband made you a dress. Aw.

One of my chores growing up was ironing my father's dress shirts (he was first level management in the Post Office and had to wear a dress shirt -- it was the 60s), and I always watched TV while ironing. But it was my little brother who got hooked on soaps. His senior year in high school he worked in the afternoons, so he came home for lunch before going to work. The soap that was on was All My Children, and he hooked my younger sister, too. He loved Nick. He'd always defend him against any of the women that my sister championed. I just laughed. 🤣

Agree with all the fabric comments. So many PR designers have so many issues with fabrics. I adore cool fabrics and find it so sad that the majority of these designers are stuck on boring solids in ugly colors and cheap-looking quality. Sigh.

So many hours in front of the TV ironing my dad’s and brother’s shirts!  And no AC 

• Love 5
20 hours ago, Rt66vintage said:

@Lemons, your post jogged my memory from a very early season of PR when I ran into a contestant at Kinky's (Kinko's) in Norman OK, where he lived. I cannot remember his name, so it might be moot, but hopefully someone here will remember him.

Anyone remember Gordana from the Los Angeles season? She was my across the street neighbor, but it was years after it had been on, and I didn't even recognize her at first. We talked several times before the penny dropped. Actually it was my dachshund who introduced us. Anyone who's ever had a dachshund can guess where this is leading. She was cooking, and her kitchen was right inside the front door which was open. Luc decided to walk right in and invite himself to lunch. It became a running joke, and she was so sweet about it. Once we happened by when she was hours away from a European trip, and she rushed around to get something for Luc...eventually coming up with some cat treats, which, of course, he gobbled right up. He got old and passed last year, so I missed seeing her for a while. Then, she moved last year. I miss her. We'd always chat when Luc was trying to do his usual dine-and-dash.

15 hours ago, BlackberryJam said:

I think Nancy’s looks exactly 64, but when she’s talking and she is so enthusiastic, she projects younger. 

In repose, it’s a different story.

project-runway-nancy-volpe-beringer-1.jp

As with all the designers, she as some filtered shots on the website that softens her edges.

I'm three years older, and my skin and neck are a lot less saggy and wrinkled than hers. I put it down to sun damage. I'm half Celtic, so I've been avoiding direct sunlight for most of my life. The best thing you can do for your skin! No direct sun!

• Love 3
On 2/26/2020 at 1:13 PM, Fellaway said:

Ah, I loved The Edge of Night.

While I was too young at the time to actually watch the soaps I got enough exposure to "the stories" to have a childhood crush on Phil Capice, thereby earning myself the household nickname of "Lisa Capice-a." 

Edited by PamelaMaeSnap
  • LOL 1
  • Love 1

My neighbor would take us to the local swimming pool after she watched "her shows" - so I got hooked on All My Children and One Life to Live (and later on in life General Hospital of course).  I remember Phil and Tara's wedding - it was the most romantic and beautiful thing my elementary school heart had seen at the time.

• Love 1

I can’t even tell you how much I loved my soaps.  On my wedding day (Justice of the Peace) I was late to my  appt at 2 because after six months of watching this storyline, Erica was finally going to tell Maria that the baby that she “adopted” was really Maria’s daughter.  Maria thought the baby had died.  I didn’t have a DVR and I was not going to miss that reveal after waiting for 6 months.  I loved Maria and Edmond. 

My OLTL couple was Todd and Blair!

Edited by VintageJ
Because capitalization matters.
  • LOL 1
  • Love 3