Type keyword(s) to search

S18.E10: Live and Let Tie Dye

• Start Topic

Maybe...and, yeah, if they were interested in it, they'd probably already know more about it, like Nancy. But I don't know that it's a matter of "should know for the future"; it's a contest not a class, so I'm guessing that featuring lesser used media and techniques plays a big role in determining a winner (unless, of course, Victoria is a predetermned shoo-in. Ugh).

• Love 5
2 minutes ago, Ms Blue Jay said:

That's great.  I guess I just kind of find it niche.  There are about a million different styles and techniques out there, but I don't know if I find tie-dye really broad enough that the designers should need this technique for the future.

Perhaps, but they don't need to know how to make clothes out of garbage bags, traffic cones, Twizzlers, or the other weird crap in unconventional materials challenges either.  I think adding the element of them having to dye their own fabric made the challenge a little different, and at least fabric dying is relevant to fashion (versus when Lifetime would try to shoehorn in random sponsors as "inspiration" for every challenge).

• Love 21
1 hour ago, chitowngirl said:

“Don’t wrinkle my dress!!”

And there aren’t enough 🙄 for Sergio describing Ombré to the plebe judges. I think his attitude is what is going to get him aufed.

I roll my eyes a fair amount over Sergio, but in this instance I thought he was explaining for the home audience, and was also aware that his pale colors made the color effects more difficult to see. 

• Love 14
37 minutes ago, Ms Blue Jay said:

That's great.  I guess I just kind of find it niche.  There are about a million different styles and techniques out there, but I don't know if I find tie-dye really broad enough that the designers should need this technique for the future.

Or all the people who go to the Kerrville Music Festival in Texas each spring - tie die lives there gloriously (of course a lot of those people are old hippies or young hippy wanna-be types...LOL!

• Useful 2
  • LOL 2
  • Love 5

Oh, good. I needed another Gretchen/Anya season of PR in my life. Judges, you have the power to make Victoria go away. Please use that. 

I am tie-dye ignorant and really liked learning how to make the different patterns. I always thought the process was more free-spirited and random; as in, twist shirt into whatever form it wants to be and soak in whatever colors move you with their aura. Live and learn. And I was pretty impressed by how some of the techniques and colors came out.

Sergio cracks me up. Yes, he's a preening, pompous ass, but I think he just may be poking a little fun at how seriously the show takes itself. But it was a little much when someone told him they could see Michelle Obama wearing his dress and he nodded like, "oh, of course...she should be so lucky." Er.....no, Sergio. 

Britney...just...bugs. Luckily, I don't think, despite the stupid save, her designs are going to get her to the finals. 

Uh....Delvin's a good tailor? Ouch. Is that kind of a backhanded compliment in the fashion world? As in, you can hammer a nail real good, but you don't have the chops to actually design the church? 

I really want a pair of Nancy Pants. 

• LOL 2
  • Love 12

Happy for Geoffrey. I hope he can keep his emotions together and continue to progress. I'm not mad at Sergio anymore either. He actually took some notes, and although he is not my favorite personality, he usually puts up garments that deserve to keep him there. ...unlike some others. 

Brittney's was too My Little Pony Princess. And can any designer really have "my signature straps" at this point?! 

I wonder who will be sacrificed at the alter of Victoria next week.  

• LOL 1
  • Love 14

From a personality perspective I didn't really care who out of the bottom 2 went home but from a design perspective it should have been Victoria. 

Why was there only a bottom 2?

I think Sergio should have been safe, Brittany in the top (but Geoffrey still the winner) and Marquis in the bottom (but not go home), I agreed with Christian, his looked ice skater-ish.

Edited to add: Geoffrey MUST have thought Victoria was going home. Saying all that stuff about his win being bitter sweet. I don't think he would have reacted like that if he thought Delvin was on his way out. 

Edited by Samwise979
  • Useful 1
  • Love 2

We were not allowed to paint our college dorms, so my roommate and I spent a laborious weekend tie-dying a sheet to cover one wall. We were so proud of ourselves.

Maybe Nancy was obsessed with producing pants that the judges would like, and Nina did indeed compliment them. Now maybe we can see Nancy do something else.

It was sweet of her to insist that the excitable Geoffrey calm down and reconsider his dark green design. Given how emotional he is, she may be partly responsible for his win. Which I'm glad he got.

No way would PR choose a dress with so many godets for a flash sale. Very time-consuming to produce. I thought Sergio's was pretty but the design was something we've all seen.

Of course, since they only had 24 hours, including dye time, they were forced to rush their designs. I hated this aspect of the episode.

They've got to be faking it with the Victoria love, and she's going through the motions. PR wants her to produce a collection and CFDA probably views her as marketable.

Delvin is a tailor and a technician, not a designer, at least at CFDA level. I'm not so sure he will get a Parisian atelier. There are so many fabulous designers in the world who are better than he is, not to mention most of the other PR contestants.

Watched Christian's spring/summer collection on YouTube. Kookie New Orleans artist Ashley was a main feature of the show.

Edited by pasdetrois
  • Love 7

I like Nancy and liked her outfit but it bugs me when people in their early or mid sixties talk about being hippies or claim to be at Woodstock ( Nancy didn’t say anything about Woodstock). I am a few years younger than her and we were small children in the 60’s. The 70’s were more our time.

Really hated Victoria ‘s outfit and can’t stand her. Sergio doesn’t bother me too much and I think he or Geoffrey will win this year. Victoria will not be able to make a decent collection and the judges seem more in love with how she looks than what she does.

• Love 14

Since anything I would have to say would mostly be redundant, I will just place the looks here, in the order I scored them, first to last.  (Note - Nancy gets only 1/2 credit for the repeat pants and for the non-top, but the remaining four were so bad that she gets the nod for 3rd.  I could barely discern how to place #4 through #7, they all sucked so badly).

phpW8g6PkAM.jpg

phpwMwbR3AM.jpg

phpSQWCanAM.jpg

phpVhik3jAM.jpg

phpmkxUeGAM.jpg

phpa7kGVAAM.jpg

phpAEoKShAM.jpg

Edited by SuprSuprElevated
  • Love 9
15 hours ago, kanona29 said:

This is a damn tragedy. Anyone wearing Victoria's outfit would be a laughing embarrassment walking down the street.  

It looked like a flouncy nightie got tacked onto the model's back!

• LOL 1
  • Love 8
1 hour ago, potatoradio said:

I really want a pair of Nancy Pants. 

Remember that you need to be at least 5'10" for them to look good.

From my perspective, Nancy is as much of a one trick pony as Victoria, and I'm glad Christian was telling her that in his critique.  She did make the second-best tie dye fabric.

Again, announce that it is a flash sale after they have already started in.  So Sergio's was too complicated to manufacture.  I really liked his dress, it looked gorgeous on the model, and it was the construction that made it so twirly.

Geoffrey's was beautiful and deserved the win.

They could have kept Delvin with the excuse that he used tie-dyed fabric for his entire garment, while Victoria went off book again, and kind of used it as a trim.  But no...

• Love 19

Sergio's dress (which was lovely, I'll admit) reminded me of the famous "rain way" dress that Sean?? did where he put dye in the seams. A pretty dress in a pretty color, but Sean won me over with the nerve to do what he did. But Sergio's seems like a dress you'd buy in a tasteful store to wear to a tasteful garden party in the Hamptons (not that I'm ever going to be invited to one).

Edited by dleighg
  • Useful 2
  • LOL 2
  • Love 14
22 minutes ago, SuprSuprElevated said:

phpwMwbR3AM.jpg

Sergio's actual tie dyeing looks better in this photo than on the runway.  I can see the yellow color in more areas than just along the bottom edge.  It's a lovely dress.   Geoffrey still deserved the win, though.

• Useful 3
  • Love 12
16 hours ago, WaltersHair said:

Victoria, that ruffled thing is called a valance circa 1975

Hands up if you had that exact look hanging over your kitchen window!

16 hours ago, raven said:

Yes, those were Nancy's usual pants but damn her outfit had flair.

I love Nancy's style myself, but damn, woman, stop making the EXACT SAME PALAZZO PANTS (but the extra attached crap makes it special!). It's good, but it's cookie cutter at this point. MAKE. SOMETHING. ELSE.

• Useful 2
  • LOL 2
  • Love 17

Color Sergio a one-note pony too.  All of his outfits are unoriginal, dowdy and uninspired (despite his creating a political narrative around all them).  His dress was pretty, but, jeez, I saw that dress every week on January Jones in Mad Men.  

Geoffrey's dress is so beautiful.  I really want it and may have to start a GoFundMe to raise the $840 it takes to buy it.  That color worked out so well.  Great job.

And I thought for sure Victoria would go until they said the whole "who would we like to see a collection from" thing.  I knew that she's be in.  That darn hair strikes again with its mesmerizing qualities.

I do love (and share) the contempt that Christian has for Sergio.  It's delicious and I hope he keeps it up.

I like Brittany.  Maybe because she reminds me of Natalie Maine from the Dixie Chicks and I fell in love with them after their "Not Ready To Make Nice" song from way back when.

• Love 5
Just now, dleighg said:

what did Carli do to her eyebrows?

Screen Shot 2020-02-14 at 2.32.48 PM.png

Microplaned them? And she needed a much more supportive bra in that thin sweater. She's so saggy. Kinda surprising for someone known for Victoria's Secret modeling.

HATED Victoria's. And I HATED what she was wearing in the workroom, and she had to repeat it for her "design." That was some tacky tacky shit. Even a street hooker would have better taste than to wear that. The cape was weird, and it flowed oddly. It did look like she attached the shoulders of grandma's nightie to the top.

LOVED Geoffrey's. Great fabric. It shimmered. The teeny touches of orange were the perfect complement.

Brittany's fabric should have been brighter to give her usual Ren Faire day dress a bit more flair.

I like Marquis's more than most people here. It was cute and styled with the sneakers it was fine.

Nancy's tie dye was gorgeous. You could tell she'd had some experience. Her pants looked much better in a flowy fabric. Hope she does a dress next time.

Sergio's was pretty, but also pretty basic. Thijin werked it.

Poor Delvin. He needs more experience and a little humbling.

• Love 10

"At least she had an idea!"

So did the costume designers for Beverly Hillbillies and Petticoat Junction. Has Victoria been watching old reruns on TV? 

Those jeans would have gotten anyone kicked out (not even close to the assignment and half the damn outfit), so seeing her collection is clearly on the producers' list of things-to-do.

• LOL 1
  • Love 11
2 hours ago, carrps said:

Microplaned them? And she needed a much more supportive bra in that thin sweater. She's so saggy. Kinda surprising for someone known for Victoria's Secret modeling.

Does she look at herself in the mirror before she walks out?

And it seems she forgot to wash her hair recently.

No idea who the guest judge is, and, even though the regular judges and the contestants seemed to, I didn't find her the slightest bit funny.

Hello pretentious Delvin - "A white coat, also known as a laboratory coat, is a knee-length overcoat/smock worn by professionals in the medical field or by those involved in laboratory work. The coat protects their street clothes."

"Werk"?

Edited by Brookside
  • LOL 1
  • Love 1
3 minutes ago, carrps said:

Nice article! But notice...it's nine years old. So, Swatch is at least 13 now.

Yeah, I was trying to find out if 'Swatch' was the same dog - because Project Runway has been on for about a thousand years, and found this, and did the maths. I was quite surprised it was the same dog. Now I want one...

He looked old in that ep, sort of grey in the muzzle. I am inordinantly pleased Swatch is Swatch.

Edited by violet and green
added stuff
  • Love 5
1 minute ago, violet and green said:

Yeah, I was trying to find out if "Swatch' was the same dog - because Project Runway has been on for about a thousand years, and found this, and did the maths. I was quite surprised it was the same dog. Now I want one...

By sister and b-i-l have had a bunch over the years. Be aware....they are very high energy. But, generally, they are good family dogs. They can be a little dog-aggresive, though.

2 hours ago, CoyoteBlue said:

Hands up if you had that exact look hanging over your kitchen window!

I still do!

Well except that it's made out of material with a delicate floral design, but otherwise very similar.

My windows are smallish, but I love the type (casement windows with screens on the inside), and they would be very very expensive to replace with a similar but larger kind. ...So a valence instead of whole curtains is a good choice. (Fortunately I have a lot of windows, so it's not like a dungeon in the house.)

But in addition to a valence, there was something else that thing reminded me of (apologies if I missed someone else making the same comparison while reading through the comments)... a hair scrunchie.

Seriously, I missed some of the construction part (I need a rewatch), so I was dumbfounded when that flouncy part wasn't attached, but actually came off - and was made with a big elastic thing, like Victoria wrapped her model in a giant scrunchie.

• LOL 9
  • Love 4

Why, when the challenge has the most non-designing, non-sewing elements do the judges then make it a one day challenge?  The designers were spending a LOT of time just prepping their fabric - like they also had to do in the repurpose Goodwill crap episode.  There was NO point in making them sew overnight.  They should have had a day to just do their fabric.

It seemed from the get-go that neither Victoria nor Delvin wanted to do the challenge AT ALL.  I truly think they both picked cotton because they were both hoping to be able to use a muted version - kind of like the fabric Sergio ended up with but then both failed at getting an actual tie-dye look.  Unfortunately, if you sign up for a show like this, you have to do crap you'd never do otherwise.

And yes, I think Delvin is probably an impeccable tailor but hasn't really come up with a "style" yet.  

• Love 7
2 minutes ago, DaphneCat said:

And yes, I think Delvin is probably an impeccable tailor but hasn't really come up with a "style" yet.  

I think he has skills and works well given sufficient time - that parrot patterned dress in the print challenge was beautifully made. And yet his last two outfits have been really clumsily constructed and to my eyes poorly sewn.

I'm not at all displeased they kept Victoria. She has been on shaky ground for weeks, but of the designers left I would most want to see her collection, along with Geoffrey's.

• Useful 1
  • Love 2
13 hours ago, EssieMay said:

Poor old Swatch is showing his age. Sweet doggies just don’t live long enough.

My best friend has a 12-year-old Frenchie and he's getting old. He's always been pretty chill but now he lies around a lot. Swatch has got to be around that age too.

I love Leslie Jones in general* and really liked her here. She's a fan of the show (she does commentary on her IG) but she was more than just a fan here - she had some insightful things to say. No more or less insightful than Elaine, for whom I have no use. Leslie was right about Delvin's church coat buttons. And there are church coats and there are dowdy church coats, and those buttons came off a dowdy church coat.

I particularly liked her comment about how Geoffrey's dress would look good on all kinds of women, because she went through it trying to find a dress for the Ghostbusters premiere. That's how she met Christian - he designed her dress. (The dress in the picture in the article isn't the dress he designed - this was her premiere look.)

I loved the way Geoffrey's dress moved. It flowed beautifully, as did Nancy's and (ugh) Sergio's. I loved everything except for the sleeves - I don't love a puffy sleeve. But I'd rock that with a straight sleeve in a second. (Leslie, it is I who has the nicest legs in America.)

Y'all, that Victoria look was BONKERS, and she and Sergio are tied for the designers who get on my nerves the most. A denim diaper, indeed. This has got to be producer-driven.

1 hour ago, DaphneCat said:

I agree. He's what, 26? He might just need to grow up a little bit - not talking about personality, but about having more time to develop a real aesthetic.

*I saw her live last year and it was a lot of fun (it was when she was touring for her special that's on Netflix now) but sometimes she can be a bit much. There was a point where she was just straight yelling, and I was thinking "Leslie, girl. Inside voice."

• Love 11

There was nothing special about Delvin's dress but it was wearable. Victoria's mess was not wearable. Guess this was another instance of boring/unimaginative getting the boot. And honestly, Delvin has appeared to be a little less inspired these last few weeks...which is understandable, I guess.

So Victoria understands tie-dye but not sheer. Ok!

I liked the top three looks. My #1 is was Sergio's but Geoffrey seems to be a lovely, gracious man so I am happy for his win.

Leslie Jones was a fabulous judge. Can she replace Nina permanently?

Victoria is headed for the finals despite a few straight weeks of disasters. Brittany and Sergio will join her. It's the 4th spot that's up for grabs and, at this point, it probably should go to Geoffrey. 

• Love 3
5 minutes ago, Diane Mars said:

Bad botox.... (and if not convinced, look at the lines on her forehead... Same unfortunate curve ^_^ )

You're right! (I was wrong). I hate that little smear of yellow on the inside corner of her eyes, too, although I loved Elaine's bright green eyeliner.

• Love 3

In defense of tie dye, yes it can be the garish festival t-shirt crap but it is one of a wide range of resist dying techniques like shibori and batik. I don’t think a clothing designer needs to master these techniques, but they should have an absolute command of color theory and be able to apply it to their design. That’s part of what differentiated the successful designs, the use of sophisticated color pallets versus dumping a few primary and secondary colors straight from the bottle.

• Useful 2
  • Love 18
8 minutes ago, EssieMay said:

In defense of tie dye, yes it can be the garish festival t-shirt crap but it is one of a wide range of resist dying techniques like shibori and batik. I don’t think a clothing designer needs to master these techniques, but they should have an absolute command of color theory and be able to apply it to their design. That’s part of what differentiated the successful designs, the use of sophisticated color pallets versus dumping a few primary and secondary colors straight from the bottle.

Yes, sometimes I'm shocked that it seems like no one took a basic color theory class (probably why they all gravitate to black, white and beige.)  And say what you will about Brittany's design, she managed to make an interesting fabric that didn't instantly read tie-dye.

• Useful 1
  • Love 8
2 hours ago, carrps said:

By sister and b-i-l have had a bunch over the years. Be aware....they are very high energy. But, generally, they are good family dogs. They can be a little dog-aggresive, though.

They're toddler aggressive too. <she said while feeling for the scar over her eye received by a Boston Terrier bite to the face>.  Yes, I was teasing the dog, and yes, my parents "took the dog to a farm to live out its life" the next day.  Yes, I still harbor some guilt from the 57 years ago incident.

Edited by SuprSuprElevated
  • Useful 1
20 hours ago, Kaiju Ballet said:

I'm grateful that Sergio didn't come up with a story for his dress, although it was fun speculating what this week's cause might be. Chernobyl? Genocide? Fracking? 

I was thinking “incontinent cats.”

• LOL 19
  • Love 1

Sergio's looked like a popcorn flavored Jelly Belly jelly bean. The cut of the dress in general I liked enough, but I've also seen it before. I cringed at his mansplaining hombre and I don't think it was for the benefit of the home audience because he wasn't doing it in a TH and I'm pretty sure this show has done explicitly hombre challenges before? Not that he necessarily has watched every episode, but he should know if they've done a challenge on a thing, the audience may know the thing.

I understand why Nancy did the pants again here - because here they actually worked. If she hadn't done them three times already she'd have gotten for credit for it this time. Her tie dye was one of the only ones that looked intentionally and purposeful.

Victoria I now find infuriating for a number of reasons, but what really perplexed me here is when she unfurled her tie die she seemed so shocked it looked kinda nice. And I did think hers came out nice. And then she cut it into tiny pieces so you couldn't even see the pattern (ok, we get it, she hates prints) but not only was the design ridiculous, she seemed to be doing her best to make the fabric look like nothing in particular. It made no sense to me. 

• Useful 1
  • LOL 1
  • Love 10
21 hours ago, QQQQ said:

Does Victoria have kompromat on the judges? Is she holding their pets hostage in the Mood storage room? Those are the only scenarios in which tonight's decision makes sense. And even then... just no.

I’ve been following the Harvey Weinstein trial. One of the witnesses who claim sexual harassment is a costume designer. She alleges that she was offered a place on PR and was told she would win the entire thing in order to placate her about something Harvey did. This confirmed to me what this forum has always thought...that the producers have more say than the judges.  
And in light of this allegation in the trial, given how Victoria slips through...I’ve got to wonder.  ....

• Useful 13
  • LOL 1
20 hours ago, Kaiju Ballet said:

I'm grateful that Sergio didn't come up with a story for his dress, although it was fun speculating what this week's cause might be. Chernobyl? Genocide? Fracking? That being said, I think he was the one that gave fabric to Victoria, and the editors teased us with the phone call of death where it seemed he has a really sweet partner.

Poor Sergio.  I think it’s his flat affect speech pattern that people have trouble with.

He did give Victoria his extra silk which saved her.  He told Geoffrey how great his design was.  He’s not one of the negative ones.

He never learned the art of false modesty.  Most of his statements about being a more advanced technician than the other contestants are true. He’s just not supposed to say it out loud?  His dreams are big like the rest of them and probably not all that achievable. But how fun is life if you aren’t able to dream with your partner about making a huge difference in this world some day. 

Sergio’s dress was the technically most difficult to achieve in one day but Geoffrey’s was the most stunning and beautiful walking down the aisle.  

• Love 17
23 minutes ago, Pj3422 said:

I was thinking “incontinent cats.”

It would have been funny to see him explain that he went with a 50’s style dress because that was a decade when people knew how to dress. Watch the judges heads explode.  He doesn’t have that kind of sense of humor though. 

8 hours ago, Tabbygirl521 said:

I roll my eyes a fair amount over Sergio, but in this instance I thought he was explaining for the home audience, and was also aware that his pale colors made the color effects more difficult to see. 

Plus the judges asked him how he did it. 

• Love 5

I KNEW the judges wouldn’t do the right thing and get rid of Victoria.  They’re interested in seeing her do a collection?  I ca already describe it.  Asymmetrical diapers.  Sergio’s was divine.  The use of the godet and the resulting fullness and swing was very vintage Dior and the white strip at the hem was everything.  That would be one expensive dress.

• Useful 1
  • LOL 1
  • Love 7