Type keyword(s) to search

S18.E10: Live and Let Tie Dye

• Start Topic

They only had 2 in the bottom because-shenanigans. Marquise’s dress was a skater costume and Brittany’ some sort of weird ren-fair concoction. Either could have been on the bottom as well but both were just back so that is a out of the question. Nancy put up the same damn thing but got a pass from the ever annoying Elaine.  I question the integrity of the judges...

In the end there were a lot of poor looks for me but the right dress won and Delvin’s elimination isn’t that surprising.  

• Love 8

Leslie's reaction to Geoffrey's dress is one of the all time best moments this franchise has ever had and shown.

Christian's speech to Delvin was so touching and wonderful.

Tie dye makes no sense to anyone outside of Nancy's generation, sorry to say.  It's no wonder that some designers panicked.

If it's having a "moment" then it proves it's a trend and really the designers shouldn't even be learning about it.

Brittany being saved so she can once again do that lingerie peasant blouse thing she always does?  And this time Victoria had the nerve to try and copy it.  hhahahahahahahahahahah!

I'm sorry but I think that Brittany is a tailor, and not a designer.  The only time I've liked her ideas was the first challenge and now I think it was a fluke.

45 minutes ago, staphdude said:

They only had 2 in the bottom because-shenanigans. Marquise’s dress was a skater costume

I feel like if Marquise didn't have that transparent material under the dress, it would have been better and avoided the skater thing.  The way it was, it was veerrrrrrrrrrry skater.

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
  • Love 19
1 hour ago, Archer27 said:

Victoria's design is AWFUL.

Inexcusable.  The jeans WERE ONCE AGAIN an example of her completely ignoring the challenge and Brandon kept complimenting them for having design ideas.  WHAT!?  WHO CARES?  Have I mentioned that *I HATE BRANDON*????????

When Geoffrey is speaking on the runway about this being the hardest challenge yet, Brandon gives THE BITCHIEST look to Nina.  Did anyone else catch it?  

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
  • Love 19

I'm grateful that Sergio didn't come up with a story for his dress, although it was fun speculating what this week's cause might be. Chernobyl? Genocide? Fracking? That being said, I think he was the one that gave fabric to Victoria, and the editors teased us with the phone call of death where it seemed he has a really sweet partner.

Normally I'm not a fan of Leslie Jones, but tonight, her unabashed enthusiasm for Geoffrey's dress won me over. Especially since that was probably a huge factor in his well-deserved win. He really bounced back from several setbacks quite well! He was also supersweet on the runway, about how bittersweet his win was since it meant a dear friend and talented designer would be going home. I wish I had the money to have Geoffrey dress me! Geoffrey FTW!!!!

Brittany--all her dresses are starting to look like fairy manga princess outfits. I did smile when she slashed off the asymmetrical hemline. I'm glad that she helped everyone out, instead of caving to her thoughts of sabotage.

If those onesies were supplied by TPTB, was it allowable to cut them up and use them in an overnight challenge?

The less said about Victoria, the better.

• LOL 3
  • Love 17

Was that Sergio’s partner?  Not paying close attention; I thought it was his dad and he called him “Papi.” (I think. lol).  
I did wonder if that conversation was the death knell for him — or just producer shenanigans.

Victoria does the same thing every week, so how can her design be superior?

That outfit was one of the most embarrassing things I've ever seen on the runway, yet the judges coddled her this week like they do every week. I'm sick of it. She'll be top 3 for sure.

• Love 15
1 hour ago, Thumper said:

Was that Sergio’s partner?  Not paying close attention; I thought it was his dad and he called him “Papi.” (I think. lol).  
I did wonder if that conversation was the death knell for him — or just producer shenanigans.

Maybe he's Puerto Rican?

• Love 1
3 hours ago, bencr said:

Is there some correlation between sleep deprivation and success as a designer? Otherwise, what is the point of a sleep deprivation challenge? I get that sometimes creative people have to work through exhaustion, but to make that a factor in this competition seems ridiculous.

Agree, and it made me nervous, what with the designers working with boiling water. That fatigue could've led to something really ugly and for no good reason.

I think, this week, the judges got the placements just right, though I would've put Marquise in the bottom instead of safe. Christian was right when he said Marquise's design looked like an ice skater's costume, and I'm surprised the judges didn't ding him for that. Why they decided on just two in the bottom this week, I don't know, but no harm, no foul, I guess, because he didn't deserve to be sent home on this one.

Victoria did, though! OMG, that was butt ugly. It reminded me of Carol Burnett wearing the curtains (plus rod) in her old Gone with the Wind sketch. But, when the judges kept mentioning they could at least see an idea there, the writing was on the wall for Delvin. And I'm not crying over that. His design this week was bad, and seeing a replay of some of his past designs, he has been rather one-note.

I'm happy with Geoffrey's win. I would've given it to Sergio, just because his garment seemed to have way more technique in the construction, but I loved both designs. They were beautiful.

• LOL 2
  • Love 10
4 hours ago, Archer27 said:

OMG...Victoria telling Delvin to do something different....RICH!

Ha! Even so, she wasn't wrong. That was just one too many sixties coatdresses for a starchy church lady by Delvin.

I thought he'd be in the finals for sure, in the first third of the season.

• Love 14

Victoria scraps through again. Why won't they eliminate her already?

Loved Geoffrey's dress

I really liked Nancy's outfit, but I'm as sick of seeing those same pants as I am sick of seeing Victoria's same top.

I tried to find the stuff on sale on the Bravo site, but wasn't able to find any of it. Does anybody know if they're waiting until the show finishes to put them up?

• Love 1

Judges got the top 3 right Although I do think Nancy's pants were incredibly similar to several of her past designs. I really like Sergio's I thought it was lovely and subtle. And Thinjin walked/swirled the heck out of it. Geoffrey's win was absolutely the right call. Can I come right out here and say it too, if Delvin had a super slim model, he would have been safe. Victoria's was one of the worst outfits we've seen on the show and she sticks around. Boooo! It isn't in full force, but Sergio is getting a bit of a bit of a Redemption Arc. We see the sweet phone call to his partner, we see him giving fabric to Dalvin who's never been nice to him, and in the previews we see him on the runway defending his outfit for next week. Those teasers always seem to be the opposite of what I think will happen.

Edited by jacksgirl
  • Love 11

Ha, I was in love with this challenge from the beginning because I knew it would force a lot of the designers out of their comfort zones. Having to use color AND prints AND literally get their hands dirty? YAAAAAAASSS! I am here for it!

I would have been right next to Brittany taking notes and asking questions, and not just because of the challenge. If you get experts to come in and personally teach you something, I want to remember every step afterward. But I was just as annoyed as she was by everyone asking her questions just because they knew that she took notes. It's not her job to tell you whether to use hot or cold water for your specific fabric.

When Delvin said he was going to make a coat dress, I was like AGAIN? I liked the first one he made but he needs to do something different. Of course, then I laughed my ass off when Victoria of all people was the one who told him he can't do the same thing again. Pot, meet kettle.

I totally agreed with Sergio's assessment. Tie dye often looks more faded on cotton and it looks much more vibrant on silk. But I didn't agree when he said that the judges are afraid of him. No, Sergio, they think that your "political" statements on the runway are extraneous and they don't care what your opinions are if your clothes are ugly.

I don't like overnight challenges. I wish they had given the designers one day to dye, a regular night to sleep, and then one day to create their garments. Sleep deprivation can be dangerous and I don't think it's worth it for a reality show.

I loved when everyone was having their middle of the night pizza party and they were all laughing and commiserating about their various disasters with tie dye. I love when they put aside their differences and bond over the absurdity of what they're doing. This is a really nice group. I'm trying to think of a season where multiple designers would offer their extra material to other contestants.

I agreed with Leslie about Nancy's look - it was lovely but basic. BUT (and it's a big but) she executed it well and the overall result was really good. She did a great job with the tie dye, which is not surprising since she has experience with it, and the organza cape gave it a very ethereal look. I was really surprised that the judges didn't read her the riot act for making those pants again, but they did look really great.

Sergio's dress wasn't tie dyed enough for me. It was way too subtle. The dress itself was very simple. Overall this wasn't a bad look but it was very safe and boring. I was shocked that the judges liked it so much because to me, the design of his dress was just as basic as Delvin's and Nancy's.

I didn't like that half of Victoria's look was denim pants. That seems like not really fulfilling the requirements of the challenge. At least she knew the top wasn't great and admitted it. That top was terrible. She is lucky that Sergio gave her that silk which moved much better than the cotton she originally chose. When Brandon tried to defend her look by saying at least there was an idea there, I thought but it's a BAD idea! There was nothing good about her look. The tie dye was bad, the jeans didn't fulfill the requirement (on top of the fact that she just copied the shorts over pants look that she was wearing in the workroom), the top was hideous. And contrast her crappy cape with the lovely one that Nancy made.

Marquise's dress looked a little too junior. Christian was right when he said it looked like an ice skating costume.

Delvin's dress was okay but not great. The front seam looked like it was completely coming apart on the runway.

Surprisingly, I really liked Brittany's dress. The soft shades she used gave it a very pastel spring kind of feel. Still not a fan of the extraneous straps.

I thought I would hate Geoffrey's look when I saw the dark shade of green he had at Mood but it ended up being a really beautiful ombré looking fabric. The dress was simple but elegant and it moved beautifully.

Congratulations to Geoffrey for winning. If Christian had been standing next to him, he would have told him, "Tell Leslie to call you so you can make her that dress!"

Brandon's farewell speech to Delvin was very sweet.

Edited by ElectricBoogaloo
  • Love 18
4 hours ago, GaT said:

Victoria scraps through again. Why won't they eliminate her already?

Loved Geoffrey's dress

I really liked Nancy's outfit, but I'm as sick of seeing those same pants as I am sick of seeing Victoria's same top.

I tried to find the stuff on sale on the Bravo site, but wasn't able to find any of it. Does anybody know if they're waiting until the show finishes to put them up?

I could only find Geoffrey’s dress here. 
https://nineteenthamendment.com/collections/tiedye-project-runway-season-18-episode-10

• Useful 1
  • Love 2
8 hours ago, Archer27 said:

OMG...I hate that I was right. Overall, Delvin is A MUCH BETTER designer than Victoria. What am I missing?

The PR judges have long memories. This Aufing goes back to Delvin's napping because he finished so early, remember that? Like he was showing disrespect.

Don't worry, mes amis. Entitled Victoria will not win, nor, I predict, will pompous and condescending (Did you catch his defining for the judges "ombre"?!) Sergio, whom Christian clearly cannot stand.

Sergio should have chosen a color whose shading would've shown up better against white.

Not a fan of the Runway cheers, chatter, and noise from Leslie Jones. 

Team Geoffrey!

Edited by LennieBriscoe
  • Love 14

I'm surprised Nina didn't wrench her neck considering how massively she rolled her eyes when Victoria said she wasn't making excuses for her design right after she made excuses for her design.

Edited by bencr
  • LOL 16
  • Love 4
11 hours ago, Archer27 said:

While Brittany iis being helpful to others, she is still so darn annoying. 

She was helping everyone, but she was certainly giving the impression that she'd hold it over their heads and expect something in return later. I don't like her and her poufy, overdesigned, strappy things leave me cold. And I am a fan of flowy, boho looks.

11 hours ago, bencr said:

Is there some correlation between sleep deprivation and success as a designer? Otherwise, what is the point of a sleep deprivation challenge? I get that sometimes creative people have to work through exhaustion, but to make that a factor in this competition seems ridiculous.

Agreed, this was a stupidly designed challenge. Give them two days and at least the chance to do this successfully! Sheesh. And this whole "You have to give and give and give! and when you're exhausted and can't give any more, you have to dig deep and find some hidden well of givingness so you can run triumphantly over the finish line!" horseshit. Give me a damn break, show.

10 hours ago, charming said:

Noooooooooooooo! As the episode went on you could tell that Dr. Couture and Victoria were going to be on the bottom. Delvin got too much screentime and I knew the judges would never eliminate their favorite Victoria. I was hoping there would be a tie and they could both be safe. Ugh. 

You realize how young Delvin is as he's looking adorable in his onesie. He took his elimination like a champ. I wish there was an All Star show he could go on. 

As soon as they cranked out that hoary old chestnut "At least she had an idea!" that hammered the last nail in poor Delvin's coffin. Uh, judges? he had an idea too.

He was so cute in his onesie! I'd have a slumber party with him any day. Godspeed Delvin. I would LOVE to see him on an all star show.

• LOL 1
  • Love 18

I've gotten so frustrated with this season that I didn't even watch this episode and just read here to find out who won and who was eliminated. Now that I know Delvin gets eliminated and Geoffrey wins, I know I can go ahead and watch it without having a rage fit. I mean, I'm still going to have a lot of feelings about Victoria not being eliminated, but I have resigned myself that she's going to be a finalist and will probably win the whole thing. Because "sexy!" and because Nina.

Earlier in the season I thought for sure Delvin was a lock for the finals, but as the season went on it seemed he was just really great at tailoring and not great at ideas. Plus, he became such a mean girl along with Brittany that I can't root for either of them. Nancy does need to stop with Those Pants, but she still seems to be way more creative with design than Doctor Housecoat and Ms JC Penney's Misses Tops. 

Does anyone remember in the first episode if Sergio had a strong influence on Brittany's jumpsuit design? That was so great, and yet everything she's done since has been... not. 

Sergio annoys me because his shoehorning causes where they don't make sense is insincere, but he is capable of making great clothing. Sometimes when Sergio is going off on some nonsense about "I used red to represent the blood shed by people in wars! [Not really, I just picked a red fabric I liked at Mood, y'all.]" it reminds me of Mondo's outfit with the pattern design for HIV+. We didn't need to know the story behind his design for it to be a great design, but once we did it deepened the meaning and made viewers think about an important issue. If Sergio didn't do the faux cause thing this episode then maybe he's learned it only hinders him. And that would be great because Sergio is capable of making great outfits, plus he's not an ageist jerk which is a bonus in this season.

Super glad Geoffrey won and I'm looking forward to watching Leslie Jones hug him!

• LOL 1
  • Love 10
10 hours ago, hookedontv said:

How about the comment about Brittany’s eyelashes weighing her eyelids down? She didn’t respond but I burst out laughing! 

I laughed like a freakin' hyena when Marquise made that comment--finally the main mean girl is getting some attitude back.  And yet again, her and Delvin can not comprehend that Nancy is older then them and a good designer.  You'd think it would finally dawn on her that Nancy has stayed in the competition because she has genuine talent.

I do like how Nancy tried to encourage Geoffrey about his tie dye--the poor thing was frazzled but then he looked and saw the green fabric and he was relived.  I also liked hearing that he and his dad are getting closer now that they are older--hopefully that will heal some of his childhood wounds.  And good for him for winning this challenge 🙂

And I'm glad Delvin is gone--all season long we've watched him act smug and entitled and refuse to help his other designers but the minute he decides to act goofy, he calls other people party poopers for not wanting to run around in a onesie.  I don't know Dr. Couture, maybe the others wanted to concentrate on their outfits.  What a jerk!

• Useful 1
  • Love 14

Regarding the overnight challenge - I remember an interview with Tim Gunn years ago that said the designers would work around the clock all the time if it was allowed, so the hours they work in the design room are on purpose - in real life there are many instances where you have to work around the clock to finish a project - I suspect in the design world that is more the norm than being able to go home at 11 pm.  I kind of enjoyed the goofiness that many of them displayed in the wee small hours of the morning - Delvin especially seemed to come out of his shell once he was dressed in a onesie.  They also had cots around if any of them had decided they needed an hour or two to rest.  And in regards to Delvin (who I wished had stayed) - at least he never complained about having a larger model and he designed a dress that would flattering to her figure.

I assume that Sergio's colors looked better in person - so many times lighter colors wash out under the camera lights.  The skirt was beautifully designed and obviously took a lot of work - I think that dress would have been a huge commercial success because it was also the kind of dress a lot of women could wear - but it was also pretty basic.  I'm glad Geoffrey's dress won because it did look great and the tie die color turned out amazing.

Victoria's outfit once again barely fit the challenge and once again she got a pass - still not sure what that flouncy thing around the model's shoulders was all about.  

I still like Brittany.  I think she has a tendency to over-design but her outfit this week was the best she's put out in weeks.  I also think there must be a lot more to Brittany than we are seeing on the show because she seems to get along well with the majority of the rest of the designers.  And yes, she certainly has been a mean girl at times towards Nancy but sometimes some people just don't mesh well.  Nancy seems to be a very nice person but she's lucky that her signature pants looked much better in the fabric this week than they did in the last two times she has put them down the runway.

Marquise's skater costume was safe, nothing more and nothing less.

Lezlie Jones was hilarious.

• Love 6
11 hours ago, WaltersHair said:

I feel like Victoria is the Emperor's new clothes and the judges are the blind people. If this was Woodstock, they'd make an announcement "There is some bad heroi-er- judging going on. Do not take any of it."

Victoria? Really? Her?

(Slightly OT Ramble) Also...while I'm too young to have been at Woodstock, I did see the documentary about it when I was in HS. The warning was about the brown acid. (sigh) I'll just shuffle my old ass back to the back now.

Edited by Captain Asshat
  • LOL 2
  • Love 3
10 hours ago, Ms Blue Jay said:

Leslie's reaction to Geoffrey's dress is one of the all time best moments this franchise has ever had and shown.

“Don’t wrinkle my dress!!”

And there aren’t enough 🙄 for Sergio describing Ombré to the plebe judges. I think his attitude is what is going to get him aufed.

• LOL 1
  • Love 16
14 hours ago, WaltersHair said:

I did tie dye stuff in art class at age 13. It was fun not scary. These people are acting like they're doing brain surgery.

I get why they'd feel that way, considering the uncertainty of how their fabric will come out of the dyeing process (especially if tie dyeing is new to them; it wasn't new to Nancy and she wasn't too worried about it), and time constraints, into which they need to allow for drying. It's not like they're at home--or in junior high art class--just leisurely trying to see what happens if they attempt a new technique. 

Tie dye makes no sense to anyone outside of Nancy's generation, sorry to say.  It's no wonder that some designers panicked.

If it's having a "moment" then it proves it's a trend and really the designers shouldn't even be learning about it.

Tell that to the thousands of Phish fans who are younger than I am. Tie dye has never not been a thing; people outside on Nancy's age group know perfectly well what it is. 

I'm grateful that Sergio didn't come up with a story for his dress, although it was fun speculating what this week's cause might be. Chernobyl? Genocide? Fracking?

Hmmmm, wasn't there once a story about, hmmmm...some guy in power who may or may not have had an affinity for certain bodily fluids during a trip to Russia? Haha, sorry.

As far as what Victoria was herself wearing -- was it actual shorts over jeans (because [1] that does not seem comfortable, and [2] the outer thing cut was so high that it would have basically been a denim thong)? Or was it just the top of jeans worn like a belt? Either way, I do not like it.

Also, Victoria's design's top looked like someone cut off most of the front of a grandma nightgown but left the back on to look like a cape.

Edited by TattleTeeny
  • LOL 10
  • Love 7

I know that the fact that Victoria is still around is rather annoying but I have to say I wasn't completely repulsed by that top. Yes, it was A LOT but I kind of liked the cape in the back. Not necessarily because is was fabulous but because it was different and a little interesting. The front was okay and I was digging the color, the dye and the ruffling. Again, I didn't think it was the greatest thing ever but when it came down the runway I thought to myself.. Hmmmm, it could work... I guess I liked that it was different and interesting although odd. It didn't come across as ugly per se, just weird and maybe a little confusing but hell a lot of fashion comes across that way it just depends on who the customer is right? So I felt like the top was a complete look and a complete idea even though Victoria was a little bit all over the place with the pants. Now those pants were a hell no but I did think the top was interesting enough to earn her the IN.

Delvin's just didn't bring anything original AT ALL. Being able to construct a garment isn't the meat and potatoes of the show. Of course you need to be able to execute a garment but you also need to execute an idea.

• Love 4
31 minutes ago, TattleTeeny said:

Tell that to the thousands of Phish fans who are younger than I am. Tie dye has never not been a thing; people outside on Nancy's age group know perfectly well what it is. 

That's great.  I guess I just kind of find it niche.  There are about a million different styles and techniques out there, but I don't know if I find tie-dye really broad enough that the designers should need this technique for the future.