Type keyword(s) to search

S18.E10: Live and Let Tie Dye

• Start Topic

On 2/14/2020 at 3:38 PM, Callaphera said:

Geoffrey, I love you, my dude. I've been pulling for you since the beginning. But can we get through one whole episode - one runway - without you crying? Yeah, I know you were super tired and emotions tend to splooge out of people in that condition but just one damned show without tears. Happy, sad, mad, neutral, Geoffrey's crying. He probably cries when a lady bug lands on his shoulder. And when he's out of ketchup for his fries (okay, that would do me in, too). No matter the situation, Geoffrey's here with the wavering voice and the watery eyes like me in spring when the flowers start blooming just minus a lot of sneezing and "Oh, God. Kill me now."

Men showing emotions is a good thing.

• Love 19
9 hours ago, carrps said:

Sergio's was pretty, but also pretty basic. Thijin werked it.

Thijin is so gorgeous she can sell anything. If we were back in the top model days, she'd be it.

• Love 5
37 minutes ago, Fake Jan Brady said:

Men showing emotions is a good thing.

I'm not disputing that? Show emotion all you want. I was just pointing out a (annoying to me) trend - the judges don't even have to say anything critical to Geoffrey, he tears up just talking about his design before they give him the yay or nay. I'm not saying that he should be an emotionless robot, I'm just saying that it's becoming a little old hat. Too bad the husband watches with me, otherwise I would put $5 on the fact that Geoffrey and/or Brittany will cry in an episode and I could make some easy cash.   

• LOL 2
  • Love 9

Leslie not only needs to be a permanent judge on this show, she needs to be on every show there is.  All of them. Whenever she wants.  I love her so much.

I'm a little disappointed that Sergio decided to forgo the political commentary this week. I was looking forward to seeing what important social cause could be linked to tie-dye.  Maybe the plight of gray-haired women in Bangkok?  C’mon, Sergio, get creative! 😉

• LOL 8
  • Love 1
20 hours ago, Ms Blue Jay said:

That's great.  I guess I just kind of find it niche.  There are about a million different styles and techniques out there, but I don't know if I find tie-dye really broad enough that the designers should need this technique for the future.

One can say this about virtually every fashion trend and movement, and certainly about many  previous "Project Runway" challenges, to wit:

--Unconventional Materials;

--Avant-Garde;

--Designing Just for Heidi Klum's Lingerie Line;

--More: 

https://fashionista.com/2012/07/dont-bore-nina-the-10-most-ridiculous-project-runway-challenges-ever

Anyway, see 2019:

https://www.vox.com/the-goods/2019/8/22/20813844/tie-dye-history

Edited by LennieBriscoe
  • Love 4
5 hours ago, 30 Helens said:

Leslie not only needs to be a permanent judge on this show, she needs to be on every show there is.  All of them. Whenever she wants.  I love her so much.

I'm a little disappointed that Sergio decided to forgo the political commentary this week. I was looking forward to seeing what important social cause could be linked to tie-dye.  Maybe the plight of gray-haired women in Bangkok?  C’mon, Sergio, get creative! 😉

I think he maybe realized after seeing Leslie Jones: no. Don't kid a kidder. 

• Love 1
10 hours ago, Pattycake2 said:

Sergio’s was divine.  The use of the godet and the resulting fullness and swing was very vintage Dior and the white strip at the hem was everything.  That would be one expensive dress.

Sergio should have won, in my opinion. The need to be able to mass-produce it cheaply did him in.

I disagree that any woman could wear Geoffrey's dress. It was a great look for the runway, but the idea that any woman could wear it is ridiculous - and if she could, where would she wear it? How often is there an occasion to wear a cut-down-to-here, slit-up-to-there gown? It looked fantastic on the razor slim model, but how would it look on me? Gawd, I don't want to tell you.

I liked Nancy's look a lot and it was something that would be flattering to many body shapes. I thought it was interesting that the judges liked it more with the removal of the (very 60's-70's) headband. But it wasn't the winner.

I have been rooting for Delvin, but he stalled in the shirtdress lane for far too long. It became the unforgivable yawn. He was the right designer to eliminate. Because...

Victoria. She is such a pill. But when her look first hit the runway, before one realized there was a fucking diaper over the jeans, and later, the reveal of the atrocity of the pieces of the top, it kind of read as take on the ultra-cool tie dye peasant top with jeans look (yes, again from the 60's - 70's, because: tie dye). If she had the imagination and/or guts to make hip-hugger, flared jeans and embrace the off the shoulder top... maybe it would have looked dated, but it could have been fabulous. In any event, it was more interesting and certainly sparked more controversy than Delvin's.

There should have been a bottom three that included Marquis' figure skating outfit.

Edited by Ashforth
  • Useful 1
  • Love 12

To the above poster who commented that early to mid 60 year olds were likely not really at Woodstock. With respect, I'm 66 and have old classmates (my age) who were, indeed, at Woodstock. We lived in New Jersey and they hitched up the NY Thruway and had a helluva time. My BF at the time's sister did the same as did my own brother and cousin. I didn't join them because I was in Europe that summer (dad was an Army colonel and military family could travel incredibly cheaply back then).

They were in their mid teens and still talk about it.

Edited by Beden
typo, oops
  • Useful 1
  • Love 12
6 hours ago, 30 Helens said:

After working through the night on the challenge, Sergio would probably relate to sweatshop conditions in Bangladesh.

• LOL 12
  • Love 1

This season looks like a corral full of one-trick ponies.  Every week we get variations of each designers signature look; some are more interesting than others but it's repetition, repetition, repetition.

Devlin was straight up jacked.  His dress was boring and a repeat of what he's done before, but he's shown that he can design for a full-figured woman and that's something in this competition which isn't as body-positive as it claims to be. 

The irony about Devlin is he wears the lab coat that French designers of the 50s wore because he wants to emulate them.  Meanwhile, week after week, Sergio sends an outfit copied from those same designers.  This latest dress was a Dior knockoff.  It looked just as beautiful now as it did back in the 50s. 

Nancy is an interesting woman but she's been sending those same fucking pants down the runway for weeks now.  I'm glad that someone dredged up the Quick Sew pattern from the 70s just to show that Nancy isn't doing anything new.  This week the challenge was in her wheelhouse and her design was lovely.  I think she should have won.

Geoffrey is a nice guy and he's benefiting from that.  I wonder if his clothes would be as well-liked if HE wasn't as well-liked.  The design of his dress wasn't anything special but the fabric really made it glow.  And 6' Leslie can say it would look good on ANY woman but I have to wonder how good it would look on a shorter, rounder woman.

I have no words for Brittany because I don't know why she's still there. other than the producers think she's 'interesting'.  Chelsey was a much better designer and appeared to be 'interesting' too but she wasn't loud or obnoxious which seems to be more important than being a good designer on this show.

I liked Marquise's dress.  It was young and cute.  Yeah, it looked a bit like a skater's dress but it's a fucking tie-dye challenge. 

The travesty that Victoria sent down the runway was a disgrace.  How many times does she have to completely ignore the challenge before she's penalized for it. The judges seem to be afraid of Victoria.  They appear to be desperate for her approval instead of the other way around.  She must remind them of the 'cool girl' they idolized in high school, who smoked French cigarettes and was 'arty'.  These designers are too deluded to realize that Victoria isn't anywhere NEAR cool. She's just arrogant and difficult and gets away with it week after week.  I wish Victoria WOULD win this shitshow, so the fashion industry made up of thousands of REALLY cool people would tear her to pieces in record time.

• Useful 1
  • LOL 1
  • Love 10

I so agree about Chelsey and Victoria. Wanted to see more from one and am over the other. I may let my bias for a weeping man get to me about Geoffrey, but he creates some lovely clothes. He can be hit or miss, but when he hits, it's out of the park. Sergio I kind of love to hate, but he makes some beautiful dresses. Nancy makes the same pants, but I'd probably buy them.

• Love 7

Y’all, the fix is in. Know how I know? Karlie was sporting the same shape of cat-eye liner that Victoria wears. Add that to Nina’s sigh after Victoria removed the shoulder scrunchie: “Yeah. All right.” The judges are being assimilated and Victoria will win. 

Love Geoffrey. I hope he wins and that he does it via a truly spectacular collection so that there’s no question as to why he won.

Leslie is great in small doses and that “But Marquise safe,” flooded my basement, haha. Please have her return, Bravo.

(on tie dye: I tie-bleached a shirt in high school, and it fell apart while I was wearing it. Oops)

• LOL 6
  • Love 8
38 minutes ago, mightysparrow said:

Every week we get variations of each designers signature look; some are more interesting than others but it's repetition, repetition, repetition.

and was it this week that Brittany was going to YET AGAIN do a two-length skirt? WHY WHY WHY?

• Love 7
15 hours ago, DAthene said:

I’ve been following the Harvey Weinstein trial. One of the witnesses who claim sexual harassment is a costume designer. She alleges that she was offered a place on PR and was told she would win the entire thing in order to placate her about something Harvey did. This confirmed to me what this forum has always thought...that the producers have more say than the judges.  
And in light of this allegation in the trial, given how Victoria slips through...I’ve got to wonder.  ....

The world has known this about these types of shows since forever. They run a disclaimer during the end credits of every competition show that you watch saying that producers not judges have the final say in who is eliminated and wins the ultimate prize.

This was displayed during season 2 of Top Chef when 4 of the 5 remaining contestants hatched a plan to physically assault the 5th contestant. Tom Colicchio wanted to boot the 4 contestants. The producers overruled him. The one contestant, who put hands on the 5th, was eliminated. The 3 conspirators were allowed to proceed.

It's was clear for a long time during the Lifetime years that contestants who didn't have the goods were allowed to proceed. I don't like Victoria's work, but I'm not sure something Weinstein like is at play especially because he's been shut out of production for years since the allegations came to light. There are loads of designers that I don't like who continued further than I thought they should. I think Victoria is just one more in a long line. It might be producers, judges, a combo of the two, or something wonderous about her clothing that isn't coming across on TV.

• Useful 1
  • Love 7
38 minutes ago, mightysparrow said:

This season looks like a corral full of one-trick ponies.  

Nancy is an interesting woman but she's been sending those same fucking pants down the runway for weeks now.  

Don't you mean one-way monkeys?  (Thanks Dmitri.)

At the very least she could just make a skirt by losing a couple of seams.

• LOL 2
  • Love 4
1 hour ago, Toodleoo said:

Y’all, the fix is in. Know how I know? Karlie was sporting the same shape of cat-eye liner that Victoria wears. Add that to Nina’s sigh after Victoria removed the shoulder scrunchie: “Yeah. All right.” The judges are being assimilated and Victoria will win. 

Or that eye-liner look is in fashion and/or the contestants sometimes have the professional makeup team do their makeup.

Edited by HunterHunted
  • Love 3

Two things that have bugged me for the 10000 years that I’ve been watching this show have cropped up in this episode:

1) Why do people help their competition? Ever? Do I run down a football field and hand the defense the ball? Do I interrupt a debater to give her an argument point that she should make, for her side? Do I hit a tennis ball out of bounds and say, “Just didn’t think you were doing well enough. Let me help you beat me.” 
I’m not even competitive by nature. This, for me, just falls into that old thing called “common sense.” I’d actually prefer that people get eliminated if caught helping a competitor. 

2) What is the obsession with finding fault with a garment looking like ONE other famous garment? In contrast, most of the garments look like a million other garments. 

• Useful 2
  • Love 6
1 minute ago, HunterHunted said:

Or that eye-liner look is in fashion and the contestants sometimes have the professional makeup team do their makeup.

but twice we've seen Victoria in bed with a makeup mirror "doing her face" in the morning.

• LOL 1
  • Love 2
2 minutes ago, gooberfish said:

Two things that have bugged me for the 10000 years that I’ve been watching this show have cropped up in this episode:

1) Why do people help their competition? Ever? Do I run down a football field and hand the defense the ball? Do I interrupt a debater to give her an argument point that she should make, for her side? Do I hit a tennis ball out of bounds and say, “Just didn’t think you were doing well enough. Let me help you beat me.” 
I’m not even competitive by nature. This, for me, just falls into that old thing called “common sense.” I’d actually prefer that people get eliminated if caught helping a competitor. 

2) What is the obsession with finding fault with a garment looking like ONE other famous garment? In contrast, most of the garments look like a million other garments. 

Fashion is collaborative the natural impulse is to work together, especially if you like the people you're working with.  And fashion is very objective, so helping someone won't make a difference if their design is crap and the judges don't like it.  I don't think anyone should leave their own work to help a competitor, but there's nothing wrong with lending a hand if someone is struggling.  Dayoung wouldn't have made it as far as she did without help.

As for the second, design is a lot like music.  Being 'influenced' by another artist is one thing.  Straight up copying is completely different.

• Useful 2
  • Love 7
4 hours ago, LennieBriscoe said:

One can say this about virtually every fashion trend and movement, and certainly about many  previous "Project Runway" challenges, to wit:

--Unconventional Materials;

--Avant-Garde;

--Designing Just for Heidi Klum's Lingerie Line;

--More: 

https://fashionista.com/2012/07/dont-bore-nina-the-10-most-ridiculous-project-runway-challenges-ever

Anyway, see 2019:

https://www.vox.com/the-goods/2019/8/22/20813844/tie-dye-history

I disagree.  Avant-garde is not a trend or a movement akin to tie-dye.   "Unconventional materials" is certainly a lot more broad than tie-dye.

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
  • Love 1

One thing that struck me with the tie dye fabrics is that for most of them (except for the extremely subtle tie dye of Sergio) the patterns at the seams stood out as obviously mismatched. I'm not a nit-picky person, but that was very noticeable to me. Hard to avoid of course.

• Love 4
28 minutes ago, dleighg said:

but twice we've seen Victoria in bed with a makeup mirror "doing her face" in the morning.

Regardless, my first point still stands. That eye-liner look is in fashion. The fact that Karlie and Victoria have both sported it is only an indication that they might have similar taste in makeup looks and not some secret marker of favoritism.

• Love 5
1 hour ago, mightysparrow said:

Devlin was straight up jacked.  His dress was boring and a repeat of what he's done before, but he's shown that he can design for a full-figured woman and that's something in this competition which isn't as body-positive as it claims to be. 

The irony about Devlin is he wears the lab coat that French designers of the 50s wore because he wants to emulate them.  Meanwhile, week after week, Sergio sends an outfit copied from those same designers.  This latest dress was a Dior knockoff.  It looked just as beautiful now as it did back in the 50s. 

Nancy is an interesting woman but she's been sending those same fucking pants down the runway for weeks now.  I'm glad that someone dredged up the Quick Sew pattern from the 70s just to show that Nancy isn't doing anything new.  This week the challenge was in her wheelhouse and her design was lovely.  I think she should have won.

No one is doing anything new anywhere.  Fashion has been around too long for anyone to be coming up with something completely original.  I disagree that Devlin can design for a full figured woman.  He got that model a few times and a couple of times she looked horrible.  Maybe once he got lucky.  

• Useful 1
  • Love 3
5 minutes ago, Lemons said:

No one is doing anything new anywhere.  Fashion has been around too long for anyone to be coming up with something completely original.  I disagree that Devlin can design for a full figured woman.  He got that model a few times and a couple of times she looked horrible.  Maybe once he got lucky.  

'New' fashion is happening all the time.  Maybe not down at the mall, but new fashion is being created all over the world.  The problem with shows like this is it encourages and rewards the banal and derivative.

I do think that Delvin can design for a full-figured woman.  He never sulked when he got her.  He didn't exploit the fact that she has a 'banging body' to compensate for his deficiencies as a designer, unlike Victoria.

• Useful 1
  • Love 4
On 2/13/2020 at 10:37 PM, Archer27 said:

As per Victoria's....who the heck will look good with a denim diaper (as Brandon said)? No one. Not one woman or man would like their rear to look like a load of poop. And her shirts (over and under) were ugly. Sorry that I am repeating my hating so much on her design. 

And yet I believe it was Brandon who was responsible for her not going home. He repeated that at least she has ideas related to foward-thinking [diaper] fashion. 

Why why why.

• Useful 3
  • LOL 1
  • Love 3
1 minute ago, hoodooznoodooz said:

And yet I believe it was Brandon who was responsible for her not going home. He repeated that at least she has ideas related to foward-thinking [diaper] fashion. 

Why why why.

Delvin never did anything to endear himself to the judges.  He never pulled the 'tortured artist' routine.  He never cried, whined and made excuses about how 'sheer' is a foreign concept in Moldovia.  He usually took his criticisms with grace and vowed to do better.

I think to the outside world, Delvin's biggest crime was his dislike of Nancy.  It's not clear WHY he doesn't care for Nancy and he certainly isn't the only one in the workroom who doesn't have kind things to say about her (he's usually not the one who instigates the bitchery) but for Delvin, it's enough to make him universally hated.  Now that he's gone, I hope that he can build up his confidence.  He's too easily influenced and too quick to change his idea if someone (usually Christian) didn't like it.  Delvin might have done better if he had stuck to his original design, so I hope he gains more self-confidence.

• Useful 1
  • Love 12
12 hours ago, nokat said:

I have a 34 inch inseam, I could rock nancy pants.

You can have my pair then.  Those of us stuck with the body type best described as squat would look horrible in them.

For that matter, while Geoffrey's look was proclaimed something that women of every body type could wear, it actually is something I would look dreadful in.  Us shorties would look great in Sergio's though.

• Love 10
44 minutes ago, Cheyanne11 said:

Brittany continues to be a salty bitch to, and about, Nancy.  It reeks of ageism.

Brittany was usually the one that started her and Delvin's bitchfests about Nancy.  But Brittany gets waaaaay more of a pass than Delvin got.

• Love 10
On 2/14/2020 at 12:20 AM, lidarose9 said:

Speechless about Victoria. You gotta wonder why these free passes week after week. She should have been auf'd 3 different times! Sure, Delvin's dress wasn't great but Victoria's get-up was a grotesque 1970s nightmare. Just losing my mind. This show. smdh

Totally agree. Victoria's "design" was truly awful..in every way possible. Delvin's was uninspired but hers was just an unmitigated disaster. Yet, she stays in the competition?  

• Love 10
1 hour ago, meep.meep said:

You can have my pair then.  Those of us stuck with the body type best described as squat would look horrible in them.

For that matter, while Geoffrey's look was proclaimed something that women of every body type could wear, it actually is something I would look dreadful in.  Us shorties would look great in Sergio's though.

"Squat" oh my goodness 🤣

But I think of you as a lovely petite.

• LOL 4
  • Love 4
On 2/13/2020 at 6:22 PM, LennieBriscoe said:

I made a couple tie-dyed (RIT brand and rubber bands) tee-shirts in my college dormitory bathroom, ca. 1968. 

When I was a senior in high school in 1970, we observed the first Earth Day.  I wore a voluminous and hideous garment  fashioned from a sheet that I had tie-dyed in shades of green. 

• Love 9
5 hours ago, Beden said:

To the above poster who commented that early to mid 60 year olds were likely not really at Woodstock. With respect, I'm 66 and have old classmates (my age) who were, indeed, at Woodstock. We lived in New Jersey and they hitched up the NY Thruway and had a helluva time. My BF at the time's sister did the same as did my own brother and cousin. I didn't join them because I was in Europe that summer (dad was an Army colonel and military family could travel incredibly cheaply back then).

They were in their mid teens and still talk about it.

I was seventeen when Woodstock took place...lots of my friends went to it. I wish I had gone but my summer job kept me from attending...I really needed the money at the time. So whoever wrongly stated that early-mid 60's were likely not to have gone to Woodstock is just wrong. True, most of the attendees were people that are probably now in their late 60's early 70's but there were a fair number of high schoolers that attended...16-19 year olds.

• Useful 1
  • Love 3
29 minutes ago, mightysparrow said:

Brittany was usually the one that started her and Delvin's bitchfests about Nancy.  But Brittany gets waaaaay more of a pass than Delvin got.

That's why she reminds me of Tessa. Both of them were the self-appointed critics of who was on top and on the bottom each week. 

My only hope for this year is about this time last season, we were sure Hester was going to take it, but fortunately Sebastian (what's with the Johan -- I don't recall that) deservedly won. I don't feel like there is a Sebastian this season though. Sergio is an excellent technician, but I feel we'd see his head explode on the runway if he won. 

• LOL 1
  • Love 3
On 2/14/2020 at 9:21 AM, terrymct said:

It's a lovely dress, but they're selling it for $840.  

I really REALLY want it, but can’t do $840. I love that they have it to size 4x!

ETA: I’m thinking/hoping Nancy just wanted to get those pants RIGHT for once & now she’ll let them go!

Edited by DrSparkles
  • Love 7
7 hours ago, Ashforth said:

disagree that any woman could wear Geoffrey's dress. It was a great look for the runway, but the idea that any woman could wear it is ridiculous - and if she could, where would she wear it? How often is there an occasion to wear a cut-down-to-here, slit-up-to-there gown? It looked fantastic on the razor slim model, but how would it look on me? Gawd, I don't want to tell you.

That color looks good on about three women, let alone the cut. But it was beautiful on the runway.

Re: Nancy and the Sixties. She was 12 in 1967 per the caption so, not so much, although the 60s sort of hung over to the Seventies. When her outfit walked down the runway, I thought "Rhoda would have rocked that on the MTM Show." The judges must have thought the same, since they wanted it without the headband and that was so Rhoda.

Re: Leslie Jones. She thinks my TV sports boyfriend Terry Gannon is cute so she's cool with me.

• Love 3

If they were booting good designers to give Victoria her free passes, I'd be a lot more outraged. But this whole gang seems very hit or miss. I don't see any vision or real originality in Sergio's work, however well constructed it may be. This is not Project Sewing Project. I do like Geoffrey's work and feel he has potential, but he's the only one who seems to have it going on. 

• Love 11
3 hours ago, meep.meep said:

But only if you have a waist. Someone with a larger or non-existent waistline could never wear it.

• Useful 1
  • Love 3
4 hours ago, HunterHunted said:

Regardless, my first point still stands. That eye-liner look is in fashion. The fact that Karlie and Victoria have both sported it is only an indication that they might have similar taste in makeup looks and not some secret marker of favoritism.

It was a joke.

• Love 2
5 hours ago, Ms Blue Jay said:

I disagree.  Avant-garde is not a trend or a movement akin to tie-dye.   "Unconventional materials" is certainly a lot more broad than tie-dye.

You ignore my link to current tie-dye fashion.

Not to mention my larger point, which is that this show is obviously, by virtue of its myriad not-eternal-designer-needs challenges, just that: a show. It is not a documentary series about FIT.

• Love 2
5 hours ago, gooberfish said:

There are many, many examples of people helping other people in sports competitions. It’s good sportsmanship to do so. 

I loved the onesies! I would have been in one at the first opportunity. I would have gone to the tie dye lesson in it. 

• Love 9
4 hours ago, mightysparrow said:

He's too easily influenced and too quick to change his idea if someone (usually Christian) didn't like it.  Delvin might have done better if he had stuck to his original design, so I hope he gains more self-confidence.

I agree with this.  Delvin seems very young to me but is not someone who doesn't have ideas.  I enjoyed his side snarking and comments to the camera, it was only one instance where he seemed to be mean about Nancy, as part of the "young and cool" group with Brittany and Victoria.   I am probably sensitive about this because I am closer to Nancy's age than Delvin's.

Victoria is extremely annoying at this point and her being still here is obviously producer-driven to me.  She is a drama dream come true for them - the hair! her personal style! the tears! etc.  Most of the designers seem to like her though.

My dream final three (do they do three or four? I don't remember) would be Geoffrey, Nancy and Marquise.  Marquise I think has real potential and would hugely benefit from the CFDA mentorship.  If he hadn't had the mesh (whatever it's called) on his design this week, it would have taken it out of skater costume territory. 

I have pretty much liked everything that I can remember of Nancy's (though I would look terrible in those pants) and Geoffrey's.  Geoffrey I believe has put out decent to winning looks with a variety of styles.

After watching the episode again and looking at the pix, Brittany again made an ugly garment.  What a waste of the save.

• Love 5

The top of Sergio’s dress did not fit the model well.

I like Leslie Jones, but I disliked her loud comments during the runway.  Distracting and showing favoritism right away.   As mentioned by many, that dress would NOT work for everyone.  I loved it though and am very happy for Geoffrey.

• Love 13