Type keyword(s) to search

S18.E10: Live and Let Tie Dye

• Start Topic

7 hours ago, gooberfish said:

1) Why do people help their competition? Ever? Do I run down a football field and hand the defense the ball? Do I interrupt a debater to give her an argument point that she should make, for her side? Do I hit a tennis ball out of bounds and say, “Just didn’t think you were doing well enough. Let me help you beat me.” 
I’m not even competitive by nature. This, for me, just falls into that old thing called “common sense.” I’d actually prefer that people get eliminated if caught helping a competitor. 

If you've been trained in the design/studio culture, then yes, of course, if you have time, you help your colleague. First of all, all the designs are judged on their own merits. Your design needs to stand on its own. (On a show like Project Runway, if you have enough time and talent to help a competitor, it's highly unlikely you are the one who's going to be eliminated.) But also, everyone benefits if everyone does her/his best work: the critiques become much more valuable, both for the "top" and for the "bottom." Finally, helping a colleague meet a deadline is just plain fun. You're not ego invested and so you get to just make/play. There are lots of benefits to the person helping from doing that. (Studio artist and designer here, and former student of art/design, and teacher of art and design.)

• Useful 3
  • Love 16

I would love to know how many of the flash sale garments are actually sold. Those prices aren’t really friendly to people buying a knock off of a garment they saw on tv. I don’t know anything about nineteenth amendment is it fast fashion? Anyway I seriously wonder if they sell any?

• Useful 1
  • Love 7
11 hours ago, HunterHunted said:

This was displayed during season 2 of Top Chef when 4 of the 5 remaining contestants hatched a plan to physically assault the 5th contestant. Tom Colicchio wanted to boot the 4 contestants. The producers overruled him.

That was horrible. Bravo lets too much pass by for drama.

• Useful 1
  • Love 6
On 2/13/2020 at 10:58 PM, ichbin said:

I am really sick and tired of the snotty ageism from brats with unjustifiable inflated egos like Brittany and Delvin. 

Me too. I find it just as offensive and tone deaf as when the designers would get mad at having a non sample size model. 

• Love 8

That's great.  I guess I just kind of find it niche.  There are about a million different styles and techniques out there, but I don't know if I find tie-dye really broad enough that the designers should need this technique for the future.

18 hours ago, LennieBriscoe said:

One can say this about virtually every fashion trend and movement, and certainly about many  previous "Project Runway" challenges, to wit:

--Unconventional Materials;

--Avant-Garde;

--Designing Just for Heidi Klum's Lingerie Line;

I agree that the challenges are not necessarily things that the designers will use in the future. Off the top of my head, past challenges have included designing uniforms for postal workers, spandex costumes for female wrestlers, competition outfits for ice skaters, and prom dresses made out of duct tape, most of which do not translate to usable design skills for mainstream fashion. At least the tie dye challenge taught them about dye, what kind of fabrics take colors, and demonstrated if they were capable of learning a basic skill and following directions.

• Love 11
10 hours ago, lidarose9 said:

If they were booting good designers to give Victoria her free passes, I'd be a lot more outraged. But this whole gang seems very hit or miss. I don't see any vision or real originality in Sergio's work, however well constructed it may be. This is not Project Sewing Project. I do like Geoffrey's work and feel he has potential, but he's the only one who seems to have it going on. 

I agree that this group as a whole is very hit or miss. We have Fluid Pants Nancy, Strappy Bi-level Hem Brittany, Jackets-R-Us Delvin, Fit-N-Flare Sergio and Sexy Cutouts Victoria. They are all one way monkeys! Marquise seems weak technically, which just leaves Geoffrey who has the technical skill and creativity. I hope he wins. Overall though, this group is pretty sad.......

• Useful 1
  • LOL 1
  • Love 19
On 2/14/2020 at 5:21 AM, jacksgirl said:

Can I come right out here and say it too, if Delvin had a super slim model, he would have been safe. Victoria's was one of the worst outfits we've seen on the show and she sticks around. Boooo! 

Delvin had more of the curvy girls than anyone and that made it difficult to design for.  Imagine Geoffrey's dress on Delvin's model! The dress is not for everyone. He certainly wouldn't of won with that dress on Delvin's model.

On 2/14/2020 at 1:05 PM, Samwise979 said:

From a personality perspective I didn't really care who out of the bottom 2 went home but from a design perspective it should have been Victoria. 

Edited to add: Geoffrey MUST have thought Victoria was going home. Saying all that stuff about his win being bitter sweet. I don't think he would have reacted like that if he thought Delvin was on his way out. 

Geoffrey knew it should have been Victoria with that monstrosity.  Her model was easy to design for and that was not the challenge and it was not good.

On 2/14/2020 at 1:52 PM, meep.meep said:

Remember that you need to be at least 5'10" for them to look good.

From my perspective, Nancy is as much of a one trick pony as Victoria, and I'm glad Christian was telling her that in his critique.  She did make the second-best tie dye fabric.

They could have kept Delvin with the excuse that he used tie-dyed fabric for his entire garment, while Victoria went off book again, and kind of used it as a trim.  But no...

Has Nancy ever had a curvy model in those pants?

On 2/14/2020 at 4:02 PM, buttersister said:

On 2/14/2020 at 5:14 PM, violet and green said:

I think he has skills and works well given sufficient time - that parrot patterned dress in the print challenge was beautifully made. And yet his last two outfits have been really clumsily constructed and to my eyes poorly sewn.

I'm not at all displeased they kept Victoria. She has been on shaky ground for weeks, but of the designers left I would most want to see her collection, along with Geoffrey's.

I really am upset that this was not a two day challenge.  Delvin having to dye more fabric left him with very little time to redesign for his curvy model.  It takes more time as few designers have extensive experience designing for anything than rail thin tall models.  Next year why not have short and curvy girls for everyone?

• Love 8
37 minutes ago, Kira53 said:

Delvin had more of the curvy girls than anyone and that made it difficult to design for.  Imagine Geoffrey's dress on Delvin's model! The dress is not for everyone. He certainly wouldn't of won with that dress on Delvin's model.

Geoffrey knew it should have been Victoria with that monstrosity.  Her model was easy to design for and that was not the challenge and it was not good.

Has Nancy ever had a curvy model in those pants?

I really am upset that this was not a two day challenge.  Delvin having to dye more fabric left him with very little time to redesign for his curvy model.  It takes more time as few designers have extensive experience designing for anything than rail thin tall models.  Next year why not have short and curvy girls for everyone?

I think that every designer should be required to design for a full-figured model because it IS more of a challenge, especially if you're not used to it.  Has Sergio EVER had a full-figured model?  When Victoria got a larger sized model for the sheer challenge, she basically sewed scraps of material to the model's body and set her down the runway.  The judges ignored Victoria's design and spent all their time talking about the model's body.  The model's body is what saved Victoria, not her horrific design.

Edited to add:  I think it's hysterical that Geoffrey's dress is being sold for $840.  You can probably find a dress like that in any store that sells beachwear or what used to be called the cruise line.  Women are wearing that dress all over the Caribbean right now.

Edited by mightysparrow
  • LOL 2
  • Love 8
1 hour ago, Kira53 said:

Next year why not have short and curvy girls for everyone?

YES. A level playing field that tests the designers' skills equally. I can't blame the judges for their bias toward the garments worn by tall, thin models: it's the fashion industry norm and what they are accustomed to seeing. But when only one or two of the designers have a model who doesn't conform to the industry standard while the rest do, it puts them at a (probably subconscious) disadvantage with the judges.

• Love 19
On 2/14/2020 at 8:57 AM, RoxiP said:

Or all the people who go to the Kerrville Music Festival in Texas each spring - tie die lives there gloriously (of course a lot of those people are old hippies or young hippy wanna-be types...LOL!

I'm guessing Nancy has been to the Oregon Country Fair a time or two.

image.png.96538f39f599c18c6e1429b48fe4ab71.png

• LOL 3
21 hours ago, mightysparrow said:

I think to the outside world, Delvin's biggest crime was his dislike of Nancy.  It's not clear WHY he doesn't care for Nancy and he certainly isn't the only one in the workroom who doesn't have kind things to say about her (he's usually not the one who instigates the bitchery) but for Delvin, it's enough to make him universally hated.  Now that he's gone, I hope that he can build up his confidence.  He's too easily influenced and too quick to change his idea if someone (usually Christian) didn't like it.  Delvin might have done better if he had stuck to his original design, so I hope he gains more self-confidence.

Delvin's dislike of Nancy made me think he has something in his past that made him dislike older white women. I both hated and liked his snark. He got a bit mean girl with Brittany.

• Useful 1
  • Love 1
43 minutes ago, nokat said:

Delvin's dislike of Nancy made me think he has something in his past that made him dislike older white women. I both hated and liked his snark. He got a bit mean girl with Brittany.

Devlin mentioned his struggles with mental health and emotional issues.  But he doesn't get the pass that Geoffrey gets.

Brittany was usually the leader in those bitch-sessions.  Devlin is too much of a follower.  He has talent and if he learns to trust in himself and go his own way, he'll do well.

Edited by mightysparrow
  • Useful 2
  • Love 6
17 minutes ago, Brookside said:

I'm in the outside world and for me his biggest crime was the pretentious lab coat.

Devlin was trying to emulate Parisian designers that he admired.  In my opinion, dressing like them is better than 'borrowing' their designs.

• Love 11
2 hours ago, mightysparrow said:

Has Sergio EVER had a full-figured model? 

He had the plus size Latina for his embroidered kids-at-the-border dress.

And that dress was not flattering to her.

• Love 4
On 2/13/2020 at 10:18 PM, SailorGirl said:

Oh, and Leslie Jones needs to be a permanent judge. Her snark is on point. The "yeah. And Marquise is safe" comment was perfect. 

That was perfect, but overall I found her so annoying!

• Love 11
20 hours ago, Thumper said:

The top of Sergio’s dress did not fit the model well.

I like Leslie Jones, but I disliked her loud comments during the runway.  Distracting and showing favoritism right away.   As mentioned by many, that dress would NOT work for everyone.  I loved it though and am very happy for Geoffrey.

Glad you thought the same thing -- I commented before reading everyone's postings.

Other than her snark "Marquis is safe," I  didn't find her funny enough to enjoy her loudness.

• Love 8
24 minutes ago, sasha206 said:

That was perfect, but overall I found her so annoying!

She's too loud for me. A little Leslie goes a looooooong way. I liked her first couple of comments about Geoffrey's dress, then it was overkill -- we get it, you love the dress. 

The Marquis comment was gold, though. 

• Love 10

I can’t stand Sergio, but I did like his dress.

Geoffrey’s dress was gorgeous.  I loved the orange accent.  

If this was truly based on what was shown that day, then Victoria would’ve been a goner.  Alas, this is clearly not the case.

• Love 7
6 hours ago, nokat said:

I dislike Nancy heartily and she’s much closer to my personal demographic than Delvin. Nancy is AWFUL. I really really wanted to like her, older woman making a major life change, looking for success in her second or third act. Her story should be great. The reality of Nancy is not. 

Nancy is the type to go on a corporate retreat and find it educational and fun. She’d love a mandatory bonding session with trust exercises. Her behavior in the group challenge made my eye twitch. Her clothes are always “how much fabric can I shove on my model before s/he disappears?” UGH. 

I think nothing about Delvin, Brittany or Victoria’s dislike of Nancy was about race, age or gender, but strictly on personality.

Mean girls do things to undermine, control or destroy other people. No one in this situation was doing that. They didn’t like her or her garments so they talked about her behind her back. It’s not a particularly nice thing to do, especially on camera, but it’s not what I would define as mean girl behavior. They never intended for Nancy to hear. Being a mean girl would be to steal her fabric, insult her to the judges, etc. None of that was happening.

It’s not just here, but I am bothered by the inappropriate use of mean girl. 

• LOL 2
  • Love 8
On 2/15/2020 at 5:31 AM, Ashforth said:

I disagree that any woman could wear Geoffrey's dress. It was a great look for the runway, but the idea that any woman could wear it is ridiculous - and if she could, where would she wear it? How often is there an occasion to wear a cut-down-to-here, slit-up-to-there gown? It looked fantastic on the razor slim model, but how would it look on me? Gawd, I don't want to tell you.

That was such a WTF comment. Not just because my under-5' height and Burgundian magistrate silhouette mean I'm...ill-suited to this dress. It's because the one thing about the design that DOES work for me - there's no way to wear a bra with it - rules it out for so many. Or is there a way to wear a real, supportive undergarment with it?

This was another dress where the leg-slit seemed way too high. Maaaaybe when you're walking but when you're sitting?! It'd feel like don't.move.an.inch. Yuck.

• LOL 2
  • Love 5
2 hours ago, BlackberryJam said:

I dislike Nancy heartily and she’s much closer to my personal demographic than Delvin. Nancy is AWFUL. I really really wanted to like her, older woman making a major life change, looking for success in her second or third act. Her story should be great. The reality of Nancy is not. 

Nancy is the type to go on a corporate retreat and find it educational and fun. She’d love a mandatory bonding session with trust exercises. Her behavior in the group challenge made my eye twitch. Her clothes are always “how much fabric can I shove on my model before s/he disappears?” UGH. 

I think nothing about Delvin, Brittany or Victoria’s dislike of Nancy was about race, age or gender, but strictly on personality.

Mean girls do things to undermine, control or destroy other people. No one in this situation was doing that. They didn’t like her or her garments so they talked about her behind her back. It’s not a particularly nice thing to do, especially on camera, but it’s not what I would define as mean girl behavior. They never intended for Nancy to hear. Being a mean girl would be to steal her fabric, insult her to the judges, etc. None of that was happening.

I'm much closer to Nancy's age than those of the other contestants. I don't think Nancy is awful, but I heartily agree that whatever dislike other contestants may have for her - if that is even what it is - is not based on age. You know that if these producers had any footage of anyone calling her an old lady or making derogatory comments about her age, we would have seen it already.

Full disclosure:  I'm kind of the type to go on a corporate retreat and find it educational and fun. *RUNS* 

• LOL 7
  • Love 6
3 hours ago, BlackberryJam said:

I'm so glad you had the courage to say this. 

I don't think Nancy is 'awful', but I do think she's a bit of a tourist.  I don't think she's serious about being a designer.  I think she's a middle-aged woman with enough money to do what she wants and this is her new hobby.  I get the feeling the producers thought she would appeal to a certain demographic and that's why she was cast. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 8
12 minutes ago, Ashforth said:

Full disclosure:  I'm kind of the type to go on a corporate retreat and find it educational and fun. *RUNS* 

I’m the kind who plans corporate retreats in the he that it affects at least one person positively.

• Love 7
1 hour ago, Ashforth said:

I'm much closer to Nancy's age than those of the other contestants. I don't think Nancy is awful, but I heartily agree that whatever dislike other contestants may have for her - if that is even what it is - is not based on age.

Yeah, personally I can't accuse them of 'ageism' when I've found Nancy fairly annoying all along.

• Useful 1
  • Love 5
40 minutes ago, heavysnaxx said:

That was such a WTF comment. Not just because my under-5' height and Burgundian magistrate silhouette mean I'm...ill-suited to this dress. It's because the one thing about the design that DOES work for me - there's no way to wear a bra with it - rules it out for so many. Or is there a way to wear a real, supportive undergarment with it?

This was another dress where the leg-slit seemed way too high. Maaaaybe when you're walking but when you're sitting?! It'd feel like don't.move.an.inch. Yuck.

Yup, I HATE when they say "Any woman could wear that dress."  No, there is no garment that is appropriate for every single body type.  And yes, any woman who needed to wear a bra (the majority imo) would have a hard time with this dress.

P.S. I love the term  Burgundian magistrate.  

• Love 8
On 2/13/2020 at 8:33 PM, Ms Blue Jay said:

Tie dye makes no sense to anyone outside of Nancy's generation, sorry to say. 

On 2/13/2020 at 8:36 PM, Ms Blue Jay said:

Because it's very tacky and hard to make fashionable.

Coincidentally, the same week that the tie dye challenge aired, this week's episode of grown-ish (which is about college students, most of whom are considered very fashionable) featured three different tie dye items. The girl wearing the t-shirt in the last pictures normally dresses much cuter but she's significantly pregnant (hence the comfy overalls) and on her way to the airport to go to her parents' house.

1214966744_grownish2.thumb.jpg.d44b06f15017e53289bbf5860ae41d18.jpg

123544424_grownish4.jpg.7e88c1b1e987976d44717d05a81f5580.jpg

64469350_grownish5.thumb.jpg.aaf275798c0f0f5f0d3323c066ae2f13.jpg

983640975_grownish6.thumb.jpg.e9cb023cedad8e7ca1786d845f888532.jpg

• Useful 1
  • Love 1
On 2/14/2020 at 4:10 PM, SuprSuprElevated said:

Exhibit A, while she takes in Christian's runway show for NYFW.  Fun is fun, but making a scene is a nah for me.  

This is so wrong.  You're at a live event that will be available to watch after the fact, yet rather than actually enjoy it, you watch it via your cell phones.  Tragic.

• Love 15
9 hours ago, DaphneCat said:

Yup, I HATE when they say "Any woman could wear that dress."  No, there is no garment that is appropriate for every single body type.  And yes, any woman who needed to wear a bra (the majority imo) would have a hard time with this dress.

P.S. I love the term  Burgundian magistrate.  

Well now, there are muumuus.  Is that how you spell that?  Caftans might be a better term.

• LOL 1
On 2/15/2020 at 1:43 PM, kicksave said:

I was seventeen when Woodstock took place...lots of my friends went to it. I wish I had gone but my summer job kept me from attending...I really needed the money at the time. So whoever wrongly stated that early-mid 60's were likely not to have gone to Woodstock is just wrong. True, most of the attendees were people that are probably now in their late 60's early 70's but there were a fair number of high schoolers that attended...16-19 year olds.

My parents went (early 20s). My older sister tells everyone she was there--technically true since my mom was pregnant --though early on so she didn't know. My sister is the goofiest one in the family so we joke it is a result of whatever mom second hand smoke inhaled.

I though Nancy's looked very nice when the model was walking. Not so great standing still and I could not believe she added the headband. This is supposed to be fashion forward so lose the hippie throwback. 

I hated to see Delvin go but I did think he hasn't demonstrated great designs consistently. I hope he can achieve his dreams, though. 

I was glad to see Brittany be willing to cut the uneven hem. Enough with that. 

I loved Geoffrey's. I think he's so sweet but I do have trouble looking at him because I'm just grossed out by ear gauges. Trying to get over that. 

I love Leslie Jones so I enjoyed her commentary. I loved how her resume for the show had a bunch of accomplishments (Emmys. . .) and then "Project Runway Superfan." 

• LOL 1
  • Love 3
4 hours ago, Brookside said:

This is so wrong.  You're at a live event that will be available to watch after the fact, yet rather than actually enjoy it, you watch it via your cell phones.  Tragic.

They are recording it so they will have an easily accessible record of all the looks.

Let's save tragic for real tragedy.  Death in the family.  Ketchup on eggs.  White before Memorial Day.

• LOL 12
  • Love 1
9 hours ago, ElectricBoogaloo said:

Coincidentally, the same week that the tie dye challenge aired, this week's episode of grown-ish

Yeah, I get it,  The people have spoken and they love tie-dye.

It was just my opinion, but a lot of people seem to disagree.

On 2/14/2020 at 5:08 PM, DaphneCat said:

Why, when the challenge has the most non-designing, non-sewing elements do the judges then make it a one day challenge?  The designers were spending a LOT of time just prepping their fabric - like they also had to do in the repurpose Goodwill crap episode.  There was NO point in making them sew overnight.  They should have had a day to just do their fabric.

It seemed from the get-go that neither Victoria nor Delvin wanted to do the challenge AT ALL.  I truly think they both picked cotton because they were both hoping to be able to use a muted version - kind of like the fabric Sergio ended up with but then both failed at getting an actual tie-dye look.  Unfortunately, if you sign up for a show like this, you have to do crap you'd never do otherwise.

And yes, I think Delvin is probably an impeccable tailor but hasn't really come up with a "style" yet.  

THIS DRIVE ME BANANAS! Especially when you have the minimalists. Like Tessa last season. The one's that "don't do" print. I'm always like really???? Design something that you would with a plain damn fabric then use the damn print they are pushing you to use. GEEZ! Do exactly the same thing you would do with a solid and use a print instead! Now I get that design elements can clash with the busyness of a print but you got to start somewhere. Design something put it together and then start to edit if you have to but the way these designers shoot themselves in the foot being so damn stubborn about what they won't do or what they don't usually do seems absolutely stupid. So you're going to sabotage yourself and put yourself in creative prison for 5 hours only to eventually talk yourself into "giving it a try" anyway. Like cut to the chase, suck it up and get over it within the first hour. I find it absolutely appalling how some designers just allow themselves to be brats in the middle of what they consider a life changing opportunity. SHUT UP and make something! 

They want to throw in the towel because they've realized they've eaten so much of their time pouting about being put out of their comfort zone only to scramble to throw something together in the 2 hours, day of. That shit pisses me off cause it didn't even have to be that way. It's one thing when an idea just doesn't come together as they've hoped or unexpected technical issues with construction creep up but when the only issue is that they ran out of time and have to rush to throw something together to send down the runway cause they ate up all their time sulking...??? That's such slap in the face to the whole point of the show. And what kills me is they stand there at the bottom hoping beyond hope that they could maybe squeak by with their half assed attempt at any ole thing. Pathetic and I also feel like they've short changed the viewers from seeing what we tune in to see... pretty clothes and designs. Whether it's a hit or a miss the viewers deserve either a complete idea or complete look and definitely a complete EFFORT if nothing else. 

• Love 14
1 hour ago, Yours Truly said:

Design something put it together and then start to edit if you have to but the way these designers shoot themselves in the foot being so damn stubborn about what they won't do or what they don't usually do seems absolutely stupid.

It seems to me that it's fairly consistent that the designers who piss and moan that they 'don't do prints' or they 'only use black' or whatever are generally the crap, limited designers.

Sure, they all have their preferences but a designer designs.

• Love 10
44 minutes ago, Beden said:

It seems to me that it's fairly consistent that the designers who piss and moan that they 'don't do prints' or they 'only use black' or whatever are generally the crap, limited designers.

Sure, they all have their preferences but a designer designs.

Exactly! It's a show about creativity AND ingenuity. Now you may not plan on being such a bold risk taker once you establish yourself, your brand but if you are going on the show then it's pretty clear that there will be some hoops to jump through. The resistance is what always get me. I mean hell, I could understand a bit of moaning and groaning and admitting that the challenge is going to be rough for them for whatever reason. That's fine. It's the one's that truly dig in their heels and for a good portion of the challenge REFUSE to "conform". It's so extra, it's not that deep and is utterly foolish. 

• Love 8
On 2/14/2020 at 12:40 PM, SuprSuprElevated said:

Since anything I would have to say would mostly be redundant, I will just place the looks here, in the order I scored them, first to last.  (Note - Nancy gets only 1/2 credit for the repeat pants and for the non-top, but the remaining four were so bad that she gets the nod for 3rd.  I could barely discern how to place #4 through #7, they all sucked so badly).

phpW8g6PkAM.jpg

phpwMwbR3AM.jpg

phpSQWCanAM.jpg

phpVhik3jAM.jpg

phpmkxUeGAM.jpg

phpa7kGVAAM.jpg

phpAEoKShAM.jpg

Your post is my favorite, perhaps you also posted the roundup last week too, many thanks.  Agree with your order 1-7.

In the early days of PR, after someone was auf'd, they'd show all of their outfits on the screen. And who remembers when the winning look was displayed on a mannequin in the workroom, one more added each week?  

On 2/15/2020 at 11:04 AM, dleighg said:

and was it this week that Brittany was going to YET AGAIN do a two-length skirt? WHY WHY WHY?

I'm so thankful for no asymmetry this week.

Y'all are right about Geoffrey's dress needing undergarments & the high split on the side was a no for most women. Brittney's pink poofy sleeves very 70s, very babyish. Sergio's dress was my favorite. 

• Love 3
35 minutes ago, Rt66vintage said:

Your post is my favorite, perhaps you also posted the roundup last week too, many thanks.  Agree with your order 1-7.

Most welcome!  I wish Bravo would post front and back shots, as often times, the design element (as in Sergio's tuxedo dress) are rearward.

Edited by SuprSuprElevated
  • Love 5
12 hours ago, RoxiP said:

Well now, there are muumuus.  Is that how you spell that?  Caftans might be a better term.

Elizabeth Taylor famously rocked many a caftan!

image.png.b0024cf2a317035a895ef0addaacd574.png

5 hours ago, Rt66vintage said:

In the early days of PR, after someone was auf'd, they'd show all of their outfits on the screen. And who remembers when the winning look was displayed on a mannequin in the workroom, one more added each week?  

IIRC, the winning looks were lined up on mannequins on one side of the workroom, and the losing looks on the other. Old times, good times.

• Love 8
On 2/15/2020 at 3:52 PM, DrSparkles said:

I really REALLY want it, but can’t do $840. I love that they have it to size 4x!

I liked the dress, but seriously, it was designed for a tall, slim person wth little in the way of curves.  Most women in the 4x range do not have body types which would be shown to their advantage in a dress of this style.  

Actually, there have been very few designers on the show who have actually designed for plus size figures in a way that is truly flattering.  That goes for this season or any of the ones before it.  They may have studied design, but they really are ill equipped to deal with boobs and butts.

• Love 5
On 2/16/2020 at 2:42 AM, Ilovepie said:

I agree that this group as a whole is very hit or miss. We have Fluid Pants Nancy, Strappy Bi-level Hem Brittany, Jackets-R-Us Delvin, Fit-N-Flare Sergio and Sexy Cutouts Victoria. They are all one way monkeys! Marquise seems weak technically, which just leaves Geoffrey who has the technical skill and creativity. I hope he wins. Overall though, this group is pretty sad.......

I have to agree with you.  There is nothing from this season (so far) that I can really blew me away, or made me rewind my TV several times to see it come down the runway again and again because of the beauty or joy in the garment.

I'm a huge PR fan, watching from Season One, but this season just isn't cutting it for me.  I'll continue to watch, hoping for a glimmer of something, but I'm just not feeling it.  

• Love 7

I do feel like after last season’s SEBASTIAN, the talent level seems lesser. No matter how much I disliked Hester’s KinderSlut aesthetic, it was still a clear and definite POV. Few of these designers seem to have that. They all seem young and undeveloped.

I do like how Geoffrey does his take on militaristic fetish wear, and I enjoy Marquise’s POV, but so much of what the rest of these designers are doing has been done, seen, or comes from 1982. They all seem so SAFE in their designs.

Edited by BlackberryJam
Ugh, I said Sergio when I meant Sebastian. Smack me.
  • Love 9
14 hours ago, ichbin said:

They may have studied design, but they really are ill equipped to deal with boobs and butts.

As someone with an abundance of both, I agree. It takes some skill (and taste) to flatter bodies that aren't tall and lean. Geoffrey's dress wouldn't work for me because its proportions in no way compliment my proportions. Count me as one who would love a season or several challenges with all plus models, as long as they're all similar in size -- no 6 ft tall size 12s mixed with 5 ft 4 size 16s.

I like Geoffrey and I also like Sergio. I think Sergio is insecure and working hard to hide it, which comes off as arrogance and conceit. I suspect he came to the show thinking he would be top dog and quickly found out he had serious competition, some of whom weren't even trained designers. Horrors! Since he's woefully socially awkward, he attempts to talk himself up by talking others down. I get why people don't like him, but I'm OK with him and have liked most of his designs.

I think its great when men feel free to express their emotions and I don't fault Geoffrey for that. My issue is he does it too much. This competition is a stressful, wearying situation but it's also part of the designers' portfolios. More control and professionalism wouldn't hurt.

Leslie Jones was too much for me. Some of her comments were smart and useful but her antics overshadowed that. The models are working. Loud comments to and about them is rude, distracting and unnecessary. While it's happening the runway isn't about the judges and spectators.

• Love 10
23 hours ago, Yours Truly said:

Exactly! It's a show about creativity AND ingenuity. Now you may not plan on being such a bold risk taker once you establish yourself, your brand but if you are going on the show then it's pretty clear that there will be some hoops to jump through. The resistance is what always get me. I mean hell, I could understand a bit of moaning and groaning and admitting that the challenge is going to be rough for them for whatever reason. That's fine. It's the one's that truly dig in their heels and for a good portion of the challenge REFUSE to "conform". It's so extra, it's not that deep and is utterly foolish. 

Yes, this!!!! I'm currently reading Schiaparelli's autobiography, and if she had been half as timid as this bunch, she'd have never had a career at all.

• Love 5