Type keyword(s) to search

S18.E10: Live and Let Tie Dye

• Start Topic

-Ugh, Sergio. He is obviously entitled to his opinions and causes but how is it possible for him to be so incredibly un-self-aware of how ridiculous and ignorant he sounds? He seems talented, I wish he didn't make my eyes roll so hard.

-Nancy...I think she is just coming off as kind of humorless and dry.  But, I bet in real life, she is sweet and funny in a low-key way. I think reality tv is generally kind of age-ist. But that said, I just watched a UK interior design show on netflix and there was an older contestant who was lovely and everyone cried (including me) cried when she left. 

-

• Love 5
11 hours ago, carrps said:

Yes, this!!!! I'm currently reading Schiaparelli's autobiography, and if she had been half as timid as this bunch, she'd have never had a career at all.

LOVE HER!!!! I'd love to see a contestant like that on PR with bold ideas, a love of color, and design skills.

• Love 4
On 2/14/2020 at 4:55 PM, violet and green said:

He looked old in that ep, sort of grey in the muzzle. I am inordinantly pleased Swatch is Swatch.

My friend visited Mood recently and said that Swatch did not look well. 😞

On 2/14/2020 at 8:14 PM, theatremouse said:

Sergio's looked like a popcorn flavored Jelly Belly jelly bean. ...

I understand why Nancy did the pants again here - because here they actually worked. If she hadn't done them three times already she'd have gotten for credit for it this time. Her tie dye was one of the only ones that looked intentionally and purposeful.

Yes! re the popcorn Jelly Belly! I did love the color and pattern, but I was surprised that the judges didn't comment on how understated it was. 

I do agree about the pants--I think this is often a reason why designers repeat--because they want to get it right. In this case it really worked.

On 2/16/2020 at 11:51 AM, mightysparrow said:

Devlin mentioned his struggles with mental health and emotional issues.  But he doesn't get the pass that Geoffrey gets.

Brittany was usually the leader in those bitch-sessions.  Devlin is too much of a follower.  He has talent and if he learns to trust in himself and go his own way, he'll do well.

No doubt, Geoffrey is very fragile, but his fragility has only steered him toward kindness--almost to an extreme degree. It's hardly the same thing as Delvin's behavior. Delvin took pleasure in being unkind. I don't see him as a follower at all. If anything, I see him as completely his own man, which is commendable. I don't think he's the devil or anything, but his behavior toward and about Nancy did not paint him in a great light.

On 2/16/2020 at 5:27 PM, BlackberryJam said:

Nancy is the type to go on a corporate retreat and find it educational and fun. She’d love a mandatory bonding session with trust exercises. Her behavior in the group challenge made my eye twitch. Her clothes are always “how much fabric can I shove on my model before s/he disappears?” UGH. 

I think nothing about Delvin, Brittany or Victoria’s dislike of Nancy was about race, age or gender, but strictly on personality.

I can't criticize Nancy for being someone who embraces situations like that, even when most of the class would rather be anywhere else. Experiences like corporate retreats (and perhaps, the Project Runway workroom) are much better when people are pleasant and open-minded about them--otherwise it's a complete waste of time. I do agree that Delvin and Brittany's feelings about Nancy are not "ageist" necessarily—rather, I think they don't care for her personality, and Nancy's personality is likely influenced by her age. She is too old and life-experienced to care much about what the likes of Brittany think of her. She is enjoying the PR experience as much as she can, and good for her! (To be fair--I am pretty sure I wouldn't enjoy it too much either, but I can't fault her for it.)

I dislike the way Karlie strikes her poses before she comes out on the runway. It feels very forced and silly. Did Heidi do that? I can't recall. 

• Love 6
2 hours ago, lovinbob said:

Yes! re the popcorn Jelly Belly!

I can't criticize Nancy for being someone who embraces situations like that, even when most of the class would rather be anywhere else. Experiences like corporate retreats (and perhaps, the Project Runway workroom) are much better when people are pleasant and open-minded about them--otherwise it's a complete waste of time.

I dislike the way Karlie strikes her poses before she comes out on the runway. It feels very forced and silly. Did Heidi do that? I can't recall. 

I just have to say I've heard people say the popcorn Jelly Belly is the most disgusting flavor, but I love them. 😋

My experience with corporate retreats and team-building (?) activities is that they're run by brown-nosers, ass-kissers, and what the Brits would call "swots." I've always hated them and found them more demoralizing than otherwise. So, that aspect of Nancy's personality is a bit of a turn-off for me. Overall, though, I like her and her designs.

Ugh. Karli's poses. Yes, let's all swoon over the super model. Barf.

• Love 4
17 hours ago, carrps said:

Heidi did, but her posing was ??? Less stiff? Less awkward-looking?

Heidi was a REAL super-model, like her or not.  I don't know what Karlie is but I get the impression that she's basically the best this show can do.  I'm sure the high profile family connection gave her a leg up.

Edited by mightysparrow
  • Love 1

Karlie IS a real supermodel. Even a quick look at her Wiki shows that she has all the credentials. She's also very supportive of initiatives for girls wanting to study computer coding.

I don't particularly like her personality or her take on hosting, but when it comes to modeling, she's the real deal. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 6
On 2/13/2020 at 10:38 PM, Callaphera said:

Geoffrey, I love you, my dude. I've been pulling for you since the beginning. But can we get through one whole episode - one runway - without you crying? Yeah, I know you were super tired and emotions tend to splooge out of people in that condition but just one damned show without tears. Happy, sad, mad, neutral, Geoffrey's crying. He probably cries when a lady bug lands on his shoulder. And when he's out of ketchup for his fries (okay, that would do me in, too). No matter the situation, Geoffrey's here with the wavering voice and the watery eyes like me in spring when the flowers start blooming just minus a lot of sneezing and "Oh, God. Kill me now."

Brittany, I'm calling your ass out on this, too. I'm surprised your five pounds of eyelashes (thank you, Marquise) make it to the end of every episode. Just stahp

He cries when he sees a butterfly.*

*Big Brother reference. 

• LOL 2
On 2/19/2020 at 9:58 AM, lovinbob said:

20 hours ago, carrps said:

Heidi did, but her posing was ??? Less stiff? Less awkward-looking?

2 hours ago, BlackberryJam said:

Karlie IS a real supermodel. Even a quick look at her Wiki shows that she has all the credentials. She's also very supportive of initiatives for girls wanting to study computer coding.

I don't particularly like her personality or her take on hosting, but when it comes to modeling, she's the real deal. 

Karlie is an android. She is one of the earlier models. They programmed her gestures, dialogue, everything. That is why her movements seem less organic and/or fluid. The more girls she can convince to excel at coding, the less likely she is to malfunction.

• LOL 5
  • Love 2

I like Karlie much better than Heidi, if only because I have not yet heard her tell a designer that a design needs to have "more boobie."

She also called a male suite design 'fruity'. Not sure if she meant that and went there, but I've always wondered.

On 2/19/2020 at 12:00 PM, carrps said:

I just have to say I've heard people say the popcorn Jelly Belly is the most disgusting flavor, but I love them. 😋

They are the bestest and I will happily join forces with you to slay the naysayers.

• LOL 1
  • Love 2
On 2/19/2020 at 1:00 PM, carrps said:

1 hour ago, Toodleoo said:

They are the bestest and I will happily join forces with you to slay the naysayers.

Though not my favorite favorite, I like them, too!

It's the black licorice one that I hate. (Ick!) And it's easily confused sometimes (like low light situations) with the yummy espresso one. There's also one of the fruit punch ones I really dislike,*** but again it's sometimes hard to remember which one it is until I've bitten into it, blech. I don't like the cinnamon one either: too hot for me. But I like the red cherry one, so again I sometimes get the wrong one and am annoyed.

(I get the big bag of "mistake" ones. Belly Flops. All of the yummy in a slightly imperfect form at a fraction of the cost, and a bag lasts me a long time.)

And yellow is not my color generally, but I liked Sergio's version of it. And that it looked like a popcorn Jelly Belly helped for me. It's one of the more attractive of the Jelly Belly beans. And it doesn't pretend to be anything, but what it is - I'm looking at you cinnamon Jelly Belly! And which for this challenge, Sergio didn't do either! I guess maybe he did learn something from his previous political message gaff.

*** I think it's the bubblegum pink colored one with the obnoxious splotches of other colors.

• LOL 1
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, AwesomO4000 said:

Though not my favorite favorite, I like them, too!

It's the black licorice one that I hate. (Ick!)

Oh, I like the black licorice as well as the popcorn. I've always liked black licorice (or as I call it real licorice) since I was a little kid. I hate red vines. They taste like digestable plastic to me.

• LOL 1
2 hours ago, carrps said:

Oh, I like the black licorice as well as the popcorn. I've always liked black licorice (or as I call it real licorice) since I was a little kid. I hate red vines. They taste like digestable plastic to me.

I. With you. Real black licorice is one of my favorite things! Another one of favorite things is popcorn, especially movie popcorn. Sometime I just want to go to the movies for movie popcorn. hubby will say “there’s nothing good showing” (he has very narrow interests) and I will tell him,  it I want movie popcorn. We’ve been married almost 25 years, so this is not a surprise to him.

2 hours ago, Stats Queen said:

I. With you. Real black licorice is one of my favorite things! Another one of favorite things is popcorn, especially movie popcorn. Sometime I just want to go to the movies for movie popcorn. hubby will say “there’s nothing good showing” (he has very narrow interests) and I will tell him,  it I want movie popcorn. We’ve been married almost 25 years, so this is not a surprise to him.

Taking this to the small talk forum.

57 minutes ago, ElectricBoogaloo said:

You can buy them online or you can visit the factory (and take the free tour!) and buy them there.

A friend of mine in college grew up near Fairfield and giving tours there was her summer job. In the ‘80s, mind you. 

7 hours ago, SuprSuprElevated said:

$6 bucks a pound for production mistakes.  I'm in the wrong business.

They are only $3 a pound at Big Lots. (Heh, not your point, I know.)

I hate buying stuff online.*** You often have to pay for shipping, you can't physically hold the product to know what it's really like before buying, and it's often more expensive anyway (case in point here.)

This goes doubly for me with clothing. Even though I liked the winning dress from this episode, I can't imagine spending that much - what was it, over $800? - for a dress that I haven't tried on. The color may look different on the monitor than it does in real life, the material might not feel the way I want, and that's even before the actual fit and hang of the garment is considered.

I had one experience with online clothing buying - I added a couple of shirts of my own to an order I was making for someone else - and neither shirt was what I really wanted: one medium style was a bit too big, the other too small. A waste of my money, but not worth the hassle of sending it back.

Maybe I'm just an old fuddy duddy, but I just don't get the appeal. I'd pay probably more for the "convenience" of having it shipped to my house, and I may not even like it when it gets there anyway.

Hey you kids, get off my lawn!!!  😉

*** Exception: E-Bay. I know what I'm getting into when I buy stuff on E-Bay. I ask questions, and I'm well aware of the risks.

Edited by AwesomO4000
  • Love 2