Type keyword(s) to search

S04.E10: Light and Shadows

• Start Topic

Lordy, I felt bad for Kevin. A freebie? Really? And sorry, if I sent my SO a text saying I'd actually met my freebie celeb and they said "go for it!"??? Not gonna lie, I'd be worried.

I think the SO was just being flip. What are the odds that anything would happen? She probably texted him that she had spotted Kevin, her Hall Pass, in the coffee shop and her husband told her to go for it. 99.9999999% of the time, the person would just get a selfie with the star and  maybe an autograph. Who would ever think that the celebrity would ask some random star-struck person to go on a date and take them to a personal John Legend concert? That's the stuff of bad fan-fiction.

Then she actually goes on the date and the husband starts freaking out because he never expected that to to happen. And she never expected it to happen either so it was just some weird runaway train which she jumped off as soon as she realized that she might actually use the Hall Pass.

Kevin went way over the top thinking fate had stepped in.  She should have said something sooner, but she just swept away in the torrent. 

• Love 11
18 minutes ago, Lady Calypso said:

I'm kind of hoping for the show banking on us as viewers overreacting to Sophie's call to Kevin and that it's as simple as Sophie reaching out for something other than a romantic reason. 

I feel like there had to be a reason for Madison coming into the scene with Kevin and Kate in the store.

• Love 8
On 1/15/2020 at 10:12 AM, ams1001 said:

Yeah, she does all this stuff for Kate but when have we seen Kate returning the favor in any way?

When have we seen Kate do ANYTHING for ANYONE else without being paid for it?

21 hours ago, chocolatine said:

ETA: I think the issue with Rebecca's clock drawing is that most healthy people would draw the ticks for 12, 3, 6, and 9 o'clock first, then fill in the rest.

This.  And what are they going to do in 20-30 years when people can't read a clock with hands.  10 past 5 would be drawn as 05:10....

• Love 8

The John Legend thing isn't a private concert, per se.  I think they were sitting in on a rehearsal (as in John was going to be there anyway, and Kevin knows John (or Chrissy) and was able to make some sort of arrangement) - at least that's how I saw it.  I mean, even if Kevin and John were BFFs, an actual private concert-private concert as in Kevin calling him up and asking for one, well, that's not gonna happen.  

• Useful 4
33 minutes ago, Lisa418722 said:

I told my mom that Randall is going to Pearson talk so much to the guy that he would call 911 and say, "hey, I broke into this guy's house, but now he won't shut up!  He keeps on talking.  Please come and rescue me!" 

This is entirely possible. My dad's method of discipline was to lecture us so long and so hard you'd just wish you got slapped instead. It would've been more merciful believe me.

• LOL 5
  • Love 2

I told my mom that Randall is going to Pearson talk so much to the guy that he would call 911 and say, "hey, I broke into this guy's house, but now he won't shut up!  He keeps on talking.  Please come and rescue me!" 

Isn't a home invasion one of those cases where a Pearson monologue might be useful? I seem to recall when you get held hostage, it is important to get the hostage taker to see you as a human. You just keep telling them things about yourself because if you can get them to see you as human instead of an obstacle or a payday, they might not kill you.

Logic tends to go out the window when faced with somebody who could kill you, but Randall's best move is probably to back up towards the stairs while re-assuring the strung out guy that he'll let him go. Don't lose eye contact. Try to personalize yourself so that you are harder to kill. Don't cut off his route to escape. You just want him out of the house as fast as possible while keeping him away from the family (hence going up the stairs).

A strung-out intruder seems like one of the worst case scenarios. They are desperate and not thinking straight. Whatever they are on could have made them paranoid, stressed, delusional and/or filled them with adrenalin.

• Useful 1
  • Love 7

My husband and I each have a list of 5 freebies. And two of mine are from reality shows (still very out of reach though). 

I definitely think that intruder was very real. I think he hurts Randall and he loses conciousness, which is why we have the parts from next week that seem like a dream sequence. 

• Useful 2

beyond the basic fact that the full john legend concert including 5 min break is quite unrealistic and way over the top... why the hell are they sitting that far away?!? You could sit in any seat and so you sit more in the back to watch just one guy at a piano?!? Come on! 

• LOL 1
  • Love 7

alot of people are over seeing jack. i am over seeing the love story jack. i want to see the real jack. jack grew up in an abusive home. jack was an alcoholic. we have seen flashes of his bad behavior (think the time with randall and kate? when she goes back to visit the house? there was a suggestion jack was not always great jack).  the kids are messed up. for real messed up. kate has problems we have not even started to touch on. kevin is an extremly superficial person. he can't think past a moment into anything deeper. he is stunted. randall is anxious and obsessive about his mother. they are all nice people, but they are damaged. because of the house fire? sure that was very damaging. show us more of the repercussions in the time after the fire. or show us more of what really went on with jack. they are looking at their pasts with rose colored glasses. jack was a good person, i believe that, but he did not have alot of great emotional skills, maybe it is the actor but he always looks pained and unable to say even the simplest thing. let's see the real deal! if they are going to look back with jack, show us something we haven't seen. something that is important. or dont' show us jack anymore. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 15
19 hours ago, woodstock said:

My favorite moment was Kevin walking out on his date after her ignorant, racist comment about Ethiopians.

Nice bit. I loved the “you’re too smart for me, aren’t you” date. 

• Love 11
On 1/14/2020 at 9:03 PM, Spartan Girl said:

Geez, Kevin went full Ted Mosby with that chick. I knew she'd be married. And now Sophie's calling? All that just to wind back up with her?

I laughed at this, because that's pretty much exactly How I Met Your Mother in a nutshell!

• LOL 2
  • Love 6
On 1/15/2020 at 12:14 PM, 3 is enough said:

I understand that the whole premise of this show is how St. Jack affected every character in life and continues to do so twenty years after his death. 

I just don't understand why Rebecca married Miguel.  It seems like all she really cares about is her memories of Jack, and she is still mourning him 20 years later.  Why even bother remarrying?  And when will we finally get the Rebecca and Miguel story?  I feel like there are a lot of unanswered questions.

The writers did a good job with the testing scenes, but they were a little off in alluding that Rebecca is afraid she will forget about Jack.  Usually it's the short term memory that goes first- even people with advanced Alzheimer's retain a lot of old memories.  The chances are she will forget that Miguel is her husband before she loses her memories of Jack. 

I've been widowed 3 years; lost my just turned 52 year-old husband to colon cancer.  I waited a year to date, then my high school crush and I reconnected.  I've been dating him (with a four month break) for 2 years.  While I had wonderful memories from a 22 year marriage, the relationship I'm in now is the relationship I'm in now. 

The show could've had a "love for the ages" that appropriately mourn but move on. It's one thing to mourn and it's another thing to not be present in your own life, where it is now.   But the writers are so focused on everyone revering this dead man 20 years after, even his poor best friend!

• Love 19
32 minutes ago, sasha206 said:

I've been widowed 3 years; lost my just turned 52 year-old husband to colon cancer.  I waited a year to date, then my high school crush and I reconnected.  I've been dating him (with a four month break) for 2 years.  While I had wonderful memories from a 22 year marriage, the relationship I'm in now is the relationship I'm in now. 

The show could've had a "love for the ages" that appropriately mourn but move on. It's one thing to mourn and it's another thing to not be present in your own life, where it is now.   But the writers are so focused on everyone revering this dead man 20 years after, even his poor best friend!

I agree.  I noticed on the screenshot someone posted with the memory test that it says Rebecca Pearson.  She may be married to Miguel,  but Rebecca is still Jack's wife.  Randall's kids call Miguel Grandpa, but he has a different last name from Grandma.  I really don't know why the writers had Rebecca get remarried if she is constantly living in the past.

• Love 12
On 1/16/2020 at 7:47 PM, Ohiopirate02 said:

I agree.  I noticed on the screenshot someone posted with the memory test that it says Rebecca Pearson.  She may be married to Miguel,  but Rebecca is still Jack's wife.  Randall's kids call Miguel Grandpa, but he has a different last name from Grandma.  I really don't know why the writers had Rebecca get remarried if she is constantly living in the past.

She has had the Pearson name for a long time, and she shares it with her children.  I don't think that not changing it is, by itself, is indicative of living in the past.  I think many widows and even divorced women, especially if they have children, do not change their last name upon remarriage.  (It's also a pain in the neck to change all your legal documents, etc.)

Edited by ItCouldBeWorse
  • Love 11
On 1/15/2020 at 5:10 PM, izabella said:

Spatula is not actually the name of a "food flipper."  Spatula is the name of the utensil used to scrape food out of things, like scraping cake batter out of bowl.  It's also used to spread things, like frosting.  It is not, however, used to flip food.  A "food flipper" is technically called a "turner."   

Actually both are called spatulas.

From Wikipedia: "Spatulas are usually used to scrape within the contours of a mixing bowl or to level off the top of a dry mixing cup. It is a tool with two flat edges on a flexible blade.  A spatula is usually short and about 8 inches long. A spatula also refers to a turner which is used to flip over pancakes and meat patties. It is used so that a person does not burn their hands flipping something on a hot surface."

From Merriam Webster: "a flat thin implement used especially for spreading or mixing soft substances, scooping, or lifting" (to lift it out of a pan)

Though depending on the design, I'd call it a pancake flipper or burger flipper if that is what it looked like.

• Useful 2
  • Love 5
On 1/15/2020 at 4:21 PM, Empress1 said:

Philly's opioid problem is severe (Intervention did a season set entirely in Philly last year) so this is very plausible. My friend is a psychologist who does community behavioral health in Philly and she and her department have had Narcan training. She's had patients nod out in sessions with her before, and she's had to administer Narcan before too.

Where we live, we've 1) been told never to let anyone know if you've had surgery or a dental procedure, because there is a risk of of someone breaking and entering into your home to steal your opioids, 2) to fill the prescription for Narcan that is given to you with opioids now and keep it, even though you think you won't need it, and 3) to use the drug deactivation system that they gave us when done taking the medicine. We live in a rural area, but it's bad here, too.

• Useful 4
  • Love 1
6 hours ago, PRgal said:

The John Legend thing isn't a private concert, per se.  I think they were sitting in on a rehearsal (as in John was going to be there anyway, and Kevin knows John (or Chrissy) and was able to make some sort of arrangement) - at least that's how I saw it.  I mean, even if Kevin and John were BFFs, an actual private concert-private concert as in Kevin calling him up and asking for one, well, that's not gonna happen.  

Thank you - I thought I was the only one who thought that it was a rehearsal and not a private concert.

• Love 1

Once again, the writers with their "big gesture" bullshit.  I hope this show doesn't become a Will & Grace with the celebrity cameos.   I'm so tired of this show and that every man on it is such a hopeless romantic while the women are these complex creatures with mood swings.

• Love 5
22 hours ago, tennisgurl said:

I feel like Kate and Toby are coming at Jacks blindness from opposite ends of the spectrum, and neither of them are going to work in the long term. Toby only sees Jacks blindness and how thats going to limit what he can do in the future, while Kate tries to basically ignore Jacks blindness and refuses to think about his limitations. There has to be some kind of middle ground where they can acknowledge that he will have struggles and limitations, but can also have a wonderful and full life and get to do many great things and things that any sighted person can do (as we see him do in the future), I would like to see them go to some more therapists or doctors or groups that specialize in helping blind children and their families and get some support. Without Kate getting all pissed off and defensive or Toby running for the exit. The retreat is a good start (if maybe not the best birthday gift) but it needs to be something more long term. 

I agree, early Intervention should be in place. I only worked with one visually impaired child in my career as a speech-language pathologist, but it's important because language is delayed when babies/children can't see things (nouns!) which are some of the first words.

• Useful 5
  • Love 1
On 1/15/2020 at 6:13 AM, Empress1 said:

Remember Kate's wedding? Randall and Kevin were in a room with the bridesmaids, including Madison, and Madison did something extra, as is her wont. Randall said something like "Yikes, she's a lot" and Kevin said "I know. Don't let me sleep with her." Still probably a good idea. 

Hmmm, could be misdirection.  Probably means Kevin and Madison DO end up together.

• Love 3
On 1/15/2020 at 9:17 AM, Blakeston said:

Kate specifically told Madison she wasn't invited (after Madison joked about attacking Lady Kryptonite). It was one of those TV moments that's supposed to be humorous, but in real life would just be a crappy way to treat a friend.

I thought the party was just for the CrossFit people, which I assume Madison knew.  She was probably helping because she loves to put on parties.

• Love 4
On 1/14/2020 at 10:13 PM, Manda317 said:

It made me really sad when she was crying as she remembered Jack telling her to never forget that he loves her, knowing that soon she probably will. He died, and now she is going to lose him again.

Oh, I think the opposite. I think that her memories of Jack are going to get stronger and that this may even be the show’s way of showing us Old Jack. Or, younger Jack interacting with Older Rebecca. She will be spending time in her memories with Jack, and Miguel will be heartbroken.

• Love 10

13 hours ago, qtpye said:

Does anyone else think that sometimes American TV and movies like to make light of financial differences because "good people do not care about money"?

I mean it was great that Rebecca loved Jack and did not mind the financial limitations of their early life but is that realistic for a girl that really grew up privileged? It never seemed like Rebecca had any practical plan for her life.

I think it's very realistic for someone who's never had to worry about money to think that it doesn't matter, I've known several people like that. She's always come across as very sheltered to me, and even when she and Jack had financial problems (when they found out they were having triplets, when they wanted to send Randall to private school) it never seemed to occur to her to get a job or otherwise bring in money. It was always Jack who came through, usually at a high personal cost (asking his abusive father for money, giving up his dream of starting a company), and she didn't bat an eye. It was only after Jack's death, that she finally had to step up.

12 hours ago, Lady Calypso said:

I'm kind of hoping for the show banking on us as viewers overreacting to Sophie's call to Kevin and that it's as simple as Sophie reaching out for something other than a romantic reason. 

Maybe, when she tried to get a marriage license to marry her fiancé, she found out that her and Kevin's divorce was never properly finalized? (I hope not, that would be too soapy and surely lead to more of Kevin's romantic escapades.) 

11 hours ago, gonzosgirrl said:

I feel like there had to be a reason for Madison coming into the scene with Kevin and Kate in the store.

The reason is that the show loves to mess with the audience.

9 hours ago, DFWGina said:

I was about to say that she's done a lot for Kevin, but then I remembered that she was his paid assistant.

• Love 9

Kate was the first to find out that Kevin relapsed and immediately drove him to AA, but then she got into labour. Kate is also the one to push Kevin to leave LA.

The writers had a bit of a missed opportunity by not having Déjà and Kate have a special bond in some way. Annie and Tess have closer ties with Kevin but Déjà could have sided with Kate. Or have Kate be close to Miguel. 

• Love 2
18 hours ago, icemiser69 said:

I only know Sophia Bush from Chicago PD.   She wasn't believable as a cop.

On This is Us, it looked like her hair was dyed a jet black color.  I thought the color looked pretty harsh.   I have seen a lot of older folks (much older than her) dye their hair that color in an effort to look younger.  For what ever reason, it makes their faces look much older than if they had used a hair color that was much more natural and lighter in color.

The jet black hair color makes the human face light up like a beacon.

When you are young and your hair color is that color it is hard to realize that when you get older even though that was your natural color that you start needing a lighter color to compliment your other changes.  It is a common issue for people who are new to dyeing.   Where really if you have been grey for a long time it is better to start out blonde and dye darker until it is right rather than going dark all at once.

• Love 1
22 hours ago, ElectricBoogaloo said:

Usually the first appointment is a short test to assess if the patient has any major/noticeable cognitive issues. Some of the neuropsych tests take a lot longer and they can be tiring, especially for older people, and we don't want to put people through hours of testing if it isn't necessary.

When I have seen neuropsychs (2010 and 2018), first appointment is just talking to them about me, my medical history, what my goal of the NPE is, second appointment is the big battery of tests (4-6 hours), then third appointment is the one where I get the report.

Maybe they just don't do screeners with me because I have a well documented medical history or something.

31 minutes ago, icemiser69 said:

Just as real as key parties in the 60s and 70s.

Hall passes are real, just like open marriages are real.

Somehow key parties and open marriages are easy for me to believe in -- those couples just decided they weren't going  to be sexually exclusive, but the hall pass thing says that they expect to be faithful 99% of the time because one  or the other couldn't stand the thought of the other person with someone else, or vows or religion or whatever, -- unless it was a celebrity and then it would be okay.  It's  the celebrity worship that shocks me more than the sex.  The Friends thing is hilarious, though.

• Useful 1
  • Love 3

What Randall doesn't realize that despite the fact that he loves his mommy, Rebecca's decline will have a much more significant effect on Miguel, both in terms of caring for her and losing his partner.  That may be the reason why Miguel was "willing" to overlook some of the changes since the reality of the situation is very painful for him.

• Love 16
18 hours ago, DFWGina said:

This.  And what are they going to do in 20-30 years when people can't read a clock with hands.  10 past 5 would be drawn as 05:10....

Exactly. Kids today rarely see a real clock. 
I couldn’t recreate the cube as well as Rebecca did. 

• Love 2
18 hours ago, PRgal said:

The John Legend thing isn't a private concert, per se.  I think they were sitting in on a rehearsal

A rehearsel would include a sound check, lighting, etc. All Legend did was sit at a piano and sing. He could practice singing at a piano at home. That he had a microphone made the whole situation improbable. And if I were Legend, when I saw that the date had left and got Kevin's explanation, I'd be all "WTF you had me come out here for a first date?!"

10 hours ago, MBayGal said:

I thought the party was just for the CrossFit people, which I assume Madison knew.

But it did not need to be. Wasn't it a birthday party? Normally, one invites all friends to that. No reason to exclude Madison -- Toby knows her, even if she is primarily Kate's friend. Oh, and how Pearson of Kate to make it a surprise party. No small measures in this family. (Even her "gift" of a not-vacation was big.)

Edited by smartymarty
  • Love 9
10 hours ago, chocolatine said:

I think it's very realistic for someone who's never had to worry about money to think that it doesn't matter, I've known several people like that. She's always come across as very sheltered to me, and even when she and Jack had financial problems (when they found out they were having triplets, when they wanted to send Randall to private school) it never seemed to occur to her to get a job or otherwise bring in money. It was always Jack who came through, usually at a high personal cost (asking his abusive father for money, giving up his dream of starting a company), and she didn't bat an eye. It was only after Jack's death, that she finally had to step up.

But you're forgetting about when she was about to go on tour with the jazz band! 

• LOL 2
3 hours ago, Higgins said:

Exactly. Kids today rarely see a real clock. 
I couldn’t recreate the cube as well as Rebecca did. 

I wouldn't be able to draw that cube properly either.  As for the clock, I guess they'll have to take it out down the road.  It's less of an issue right now, though.  

On 1/14/2020 at 11:48 PM, Kdawg82 said:

"You will not get past me" was amazing at the end. My biggest fear- intruders. I hope Beth is packing next to her night stand. But the intruder looked like he was coming at Randall with an old worn out steak knife🙄 Take him out with bare hands, Randall. I believe in you. Or Pearson speech him to death.  

LOL, I can see that happening.  Randall starts talking and the intruder either runs like hell or kills himself just to make it stop.

I sense that Randall will kill the intruder though, or maybe the intruder isn't really there.

• Useful 1
  • LOL 4
  • Love 3
19 hours ago, abc123baby said:

but they are damaged. because of the house fire? sure that was very damaging. show us more of the repercussions in the time after the fire. or show us more of what really went on with jack. they are looking at their pasts with rose colored glasses. jack was a good person, i believe that, but he did not have alot of great emotional skills, maybe it is the actor but he always looks pained and unable to say even the simplest thing. let's see the real deal! if they are going to look back with jack, show us something we haven't seen. something that is important. or dont' show us jack anymore. 

I don't think Jack abused the children.  I think the fire and Jack's sudden death was very traumatizing for the kids.  I too wish they'd get more into that, but this isn't that kind of show.

ETA that the fire had to be extremely traumatizing.  They weren't little children, but they were children inside that house.  Jack wasn't perfect but he got them out of that house.

Edited by Neurochick
  • Love 4
4 hours ago, smartymarty said:

A rehearsel would include a sound check, lighting, etc. All Legend did was sit at a piano and sing. He could practice singing at a piano at home. That he had a microphone made the whole situation improbable. And if I were Legend, when I saw that the date had left and got Kevin's explanation, I'd be all "WTF you had me come out here for a first date?!"

Plus, the date wanted John Legend to know that she was leaving. That made it seem like it was all being done for her benefit. If they were just being permitted to watch a rehearsal, he wouldn't have cared.

I think the writers actually wanted us to believe that John Legend was giving an impromptu concert as a favor to Kevin. It's ridiculous, but so are a lot of the details of Kevin's celebrity life.

As for the celebrity hall pass thing, I have to think that for most couples, it's just a "cute" little joke they have, because they find it fun to ponder who they'd choose. I think most people would be utterly mortified if their partner actually had the chance to live out that fantasy.

• Love 8
48 minutes ago, Neurochick said:

LOL, I can see that happening.  Randall starts talking and the intruder either runs like hell or kills himself just to make it stop.

I sense that Randall will kill the intruder though, or maybe the intruder isn't really there.

I think Randall can de-escalate by talking while someone (maybe Annie because the writers have caught on to the viewers wondering what she ever does lately) calls 911.  If not that, we may see him throw down.  They have shown us shirtless Randall and he has some upper body strength going on.  Either way he will experience fallout.

• Love 2

First hiding it from Kate, then the what I feel is an emotional affair, switching gyms as a result, and now his feelings about shutting Kate out .

Would Kate be upset if Toby was going to group therapy or a 12 step program?  People talk about all sorts of things there and I would hope no one would see it as an affair.  

I think Toby knew that it wasn't safe for him to say how he felt about Jack because as soon as he said it, Kate gave him this look like, "how dare you?"  Toby doesn't want to get into an argument with Kate and that's why he doesn't share how he's feeling.

• Love 4
7 minutes ago, Neurochick said:

Would Kate be upset if Toby was going to group therapy or a 12 step program?  People talk about all sorts of things there and I would hope no one would see it as an affair.  

I think Toby knew that it wasn't safe for him to say how he felt about Jack because as soon as he said it, Kate gave him this look like, "how dare you?"  Toby doesn't want to get into an argument with Kate and that's why he doesn't share how he's feeling.

I think the big issue was Toby lying by omission about changing gyms.  His excuse for the change was very thin.  He was unable to tell Kate he was changing gyms because she was right about Kara and somehow that meant his earlier statement was now a lie.  That doesn't make sense if his feelings towards Kara are completely platonic.  There was some mutual flirting going on and maybe Toby did have some kind of emotional connection to Kara.  He obviously broke it off before it became anything too serious.

• Love 4
On 1/14/2020 at 8:20 PM, movingtargetgal said:

That ending scared the hell out of me.  Mr. Moving is away and I am home alone for the first time in YEARS.  I got out of bed, rechecked the locks (even on the second story windows) and crawled back into bed with the cat.  My husband was right, we need to get a dog. ☺️  

Same here!  It really freaked me out.  The thought that this person was in the house with the family (all women) sleeping upstairs.  What if Randall had not come home that night, what if he didn't go downstairs to get water.  So frightening.

• Love 2
3 hours ago, debbie311 said:

Same here!  It really freaked me out.  The thought that this person was in the house with the family (all women) sleeping upstairs.  What if Randall had not come home that night, what if he didn't go downstairs to get water.  So frightening.

IDK, but it is frightening. However I was thinking that it is BECAUSE Randall came home, like he accidentally left the door open or unlocked or something when he came in. BC the guy came in like minutes later. 

1 minute ago, abc123baby said:

IDK, but it is frightening. However I was thinking that it is BECAUSE Randall came home, like he accidentally left the door open or unlocked or something when he came in. BC the guy came in like minutes later. 

when i watched it back, Randall closed the door, but did not lock it. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 2