Type keyword(s) to search

S04.E10: Light and Shadows

• Start Topic

Didn’t see that coming with Kevin and his date! Knew he would make John Legend happen since John was in the opening credits. 
I thought that was Uncle Nicky at the end (Griffin Dunne was in the credits), but the promos suggest otherwise?!

• Love 7

Next week is Randall and his anxiety. Too much going on for him I guess.

I agree with others that say, please NO MORE young Jack and Rebecca. We all know how it ends up, lets concentrate on the older kids and couples.

• Love 15

I felt bad for Kevin and Kate, and old Rebecca and Miguel.  Surprises with Sophie calling, and Randall's intruder at the end.  I'm here for all of that, but sour notes with Rebecca's mom (and then Rebecca parroting) the "one for the ages."  And John Legend was overkill, too.  

• Love 16

I am probably overthinking it,  but why did the makeup artists put dark brown eyeshadow on Rebecca's mom in that flashback?  They gave her a 90s smokey eye and it was supposed to be what 1974.  Rebecca has period appropriate sky blue,   so they at least know something about the era.   The character is a WASP who would still be influenced by her era the 1950s.  It really took me out of the scene.

• Useful 3
  • Love 9

Welcome back show. All in all, it was soooo good. I didn’t see the hall pass twist. Too funny. I don’t like when Toby & Kate are at odds but I guess you need drama. Also, Rebecca and the testing was sad. Also, next weeks Randall cliffhanger seems a little too forced but I’ll hope for the best. 

• Love 11
12 minutes ago, Manda317 said:

I now think the entire show is going to be similar to The Notebook. Everything we see is a record that everyone is keeping of the family for Rebecca as she loses her memories.

It made me really sad when she was crying as she remembered Jack telling her to never forget that he loves her, knowing that soon she probably will. He died, and now she is going to lose him again.

I'm watching it now (Crisis on Infinite Earths took my time) but I would agree with this if the show does end at season 6 which is what it's renewed through.  Enough to go through the early to mid stages of what Rebecca has with the time jumps.  And eventually they will have to drop Jack and Becca's relationship, and it wouldn't surprise me if that finally dies out in a year.  We know how it started, we know the general up and downs and we all know how it ends (the Crock Pot takes the blame but I actually unplug mine when I'm done with it!)  How much more can they cover with it?

• Love 6

I randomly tuned in because I've ditched this show around the time they decided to kill a Vietnamese kid to further their own bullshit.  Who was that at Randall's house/??????

It's so funny how on social media I've been seeing John Legend hyped as joining the show.  I thought he'd be ACTING.  Playing A CHARACTER.  He's just playing himself?!??!  His singing performance was good.  But come on!  That's a letdown.

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
  • Love 6
6 minutes ago, Norma Desmond said:

I don't think Kevin will get back with Sophie. The only person who can be pregnant in a few month's time with Kevin's baby is Cassidy.

I like Sophie better than Cassidy though.

The flashforward where someone is pregnant with hopefully Kevin's child is the Big 3's 40th in August 2020.  Kevin and Cassidy slept together in the fall of 2019.  This pregnancy is not a result of that hookup. 

• Useful 3
  • Love 17
1 minute ago, Norma Desmond said:

I don't think Kevin will get back with Sophie. The only person who can be pregnant in a few month's time with Kevin's baby is Cassidy.

I like Sophie better than Cassidy though.

This.  When we first heard Kevin say that he wanted to be married within the year and also have a kid, they did that classic soap opera move - the one where a (usually major) character says something profound, and they quickly cut to the next scene, which is very telling in exactly to whom they cut*.  Kevin said that, and then they cut immediately to Cassidy, walking or something.  And, she does have a kid already, one who Kevin would treat as his own for sure.  I know it was said that Kevin's wife was pregnant, but I don't recall if that was within the year or more into the future.  I hope I'm wrong.  Cassidy has grown on me a little since she was introduced but I'm not completely warmed up to her being the one for Kevin.

31 minutes ago, CleoCaesar said:

I have a soft spot for Sophia Bush from One Tree Hill so I was delighted that they seemed to be indicating she’d be Kevin’s endgame/mother of his child. And then the hall pass reveal. Bummer.  

I really like her, too, but I didn't feel any chemistry between them.

* Perhaps a call back to Justin's soap opera days?

• Love 3

I honestly don't LOVE the idea of Kevin/Sophie, just because he hurt her so many times and I think it's way better for her to be able to move on. But, at the same time, it's better than Kevin meeting someone new, getting engaged, and having a kid all within a few months. But...no, honestly, I can't root for Kevin/Sophie because of their history. Sometimes, it's better to let bygones be bygones. So I'm hoping that maybe Sophie just introduces Kevin to his future wife and baby mama.

I, too, thought that Sophia Bush would have been a recurring character, but I also knew Lizzie had some sort of ulterior motive with the first phone call, so I figured a boyfriend...and then thought husband (and then looked at her wedding ring finger). 

Toby/Kate, forever having drama. But I guess they had a semi-happy ending with baby Jack playing with the lights. 

It sucks for Rebecca's diagnosis, but I appreciated a little bit of the Randall/Miguel scenes. Miguel basically gets nothing to do so it's always a treat when the show throws him a bone every once in a while. 

• Love 11

A hall pass? Ouch, Poor Kevin, but he was moving way too fast with her. I'm guessing the Sophie call is a red herring (maybe some relative of hers/ex-in-law of his has died, and she's letting him know because they were family, once), and the future fiancee is Madison.

Toby should be talking to a therapist/counselor about his feelings, not LadyKryptonite or his other workout friends. I am glad we had the flashfoward already to Jack 2.0 as an adult, so it prevents any speculation that his visual impairment will be temporary. Sooner or later, Kate and Toby will come down from the high of discovering Baby Jack being able to detect light, and Kate will throw Toby's comments in his face during an argument. It will probably be THE fight that leads to a separation.

Edited by Dejana
  • Useful 1
  • Love 15

That ending scared the hell out of me.  Mr. Moving is away and I am home alone for the first time in YEARS.  I got out of bed, rechecked the locks (even on the second story windows) and crawled back into bed with the cat.  My husband was right, we need to get a dog. ☺️  

• Love 19
1 hour ago, Spartan Girl said:

I kind of feel like Kate was overreacting to Toby's confession that he was having a hard time dealing with Jack being blind. Avoiding her about it wasn't good, at least he was being honest.

It was an immediate reaction, I think she's entitled to be upset to finding out her husband has been avoiding her/their son because her just feels negative things about their new son. While I understand why it's hard for Toby, I also understand why that would be upsetting for Kate and don't blame her for being upset in the moment. I'd have to see where it goes from here to say whether it's an overreaction or not.

1 hour ago, gameshowjunkie said:

I was sure we were going to see Kevin end up with Madison in this episode.

I feel like it's been ages since Madison has been around? And the fact that she was in that scene had me thinking so too. But it might have been foreshadowing for later, since the girl this episode obviously didn't pan out and I think Sophie is gonna be a misdirect.

1 hour ago, chitowngirl said:

Didn’t see that coming with Kevin and his date! Knew he would make John Legend happen since John was in the opening credits. 
I thought that was Uncle Nicky at the end (Griffin Dunne was in the credits), but the promos suggest otherwise?!

Griffin Dunne is a series regular now, so his name is going to be in the credits for every episode, regardless of if he's in it. I'm pretty sure it's a stranger that broke in.

1 hour ago, Dreamboat Annie said:

I really like her, too, but I didn't feel any chemistry between them.

As a big One Tree Hill fan, I'm always happy to see an alum show up and I was looking forward to Sophia's appearance on the show, so I'm a bit bummed that she seems to only be in this one episode, but I agree, they felt too forced. Their banter and conversations were okay and Sophia is as pretty and charming as always, but that kiss felt so awkward, I immediately knew something was coming because of it.

• Love 13
1 hour ago, CleoCaesar said:

I have a soft spot for Sophia Bush from One Tree Hill so I was delighted that they seemed to be indicating she’d be Kevin’s endgame/mother of his child. And then the hall pass reveal. Bummer.  

1 hour ago, CleoCaesar said:

What I don’t care literally at all about? Jack and Rebecca’s early dating struggles. Could not possibly care less. We know they ended up together. None of this is compelling. LET’S MOVE ON.

I also hoped Sophia Bush might be a recurring character and was let down at the end, although the romance did seem rushed and impulsive. Judgement, Kevin, judgement, you've been down the impulsive road before.

I liked how she mentioned she was from Chicago, a nod to Sophia Bush's long stint on on Dick Wolf's Chicago franchise.😊

I am also tiring of constant flashbacks to Jack and Rebecca early days. I suppose there isn't too much more they can do at this point to keep Milo Ventimiglia in a major role on this series.

• Love 12
21 minutes ago, chocolatine said:

And I thought it was beyond obnoxious that Randall insisted the appointment be kept secret from Kate and Kevin, especially since they live in the same freaking city and are just as much Rebecca's children as he is. I'm not surprised Kate and Kevin stopped talking to him.

Rebecca had asked him to keep it secret.  He's honoring her wishes, but I'm guessing by the time the others find out, she won't be able to confirm that.

• Love 15
1 minute ago, ItCouldBeWorse said:

Rebecca had asked him to keep it secret.  He's honoring her wishes, but I'm guessing by the time the others find out, she won't be able to confirm that.

But Miguel will.

• Useful 1
  • Love 12
50 minutes ago, ECM1231 said:

But Miguel will.

True.  But they'l just say that Randall shouldn't have honored that promise.  They'll be mad that Randall robbed them of Rebecca's final months of coherence (although I thought she was supposed to be helping Kate with the baby, and who was babysitting when everybody was luau shopping?)

Edited by ItCouldBeWorse
  • Love 10

Soooo who the hell and what was that ending all about!?! I paused the final seconds and looking closely the guy is like late 20s, white, and holding a knife in his left hand. The show has a habit of teasing stuff that seems huge but turns out relatively minor/represents a bigger turning point (e.g. Deja smashing Randall’s windshield). I’m definitely stumped but kind of think it’ll be a low key plot point. 

[\quote]I kind of feel like Kate was overreacting to Toby's confession that he was having a hard time dealing with Jack being blind. Avoiding her about it wasn't good, at least he was being honest.

Toby's feelings about his son's blindness seemed perfectly reasonable to me. He's still processing all of this and his reaction seems more normal to me than Kate being all rah rah rah.  [\end quote]

I feel both parents’ reactions were perfectly valid.

• Love 16

With the next three episodes a focus on each Big Three, I figure we will explore Randall’s anxiety, Kate’s relationship with Marc, and Kevin and Sophie’s young marriage.

One tweet I read was that we don’t really know what is happening with Annie and Déjà in the future. I certainly hope the mugger does not affect their futures in anyway.

Mandy is just so good. I no longer have any problem with how Mandy plays Rebecca at any age. She is so seamless.

Edited by memememe76
  • Love 16

Wait, what the hell? A robber? Assassin? Serial Killer? Yet another long lost family member, who has really crappy social skills? What are you gonna do Randall? Do they not have home security? 

Rebecca's story is so sad, I was especially hit in the gut by older Rebecca remembering Jack and the day they told each other they loved each other, and realizing that she could lose him all over again if things get worse for her memory. 

"This family flies across the country at the drop of a hat." "Your just being Randall." Are the writers reading these boards now? Hi guys! Maybe take a break from the 70s flashbacks for a bit now? There is a lot of ground to cover in the Pearson family saga!

Glad that Toby isnt cheating and that he was finally honest with Kate, but he really should have just told her that he left his gym and that woman was hitting on him ages ago, it probably would have lessened some of their stress. Is Toby seeing a therapist? Because this issue with him not wanting to be around Jack could become a real problem in their family if he doesent come to terms with the fact that his son is blind. I mean, is he just going to just distant with baby Jack forever, because looking at him makes him sad? Because when Baby Jack becomes Kid Jack, he is certainly going to pick up on that, even if he cant see. Its an understandable reaction to be sad that things with your kid wont go as you planned and that they will face challenges that kids without disabilities dont face, but that has to be dealt with, you cant just keep pulling away and never dealing with it. 

Of course Rebecca is/was a Joni Mitchel fan! Mandy really killed that speech about babies and how she would rock baby Randall to sleep. I wonder if Joni could be a random concert set up by Kevin, apparently he has those kinds of connections! 

Oh Kevin, you went full Pearson and it went poorly. I like Sophia Bush and was pretty sure she would become the baby mamma, but sadly it was not meant to be. Just be you Kevin, you dont have to do a bunch of big gestures and call in favors to get the right woman to like you! I keep wondering if they will hook Kevin and Madison up. 

I swear, I almost wanted Randall to be proven wrong about Rebecca partially for her sake, and partially so that Miguel could tell him to suck it. Randal is such a mommy's boy and self appointed savior that of course he gets all in Miguel's grill about not knowing his wife as well as Randall does, acting like he cant take care of her and only Randall can handle it, and not even telling Kevin and Kate about their moms medical problems because Randall knows best. Yeah I kinda get why they dont want to tell them until they know for sure that something is wrong (Kate has her baby, they might be worried that Kevin could relapse) but if they dont tell them now, its just a fully shitty thing. Its already pretty shitty, but now we have moved into monster shitty. They're her children too, they deserve to know whats happening. Yeah Rebecca asked him not to say anything, but the need to know at some point guys! Dont apologize to him Miguel, I was so enjoying you calling him out on his Randall-ness. 

Edited by tennisgurl
  • Love 22
25 minutes ago, 3 is enough said:

Also, it made me sad that they showed Rebecca alone thinking of the past instead of reaching out to her living husband.  Poor Miguel.  He really does get no respect. 

Miguel really does seem to love Rebecca in a way that she can’t love him back, especially not with the memory of Jack Pearson.  I’m sure she does love Miguel but he’s more of a footnote in her love story.  

For the longest time, my grandmother was able to remember people from her past more than those who’d entered her life within the past two decades or so. This was before she completely forgot everyone and everything.  I’m wondering how confusing Rebecca’s marriage to Miguel will be if her memory loss takes that route.  It would be heart wrenching if she only knew him as Jack’s best friend once her memory slips away—that might be worse than her forgetting him altogether. 

Edited by Spencer Hastings
  • Love 13

1. Kate was massively overreacting to Toby's grief over Baby Jack's blindness. Kate copes by diving right into the deep end, Toby is coping by distracting himself with exercise.

2. Rebecca's memory test was sort of like an actual one, although hers seemed more like a screener than a full blown memory test. Rebecca hasn't seen that doctor before, so she would not have a baseline for how Rebecca was in the past, unless she got an evaluation through another physician.

• Love 10
5 hours ago, debraran said:

the examples they gave of "mild cognition" my doctor just said were normal. Forgetting a word, or spatula isn't a big warning, her getting lost etc are. I don't think the examples they gave were a good education for most

That clock she drew was pretty frightening. Looked like more than just a warning.

• Love 14

It's very obvious how much Miguel loves Rebecca and he deserves way more respect from the Pearson kids. Rebecca was a relatively young widow and it would have been a shame for her to spend the rest of her life mourning Jack and never finding love again. Her kids should be grateful she found someone to share her life with. I don't blame him for not immediately scheduling her for a brain scan because she forgot the word spatula. 

I low-key wish Madison would be Kevin's mystery baby mama because I enjoy her and want to see more of her (I'm offended on her behalf that she wasn't invited to the party she helped Kate prepare for), but realistically they would probably be a trainwreck. I have no feelings on Sophie so whatever guess she'll make a fine baby mama. I figured Sophia Bush's character was a fake out from the start because it's unlikely she'd be available to return as frequently as they'd probably need the character to, but the hall pass twist did surprise me. 

I too am over the Jack and Rebecca dating flashbacks. Nothing we're seeing feels fresh or new. Time to move on. 

Can't believe I'm saying this, but definitely see Kate's side of things more than Toby's. First Toby keeps getting caught in lies, and while I'm glad there was no cheating going on it does sound like he was having somewhat of an emotional affair with this other woman. Props to him for taking himself out of the situation when he realized it but maybe don't bitch about how unhappy you are with your wife to another woman? And it's totally understandable that he'd need time to come to terms with his son's blindness but he bitched Kate out for the avocado incident saying he misses all of Jack's big moments, when he's been intentionally avoiding being around him. 

I just assumed the guy in Randall's house at the end was a random intruder... dude kinda looks strung out so maybe a drug addict looking to steal to feed his addiction. At first I was expecting the following episode to be all "what happens next?! will Randall and family survive?!" high drama, but based on the previews it looks like it's going to be more about his anxiety and how he handles difficult situations. 

Edited by SadieT
  • Love 21
3 hours ago, DakotaLavender said:

I think the guy in the hoodie is a "monster" that has haunted Randall since childhood. I hope they don't go in that direction as a reason for his panic attacks. 

I think judging by the short description I saw for next week, he isn't real. I just seemed more dreamlike than actual but we will see.  We kind of saw this coming last season, the build up to his breakdown. The other 2 siblings will have to find out he went to CA soon for them to be not talking in the summer too. 

Edited by debraran
  • Love 6
2 hours ago, Lily H said:

That clock she drew was pretty frightening. Looked like more than just a warning.

I can't say I saw the clock too closely. I thought it was just sloppy which could be from just being tired and not a good drawing. I also remember the memory test not going well for a family member but later the doctor said she was scared and worried and that effects it too. In her case it was "normal" and she didn't get worse other than normal progression with age.

There are so many sites to put off fears some have but this is one that shows what Miguel was saying was really "normal". The forgetting a word, the misplacing of keys, forgetting to get things, pay a bill one month. Rebecca was having much worse happen to her, he shouldn't have felt bad about the "spatula" it was much worse than that.

https://www.nia.nih.gov/health/do-memory-problems-always-mean-alzheimers-disease

I am hoping after all the "it's not dementia" she has something else. There are tons of shows and movies on Alzheimer's and it would be educational to show how other thing can effect you in a similar way.

• Love 1

It's pretty anti-climactic/non-mysterious when we see things like Jack breaking up with Rebecca. We know they're going to end up together so this angst filled flashback seems unnecessary.

Thanks to Rebecca's cognitive assessment, now we know that her birthday is 2/12/50 and that this episode takes place on 1/11/20 so yay for that?

On a shallow note, Sophia Bush's voice drives me crazy (and not in a good way).

3 hours ago, bros402 said:

Rebecca's memory test was sort of like an actual one, although hers seemed more like a screener than a full blown memory test. Rebecca hasn't seen that doctor before, so she would not have a baseline for how Rebecca was in the past, unless she got an evaluation through another physician.

It's a real test. I used to administer it to patients who'd had strokes. You don't need a previous visit/baseline to compare to in order to assess cognitive impairment or memory loss. There are several tests used to assess cognitive abilities and you can administer more than one to a patient during a session so it's very possible that this is the only one we saw on screen but that the neurologist also used some of the other available tests.

moca.png.cf88419c60bb8307e3e319722bcd9a88.png

• Useful 8
  • Love 5
1 hour ago, debraran said:

I can't say I saw the clock too closely. I thought it was just sloppy which could be from just being tired and not a good drawing.

It wasn't just that the clock was sloppy. As the doctor explained, the way that Rebecca wrote the numbers shows some spatial dysfunction.

814431739_mocaclock.thumb.jpg.38f80f070af5105ce5828f44d3b6a34a.jpg

• Useful 3
  • Love 9