Type keyword(s) to search

Episode Discussion II: The TFGH

Message added by CM-CrispMtAir,

Culture Check: How can we discuss a character's or actor's appearance without objectifying them? How can we express likes or dislikes and still respect an individual's humanity or be mindful that a character represents a person someone else might relate to or identify with?

• Start Topic

While Sam and Carly in the same scene is doubly bad, Sam did get in a good zinger about putting on a black T shirt and being Jason.

2 hours ago, Pingaponga said:

So, uh, why isn't Sonny taking his meds? Is this a common thing for people to do?

I believe that is part of the illness.  Patients get to a point where they feel better, are put off with side effects, and go off their meds.  I think this is the third or fourth? time they have revisited this particular storyline.  With various Carlys.  One was firing a gun in Robin's house.  Another was destroying the penthouse. 

Edited by ciarra
  • Love 2

Patients do get to the point where they feel better but also the side effects can be rough and they want to live without those.

But in Sonny's case, it really feels like he's just being petulant "Carly is mad at me and won't make up so I'll show her, I'll stop taking my meds."

• Love 8
20 minutes ago, statsgirl said:

Patients do get to the point where they feel better but also the side effects can be rough and they want to live without those.

But in Sonny's case, it really feels like he's just being petulant "Carly is mad at me and won't make up so I'll show her, I'll stop taking my meds."

i also feel he'll have an episode and Nina will find him, help him/convince him to go back on meds, and  he'll weaponize that on Carly

• Useful 1
  • Love 6
1 hour ago, ciarra said:

I think this is the third or fourth? time they have revisited this particular storyline.  With various Carlys.  One was firing a gun in Robin's house.  Another was destroying the penthouse. 

Wasn't there also a manic episode where Courtney showed up at the penthouse and he tackled her to the floor and said, "Fasten your seatbelt, little sister, it's gonna be a bumpy night"? I think he had the lights off and was all paranoid that his mob enemies were going to invade the penthouse. 

I remember people on boards making fun of him that time for quoting a Bette Davis movie. 

But come to think of it, that might have been when they first started the bipolar story, so it wasn't really "going off his meds."

My understanding is that in addition to avoiding side effects, going off your meds can be enjoyable at first, before the hypomania turns into full blown mania. One can feel smarter, more awake, very confident, sexual, euphoric, etc. That is why Carrie Matheson repeatedly went off her meds on Homeland.

• Useful 2
  • Love 3

In this case, I think @statsgirl and @Daisy are right: Sonny is going off his meds because he's a petulant baby, and Nina will be the one to talk him into taking his meds again and either she or he will use that against Carly.

I wish the show wouldn't use Sonny's BPD like this. He's an asshole when he's on his meds, so it's not as if being off them changes much. It's a gross plot point.

• Love 19
2 hours ago, dubbel zout said:

I wish the show wouldn't use Sonny's BPD like this.

Isn't this a 'recent' storyline, that being a relative term given how long MB has been on the show? Because I'm pretty sure I saw someplace, maybe even here, that this is a plot Maurice specifically wanted to do, so as to raise awareness of bipolar disorder. As with so many other things on this show, it's a great idea, it's just executed terribly. As you said, Sonny has always been like this, so going off his meds just gives him another excuse for his shitty behavior.

• Love 2
Just now, Cobalt Stargazer said:

Isn't this a 'recent' storyline, that being a relative term given how long MB has been on the show? Because I'm pretty sure I saw someplace, maybe even here, that this is a plot Maurice specifically wanted to do, so as to raise awareness of bipolar disorder. As with so many other things on this show, it's a great idea, it's just executed terribly. As you said, Sonny has always been like this, so going off his meds just gives him another excuse for his shitty behavior.

Yes. Maurice Bernard wanted to make Mooby BiPolar, as this is what he also has. Can’t remember if he said it was to also raise awareness.

• Useful 1

Maurice doesn’t look well, at all (skin tone, dark circles under his eyes) and the muscle shirt didn’t help. It’s very hard for me to see his character in a romantic triangle, I’m not seeing any loving spark anywhere with Carly or Nina.

To think I fell so in love with MB when he played Nico on All My Children. Yes, he was much younger then (I was too), but his character could do fun. Haven’t seen true fun on GH for a very long time.

And Shawn, the hired killer, shouldn’t judge any ex-convict even if Harmony hurt Alexis’ daughter.

• Love 12

Desparado  I have to agree. MB looks unhealthy. I thought maybe they were purposely having him with the dark circles under his eyes.  Is my memory wrong or did they start this bpd storyline because MB had the condition?  

• Love 2

As much as I am loving Chase/BLQ together (Amanda and Josh really have amazing chemistry together), I need them to as Chappelle show once said : "Wrap This shit up!".

Lets get to this reveal and be done with it. Either let Chase and BLQ keep Bailry and have their own mini family or let Maxie get her back and start ignoring her like she has with her other children. Can we  maybe let Maxie go on a nice leave of absense (take Mr Broadway Peter along)...AND, im morr of thr camp of Austin/Britt pairing theb this push for Austin/Maxie...maybe I just dont like Maxie at all right bow 🤣

I will say: getting an episode void of Carly is such a breath of fresh air.

• Love 8

BLQ needs to stop feeling guilty about clocking Cameron over the head; he and Joss were definitely in the wrong. She had every right to knock him out.

I also want Valentin to stop throwing around the word "darling." JLP does a decent job with it, but Sebastian Roché owns that word.

Maxie, it's time to let people like your parents and Robert in on the Bailey-is-Louise secret. Too many people are starting to find out inadvertently, and you and BLQ need to get a handle on things.

"That's what I'm paid for: thinking deep doctor thoughts." Hee. I love Michael Easton when he's being droll.

• Love 10

You remember that feeling, Finn? That was a good feeling. KILL HIM FINN! The Town of Port Charles will give you a medal. Heck they can call it the Jason Morgan Cross for Meritorious Murder. Gah.

Edited by epona7
  • Love 8
23 minutes ago, jacourt said:

Desparado  I have to agree. MB looks unhealthy. I thought maybe they were purposely having him with the dark circles under his eyes.  Is my memory wrong or did they start this bpd storyline because MB had the condition?  

Yes, they did. A few posters above mentioned it with more details. I don’t think the writers would bring up this story again if MB was having related health issues though, but who knows.

• Love 1

Mr Blackie was home today when I turned on my DVR,  "What is Sonny doing today? Is he taking some acting lessons? how come he has so much screen time and he is such a bad actor?"  Yes we would all like to know.

• LOL 9
  • Love 4

Who is Peter's sekrit GH accomplice? I think it's supposed to be someone we already know. I am drawing a blank. I can't think of anyone who would willingly help him, but I also can't think of who Peter might be blackmailing at the moment. 

• Useful 3

why do i always feel ill when it is a good episode?

Anyway things chugged along nicely, but I'm tired of this Maxie thing. Telling your family won't let Peter find Louise faster. Your crazy behaviour is the bigger red flag here. 

We were reminded that Liz doesn't know how to take a pulse. 

2 hours ago, dubbel zout said:

I also want Valentin to stop throwing around the word "darling." JLP does a decent job with it, but Sebastian Roché owns that word.

yeah. everytime he says it, Im like.... A for effort, but....

i love how Col Tad has zero time for Peter. Or Finn. Col Tad reminds Peter why he can't ruin Finn's life because he tried to kill Chase hah. 

Anna is not turned on by Vengeful Val. Val going this is who we were and you didn't mind it when it was on Peter.  Again. I get why he's hurt but honestly - you decided to accept BLQ's word without taking a paternity test or something. that's on you, not BLQ. She lied, but you wuz dumb. 

So someone is haunting Liz? okie dokies. 

i'm glad they are putting Felicia firmly in this story and they aren't making her dumb. 

• Love 6
1 hour ago, dubbel zout said:

Who is Peter's sekrit GH accomplice? I think it's supposed to be someone we already know. I am drawing a blank. I can't think of anyone who would willingly help him, but I also can't think of who Peter might be blackmailing at the moment. 

Only person that comes to mind is Hatman.   But since I've ff'd through all of his scenes, I have no idea if that's even plausible since I don't know what he's been yammering about to people.

Edited:   Just saw some comments on another forum speculating that it's Victor.   That probably makes a lot more sense.

Edited by sas616
  • Love 1
46 minutes ago, dubbel zout said:

There's only two people I can think of who are fairly new to the canvas and that's Esme and Douchehat.

But I think that Esme would already have been in PC but off screen. She was walking around the hospital disguised as a nurse. I just can't remember if Peter went missing before or after Ava's car was torched.

And as I'm typing this, it dawned on me that Nikolas could be a very strong possibility as the person who freed Peter from the freezer because of the Cassadine connection to that subbasement.

• Useful 1

I was so hoping that we’d never have to see Peter August again ever in this lifetime. Please, please do away with this character. And please be done with the Bailey/Lou baby swatch and Maxie’s angst. Enough is Enough!!!!

• Love 8
56 minutes ago, sas616 said:

Edited:   Just saw some comments on another forum speculating that it's Victor.   That probably makes a lot more sense.

That does make sense, as Victor hadn't yet soured on Peter at that point. I was thinking it was someone who worked at GH, but it doesn't have to be (and probably isn't).

• Love 1
5 hours ago, Daisy said:

So someone is haunting Liz? okie dokies.

I hope it's not Lizzie going cray-cray.  Putting the ring in her locker herself, burning down the studio.  Crazy wimmen = Shadybrook. 

• LOL 1
  • Love 3

Points to Cameron for speculating that Peter caused Franco's studii to burn down to hide his crime. He'd make a good cop if this show ever valued the police. Or the WSB again.

It would be strange to have two different people doing the nasty shenanigans of helping Peter and gaslighting Liz. Victor doesn't strike me as the kind to gets his lily white hands dirty so my vote is for Hatman. Esme possibly but she wasn't in Port Charles staking her claim on Spencer when Peter escaped.

Maxie not telling Felicia and Anna where Louise is at this point is as stupid as Sonny going off his meds in a roddler tantrum.

• Love 8
16 hours ago, dubbel zout said:

Some superficial googling tells me the BPD story has been around since at least 2006. Every so often the show has Sonny go off his meds as a plot point, which is gross for a lot of reasons. 

MB was pushing for the character to be diagnosed bipolar (like him) for a long time before he got it. He was at odds with a few writing/producing teams on that. He talked about it all the time in interviews. And I think he tried to get bipolar behavior in via the back door when the answer was still no. An example is those scenes when Sarah Brown's Carly showed up at the penthouse and he had trashed it, and he was wearing a sleeveless undershirt and looked like a slob. This was when Sonny and Carly hated each other, but a few months before hate-sex. He definitely acted those scenes like more was going on than "Sonny is sad because of memories of Lily," which I think is what was on the page.

Edited by NotMySekrit2Tell
  • Useful 2
  • Love 3

Okay here’s a few off the wall theories/bad speculations besides the never going to happen theory of Esme and Joss getting together instead of the obvious Esme and Cam. 

1. Hat Guy is also the guy that is going after Sonny on the west coast that was mentioned a few days ago. So instead of running from the mob to protect his family, he basically became full fledged in the mob and cut all ties to his old life as a way to protect his family. Now he has become the top guy so he can finally meet up with his family again but also has a hidden agenda of trying to take over Sonny’s territory. 

2. Drew is going to find out about Louise/Bailey and as soon as that happens it will trigger his conditioning and some how he will give the information to Peter.

3. Esme is behind the haunting of Liz because she is Franco’s daughter. 

• Useful 3
  • Love 1

Peter: so you want to know my accomplice who thawed me out IN JUNE?

Me: whatever, dude. Don't give much of a shit anymore.

This show and their fucking timelines.

Edited by seasons
  • LOL 9
  • Love 2
32 minutes ago, seasons said:

Peter: so you want to know my accomplice who thawed me out IN JUNE?

Me: whatever, dude. Don't give much of a shit anymore.

This show and their fucking timelines.

I'm sure WR has some fans somewhere but between Hatman and Peter, I'm hanging on by a thread here. 

• LOL 1
  • Love 5
On 1/19/2022 at 11:19 PM, Daisy said:

i also feel he'll have an episode and Nina will find him, help him/convince him to go back on meds, 

This is definitely happening. There’s no storyline this show likes better than Savior Woman Tends to Sonny’s Wounds and Love Follows. (See: Angel, OG Carly, etc.) This time, it will just be psychological wounds rather than the usual gunshot.

On 1/20/2022 at 11:45 AM, Cobalt Stargazer said:

Sonny has always been like this, so going off his meds just gives him another excuse for his shitty behavior.

I saw the episode where he threw his pills, yet I had forgotten he was off his meds. Him yelling at everyone wasn’t even a reminder of that; to me, it was just Sonny being Sonny.

• Love 4

Sonny: I choose you Carly, always. I want to be with you not, Nina.
Carly: OMG SONNY WON't PUT ME FIRST, OUR MARRIAGE IS OVER. 
Translation: Sonny won't put a hit on Nina so. clearly we have nothing anymore. 

Scotty betrayed me  by not punching Sonny.

Ava has no time for Nik and Spencer today

OMG HELENA!! She's looking good. Just bad mouthing luke on video. hahaa. but Laura unplugged it boo. 

Mistah Sheffield is a treat.

• Love 10

I missed pretty much all of the episodes leading up to it, but it seemed weird that Elizabeth and the boys weren't at Luke's service. And that none of the Q's showed up to support Tracey. And I know she's his granddaughter by blood only, but whoever is currently playing Charlotte probably should have been there too. And, of course, Lucas (who?) At least Carly's kids did everyone a favor by not showing up to make it all about them.

The only good moments were Scotty v Luke on the pier, and Laura unplugging the TV during Helena's gloating speech. Otherwise the lame promises of special guests and the launch of a new mystery was predictably disappointing. 

• Love 4

LOL that Sonny makes going to Luke's memorial about his marriage, not about Luke. So typical.

And am I supposed to find it romantic that Sonny couldn't care less that Carly wants time? Aside from it proving once again Sonny is an infant, it's also abusive. 

I'm sorry, "Lucas had to work"? What an insult to the character, despite Bobbie trying to explain how he's still upset about Wiley (which has what to do with Luke?) and work is a good distraction. I can't imagine Lucas wouldn't be at the memorial for his beloved uncle. Ugh. If Lucky can be in a cholera-infested village, Lucas can be snowed in somewhere and unable to get a flight in time.

• Love 10

Lucas had to work?  At the invisible job they scooted him over to so they could bring Austin in at the hospital?

F off Show.  Though I guess I should be happy they even noted him as someone who should be at this thing.

Edited by TeeVee329
  • Love 7

I am shocked and tell you, SHOCKED that I actually enjoyed the hell out of this episode, but I really wish they would have shown the geriatric brawl on screen, although I think that Victor's henchman did all the brawling for him. And he couldn't even be bothered to serve him some bourbon. For shame, Victor. All of his scenes are just completely and absolutely delightful. What a great addition to the show, what a great casting. I can sit and watch him do his thing for the whole show.

I could really have done without Carly's woe is me routine, though. And Sonny vowing and re-vowing that he and Carly will be together. Hey, dummies! Nobody gives a shit about your current marital woes. We know you'll split up. Sonny will pass his peen to Nina, Carly will have a thing for some guy, then a family crisis will bring them back together. Barring that, Sonny will bat his eyes and flash his dimples and Carly will move back home. We-do-not-care!

Constance Towers looks fantastic and she has not changed. Not even a little bit. Delightful as always to see her on screen and it's been too long and I wish they hadn't killed off the character. 

Luke's ashes flying into Scott's face seemed rather fitting. 

Lucas had to work. Why did they even bother recasting the role? At least we know self-sacrificing Lucas is having a hard time without Wylie. 

There's an outbreak of Malaria where Lucky is and something something with Ethan. But they will both be in Amsterdam with Tracey. So yeah . . .

It was a fun episode, overall. 

Edited by YaddaYadda
  • Love 7

I missed the “brawl”, but thought the memorial service was pretty lame. I did enjoy many things though:

1. Constance Towers explaining how Luke was a “parvenu” - hilarious! 🤣
  2. The humongous picture of TG - totally ego fitting.
  3. Victor toasting to Luke in a breaking 4th wall manner.
  4. Ava’s “Luke Spencer came from nothing...” speech to Spencer - very appropriate. I didn’t remember her knowing him, but MW made it glorious.
  5. The Tracy and Alexis convo, although it was weird that they mentioned Lucy being there since she wasn’t.
  6. Ash soaked Scott’s: “I caught the bouquet”. 🤣

I started watching GH in 1980. Who is Jennifer Smith again?

• Love 10
4 minutes ago, Desperado said:

I started watching GH in 1980. Who is Jennifer Smith again?

She was the daughter of the mobster, Frank Smith, Luke worked for in '79 and '80.   Luke was supposed to marry Jennifer in '80, but that fell apart when Scott broke up their engagement party and punched Luke in front of everyone, basically revealing that Luke was actually obsessed with Laura.  Luke and Laura ended up on the run through the summer of '80, because Frank now wanted to kill them.  

(I don't actually remember this from 40 years ago, I watched some clips out of curiosity on YT).

• Love 3
40 minutes ago, YaddaYadda said:

There's an outbreak of Malaria where Lucky is and something something with Ethan. But they will both be in Amsterdam with Tracey. So yeah . . .

It was a fun episode, overall. 

I am thoroughly enjoying today and I have to say that first scene with Victor showing up at the memorial to mock and antagonize was so fun. Of course Nik stood there like a lump not saying anything. 

But why is Lucky in Africa “volunteering”? Did he meet up with Liz’s dad and form some sort of deadbeat Dad non-profit? 

• Useful 1
  • LOL 6
1 minute ago, seasons said:

I never could buy into the Luke and Tracy great love affair.

Zero romantic chemistry imo.

sometimes great loves don't have to have to be romantic. they just work. I do think at times we get wrapped up in chemistry (and i think for like the younger set that is important since, unless you are this show. Love In the Afternoon and all - but for those two at their age. -it didn't have to be a huge big L+L 2.0 where the chemistry just sizzled. they were just.. knife and fork. always at odds, but generally speaking you mostly always need both to enjoy a good meal. 

• Love 2