Type keyword(s) to search

Episode Discussion II: The TFGH

Message added by CM-CrispMtAir,

Culture Check: How can we discuss a character's or actor's appearance without objectifying them? How can we express likes or dislikes and still respect an individual's humanity or be mindful that a character represents a person someone else might relate to or identify with?

• Start Topic

4 hours ago, statsgirl said:

You're right. I should research before I answer. 🤦‍♀️

Once removed means a different generation.  So Ned and Austin are half-cousins ( I didn't know that this existed) and Brook Lynn and Austin are half-cousins once removed.

LOL, I am pretty sure half cousins don't exist.

6 hours ago, sugarbaker design said:

Aren't Austin and Ned first cousins since they share a grandfather (Edward)?

Oh, right! My genealogist-mother would kill me, but in my defense I had an edible while I was doing my GH chart. ;)

• LOL 4
  • Love 1

I'm really glad the show didn't do some BS where Britt cared about Brad poisoning LWB/FS because she cared a fig about LWB/FS's life, she's just concerned about the blowback there could be for Brad on several fronts.  I'm really glad she is sticking by Brad, their friendship continues to be the best.

Not the best?  Dante.  Trying to shade Brad for having a relationship with his mobster aunt given his relationship with Sonny was just beyond, it was actually very Carly, which is not a good look for anyone.

• LOL 1
  • Love 16
20 minutes ago, Cheyanne11 said:

Ava's advice to Nina was good.  It's amusing that I can't figure if she's the angel or devil on Nina's shoulder.

I think Ava is mostly the angel, but if the advice can also screw over, say, Carly, the devil certainly raises his trident. Hee.

• LOL 8
  • Love 3
1 hour ago, Blackie said:

Esme looked cute as usual but I thought her dress was a bit tight and short, I thought she just came from tennis. Was she wearing her sneakers? 

Yikes Carly's laugh at the end with Drew...... until Jason comes back and then Drew will be dropped like a hot potato again.

Thank you!  Again with the sneakers!  Does she have some kind of foot problem?  I’ve never seen her in heels.  I too noticed her dress was tight and short.  Which seems like a really odd choice for upstate NY in January.  Especially since I haven’t noticed her carrying a coat lately.  On the other hand, she really rocks that dress, so of all the inconsistencies on this show, this one I don’t mind.

• Love 3

Did we know that Esme has at least one brother?

8 hours ago, YaddaYadda said:

I think the whole Spencer/Trina ship has sailed. Spencer actually seems to love Esme. 

Ava doesn't think so or she wouldn't have had Trina supervise Spencer.

And Spencer said today that Esme is the only one on his side which can be extended later to Spencer saying that he stayed with her so long because  he didn't have anyone else.

2 hours ago, Cheyanne11 said:

Ava's advice to Nina was good.  It's amusing that I can't figure if she's the angel or devil on Nina's shoulder.

One of the reasons she's one of the more interesting characters .  (Also MW's acting.)

• Love 5

Ava needs to follow Nina and go get a lawyer to get her child back. Avery is not Carly's. 

Spencer's "my money" is ridiculous. He did nothing to get that money, Nikolas gave him a trust fund. He's whining about his money but saying he's not relying on a family fortune.

Go Britt for telling off Dante about Michael.

Did Carly sell her house, why is living in the hotel?

Michael is a brat, glad Sonny yelled at him back. 

• Love 8

My aunt, who was English, used the term "half cousins" for what are really second cousins, i.e. the children of first cousins. So she too was presumably counting the proportion of DNA, but that's not the criterion.

In the sense some people here have been using it, "half cousins" doesn't exist, because you are almost never biologically related to both parents of your first cousin, only one. One of their parents is your parent's brother or sister, the other is the unrelated person that sibling married. (If there is the unusual case of two siblings marrying two siblings from another family, their kids are double first cousins, because one parent is your father's and the other your mother's sibling. That does exist.) Therefore, if your biological uncle has two kids by two different women, both are equally your (single) first cousins because both are the child of your parent's brother. If your uncle by marriage has a kid with your biological aunt and a kid with another woman, the kid with another woman is not your cousin at all-- just your stepcousin or courtesy cousin, maybe-- because there's no biological relationship. All clear? I haven't been watching the show consistently enough to give specific examples of this among the characters, but I'll bet somebody can.

I don't see Spenser and Esme as being in love; I think it's obvious that she's glommed onto him and wants to keep her control over him. That's why she was displeased when she came in and found that his bio-family was daring to consult him without her, and I loved Kevin taking her out of the room. And Spenser agreeing to it; I think he's semi-oppressed. Note that it was she who made all the advances in their attempted sex scene before Viktor interrupted it.

• Love 5
1 hour ago, Artsda said:

Did Carly sell her house, why is living in the hotel?

She also owns the hotel. It hasn't been one night yet.

I am going to take the contrary position as say I understand Spencer's reasoning. While he did renounce his trust fund, it stil burns him that Ava has any control or say in what happens with it.

While Nikolas shouldn't have to give up his wife in order to have a relationship with his son, Spencer is no longer a child and he has made it clear that he wants no part in having Ava in his life. He has not changed his mind about this. While I understand why Laura is pushing for Nikolas and Spencer to forgive each other, it gives me similar feeling of discomfort I felt when Laura pushed for Cameron to accept the serial killer marrying his mother but to a less degree.

• Love 1

The only reason Ava has control of Spencer's trust fund ( which is really Nik's money) is because he attacked Ava (displaced anger at his father ?) and Nik wanted him to have to deal with her. The only reason Spencer has to speak to Ava is because of the damage that he did to her gallery, because he frightened her, and because he copped to torching her car. It's not like she's using his trust fund to buy herself diamonds, using it to pay for a meal over to discuss the terms of his community service  is a reasonable use.

Sure Spencer is pissed off, for all that he's legally an adult he's very immature. But all these things are a consequence of his own actions.

• Love 10
On 1/14/2022 at 12:12 AM, Suicidy said:
On 1/11/2022 at 9:14 PM, TVbitch said:

Oh puhhlease. Those guys would have been all over Britt in the club! I love that she's a dork, though. 

I would run at breakneck speed and crash through ten other guys to get to her if I saw her in a bar.  Britt isn’t just beautiful, she’s sexy too.  

Hey Suicidy! Nice to know there's another dude on this Board. Totally agree about Britt. She's a stunner that kind of snuck up on me. Being a Writer myself, I flove that she has a huge Dictionary and Thesaurus on her bookshelf. Brains and Beauty for the win!!!! The actress that plays Esme has killer legs too, and wardrobe clearly likes to showcase them, lol.

In other news, the writing has taken a huge leap forward lately, as there is a strong movement towards more family-centric S/Ls and the mob has clearly taken a backseat for the moment - although that insufferable Brick was in next week's previews, ugh.

Edited by Winston Wolfe
  • LOL 1
  • Love 1
9 hours ago, statsgirl said:

But all these things are a consequence of his own actions.

And he refuses to accept that actions have consequences. He's still pretty immature.

2 hours ago, Winston Wolfe said:

insufferable Brick was next week's previews, ugh.

Ugh is right. I wonder if he and Hat Man will cross paths, as Hat Man is undoubtably connected to the new threat (as if) to mob stability that Cyrus was talking about. Zzzz.

• Love 5
3 hours ago, Winston Wolfe said:

that insufferable Brick was in next week's previews, ugh.

Great, more slobbering over the magnificence of Carly.  Because we don't get enough of that.

Stick with ESPN, Stephen A. Smith. 

• LOL 1
  • Love 7
Just now, Cheyanne11 said:
3 hours ago, Winston Wolfe said:

that insufferable Brick was in next week's previews, ugh.

Great, more slobbering over the magnificence of Carly.  Because we don't get enough of that.

Stick with ESPN, Stephen A. Smith. 

Sad thing is, he isn't even good on ESPN either. Often poorly informed on the facts of any situation he discusses, and mangles the English language in a futile attempt to sound intelligent. Yeah, a perfect fit for GH on its worst days.

• Love 3
18 hours ago, nilyank said:

I am going to take the contrary position as say I understand Spencer's reasoning. While he did renounce his trust fund, it stil burns him that Ava has any control or say in what happens with it.

While Nikolas shouldn't have to give up his wife in order to have a relationship with his son, Spencer is no longer a child and he has made it clear that he wants no part in having Ava in his life. He has not changed his mind about this. While I understand why Laura is pushing for Nikolas and Spencer to forgive each other, it gives me similar feeling of discomfort I felt when Laura pushed for Cameron to accept the serial killer marrying his mother but to a less degree

16 hours ago, statsgirl said:

The only reason Ava has control of Spencer's trust fund ( which is really Nik's money) is because he attacked Ava (displaced anger at his father ?) and Nik wanted him to have to deal with her. The only reason Spencer has to speak to Ava is because of the damage that he did to her gallery, because he frightened her, and because he copped to torching her car. It's not like she's using his trust fund to buy herself diamonds, using it to pay for a meal over to discuss the terms of his community service  is a reasonable use.

Sure Spencer is pissed off, for all that he's legally an adult he's very immature. But all these things are a consequence of his own actions.

Spencer is an adult and can decide that he doesn’t want a relationship with Ava, but I don’t think Nik is asking him to have a relationship with Ava. He’s saying accept that she’s part of the family because she’s my wife and I love her. Spencer’s the whiny brat insisting it’s all or nothing and Nik has to divorce his wife to have a relationship with him.

As for his inheritance, like others said he’s responsible for losing it. He’s the one who made a big melodramatic production of saying he didn’t want to be Nik’s son, or a Cassadine. Well, not having an inheritance is part of that. He can’t pretend to be some mature adult who’s making it in his own - which he isn’t - and whine about someone spending the inheritance he renounced. Especially when that person is someone you terrorized for months. Using his money to pay for dinner is a drop in the bucket of what he deserves. Plus, even after what he did Nik and Ava were willing to move past it. All they wanted was for Spencer to own up to what he did and sincerely apologize, but he couldn’t do that.

That’s something I wish Laura would hammer home instead of just saying let bygones be bygones. She was right about Victor. He can’t really be forgiven if he’s not truly sorry for what he did. The same goes for Spencer. Nikolas and Ava are sorry for the ways they hurt him, but Spencer still has this huge chip on his shoulder. He still gives both of them tremendous attitude as if what he did was no big deal.

• Love 11
10 hours ago, Blackie said:

Esme is darn lucky she isn't the one going to jail since she is the one that lit the car on fire, and people know this. Maybe Kevin  should have reminded her of this. 

I don't think Spencer ever told anyone that Esme was the one who set Ava's car on fire. I believe he took the blame for all of it. I can't imagine they would tolerate Esme if they knew what she had done but maybe I missed an episode! 

On 1/13/2022 at 6:30 PM, IDFfm0870 said:

Kelly Monaco and Cameron Mathison have good chemistry. But thanks to Carly and Drew on Robin's bridge on NYE's ending, we are probably on the road to Drearly.

If Carly is even slightly interested, even if only on a (possessive) friendship basis, I suspect a triangle is coming. She already lost one man to Sam; no way will she stand by and let it happen again.

6 hours ago, pianogirl73 said:

Michael to Dante- "You don't unsrstand. You're not the one whose mother is devastated."

Seriously? Is he two? 

Two-and-a-half, on a good day.

Sonny’s staccato snarl-shouts usually make me laugh, but I enjoyed this particular exchange. He should yell at Michael more. (Everybody should yell at Michael more.)

As for the Great Cousin Debate, can we all just agree that PC is one extended incestuous stew?  If you look closely enough, most residents are related in some way, whether it’s first degree or tenth. It explains all the mental deficiency.

• LOL 1
  • Love 4
14 minutes ago, 30 Helens said:

As for the Great Cousin Debate, can we all just agree that PC is one extended incestuous stew?  If you look closely enough, most residents are related in some way, whether it’s first degree or tenth. It explains all the mental deficiency.

IMO, it's better than Days of our Lives in that regard.  

Michael is devastated that his mother is devastated that Sonny admitted to having feelings for Nina in NF but has asssured Carly over and over that he loves her. Give me a freaking break, Michael.

• Love 6
19 minutes ago, 30 Helens said:

I'll never get over the fact that Dante is sleeping with someone (Sam) whom his Father previously impregnated and with whom he shares a half-sister through said Father. All kinds of icky.

You know what would a challenging, fun project? Drawing a GH Family Tree. You'll run out of connecting lines real fast.

• LOL 5
  • Love 6
23 hours ago, statsgirl said:

Did we know that Esme has at least one brother?

It was mentioned before that she has several siblings. No clue if they are from her biological parents or her adoptive parents. Or are biological and were adopted along with her.

She did say she was adopted, right? After her bio parents died? Or have I just assumed that?

• Useful 1
2 hours ago, lala2 said:

I don't think Spencer ever told anyone that Esme was the one who set Ava's car on fire. I believe he took the blame for all of it. I can't imagine they would tolerate Esme if they knew what she had done but maybe I missed an episode

I thought it came out but Spencer said it was all his idea. But I could be wrong too. I thought it was so weird that they were letting Esme slide on it, although Ava has her number. 

• Useful 1
4 hours ago, lala2 said:

I don't think Spencer ever told anyone that Esme was the one who set Ava's car on fire. I believe he took the blame for all of it. I can't imagine they would tolerate Esme if they knew what she had done but maybe I missed an episode! 

I thought Spencer was in the room with Nikolas and Laura? at Windemere at the time the car was set on fire.  It's the August 17th episode, if anyone cares to look it up.  I can't tell much from the transcript.  I think they handwaved that Spence put Esme up to it, so she's never been held responsible.

• Useful 1
  • Love 1

Someone should ask Esme where to forward her mail to when Spencer goes to Spring Ridge.

Hated every second of Carly's chat with Drew. Especially the flirty cackle.

Michael waving his finger in Sonny's face while yelling should havee gotten him slapped senseless. I have no love for Sonny but that was beyond disrespectful.

• Useful 1
  • Love 5
On 1/14/2022 at 7:00 PM, Suicidy said:

Thank you!  Again with the sneakers!  Does she have some kind of foot problem?  I’ve never seen her in heels.  

I think it's because Avery Pohl is pretty tall (I'm guessing at the very least 5'8" or 5'9") and they don't want her towering over Trina or Cam, which she would if they put her in heels.

• Useful 3
2 hours ago, dubbel zout said:

I'm sure that's one reason KeMo wears such ridiculous heels.

And because stilettos are always the preferred footwear of a good private detective. It’s how we know she’s serious about her job.

• LOL 13
  • Love 1
11 hours ago, methodwriter85 said:

I think it's because Avery Pohl is pretty tall (I'm guessing at the very least 5'8" or 5'9") and they don't want her towering over Trina or Cam, which she would if they put her in heels.

I don't think either Joss and Trina wear high heels unless they're in going to a formal occasion and even then, they usually put Trina in kitten heels. So Esme isn't out of the norm here. I think her shoes are more obvious because she is frequently wearing dresses.

11 hours ago, dubbel zout said:

Yeah, it's probably a blocking thing. I'm sure that's one reason KeMo wears such ridiculous heels. She's so tiny she'd have to stand on a box otherwise, heh.

CM looks like Gulliver in their scenes with her wearing heels. 

Edited by YaddaYadda
  • Love 2
On 1/14/2022 at 1:38 PM, statsgirl said:

Jimmy Lee and Tracy are half-siblings. They share 1/4 of their DNA as opposed to Tracy and Alan who are full siblings and share 1/2.

Ned and Austin are one generation down, sharing 1/8th DNA (that would be first cousins once removed). Brook Lynn is one generation down from that, sharing 1/16th of Edward's genes with Austin.

Brook Lynn as a ship for Austin doesn't make sense right now when Britt and Maxie are better options. But not impossible down the line since they weren't raised together and don't share enough DNA to matter. Any ick factor would be cultural .

I had to research cousin marriage and was surprised that it is legal to marry a first cousin in some US states.  Others won't allow such a marriage but will recognize one from another state.  Others won't allow it and won't recognize those of another state (I forget how this ruling got around the Full Faith and Credit Clause).  

There is no state that prohibits marriages further away than first cousin.  A first cousin once removed is far enough away, at least for the states.  Churches may have other prohibitions.  

So legally Austin and BLQ are far enough apart.  I agree they don't share much DNA.  Austin was not known to anybody until recently.  It would be weird to be involved with the daughter of one's first cousin even so.  The whole idea is that they are all Quartermaines.  Somewhat like the UK royal family, who would marry amongst themselves, their third cousins or closer.  Victoria and Albert were first cousins.  Even Elizabeth II and Philip were both descendants of Queen Victoria. 

• Useful 2

I don't have an issue with it, but the general audience probably would, lol.

I was a absolute Jammy shipper back on GL, and they were first cousins by way of their moms being half-sisters... and his biological father was her adoptive father.  Anyway, my point is, it's not weird to me, but would be for most people.  (I also really shipped Michael and Kristina back when DG was in his role).

My only real objection to Austin/BLQ is that I'm not feeling Austin. I need a recast to root for this character, I think.

Soaps didn't used to be squeamish about kissing cousins. Jimmy Lee's biggest (imo) romance was with Celia Quartermaine. 

• Love 4
31 minutes ago, dubbel zout said:

I suspect that a lot of times the writers forget how the characters are related because so many of them are related.

pretty much. i mean they always go into a "ooh you're really an X! dun dun dun" then it's like wait they'd make a good couple and then it's like... but wait they are kinda related but honestly. like on Days almost everyone is dating a blood relation of some sort so you kinda of side eye it

3 minutes ago, Daisy said:

pretty much. i mean they always go into a "ooh you're really an X! dun dun dun" then it's like wait they'd make a good couple and then it's like... but wait they are kinda related but honestly. like on Days almost everyone is dating a blood relation of some sort so you kinda of side eye it

I don't think anyone on Days dates blood relatives.  They even redid John's parentage for the 3rd or 4th time so Brady and Teresa wouldn't be 2nd cousins.

2 minutes ago, Katy M said:

I don't think anyone on Days dates blood relatives.  They even redid John's parentage for the 3rd or 4th time so Brady and Teresa wouldn't be 2nd cousins.

lol did they really? it's been ages since i watched the show so to be honest most of my references are like old and wonky and i have an old/wonky mind :) 

On 1/11/2022 at 9:16 AM, mostlylurking said:

I actually like the name Louise better than Bailey. Bailey reminds me of a name for a pet, not a human (apologies if anyone here is named Bailey, just my unsolicited opinion). 

Yup- my puppy is named Bailey! 

• LOL 1
  • Love 2
1 hour ago, dubbel zout said:

I suspect that a lot of times the writers forget how the characters are related because so many of them are related.

This wasn't a huge problem until the aughts. The show was pretty good about creating compelling unrelated characters and the babies were staggered a lot more. They didn't feel the need in writing every women's pregnancy into the show. Between Guza being completely up SasonCar's ass & FV's penchant for making everyone related, no matter how ludicrous the connection is, they are now doing worse than DOOL.

Strange line of the day:

Michael to Drew:  So, how are things with you and your little girl

Me:  LITTLE GIRL????  She has a name and it's Scout, which you should know since you and Scout are first cousins.  And she spends 90% of her time in the same mansion that you do.  

Writers are stupid, but actors should know when lines don't make sense or sound right.  

• Love 6

Today's Notes.
It's a New Day in Port Charles

Laura visits Curtis. She wants to know what's new. Curtis has a look. Laura is still being a cow about Cyrus finding religion. (and again. you are BFFs with Sonny who HAS religion apparently and has no problem killing people but it's this big guffaw that Cyrus could find religion and try to change (while having his ear to the ground?)). and then is why the whole Good Mob, Bad Mob  is dumb. anyway major infodump for Laura. Laura tells Curtis he might have accept his father hurt him out of love. Curtis does not like this

Hatman and Epiphany...snooze (also and skip)

Michael is whinging about how he couldn't screw nina over in court. Drew doesn't know if he can get his shares. now they are talking about Sam. Apparently Michael and Drew are friends. Michael tells Drew to go back to Aurora Media. Drew blows smoke up Michael's ass about how great of a CEO Michael is (because we never ever see him at work). Drew reminds Michael why he created AM - to get away from the Mob. (and apparently drew and sonny are "friends"and drew is regretting maybe starting AM because it damped that friendship. )Michael snarks well you are good to distance yourself from Dad. Oh my god shut up and grow up. you man baby. And booo drew. you were the chosen one. Fallen for the Corinthii Propaganda :(  Michael is still whinging that Sonny defended Nina in court. 

I shouldn't rage - truly. but it drives me nuts that Avery happily calls Carly Mommy Carly. Why isn't this girl asking for Ava? anyway Carly is like imma always gonna be here for my girls. Sonny shows up, and they are ditched for the nanny. Now they are talking about how they miss each other and crap. Boring. Oh, Carly asks Sonny if he took his meds. She's sus. Sonny deflects and talks about their marriage. Boring. Black Spinelli shows up. He infodumps him about a new Power Player in the west.  Sonny nearly murders Donna's doll. Poor Doll. Black Spinelli tells Sonny he has one woman too many. 

Britt breaks up Nina's flash back how she will happily take Sonny if Carly doesn't want him. Britt reminds Nina about the graveside pact the girls made. Infodump time. Britt wants Nina to help Brad. Nina is like eh no. Sonny hates Brad, and all that matters is Sonny loves Carly. Britt goes but what about sonny's feelings for you and yours for him. Britt gets infodumped about Carly. Britt says what Ava says - Sonny could be had. Britt says maybe you should kinda go for it. Nina starts to whinge about "saving the marriage" and tells britt what does she get out of this, and Britt is like whatever i thought you wanted a Friend, Nina is like wait, I'm sorry. I'm just tired of being the other woman w/o benefits. Britt goes YESSS. what are you going to do about it. Nina goes nothing. Britt is tired of this crap, and calls Sonny. Avery infodumps her haha about no one is home. Britt is like okay! and tells Nina that it sounds Carly moved out of the house. 

Oh Dianne. Nice seeing you. Carly is whinging and Dianne keeps cutting her off. (thank you). Dianne says she can't hear anymore because she can't represent her (or sonny) since they both have her on retainer.

i'm not even going to lie. todays' episode is boring
you legit will miss nothing if you didn't watch today. 

• Love 8

WOW Britt looked amazing today in her season appropriate sweater and those pants!! 

Avery needs to learn the phone answering rules.

Poor little Donna, all she does is stare off in space,

other then that it seemed every conversation was more of the same, am I wrong? I am kind of out of it after shoveling about a ton of snow lol!

• Love 5