Jump to content
Forums forums
PRIMETIMER
tessaray

S01.E06: One Flew Over the Conners' Nest

Recommended Posts

Air date: November 27, 2018

Quote

With Mark and Mary’s help, Jackie convinces Dan to build a chicken coop in the backyard so the family can eat organic eggs, but from a bird’s-eye view, it appears that she may have ulterior motives. Becky meets with Andrea for the first time since the surrogacy mishap, and Darlene is forced to deal with a sleazy customer at her casino job.

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post

Hmm...according to BackyardChickens.com, the average cost to raise three chickens is 

  • Chickens: $3 - $30 per chicken depending on age, breed etc.
  • Coop: Free (recycled materials) to $2,000 & up (new & fancy). Average is usually around $500
  • Feed approximately $15.00 per month.
  • Miscellaneous $10.00 per month.

I think I'll stick with my $4.19/dozen organic eggs from Wegmans... (besides, I don't have a backyard).

Also, now I want my mom to make cornflake chicken.

-----

Um...hey Becky...maybe you wanna run this decision by the father

  • Like 23

Share this post


Link to post

Just now, Stacey1014 said:

This episode was great. I especially loved the Darlene and Becky and Dan and Jackie scenes. Lol at Jackie wanting to bring the chicken home to see if Bev is truly afraid of birds. 

Deathly afraid 

  • Like 19

Share this post


Link to post

Lecy tugged at my heart strings when she was standing on the porch and Bridget turned out the light on her.  She looked so forlorn. 

I can't concentrate when Darlene is at her editing job - I really, really want that huge old wood file cabinet thing behind her boss's desk. 

  • Like 17

Share this post


Link to post

That was actually really good. Lots of laughs and good acting all around. And chickens! Every show is improved by chickens. 

I feel like John G. is looking better and healthier. I wonder if he got some subtle yet effective work done? No judgment, just a comment. 

Edited by Melina22
  • Like 14

Share this post


Link to post

I'm not a hat person but Becky looked cute in the slouchy hat.

 

7 minutes ago, tessaray said:

I can't concentrate when Darlene is at her editing job - I really, really want that huge old wood file cabinet thing behind her boss's desk. 

Ha! I feel the same about the card catalog in Leonard and Sheldon's apartment on Big Bang Theory. I'm always looking for it in the background.

  • Like 12

Share this post


Link to post

My only complaint is that the "woo" from the audience when Darlene and her boss (I've already forgotten his name, lol) made it seem like the tease came a bit too soon, even though it didn't actually happen. I did like their conversation when he visited her at the casino, though.

And I loved seeing Becky and Darlene talk, although I just hope Becky's coffee was decaf for the sake of the baby. :)

  • Like 11

Share this post


Link to post
27 minutes ago, Melina22 said:

I feel like John G. is looking better and healthier. I wonder if he got some subtle yet effective work done? No judgment, just a comment. 

I thought that in the early episodes they had purposely made him up to look more haggard/grief-stricken to reflect what he was going through. 

  • Like 11

Share this post


Link to post
59 minutes ago, tessaray said:

 

Lecy tugged at my heart strings when she was standing on the porch and Bridget turned out the light on her.  She looked so forlorn. 

I can't concentrate when Darlene is at her editing job - I really, really want that huge old wood file cabinet thing behind her boss's desk. 

 

Same and especially with the file cabinet!  I actually designed a room in my imaginary dream home that has that in it.  So cool retro.

  • Like 7

Share this post


Link to post

I loved the backyard scene between Jackie and Dan. And we got a quick hug!

The chicken with PTSD was hilarious. I totally would have kept it in my house, hee. 

Darleen's boss is getting hotter by the second. I loved him showing up at the casino. Yum. 

  • Like 17

Share this post


Link to post

Becky referring to Darlene as a judgemental little troll to Darlene's face automatically makes this a great episode.

  • Like 22

Share this post


Link to post
23 minutes ago, jewel21 said:

The chicken with PTSD was hilarious. I totally would have kept it in my house, hee. 

That was some beautiful chicken!

  • Like 9

Share this post


Link to post

I was hoping for – but not remotely expecting – an open adoption with her friends, but I knew Becky was going to back out.  I don’t have a problem with her deciding not to go that route, even though I think it’s the best one and would make the most interesting storyline, but I do have a problem with her showing up in the middle of the night to make a grand announcement when she hadn’t given it proper thought; it’s her right to change her mind, of course, but she should have given it more thought and sought more counsel before making a premature offer and getting their hopes up like that.  Of course, there was at least a whiff of predatory behavior on their part (which raises the issue of adoptive parents closing open adoptions after they get what they want), so I'm not overly invested in them.

Darlene and Becky have a long history of getting through to each other when no one else does, and I like seeing that continued.  LOL at Darlene contrasting Becky with Andrea, saying Andrea’s life before parenting was good, while Becky’s already sucks.  And then the poignancy of their it takes a village talk about taking care of the baby.  I'm still not sold, but I am along for the ride.

In the first episode, I loved the poignancy of Jackie making up tasks to stick around the house, and loved the idea of exploring the extent to which she still feels like/is regarded as a constant familial presence in Roseanne’s absence, so I like seeing that thread picked up here.  The scene with her and Dan at the end, with Cornflakes standing in for Jackie, was beautiful – she doesn’t need to be invited; she's family.  Which means she drives them fucking crazy, but they love her.  Love it.

Geena’s face when Mary got all into the chicken coop idea (despite not knowing what the hell was happening, just wanting something new that sounded exciting) was great.

“You know, I was as smart as you, and look what happened.”  Heh.  Sad, but heh.

I liked seeing the two Beckys together again, and laughed at Andrea being like any other parent, hating it at times, even though she had to do so much more to become one.  And that she busted out with “You’re going to love being a mom” after all her complaining once Becky announced her pregnancy.

Darlene’s method of picking up the harasser’s tip was great.  But I wish I saw what most of you and the “Woooo” studio audience do between her and her boss, since they’re obviously going there.  A boss/subordinate relationship has to have a shitload going for it for me to get behind it, and I’ve got nothing so far here.  And I could definitely do without him coming in to play white knight, which Darlene wouldn’t appreciate from a boyfriend, never mind a boss acting "like a boyfriend."  (I think of when Becky got pissed at Mark for punching her Buy 'n' Bag boss - and Dan for wanting to but getting there too late - and extrapolate to Darlene, and oh, hell no with this macho "my woman" shit.)  I take a hard pass on this whole thing, but I like Darlene manipulating his feelings to say she's quitting because he's going to give her a raise and medical benefits.

Edited by Bastet
  • Like 14

Share this post


Link to post
38 minutes ago, Steph J said:

I'm of two minds about it. On the one hand, yes, I agree that Becky shouldn't have said yes if she had doubts and they have a right to be upset about getting jerked around like that.

On the other hand, it really didn't sit well with me that they made an unsolicited offer to adopt her baby without her even indicating to them that she was considering giving the baby up for adoption in the first place.  If she had said to them, "I'm pregnant and I'm going to put the baby up for adoption" and they'd said, "We'd love to adopt your baby," then fine, but this was more like, "I'm pregnant and I'm afraid" and them being like "We'll raise the baby and you can visit whenever you want" which felt sort of... I don't know. Their intentions were good, but the way that it started out left me feeling like Becky was being taken advantage of when she was vulnerable.

I agree with this. They really did not come off well, and I cringed when they were like, "We'll all raise the baby together!" Like no. It came off as insincere and really like they were taking advantage of their friendship with Becky and her worries. 

  • Like 14

Share this post


Link to post

9 minutes ago, Machiabelly said:

Anyone know who plays Bridget? 

I just looked her up.  She's a writer named Ali Liebegott, who also is a producer of The Conners and who wrote for Transparent.  She's also written a few novels.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
19 minutes ago, TeapotDiva said:

I just looked her up.  She's a writer named Ali Liebegott, who also is a producer of The Conners and who wrote for Transparent.  She's also written a few novels.

And this episode.

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
5 hours ago, ams1001 said:

Hmm...according to BackyardChickens.com, the average cost to raise three chickens is 

  • Chickens: $3 - $30 per chicken depending on age, breed etc.
  • Coop: Free (recycled materials) to $2,000 & up (new & fancy). Average is usually around $500
  • Feed approximately $15.00 per month.
  • Miscellaneous $10.00 per month.

I think I'll stick with my $4.19/dozen organic eggs from Wegmans... (besides, I don't have a backyard).

Also, now I want my mom to make cornflake chicken.

-----

Um...hey Becky...maybe you wanna run this decision by the father

It feels like it's illegal to even suggest the father involved in conception have any rights or be able to share in the decision making. 

Actually this tracks with the show since Jackie deciding back in the day that the father of her child will not have any involvement in its life when he did nothing wrong and just wanted to support. That was somehow behavior that was never called out.

Crystal working in that sleazy spot period let alone at her age may be the most depressing part of this reboot.

  • Like 16

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, Racj82 said:

Crystal working in that sleazy spot period let alone at her age may be the most depressing part of this reboot.

If not for the strong accent I wouldn't have even recognized her.  Agreed, seeing her like that, in that setting, was a real downer.

  • Like 16

Share this post


Link to post
12 hours ago, ams1001 said:

I'm not a hat person but Becky looked cute in the slouchy hat.

 

Ha! I feel the same about the card catalog in Leonard and Sheldon's apartment on Big Bang Theory. I'm always looking for it in the background.

I agree: that slouchy pink chenille hat looked very cute on Becky. 

For some reason, I also find the card catalog drawers in TBBT quite charming. Completely impractical, but they have a lovely vintage look.

  • Like 7

Share this post


Link to post

6 hours ago, Winston Wolfe said:

If not for the strong accent I wouldn't have even recognized her.  Agreed, seeing her like that, in that setting, was a real downer.

I agree with you guys, but I also would like to point out that Crystal was not enjoying retirement. So maybe she prefers the schedule; she prefers to be out, interacting with others, while also earning and receiving tips. 

I’m the opposite. I prefer being alone.

  • Like 18

Share this post


Link to post

Becky is a mess and shouldn't be raising a child. Is she going to go back to drinking heavily once the kid is born? Or is this going to help her get sober, maybe that's the planned plotline? I just don't like the whole thing. She can barely take care of herself, bringing a baby into the mix is a really bad idea. 

"Marrying" the ketchup bottles at a Mexican restaurant? Shouldn't they be "marrying" the hot sauce?

Loved the scene between Jackie and Dan. As a viewer, I never really considered Jackie's role with the family now that her sister is out of the picture. Dan's reaction was nice, especially considering all the times during the original show when Jackie got on his nerves. He knows she's family and he let her know that. A really sweet scene. 

  • Like 10

Share this post


Link to post
15 hours ago, ams1001 said:

 

15 hours ago, tessaray said:

I can't concentrate when Darlene is at her editing job - I really, really want that huge old wood file cabinet thing behind her boss's desk. 

Ha! I feel the same about the card catalog in Leonard and Sheldon's apartment on Big Bang Theory. I'm always looking for it in the background.

For me it was that fabulous armchair with the writing on it in “Revenge.”

  • Like 10

Share this post


Link to post

good episode. I live in an area where its fairly common to have chickens, and the eggs are so much better. It is work taking care of them and putting the coop together.  Can make it a bit harder to eat chicken, as you find they can have cute personalities.  So glad the "will she keep the baby or not" story was resolved quickly. I loved the scene of Becky talking to Darlene, of course the Connors can handle helping out if need be. The casino scenes seems fairly realistic to me, with the sleazy guys and dismal air of the place. Do think Darlene's decision to quit may have been unwise, but we'll see.

  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post

Finally got a chance to watch. Darlene's boss?

Yum. And there is definitely something there. After all, he came to her other job to beat up the dude who was harrassing her.  And when she quit? She told him (hot boss) that he was GIVING her a raise and medical. And he said...'kay...

I like them together.

Living in Hawaii, EVERYBODY'S GOT CHICKENS. Even in the city. They're literally everywhere, so seeing the coop in the backyard didn't phase me. Just be thankful they didn't need a Rooster. I. HATE. Roosters. They crow. 24/7. All damn day. All night long.

That baby's gonna be fine. There are so many loving aunties, uncles, and cousins in that family she/he (bet it's a girl) will get all the love and attention she/he needs. I'm hoping (if there's a S02) to see a pregnant Becky at AA. Desperately trying to stay sober for the sake of the baby. 

I get Crystal going back to work. Retirement, if you're not prepared and have a plan in place, is boring as F**k. And Most people I know work well into their seventies because they can't answer the question "retire and do...WHAT?" I plan to work until I can either answer that question or getting up and going in one more day just depresses the hell out of me. 

Overall not a bad episode.

  • Like 11

Share this post


Link to post

Funniest moment for me was the reactions of Darlene, Jackie, and Geena to Mark manipulating Dan into giving permission for the chicken coop. They all looked so impressed as they clapped/snapped their fingers.

  • Like 13

Share this post


Link to post

The lesbian couple actually had me concerned for Becky, especially when she told them she changed her mind….for a second I thought they were going to sue her then I remembered nothing was signed.

Fucking dude at the casino?  Jesus!!  After throwing the drink in his face I would have kicked him in the nuts for good measure. 

Loving Darlene and Ben and I hope they don’t break up for Darlene and David, Part 32.

  • Like 17

Share this post


Link to post
Quote

Loving Darlene and Ben and I hope they don’t break up for Darlene and David, Part 32.

You and me both. They have much better chemistry than Darlene ever had with David. Plus, Ben's an adult instead of an overgrown manchild like David.

  • Like 16

Share this post


Link to post

The people you think aren’t going to make good parents sometimes surprise you and the people who have every opportunity to be great parents often drop the ball.  I think that was what the scene between the two Becky’s were supposed to show.  I forget the bae of the character Sarah Chalke is supposed to be.  She has money maids and and paid to have a baby but isn’t.  Becky has an ooops baby but has always wanted to start a family.....with Mark but she also has strong family ties and this might be the thing to pull her out of the deep deep hole she dug herself into.  Because she is a smart girl.

  • Like 8

Share this post


Link to post
Quote

“You know, I was as smart as you, and look what happened.”  Heh.  Sad, but heh.

That was my favorite line too.

I enjoyed the talk between Darlene and Becky but I wonder why Darlene was so adamant that Becky not at least consider adoption given her own financial woes. I don't know if it's because she instinctively knows Becky wants to keep the baby deep down or if she's just projecting on her because she has two kids of her own. Adoption isn't a bad choice for someone in Becky's position and the idea of an open adoption is a nice compromise to giving the baby away and never seeing it again.. 

Quote

But I wish I saw what most of you and the “Woooo” studio audience do between her and her boss, since they’re obviously going there.  

I'd say it's a combination of two things: residual fondness for Jay R. Ferguson left over from Mad Men, and the fact that he's the polar opposite of David, someone Darlene basically led around by the nose. There's also a visceral effect of Ben being so much larger, physically, than Darlene. There's something inherently "wooo" about that.

Quote

I agree with you guys, but I also would like to point out that Crystal was not enjoying retirement. So maybe she prefers the schedule; she prefers to be out, interacting with others, while also earning and receiving tips. 

Crystal virtually disappeared from the original show once Nancy was introduced - I always felt like the actress was sidelined in favor of Sandra Bernhard. It's nice that they are including her in the reboot but given that she is essentially step-grandparent to Darlene, DJ and Becky, and great-grandparent to their children, they really need to explain what has become of Ed. I can only deduce he has passed away because I can't believe Crystal would need to work a waitress job at a casino to make ends meet. I'd also like to know where her children are, she had three of them, and two of them are Dan's siblings.

If they don't address it I'm left to conclude they've once again erased a big chunk of her history along with Jackie's son. 

  • Like 19

Share this post


Link to post

40 minutes ago, Vixenstud said:

 

Loving Darlene and Ben and I hope they don’t break up for Darlene and David, Part 32.

 

I keep saying this, and I may be 1000% off base (my Conners friend in real life disagrees with me), but I DO think David and Darlene will get back together.   I think they are growing and learning apart, and then will come back together.   Like I wouldn’t bet money but maybe a candy bar lol.   

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
17 minutes ago, Chaos Theory said:

The people you think aren’t going to make good parents sometimes surprise you and the people who have every opportunity to be great parents often drop the ball.  I think that was what the scene between the two Becky’s were supposed to show.  I forget the bae of the character Sarah Chalke is supposed to be.  She has money maids and and paid to have a baby but isn’t.  Becky has an ooops baby but has always wanted to start a family.....with Mark but she also has strong family ties and this might be the thing to pull her out of the deep deep hole she dug herself into.  Because she is a smart girl.

 

Good point-   Also your first sentence reminded me of David and Darlene-  never thought David would ditch the fam and Darlene would be so sweet and Momish.   

 

I think Becky will be a great mom, as long as she can keep her drinking at bay.  She is a good person who is stronger than she knows, as Darlene said.  

  • Like 7

Share this post


Link to post
49 minutes ago, iMonrey said:

That was my favorite line too.

I enjoyed the talk between Darlene and Becky but I wonder why Darlene was so adamant that Becky not at least consider adoption given her own financial woes. I don't know if it's because she instinctively knows Becky wants to keep the baby deep down or if she's just projecting on her because she has two kids of her own. Adoption isn't a bad choice for someone in Becky's position and the idea of an open adoption is a nice compromise to giving the baby away and never seeing it again..

There's the baby's father, though. He has a right to have a say in whether the baby is adopted out or not, something Becky and the rest of the family totally seems to have forgot. She can't just make an executive decision without his say, legally, in the case of adoption. It sucks she wasn't thinking of even giving him the opportunity to take on the responsibility, if she wasn't up for it.

  • Like 10

Share this post


Link to post
54 minutes ago, BeachDays said:

I keep saying this, and I may be 1000% off base (my Conners friend in real life disagrees with me), but I DO think David and Darlene will get back together.   I think they are growing and learning apart, and then will come back together.   Like I wouldn’t bet money but maybe a candy bar lol.   

Unfortunately, I think you are right.  (Gives 5 lb.. bag of M&M's way in advance)

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Quote

She can't just make an executive decision without his say, legally, 

I wonder though. I watch Long Lost Family and it seems like there are unwed mothers who give up babies for adoption all the time without any consent from the biological father. I'd be interested to know if anyone here knows what the laws are regarding this. Perhaps it varies from state to state. 

Quote

I keep saying this, and I may be 1000% off base (my Conners friend in real life disagrees with me), but I DO think David and Darlene will get back together. 

I don't think it will happen this season, but assuming the show is renewed, the fact that we now know this is the last season of The Big Bang Theory makes the likelihood exponentially greater for that to happen at some point in the future.

Edited by iMonrey
  • Like 7

Share this post


Link to post
16 hours ago, Bastet said:

 

Darlene’s method of picking up the harasser’s tip was great.  But I wish I saw what most of you and the “Woooo” studio audience do between her and her boss, since they’re obviously going there.  A boss/subordinate relationship has to have a shitload going for it for me to get behind it, and I’ve got nothing so far here.  And I could definitely do without him coming in to play white knight, which Darlene wouldn’t appreciate from a boyfriend, never mind a boss acting "like a boyfriend."  (I think of when Becky got pissed at Mark for punching her Buy 'n' Bag boss - and Dan for wanting to but getting there too late - and extrapolate to Darlene, and oh, hell no with this macho "my woman" shit.)  I take a hard pass on this whole thing, but I like Darlene manipulating his feelings to say she's quitting because he's going to give her a raise and medical benefits.

 

Oh yeah, I forgot about Becky's boss at the Buy-n-Bag! For me, the scene with Darlene's boss showing up at the casino flashed back to Roseanne closing the diner alone, with the creepy guy with the British accent, who wanted more coffee, and then proceeded to dump it on the counter and grab Roseanne. Dan showed up at closing the next night and refused to leave. It's like they throw a reference in every week, to the classic show.  

 

And LMAO. Candy Cane Margaritas? Just put an Altoids in it? Man, that's gross. But hilarious. 

 

There's the baby's father, though. He has a right to have a say in whether the baby is adopted out or not, something Becky and the rest of the family totally seems to have forgot. She can't just make an executive decision without his say, legally, in the case of adoption. It sucks she wasn't thinking of even giving him the opportunity to take on the responsibility, if she wasn't up for it.

 

This is the same family who also thought that Fred had zero rights to Jackie's baby, until he got nasty and threatened to sue. Those episodes still piss me off to this day. I also think that they're doing the story line a huge disservice by not acknowledging the fact that Jackie went through a similar situation, and has a son. She can be the best sounding board for Becky. But, I guess that would get in the way of Darlene coming to the rescue and being the main voice of sanity and reason right now. 

Edited by ChicksDigScars
  • Like 12

Share this post


Link to post
49 minutes ago, iMonrey said:

I wonder though. I watch Long Lost Family and it seems like there are unwed mothers who give up babies for adoption all the time without any consent from the biological father. I'd be interested to know if anyone here knows what the laws are regarding this. Perhaps it varies from state to state. 

I'm going to assume that it varies from state to state, but in my state, the biological father must sign away his rights or have them terminated for the adoption to go thru. Now, I'm sure there are ways around it - claim that you don't know who the father is, something like that; but here the father knows that Becky is expecting and that he is the father, so he would have to agree to the adoption as well. But since Becky wasn't even considering it until the couple suggested it, I doubt that she even thought that far.

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post

I think if the biological father wanted to protest the adoption he would first have to prove he was the father thru DNA testing. Which would not have been possible say 20 years ago. That's why I'm guessing the laws on the books don't necessarily allow for any input from the bio dad if the mother is single. I think the onus would be on the father to get a lawyer and try to stop the adoption, something a lot of them wouldn't have the money for. 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...

Customize font-size