Type keyword(s) to search

19 Things I Hate About You: How the Duggars Infuriate

• Start Topic

Did anyone already get "we were able to..."  As in "we were able to have the Spanish teacher and her family over for dinner."  (or is that one just a Jill-ism?)

• Love 4

I do not care for the Duggars when I dream about them. I had a weird dream this morning. I wanted to use the bathroom somewhere, but Jessa was pregnant and had a nice clean stall while the rest of the stalls had dirty floors and toilets. Jessa would not get out of the stall, so the ladies and I had to find another place to go to the bathroom.

One of my bigger Duggar pet peeve is the constant butchering of the word good. Learn the difference between well and good. Guess Michelle did not cover this in one of her homefooling lessons.

2 hours ago, Quof said:

"whenever"

"Whenever we got there, we had lunch."   

It's "when", you morons.

I hate to say anything un-critical of the Duggars. But. This liberal and loose use of the word "whenever" is AFAIK something of a regional thing. It's definitely not anything the Duggars came up with nor is it exclusive to them.

I have friends and family in Oklahoma (next door to Arkansas), and I've heard some of them drop that use of "whenever" into their conversations. Yes, even the well-educated ones (they are all quite intelligent - just saying). I've also noticed it occasionally used by cops and civilians in THs in the 20/20 and similar type of crime documentaries that I watch. 

• Love 4
3 minutes ago, Absolom said:

Regional or not, it isn't grammatically correct and it's dreadfully irritating. 

That's the thing about regional grammatical quirks, though. I consider myself fairly well educated, and have always had a natural affinity for language; I have no trouble picking proper usage from improper on a test, but when it comes to things that are colloquially familiar to my ears, I'm just as likely to use them in conversation even though I'm aware that they are not technically correct.

The thing that annoys me the most is the epidemic misuse of "I" where it should be "me", but it has, in fact, become SO prevalent that as much as it makes me cringe to hear it, I also hesitate to use the correct grammar for fear of making someone else see ME as the uneducated (or, possibly, pretentious) one. I'll generally find myself just defaulting to "we" if I can.

• Love 6
(edited)

Never give up the fight!!! Those of us who speak properly (not "those of us that speak properly".  A person is a "who" not a "that") must continue to do so, in the hope that we might convert the masses.

Edited by Quof
  • Love 11

So interesting that the one criticism they've never even attempted to address with an "FU interwebs" moment is how stupid they are.

• Love 7
6 hours ago, Quof said:

"whenever"

"Whenever we got there, we had lunch."   

It's "when", you morons.

Better yet, "Whenever we got there, we were able to have lunch."

• Love 3
7 hours ago, Jynnan tonnix said:

The thing that annoys me the most is the epidemic misuse of "I" where it should be "me", but it has, in fact, become SO prevalent that as much as it makes me cringe to hear it, I also hesitate to use the correct grammar for fear of making someone else see ME as the uneducated (or, possibly, pretentious) one. 

Do not give in! Stay strong, my friend!

• Love 3
12 hours ago, bigskygirl said:

I do not care for the Duggars when I dream about them. I had a weird dream this morning. I wanted to use the bathroom somewhere, but Jessa was pregnant and had a nice clean stall while the rest of the stalls had dirty floors and toilets. Jessa would not get out of the stall, so the ladies and I had to find another place to go to the bathroom.

I'm going to take one for the team here, because someone's got to say it: You dream about the Duggars? Girl, that is seriously f*cked up.

• Love 7
15 hours ago, Aja said:

So interesting that the one criticism they've never even attempted to address with an "FU interwebs" moment is how stupid they are.

You can't fix stupid.

• Love 7

I don't think it's that crazy to dream about the Duggars. I've dreamed about several of my reality show people before. I know I had a dream I was a babysitter for the Duggars once. 

Half-watched the horrible Jill and Jessa show last night and the main thing I was hating on was their use of "walk through" for every moment of their life. Give it a rest already. 

• Love 4
11 hours ago, Portia said:

Do not give in! Stay strong, my friend!

The thing that drives me nuts is 'If he would have done this or that'.  It's 'If he had done this or that'.  I know I've heard the Duggars using that phrase. 

• Love 1
22 hours ago, bigskygirl said:

One of my bigger Duggar pet peeve is the constant butchering of the word good. Learn the difference between well and good. Guess Michelle did not cover this in one of her homefooling lessons.

I have also been known to suffer Duggar dreams. We should start a support group. Or a new thread. I've had some doozies. 

• Love 1
8 hours ago, Henri205 said:

The thing that drives me nuts is 'If he would have done this or that'.  It's 'If he had done this or that'.  I know I've heard the Duggars using that phrase. 

I agree although 'would have' is marginally better than 'would of.' 

• Love 5

It BUGS me that Jessa has developed this strong Southern accent.  She never spoke like that before...this is some kind of an act for whatever reason that lives in her head. 

• Love 4

Well, I don't mind my grammar manners here. Nor do I at work. I have to do copious amounts of documentation at work, and have developed my own kind of short hand.  

So please give me a pass. :)

• Love 2
On 5/3/2016 at 11:43 AM, Quof said:

Never give up the fight!!! Those of us who speak properly (not "those of us that speak properly".  A person is a "who" not a "that") must continue to do so, in the hope that we might convert the masses.

Oh thank god I'm not alone. I honestly don't think a single day goes by that I don't hear or read this. I mutter "who!" so often I sound like an owl. As annoying as I find the Duggars' grammar, though, I'm far more irritated by their jargon-choked rhetoric. I'd like to slap the "purposed" right out of them.

• Love 5
2 hours ago, GeeGolly said:

Well, I don't mind my grammar manners here. Nor do I at work. I have to do copious amounts of documentation at work, and have developed my own kind of short hand.  

So please give me a pass. :)

What kin ah say, youse done seen me postin'. I just don't like the cult lingo they employ (i was gunna say 'use' and changed it to sound fancy), to separate themselves from heathens. 

• Love 3
On 5/4/2016 at 8:07 AM, ghoulina said:

I don't think it's that crazy to dream about the Duggars. I've dreamed about several of my reality show people before. I know I had a dream I was a babysitter for the Duggars once. 

Half-watched the horrible Jill and Jessa show last night and the main thing I was hating on was their use of "walk through" for every moment of their life. Give it a rest already. 

I dreamed I was being hired as a nanny for Josh and Anna not long ago! I was so excited because in my dream, it was part of my master plan to be able to discover what daily life was really like for them, and if Josh was up to his old tricks again. I was playing my role so well, wearing Anna-esque skirts and quoting the bible. It was really fun! I was disappointed to wake up, and yes, I know I'm weird!

So many of their catch phrases bother me but I think you all have covered them well. One action of theirs that truly concerns me is one I mentioned on another thread, their lack of seat belts on the stink bus.

• Love 3
On May 3, 2016 at 2:44 PM, ingenting said:

How could I forget "y'alls been fixin'". 

One does not speak like that. 

I have to say here:  yes, one does speak that way.

I've been fixin all my life.  

it depends on who you're with, the lack of structure you allow into your vocabulary.  I'm sure they dress up their speech patterns if they're around someone they care to impress.  I know I do.  I haven't watched enough (ok, so none) to notice Jessa talking more slack.  I know I always feel like Jill tries hard NOT to sound country; i.e. The pronounced g at the end of a word (going-g).  

• Love 4
On May 3, 2016 at 11:44 AM, ingenting said:

How could I forget "y'alls been fixin'". 

One does not speak like that. 

We have relatives in Arkansas who actually DO speak like that. And after I've been with them for a few days, to my shock, I find that I do, too. ?

• Love 4

Unfortunately I don't make the rules, 'er Majesty the Queen does. It's her language, and if she can't comprehend it, it's not how one shall speak. 

Oh, and "fortnight" is not a weird archaic word. It's modern English! 

• Love 4
7 hours ago, becca3891 said:

I dreamed I was being hired as a nanny for Josh and Anna not long ago! I was so excited because in my dream, it was part of my master plan to be able to discover what daily life was really like for them, and if Josh was up to his old tricks again. I was playing my role so well, wearing Anna-esque skirts and quoting the bible. It was really fun! I was disappointed to wake up, and yes, I know I'm weird!

So many of their catch phrases bother me but I think you all have covered them well. One action of theirs that truly concerns me is one I mentioned on another thread, their lack of seat belts on the stink bus.

One thing that Josh did with his RV was to put in a bench seat with seat belts. It was a side facing seat, but they were able to secure the three kids car seats when they went on a road trip to see Priscilla & David.

They had a hidden Jana with them that time. Maybe you can be the nanny on the next trip. Not many secrets when y'all be fixin to travel in an RV.

• Love 3
On Wednesday, May 04, 2016 at 3:17 PM, Marigold said:

It BUGS me that Jessa has developed this strong Southern accent.  She never spoke like that before...this is some kind of an act for whatever reason that lives in her head. 

I agree. Many of the Duggar kids have a light Southern lilt, but no redneck twang. 

I have relatives in Tennessee who use "whenever" instead of "when," along with "fittin'" and "fixin," so I think those words are genuinely a part of the Duggars' lexicon, but Jessa is totally exaggerating her accent. 

• Love 3

Here's one of many things about the Duggars that infuriates me: they subscribed to "To Train Up A Child", yet their younger children behave like howler monkeys ...climbing all over the furniture and countertops in their shoes and riding bicycles, scooters, and skateboards in the house...when they have all that acreage to play on!!! The only thing I can figure out is that they like the air conditioning????

• Love 4

I hate that long icky hair.  I looked at some of the Bateses old pics last night on another thread, and I swear, Erin designs her long luxurious locks after a woman I used to see on TV when my Granny was watching Lawrence Welk in the 60's.  (And I don't think for one second Erin intentionally does the big hair for a retro look).  I think she's trying NOT to look like every other sardine in the can.  So I guess she's successful if that's her goal.  Can success be a fail?  Yep.  Just watch the election coverage.

• Love 4

I don't mind the long hair so much on the proviso that it's healthy long hair. Most Fundy hair is not healthy due to having to buy cheap shampoo and the overuse of curling irons and tons of hairspray. Also their crap diet of canned and packaged food, pizza, hot dogs, and Chick-FIL-a does them no favors either.

Want healthy hair? A diet rich in fish, olive oil, and avocado and flaxseed is a good start. Fundies don't typically have the luxury of a Whole Foods grocery budget though and have to settle for canned green beans and fruit cocktail from Aldi.

• Love 4
11 hours ago, Arwen Evenstar said:

Here's one of many things about the Duggars that infuriates me: they subscribed to "To Train Up A Child", yet their younger children behave like howler monkeys ...climbing all over the furniture and countertops in their shoes and riding bicycles, scooters, and skateboards in the house...when they have all that acreage to play on!!! The only thing I can figure out is that they like the air conditioning????

Seriously what the hell is that! They have an acreage, they are in Arkansas not Alaska, why aren't those kids outside more riding their bikes around and having picnics in their tree-house? 

47 minutes ago, lookeyloo said:

There is plenty of fresh produce at Aldi. Very reasonably priced. No excuse for them on that one. Except they'd have to deal with maybe cleaning and cooking some of it. 

Hey Jana, maybe 'your' children could go outside more and take care of a garden during the summer. 

What a waste of space and opportunity for those Duggs and kids. It bugs many of us sheesh. 

• Love 4
(edited)
14 hours ago, lookeyloo said:

There is plenty of fresh produce at Aldi. Very reasonably priced. No excuse for them on that one. Except they'd have to deal with maybe cleaning and cooking some of it. 

Cleaning AND cooking? Lol. Although you aren't lying about Aldi. I purchase my body weight in fresh produce there every week, as well as all my other grocery needs, and never spend more than fifty bucks. I can't afford Starbucks thirty times a day. Be sure to double-tap if you'd like to see me on TV.

Edited by Aja
  • Love 9
On ‎5‎/‎12‎/‎2016 at 9:18 PM, sometimesy said:

Seriously what the hell is that! They have an acreage, they are in Arkansas not Alaska, why aren't those kids outside more riding their bikes around and having picnics in their tree-house?

There was something that came up on TWOP a few years ago that I only vaguely remember, but for some reason Jim Bob did not want the kids to play outside.

3 hours ago, Quilt Fairy said:

There was something that came up on TWOP a few years ago that I only vaguely remember, but for some reason Jim Bob did not want the kids to play outside.

I thought Michelle said it was too hot to play outside. I remember thinking that it couldn't be that hot all year round.

• Love 1
6 hours ago, Quilt Fairy said:

I can understand that. Playing outside where you can see all that open sky, land, roads...  It might give you the idea you could leave.

• Love 12
1 hour ago, Arwen Evenstar said:

Annoying bug eyed selfies of Duggar parents and married Duggar kids sharing a malt.

i wonder if sharing a malt with 2 straws isn't allowed until after marriage.

Come to think of it, you're right. There is a statistically weird high number of those.

• Love 1

I'd give them the not playing outside thing.  That house is apparently on a public road with absolutely no covering trees or hedges.  It also seems to be hard-scrabble dirt.  And of course whatever is leaching over from the landfill.  If it were me, my kids not only wouldn't play outside at that site, but they wouldn't live in that neighborhood either.

• Love 1