Type keyword(s) to search

19 Things I Hate About You: How the Duggars Infuriate

• Start Topic

11 hours ago, Oldernowiser said:

It's selfish, irresponsible, and I can't stress this enough, A SHITTY THING TO DO TO A CHILD.

Even more shitty when you fail/neglect/deliberately intend to not properly feed, clothe, or educate the children.

• Love 6
On 3/19/2017 at 9:42 AM, AUgirl said:

Another example of what big hypocrites these assholes are: Shouldn't they boycott TLC since they feature a transgendered girl-Jazz- and now a gay couple-the new Nate and I forgot his name show. However they still greedily and gleefully take their money.   I really hate them. 

I'm sure they justify being on TLC as part of their ministry to show us heathens how wonderful Godly living is 

• Love 2
56 minutes ago, Marshmallow Mollie said:

I wonder if they ever shopped around for another network. 

Good point.  I think TLC put them on tv in the beginning because it was a freak show.  The Duggs took it as serious ministry but the network execs were looking at it as an insane family who had too many kids and lived in less than good conditions.  It was nothing to take seriously then and even less so now.  

IMHO TLC is stuck with them.  There are enough leghumpers out there to justify keeping it on air.  And with the family history of really big skeletons in the TTH, I seriously doubt any other network would give them the time of day.  Including UP.

• Love 5
On 2/23/2017 at 4:45 PM, Petrichor said:

My latest Duggar-related infuriation was self-inflicted: I visited Anna's instagram because I was hoping to see...I don't know, something indicating a little growth or perspective, but ha ha lol, my eyes instead lit on a smug, soft-lit meme about supporting "REAL marriage between ONE MAN and ONE WOMAN."

In my view, REAL marriage doesn't involve cheating and lying. I myself am a lady married to a lady, and our marriage is as real as it gets. 

I know Anna Duggar never had a chance, and that she owes a couple IQ points to whoever passes them out, but really, still, what an asshole.

Nothing burns me up and down like a good, old-fashioned Duggar moral judgement! CONGRATULATIONS, Anna, on your most admirable superiority! Enjoy endless decades of joyful availability in your REAL marriage to your REAL child-molesting, philandering, lying, smug, greedy, hypocritical, thick as a brick, "God fearing" doughboy! I'm sure his farts smell like Jesus's blessings!

• Love 16
On 2/23/2017 at 5:45 PM, Petrichor said:

My latest Duggar-related infuriation was self-inflicted: I visited Anna's instagram because I was hoping to see...I don't know, something indicating a little growth or perspective, but ha ha lol, my eyes instead lit on a smug, soft-lit meme about supporting "REAL marriage between ONE MAN and ONE WOMAN."

In my view, REAL marriage doesn't involve cheating and lying. I myself am a lady married to a lady, and our marriage is as real as it gets. 

I know Anna Duggar never had a chance, and that she owes a couple IQ points to whoever passes them out, but really, still, what an asshole.

A leg humper was complimenting Anna on her being able to stick to HER marriage vows thus keeping the family together.  There was no mention of Josh-u-a not keeping his. Drives me nuts how these people are so one sided.

• Love 10

Since it's Anna's fault that Josh cheated on her in the first place, it actually IS a testament to her awesome moral superiority that she was able to save her marriage after such a terrible infraction. Way to go, Anna!

• Love 4
9 hours ago, Marshmallow Mollie said:

I wonder if they ever shopped around for another network. 

I think I read that after the first special JB was pimping the family out to any TV show that would bite including morning shows and talk shows for the publicity (and his Sperm King ego, I'm guessing) hoping a network would bite. And TLC did.

• Love 2

I think I've watched every Duggar episode put on TV and I noticed a consistent bad habit all these family members have.  Little and bigger kids are always seen running around the house while eating food. Greasy grilled cheese sandwiches eaten while playing off and on couches.  Whole apples eaten while running and playing in the house.  Fistfuls of snack crackers gobbled up all over the place.  And so few meals and snacks eaten at the table, let alone with any type of a place setting.

It's no wonder their couches and car seats and bounce chairs are all grimy and stained with congealed crumbs and saliva!

I don't think kids need to be eating all day long.  A good 3 meals a day, plus a proper snack time for younger kids, eaten at the table, in their chairs, is a good habit and keeps the house a whole lot cleaner! Just my opinion but....

• Love 9
34 minutes ago, louannems said:

I think I've watched every Duggar episode put on TV and I noticed a consistent bad habit all these family members have.  Little and bigger kids are always seen running around the house while eating food. Greasy grilled cheese sandwiches eaten while playing off and on couches.  Whole apples eaten while running and playing in the house.  Fistfuls of snack crackers gobbled up all over the place.  And so few meals and snacks eaten at the table, let alone with any type of a place setting.

It's no wonder their couches and car seats and bounce chairs are all grimy and stained with congealed crumbs and saliva!

I don't think kids need to be eating all day long.  A good 3 meals a day, plus a proper snack time for younger kids, eaten at the table, in their chairs, is a good habit and keeps the house a whole lot cleaner! Just my opinion but....

I agree with you. Perhaps my parents were old school but my Mom wasn't one to carry snacks and things for us to eat when we were out and about. We ate meals when the adults ate, and we always ate meals AT the dining room table. We did have snacks and things during tv watching as a family and we weren't forbidden to eat other places but as a habit we ate at the table. 

With all their focus on "family" I am surprised meals around the family table have so little importance to them. 

• Love 13

I thought it awful when Jeremy was shown visiting the Duggars and they had that take out lasagna dinner, they all ate like they were strangers at a bus station. No one waited for everyone to be seated and NO ONE said prayers? Isn't eating TOGETHER supposed to be very 'family' and Godly? That family has NO UNITY, really, they all just are there, spinning in their own universes separately.

• Love 7
(edited)
4 hours ago, floridamom said:

I thought it awful when Jeremy was shown visiting the Duggars and they had that take out lasagna dinner, they all ate like they were strangers at a bus station. No one waited for everyone to be seated and NO ONE said prayers? Isn't eating TOGETHER supposed to be very 'family' and Godly? That family has NO UNITY, really, they all just are there, spinning in their own universes separately.

It was probably a practical decision hewed over time, based upon how long it takes to herd everyone around like cattle.  Half the people probably can't be summoned on time, and the other half probably object to cold food.  Interesting, because someone could suggest this is/as another lax area letting Satan get a toehold in the family bosom ("What?!  You don't think God provides the food you eat?  You aren't grateful for it, and don't insist upon praying over every single meal, including ostentatiously in restaurants?!")

Edited by queenanne
  • Love 8
3 minutes ago, queenanne said:

It was probably a practical decision hewed over time, based upon how long it takes to herd everyone around like cattle.  Half the people probably can't be summoned on time, and the other half probably object to cold food.  Interesting, because someone could suggest this is/as another lax area letting Satan get a toehold in the family bosom ("What?!  You don't think God provides the food you eat?  You aren't grateful for it, and don't insist upon praying over every single meal, including ostentatiously in restaurants?!")

I really, really hate seeing people pray aloud in restaurants!  And my parents are the worst!  They insist that everyone HOLD HANDS while praying!  Can someone tell me how I can delicately refrain from getting pushed into participating?  I don't pray at home, and I despise pretending to at a restaurant!

• Love 9
10 minutes ago, louannems said:

I really, really hate seeing people pray aloud in restaurants!  And my parents are the worst!  They insist that everyone HOLD HANDS while praying!  Can someone tell me how I can delicately refrain from getting pushed into participating?  I don't pray at home, and I despise pretending to at a restaurant!

Sorry, not me, as my folks still "make" guests do it also, and I've never seen anyone not at least play along.  (I grant, by this I mean, "I haven't exactly sat there and stared at my kid sister's date through a prayer, to ascertain whether or not said date has his eyes closed or what he's doing with his hands; but whenever I open my eyes they all look like they've participated at least passively in deference to house wishes.")  I guess you could try showing up late to all meals eaten out together and hope they get it out of the way before you arrive, unless it's one of those situations where you legit fear the restaurant will give away the table without your presence.

• Love 4
34 minutes ago, louannems said:

Strategically timed visits to the ladies' room? ?

• Love 3
(edited)
5 hours ago, louannems said:

That's totally awkward. Probably the only two viable outs are showing up late, as another poster suggested, or, as still another poster suggested, excusing  yourself to use the restroom as they go into prayer mode.  Subtlety won't work; you'll have to come right out and tell them to pray without you, or they'll postpone the prayer until you return. If they ignore your wishes anyway and postpone the prayer circle until after you return, be bold and excuse yourself  again to visit the restroom.  If you outlast them, they'll be forced to get the point..

My in-laws do this, and I find it to be a form of sanctimony. Jesus  himself said not to make a public display of praying ("don't pray on street corners but in your closet"). It's easy enough to say a silent prayer without making everyone around you uncomfortable.

Edited by jilliannatalia
  • Love 8

I used to work at a place where two guys would pray before eating.  One guy was quiet and quick. If you weren't looking at him you wouldn't realize it.  The other guy made a big deal out of praying and made me uncomfortable.  I went out with a guy who always wanted to hold hands and pray loudly when we went out.  We eventually broke up because that was the ONLY time he would hold my hand.  He never kissed me or anything.  This was before the Duggars, but if I went out with him now, I would think he was related to them.  

• Love 4
5 hours ago, jilliannatalia said:

I'm not a fan of Josh, but at least he owns up to being a hypocrite.

Oh yes, but he's Josh Duggar so won't admit to being just a run of the mill hypocrite. He's the Biggest Hypocrite Ever.

• Love 10
15 minutes ago, Genevrier said:

Oh yes, but he's Josh Duggar so won't admit to being just a run of the mill hypocrite. He's the Biggest Hypocrite Ever.

And proud of it.

• Love 7

I give my kids a long leash, but food, meals, and hygiene all have strict rules. The Duggars don't even adhere to the most basic rules! 

I've heard of large families having a 5pm seating and a 6pm seating. 

How can you pride yourself on your large family and then say taking care of the family in the most basic of ways is impossible due to the size? 

• Love 14
5 hours ago, jilliannatalia said:

I'm not a fan of Josh, but at least he owns up to being a hypocrite.

Yeah, I'm just not sure Joshua 100% grasps the full definition of the word.

• Love 5
(edited)
55 minutes ago, Aja said:

I think he does, but I think it didn't really apply to him.  It was Satan that built a fortress in his heart so of course it's all Satan's fault.

I'm reading a book about a guy who is a handyman in hell.  So my picture of Satan is a very well dressed man cackling over the fortress that is joshley's heart.

The book, Btw, is called Hell's Super.  It's pretty funny.

Edited by toodles
  • Love 3
8 hours ago, Aja said:

I think Josh knows what he's supposed to say to seem contrite and win back trust. I don't think he believes a word  of it, though.

• Love 9
On ‎7‎/‎18‎/‎2017 at 6:46 PM, MargeGunderson said:

I think Josh knows what he's supposed to say to seem contrite and win back trust. I don't think he believes a word  of it, though.

I don't even think he actually wrote it himself.

• Love 4

There's a new thing that's copping up with me about them that's really starting to annoy me....It's the more newly married ones who are saying 'how long' everything was for them in their courtships, etc. These kids are acting like they dated normally for YEARS and YEARS and have waited sooooooo long to FINALLY marry 'the one'. What are they talking about? Courtship and marriage, by their own admission in earlier interviews, was NOT on their minds. They said they were 'so content and happy' just living their lives day to day and had the godly patience to wait for God's timing in bringing them 'THE ONE. Their introductions,, courtships and marriage dates were ALL within a few months or 9 months with Jessa being the longest, I think. So, is that so long and drawn out? They continue to amaze and annoy me with this.

• Love 13
7 minutes ago, floridamom said:

There's a new thing that's copping up with me about them that's really starting to annoy me....It's the more newly married ones who are saying 'how long' everything was for them in their courtships, etc. These kids are acting like they dated normally for YEARS and YEARS and have waited sooooooo long to FINALLY marry 'the one'. What are they talking about? Courtship and marriage, by their own admission in earlier interviews, was NOT on their minds. They said they were 'so content and happy' just living their lives day to day and had the godly patience to wait for God's timing in bringing them 'THE ONE. Their introductions,, courtships and marriage dates were ALL within a few months or 9 months with Jessa being the longest, I think. So, is that so long and drawn out? They continue to amaze and annoy me with this.

I suppose it seems long and drawn out when you're young and not allowed to be alone with your boyfriend/girlfriend, let alone touch them.

• Love 5

Maybe they are insinuating just how long and drawn out it is for US!  First we have to see another wedding.  Then we have to go backwards and see another choosing of the wedding dress.  The shower.  The double dates.  Back up til now they are getting engaged, begging JB to court his daughter.  Getting to know you.  8 shows is a long time for us to see what to them is 3 months of action.

• Love 10
(edited)
2 hours ago, floridamom said:

I feel like they've all simply been brainwashed and indoctrinated to regurgitate the likes of that "Waiting for Prince Charming" book by the Botkins over and over.  It hasn't actually occurred to them that getting married at age 19 isn't some specific accomplishment, that 3 months is longer than some people suffer with toothaches, and you can also imagine how popular the discussion makes Jana feel.  "I have waited seeeeeeeeeewwwww long!!!1!!  Ever since I was old enough to  be told the meaning of Mom's menstrual cycle calendar stuck up on the refrigerator!", which could, at this point, be something like nine years of ceaseless dunning into the likes of Joy, that the only proper useful purpose for a woman is to be married and churning out kids, thus everything else is an interminable melodrama-laden slog.  

After all, between TLC-paid trips and filming, what actually goes on to and for the Duggars?  They aren't visibly reading anything other than their bibles occasionally, and the approved handful of doctrinaire books, they're not going to jobs, they're not going to school, they're not talking to other people about their jobs or about going to school - they had might as well be homespun pioneer women, except the pioneer women would at least be running around churning butter, canning and preserving food, pounding their washing on rocks, etc.  (Don't I seem to vaguely recall someone saying the Duggar boys actually commented on-air about sad predictable diffident whipped Bin, "at least he's something different"?)

Edited by queenanne
  • Love 5
3 hours ago, floridamom said:

My cousin dated his now wife for six years before he proposed. That is waiting. The whole family breathed a sigh of relief because everyone really liked her. She was practically already a family member since she attended family functions with my cousin for years before they were engaged.

• Love 5

I was 34 and Mr Razz 32 when we met. We were married almost 6 months later. We both roll our eyes at the 19 years olds who 'waited sooooooo long' to be married. They are stupid and naive. I don't know how Jana - even if she's content or decides she doesn't want to get married - doesn't knock them upside the head for saying that. 

• Love 8
(edited)

I think they look at Jana and are terrified they will end up a spinster just like her. Therefore, it does seem like it takes a long time. Plus, how better to show how devoted they are than by waiting patiently - and proclaiming it loudly - for God to send them their chosen husband. 

Edited by MargeGunderson
  • Love 2

I had a pretty long "courtship" as well. Five years of dating before marriage. I think the Mister and I were a little gun shy because everyone we know who got married really young was divorced by 30. 

On 7/18/2017 at 4:46 PM, MargeGunderson said:

I don't think he does either. He's been playing the game forever. Those Gothard platitudes are so seared into his memory, he can recite them in his sleep. It's only a matter of time before he screws up again. 

• Love 2
21 minutes ago, ginger90 said:

Blah, blah, blah. And how did it all work out?

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=npxjuh6UyT4

Well, they're not divorced yet...which rather seemed to be the gist of a lot of it...I wonder whether they are convinced, on some level, that their marriage is still blessed because they are still together. I don't know...I'd love to think that somehow Josh finally learned his lesson and is truly working on his issues because I'm just optimistic that way. But it's really hard to believe given all the background. I'm not religious, so the idea of God working in their marriage if they only commit themselves and pray hard enough doesn't fly with me, but at the same time, enough conscious effort and comitment toward something can yield results even without the help of a deity.

• Love 2

Their clothing choices are something I really hate about them, probably because it gives me flashbacks to my early teens. My parents were part of a charismatic cult/church when I was in the 5th-9th grades. I was allowed to wear pants, but not jeans. Pictures of myself at that age are cringe-worthy b/c I'm wearing ugly brown or navy polyester slacks and old lady matching shirts, or long Laura Ingalls type dresses, which were homemade out of cheap ugly material b/c we were poor. Even when I wore shorts, they were ugly polyester ones. 

Even during that time frame (1973-1977), there were nice, modern, modest clothes I could have worn. My brothers (18 months older & younger) got to wear jeans and t-shirts, my little sisters (5-7 years younger) got beautiful hand-me-down dresses from my wealthy aunt. 

These days, there is no reason for Michelle to wear black supportive hose and ugly Bea Arthur shoes with her ugly black skirt. Thanks to the Baby Boomers, there are beautiful, modest supportive clothing and shoes, and thanks to TLC, she can afford them. 

• Love 11