Type keyword(s) to search

S12.E08: The Consummation Deviation

Sheldon tries to bond with Amy’s father, but when Wolowitz lures Mr. Fowler away with magic tricks, Sheldon has no choice but to bond with Mrs. Fowler. Also, Koothrappali and Anu try to get physical for the first time.

Airdate: Thursday, November 8, 2018

Why do the blurb writers refer to Howard and Raj by their last names, but the other men -- and all the women -- by their first names?  Maybe they think Howard's and Raj's last names are funny, but IMO that is rather insulting.

• Love 5
54 minutes ago, CleoCaesar said:

This episode did more than any other to show that Anu and Raj just might become a great couple in a healthy relationship.

I'm pleasantly surprised.

I normally hate Raj, but this is the best storyline he's ever had. I really like Anu.

Didn't care to see more of Amy's parents, but at least the mother wasn't as big a harridan as she's been in the past. 

• Love 18
1 hour ago, Browncoat said:

Or, instead of sitting on the sofa and the random chairs (and the floor), they could use the DINING ROOM TABLE!

Not to judge those who would rather eat with their plate on their lap, but I just can't do it (not very often, at least.)  Maybe some pizza  while I'm watching a football game, but I've got to have my dining room table (we can see the TV from it.)  It is interesting though to see the trend of dining rooms seeming to be a thing of the past.  Anyway, can someone not buy an extra chair or an ottoman for Raj to sit on while eating? I would not continually sit on the floor to have a meal.  YMMV.

I loved the interaction with Sheldon and  "old lady green beans."  The selfie was pretty funny too.   Kathy Bates is a gem in this role. 

• Love 13
1 hour ago, CleoCaesar said:

This episode did more than any other to show that Anu and Raj just might become a great couple in a healthy relationship.

Yep, I'm thinking this one might go the distance, happily.  Some of the best writing in a while - loved how Raj pre-emptively addressed the whole "sitting on the floor" thing.  Shallow note - Anu is really pretty with a cool personality.  So glad she didn't bail on Raj and actually gave him a chance to explain.  The rest of the episode was kind of meh to me.

• Love 15
3 minutes ago, Winston Wolfe said:

So glad she didn't bail on Raj and actually gave him a chance to explain.  The rest of the episode was kind of meh to me.

I was hoping that one of his friends would give him some useful advice, such as don't put so much pressure on having sex on a given date.  Let it happen naturally.  I like Anu.  As I've said earlier, I'm really rooting for them as a couple.  She's mature enough to listen to Raj explain himself, rather than run into a bathroom and climb out of a window.  I think they have a chance at happiness, especially if they're both willing to accept either others little quirks.  That's pretty much the key to a happy marriage!  That was a good first step for Raj in being able to explain why he needed the booze to help him speak.  That took a lot of pressure off of him at that moment.  

3 minutes ago, MaryMitch said:

There were a couple times that Kathy Bates made facial expressions that were so "Amy".

I caught that too, and loved it!!  They really nailed it with the casting of all of the parents we've seen.  Mary will always be my favorite though, but Amy's mom and Leonard's mom are a close second!

• Love 20
2 hours ago, srpturtle80 said:

It made no sense and was so silly, but Sheldon calling Amy’s mom “green beans” cracked my ass up ?

He actually called her "old lady green beans", which IMO was even funnier. Kathy Bates has such great chemistry with Jim Parsons.

Like most of the posters here, I really like Raj with Anu, even though it's almost a trope how he became much less of an asshole once he met the right woman.

4 hours ago, Browncoat said:

Or, instead of sitting on the sofa and the random chairs (and the floor), they could use the DINING ROOM TABLE!

Didn't they return the dining room table in the same episode that they bought it because Sheldon hated it? I do agree though that they're long overdue to have a dining room table with a group this large, especially now that Sheldon doesn't live in that apartment anymore.

• Love 13
4 hours ago, ChitChat said:

Anyway, can someone not buy an extra chair or an ottoman for Raj to sit on while eating? I would not continually sit on the floor to have a meal.  YMMV.

They're not using both desk chairs.  And Amy and Sheldon appear to have 4 purple chairs for their dining table, as well as the chair near the door, any of which could be brought across the hall.  Bernadette should have a chair, too, or sit in the space between Howard and Amy.

• Love 5

The stock photos show Howard sitting on the floor in front of the couch, leaning against it.

But for sure, they could bring a chair or two across the hall, or buy more chairs. They have the money, and it's more than an occasional problem, so it's really a bit ridiculous.

• Love 10
43 minutes ago, possibilities said:

The stock photos show Howard sitting on the floor in front of the couch, leaning against it.

But for sure, they could bring a chair or two across the hall, or buy more chairs. They have the money, and it's more than an occasional problem, so it's really a bit ridiculous.

This group really likes togetherness, doesn't it?

I thought it was one of the better episodes in these latter days.  Teller being amazed by magic tricks was funny, as was Sheldon's bonding with Amy's mother.

I'm really liking Raj and Anu as a couple, hope they go the distance.  I was horrified when Raj's selective mutism made it's reappearance.

Forgive me this. but I confess I sometimes get Kathy Bates and Roseanne Barr mixed up, for whatever reason.  When they first showed her, I thought "How did she get back on TV?  How come they let her on TV here but not on The Conners?".  Lol, sorry.

• Love 2

Best part of this episode was Howard teaching Teller magic tricks, and Teller's amazement with the tricks! My love for Teller knows no bounds and hasn't for decades. I adore seeing him as Amy's dad and talking! What a darling. Kathy Bates is a prize here, too.

Agree on the just bring over some damn chairs from Amy & Sheldon's apartment. My first thought, too. So damn stupid.

I saw Raj's mutism coming when he was so very nervous in the hotel room. I'm glad they settled that in a good way. They seem to be a good match.

• Love 15
8 hours ago, MaryMitch said:

There were a couple times that Kathy Bates made facial expressions that were so "Amy". She's such a good actress, I'm assuming she did that on purpose.

Regarding Anu and Raj - They're surprising me too. Maybe we'll have a big finale in India for the wedding!

I love them together. I hope this one works.

1 hour ago, Ms Lark said:

Best part of this episode was Howard teaching Teller magic tricks, and Teller's amazement with the tricks! My love for Teller knows no bounds and hasn't for decades. I adore seeing him as Amy's dad and talking! What a darling. Kathy Bates is a prize here, too.

Agree on the just bring over some damn chairs from Amy & Sheldon's apartment. My first thought, too. So damn stupid.

I saw Raj's mutism coming when he was so very nervous in the hotel room. I'm glad they settled that in a good way. They seem to be a good match.

It was obvious but it was fun!

• Love 5

Didn't Raj say the wedding would be on Valentine's Day? So that's February sweeps, not the finale. 

I am really enjoying Raj and Anu. It was surprising to me when he lost his voice but it did make perfect sense because of all the pressure he put on himself. And I liked Anu heading to the shower and saying "Let's see what happens" and then the "Raj! Get in the shower!" when he wasn't picking up what she was putting down, heh.

I wonder how my mom would feel if I changed her nickname from Ladybug to Old Lady Green Beans, because that will never not be funny. Imma have to see about that....??

• Love 20
6 hours ago, chocolatine said:

Like most of the posters here, I really like Raj with Anu, even though it's almost a trope how he became much less of an asshole once he met the right woman.

So true.  I hope that Raj can settle down and just be himself with Anu.  She doesn't seem the type to freak out about relatively minor things, so maybe it'll help him cope with his foibles and anxieties  if she's not piling on with her little quirks, like some of the other women Raj has dated did.  Anu has a more mature approach to things, or so it seems. 

Not that I want Raj to revert back to being unable to talk to women, but the look on his face when he was trying to get the words out was kind of fun to see again (not that I'm making fun of this issue in real life.)  Thing is, he had just gotten off the phone talking to Penny, so I thought it was a nice call back to when Penny was the first woman he could talk to without alcohol.  He feels safe with her.  

• Love 9
12 hours ago, Browncoat said:

I was also wondering why they didn’t grab a chair from across the hall.  I thought it was funny that Sheldon & Amy’s mother bonded.  Not feeling the Raj - Anu thing.  But, a pretty decent episode.

I've always loved Penn & Teller so Teller can show up as often as he likes. And I'm waiting for "Uncle Penn" to make an appearance (fingers crossed).

And Raj and Anu are continuing to amuse me. I wasn't expecting it, and hope it's gone for good now, but Raj's mutism coming back was perfect. Anu understanding and them spending the night talking was a good resolution. And Anu, "I don't like music" hahahahahahahahahahaha

• Love 8

So ours is the only family with two complete table and chair sets (kitchen and dining room) and we almost always sit in the family room on the sofas and the floor?  Just us?  Oh and this show :).

"What's the problem, Green Beans?"  LOL.  And that wink.  Great little moment!

Oh and this episode answers the question raised in the wedding episode - Amy's parents are a car ride away.

Edited by CherryAmes
  • Love 8
31 minutes ago, mammaM said:

I've always loved Penn & Teller so Teller can show up as often as he likes. And I'm waiting for "Uncle Penn" to make an appearance (fingers crossed).

And Raj and Anu are continuing to amuse me. I wasn't expecting it, and hope it's gone for good now, but Raj's mutism coming back was perfect. Anu understanding and them spending the night talking was a good resolution. And Anu, "I don't like music" hahahahahahahahahahaha

I didn't expect it either and I hope it goes away. I do think it was used the right way. Raj and Anu talked and got to really know each other. Probably more talking than he did with any of his past girlfriends. He opened up to her and she opened up to him. I hope they are successful. I love them together. 

• Love 11

I laughed and smiled....pretty good for a sitcom! And if this is the quality of episodes we get on this "victory lap"...I'm ok with it.

When they used Teller in the wedding episode, I thought it was just so he could talk (like Marcel Marceau in Mel Brooks's Silent Movie)...but now it looks like they were also playing the long game of using him to work off of Howard's magic-genius!

Nice to see that Raj found someone who is far more mature than him and I am amazed that they didn't make her into a shrew...did someone have to tie up Chuck Lorre?

Its hard to ever be happy about psychological disorders, but it was kinda perfect to see the selective mutism return! Now how can we get back Skeevy Howard

• Love 8
1 hour ago, AriAu said:

Nice to see that Raj found someone who is far more mature than him and I am amazed that they didn't make her into a shrew...did someone have to tie up Chuck Lorre?

They've run out of time.  If they had one more season she would be. 

I was iffy about Anu but I agree with everyone else, she's a delight. 

• Love 8
13 hours ago, Nordly Beaumont said:

I just loved Teller being so impressed with Howard's magic. I guess it was kind of an obvious plot, but I enjoyed it. Of course, I enjoy Penn and Teller, and I enjoy Simon Helberg, so there's that.

It was a nice callback to the way that Bernadette's dad bonded more with Sheldon (over football) in the Thanksgiving episode years ago and how jealous Howard was of the bonding. 

This was easily the best episode this season. It felt like the stories each had enough time with nice payoffs for both main ones (Raj and Anu, Sheldon and Amy's parents) and some nice moments for each of the other cast members.

Raj has been extremely jerk-ish in regards to his attitude towards women over the years (still remember his "no uggos" comment regarding finding a date), but I think a lot of that has been an act he has put on to ape/keep up with Howard or because he thinks it's how he should be acting to be cool. But when he's been in relationships or even contemplating them, he has generally dropped those attitudes. In Anu he's found his perfect match because she wants what he wants, a partner, kids, a settled life, domestic bliss basically (something Raj has been seeking going back to the last time he had his parents find a date for him - the woman he wanted to marry after one date even though she was a lesbian). And not only does Anu want what he wants, but she's practical, confident and competent, all of which balances his more romantic, impulsive mode.

• Love 17
16 hours ago, Browncoat said:

I am single and the only thing my dining room table does is hold my junk and my mail.  The last time I actually ate on it was when my parents had dinner at my place.  That hasn’t happened in years.  They live close enough that I go to them so I eat on my “sitting chair”  in front of my tv.

it is nice to see Raj in a functional relationship.  

I loved the scenes with Sheldon and Amy’s Mom. 

Edited by Chaos Theory
  • Love 8

Okay, didn't mind this one. This was like old school BBT, and I really liked it. Not FUNNY per se, but it's old school BBT and it felt familar.

I'm really smug and self-satisfied right now. Wish there were a smug emoji. I liked Anu from day one. I thought she would make a great partner for Raj from the jump. And it's great to be proven correct. I REALLY LIKE HER for him! She's mature where he's immature and she never ever judges him. She's so calm and accepting that she tends to make him a better person. And it just made my heart swell (finally know what that feels like) when she talked him down off the mutism. That was awesomely sweet. 

It was cute that Sheldon wanted to bond with his in-laws, and it was funny (kinda, a little) that he and the mom had more in common than he and the dad.

I've given up on them getting a grown-up apartment with a dining room table big enough for everyone. The powers that be think this is 'funny' so....we suffer.

Overall, I liked this one. If we were giving stars, I'd give it a solid 4 out of 5.

• Love 6
14 hours ago, ChitChat said:

Anyway, can someone not buy an extra chair or an ottoman for Raj to sit on while eating? I would not continually sit on the floor to have a meal.  YMMV.

Or even grab a couple of chairs from Amy's and Sheldon's place.

Oops, seems others beat me to it!

Edited by welnoc
  • Love 2
15 hours ago, CleoCaesar said:

I wasn't thrilled with Anu at first.  It didn't help that we first see her bullying a waiter.  But the last few episodes, and this one in particular, have made me change my mind.  Her willingness to ask what was wrong and actually hear him out without judging, and then revealing some vulnerability of her own, made her pretty sympathetic.  I think it's good for Raj that she's got a strong personality, and I think his more vulnerable side is good for her as well.  As long as she stays away from bullying anyone else, I can actually endorse this couple, and that's not something I thought I'd be saying after her first episode.

3 hours ago, CherryAmes said:

So ours is the only family with two complete table and chair sets (kitchen and dining room) and we almost always sit in the family room on the sofas and the floor?  Just us?  Oh and this show :).

Nope, now that it's just my mom and my uncle when I go there, we almost always eat on tray tables pulled up to the couch.

• Love 7
9 minutes ago, proserpina65 said:

I wasn't thrilled with Anu at first.  It didn't help that we first see her bullying a waiter.  But the last few episodes, and this one in particular, have made me change my mind.  Her willingness to ask what was wrong and actually hear him out without judging, and then revealing some vulnerability of her own, made her pretty sympathetic.  I think it's good for Raj that she's got a strong personality, and I think his more vulnerable side is good for her as well.  As long as she stays away from bullying anyone else, I can actually endorse this couple, and that's not something I thought I'd be saying after her first episode.

I wasn't thrilled with her in that first episode either, though she came across more abrupt than bullying to the waiter to me.  I was also worried when she immediately proposed when Raj was leaving, which made me think she might have some serious flaws to be so desperate to hold on to the guy she just met.  The writers really could have gone either way with Anu, but I'm glad they decided to make her a much better person and match for Raj than she was in that first episode.

Edited by AnnaRose
  • Love 9
30 minutes ago, AnnaRose said:

I wasn't thrilled with her in that first episode either, though she came across more abrupt than bullying to the waiter to me.  I was also worried when she immediately proposed when Raj was leaving, which made me think she might have some serious flaws to be so desperate to hold on to the guy she just met.  The writers really could have gone either way with Anu, but I'm glad they decided to make her a much better person and match for Raj than she was in that first episode.

It was a first meeting and doesn’t she own/run/manage hotels?  So she might just be naturally abrupt in these situations.  I didn’t see it as rude. It’s hard to know when to shut off the manager especially in a similar situation.

Edited by Chaos Theory
  • Love 5
2 minutes ago, Chaos Theory said:

It was a first meeting and doesn’t she own/run/manage hotels?  So she might just be naturally abrupt in these situations.  I didn’t see it as rude. It’s hard to know when to shit off the manager especially in a similar situation.

That's a very good point.  Like I said, she just seemed unusually abrupt to me while a lot of other people thought she came across as either rude or bullying.  It made me ponder how often strong women who know what they want and are direct are so often seen as a bitch compared to men who behave in a similar manner.  I remember reading studies about that years ago.

• Love 10
8 minutes ago, Chaos Theory said:

It was a first meeting and doesn’t she own/run/manage hotels?  So she might just be naturally abrupt in these situations.  I didn’t see it as rude. It’s hard to know when to shit off the manager especially in a similar situation.

I thought she was a Concierge at a major hotel so she had connections all over the area.

I like the Raj/Anu storyline and how it is playing out. I laughed at the return of the mutism and thought that it was actually a nice/accurate touch. Raj was nervous enough about having sex that he relapsed. I like that Anu saw through his bullshit and called him on it. And I like that Raj responded to her efforts. Over all, they feel like a good fit.

The Amy/Sheldon plot was ok. I am not sure why Amy would think that it was a good idea to blame her lack of time with her parents on Sheldon. That was 1) destined to back fire and 2) cowardly. I get that it can be hard to be seen as an adult by your parents but hiding behind your husband is wimpy.

The majic plotline was fun but got old after a bit. One or two tricks would have been fine but it went on too long. I think it would have been funnier if Teller turned out to be a magical prodigy and picked up on all of the tricks really quickly but that is me.

Overall, a good episode.

• Love 3

My favorite part was Amy on the phone trying to get Sheldon out of the house by telling him his action figures were on fire and Harrison Ford was down in the lobby. Then saying "Don't listen to her . . . she's crazy!" only to realize she was talking to her mother. 

I know it's been established in the past that Howard likes magic but doing a trick for Amy's dad in the comic book store really seemed to come out of nowhere and for no other reason than the fact that it's Teller. Howard has never been known to suddenly do magic tricks apropos of nothing when meeting new people. 

• Love 4
35 minutes ago, ProfCrash said:

I think it would have been funnier if Teller turned out to be a magical prodigy and picked up on all of the tricks really quickly but that is me.

That's what I thought was going to happen - or it would turn out that he was already an accomplished magician. Seems kind of a waste to have Teller there and not have him do some magic.

I did like Sheldon bonding with Amy's mom.

Really liked Raj and Anu together, liked that she insisted he tell her what was wrong and was understanding about.  Also liked that they spent the whole night talking.

Only thing in the episode I didn't like was Leonard and Penny having such different opinions on the first time they had sex.  Lucikly there wasn't too much of that.

Edited by Trey
  • Love 2
11 hours ago, ItCouldBeWorse said:

They're not using both desk chairs. 

My guess from back when they were wrangling over the table is that Sheldon is unwilling to accept the "misuse" of a chair; desk chairs are for desks and dining room chairs are for dining room tables.

• Love 3

I love that despite the fact that Raj's Selective Mutism went away several years ago, the second it came back you could tell exactly what it was, didn't even have to wait for him to grab the booze. That was a very neat bit of nonverbal acting!

• Love 14

I'm one of those who didn't like Anu when she first met Raj.  She seemed to be an abrupt bully who will just steamroller right over Raj.  But, then we get to know her, and she's patient, understanding, able to be vulnerable and accept vulnerability, funny, affectionate, and open--but still able to direct Raj when he hangs back.  Then that gives us an insight into why, like Raj, she's seeking an arranged marriage:  she makes a bad first impression.  I'm liking them together more and more.

I knew this was going to a good place when Raj spoke up to everyone else about not wanting Anu to be stuck sitting on the floor.  He was sensitive enough that he recognized Anu was joining an already cohesive friends group, and he doesn't want her to start from a deficit, or seem to be slighted by sitting on the floor.  He also was considerately thinking that she (well, anyone really) would be more comfortable sitting in a chair. 

Seriously.  I know they had that whole episode about the dining room table, and Sheldon's "spot" on the couch, and I know that many people prefer to sit in their living rooms to eat and watch TV, but when you're talking about seven, eight, or sometimes nine people trying to balance takeout boxes and various drinks on their laps and the tiny coffee table, it is time to just go for the time-honored dining room table.  I get it, it is a blocking thing so the cameras can see each actor, but they're not even pretending they're watching TV anymore while they're eating.  It is becoming awkward, and I think last night was production's nod to that fact.  They showed the two huge cardboard boxes everyone's dinner was hauled inside and how awkward it was to riffle through to find this and that.  The amount of garbage generated by these constant takeout dinners must be incredible! 

• Love 9

I wonder if the change in Anu has anything to do with them now writing for a final season?  When we first meet Anu IIRC the writers would not have known this.  It's possible they've decided to go in a different direction now - perhaps she was meant to be another typical Chuck Lorre bully who would run her course and be off the show but they've decided to give Raj a decent relationship to round off the series.

• Love 9
59 minutes ago, HurricaneVal said:

I know they had that whole episode about the dining room table, and Sheldon's "spot" on the couch, and I know that many people prefer to sit in their living rooms to eat and watch TV, but when you're talking about seven, eight, or sometimes nine people trying to balance takeout boxes and various drinks on their laps and the tiny coffee table, it is time to just go for the time-honored dining room table.

Considering Sheldon's interest in cleanliness, why is everyone using their laps and furniture arms instead of having foldable eating surfaces? I'm thinking of those things that stand at the side of a chair or sofa with a base that tucks under and a surface that swings up,  flat, and around.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, LoneHaranguer said:

Considering Sheldon's interest in cleanliness, why is everyone using their laps and furniture arms instead of having foldable eating surfaces?

Sheldon is also very much a creature of habit. As we saw in flashbacks, he found it difficult to accept any furniture at all when Leonard brought in the couch. So the fact that they've been eating like that since they were poor assistant professors (or however they started their careers) means it will be very hard for the gang to get Sheldon to graduate to eating like a grown-up. They tried a couple of times, but it didn't take!

• Love 1

"Old lady green beans."  Seriously, how does Sheldon not get punched every day of his life?  

And when he showed up at her door and said "Turnip's out.  I'm going to bond with you," I cracked up.  You could just see her thinking "what are you talking about and do I really want to bond with you?  Probably not."

Why not bring a couple of dining room chairs over from Leonard and Amy's?  

Just now, Gummo said:

Sheldon is also very much a creature of habit. As we saw in flashbacks, he found it difficult to accept any furniture at all when Leonard brought in the couch. So the fact that they've been eating like that since they were poor assistant professors (or however they started their careers) means it will be very hard for the gang to get Sheldon to graduate to eating like a grown-up. They tried a couple of times, but it didn't take!

But, we've seen him eating at a table with Amy.  And he eats at tables at restaurants.  And when he goes home to visit his mom.

• Love 2
14 minutes ago, Katy M said:

But, we've seen him eating at a table with Amy.  And he eats at tables at restaurants.  And when he goes home to visit his mom.

Hey, I'm trying!

Back in the 1960s, Stan Lee, legendary editor of Marvel Comics, got a little fed up with readers pointing out mistakes, so he asked them instead to come up with creative solutions to cover the mistakes, and he would playfully award "No-Prizes" to the best ones. I guess I'm trying for a Big Bang Theory No-Prize!

• Love 4
29 minutes ago, Katy M said:

His mom seems to be the type that would require all meals to be ate at the dinner table. He was young when he left for college so eating in front of the tv may have been his form of rebellion which just became habit. This weeks episode Young Sheldon may have just shown the beginning of that habit when he eats dinner while playing a video game.