Type keyword(s) to search

JD and Abbie: Captured Before the Rapture

frenchtoast
  • Start Topic

3 hours ago, MsJamieDornan said:

Where I live that haircut is called the Gay Toupee. And thankfully is starting to go out of style.

I was under the impression that the hipster crowd picked up the undercut style after watching Peaky Blinders and then it spread to anyone who wanted to look like a hipster which caused the hipsters to move on because it isn't cool anymore if everyone's doing it. I guess it's gone one step further by now and even the wannabe hipsters are abandoning the style. Which is a good thing IMO because very few people can pull it off who's not a Shelby.

• Love 7

I'm all about making the wedding about the couple, because it should be. However I think they should go all the way. If you want an ice cream themed reception, great, but have it indoors or when the weather is warm. If you want a haystack and field of wild flowers themed wedding, then rent a tent and do it in a field. If you want a breakfast themed wedding, then start the reception at 11am...

Edited by GeeGolly
  • Love 13

JD looks hung over as hell. His choice of tux yes, is rather nice, but this photo is awful. He looks like he forgot about the wedding and didn't have time to wash his face, shower or shave. I don't think a 2pm wedding ceremony was the proper time of day to serve a wedding BREAKFAST. Late morning ceremony is time for a wedding brunch. I agree that LUNCH would have been the better choice. I give the Burnetts points for having it INDOORS, TABLES AND CHAIRS and FOOD for their guests. The Duggars need to TAKE NOTE of this.

Jeremy's haircut is awful...way too short. He needs to wear suits that actually fit him and those silly pink socks..sorry, not to a wedding. Lose the bow ties while he's at it.

Spurge looks like a hot mess himself. Jessa probably dressed him in the first things she could find in that pile of laundry tossed in the bed. His clothing doesn't match IMO.

• Love 11

I'd like to be charitable and say that Lawson really loves holding babies, but he is always holding babies and is such a self promoter, that I can't help but think he's using them as props to show what an awesome fundie catch he would be!  Also, Lawson - don't wear jeans to a wedding. No amount of baby holding excuses that!

I agree with posters who have said that pancakes for a morning wedding would be lovely, but for an afternoon wedding, that's a little weird.  But at least they fed their guests.  Abbie looks very pretty and I think she may have asked JD to have the stubble.  I'm looking forward to more pics!

• Love 14
9 hours ago, Kbo said:

I don’t know what’s going on with the back of JD’s jacket, but I want to reach through the screen and pull it down.  

Might be his mike pack (battery) if the wedding was being filmed.

• Love 7

I like the idea of breakfast, but I prefer breakfast for dinner or lunch in general. BUT, I only think it’s appropriate if there is a reason for it (JD and Abbie would get breakfast together a lot while courting, it’s both JD and Abbie’s favorite, etc) I do not think it’s appropriate if they chose it because it cheaply feeds a crowd. That’s tacky.

**full disclaimer: I had a very small wedding late in the evening and only served dessert and coffee/ drinks. Still cost an arm and a leg but I wasn’t interested in a full meal. I just wanted simple and casual. 

• Love 3

I agree, lookeyloo.  I personally prefer small, inexpensive weddings and would rather put money towards a home.  In fact I'm more likely to spend the car ride home snarking on how too much money was spent, rather than too little.  But that's my taste and to each their own.  That said, I really hope JD and Abbie did what they wanted, rather than Duggar style.  

51 minutes ago, Churchhoney said:

Maybe that was the Abbie-fam's homage to the groom's family. It's fairly close to Duggar time, isn't it?

That is hilarious, Churchie!

• Love 15

I'm OK with breakfast for a reception meal, but I love breakfast for dinner sometimes.  I like Abbie's hair and the bouquet and from what I can tell I like her dress, at least it's not a Franken-dress mash up. I like stubble on a guy, but JD's stubble is a little too patchy, but if Abbie likes it, that is all that matters.  The main thing is they look happy.  I know it probably won't happen, but I would love to see them in Oklahoma with Abbie working.  Then maybe wait about a year (at least) before getting pregnant and spend that time getting to know each other.  

Edited by Lisa418722
  • Love 12
13 hours ago, lascuba said:

Like @BitterApple said, the Hitler Youth cut is in among...let's say "a certain segment of the population" and leave it at that. 

You mean the military? I see a variation of that cut all day long at work although his version looks a little "Bragg Swoop" adjacent (sans facial scruff). I prefer short hair every day to the greasy shaggy unkempt messes I see everywhere; particularly at high school football games.

JD and Abbie look both happy and like themselves. I wholeheartedly concur!

• Love 6
7 minutes ago, PikaScrewChu said:

Are my eyes deceiving me or does it look like an entire family decided to show up in coordinating aqua-colored outfits in the back?

Looks like. It's like the "modern" day version of the horrifying handmade prairie dress frumpers we used to see the Duggar and Bates daughters wear back in the day, modern being a relative term. So, in that perspective, it could be much, much worse. Honestly, I'd love to see random wedding pictures of these weddings before the Duggar family brought the fundy life main stream. Imagine.... all the families with 12 kids, all dressed alike, just patches of matching outfits in color blocks. 

• Love 10

This is what I don't get about their cult...they scream all day long about how it's skirts ONLY, and they will never wear pants, etc. They claim it's because they're supposed to wear "feminine attire." I don't know about you, but when I see a fundie woman in a flannel lumberjack top and frumpy jean skirt, the LAST thing I think is "wow, she's feminine!" Someone like the girl in the picture wearing the long green top and dress pants, however, does look feminine to me. It seems like these people are defeating the purpose by buying the most masculine clothes out there that technically abide by their rules. If they were subtly making a statement, that would be great, but it seems to be a comfort / price / ignorance thing, at least to me. 

It just seems odd that you would only wear skirts and dresses, but also only dress super casually. Everyone I can think of owns at least one decent dress...and it may be from Walmart, but everyone should own just some kind of basic dress, especially people who ONLY wear dresses and skirts! Poor people have a basic dress. People from big families have a basic dress. I had a student once who "didn't wear dresses" when one was required for her role, so I went to Walmart and bought her a basic black dress for five dollars that looked beautiful on her! Given that she was plus size and fourteen, and not fundie, the fact that she lived in hoodies and jeans didn't surprise me, but if skirts and dresses are all you wear because you're trying to look "feminine," how do you not have at least one feminine-looking outfit for weddings and funerals, at least?

ETA: if "feminine" isn't your style and you are fundie...could it be...God isn't "convicting" you to wear skirts every day?

Edited by Christina87
  • Love 23

I absolutely love breakfast for supper.  Probably because I’m not all that enthused about cooking when I first wake up. Maybe that’s how the bride and groom feel.  Maybe breakfast for supper has good memories for at least one of them.   Who cares? It’s a meal, served to people sitting at tables inside. The guests look as if they were invited to make themselves comfortable.   A wedding and reception is supposed to be joyous, and they appear happy. 

• Love 20
4 hours ago, floridamom said:

Spurge looks like a hot mess himself. Jessa probably dressed him in the first things she could find in that pile of laundry tossed in the bed. His clothing doesn't match IMO.

Is he that mismatched? To me it's just the pants that don't go, and at his age it's possible he had an accident or he didn't fit into the pants but fit the jacket. It's unfortunate Jessa didn't have a pair of black or gray pants for him to better match the jacket, but hey, I really doubt many people are judging a three-year-old's outfit.

And at least Jessa put the effort in to make it look like both Spurge and Henry were going to a wedding, as opposed to Jill. Sam looks like he's headed for a playground. (And I'm not one to think babies need to be uncomfortably dressy, but considering there are comfortable dressy-ish choices and considering Sam's jeans and hiking boots don't look super comfy to begin with...)

• Love 11

Regarding the guests- I just don't get it.  You dress up for a wedding. If you are a guest you don't have to go all out, but still a nice dress or pantsuit for a woman, and a suit, or a jacket and tie for a man. 

But this seems to be a trend.  I have noticed people rarely dress up anymore. I have seen people in t-shirts and jeans at funerals (the biggest taboo for me), graduations, and other important occasions.  When I was a kid people dressed up when they flew somewhere. Now they wear pajamas to the grocery store.  

• Love 24
7 minutes ago, dargosmydaddy said:

Is he that mismatched? To me it's just the pants that don't go, and at his age it's possible he had an accident or he didn't fit into the pants but fit the jacket. It's unfortunate Jessa didn't have a pair of black or gray pants for him to better match the jacket, but hey, I really doubt many people are judging a three-year-old's outfit.

And at least Jessa put the effort in to make it look like both Spurge and Henry were going to a wedding, as opposed to Jill. Sam looks like he's headed for a playground. (And I'm not one to think babies need to be uncomfortably dressy, but considering there are comfortable dressy-ish choices and considering Sam's jeans and hiking boots don't look super comfy to begin with...)

Where are you seeing a picture of Sam?

• Love 1
15 hours ago, ginger90 said:

That super blonde hair, those curls plus the bowtie - all he needs is lederhosen and he could slip right in to a Von Trapp family reunion.   Jessa and Ben did make some cute kids though and they're far less likely to "correct" the spark out of them then some other parents <coughDerrickcough>  Hope he's partied out because there was an actual party.

Well guess I'll be sucked into their world again - curiosity will definitely get me to tune in to the wedding episode (or find it on demand sometimes they have it in advance). 

• Love 12
6 minutes ago, 3 is enough said:

Regarding the guests- I just don't get it.  You dress up for a wedding. If you are a guest you don't have to go all out, but still a nice dress or pantsuit for a woman, and a suit, or a jacket and tie for a man. 

But this seems to be a trend.  I have noticed people rarely dress up anymore. I have seen people in t-shirts and jeans at funerals (the biggest taboo for me), graduations, and other important occasions.  When I was a kid people dressed up when they flew somewhere. Now they wear pajamas to the grocery store.  

I saw a woman in pajama bottoms, flip-flops and a shower cap at Walmart once. I know, low bar and all, but damn. Have some self-respect. 

Even if the guys did khakis and collared shirts, that would be a huge step up from jeans and tees. 

Henry is adorable. Spurge is cute, but given his resemblance to Boob, I think he's going to fall victim to the Duggar Male Curse once he hits puberty. I think Henry has more Seewald in him.

Edited by BitterApple
  • Love 6
43 minutes ago, Christina87 said:

This is what I don't get about their cult...they scream all day long about how it's skirts ONLY, and they will never wear pants, etc. They claim it's because they're supposed to wear "feminine attire." I don't know about you, but when I see a fundie woman in a flannel lumberjack top and frumpy jean skirt, the LAST thing I think is "wow, she's feminine!"

I believe the point becomes plain when you remember that men may not care about how women look. But many have a deep-rooted interest in the ease of access available to the woman's owner. .... Just sayin'.

• Love 4
3 minutes ago, 3 is enough said:

I also thought the casual wear was odd for a wedding; a lot of the guests look like they're just wearing their normal, every day clothing. Was there a dress code written out on the wedding invitations? If not, perhaps in these circles no dress code means casual dress? There seem to be a lot of low income families with lots of kids in this group so maybe this is a courtesy extended by the bride and groom so as to not embarrass or inconvenience those who can't afford fancier clothes but still want to come to the wedding, IDK

• Love 13
8 minutes ago, sigmaforce86 said:

That super blonde hair, those curls plus the bowtie - all he needs is lederhosen and he could slip right in to a Von Trapp family reunion.   Jessa and Ben did make some cute kids though and they're far less likely to "correct" the spark out of them then some other parents <coughDerrickcough>  Hope he's partied out because there was an actual party.

Well guess I'll be sucked into their world again - curiosity will definitely get me to tune in to the wedding episode (or find it on demand sometimes they have it in advance). 

Spurgeon and Henry are both wearing matching pants.  I don't think Spurgeon had an accident and Jessa changed him. I love their pants with their cute jackets.

Now Sammy, even being a baby, could have been dressed in something better than gum boots and a logo shirt!

• Love 9
7 minutes ago, louannems said:
18 minutes ago, sigmaforce86 said:

Spurgeon and Henry are both wearing matching pants.  I don't think Spurgeon had an accident and Jessa changed him. I love their pants with their cute jackets.

Now Sammy, even being a baby, could have been dressed in something better than gum boots and a logo shirt!

Hmmm - now that I read your reply I realize my post could easily be read as knocking the outfit.  That's on me, I didn't say it well and I actually meant to compliment Henry, he's turning into a cutie like Spurgeon but he's so, so pale blond the first thing I thought of were those little Hummel figurines (which lead me to Sound of Music).  

Now off to find Sammy pictures to see what all the talk of his wedding outfit is about - that family is snark worthy although that's all on the parents not Sam or Isreal who have no choice in it!   

Also forgot to say before that in Jeremy's picture with Gideon to me Jer with that slicked back haircut looks remarkably like Ricky Ricardo.

Edited by sigmaforce86
  • Love 1

I still follow the rule to dress for the occasion and I raised my kids that way too. At the very least no jeans, Ts or sweatshirts.

I liked Spurge's and Henry's outfits. I wonder if Jessa knew what Jeremy was wearing because they kind of match him.

• Love 5
13 hours ago, Kbo said:

I don’t know what’s going on with the back of JD’s jacket, but I want to reach through the screen and pull it down.  

I hate when this happens with any picture.   Didn't the photographer or someone else standing around notice his jacket was hiked up & say something?

Something similar happened last week on QVC. The host was standing with a wreath hanging behind her. It looked like antlers coming out of her head. Someone  must have noticed because she casually moved herself down the set. 

Off topic:  My mother had a fit the photographer had my dad remove pictures from the wall in the living room for  my family wedding photos.  They finally convinced her they didn't want anything on the walls to show up looking funky behind us in the photos. 

39 minutes ago, mythoughtis said:

I absolutely love breakfast for supper.  Probably because I’m not all that enthused about cooking when I first wake up. Maybe that’s how the bride and groom feel.  Maybe breakfast for supper has good memories for at least one of them.   Who cares? It’s a meal, served to people sitting at tables inside. The guests look as if they were invited to make themselves comfortable.   A wedding and reception is supposed to be joyous, and they appear happy. 

I agree.  I'm hoping not only did they serve pancakes but had an omelet station, make your own yogurt parfaits, a variety of breads & baked goods,  fruit salad and various breakfast meats.  Maybe cereal for the younger (or older) set.  I wonder what kind of wedding cake they had. 

• Love 7
41 minutes ago, cmr2014 said:

Where are you seeing a picture of Sam?

He's the baby being held by Lawson Bates.

29 minutes ago, louannems said:

Well, their pants match each other anyway! I don't think Spurgie's pants look particularly great with his jacket (which I thought was black at first, but now looks dark gray?), but I am in no way a fashionista, so maybe dark gray/ brown is a thing? Either way, he looks fine to me, and kudos for Jessa to making some kind of an effort.

Meanwhile people on FJ are snarking at Jessa's own outfit choice. And I'm a little surprised that both Jessa and Jinger seem to be wearing black. (I know wearing black to a wedding isn't as taboo as it used to be, but it still seems a bit of an odd choice.)

image.png.54ee7cd55d49df495db8c4e6aacf6805.png

• Love 6

Jesus, what is the deal with fundies and cardigans? Jessa looks awful. She's an attractive young woman and the dress looks fine. Then she threw that sloppy, shapeless cardigan on top.

Oh, and Jessa, comb your damn hair!

With Jill upping her game, Jessa may become the new "frumpy sister."

And, again we have the full length shot. Is there something immodest about cropping a picture in fundie-land?

• Love 21
21 minutes ago, dargosmydaddy said:

He's the baby being held by Lawson Bates.

Well, their pants match each other anyway! I don't think Spurgie's pants look particularly great with his jacket (which I thought was black at first, but now looks dark gray?), but I am in no way a fashionista, so maybe dark gray/ brown is a thing? Either way, he looks fine to me, and kudos for Jessa to making some kind of an effort.

Meanwhile people on FJ are snarking at Jessa's own outfit choice. And I'm a little surprised that both Jessa and Jinger seem to be wearing black. (I know wearing black to a wedding isn't as taboo as it used to be, but it still seems a bit of an odd choice.)

image.png.54ee7cd55d49df495db8c4e6aacf6805.png

That cardigan is awful!! Ugh. 

Why do you think black is an odd choice? Most of my formal wear has black in it. 

• Love 8

Jinger looks nice.  Jessa looks very dressed down.  It is her brother's wedding, not just some random acquaintance's.    Maybe she was ticked off that she was not asked to be part of the bridal party.  

She did dress the boys nicely though.  

Edited by 3 is enough
  • Love 10

I'm trying to figure out Jessa's choice of footwear.   Looks like basic Walmart tan or beige flats to me.  If she prefers to wear flats , why can't she find dressier ones?  Something with a bow or other clip on decoration or patent leather. 

Are they not allowed to wear black hose?  Oops, just remembered about Mechelle.   I think both Jinge & Jessa's outfits would have looked nicer with dark hose. 

I noticed Jinge has on the dangly earrings the Duggar girls favor.  Anna was wearing hers at Joy's birthday party. 

• Love 1
1 hour ago, 3 is enough said:

Ughhhh this bothers me to no end!!!! The first time I went to the Met opera in HD (in movie theatre no less...not actually there), I wore a cute / casual dress with leggings to kind of get "in the mood"...not super dressy or anything. Plus I was having dinner with a friend before, and wanted to look decent. However, I was ENRAGED when they showed the audience...I couldn't believe how people were dressed! There were people in jeans and casual tops like i would wear to work on casual Friday! I had made more of an effort to see it in the movie theatre than they had AT THE FREAKING MET!!!!! On opening night!!! Of the WHOLE SEASON!!!! Like...wtf? If I had the privilege of ever going to the Met for anything, I would legit wear a formal gown. My friend kind of laughed, but then I asked, "why don't they just quit selling formal gowns for adults, and cocktail dresses? If you aren't wearing one to the opening night at the Met, what occasion would you actually wear it for?" He agreed with me then!

On top of that, once the Met Facebook posted an article like, "fun ways to dress for the opera!" It showed a wide variety of women and men dressed beautifully, from formal ball gowns to cute, tasteful dress pants paired with a top and cheap jewelry. I thought it was an awesome photo gallery, and really included every type of budget / taste while all still looking nice enough for the opera. Literally could be done with clothes from Walmart; a lot of thought went into it. Then I read the comments. People were yelling and ranting about how "elitist" it was, and "this is why opera is dying out, you f****** snobs!!!" And "as an adult, sorry, but you don't f****** get to tell me what to wear. I only like jeans!" I couldn't believe how strong the public backlash was for the Met just SUGGESTING people make an effort in a lighthearted, fun way. And these were people who were already following the Met on fb, not backwoods hicks who think Walmart is a special occasion. 

Honestly, after that experience, I have no hope for society ever valuing appearance again (ironically, appearance as in beauty standards are high as ever, but not decorum / respect). By the time our grandkids get married, they'll be choosing which wifebeater and pair of white cotton shorts they're going to wear to walk down the aisle! I swear, it's ridiculous. 

17 minutes ago, BitterApple said:

Sam is precious, but jeez, Jill. Did you skip laundry day? She couldn't have found a nicer outfit for him to wear?

What happened to Jessa? She looks like she's given up on making the slightest effort with regards to her appearance. The dress isn't bad, but that cardigan looks like it came from Mr. Roger's closet. 

Seriously. Maybe she was cold, but she could have brought a cute black peacoat, and it would have looked classy with the dress. 

Edited by Christina87
  • Love 22
35 minutes ago, Scarlett45 said:

Why do you think black is an odd choice? Most of my formal wear has black in it. 

Black seems more funereal than wedding-esque, and used to be seen as a wedding "not." Like I said, I realize that's not really the case anymore, but I still found it a little odd that JD's sisters (both of whom will likely be in a bunch of photos) chose to wear solid black dresses to his mid-day wedding. YMMV. 

• Love 8

I've always thought black was more of a night wedding thing. I remember when my cousin got married in 2001 at night and had a black and white wedding. All the older relatives were thrown for a loop! As most of my formalwear is black, I have usually stuck to a colored dress if in the daytime / black dress at night for weddings, and have always fit in. 

6 minutes ago, Absolom said:

Oddly enough where I'm from a sweater is acceptable at a wedding, but wearing a pea coat would not be.  A dress or suit jacket would be a different matter.  

Oh, I didn't mean for the actual service! I just assumed the picture was from the hangar reception and it might have been drafty. I would imagine slipping on a coat in a semi-outdoor reception location wouldn't be a faux pas, especially when other people are wearing jeans!

• Love 7

I am a naturally cold blooded person, so I understand wanting a cardigan, shawl etc with a formal dress- but Jessa’s was a poor choice for a reality star/social media personality. It doesn’t fit, nor does it look to be Ben’s that she threw on (which would be cute and romantic). The Duggar women are known for wearing ill fitting, work out cardigans- I have nothing against cardigans or twin sets but they make so many nice ones!

Edited by Scarlett45
  • Love 17
1 hour ago, BitterApple said:

Sam is precious, but jeez, Jill. Did you skip laundry day? She couldn't have found a better outfit for him to wear?

What happened to Jessa? She looks like she's given up on making the slightest effort with regards to her appearance. The dress isn't bad, but that cardigan looks like it came from Mr. Roger's closet. Jinger and the blonde girl look nice.

Because when she does make an effort people complain about what a vain bitch she is.

• Love 16
14 hours ago, Sew Sumi said:

Wedding to air on 11/27. Pancakes were served at the reception.

http://www.tlc.com/tlcme/john-david-duggar-marries-abbie-burnett-see-the-first-photo/

Yay, it looks like the wedding special is just an hour long. It says it starts at 10 pm.  Maybe the wedding prep will be condensed down or shown on an episode of Counting On.    

It will seem kind of weird to see the wedding when the proposal hasn't been shown yet on the show.  But that is the typical way of TLC, televising things out of order.

14 hours ago, Lunera said:

689c3e21-09b0-4410-a502-0cc36053598c.thumb.jpg.6b2da0151ca6ecabec901552bb59e7d1.jpg6d5ebff9-4b20-4675-9370-12ad1debbbd8-518x639.jpg.b61511a0dd34e1fd3049262be9e5d84d.jpgNathan was a groomsman. JDs tie might be light pink.

Oh poor Sammy. Like someone else posted, he looks like he's coming from the playground.  He looks better dressed in Jill's home videos and was definitely dressed from the laundry pile or from clothes lying around.  It must have not occurred to the Derelicts it was Sam & Izzy's uncle that got married & to maybe dress them up somewhat. Wonder what the rest of the Dullards wore? I'm hoping Sammy wasn't the best dressed of the bunch.

• Love 8

I hate the way people are dressed so casually but considering this subculture....meh. You can't call an event formal when you buy dollar store decorations and providing food other than cake and punch is the exception rather than the rule. I like to dress up, myself, but I can't criticize those who wear jeans to what is essentially a giant picnic in which a couple happened to get married. 

• Love 9
30 minutes ago, lascuba said:

Because when she does make an effort people complain about what a vain bitch she is.

Exactly. She can't win. Would I have worn that particular cardigan with that particular dress? Maybe not to a wedding, but there's certainly nothing wrong with it. She's not in the wedding party, she's not trying to upstage the bride, none of her bits and pieces are showing, and I've seen the last two happen at receptions. Her kids looked clean and appropriate, unlike poor Sam who looks like Izzy dressed him or he picked his own outfit.

• Love 21