Type keyword(s) to search

Jeopardy! Season 35 (2018-2019)

Athena
  • Start Topic

1 hour ago, SpiritSong said:

I can understand that reasoning, but they don't have to be so damn cheap with their 2nd and 3rd prizes. A thousand dollars? That probably doesn't even cover airfare/hotel/transportation/food for the contestant. I think $5000 and $3000 would be better prizes for coming in second or third.

They're so cheap they squeak. Still, $2,000 and $1,000 prizes beat the years when those prizes were along the lines of "The Guitar" and "The Olympic Pin Set".

• Love 1
15 minutes ago, Tabasco Cat said:

They're so cheap they squeak

On The Price is Right, winners have to be within $250 in order to win both showcases (up from $100). I think it's been $250 for 15-20 years (definitely while Bob was still host). They've had a few recently that would have had it if the margin had been $1000 or even $500 instead of $250.

23 minutes ago, KLovestoShop said:

Just kinda throwing it out there, but for someone who’s so apparently brilliant, why spend your time being a professional gambler?  How about doing things to benefit others?  

This has already been discussed a few pages back.

I got FJ right.  Which was good.  I had to redeem my double jeopardy performance.  Guess they weren't my categories. Or I'm just having a stupid day.

• Love 1
2 hours ago, saber5055 said:

While I'm in Illinois, I get Jeopardy on the NBC affiliate out of Davenport, Iowa, so you are safe in the Chicago market.

But I didn’t! It was set on the DVR this morning and when I got home, nothing was recorded. I wonder if I lost power during the storm. Boo hiss.

48 minutes ago, KLovestoShop said:

Just kinda throwing it out there, but for someone who’s so apparently brilliant, why spend your time being a professional gambler?  How about doing things to benefit others?  

And on top of this already having been discussed here, as @Katy M posted (and the topic was pretty much beaten to death on this thread), if you listen to the two WGN radio podcasts, links also posted, you will learn James has been donating to food banks and needy children funds in LV and the Chicago area. Knowing trivia doesn't exactly qualify one to build rockets for NASA, but being a professional gambler does give one insight on how to choose clues and bet DDs to win on Jeopardy.

16 minutes ago, SHD said:

But I didn’t! It was set on the DVR this morning and when I got home, nothing was recorded. I wonder if I lost power during the storm. Boo hiss.

That stinks. We had big storms here too, lots of lightning and thunder. And water. You are now a member of The Skip-A-Day club I guess, along with moi.

• Love 5

Speculation:

Spoiler

It's been discussed about how winners don't get their winnings until months after their episode(s) have aired. If James is giving $$ to charities already, does that mean he's been paid already? Has he been beaten?

1 hour ago, KLovestoShop said:

First be true to yourself....after having jobs and professions that have made me miserable for years...most of which "benefit others," I have nothing but respect for people who do something they love and figure out how to get paid for it.  Maybe he does that and donates a lot of time and/or money to things that "benefit" others?   I guess he is brilliant enough to know what makes him happy and that is more than most of us can say. 

I know it is to thine own self be true...but I'm twisting this to mean what I want! 

• Love 14
25 minutes ago, Prevailing Wind said:

Speculation:

Reveal spoiler

It's been discussed about how winners don't get their winnings until months after their episode(s) have aired. If James is giving $$ to charities already, does that mean he's been paid already? Has he been beaten?

Spoiler

Has he actually already given money?  If so, didn't he vaguely allude to the fact that they were "doing alright" so maybe he is giving away money he already had because he knows he will be getting more?

I have no expectation that James will be on for as long as Ken Jennings or even for a long time.  He doesn't have to be for me to be impressed with his play. 

• Love 4
17 minutes ago, Prevailing Wind said:

Speculation:

Reveal spoiler

He wouldn't have the money yet. The check doesn't come till after his last episode airs, whenever that may be.

I look forward to the endless Ken vs. James discussions until it finally gets settled via an epic tournament, hopefully sooner rather than later.

• Love 5
21 minutes ago, Abstract said:

He wouldn't have the money yet. The check doesn't come till after his last episode airs, whenever that may be.

I look forward to the endless Ken vs. James discussions until it finally gets settled via an epic tournament, hopefully sooner rather than later.

Brad Rutter will probably still win.  He's never been beaten by a human being.  Just being current champ doesn't get you to that title--you have to do the tournaments and all the other chances for really good players to beat you before  you can claim that.  Even a one day champ could claim the title then, even if only overnight.

• Love 3

I have a feeling James was not exactly poor before he got on Jeopardy. I just "assumed" that after listening to interviews with his brother, a lawyer. Plus he knows a nice check is coming eventually. Who knows, he might have been supporting charities before he got on Jeopardy. I am below poverty level yet I support and give to causes I believe in.

• Love 20

We didn't get the show tonight - there was a shooting on the campus of a university about 2 miles away from me, it started about an hour before J! normally airs, and we had wall-to-wall news coverage.

15 minutes ago, saber5055 said:

I have a feeling James was not exactly poor before he got on Jeopardy. I just "assumed" that after listening to interviews with his brother, a lawyer. Plus he knows a nice check is coming eventually. Who knows, he might have been supporting charities before he got on Jeopardy. I am below poverty level yet I support and give to causes I believe in.

I had the feeling too, James does well as a Professional Gambler...he has told several stories to Alex about trips to Europe...tonight he mentioned taking his little daughter to Ireland....so he must have money to travel.

• Love 5
26 minutes ago, Ailianna said:

Brad Rutter will probably still win.  He's never been beaten by a human being.  Just being current champ doesn't get you to that title

I know being the current champ doesn't get you the title, but James isn't just any current champ, he's a Jeopardy-history-making machine. 

As a Brad fan, I'll agree with you that he'd probably beat them both. James is planting seeds of doubt in my brain, though!

• Love 1
(edited)

I did not get FJ tonight.

I unequivocally, unambiguously, unmistakably, 

indisputably, incontrovertibly, indubitably, 

undeniably, crystal clearly, plainly, explicitly, 

unreservedly, categorically, outright, downright, 

positively, certainly, emphatically, absolutely

can't stand James.

Better, opus?

very funny lol GIF

Edited by lb60
  • LOL 5
  • Love 4
1 hour ago, catrice2 said:
  Reveal spoiler

Has he actually already given money?  If so, didn't he vaguely allude to the fact that they were "doing alright" so maybe he is giving away money he already had because he knows he will be getting more?

I have no expectation that James will be on for as long as Ken Jennings or even for a long time.  He doesn't have to be for me to be impressed with his play. 

If James keeps winning almost 100k a game, he will catch up to Ken’s 3M in a lot less time than it took Ken.

Brad didn’t earn his 4M in a run of games like Ken. It was from several appearances on tournaments of champions as well. James could beat Brad’s winnings as well.

He may not last 74 days but I’ll bet he will get close to both Ken and Brad in total money won.

• Love 2
4 hours ago, Bliss said:

Non J!-related, but dog-lovers may grant me a pass: I just spent 5 days in the hospital (I'm fine now, but I have a life change upon me - taking better care of my heart) and my golden was allowed to visit me 24 hours/day. Remarkable how times have changed. When I asked why they've loosened their rules, I was told that they figure animals don't bring in any more germs than people do, and in fact their presence may reduce some of the super bugs. The healing aspect of fur babies is another reason, and I can attest to that with several examples; the most recent being my golden's 'chewing' my arthritic thumb (she's very gentle) - I can now move my thumb without pain. It took a few months, but even my doctor is gobsmacked. Phenomenal. Now if only I can get her to chew my hips.

That's so sweet. I love me some doggies. Good luck with your life change.

As for the show tonight, I got nuthin'. Oddly, for FJ I thought Bonn, but didn't know why, so I went with some other random European city. Why did Bonn enter my head?

I noticed that yesterday and today the first DD was in the $1000 clue. I wonder if it was placed there intentionally because that's where James starts.

• LOL 1
  • Love 3
26 minutes ago, lb60 said:

I did not get FJ tonight.

I unequivocally, unambiguously, unmistakably, 

indisputably, incontrovertibly, indubitably, 

undeniably, crystal clearly, plainly, explicitly, 

unreservedly, categorically, outright, downright, 

positively, certainly, emphatically, absolutely

can't stand James.

Better, opus?

very funny lol GIF

I don’t know...seems to me like you’re still kind of on the fence.

• LOL 12
  • Love 2

I'd love to see a game (maybe a 3 day tourney) with James, Ken and Brad, with Alex hosting. There. I said it.

Something tells me it would be epic.

6 minutes ago, SHD said:

I don’t know...seems to me like you’re still kind of on the fence.

LOL! You made me laugh right out loud. Thanks. I needed that!

• Love 4
On 4/29/2019 at 6:31 PM, Arkay said:

Adam Levin, you're my hero.

I’m enjoying James’ run, but I feel so bad for his opponents— much like I did for the contestants who went up against Ken Jennings.  I can only imagine going through all the tryouts and anticipation, and then finally the big day is here, the day you’ve dreamt of for years, and then: You get flattened by a steamroller. It’s gotta be sooo disappointing.

On 4/29/2019 at 8:16 PM, Moose135 said:

During the original Art Fleming hosted show, all three contestants kept the money they won.  When the Trebek version started in 1984, second and third place won trips or other prizes.  That changed in 2002 with the move to $2K and $1K for the runners up.

I remember when the second and third place people got to keep their money, and remember thinking how cheap the show was when they started handing out only a small amount. But, I’m fairly certain I never saw any of the Art Fleming era. So....?

• Love 2
7 hours ago, Bastet said:

I thought they'd always asked contestants not to do that, but there wasn't any penalty for ignoring that instruction.  Does this mean there will now be consequences?  If so, I wonder what the penalty will be. 

I'm under the impression the new rule is that any text is counted as part of the response, so it's not so much a "penalty" for doing it, as it is if you do it anyway your answer is almost certainly wrong. So it's its own disincentive now.

• Love 2

Props to Adam! So close! (my sympathies @lb60) Exciting game for once, which I appreciated. We watched Monday & Tuesday's games back-to-back & the difference is our interest levels was very obvious.  I loved James' Vegas Strong wager. 

Cliff Clavin category for @saber5055

Got FJ for both Monday & Tuesday. 

On 4/29/2019 at 4:50 PM, Katy M said:

I was quite disappointed that it wasn't literally a year's supply for each person, but would be like one box a week or something.

A former co-worker won a year's supply of Chick-fil-A shakes. She got 52 free shake coupons, and gave me a couple, which was very nice of her. I wouldn't even tell my family if I won 52 free Chick-fil-A shakes. Mine, all mine!!!!  

On 4/29/2019 at 7:31 PM, GussieK said:

I feel old knowing no one got Jimmy Stewart. That’s one of my fave movies. 

One of my favorites also. 

On 4/29/2019 at 9:01 PM, saber5055 said:

ETA: Thanks for the FINGER GUNS, @teebax! You rock.

Love it!!!

22 hours ago, Mystery Author said:

The Jimmy Stewart/Judy Garland movie is "In The Good Old Summertime." It also stars S.Z. 'Cuddles' Sakall (remember him?) 

I love him in "Christmas In Connecticut" & "Casablanca". "The Shop Around the Corner" features Frank Morgan aka The Wizard of Oz/Professor Marvel. 

6 hours ago, Bliss said:

While watching the James show (sorry, but it is what it is), and the pup category, my golden retriever perked up and paid MUCH attention. I love how she cocks her head when she sees animals on tv. She even talks to them 🙂 just as she's talking to me now. It's almost as if she knows when I'm writing about her!

Non J!-related, but dog-lovers may grant me a pass: I just spent 5 days in the hospital (I'm fine now, but I have a life change upon me - taking better care of my heart) and my golden was allowed to visit me 24 hours/day. Remarkable how times have changed. When I asked why they've loosened their rules, I was told that they figure animals don't bring in any more germs than people do, and in fact their presence may reduce some of the super bugs. The healing aspect of fur babies is another reason, and I can attest to that with several examples; the most recent being my golden's 'chewing' my arthritic thumb (she's very gentle) - I can now move my thumb without pain. It took a few months, but even my doctor is gobsmacked. Phenomenal. Now if only I can get her to chew my hips.

All the best in your recovery. Give that sweet doggy a big hug from me. She sounds like pure love. 

3 hours ago, Prevailing Wind said:

Speculation:

Reveal spoiler

My impression was that he has been donating pre-Jeopardy. My city's food bank is one of my favorite charities, and I have contributed both money & volunteer time, so I'm glad that James is a supporter as well. 

• LOL 1
  • Love 6

nm = never mind. 

Re FJ, I knew they wanted the capital of Western Germany but Munich got into my head and nothing else could get in - or out.

• Love 3
(edited)
11 hours ago, irisheyes said:

Random thought, but why are there so few elementary teachers in the tournament?  We know lots of stuff too! 😀

Since you teach the stuff James uses for his preparation - you absolutely do! 🙂

Edited by Clanstarling
  • LOL 2
  • Love 3

I thought Bern right away but was sure that was not the answer since Berlin/Bern was the FJ answer a few days ago. I thought this is why I thought of it so it had to be something else. 

• Love 3
11 hours ago, saber5055 said:

Maybe because it was the correct answer? Listen to your Nice Self next time!

Thanks, but seriously, was there a hint in the clue that, uh, clued me in subconsciously?

1 hour ago, Trey said:

Re FJ, I knew they wanted the capital of Western Germany but Munich got into my head and nothing else could get in - or out.

Oh. Maybe I knew that Bonn was the capital of West Germany? Is that it? My brain is a mystery.

8 hours ago, Toothbrush said:

A former co-worker won a year's supply of Chick-fil-A shakes. She got 52 free shake coupons... 

... and a membership to Weight Watchers.

• LOL 6
  • Love 1
(edited)
15 hours ago, Toothbrush said:

I loved James' Vegas Strong wager. 

I missed Monday's game and was distracted during his DD wagers last night.  Did he wager $10,117?  And did he specify "Vegas Strong"?  

Edited by 3 is enough
added an extra zero
(edited)
On 4/30/2019 at 9:13 AM, suebee12 said:

During the Daily Double, Holzhauer was asked how much he’d like to bet, and he said, “Vegas Strong, 10,117. ”  When the number is broken up it reveals 10-1-17.

Here's part of the quote I posted yesterday. @three is enough

Edited by suebee12
  • Love 4

FJ was solvable for me, having lived in West Germany as a kid, while Bonn was still the capital--was very lucky to have been able to travel to Paris and Berlin so I had a feel for the locations

I guess Monday was an aberration and James is back to his normal steamrolling self 

• Love 6

I don't dislike James, and certainly admire his skills, but I'm getting tired of having the same champion, and am bored with runaway games.  I'm not going to stop watching, but if I miss a show, I'm not gonna be upset either.

• Love 9

IMHO, James would beat Brad in any type of game, regular or tournament, although Brad's initial run was during the 5 game cap.  I would also love to see Brad, Ken, and James play each other (with Alex hosting, of course).

• Love 2

Something else I have wondered about Monday's bet (and has been mentioned in several articles) is if James made the number end in 18 for his 18th game? He can do math in head so fast that I could have paper and pencil and still take forever to come up the answer I wanted! His math skills are amazing!!

• Love 1
22 minutes ago, suebee12 said:

Something else I have wondered about Monday's bet (and has been mentioned in several articles) is if James made the number end in 18 for his 18th game? He can do math in head so fast that I could have paper and pencil and still take forever to come up the answer I wanted! His math skills are amazing!!

I imagine gamblers tend to be really good at mental math. If he ever gets in a close game where wagering skills matter, he'll be at an advantage. 

• Love 1
6 minutes ago, Abstract said:

I imagine gamblers tend to be really good at mental math. If he ever gets in a close game where wagering skills matter, he'll be at an advantage. 

He's also got a degree in math.  Some of his gambling was taking advantage of math errors in Baseball futures!?!?!?!

• Love 1
8 minutes ago, DEL901 said:

He's also got a degree in math.  Some of his gambling was taking advantage of math errors in Baseball futures!?!?!?!

Yeah, a degree in math doesn't always mean someone is great at fast mental arithmetic, but obviously it does in this case.

Now I'm starting to worry that he is going to obliterate every record to the point that they won't even bother with all-star battles anymore because he's just that good.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, suebee12 said:

He answered this on his Facebook. It was just a coincidence because he had no idea what Adam would wager. Adam bet everything but $1, so that worked out to $18. 

• Love 1
3 minutes ago, saber5055 said:

LOL, in January, James' brother was elected chair of his local Monday's Jeopardy FJ answer. Not too long after that, Monday's episode was taped.

LOL, I had to read this 5 times before I understood.  I thought "Monday's Jeopardy FJ answer" was some kind of thing.  Like a trivia section of the Newspaper.

• LOL 1
  • Love 1

I am below poverty level yet I support and give to causes I believe in.

THIS!

I give the proceeds from one of my books to Canine Companions and the proceeds from another to IFAW (International Fund for Animal Welfare). I also donate to the ACLU and political candidates. Why? Because it makes ME feel good :)

I'm still enjoying James. Eventually, he has to lose. He'll bet big on a DD and miss. But until he does, I'm rooting for him.

• Love 9
2 hours ago, Abstract said:

Yeah, a degree in math doesn't always mean someone is great at fast mental arithmetic,

That would be me with regards to addition & subtraction, but I can multiply & divide in my head really quickly. Which is great since I deal with statistics & % all day.