Type keyword(s) to search

Jeopardy! Season 35 (2018-2019)

Athena
  • Start Topic

21 minutes ago, GussieK said:

I can’t believe James missed back burner and Iowa.  

I missed Iowa.

I know Vonegut is from Indiana, being from there myself, and just assumed he went to college there too.

I thought it was funny describing Peyton Manning as a former NFL QB who now sells insurance on TV.  I mean its true, but kind of downplays who he is. 

I thought that was the easiest FJ in a long time. 

We know James is married because his wife was on the show one night in the audience, so that was a weird way for Alex to phrase things. 

• Love 5
3 minutes ago, DrSpaceman said:

I thought it was funny describing Peyton Manning as a former NFL QB who now sells insurance on TV.  I mean its true, but kind of downplays who he is. 

And I got it.  Whoo-Hoo!

• Love 1
1 hour ago, DrSpaceman said:

I missed Iowa.

I know Vonegut is from Indiana, being from there myself, and just assumed he went to college there too.

The University of Iowa is famous (well, relatively so) for its creative writing MFA program.  It's been called the best graduate writing program in the US.

• Useful 2
  • Love 3
33 minutes ago, MrAtoz said:

The University of Iowa is famous (well, relatively so) for its creative writing MFA program.  It's been called the best graduate writing program in the US.

The Iowa program is really famous. Plus it was a part of the plot in one season of Girls. Glass Menagerie was super easy because it was one of those clues where they really give away the answer. Items on the shelf etc. 

• Love 3
(edited)
13 hours ago, shlbycindyk said:

I was an Air Force brat until I turned 16.  I went to four countries before I was a year old.  I was shocked to realize I couldn't shop at the commissary or BX after my dad retired and I got married.  So not fair!

I know, right? My folks retired near a military base, so they could still shop at the commissary, but then they closed the base and they had to shop where the rest of us did.

12 hours ago, mostlylurking said:

Plus hearing all his little stories when Alex talks to the contestants has really endeared me to him.

I like those too, but I particularly like when he cuts off Alex to get to the next clue. Not because I hate what Alex says, but because I do like the game to go quickly.

12 hours ago, Quickbeam said:

Oh come on with that FJ.....if I passed away, ten days later I’d still get The Glass Menagerie. My husband (who is only a casual Jeopardy fan) was amused by Jessica flinging her buzzer. I’m thinking she was ringing in too early and then getting locked out.

My husband, who doesn't go to plays, never took more than the intro to lit classes in college (lo those many years ago - he's older than me), got it after some thinking. I can understand how she got to A Dolls House -but it was wrong in so many ways.

12 hours ago, secnarf said:

The rules aren't intended for it to be after Jeopardy has finished airing in all markets (for example, I'm in ET and it airs at 7:30pm for me). It just allows people to know when to avoid the boards and when it is 'safe' to avoid being spoiled. There is a hard cut-off time for spoiler tags to be deemed unnecessary.

I'm on the west coast and I generally don't check the forum until after the show (usually the next day), but when I do, I don't check in after 3:00 pm. I've been spoiled a time or two by not following my rules, but that's on me for breaking them.

11 hours ago, Bastet said:

Or maybe bummed that a woman no longer holds the number two slot for most wins.  I don't know, but I hope this is just a one-night annoyance and I get back to enjoying the game tomorrow.

I don't remember records - Ken I remember more because his reign was seemingly endless. It's not just Jeopardy. I hold an Oscar party every year, and despite that, when put on the spot, weeks later I'll have a hard time naming the winners.

1 hour ago, MrAtoz said:

That's how I got it. It's famous to me for that reason, more in retrospect. I didn't know it existed when I graduated from my English program, and for years later. I've grumbled about it ever since (even though I'd be unlikely to be admitted, being more interested in genre fiction).

Edited by Clanstarling
  • Love 4
(edited)

I forced my son to study in Rome like I did 30 years earlier then I mapped out a European tour after the Rome study was over.  He was so nervous but since then he spent 2 long 5 month trips to Europe going all over to Cyprus, Turkey, Serbia, Malta etc. He just got back from 3 months in South Africa and he is going with my other son to Mexico City next month. He wants to try out for Jeopardy.  I find that most of the J questions I get right are because I've been to the place.  It's so much easier to remember the name of a river, a museum, a historical event when you've been there.  All this traveling is a huge help to James and I'm sure he devours all the local history and geography and politics of every place he goes. It's great his job because he is not tied down to an office,  it sounds like he can make his own hours.

Edited by calpurnia99
  • Love 10

When James missed Iowa and back burner, I thought he was deliberately throwing the game. Then when he saw his opponents didn't take advantage of this gift, he just plowed on ahead. Again, not fun to watch blowout after blowout. And the FJs do seem ridiculously easy lately.

• LOL 1
  • Love 2
12 hours ago, biakbiak said:

I was shocked that someone missed FJ, it seemed teen or college tournament level. 

I didn't have a clue. I think I almost went to see a college performance of it a hundred years ago, but never did.

• LOL 1
  • Love 2

I got The Glass Menagerie, but I think it's one of those situations where the less you know, the better. I saw 1944 American play and the only playwrights even in the ballpark who occur to me right away are Arthur Miller and Tennessee Williams. Fragile and shelf got me to the right answer from there.

I don't like James, exactly, but I accept that he is probably just an awkward person and he's very good at this game.

• Love 5
7 hours ago, Toothbrush said:

Hubby said the same. He was pretty peeved about it actually. I guessed surfing 😂

So did I.

FJ seemed so obvious to me. A fragile character being like items on shelf (or however it was phrased) = A Glass Menagerie.

• Love 5

Silly observation:  The Teacher's Tournament starts on Monday.  I have noticed that other tournaments lately have started on a Wednesday.  I wonder why they choose different start days?  Beginning on a Monday makes more sense to me.

Anyhow, there will be a two week break from James, assuming he wins tonight.  I don't mind him but it will be nice to see some more competitive games for a change.

• Love 4
4 minutes ago, peeayebee said:

So did I.

FJ seemed so obvious to me. A fragile character being like items on shelf (or however it was phrased) = A Glass Menagerie.

Oh, yeah, we also had to read it in high school.  In the 70s.  It's probably no longer a staple. 

• Love 1
33 minutes ago, 3 is enough said:

Silly observation:  The Teacher's Tournament starts on Monday.  I have noticed that other tournaments lately have started on a Wednesday.  I wonder why they choose different start days?  Beginning on a Monday makes more sense to me.

Tournaments usually start on a Monday.  When they start on a Wednesday it is because of something happening on the Monday or Tuesday that would disrupt the airing of Jeopardy!.  Last time I believe it was a State of the Union address or the mid-term elections or something like that.  Or, I could be wrong.

• Love 2
3 hours ago, MrAtoz said:

Yes!

4 hours ago, DrSpaceman said:

I'm a huge Vonnegut fan. He was born in Indiana, yes, but went to college at Cornell, dropped out to enlist in the Army after Pearl Harbor. After he came home, he went to University of Chicago where he got an undergraduate master's degree (yes!) in anthropology. In 1965 he started teaching at University of Iowa, where he stayed for two years. It was there he started writing Slaughterhouse Five.

Now I've forgotten the clue about him!

• LOL 3
  • Love 2
59 minutes ago, 3 is enough said:

Anyhow, there will be a two week break from James, assuming he wins tonight.  I don't mind him but it will be nice to see some more competitive games for a change.

And we get to watch our very own @teebax

54 minutes ago, GussieK said:

Oh, yeah, we also had to read it in high school.  In the 70s.  It's probably no longer a staple. 

I read it in high school in the late 80s, which sometimes seems like yesterday but my class already has a FB page for our 30th reunion 😫

• Love 4
2 minutes ago, Toothbrush said:

And we get to watch our very own @teebax

I read it in high school in the late 80s, which sometimes seems like yesterday but my class already has a FB page for our 30th reunion 😫

Oh child, at least it's not as many years our class has been having reunions. 😉

• LOL 2
  • Love 1
Just now, Clanstarling said:

I feel like I should make a geezer post about having attended the original production of Taming of the Shrew or something. 

• LOL 10
3 hours ago, GussieK said:

The Iowa program is really famous.

Perhaps awkwardly phrased on my part.  I didn't mean any disrespect or disparagement of Iowa by calling it "relatively" famous.  I just meant it's famous as far as academic programs go.  But not necessarily something that would be immediately familiar to the average person on the street.  It's not as famous as, say, Avengers: Endgame or Game of Thrones.

• LOL 3
  • Love 1
(edited)
20 minutes ago, MrAtoz said:

Perhaps awkwardly phrased on my part.  I didn't mean any disrespect or disparagement of Iowa by calling it "relatively" famous.  I just meant it's famous as far as academic programs go.  But not necessarily something that would be immediately familiar to the average person on the street.  It's not as famous as, say, Avengers: Endgame or Game of Thrones.

Yes, I guess more people watch Avengers or GOT than watch Girls. 
But in terms of someone who's a record-setting Jeopardy! champ--should be common knowledge.

Edited by GussieK
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, GussieK said:

I feel like I should make a geezer post about having attended the original production of Taming of the Shrew or something. 

I was sitting right behind you at that premiere.

• LOL 6
(edited)
4 hours ago, Toothbrush said:

I read it in the 60's, and in drama class a couple of students performed part of one act.

4 hours ago, Clanstarling said:

My DD's 30th reunion is this year, and my 50th is this year!

Jane Smiley is also a product of University of Iowa's program. The wiki page lists a number of Pulitzer prize winners who had been in the workshop.

Edited by zoey1996
  • Love 6

I don't remember any book I was required to read in school, from grade school through college. Not a single one. I can't even remember any classes I had in high school. I guess I went since I graduated and went on to college some years later.

• LOL 3
  • Love 3
1 hour ago, saber5055 said:
2 hours ago, GussieK said:

I was sitting right behind you at that premiere

And I was the old lady shushing you both for talking during the performance.

• LOL 8
  • Love 2
(edited)

So, i haven't watched since last spring. It was my mother’s daily show until literally the day she died (she got 3 right that last day, even after stroke) and I just needed to stay away for awhile. 

James would be the kind of player my mother hated. Her general rule was champ gets two days (one, if they hopped around board😁), then it’s time to go!

I find it thrilling to watch James.  To me, he is the jeopardy equivalent of watching Tiger Woods in his prime where he was essentially unstoppable, setting records over and over. Or the 85 Bears, who although they had one loss, were basically no doubters for the Super Bowl win that year.  It is fun to watch greatness in a given field!

Also, tip of the cap to him for generating enough press to pull me back in.

Edited by pennben
Cleanup.
  • Love 22
(edited)
4 hours ago, saber5055 said:

I don't remember any book I was required to read in school, from grade school through college. Not a single one. I can't even remember any classes I had in high school. I guess I went since I graduated and went on to college some years later.

Here too.  I blame the then-prohibited recreational herb.

Edited by SuprSuprElevated
  • LOL 2
  • Love 1

Obscure Iowa writing reference - 

Melissa McCarthy's Molly Flynn is accepted to an elite 8-week writer's workshop in "Iowa", though the university isn't specifically referenced that I remember.

Season four of "Mike & Molly"

• Love 4

I need that hug emoji for @pennben. Your mother sounds wonderful, a skilled Jeopardy player and a wise person. You were lucky to grow up under her watch. I'm glad you are back, I hope the show brings good memories.

15 minutes ago, SuprSuprElevated said:

Melissa McCarthy's Molly Flynn is accepted to an elite 8-week writer's workshop in "Iowa", though the university isn't specifically referenced that I remember.

If that was a workshop AT Iowa, then indeed the specific university was referenced since University of Iowa in Iowa City is just called "Iowa" and Iowa State at Ames is, well, Iowa State. I know because posters here have kicked my butt about that exact topic more than once.

• Love 2

I got FJ.  And camels.  

When I went to Australia, the only two animals I saw in the wild were rabbits and camels.  Well, besides birds and lziards and stuff.  Obviously both were imported and got out of control. Anyway, they said they exported the camels and their main place was the US.  Still not sure where all these camels are.

• Love 2

Today's a day when I wish I'd been keeping score at home, I was running categories all over the place (literature, begin and end with "W", classical dance, TV couples). Missed FJ, though. 

I have been on a combination of James-induced high and exercise endorphins these last couple of weeks, it's made me a little hyper. Time to calm down a notch or three! Looking forward to cheering on @teebax next week, though. 

• LOL 2
  • Love 1
11 minutes ago, Browncoat said:

I could have sat here all night and not ever come up with FJ. 

Me too. Mostly because I didn’t think Crowdfunding was a thing back in 2008, seems like a more recent term. So even if the term had come to mind, I would have dismissed it. 

• Love 7

That question about the attorney general was a lot easier for me today than it would have been back on the day they taped the episode.

• Useful 1
  • LOL 8
  • Love 11
8 hours ago, bad things are bad said:

I got the right playwright but the wrong play, I thought of Blanche Dubois as the fragile character 😞

Me too! Was pretty sure it was wrong, but that was all I could think of as well.

And for today, the best I could come up with was podcasting, thinking that people who do it can end up making some amount of money from it. Crowdfunding seems obvious in retrospect, but FJ often does 😉

At least today I can blame all the wine I drank this evening after a much more eventful day at work than I had been hoping for.

• Love 3
Just now, kathyk2 said:

Am I the only one who yelled the Spanish Inquision after the nobody expects category?

Nope! 

• Love 5
(edited)

I lost today's game by one point, although I'm missing 10 clues I didn't hear while doing something else. Not that it matters.

Color me irritated at Treck's READING reading reading of the clue for echocardiogram.

James went up several points on my Good For You Scale when he flashed the Vulcan salutation after giving the answer of Leonard Nimoy. May you live long and prosper Mr. Holzhauer.

Pete gets first choice in DJ and picks the 400 clue. *sigh* These players are suppose to be smart. WTH.

Camel was a TS. Of course. Because it's an animal. Aardvark.

The Berghoff's creamed spinach being a TS totally tossed me. I've eaten there multiple times and had no clue it specialized in creamed spinach. So I checked out its menu. Creamed spinach is one of eight side dishes in the Berghoff Café where it is merely listed as "creamed spinach" while chips are "Berghoff seasoned chips." It does not come with any of the cafe meals. In the Berghoff Restaurant, out of 9 apps, 10 salads, 11 sandwiches and 20 entrees, only one entree comes with creamed spinach, the Chicken Schnitzel. Creamed spinach is just one of 10 sides available.

So, while "creamed spinach" answered the clue, adding "The Berghoff Restaurant" to it is what made it a TS. People go to the Berghoff for German food and beer, NOT creamed spinach.

Side note: The Berghoff has a professional wait staff. When I went with three other people, our waiter, an older gentleman complete with white napkin over one arm, took our entire order without writing a single thing down, and delivered an excellent meal to each of us, with no questions or errors. Memorable.

Edited by saber5055
  • Love 6
13 hours ago, Abstract said:

Sorry @lb60 I don't think he's leaving anytime soon.

lalalalalalalala!

I can't hear you.

2 hours ago, pennben said:

James would be the kind of player my mother hated.

I think I would have loved your mom. I'm sorry for your loss.

I did not get FJ.

I can't stand James.

We now enter the two week James free Jeopardy zone.

snow day winter GIF by Disney

Go, teebax

Go, teebax!

• LOL 5
  • Love 7
(edited)
2 hours ago, SuprSuprElevated said:

Obscure Iowa writing reference - 

Season four of "Mike & Molly"

Yes!  I remember that!

Also, I knew camel because of "Camel Train" 1957 Death Valley Days, as well as "The Red Ghost of Eagle Creek," also Death Valley Days, 1963.  Mr. Zoey and I watch Westerns reruns often.

Edited by zoey1996
  • Love 3
(edited)
3 hours ago, pennben said:

So, i haven't watched since last spring. It was my mother’s daily show until literally the day she died (she got 3 right that last day, even after stroke) and I just needed to stay away for awhile. 

James would be the kind of player my mother hated. Her general rule was champ gets two days (one, if they hopped around board😁), then it’s time to go!

I find it thrilling to watch James.  To me, he is the jeopardy equivalent of watching Tiger Woods in his prime where he was essentially unstoppable, setting records over and over. Or the 85 Bears, who although they had one loss, were basically no doubters for the Super Bowl win that year.  It is fun to watch greatness in a given field!

Also, tip of the cap to him for generating enough press to pull me back in.

Pennben, the last memory I have of my mom was her on oxygen, in a hospital bed, shouting out the Jeopardy answers before any family members or the nurses could - or the contestants.  When my hubby mentioned afterwards that Mom was 97, the nurses had to check the chart - they were sure she was much younger.

She died in her sleep the next day, January 20, 2018.  We'd always talk about Jeopardy on the phone, and her other favorite show, American Ninja Warrior.  After hearing James say today what a huge fan he is, I think my Mom would have loved this guy!

Edited by EllenB
  • Love 16

Creamed spinach surprised me as a TS, because I can’t think of another spinach dish that would be made in that quantity/vessel.  I was also surprised no one at least guessed Johannesburg.  Same with camel, since the clue spotted them pack animal.

I hurt my eyes rolling them when James imitated streaking (well, minus the nudity, thank goodness); I can just imagine the "oh no, he didn't" reactions on set when he headed out of frame.  The Vulcan salute made me laugh (even though I don't watch Star Trek), though, so go figure.  My fatigue with runaway games that set in last night was still in effect tonight, so hopefully after the Teacher's Tournament, I'll be ready to pick up with James again; I don't want to not enjoy this show!

I ran the first round, which I wouldn’t have predicted given the presence of a sci-fi category.  I did pretty well in DJ, too, and got FJ, so it was a good game for me.  (Like others have said, I didn’t think the term crowdfunding went that far back, but I couldn’t come up with anything else that fit the description, so I stuck with it.)

• Love 3
(edited)

I didn't like his fake-streaking either. Not that I wanted real streaking, just... don't try to be funny. I think the longer players play, the more likely they are to "act up."

1 hour ago, secnarf said:

At least today I can blame all the wine I drank this evening after a much more eventful day at work than I had been hoping for.

Cool! I'll claim that excuse, too!

I did get creamed (spinach) and nonsense. When the category with W starting and ending a word was announced, "widow" came to mind immediately. Of course it never came up.

I had no idea for FJ. Just to say something I said Facebooking, though it didn't fit the clue.

3 minutes ago, Bastet said:

I was also surprised no one at least guessed Johannesburg.

It came to my mind, but not firmly enuf to say it.

For the animal, I first said elephant. After that, I figured it was camel, but I'd already used my guess.

Edited by peeayebee
  • Love 2