Type keyword(s) to search

Jeopardy! Season 35 (2018-2019)

Athena
  • Start Topic

I rebuilt my carburetor once, back when autos had them.

Definitely before almost all contestant's time 🙂 (not mine, my first car had an unfortunate tendency to flood so I carried a big screwdriver to prop the butterfly valve open!)

I didn't realize that "a little extra" was a thing. We were using the phrase at work in the 70s to signify someone who was superfluous or useless (not the current definition, apparently) 

• Love 2

I rebuilt my carburetor once, back when autos had them.

Definitely before almost all contestant's time 🙂 (not mine, my first car had an unfortunate tendency to flood so I carried a big screwdriver to prop the butterfly valve open!)

I didn't realize that "a little extra" was a thing. We were using the phrase at work in the 70s to signify someone who was superfluous or useless (not the current definition, apparently) 

44 minutes ago, Katy M said:

I would like the trips (which I realize would cost me a crapload in taxes, but as I really love to travel, I would just think of it as discounted travel)

I would like to win trips too, but the ones on games shows are so inflated. Like a trip to Phoenix is priced at $25,000 or some crazy amount. And one would have to pay taxes on $25,000, even if you could do the same trip to Phoenix for less than $1,200. (I picked rando numbers for those prices just as an example.)

2 minutes ago, bad things are bad said:

I carried a big screwdriver to prop the butterfly valve open!

As did I! And I knew how to start my car that way if it got pokey about it. (Oldsmobile 442, quite the dude magnet back in the day.)

• Love 2
40 minutes ago, saber5055 said:

Oldsmobile 442, quite the dude magnet back in the day.

Bet those numbers.

Alex: "Why $442"

Saber5055: "Dude magnet...."

Edited by opus
  • LOL 6
  • Love 2
1 hour ago, saber5055 said:

I would like to win trips too, but the ones on games shows are so inflated. Like a trip to Phoenix is priced at $25,000 or some crazy amount. And one would have to pay taxes on $25,000, even if you could do the same trip to Phoenix for less than $1,200. (I picked rando numbers for those prices just as an example.)

That's why I would like the 24-48 hours to decide. So, I could research prices and see if it makes sense.

Does anybody know if you get a grace period on prizes.  The other thing you can do is have all prizes donated directly to a non-profit.  Then, they don't have to pay taxes on it and can probably sell it for at least some amount of cash.  True, you're still not getting it, but someone's benefitting.

One of my students had a teammate who was on The Price is Right. I don't think he was in (or won) the showcase, but he did get up on stage & I think won his game. My student said that he couldn't accept any of the prizes, because he has a student/athlete & it would jeopardize ... something (scholarship? amateur status?)

• Love 1

Friday's game James didn't get any DD questions.  I guess the competition is now using his strategy.  That said, he did win over $49,000.

Also, the Jeopardy website now has an official "James Tracker" page.  No spoilers on the page, but a summary.  E.g. He's only missed 1 final jeopardy and he answered 37/40 DDs correctly.

• Love 1
5 hours ago, Katy M said:

When I was in college, the second place prize was usually a trip and third place would be something like the home game.  I was watching with a friend (before the prizes were revealed) one night and she said 2nd and 3rd place prizes suck.  The prizes were revealed and I said something like a trip was nice.  She said "well, the other one."  And I said "they lost, what do you want?"  No real point to that story except "losers" can't expect much in the way of prizes:)

Lol I do remember the home version of games being given out as loser prizes.  Also I remember when the prizes would be boxes of “Rice-a-Roni, the San Francisco treat”. I can still hear the jingle but I forget which show did that.  Can you imagine taking off of work, paying for your flights and hotels and expensive big city meals, and getting Rice-a-Roni as a prize?  Then again this was back in the days when winners won real prizes and people who did not win did not.  Good incentive to try hard!

• LOL 1
  • Love 3
7 minutes ago, Rbonnie said:

Lol I do remember the home version of games being given out as loser prizes.  Also I remember when the prizes would be boxes of “Rice-a-Roni, the San Francisco treat”. I can still hear the jingle but I forget which show did that.  Can you imagine taking off of work, paying for your flights and hotels and expensive big city meals, and getting Rice-a-Roni as a prize?  Then again this was back in the days when winners won real prizes and people who did not win did not.  Good incentive to try hard!

They did the Rice a Roni thing on quite a few shows.  Jeopardy included.  I don't like rice, so I would be especially disappointed.  Maybe Mac & Cheese.  Or frozen pizza of some variety.  I do remember asking my mom how they knew how much Rice a Roni each winner would eat in a year.  I was quite disappointed that it wasn't literally a year's supply for each person, but would be like one box a week or something.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, Katy M said:

They did the Rice a Roni thing on quite a few shows.  Jeopardy included.  I don't like rice, so I would be especially disappointed.  Maybe Mac & Cheese.  Or frozen pizza of some variety.  I do remember asking my mom how they knew how much Rice a Roni each winner would eat in a year.  I was quite disappointed that it wasn't literally a year's supply for each person, but would be like one box a week or something.

Do you remember when they gave Turtle Wax as the prize?  LOL

• Love 4

Yes, it was a great game, and Adam seemed like such a nice modest man, if James must lose he would have been a good man to lose to.

I was pleased to get one they all missed - I knew  it was Jimmy Stewart in "Shop Around the Corner."

• Love 8
1 hour ago, Rbonnie said:

I remember that, too! Thanks for the nostalgic reminder. I may be the only one on Earth, but I'd be very pleased to get a year's worth of Rice-a-Roni, as I'm a carboholic who eats rice daily. 

• Love 4

After watching Endgame and Game of Thrones both in one day, I am so glad that James won preventing a misery trifecta!! James looks tired.  If they do tape several episodes a day that does not seem fair to whomever is champion because the challengers are always fresh. 

RIP  Lady Lyanna....it is going to take me a while to get over that one! 

29 minutes ago, opus said:

So apparently 666 can’t be a wager, but it can be a correct response.

Is there really a rule that can't be a wager?  

At least that was a real game.  That other guy should feel pretty proud of making James at least sweat.

I got FJ.  I did not get the DD James missed. Anatomy is just geography of the body, so I'm no good at it:)

• Love 2
27 minutes ago, Arkay said:

I remember that, too! Thanks for the nostalgic reminder. I may be the only one on Earth, but I'd be very pleased to get a year's worth of Rice-a-Roni, as I'm a carboholic who eats rice daily. 

Lol I enjoy rice somewhat but I’m not really into carbs.  Now, if I won a year’s worth of cheese, that would make me happy. Only thing better would be a lifetime supply!

• Love 4
36 minutes ago, Arkay said:

Adam Levin, you're my hero.

In the end it didn't matter, but you gave James quite the scare, and you gave the audience an exciting and suspenseful game for the first time in ages. You also amassed a final total that in the pre-James era would have been considered phenomenal. 

Agree 100 percent. Well said!

Adam did a great job and I would have been ok  if he won although I’m still enjoying the James ride quite a bit. But Adam is the type of player I normally enjoy.  Smart, normal with the buzzer, quick on the selections, pleasant, not afraid of a big DD wager.  If someone like that beats James I’ll be ok with it. Just not ready yet 

• Love 9
23 minutes ago, Arkay said:

2 hours ago, Katy M said:

I'm sure The Price is Right gave Rice-a-Roni, and maybe Concentration also. Nice article here about "lifetime supply" winners. One anecdote mentions Rice-a-Roni. And now I'm flashing back to Seinfeld and Kramer being awarded a lifetime supply of coffee after winning a lawsuit against a coffee shop for scalding him. But wasn't there a time when Jeopardy! also allowed second and third place contestants to keep the dollar value of their winnings?

10 minutes ago, catrice2 said:

James looks tired.  If they do tape several episodes a day that does not seem fair to whomever is champion because the challengers are always fresh. 

I agree he seems to be getting tired. The end of his reign may be near. At least today's game was actually competitive! As to whether it's unfair--I think the fact that the champ is more experienced with the buzzer offsets the fatigue of playing multiple games in a row.

• Love 5
1 minute ago, GreekGeek said:

But wasn't there a time when Jeopardy! also allowed second and third place contestants to keep the dollar value of their winnings?

I don't think so.

• Love 1

I almost gave up rooting for anyone when Jimmy Stewart was a TS.  That ought to be illegal.

I also got the Abraham Lincoln Battalion.  My dad gave serious thought to joining it in his late teens but had to stay home to help support his family when my grandfather became terminally ill.

Good game and it was good to see a competitive one.

I now have the Rice-a-Roni jingle caught in my head.

Edited by Grundoon59
The San Francisco treat
  • Love 7
3 minutes ago, Grundoon59 said:

I almost gave up rooting for anyone when Jimmy Stewart was a TS.  That ought to be illegal.

I also got the Abraham Lincoln Battalion.  My dad gave serious thought to joining it in his late teens but had to stay home to help support his family when my grandfather became terminally ill.

Good game and it was good to see a competitive one.

I know have the Rice-a-Roni jingle caught in my head.

Me too...the San Franciso treat!

• LOL 1
  • Love 3
20 minutes ago, Rbonnie said:

Agree 100 percent. Well said!

Adam did a great job and I would have been ok  if he won although I’m still enjoying the James ride quite a bit. But Adam is the type of player I normally enjoy.  Smart, normal with the buzzer, quick on the selections, pleasant, not afraid of a big DD wager.  If someone like that beats James I’ll be ok with it. Just not ready yet 

Back in the Ken Jennings days, they started putting up better players as time went on, as I recall. 

I feel old knowing no one got Jimmy Stewart. That’s one of my fave movies. 

Edited by GussieK
  • Love 3

“I'm sure The Price is Right gave Rice-a-Roni, and maybe Concentration also. Nice article here about "lifetime supply" winners.”

Sorry I screwed up the quote but that is the BEST article. I grew up in NJ in the 60s when a lot of game shows were still in NY. We had neighbors with a sauna in the back yard (exotic at the time) from some show. 

I really liked Adam, he mastered the buzzer quickly. 

• Love 3
40 minutes ago, catrice2 said:

If they do tape several episodes a day that does not seem fair to whomever is champion because the challengers are always fresh.

Five shows are taped in one day, two days in a row, so 10 episodes are played per week over two days. While challengers might be "fresh," the champion has the advantage of knowing how to use the buzzer and is familiar with the cadence of Trebek's reading and how to time the lights so he/she can buzz in first.

The champ is also more comfortable being in a teevee studio with cameras in his/her face so that Deer In Headlights feeling has (mostly) gone away.

26 minutes ago, GreekGeek said:

But wasn't there a time when Jeopardy! also allowed second and third place contestants to keep the dollar value of their winnings?

No, and for this reason I copied from TheJeopardyFan.com:

"This is the kind of game that people use to make an argument that runners-up should also receive their final score as prize money. What these people don’t realize is that the fact that the scores are points and not money until the game is won is the very reason why people are able to play the game as aggressively as they are. If all players were always in jeopardy of losing actual money if they were incorrect in Final Jeopardy or on Daily Doubles, do you actually think most players would be willing to bet nearly $27,000 in this spot? You’d see significantly more $0 wagers, and the game would actually be boring."

This is also from TJF:

"Adam’s $53,999 is the highest-ever regular-play non-winning score in the history of the show, and is the 21st-highest final score of all time."

Note that Adam was in "contestant's row" at last week's taping so watched James play; therefore, he was familiar with his style and game play which is why he was able to give him a good run for it.

Edited by saber5055
  • Useful 3
  • Love 8
12 minutes ago, GussieK said:

I feel old knowing no one got Jimmy Stewart. That’s one of my fave movies. 

I said Cary Grant. So I’m old AND stupid.

• LOL 4

After reading the spoilers, I was really surprised when I saw Adam. I was not expecting him to be an older guy. Wow, he played a killer game and came SO close!

(I've read that top Jeopardy players tend to be in their 30s. Even Ken Jennings said in an interview recently that he would be at a disadvantage against James due to his age.)

Edited because I feel really bad. I just read an interview with Adam and he was born in 1972, which means he can't be over 47, which is not old. Sorry Adam, wherever you are.

Edited by Abstract
  • LOL 2
  • Love 1
5 minutes ago, Abstract said:

After reading the spoilers, I was really surprised when I saw Adam. I was not expecting him to be an older guy. Wow, he played a killer game and came SO close!

(I've read that top Jeopardy players tend to be in their 30s. Even Ken Jennings said in an interview recently that he would be at a disadvantage against James due to his age.)

Where are the spoilers?  I don’t really want to read them, but I’m curious. 

20 minutes ago, saber5055 said:

This is also from TJF:

"Adam’s $53,999 is the highest-ever regular-play non-winning score in the history of the show, and is the 21st-highest final score of all time."

Wow! That's impressive.

• Love 3

Adam was nice...good player, nothing to dislike. But then my nephew said "He (James) can't get beat by that boring old square"!  And I said, "You're right"!  I also want him to hang in there long enough to beat the record of that other bore, Julia (sorry, Julia lovers)

• Love 2
Just now, Kimmmmmm said:

Adam was nice...good player, nothing to dislike. But then my nephew said "He (James) can't get beat by that boring old square"!  And I said, "You're right"!  I also want him to hang in there long enough to beat the record of that other bore, Julia (sorry, Julia lovers)

Yeah, I want him to beat Julia too. I was a fan during her original run. You know, girl power and all that, plus she seems like someone it would be cool to be friends with (hence her appearance in my dream). But her appearances in tournaments have not met expectations, and I don't classify her as a superstar. 

• Love 3
34 minutes ago, saber5055 said:

No, and for this reason I copied from TheJeopardyFan.com:

"This is the kind of game that people use to make an argument that runners-up should also receive their final score as prize money. What these people don’t realize is that the fact that the scores are points and not money until the game is won is the very reason why people are able to play the game as aggressively as they are. If all players were always in jeopardy of losing actual money if they were incorrect in Final Jeopardy or on Daily Doubles, do you actually think most players would be willing to bet nearly $27,000 in this spot? You’d see significantly more $0 wagers, and the game would actually be boring."

I found this on a Mental Floss article on the history of J!:

Runners-up would no longer be allowed to keep their winnings. The original show proved that players sometimes wanted just enough to make a specific purchase and would stop buzzing in once they met their goal. (One contestant needed money for an engagement ring and stood silent as soon as he earned enough.) Now, players would be tempted to wager on Final Jeopardy, ensuring the entire game would remain suspenseful.

So, while TheJeopardyFan.com is correct about why runners up aren't allowed to keep the money, the above shows that this wasn't always the case. I think the rule changed with the reboot in the 80's.

Edited by GreekGeek
  • Useful 1
  • Love 1

During the original Art Fleming hosted show, all three contestants kept the money they won.  When the Trebek version started in 1984, second and third place won trips or other prizes.  That changed in 2002 with the move to $2K and $1K for the runners up.

• Useful 1
  • Love 2

I won today's game by 20 points, a vast improvement over last week, which means either the board was easier today or I will eventually be able to leave my death bed. Take your pick.

Trebek corrects the pronunciation of Guernica. *sigh*

Jasmine gets a GFY. It's been a while since we had a drink.

I did not care for Trebek doing his Borat impression to help players come up with the Sacha Baron Cohen answer.

I surprised myself getting the DD answer of Beowulf, even though James also got it. It was strictly a guess, grabbed it out of the air as it flew by.

I missed hearing the Jimmy Stewart question but reading here, I wouldn't have gotten it. I've never heard of that movie, and I'm a fan of old movies. Go figure.

For FJ all I could come up with was DeMolay, and I was trying to think of that high school group/club, where the kids make up a business and sell things, as my second answer. I still can't come up with that name. Too funny the answer was the very simple Chamber of Commerce. Duh!

• LOL 1
  • Love 1
3 minutes ago, saber5055 said:

I was trying to think of that high school group/club, where the kids make up a business and sell things, as my second answer.

Junior Achievement?

Any New England viewers want to help treat Adam to lunch?

• Useful 1
  • Love 2
1 hour ago, Grundoon59 said:

I was disappointed in the Jimmy Stewart miss too. 

I worked for a gentleman who fought in Spain, except that he referred to it as the Abraham Lincoln Brigade, not Battalion.  He wrote about his experiences and hoped to publish, but his papers ended up in a University archive.  Which is sad -- I'd have liked to read what he wrote.  So I got that one, and was surprised that it was a TS.

• Love 3
11 minutes ago, saber5055 said:

But thank you very much for giving my brain cells a break

You're an inch or two taller than I am, so maybe your brain cells were not getting enough oxygen at that great altitude.  Hmm, is that why Jeopardy uses platforms to make contestants the same height?

• LOL 1

AuntiePam - I agree I have heard Brigade more than Battalion but apparently both are correct.  I also agree that it would have been interesting to read the gentleman's experiences.  

I enjoyed the whole category about the Spanish Civil War - Guernica has always been one of my favorite paintings.  I can still picture where it used to hang at the Museum of Modern Art in New York.

• Love 3
10 minutes ago, Driad said:

maybe your brain cells were not getting enough oxygen at that great altitude.

Lack of oxygen is a common problem with me. Do people still ask, "How's the air up there?"

• LOL 1

I had just finished telling my mom literally seconds before about how James calls himself a "connoisseur of low culture" when he spits out that response of Guernica. Whatever, the guy knows everything!

• Love 3

OH WOW! I just went to the Jeopardy website and the Teacher's Tournament is a promo at the top of the page, including a pic of all the teachers with our @teebax right there in the front row! SO EXCITING!

teachers.thumb.png.d6f77caa064647a0103f3237337020d2.png

ETA: Thanks for the FINGER GUNS, @teebax! You rock.

Edited by saber5055
  • Love 13