Type keyword(s) to search

Jeopardy! Season 35 (2018-2019)

Athena
  • Start Topic

2 hours ago, Arkay said:

Adam Levin, you're my hero.

In the end it didn't matter, but you gave James quite the scare, and you gave the audience an exciting and suspenseful game for the first time in ages. You also amassed a final total that in the pre-James era would have been considered phenomenal. 

I think he deserves some sort of wild card in the ToC. James winning so often is keeping the number of 5 day champions down.  Dies anyone recall the policy for that during the Jennings run?

Edited by DrScottie
  • Love 8

The Jimmy Stewart clue: "The Shop Around the Corner" has been re-made many times. Off the top of my head, there's the Judy Garland/Van Johnson film (I'll have to go to imdb to get the title.) The B'way musical "She Loves Me" with Barbara Cook & Jack Cassidy, "You've Got Mail" with Hanks/Ryan. 

Oh, wait... here's part of the WikiPedia entry: "The musical is the third adaptation of the 1937 play Parfumerie by Hungarian playwright Miklós László, following the 1940 James Stewart-Margaret Sullavan film The Shop Around the Corner and the 1949 Judy Garland-Van Johnson musical version In the Good Old Summertime. It surfaced again in 1998 as the Tom Hanks-Meg Ryan feature You've Got Mail. The plot revolves around Budapest shop employees Georg Nowack and Amalia Balash who, despite being consistently at odds with each other at work, are unaware that each is the other's secret pen pal met through lonely-hearts ads."

Edited by Prevailing Wind
  • Useful 1
  • Love 2
10 minutes ago, DrScottie said:

I think he deserves some sort of wild card in the ToC. James winning so often is keeping the number of 5 day champions down.  Dies anyone recall the policy for that during the Jennings run?

I think that in place of the usual roundup of big winners from the past season, they did the Ultimate Tournament of Champions. According to Wikipedia:

The Jeopardy! Ultimate Tournament of Champions was a special 15-week single-elimination tournament that aired during the 21st season of the syndicated game show Jeopardy! that began airing on February 9, 2005 and concluded on May 25, 2005, covering 76 shows in total.[1] The tournament involved 145 contestants, all of whom were winners of past tournaments or past five-time champions, and was designed to produce two contestants who would face off in a three-game, cumulative-score final against legendary Jeopardy!champion Ken Jennings

Brad Rutter defeated Jennings in that one.

• Love 2
28 minutes ago, Abstract said:

I had just finished telling my mom literally seconds before about how James calls himself a "connoisseur of low culture" when he spits out that response of Guernica. Whatever, the guy knows everything!

I believe Adam got Guernica.

On a different subject, I wonder what @lb60 thinks of James.

• LOL 9

I took Thursday and Friday off to watch the NFL draft, and had missed almost all of the week prior, so I’m happy to be back to my J! routine this week.

Good for Adam going for it with his DD bet and making it a game, and then doing the same with his FJ bet – he came so close, and I liked what we saw of James’s reaction to really being challenged for the first time.  Anyone who makes it on the show can go home proud regardless of what place she/he winds up in, but Adam really can.

FJ was an instaget, and there seem to have been more of those than usual for me lately.

“Oh, the liver” when James heard the correct answer of hepatic was funny.

I knew Jimmy Stewart was going to be a TS, but it was still a bit of a bummer.

• Love 6
14 minutes ago, Prevailing Wind said:

The Jimmy Stewart clue: "The Shop Around the Corner" has been re-made many times. Off the top of my head, there's the Judy Garland/Van Johnson film (I'll have to go to imdb to get the title.) The B'way musical "She Loves Me" with Barbara Cook & Jack Cassidy, "You've Got Mail" with Hanks/Ryan. 

I only partly heard the clue and thought "You've Got Mail." Then the answer was Jimmy Stewart and I got rather confused. I guess I was the only one. Well, besides the three players.

• Love 2
6 minutes ago, dcalley said:

Rule change alert!

James's Facebook: "Tragic news! The end of a Jeopardy era is upon us on Monday...as the show's producers have informed me that they're no longer allowing personal messages in Final Jeopardy. No more shout outs!"

So James really is a game changer.

• LOL 9
  • Love 7
12 minutes ago, dcalley said:

Rule change alert!

James's Facebook: "Tragic news! The end of a Jeopardy era is upon us on Monday...as the show's producers have informed me that they're no longer allowing personal messages in Final Jeopardy. No more shout outs!" 

Ouch.

• Love 2
3 hours ago, JudyObscure said:

I was pleased to get one they all missed - I knew  it was Jimmy Stewart in "Shop Around the Corner."

That was the only TS I got.

1 hour ago, saber5055 said:

I did not care for Trebek doing his Borat impression to help players come up with the Sacha Baron Cohen answer.

Amazingly, I didn't notice an accent.

1 hour ago, Driad said:

Junior Achievement?

For a second I was trying to think of Junior League, but then I said, "Oh! It's Chamber of Commerce!"

Great game. That was pretty exciting.

• Love 2

OOPS. I meant the Van Johnson/Judy Garland, not James Stewart's Shop Around the Corner <thunking head on keyboard>

In Good Old Summertime Judy sings a Christmas song ("Merry Christmas"?) that's not as popular as "Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas" but really pretty.

Random early-morning musings:

I can't help now but laugh over the fact that the whole time we (and Jeopardy fans everywhere) were watching the All-Star tournament and arguing over who is the true GOAT of Jeopardy, this kid from Vegas was taping shows and running roughshod over nearly every record the All-Stars had set.

Jeopardy Fan #1: Team Ken!

Jeopardy Fan #2: Team Brad!

James: Hold my beer.

• LOL 11
  • Love 8
8 hours ago, Brookside said:

I said Bed and Breakfast for the lodgings clue.  Do you think they would have accepted it?

I said that, too, but no, because it was asking for the wording in a bill or a law or something specific.  

• Love 4

Well he gave him a good challenge, the closest one yet.  Almost did it. 

This is the scenario where he will eventually get beat though I think.  The first round DD does not make a huge difference, most of the time he doesn't have enough or there is not enough at risk to change the game

But the two second round DDs are the key.

Either he (James) gets one and misses and someone else gets one and bets big and gets it OR

Someone else gets both of them, bets big and gets them correct

Of course they also have to be good enough to not necessarily beat him in the other questions but at least keep it close.

Or the classic scenario where someone at least gets half his total, they get FJ and he misses it, but I just don't see that happening.  Has James missed any FJ?  It can't be many, maybe one or two.  He is at like 90% or so on those I believe.  Any one he would miss I would be surprised someone else would know it

Edited by DrSpaceman
  • Love 3

@saber5055, when I saw the Pup Culture category, I immediately thought of you.  Then the $200 clue asked about the group that includes Pomeranian, Japanese Chin, and Maltese!  We've had Japanese Chin since about 1991, every one of them were rescues.  Currently have only three, but we've had as many as seven including a foster.

Really enjoyed the competitive game last night.  So close!

• Love 4
10 hours ago, dcalley said:

Rule change alert!

I got mine in just in time then! I did a shout out to my students since the show wouldn't publicize our school names. 

• Love 17

James has really grown on me.  I loved his reactions to Adam last night, and his reaction at the end.  He did not assume he was going to win.  It was good to see him nervous!  I'm amazed by his knowledge and love his humbleness and even his smile seems to have gotten a little more natural.

• Love 13
12 hours ago, saber5055 said:

I

For FJ all I could come up with was DeMolay, and I was trying to think of that high school group/club, where the kids make up a business and sell things, as my second answer. I still can't come up with that name. Too funny the answer was the very simple Chamber of Commerce. Duh!

In my High School it was the Deca Club,

11 hours ago, dcalley said:

Rule change alert!

Good, it's annoying.

• Love 5

I noticed that James DD bet was "Vegas Strong" but didn't realize exactly what he meant....DUH, now I know!

" On Monday's episode of 'Jeopardy!' Las Vegas local James Holzhauer paid tribute to the victims of 1 October when he wagered some of his winnings.

During the Daily Double, Holzhauer was asked how much he’d like to bet, and he said, “Vegas Strong, 10,117. ”  When the number is broken up it reveals 10-1-17.

The deadly shooting at the Route 91 Harvest Festival that killed 58 people and wounded more than 800 others occurred on Oct.1, 2017. It was the deadliest mass shooting in modern U.S. history.

Holzhauer has set and broken numerous records in his 18-day run on the show.  On Monday, Holzhauer ended with a daily total of $54,017. Holzhauer's overall winnings now stand at $1,329,604."

Edited by suebee12
  • Useful 2
  • Love 9
1 hour ago, teebax said:

I got mine in just in time then! I did a shout out to my students since the show wouldn't publicize our school names. 

I'm glad you got your shoutout in in time, but I'm glad the show is doing away with this. Sometimes it gets too cutesy or tries too hard to be clever.

• Love 7
12 hours ago, Abstract said:

Oops. Well, it was something else rather highbrow that I didn't know.

I wouldn't have known Guernica either, except that a copy hung on the wall of an office where I used to work.  It was almost full-size -- huge. 

Back in the 70's (and maybe today), you could check out art -- mounted posters/reproductions -- from the Seattle Public Library. 

Count me in as another viewer who's glad they're doing away with the shout-outs.  They hadn't become political yet, but that day was probably coming.

• Love 2
16 hours ago, GreekGeek said:

I'm sure The Price is Right gave Rice-a-Roni, and maybe Concentration also. Nice article here about "lifetime supply" winners. One anecdote mentions Rice-a-Roni. And now I'm flashing back to Seinfeld and Kramer being awarded a lifetime supply of coffee after winning a lawsuit against a coffee shop for scalding him. But wasn't there a time when Jeopardy! also allowed second and third place contestants to keep the dollar value of their winnings?

I agree he seems to be getting tired. The end of his reign may be near. At least today's game was actually competitive! As to whether it's unfair--I think the fact that the champ is more experienced with the buzzer offsets the fatigue of playing multiple games in a row.

At some point, for game shows in general, it became law that you could get cash instead of the non cash prize. It may have been a Californian law. I always said I would take the cash, because it was easier to pay the taxes. 

14 hours ago, AuntiePam said:

I was disappointed in the Jimmy Stewart miss too. 

I worked for a gentleman who fought in Spain, except that he referred to it as the Abraham Lincoln Brigade, not Battalion.  He wrote about his experiences and hoped to publish, but his papers ended up in a University archive.  Which is sad -- I'd have liked to read what he wrote.  So I got that one, and was surprised that it was a TS.

I have always heard it as brigade too.

4 hours ago, zoey1996 said:

@saber5055, when I saw the Pup Culture category, I immediately thought of you.  Then the $200 clue asked about the group that includes Pomeranian, Japanese Chin, and Maltese!  We've had Japanese Chin since about 1991, every one of them were rescues.  Currently have only three, but we've had as many as seven including a foster. 

Thanks for thinking of me @zoey1996. I did well in that category! Although if I wanted to be a stickler, I would have said BMS for the video of the rolling dog as it was a Rough Collie. But that's just me, if we were playing Dog Show Jeopardy. I have shown several different Toy breeds and really like them. I have not had experience with Chins although I know some breeders and the report is they are fantastic dogs in every way. I def see their appeal. You made a good choice!

• Love 3
1 hour ago, AuntiePam said:

I wouldn't have known Guernica either, except that a copy hung on the wall of an office where I used to work.  It was almost full-size -- huge. 

Back in the 70's (and maybe today), you could check out art -- mounted posters/reproductions -- from the Seattle Public Library. 

Count me in as another viewer who's glad they're doing away with the shout-outs.  They hadn't become political yet, but that day was probably coming.

For  those interested I do very well in Art categories, but I taught myself online.

There are about 20 famous artworks that come up over and over on Jeopardy and other trivia contests (Guernica, Nightwatch, Las Meninas, Girl with the Pearl earring (over and over), The Kiss. The main artists are Vermeer, Picasso, Monet and Manet (there is even a quiz called Monet or Manet), Goya, Chagall, Van Gogh, Klimt etc. A place to easily learn them all is called Lizard Point. I also learned so much geography on Lizard Point

https://lizardpoint.com/art/artists.php?a=32&amp;z=famous1 Start with ART COLLECTIONS tab-  they slowly get harder. 

• Useful 4
  • Love 4
5 hours ago, teebax said:

Another who's glad they're clamping down on the shoutouts. Honestly, they probably did James a favor since he's said he's running out of names! Now he doesn't have to worry about it anymore.

• LOL 1
  • Love 3
19 hours ago, saber5055 said:

Five shows are taped in one day, two days in a row, so 10 episodes are played per week over two days. While challengers might be "fresh," the champion has the advantage of knowing how to use the buzzer and is familiar with the cadence of Trebek's reading and how to time the lights so he/she can buzz in first.

The champ is also more comfortable being in a teevee studio with cameras in his/her face so that Deer In Headlights feeling has (mostly) gone away.

No, and for this reason I copied from TheJeopardyFan.com:

"This is the kind of game that people use to make an argument that runners-up should also receive their final score as prize money. What these people don’t realize is that the fact that the scores are points and not money until the game is won is the very reason why people are able to play the game as aggressively as they are. If all players were always in jeopardy of losing actual money if they were incorrect in Final Jeopardy or on Daily Doubles, do you actually think most players would be willing to bet nearly $27,000 in this spot? You’d see significantly more $0 wagers, and the game would actually be boring."

I can understand that reasoning, but they don't have to be so damn cheap with their 2nd and 3rd prizes. A thousand dollars? That probably doesn't even cover airfare/hotel/transportation/food for the contestant. I think $5000 and $3000 would be better prizes for coming in second or third.

• Love 7
18 hours ago, dcalley said:

Rule change alert!

I thought they'd always asked contestants not to do that, but there wasn't any penalty for ignoring that instruction.  Does this mean there will now be consequences?  If so, I wonder what the penalty will be.  Because, while those shout-outs mildly annoy me (mostly because Alex reads them; it would be better if he just ignored them), I'm having a hard time picturing someone having the most points at the end of FJ, yet not winning because of "Hi Mom."  Maybe it will just be a situation where any such message is digitally erased (so there's no point in doing it, because it will never be aired, but one doesn't lose anything).

17 minutes ago, Dobian said:

How many times in Jeopardy history has someone won $54k...and lost?  Not many.

I posted the below here yesterday, one page back. It's from TheJeopardyFan.com:

"Adam’s $53,999 is the highest-ever regular-play non-winning score in the history of the show, and is the 21st-highest final score of all time." 

• Useful 1
  • Love 3
1 minute ago, Bastet said:

I thought they'd always asked contestants not to do that, but there wasn't any penalty for ignoring that instruction.  Does this mean there will now be consequences? 

1. I think you're right, that it was always discouraged. 2. Total guess, but I think any extra text will automatically make an answer wrong.

When Ferris was an answer (as in Ferris wheel), I wondered if anyone up there knew the full name. I sure didn't. (It's George Washington Gale Ferris Jr.)

• Love 2

Well, crumb bums, no Jeopardy for me today. I should be watching right now, but a HESCO barrier (flood wall) breached in downtown Davenport, Iowa, the city is under emergency evacuation, and the station is live on that full time. Cars (parked and being driven) immediately went under water up to their windows, and people are being evacuated from now-flooded businesses by boat. People eating in restaurants all of a sudden had water rushing into the restaurants and their parked cars were washed away. The Mississippi has been over flood stage for more than 40 days and, after five inches of rain the last two days, it is cresting AGAIN, exceeding the highest crest ever. It's been pretty spectacular around here for quite some time.

I just heard the National Weather Bureau has issued a flash-flood warning. Ha ha ha, no kidding.

ETA: The station just scrolled, Jeopardy will air at 3 a.m. tomorrow. Guess I'll pass, and count on you guys to fill me in .

Edited by saber5055
  • Love 2
Just now, saber5055 said:

Well, crumb bums, no Jeopardy for me today. I should be watching right now, but a HESCO barrier (flood wall) breached in downtown Davenport, Iowa, the city is under emergency evacuation, and the station is live on that full time. Cars (parked and being driven) immediately went under water up to their windows, and people are being evacuated from now-flooded businesses by boat. People eating in restaurants all of a sudden had water rushing into the restaurants and their parked cars were washed away. The Mississippi has been over flood stage for more than 40 days and, after five inches of rain the last two days, it is cresting AGAIN, exceeding the highest crest ever. It's been pretty spectacular around here for quite some time.

I just heard the National Weather Bureau has issued a flash-flood warning. Ha ha ha, no kidding.

Wait...you’re in Chicago, aren’t you? If so, that means no Jeopardy for me, either! Argh!!!!

2 minutes ago, SHD said:

Wait...you’re in Chicago, aren’t you? If so, that means no Jeopardy for me, either! Argh!!!!

While I'm in Illinois, I get Jeopardy on the NBC affiliate out of Davenport, Iowa, so you are safe in the Chicago market.

4 hours ago, saber5055 said:

Thanks for thinking of me @zoey1996. I did well in that category! Although if I wanted to be a stickler, I would have said BMS for the video of the rolling dog as it was a Rough Collie. But that's just me, if we were playing Dog Show Jeopardy. I have shown several different Toy breeds and really like them. I have not had experience with Chins although I know some breeders and the report is they are fantastic dogs in every way. I def see their appeal. You made a good choice!

I shouted "Lassie!" as a reflex reaction from my youth when ALL collies were Lassies to me! It wasn't just the famous tv show that I loved - I also had a collie as a child, a pup of my aunt's Goldie who was the spitting image of the tv dog. We called her Lassie so often, she responded to both names.

Was Lassie a Rough Collie? I don't know that distinction, although I do know other collies (border, bearded, scotch, miniature/sheltie, etc.)

I'm a huge fur baby lover, have (almost) always had (multiple) furry beating hearts in my home, and have never met a dog I didn't like ... although I can't say the same for their human handlers... some people should not be allowed to have dogs - or children for that matter. JMO.

• Love 4
7 minutes ago, saber5055 said:

Well, crumb bums, no Jeopardy for me today. 

ETA: The station just scrolled, Jeopardy will air at 3 a.m. tomorrow. Guess I'll pass, and count on you guys to fill me in .

I've got you covered. You want the recap in your inbox now or wait till the time you would normally watch it?

• Love 1
2 minutes ago, Abstract said:

I've got you covered. You want the recap in your inbox now or wait till the time you would normally watch it?

Thanks! I already know FJ and final scores from updating the contest questions this a.m. but I'll miss the DDs and the play itself. The show would be ending here just now, it airs 4:30-5 p.m. central in this market. I'd love a recap, as long as no one else gets spoiled.

While watching the James show (sorry, but it is what it is), and the pup category, my golden retriever perked up and paid MUCH attention. I love how she cocks her head when she sees animals on tv. She even talks to them 🙂 just as she's talking to me now. It's almost as if she knows when I'm writing about her!

Non J!-related, but dog-lovers may grant me a pass: I just spent 5 days in the hospital (I'm fine now, but I have a life change upon me - taking better care of my heart) and my golden was allowed to visit me 24 hours/day. Remarkable how times have changed. When I asked why they've loosened their rules, I was told that they figure animals don't bring in any more germs than people do, and in fact their presence may reduce some of the super bugs. The healing aspect of fur babies is another reason, and I can attest to that with several examples; the most recent being my golden's 'chewing' my arthritic thumb (she's very gentle) - I can now move my thumb without pain. It took a few months, but even my doctor is gobsmacked. Phenomenal. Now if only I can get her to chew my hips.

• Love 16
6 minutes ago, Bliss said:

I just spent 5 days in the hospital (I'm fine now, but I have a life change upon me - taking better care of my heart) and my golden was allowed to visit me 24 hours/day.

I'm so glad you are better. Big whew. That had to be scary. Welcome back.

I'm taking dog talk to Small Talk thread! I know a bit about this subject.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, saber5055 said:

I posted the below here yesterday, one page back. It's from TheJeopardyFan.com:

All I have to say is, if I'm Adam, I'm saying, "Why?  WHYYYYYYYY????"

• Love 4
1 hour ago, Dobian said:

How many times in Jeopardy history has someone won $54k...and lost?  Not many.

That crossed my mind as well. He did extremely well and on any other day without James as a competitor his achievment would have been notable, I think.

• Love 1