Type keyword(s) to search

Jeopardy! Season 35 (2018-2019)

Athena
  • Start Topic

Very surprised no one got creamed spinach—I’ve never even heard of that restaurant but what else could it have been. Surprised no one  got stuff and nonsense. 

I’m glad to see so many of you also didn’t get FJ, ‘cause I really drew a blank, so I’m in good company. 

Go @teebax!

• Love 3

I got the “nonsense” TS thanks entirely to regular viewings of Anne of Green Gables back in the day. Marilla Cuthbert loves her some stuff and nonsense. 

I had no clue on FJ, but my partner guessed crowd sourcing so he at least got closer than I did.

• Love 4

We missed most of DJ due to a weather update because of bad weather & possible tornados N of the city. TS I got were creamed spinach & camels (guess). No idea for FJ but when Dr. Toothbrush said it I was like "of course". Hate when they're so obvious after the fact.

3 hours ago, kathyk2 said:

I knew stuff and nonsense. Am I the only one who yelled the Spanish Inquision after the nobody expects category?

Not just you!

1 hour ago, peeayebee said:

Cool! I'll claim that excuse, too!

It's my go-to excuse 🍷

33 minutes ago, Bliss said:

I've been doing well at FJ lately... but blew it today.

I  said, "GoFundMe?" Worst part? I thought I was right.

Me too. I was 4/4 going into Friday. At least you were on the right track; I said e-commerce which I know has been around much longer than 2008. And I was drinking Fresca so can't blame wine. Boo Hiss 

• Love 4
4 hours ago, Bastet said:

Creamed spinach surprised me as a TS, because I can’t think of another spinach dish that would be made in that quantity/vessel.  I was also surprised no one at least guessed Johannesburg.  Same with camel, since the clue spotted them pack animal.

All I could think of was spinach dip. I like spinach, though better raw than cooked, but creamed spinach sounds disgusting to me. 

I did get camel and stuff and nonsense but not FJ. I didn't know the answer about the South African city was Johannesburg, but if it was a DD or FJ that would have been my guess. I wouldn't have rung in to answer it though.

• Love 1
6 hours ago, Toothbrush said:

We missed most of DJ due to a weather update because of bad weather & possible tornados N of the city. TS I got were creamed spinach & camels (guess). No idea for FJ but when Dr. Toothbrush said it I was like "of course". Hate when they're so obvious after the fact.

Not just you!

It's my go-to excuse 🍷

Me too. I was 4/4 going into Friday. At least you were on the right track; I said e-commerce which I know has been around much longer than 2008. And I was drinking Fresca so can't blame wine. Boo Hiss 

The only thing I could think of was Venmo, but I knew that hadn’t been around long enough. 

• Love 1
9 hours ago, Bastet said:

Creamed spinach surprised me as a TS, because I can’t think of another spinach dish that would be made in that quantity/vessel.

I said soup.  I didn't know creamed spinach was a thing.  Except for cream of spinach soup.  

• Love 2
1 hour ago, SuprSuprElevated said:

Get thee to a Ruth's Chris as soon as possible!

Oh yes please. Great place to eat and their creamed spinach is good. So obviously I got that TS, Johannasburg and camels. I had no idea about FJ.

I went to “nobody expects the Spanish Inquisition” too. Only to find out that the person I was playing with had never heard or seen Monty Python. 😳 

I’m totally stoked about seeing @teebax next week. I also need a break from James’s steamroller games. 

• Love 6

FJ: I sat there thinking "influencing"? But that was a generic word and 2008 seemed a little early for it. Nothing else came to me.

As for the "streaking" - I think James is wanting to show that he's not TriviaBot9000, but as I said before, he's a little awkward.

• Love 7
(edited)
8 minutes ago, Etta Place said:

FJ: I sat there thinking "influencing"? But that was a generic word and 2008 seemed a little early for it. Nothing else came to me.

As for the "streaking" - I think James is wanting to show that he's not TriviaBot9000, but as I said before, he's a little awkward.

Influencing came to my mind as well, but I knew it was too recent. (I hate the use of that word these days, get off of my lawn!)

I thought James was kind of funny and awkward, and possibly also punch drunk from so many shows.

14 hours ago, Katy M said:

I got FJ.  And camels.  

When I went to Australia, the only two animals I saw in the wild were rabbits and camels.  Well, besides birds and lziards and stuff.  Obviously both were imported and got out of control. Anyway, they said they exported the camels and their main place was the US.  Still not sure where all these camels are.

We were stationed in Turkey back when, and when we were driving through Turkey to get to our base, we saw an actual caravan. I have a terrible picture of it somewhere (pops wasn't the best photographer). I also can say that I've never ridden a horse, but I've been on a camel. (it is weird and like being on a boat, almost, they sway)

I've never been to New York, but our little town has a restaurant run by transplanted New Yorkers, and they have creamed spinach. Which I love. Still didn't get the clue, because I know nothing (Jon Snow) about Berghoffs.

Edited by Clanstarling
  • LOL 2
  • Love 2
6 minutes ago, Clanstarling said:

We were stationed in Turkey back when, and when we were driving through Turkey to get to our base, we saw an actual caravan. I have a terrible picture of it somewhere (pops wasn't the best photographer). I also can say that I've never ridden a horse, but I've been on a camel. (it is weird and like being on a boat, almost, they sway)

I got to ride a camel, too.  Not one of the wild ones:)  Then, after we rode camels, we ate camel. That seemed wrong somehow.  I only had a taste.  It tasted liked corned beef, of which I am not a huge fan.  

• Love 1
38 minutes ago, Clanstarling said:

I also can say that I've never ridden a horse, but I've been on a camel. (it is weird and like being on a boat, almost, they sway)

Aren't they called the ships of the desert? 

• Love 7
8 minutes ago, icemiser69 said:

The novelty of James' success and how he plays the game is wearing off.  I appreciate how good he is at the game, but now I am at a point where I would hope that someone would at least make the game competitive, if not flat out beat him.

I have nothing against the dude.  He seems like a nice guy, toothy smile and all.  I just feel like I am watching the same tired episode over and over again.  They bring on new competitors, but the results are the same.   Non-competitive games.

I agree. James is really impressive, but I find myself not wanting to watch every day because it's almost never a competitive game. I'd be looking forward to the tournament next week even if I weren't in it. 

I was interviewed by the Tucson ABC affiliate last week, and I'll post a clip of it when it airs on Tuesday morning. They spent a lot of time at my school, and I had a chance to talk about how great my students and admin are. They recorded me teaching and interviewed a couple of my students, so they are really excited to see themselves on TV. 

• Love 23
46 minutes ago, Katy M said:

I got to ride a camel, too.  Not one of the wild ones:)  Then, after we rode camels, we ate camel. That seemed wrong somehow.  I only had a taste.  It tasted liked corned beef, of which I am not a huge fan.  

I expected you to say it tastes like chicken! LOL. Yeah, it seems a little wrong to me too - but it makes sense in the culture they are a part of.

14 minutes ago, peeayebee said:

Aren't they called the ships of the desert? 

Why, yes, yes they are. And in all these years since I rode the camel (I was in 6th grade), I never once put that together with my experience. Thank you!

• Love 2

Even though James' affect is rather cool as a cucumber (yes, a bit of an awkward cucumber), I would imagine that he is exhausted.  I think we're seeing the result of that in his goofy antics.  Imagine with the ramping up of the publicity, the interviews, and haters emerging...

Gotta be stressful, even for AnswerBot, lol.

• Love 5
(edited)
49 minutes ago, HyeChaps said:

Rather than crowdfunding, my guess was cryptocurrency. Wonder if they would have allowed it?

See that's where I went too.  I thought maybe Bitcoin, though it didn't really fit the "social media" aspect, so I knew it was wrong.

Edited by SuprSuprElevated
  • Love 3

My first guess was Online Banking. My second guess something with Stock Trading. I didn’t have a third guess because I’m not that smart. James is a amazing there’s only been one serious threat from another player thus making the games not as exciting to watch. I pretty much fast forward to the 23 minute mark to see a question or two and then see how much he has amassed. I don’t usually watch the special theme weeks such as teacher, teens or college. I’m not sure why though. I’ll see everyone back here in two weeks. 

3 hours ago, teebax said:

I was interviewed by the Tucson ABC affiliate last week, and I'll post a clip of it when it airs on Tuesday morning. They spent a lot of time at my school, and I had a chance to talk about how great my students and admin are. They recorded me teaching and interviewed a couple of my students, so they are really excited to see themselves on TV. 

I'm in Tucson and I'll definitely be looking for it. And cheering you on in the tournament.

• Love 5

Thank God the Teachers Tournament is starting.

I can watch Jeopardy again! 

That James guy is an impressive player, but the games are boring af. It's like that progressive commercial with that guy who keeps winning. No fun to watch. 

• Love 7

It's kind of funny, because I had soured on the Teacher's Tournament a bit when they were prone to making the clues easier overall in those games, something I found offensive, and I even skipped a couple (or at least didn't make a point to be done/home in time to watch) but now between wanting a pause in this string of runaway games and looking forward to seeing one of "our own" compete in this year's tournament, I'm excited for it!

• Love 8
(edited)
7 hours ago, SuprSuprElevated said:

Get thee to a Ruth's Chris as soon as possible!

It's generally a steak house specialty.  Here in NYC Peter Luger's has been famous for its creamed spinach for generations. Other steak houses copy that menu.  That Burghoff place, or whatever it was called, sounded like it was a steak house, so creamed spinach had to be the right response.  (I happen to love steak house creamed spinach.  My mother used to make Stouffer's frozen version when I was a kid, but it's kind of bitter.  It tastes like canned spinach.  When it's made with fresh spinach it's really quite good.)

Edited by GussieK
  • Love 5
4 hours ago, HyeChaps said:

Rather than crowdfunding, my guess was cryptocurrency. Wonder if they would have allowed it?

Crowdfunding and cryptocurrency are two different things. GoFundMe is a type of crowdfunding. Bitcoin is a type of crypto currency. 

• Love 5
(edited)
1 minute ago, Trillium said:

Crowdfunding and cryptocurrency are two different things. GoFundMe is a type of crowdfunding. Bitcoin is a type of crypto currency. 

What is 'yes'

Edited by SuprSuprElevated
  • Love 1
45 minutes ago, GussieK said:

That Burghoff place, or whatever it was called, sounded like it was a steak house, so creamed spinach had to be the right response. 

The Berghoff is a German restaurant where the entrees include Wiener Schnitzel, Sauerbraten, three kinds of Game Sausage, Sausage Trio, Spinatknödel, three kinds of schnitzel including Jäger Schnitzel, and German Gnocchi. The Berghoff sides include the German standbys of sauerkraut, potato pancakes, red cabbage, spätzle and German potato salad. Creamed spinach is just one of the "American" sides, along with cole slaw, chips, Brussels sprouts and mashed potatoes.

There is not one single steak on The Berghoff's menu.

I’d guess James has been to The Berghoff, it’s one of Chicago’s most famous places, which is why he didn’t ring in. Who figures a German place for creamed spinach. It was a stupid clue. And I stand by that fact.

• Love 1
(edited)
19 hours ago, saber5055 said:

Camel was a TS. Of course. Because it's an animal. Aardvark.

I think the clue may have generated some confusion.  It said "the U.S. Army imported these creatures from Africa".  I think they thought more of "traditional African" animals, which is why the two incorrect responses given were elephant and zebra.  I think a lot of people forget that the Sahara and other desert regions are on the African continent, and simply associate camels with the Middle East, like Saudi Arabia.

Edited by Moose135
  • Love 2
12 minutes ago, Moose135 said:

It said "the U.S. Army imported these creatures from Africa". 

"... from Africa as pack animals," and pack animals is why I was surprised no one guessed camel after elephants were ruled out. 

But I think you're right that the contestants weren't associating camels with Africa, because I bet if the clue had said they'd been imported from the Middle East, it would have been a race to buzz in with "What are camels?"

• Love 3
5 hours ago, HyeChaps said:

They're two completely different things, and the clue referred to a specific article. That article was (presumably) about crowdfunding, not cryptocurrency, so even if something else sounded like it might fit the rest of the clue, it would be wrong since it was not the topic of the article they mentioned.

• Love 2
23 minutes ago, Moose135 said:

I think the clue may have generated some confusion. 

I agree. It was another poorly written clue. My search says the first boatload of U.S. Army camels came from Tunisia, Malta, Greece, Turkey, and Egypt, and the second boat load all from Egypt, which is part of both the African and Asian continents. Not exactly "all" from "Africa." The first load included two Bactrian camels, which are found in central Asia. While I knew about the camel experiment, elephant was a good (if wrong) response based on the badly written clue. Zebra was a wild stab based on its resemblance to a horse I guess, even though they are notoriously difficult if not impossible to domesticate/train.

• Love 1
3 hours ago, saber5055 said:

The Berghoff is a German restaurant where the entrees include Wiener Schnitzel, Sauerbraten, three kinds of Game Sausage, Sausage Trio, Spinatknödel, three kinds of schnitzel including Jäger Schnitzel, and German Gnocchi. The Berghoff sides include the German standbys of sauerkraut, potato pancakes, red cabbage, spätzle and German potato salad. Creamed spinach is just one of the "American" sides, along with cole slaw, chips, Brussels sprouts and mashed potatoes.

There is not one single steak on The Berghoff's menu.

I’d guess James has been to The Berghoff, it’s one of Chicago’s most famous places, which is why he didn’t ring in. Who figures a German place for creamed spinach. It was a stupid clue. And I stand by that fact.

Ah, well the only thing with spinach on that menu is the Spinatknödel. No wonder people who knew the restaurant were confused. But boy, do I want to eat there if I'm ever in New York. I'm well away from a decent German restaurant (and for me, that means a restaurant with Bavarian recipes).

1 hour ago, Poohbear617 said:

I understand why some are bored with the games and James.  But I would gladly take James winning streak over Buzzy or Astin anyday!!!

Yes!  Those two were just obnoxious.  James is just the opposite.

First I said its like GoFundme but knew they wanted a more general term and not a website name so my final answer was Crowdsourcing. I kind of knew that was not exactly right but I was on the right track. For streaking I said Mooning. I wonder if they would have accepted that? Probably not but I knew what I meant!

I honestly knew Cosette but I'm the opposite of James, the things I know take at least 10 seconds to pull up. 

• Love 2
6 minutes ago, calpurnia99 said:

For streaking I said Mooning. I wonder if they would have accepted that?

No, because they're two different things (mooning is just a bare ass, while streaking is naked [or nekkid, as Lewis Grizzard would say, as naked is when you don't have any clothes on and nekkid means you don't have any clothes on and you're up to something]), and the clue referenced what happened while David Niven was onstage at the Oscars in 1974, and that was a streaker.

• Love 6
On 5/3/2019 at 9:34 PM, peeayebee said:

I think the longer players play, the more likely they are to "act up."

I think it’s more a matter of feeling comfortable enough to joke around, which I imagine would take awhile in that setting. Ken J certainly became more relaxed, and more prone to make jokes, the longer he was there.

14 hours ago, icemiser69 said:

I have nothing against the dude.  He seems like a nice guy, toothy smile and all.  

Every time he smiles, it makes me think of that episode of Friends where Chandler couldn’t smile naturally for a portrait. Every time the cameraman would say “Smile!”, he’d contort his face into this weird, clenched-mouth tortured grin. That’s James.

• Love 5
18 minutes ago, 30 Helens said:

Every time he smiles, it makes me think of that episode of Friends where Chandler couldn’t smile naturally for a portrait. Every time the cameraman would say “Smile!”, he’d contort his face into this weird, clenched-mouth tortured grin. That’s James.

Someone actually made a meme comparing those two and posted it on Twitter. James re-tweeted it.

James/Chandler comparison

And now, for my favorite meme EVER! Drumroll, please:

Let Them Fight!

• Love 5
7 hours ago, saber5055 said:

My search says the first boatload of U.S. Army camels came from Tunisia, Malta, Greece, Turkey, and Egypt, and the second boat load all from Egypt, which is part of both the African and Asian continents. Not exactly "all" from "Africa." 

I've actually ridden a camel in Tunisia, but this answer would never have occurred to me.

• Love 1
5 hours ago, Bliss said:

THIS!

Hopefully, with Alex hosting. Please?

Yes, definitely. And while we're at it, make it a 2-hour live prime time special in a theater with an extra big audience and a red carpet with celebs in attendance. The Oscars of Jeopardy. 

• Love 5
7 hours ago, Abstract said:

And now, for my favorite meme EVER! Drumroll, please:

Let Them Fight!

That's a GREAT photo of James. Who's the guy on the bottom? Shouldn't that be Trebek? And I just realized why I like James - Brad ought to shave. I hate that stubble look. It reeks of poor grooming. James is always nicely turned out, even in those pullover shirts.

• Love 2
(edited)

The not being able to smile for a photo is something I've noticed with my relatives and friends of my son with autism and Asperger Syndrome. It's the first thing I said about James when I saw his smile. The people I know with this condition do that exact weird thing.

Edited by calpurnia99
  • Love 1
3 hours ago, Abstract said:

Yes, definitely. And while we're at it, make it a 2-hour live prime time special in a theater with an extra big audience and a red carpet with celebs in attendance. The Oscars of Jeopardy. 

I'm there.

Winner plays Watson.

• LOL 1
  • Love 2
4 hours ago, Prevailing Wind said:

That's a GREAT photo of James. Who's the guy on the bottom? Shouldn't that be Trebek? And I just realized why I like James - Brad ought to shave. I hate that stubble look. It reeks of poor grooming. 

I'm guessing the guy on the bottom is the one who says that line in the movie it's from.

Great pictures of all the guys. I think Brad's look works for him.  

(edited)
4 hours ago, Prevailing Wind said:

That's a GREAT photo of James. Who's the guy on the bottom? Shouldn't that be Trebek? And I just realized why I like James - Brad ought to shave. I hate that stubble look. It reeks of poor grooming. James is always nicely turned out, even in those pullover shirts.

At first I thought it was Takeshi Kaga, the Chairman from Iron Chef, but it turns out to be a Japanese military guy from the new Godzilla: King of the Monsters trailer. The movie apparently features many of the classic monsters, like Mothra, Rodan and Gidorah and this guy suggests that humans should just let them fight it out. 

Edited by Kathira
  • Love 3