Jump to content
Forums forums
PRIMETIMER
frenchtoast

Josiah and Lauren: He Has To Marry Somebody

Recommended Posts

3 hours ago, Christina87 said:

THIS. I dated a gay guy when I was younger (it's easy to meet guys in the closet when you're a musician), and it absolutely crushed my self esteem! I had to go to therapy. Being constantly rejected by your partner, especially as a woman, is agonizing on a level you don't understand until you go through it. I would never wish this on someone long term!

I too dated a guy in the closet in college. I kind of figured something was not right, and ended the relationship (we stayed friends for a good long while until he came out and then cut me out of his life). I don't think Josiah is gay, but I would feel for anyone (especially a woman in this culture) who is married to someone in the closet. 

  • Like 9

Share this post


Link to post

1 hour ago, Scarlett45 said:

I too dated a guy in the closet in college. I kind of figured something was not right, and ended the relationship (we stayed friends for a good long while until he came out and then cut me out of his life). I don't think Josiah is gay, but I would feel for anyone (especially a woman in this culture) who is married to someone in the closet. 

I think dating someone in the closet is more common than people realize! Hopefully now that gay rights are more accepted, this will happen less and less. I definitely hope for both of their sake that Josiah isn't gay. It's sad that they would not be allowed to be who they really are!

  • Like 14

Share this post


Link to post
On 4/24/2018 at 9:55 PM, AnnieBeez said:

So true. I'd much rather see someone own their gummy smile or receding hairline.

[I went to a department store makeup counter once to buy something. I was invited back for advice on my eyebrows. I walked away wondering what the hell is wrong with my eyebrows?!]

OT:  I was in a manicure place getting my legs waxed for a big occasion once.  The technician suggested I would be better off plucking my chin, with a helpless giggle at the end of it. 

That manicure place is less than 2 blocks from my job, and I've never been back there again.  I've basically like four chin hairs that grow back in varying stages of "darker/thicker than" the remaining hairs, and I doubt I could have had more than one present at that point in time, as I have a magnifying mirror of my own and an epilator.  I do have a bit of "peach fuzz" in the chin area, but I'm a blonde, and it's platinum and short... until such time as I decide I need to fiddle with an outlier or two for the above reasons, at which point some of those plucked tend to respond defiantly to my attempt to extract them, and grow back darker and with a more resistant follicle.  Thus I've no interest in getting rid of the uniform peach fuzz (if it was good enough for Marilyn Monroe it's good enough for me), and I really thought it would've been unseemly to stand there arguing with a salon girl about my own face.

  • Like 16

Share this post


Link to post

@queenanne, I have the same thing going on. I’ve never been hairy, the hair on my face is invisible unless you have a magnifying glass and a good light.  My bff, however, shaves her face in the shower every morning (secretly I look Forward to when she’s old and confused and the nursing home personnel let that go...).  She lectures me on my lack of vanity, and tells me I should shave.  I’m going... shrug.  Why???   Driving down the road once in brilliant baking sunlight, she looks over at my profile and says, “you DO too have fuzz on your face”.  

Just so you know, I still have it.

  • Like 12

Share this post


Link to post
8 minutes ago, Portia said:

And this is why I, at age 53, have already begun drilling my adult children that it will one day be their responsibility to keep up my chin hair maintenance.  "If you love me," I tell them, "you'll always bring tweezers when you visit me in the nursing home."

<adding that to my rules to give to my sister>  Me and my sister have a deal.  We make sure our eyebrows are done if we are unable to handle it ourselves.  When our mom was still mobile yet had eye issues we would sometimes see bright pink eyebrows.  She would mix up her eyebrow and lip pencils.  We put tape around one of them so she could feel the difference.  Women gotta look out for each other!

  • Like 23

Share this post


Link to post

1 hour ago, Portia said:

"If you love me," I tell them, "you'll always bring tweezers when you visit me in the nursing home."

This is why tweezers are resident in my handbag so when my mother asks what can be done about a hair, I'm prepared.

I hope Josiah and Lauren really care about each other.  Perhaps seeing them together more on the show will help, but Josiah seems to not "get close" to his girlfriends in front of the camera.  Maybe it's just the way he is about being filmed and not some more concerning reason.

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post

Has their wedding date been officially announced yet?  Following their 3 month courting & engagement time frames, that would bring us to a June wedding.  And a baby in 9 months....

Their wacky time lines are driving me crazy.  Plus I'm getting the Duggars & Bates confused with all the new babies & nuptials. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post

They don't announce wedding dates anymore because paparazzi. Usually, however, I can nail down a date based on what we know about their courtship/engagement. The trend now is Friday nights (far easier to get a church on short notice, I'm sure), so I'm going with May 25. May 18 is Lauren's birthday, IIRC, so I doubt they'll use that date. 

  • Like 9

Share this post


Link to post
4 hours ago, Portia said:

And this is why I, at age 53, have already begun drilling my adult children that it will one day be their responsibility to keep up my chin hair maintenance.  "If you love me," I tell them, "you'll always bring tweezers when you visit me in the nursing home."

My mom always was careful about stray whiskers on her chin. At the nursing home, I tried to get them to keep up with it. They do but I know if she knew what was going on, she would not be happy with the job. 

On 4/22/2018 at 4:43 PM, Lady Edith said:

I still say she looks like a female fundie Tim Curry. 

Apologies to all my fellow Curry fans...

OMG! I can see it! 

Share this post


Link to post
5 hours ago, Happyfatchick said:

@queenanne, I have the same thing going on. I’ve never been hairy, the hair on my face is invisible unless you have a magnifying glass and a good light.  My bff, however, shaves her face in the shower every morning (secretly I look Forward to when she’s old and confused and the nursing home personnel let that go...).  She lectures me on my lack of vanity, and tells me I should shave.  I’m going... shrug.  Why???   Driving down the road once in brilliant baking sunlight, she looks over at my profile and says, “you DO too have fuzz on your face”.  

Just so you know, I still have it.

Here is the good news as far as I am concerned. I have been very hairy, dark hair, all my life.  Now that I am, ahem, older, most of it has gone away.  Even those dreaded chin hairs are few and far between and lighter.  I barely have to shave underarms and legs anymore.  Good I guess, except the aging thing.

  • Like 18

Share this post


Link to post

I don't when they will get married, but I think like Kendra, she's 18 now and will be 19 when she gets married. That seems to be par for the course now. Anna was 19 when she and Josh were courting and 20 when they got married.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post

1 hour ago, Fuzzysox said:

Pickles' source claims the wedding will be June 30th.

Nope. Kendra will have just whelped. I am going for the Friday before Memorial Day. That's also right around the 3 month engagement mark and just past Lauren's 19th birthday.

Edited by Sew Sumi
  • Like 8

Share this post


Link to post
On 4/26/2018 at 9:48 AM, Portia said:

And this is why I, at age 53, have already begun drilling my adult children that it will one day be their responsibility to keep up my chin hair maintenance.  "If you love me," I tell them, "you'll always bring tweezers when you visit me in the nursing home."

I have had this conversation with my daughter.  The joys of being post menopausal and over 50!

  • Like 8

Share this post


Link to post
On 4/26/2018 at 3:50 PM, Sew Sumi said:

They don't announce wedding dates anymore because paparazzi. Usually, however, I can nail down a date based on what we know about their courtship/engagement. The trend now is Friday nights (far easier to get a church on short notice, I'm sure), so I'm going with May 25. May 18 is Lauren's birthday, IIRC, so I doubt they'll use that date. 

Oh goody! Then she can CONSTANTLY talk on the episode about, "today's my birthday, and this time next week I will be married! Eeeek! I can't believe it!!! I just turned 19, and I'll be married in a week. All these changes at once! Ahhhh! How exciting!"

they love to find one inane point and repeat it ad nauseum through the episode, because they can't think of anything else to say. 

Edited by Christina87
  • Like 18

Share this post


Link to post

If you get married at 19 and don't believe in birth control, you are going to have a very LONG season of pregnancy/birth/small children.  No new season for a while!

  • Like 20

Share this post


Link to post

I've never known anyone who grew up Fundie, but I'm curious as to whether a decent number of these girls walk down the aisle knowing they're making a huge mistake. In Lauren's case it seems like there's so much pressure from both families to seal the deal, that any reservations she has about the relationship would fall on deaf ears. I may be totally off-base and she's thrilled to be marrying Josiah, but something about them feels very forced to me, even more so than Austin and Joy.

  • Like 7

Share this post


Link to post
29 minutes ago, BitterApple said:

I've never known anyone who grew up Fundie, but I'm curious as to whether a decent number of these girls walk down the aisle knowing they're making a huge mistake. In Lauren's case it seems like there's so much pressure from both families to seal the deal, that any reservations she has about the relationship would fall on deaf ears. I may be totally off-base and she's thrilled to be marrying Josiah, but something about them feels very forced to me, even more so than Austin and Joy.

In Joy's case, I think she was overly eager to leave her parent's house and marriage was the only way she could do that.  She didn't fall in love with Austin, but he was acceptable to her as a marriage partner.  Lauren may also be eager to escape and she is, in fact, living at the Duggar compound now.  Lauren wasn't in love with Josiah when he asked her to court and then to be engaged, but she agreed to accept.  Unlike Jill and Jessa who were infatuated with their fiancées, Joy and Lauren appear to have simply agreed to marry the first people who asked them.

  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post

Thanks to @MichaelaRae, every time someone posts a photo of Josiah, I look at his crotch. (Damn you, Michaela.) Does anyone else see what I see in the second photo @Lunera just posted? 

  • Like 12

Share this post


Link to post
43 minutes ago, Heathen said:

Thanks to @MichaelaRae, every time someone posts a photo of Josiah, I look at his crotch. (Damn you, Michaela.) Does anyone else see what I see in the second photo @Lunera just posted? 

That he has a phone in his pocket? ;-)

20180505_171122.jpg

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post

4 hours ago, Fuzzysox said:

What, Lauren now lives in the TTH????

No, they went out to dinner with her parents and all her siblings. 

Share this post


Link to post

8 hours ago, Nysha said:

Josiah's date night smile looks like he's clenching his jaw.

I noticed that in the first pic. His smile does not reach his eyes.

The second pic looked better though.

Share this post


Link to post
19 hours ago, Lunera said:

55d8535e-76da-48b0-9dd8-cef7aa5ce398.thumb.jpg.4653d643bef9f7a1d78cfef2596092a9.jpg

Date night with 10 chaperones and engagement photos. 

Is that really their engagement photo?  It looks so washed out but maybe that was the look they were going for.  Maybe it's me but the engagement has done a number on Si.  Like the reality of it all has finally sunk in.  I agree @lookeyloo, I don't see any chemistry between them either.  How sad.

  • Like 9

Share this post


Link to post

It looks like she is hanging on for dear life so he won't leave! I hope they at least really like each other as friends, because maybe that will temper their misery. 

  • Like 7

Share this post


Link to post
15 hours ago, Lunera said:

No, they went out to dinner with her parents and all her siblings. 

They seem to be out to dinner with her dad and 7 of her siblings. Her mother and the baby are probably at home. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post

There’s a comment on the date night pictures stating Lauren attended and graduated college. The person who posted it said they were in a Psychology class together. Has this been stated elsewhere?

Share this post


Link to post

Lauren is not even 19 and hasn't been known to have been matriculating anywhere this past year. I'd take that rumor with a saltlick. 

  • Like 8

Share this post


Link to post
1 minute ago, Sew Sumi said:

Lauren is not even 19 and hasn't been known to have been matriculating anywhere this past year. I'd take that rumor with a saltlick. 

I suppose, since people can type whatever they want in the comments, but why that ?  

Oh well.

Share this post


Link to post

She is always holding on real tight to Josiah.

Josiah always looks a little...checked out? 

  • Like 8

Share this post


Link to post
6 minutes ago, Marigold said:

She is always holding on real tight to Josiah.

 

I noticed that as well.  Like she's expecting him to bolt at any second, not that I could blame him.  

In the first photo his expression to me is like, "How the fuck did I get here?"  Like he's just now realizing what he's in for and cant' figure how to get out of it.

  • Like 10

Share this post


Link to post

Too many fundie women do that latch-onto-him move too often for it to be a total accident. It's like the headship-adoration gaze. Either they're teaching the girls/women to do that deliberately or that the girls are seeing it so often they figure that's how you pose for a picture. Part of it is that whoever is taking the photo wants the intended audience to know this is a couple in love!

  • Like 10

Share this post


Link to post

That is some seriously extensive arm and hand holding going on there!  They are taking the hand-holding liberty of engagement a bit far, if you ask me!  ;-)

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
On 5/5/2018 at 6:14 PM, ChiCricket said:

That he has a phone in his pocket? ;-)

20180505_171122.jpg

Or maybe he's just happy to see her! ;)

  • Like 14

Share this post


Link to post
8 hours ago, Barb23 said:

Is that really their engagement photo?  It looks so washed out but maybe that was the look they were going for.  Maybe it's me but the engagement has done a number on Si.  Like the reality of it all has finally sunk in.  I agree @lookeyloo, I don't see any chemistry between them either.  How sad.

This is so an arrangement marriage hence no chemistry. 

  • Like 8

Share this post


Link to post
2 hours ago, Normades said:

Or maybe he's just happy to see her! ;)

Well, in that case, I hope for her sake he has no phone in his pocket! Unfortunately, I do see the outline of the phone...However, in fairness, the whole crotch-ular area does look a mite...puffy ..in the longer shots, so I'll take that as a positive. 

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post

Lauren is a pretty girl, and for the most part we've seen her dress nicely, and Josiah was always the best-dressed of the boys, but these photos don't do them any favors. Lauren's dress might be pretty, and she may want a soft, feminine look for these photos, but the sweater looks like it was a cast-off because even Jill thought it was too frumpy. Josiah looks like he didn't even bother to change out of his "work" clothes. I guess we're supposed to see how ALERT changed the cute, fashionably dressed Josiah into a real man with a beard, and frumpy ill-fitting clothes.

  • Like 16

Share this post


Link to post
9 minutes ago, cmr2014 said:

Lauren is a pretty girl, and for the most part we've seen her dress nicely, and Josiah was always the best-dressed of the boys, but these photos don't do them any favors. Lauren's dress might be pretty, and she may want a soft, feminine look for these photos, but the sweater looks like it was a cast-off because even Jill thought it was too frumpy. Josiah looks like he didn't even bother to change out of his "work" clothes. I guess we're supposed to see how ALERT changed the cute, fashionably dressed Josiah into a real man with a beard, and frumpy ill-fitting clothes.

Such an achievement, lol! Josiah used to be so cute in his fashionable clothes! I wish he would start wearing them again and point to Jeremy as a "manly" example of someone who does the same. 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
9 hours ago, Barb23 said:

Is that really their engagement photo?  It looks so washed out but maybe that was the look they were going for.  Maybe it's me but the engagement has done a number on Si.  Like the reality of it all has finally sunk in.  I agree @lookeyloo, I don't see any chemistry between them either.  How sad.

Josiah and Lauren's dynamic is kind of a cross between David and Priscilla, and Josh and Anna.

Who do you all think has the most chemistry out of all the Duggar couples? 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
13 minutes ago, madpsych78 said:

 

Who do you all think has the most chemistry out of all the Duggar couples? 

I'd say Joe and Kendra. I think Jeremy and Jinger have chemistry, but I don't like that 80% of the infatuation comes from Jinger's side. With JoKen I think it's more equally balanced. 

  • Like 20

Share this post


Link to post

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...

Customize font-size