Type keyword(s) to search

Josiah and Lauren: He Has To Marry Somebody

• Start Topic

28 minutes ago, louannems said:

So far, every single photo they have shown us of Lauren, from the beginning, has looked the same.  Her countenance is seemingly frozen into the exact same, but lovely, smile.

Does she not have any variance of mood or reactions?

She is looking more and more Stepford wifey the more I see her.

Now do you see the gnome resemblance in Jason?

I know I should be grateful that Lauren isn't doing duck-faces or Jill's horrid "surprise" face, but she does seem oddly disconnected. She's a lovely girl appearance-wise, but I'm not getting shades of a young woman who's newly engaged and in the midst of the most thrilling time of her life. In fairness, I know nothing of her personality and maybe she's just more reserved but I wonder if she even wants to marry Si or whether she's doing it because Daddy said so.

• Love 16
2 hours ago, BitterApple said:

I know I should be grateful that Lauren isn't doing duck-faces or Jill's horrid "surprise" face, but she does seem oddly disconnected. She's a lovely girl appearance-wise, but I'm not getting shades of a young woman who's newly engaged and in the midst of the most thrilling time of her life. In fairness, I know nothing of her personality and maybe she's just more reserved but I wonder if she even wants to marry Si or whether she's doing it because Daddy said so.

Exactly!!! She seems like a teenage girl just going through the motions, like maybe going to prom with Josiah and killing time dating him until college starts. I get the whole "casual acquaintance and friends for now" vibe when I look at their pictures.

• Love 12
4 minutes ago, Christina87 said:

Exactly!!! She seems like a teenage girl just going through the motions, like maybe going to prom with Josiah and killing time dating him until college starts. I get the whole "casual acquaintance and friends for now" vibe when I look at their pictures.

Yes, thirded.  She kinds of reminds me of Kim Kardashian before her wedding to the basketball player (Kris?).  I had just had a baby and sadly was watching "Keeping Up" trying to nap in the afternoons.  I remember thinking that Kim DID NOT want to get married to him but just couldn't stop the train- I actually felt bad for her as she seemed so stressed and conflicted.  Lauren is smiling in all the photos but the video interaction I saw gave me the same vibe.  Plus, Kim was a more-established adult with her own income, etc.... Lauren has nothing to fall back on if she made a choice that upset her family and community.  IF she is regretting the engagement she might also be dealing with guilt since Josiah had a previous one crumble.  I don't think he's a bad guy at all, I'm just not seeing love on her end.  

• Love 10
15 hours ago, prunieprune said:

Yes, thirded.  She kinds of reminds me of Kim Kardashian before her wedding to the basketball player (Kris?).  I had just had a baby and sadly was watching "Keeping Up" trying to nap in the afternoons.  I remember thinking that Kim DID NOT want to get married to him but just couldn't stop the train- I actually felt bad for her as she seemed so stressed and conflicted.  Lauren is smiling in all the photos but the video interaction I saw gave me the same vibe.  Plus, Kim was a more-established adult with her own income, etc.... Lauren has nothing to fall back on if she made a choice that upset her family and community.  IF she is regretting the engagement she might also be dealing with guilt since Josiah had a previous one crumble.  I don't think he's a bad guy at all, I'm just not seeing love on her end.  

Plus Kimmy had one failed marriage under her belt before she married basketball player Kris. 

Lauren is stuck. 

Edited by Westiepeach
  • Love 7
7 hours ago, humbleopinion said:

Si's hairline is tragic...the tuft in the front will be gone by the wedding...

Jase has an unsightly Wolverine-ish peach fuzz pattern going on...

He's going to have a five-head like Bradley Whitford. Except Bradley Whitford is almost sixty years old. 

• Love 3
23 hours ago, lookeyloo said:

I would not drive 5 minutes to enrich the Gaines since I don't like their beliefs. We did drive 7 hours yesterday because it is easier than flying and now we have our car. Plus we listened to a good book. I love a road trip. 

I wouldn't either because I really don't like their decorating style. I watched a marathon of their show one day a few years back it didn't take long to realize all her designs were basically the same. To this day I hate shipslap. 

• Love 16

Very late to the Josiah/Lauren news; didn't even know.  Guess I'll reserve judgement on her personality until she pops up on the show and we get to see her in action; let's just hope she's not another giggle Kendra.   TLC better get moving on new episodes, the Duggars are throwing out engagements and babies faster and faster these days (on their way to world domination through procreation)

On her looks though - I immediately though Amber Benson (best known as Tara from Buffy the Vampire Slayer).  I think there's a really close resemblance there:

Capture4.JPG

Edited by sigmaforce86
  • Useful 1
  • Love 3
On 4/2/2018 at 6:57 PM, Mojitogirl said:

I think her dress is VERY daring for the society they live in. It shows off her boobs, waist, butt, and thighs - kind of like the dresses lots of mainstream girls wear.  It kind of checks off modesty boxes while not being modest. I like that spark. 

I think Josiah dressed her.

I've said it before, but I think Lauren really looks like a young Sara Evans (the country singer).

• Love 4
10 hours ago, andromeda331 said:

I wouldn't either because I really don't like their decorating style. I watched a marathon of their show one day a few years back it didn't take long to realize all her designs were basically the same. To this day I hate shipslap

I just read this as shit slap.  

• Love 16
On 4/9/2018 at 8:33 PM, MichaelaRae said:

And when you look at the photo (and I apologize for this, but if I have to notice it, I'M TAKING YOU ALL WITH ME), Si is not used to such physical contact and his hand is trying to address the issue (and "little Si" dresses right apparently). (And/or he's just a TYPICAL YOUNG MAN WHO HAS NORMAL REACTIONS TO PHYSICAL CONTACT BUT HAD TO PROPOSE TO A WOMAN BECAUSE JESUS.)

I noticed this, too. “Josiah is packing,” I said to myself. 

• Love 3
On 4/11/2018 at 10:19 AM, sigmaforce86 said:

On her looks though - I immediately though Amber Benson (best known as Tara from Buffy the Vampire Slayer).  I think there's a really close resemblance there:

Capture4.JPG

It's been said before, but I get Michelle Trachtenberg:

michelle_trachtenberg-300x300.jpg

• Useful 1
  • Love 9
2 minutes ago, Lady Edith said:

I still say she looks like a female fundie Tim Curry. 

Apologies to all my fellow Curry fans...

I can see that LOL...I'm still not sure who she reminds me of. Maybe a character from some animated show or a toy or something. Her face definitely has a familiar quality to it that I can't place.

• Love 1
20 minutes ago, Lady Edith said:

I still say she looks like a female fundie Tim Curry. 

Apologies to all my fellow Curry fans...

I think we have a winner! Now I can’t unsee it. 

• Love 4
24 minutes ago, DragonFaerie said:

Same here - does that mean that we get to call Josiah Rocky???

Definitely. I’m also picturing guests throwing toast during the wedding reception speeches. 

Edited by EVS
Clarity
  • Love 6
1 hour ago, lookeyloo said:

Poor dear looks tired or has allergies with the under eye bags. She has too many gums!  My cousin's daughter had that and they got her a "procedure" at a real dentist who fixed it.

Or, if it bothers her, she could just get Botox on her upper lip, which I'd think would be much preferable to some crazy invasive dental procedure :)

• Love 3
44 minutes ago, graefin said:

Or, if it bothers her, she could just get Botox on her upper lip, which I'd think would be much preferable to some crazy invasive dental procedure :)

Wow. According to my cousin it was one visit and his daughter was very pleased. It didn't sound like a crazy invasive procedure. There are risks with Botox too and it has to be repeated. That crazy invasive procedure for her was a one time deal. To each his or her own. Lauren will probably do neither in my pinion 

• Love 9
2 hours ago, lookeyloo said:

Wow. According to my cousin it was one visit and his daughter was very pleased. It didn't sound like a crazy invasive procedure. There are risks with Botox too and it has to be repeated. That crazy invasive procedure for her was a one time deal. To each his or her own. Lauren will probably do neither in my pinion 

I had that done, and it was wonderful! I got attacked for suggesting it last time, though, so be careful. I had a wonderful, quick experience at the dentist, honestly painless, and my gummy smile was gone! I feel so much more confident now...yes, it was cosmetic surgery, but I am absolutely proud I got it. 

• Love 14

I think Lauren's an attractive young woman and would never have noticed her gummy smile if it hadn't been pointed out here. I don't see any reason for her to have it "fixed" unless it was truly something that bothered her, in the same way my very pretty sister-in-law doesn't dye her gray hair, but I do because it makes me feel better.

• Love 24

Lauren and Kendra are the oldest daughters in big fundie families and I don't them well enough to say it's 100% true, but I believe their options are a lot like Joy's. Help mama with the children or get married and raise their own or strike out on their own possibly with no help/support* from the family. I don't know for sure, but it isn't unheard of for fundie parents to want their kids and especially their daughters to wait to move out until marriage. We knew some really mainstream fundie-lites who insisted their kids live at home until marriage, and some of their kids got married young like the Duggars/in-laws. 

*(By help and support I don't necessarily mean financial. It could also be emotional support as well.) 

I agree with the above comments, but I think Kendra lucked out in that there's mutual affection between her and Joe. I don't think Si is a bad person at all, nor do I think he'd be a dick to his wife, but we all know this isn't what he'd choose if he had other options. I think Lauren similarly feels stuck as well. In all her interviews she keeps saying how she was "shocked" that Si was interested in her, asked her to court, etc. I find that a little odd, because if they've known each other for a while, you'd think she'd have enough attraction and awareness towards him that it wouldn't come as such a surprise. Hopefully they grow to love one another, because if not, it's going to be a bumpy ride.

• Love 19
14 hours ago, Christina87 said:

I had that done, and it was wonderful! I got attacked for suggesting it last time, though, so be careful. I had a wonderful, quick experience at the dentist, honestly painless, and my gummy smile was gone! I feel so much more confident now...yes, it was cosmetic surgery, but I am absolutely proud I got it. 

How much does this procedure cost?

Maybe it's something they'll do after she and Josiah get some money for a story about their wedding from People, or something, but I doubt her family has much extra money for any cosmetic procedures. 

(And as others have said, she looks fine and unless it bothers her, who cares.  It's way less distracting than say, Josiah's hairline or morph-into-Joshley that's going on.)

• Love 6
19 minutes ago, madpsych78 said:

Are the Duggars as fundie royalty as the Bateses though? Couldn't Lauren have been set up with Trace, Nathan, or Lawson?

Something to think about! Doesn't Lauren's dad know Boob? Maybe Mr. Swanson is in "awe" of Boob's businesses? Who knows? 

• Love 1

I think it's a matter of money. The Bates family is more highly regarded in Gothard-land, but they don't have money. The Duggars have money. I think that Lauren's dad may have miscalculated in thinking that any of that would trickle down to her, but I think that's the thought process. 

• Love 9
38 minutes ago, cmr2014 said:

I think that Lauren's dad may have miscalculated in thinking that any of that would trickle down to her, but I think that's the thought process. 

Or that the Duggar fame would somehow enhance his ministry.

• Love 4
22 hours ago, Portia said:

To Lauren, if you're reading this....

used-to-think-there-was-just-fat-and-skinny-but-9412263.png

So true. I'd much rather see someone own their gummy smile or receding hairline.

[I went to a department store makeup counter once to buy something. I was invited back for advice on my eyebrows. I walked away wondering what the hell is wrong with my eyebrows?!]

• Love 20

Lauren is absolutely fine appearance wise.  I know people have to find something to snark about but she’s so young that she hasn’t even fully grown into her face (or gums) yet.  She looks a lot less awkward than I did at 17/18 years old, but I still hope these teenage girls have been advised not to read any of the comments out there about them. 

Edited by Spencer Hastings
  • Love 21
On 4/23/2018 at 8:46 PM, madpsych78 said:

Are the Duggars as fundie royalty as the Bateses though? Couldn't Lauren have been set up with Trace, Nathan, or Lawson?

I don't as much about the Bates, but I think the Bates do things differently in terms of courtships/dating, etc.. One thing that has always been true about the Bates is the young people get out more and meet people. They're meeting people in their bubble, but they have more social connections more than the Duggars and getting out more gives them more opportunities to find their own spouse. I tend to think they meet people, who they then decide to court instead being set-up. I may be wrong and Gil and Kelly still tell their kids who to court, but it doesn't seem like the matches are arranged. (And yes, I'm aware some of the Duggar matches like Jeremy and Jinger seem to be mutual friends, but all of those boys seem to have had arranged relationships.)

Edited by Temperance
  • Love 2
2 hours ago, Happyfatchick said:

I mean, not that I want to say or ask any of that, but if I did, this is the right place.  Realistically, the people we skewer can easily find much worse snark than they see here.  This is sort of “snark-lite” in comparison.  We are kind of respectfully snarkish.

I used to think this site was respectively snarky, but I have felt a lot of real hate from some things posted on this site

I really do hope the people snarked about don’t read these forums

I really do feel for their non existent education and limited opportunities. It just isn’t easy for most people to leave what has been drilled into them behind and start living differently, I was almost 40 before I recognised I could do things differently to my upbringing, and I still find it challenging to let go, so I just can’t call people dumb or stupid when I know how hard it is to overcome a childhood that isnt ideal 

I’ve posted things on here that I’ve then gone away and reflected on and  wished I hadn’t mainly because it just too far from snark lite 

• Love 14

The posting guidelines for 19 Kids are the same here in Counting On. Specifically: Snark the show and its participants, not your fellow posters. The following are frowned upon: lecturing, being rude or dismissive, verbally attacking, etc. Do not shame people for holding an opinion, whether they're in the minority or the majority here. And don't forget about the Ignore option. Thank you.

• Love 7
On 4/23/2018 at 1:53 PM, MyPeopleAreNordic said:

How much does this procedure cost?

Maybe it's something they'll do after she and Josiah get some money for a story about their wedding from People, or something, but I doubt her family has much extra money for any cosmetic procedures. 

(And as others have said, she looks fine and unless it bothers her, who cares.  It's way less distracting than say, Josiah's hairline or morph-into-Joshley that's going on.)

Luckily it was free for me, because my dad is a dentist. ? However, I don't think it's astronomical! I personally felt really self-conscious about my smile, but mine was way gummier than Lauren's. I think she is a lovely young lady! If it does bother her, she's lucky that we have this surgery available now, and if it doesn't, she is beautiful either way. Just as long as she is comfortable, that's what matters!

On 4/22/2018 at 11:49 PM, cmr2014 said:

I have to agree with you. I think that the least of Lauren's problems is her gummy smile (personally, I think she's very attractive and I find her gummy smile far less off-putting than Jill's gummy smile, but that's just my opinion).

Lauren's actual problem is that she's a member of a cult, and she's about to marry another member of a cult without any real thought-process going in to this decision. She's a young woman who hasn't really considered any of her options (because she doesn't believe that she has any), and is going to make a life-altering decision based on very limited information. Her future husband may very well be gay (and she may know that and think that she is saving him from hell). She has no way of knowing now how being married to a gay man might affect her future life, her sense of self, and her confidence in her own sexuality.

As I've said about the others, I wish them the best, but I see rough seas ahead for them.

THIS. I dated a gay guy when I was younger (it's easy to meet guys in the closet when you're a musician), and it absolutely crushed my self esteem! I had to go to therapy. Being constantly rejected by your partner, especially as a woman, is agonizing on a level you don't understand until you go through it. I would never wish this on someone long term!

• Love 10
9 minutes ago, Christina87 said:

THIS. I dated a gay guy when I was younger (it's easy to meet guys in the closet when you're a musician), and it absolutely crushed my self esteem! I had to go to therapy. Being constantly rejected by your partner, especially as a woman, is agonizing on a level you don't understand until you go through it. I would never wish this on someone long term!

I can only imagine.  In your case, though, you didn't marry him and you had the benefit of therapy  

• Love 3
Just now, lookeyloo said:

I can only imagine.  In your case, though, you didn't marry him and you had the benefit of therapy  

Exactly!!!! I really can't imagine what it would be like to have no way out. If she really likes Josiah as a person, she could still be in his life. I became friends with that guy years later, when he apologized and said he'd had really conflicting emotions about being gay. Now he is my gay friend! He almost seems like a different person now that he has worked his issues out, and we cheer each others' love lives on! It's too bad that coming out will never be an option for Josiah if he is in fact gay, because he's in a cult that views it as worse than death. It's a long, long sentence for both of them, but I feel for lauren most because she will potentially be living with someone she is attracted to, but having a celibate life. This may change once a year or so just to keep the baby train going, if they choose to have a large brood, but she could potentially be neglected the rest of the year. At eighteen, she is nowhere near ready to make that decision! Being a nun would actually be preferable, because you aren't sharing a bed every night with a guy you find attractive. 

• Love 14