Type keyword(s) to search

Josiah and Lauren: He Has To Marry Somebody

• Start Topic

4 hours ago, doodlebug said:

All the Duggars have their formal photos posed in the middle of a patch of weeds; it's become a tradition.  Lauren really needs to ditch the hat; it doesn't suit her and the more I see it, the less I like it.

The Bates also like their formal photos in the middle of a patch of weeds.

• LOL 2
  • Love 4
12 minutes ago, DangerousMinds said:

I guess she doesn’t realize that’s a majority lesbian thing 🤣.

I have not heard that.  I know the basic outline of the aesthetic, and also that it's been around for centuries,  and Taylor Swift dabbled in it for her latest album,  but not the lesbian connection.   

• Love 5
1 hour ago, Ohiopirate02 said:

I have not heard that.  I know the basic outline of the aesthetic, and also that it's been around for centuries,  and Taylor Swift dabbled in it for her latest album,  but not the lesbian connection.   

From Wikipedia:

Cottagecore has become a subculture of the LGBT and particularly the lesbian and female bisexual community, stemming from the drive for an escape from heteronormative society. Cottagecore videos of LGBT women performing tasks like baking bread, embroidering, and thrifting to calming music have gone viral on social media app TikTok. Some proponents of cottagecore report wishing to reclaim non-sexual ideas and images of intimacy and togetherness – as one Reddit user explains, "cottagecore sees love as a connection between two souls."[6]

• Useful 9
  • Love 3
48 minutes ago, louannems said:

I won't lie...I do find the cottage core aesthetic pretty visually appealing.

• Love 12
1 minute ago, not you again said:

We also don't have ANY food delivery or grocery delivery service, no Uber/Lyft/taxi, and spotty cell phone reception.  If we're making our own food, it's because we have to.

I make 95% of our food myself because I like to, but no one could possibly take a photo of me doing it and come away with anything other than a disaster. Even after 35 years of cooking, I still manage to be the person who destroys the kitchen just trying to boil water. My end results are generally pretty good - sometimes downright impressive - but there's hardly a clean spot at that point to place the food to take a photo.

• LOL 13
  • Love 9
6 hours ago, not you again said:

Third, I wonder if all these folks pining for simple country living are aware that there's very little internet out here.  🤣

This made me laugh so hard because it is true. In general, I tend to find the Pinterest aesthetic of country living . . . not very reflective of reality. 

• LOL 2
  • Love 11
2 hours ago, Zella said:

This made me laugh so hard because it is true. In general, I tend to find the Pinterest aesthetic of country living . . . not very reflective of reality. 

The bugs, the amphibians,  the reptiles,  and the rodents sure do make country living something special.   I don't know if the pretty, Instagram pictures are worth the bug bites.  

• LOL 10
8 hours ago, Ohiopirate02 said:

The bugs, the amphibians,  the reptiles,  and the rodents sure do make country living something special.   I don't know if the pretty, Instagram pictures are worth the bug bites.  

I suppose its better than sitting dangerously close to the edge of a cliff. So there's that. 🤔😁

• LOL 4
55 minutes ago, not you again said:

And the smells!  They fertilize pastures around here with chicken litter.  😳

That's a smell you don't soon forget, especially when it's baking under the summer sun! 🤣

Large poultry farms are one of the biggest industries in my rural Arkansas county. Anyone who's been in the area for any length of time knows not to buy land too close to one precisely because of the smell. 

To bring it back to the Duggars, as someone who actually lives in the country, one of the things about them that really pisses me off is the way they pretend they are out in the woods when they're not. It is nowhere near the most toxic thing they do, but it just makes me so angry. 

• Love 9
25 minutes ago, Zella said:

That's a smell you don't soon forget, especially when it's baking under the summer sun! 🤣

Large poultry farms are one of the biggest industries in my rural Arkansas county. Anyone who's been in the area for any length of time knows not to buy land too close to one precisely because of the smell. 

To bring it back to the Duggars, as someone who actually lives in the country, one of the things about them that really pisses me off is the way they pretend they are out in the woods when they're not. It is nowhere near the most toxic thing they do, but it just makes me so angry. 

I can only speak for myself, but I like having someone who lives in Arkansas on these boards so we know the Duggars are full of shit.  Speaking of that, over on Reddit's FundieSnark page they make fun of a fundie who bought a dilapidated house in Ohio and tries to make it look like she is living out in the country on her Instagram.  The reality is she and her husband bought the worst house on a suburban street.  

• Useful 1
  • LOL 8
  • Love 10
8 minutes ago, Ohiopirate02 said:

I can only speak for myself, but I like having someone who lives in Arkansas on these boards so we know the Duggars are full of shit.  Speaking of that, over on Reddit's FundieSnark page they make fun of a fundie who bought a dilapidated house in Ohio and tries to make it look like she is living out in the country on her Instagram.  The reality is she and her husband bought the worst house on a suburban street.  

Aww thank you! 🙂 

That Ohio story is making me laugh so hard. 

• LOL 3
  • Love 6

Well I have to say I've never given Arkansas, and a few other states, much thought, other than where they are on the map and what their capital is, so it was easy for me to picture the entire state as a rural podunk state. In hindsight it feels a little foolish, but like @Ohiopirate02 said, its nice to have a poster that knows the area, filling us in on the NW part of the state.

• Love 10
8 minutes ago, GeeGolly said:

filling us in on the NW part of the state.

Yeah and one thing I really can't overstate enough is I know virtually nothing about the Delta parts of Arkansas other than driving through it periodically! It's just so different from the Ozarks geographically and culturally. I'm always interested in folks who talk about that side of the state because it is like new territory for me! If the Duggars lived in a more eastern or southern part of the state, I'd be a lot less able to talk about anything. Then again, I'd probably be less interested. The whole reason I even started following their exploits is I was just annoyed they were in my general area. 😂

• LOL 7
  • Love 10
1 hour ago, Ohiopirate02 said:

For a moment there I thought you were talking about the Rods.

• LOL 22

I just read an article about twins sisters who had boys a few years ago within 10 weeks of each other and just delivered baby girls within a couple hours of each other. Their obstetrician was the Bates ladies' whacky Doc - Dr Vick.

• Useful 3
On 11/12/2020 at 11:45 AM, Zella said:

Makes me think of a house we had, in Connecticut, back around 1996 or so. We had a gorgeous piece of property, but one side ran alongside a hayfield which was always fertilized with chicken manure in the Spring. Luckily, the worst of it only lasted a few days a year, but during that time, the stench was unbearable, and used to make our eyes water even indoors with all the windows closed. And the flies! We got so infested with flies every time. I think even they were trying to find a better place to breathe. The kids used to get harassed when they got on or off the school bus. 

So I guess it's not just Arkansas

Edited by Jynnan tonnix
  • Useful 2
  • LOL 4
2 hours ago, Jynnan tonnix said:

Makes me think of a house we had, in Connecticut, back around 1996 or so. We had a gorgeous piece of property, but one side ran alongside a hayfield which was always fertilized with chicken manure in the Spring. Luckily, the worst of it only lasted a few days a year, but during that time, the stench was unbearable, and used to make our eyes water even indoors with all the windows closed. And the flies! We got so infested with flies every time. I think even they were trying to find a better place to breathe. The kids used to get harassed when they got on or off the school bus. 

So I guess it's not just Arkansas

True. A school that hosted outdoor track meets in our area butted up against a farm. It was torture. Breath through the nose and smell it, or breath through the mouth and taste it. What I would have given for a mask back then. lol

• LOL 6
12 hours ago, PikaScrewChu said:

Man. SiRen is so boring we're not discussing Lauren's recent dgaf attitude and conversion to openly wearing PANTS??

After the initial flurry of interest of Jill and Jing wearing pants, people figured out it was a fashion choice and not a big declaration of independence or a sign that they were no longer in the cult. Okay, in fairness it's a breakaway from the Bill Gothard Rules of Life as to clothing styles. And for all I know JB and Meech are quietly freaking out that any Duggar/adjacent female wouldn't follow those rules. But they are also hamstrung because those are married wimmen and answer to their own husbands as headships, not JB (backed up by Meech). And yeah, Jill's since then gone more mainstream evangelical than fundie and Jing is doing whatever the hell her headship tells her. But still, I don't think the mere refusal to follow Bill Gothard's fashion dictates from the 1980's means more than that the woman in question has eyes and hasn't been completely living under a rock despite their headships' best efforts to keep them sequestered. ETA: Abbie wears pants (trousers/jeans) too; she also comes from an IBLP family and seems to be sticking with the cult.

Also, I'm not a Brit but I am enough of an Anglophile to know that for Brits, the word "pants" means UNDERPANTS. Yep underwear, skivvies, lingerie, lol. And "pants" in slang there means something worthless, or "rubbish." As in, "you're talking pants." Therefore, often when I read that the women who are Duggars or some other flavor of fundie, "don't ever wear pants," my mind goes straight to the obvious joke. Because, I'm 12. Same with Lauren "openly wearing PANTS." (I know, I need to get out more. But there are viruses out there.)

Edited by Jeeves
  • LOL 15
  • Love 4

Yep, "pants" are underwear.   Slacks/jeans/etc are "trousers". 

Today my mother said "panties."  I said "In all the decades I have been on this earth, I have only ever heard you say "underpants."  What in the Hell happened?" 

• LOL 11
2 hours ago, Jeeves said:

After the initial flurry of interest of Jill and Jing wearing pants, people figured out it was a fashion choice and not a big declaration of independence or a sign that they were no longer in the cult. Okay, in fairness it's a breakaway from the Bill Gothard Rules of Life as to clothing styles. And for all I know JB and Meech are quietly freaking out that any Duggar/adjacent female wouldn't follow those rules. But they are also hamstrung because those are married wimmen and answer to their own husbands as headships, not JB (backed up by Meech). And yeah, Jill's since then gone more mainstream evangelical than fundie and Jing is doing whatever the hell her headship tells her. But still, I don't think the mere refusal to follow Bill Gothard's fashion dictates from the 1980's means more than that the woman in question has eyes and hasn't been completely living under a rock despite their headships' best efforts to keep them sequestered. ETA: Abbie wears pants (trousers/jeans) too; she also comes from an IBLP family and seems to be sticking with the cult.

I think it's fair to say that there are degrees of pants-wearing in this family.

Anna and Kendra are the ones most likely to wear dresses/skirts, even at home. (Same with Michelle, of course.)

We've seen Joy, Jessa, and Jana wear something akin to sweats or pajama pants at home, but dresses/skirts only in public.

Jill, Jinger, Lauren, Abbie, and Claire have all worn pants in public. 

• Love 4
14 hours ago, Nysha said:

I missed where Lauren wore pants. Is it in the Duggar Fair pictures or later?

First sighting was at the "Jed and Jer abandoning their bachelor pad" watch party back in November. This was at the TTH. 

2bu34gcy2ry51.jpg

The weird part for me (although I shouldn't be surprised) is that Lauren seamlessly went into stylish jeans and pants. Jill and Jinger were wearing those oversized bulky jeans before getting into skinny jeans. 

While we shouldn't be overly surprised at this point, I always got the impression the Swansons were pretty strict on the dresses/skirts only like the Caldwells.

• Love 5
59 minutes ago, Westiepeach said:

I suspect they are not too fond of her either...

Well if Smuggar and Smuganna aren't fond of her, clearly she's the best of the bunch. 

I used to mock Lauren but I wonder if a lot of her fussiness and all that is due to being overwhelmed in huge settings and not wanting to put on performances. I mean I would be like why the fuck would I want to renew my vows for TV? That makes no sense, I just got married. Also the Duggars don't seem to have a concept of a "small" gathering. It has to be the majority of them or none at all. It has to be absolute chaos and I can't think of many people okay with that amount of chaos. 

• Love 18
19 minutes ago, PikaScrewChu said:

Well if Smuggar and Smuganna aren't fond of her, clearly she's the best of the bunch. 

I used to mock Lauren but I wonder if a lot of her fussiness and all that is due to being overwhelmed in huge settings and not wanting to put on performances. I mean I would be like why the fuck would I want to renew my vows for TV? That makes no sense, I just got married. Also the Duggars don't seem to have a concept of a "small" gathering. It has to be the majority of them or none at all. It has to be absolute chaos and I can't think of many people okay with that amount of chaos. 

I couldn't marry into a family like the Duggar's.  Too many expectations from too many people, and too much chaos.  I love most of my own relatives and most of my in-laws, but I like extended family as a PART of our lives, not as the CENTER of our lives.  Plus, we've always evenly divided our time between his relatives and mine.  I absolutely would not put up with a situation where his relatives were the top priority.  If his relatives had the attitude that they were better than others, I doubt I could sit through a meal with them, much less attend all kinds of pretend events tailored to showing off on television and social media.

I'm no fan of any Duggar or any Duggar spouse, but I could see where Lauren might find life as a Duggar extremely uncomfortable, even though she comes from a large family herself.  If she's genuinely unhappy with the Duggar clan, maybe she'll be one of the first to tell the outside world what really happens behind the scenes.  My guess is that it's a lot uglier than we suspect.

• Love 17

I think Lauren's default mode is woe is me miserable. She's only be happy if she married an only child and could be the new and only daughter. But she'd be Lauren's version of happy. Lauren's version of happy likely makes Eeyore look jubilant. 

• LOL 4
  • Love 4

2 hours ago, xwordfanatik said:

Lauren seems to have that pissy, smell-something-stinky look a lot.  I'd bet she hates the TTH, and most (if not all) of her in-laws.

2 hours ago, Westiepeach said:

I suspect they are not too fond of her either...

Or maybe Lauren is just an awful and disagreeable person, and was never going to get a husband unless it was an "unmarriageable" man. Maybe this was an arranged relationship.... desperation for her, punishment for him?

• Love 5
2 hours ago, Ljohnson1987 said:

I don't think that anyone is too fond of Lauren. I wonder what the siblings really think of who each other married. I'm sure they don't go gaga over every one of them. Like they seem to on the show. 

It seemed that people were interacting more with the other Swansons than they were with Lauren herself. I mean, Dwain was one of the judges of that pie contest!

Lauren is interesting because whatever "problem" she had she could have probably grown out of it if she had exposure to the wider world. Alas she was born into a cult that believes your uterus is going to crawl out and run away if it is not full before you can legally drink so... Marriage it is!

If Josiah was married off for any reason beyond that people were speculating about his sexuality I would be surprised. 

It's crazy thinking about it. They really do marry off their kids if they're a problem. 

That's bad.