Type keyword(s) to search

Josiah and Lauren: He Has To Marry Somebody

• Start Topic

@Catlyn, I remember that episode!  I love The Big Bang Theory.

At least AFF's dress was a prettier color, without that ridiculous insert to cover any hint of defrauding cleavage, that Michelle wore.  Why, oh why, couldn't Michelle have just bought a dress with a higher neckline?  

• Love 8
16 minutes ago, McManda said:

The shiny ribbon is what's wrong with that dress. It's way better (though still not something I'd wear) without the shiny ribbon to draw your eye down.

Plus they used the shiny material for the chest area so it's like a big sign of - LOOK!  These are my tits!  Talk about defrauding, or rather, making folks need brain bleach.

• Love 7
14 minutes ago, DragonFaerie said:

Plus they used the shiny material for the chest area so it's like a big sign of - LOOK!  These are my tits!  Talk about defrauding, or rather, making folks need brain bleach.

I think you guys are right and that if the dress had been done with a matte taffeta or something instead of the Very Shiny Material, it would not have been as terrible. It would still have been on MEchelle, though, so she would still have had to find a way to be Ostentatiously Modest just so we know how much better she is than the rest of us.

• Love 9
5 hours ago, ginger90 said:

This reminded me of a picture from the wedding. There is a member of the wedding party in a wheelchair. It could be the angle, I suppose, but it would have been nice if he were positioned a bit better. 

7F10DAF2-5D7B-4975-B46A-08CCFB26EBB0.jpeg

Austin and the bridesmaids look exhausted. 

2 hours ago, Fuzzysox said:

After she has a positive pregnancy test of course!

Any day now!

On 7/22/2018 at 7:11 PM, madpsych78 said:

Good catch. Even JB and Michelle had a "moment" with Joe at his wedding (granted, it may have been for the show) and JB has certainly had moments with his daughters. Maybe when TLC plays the Josiah/Lauren wedding two more times (lol, because they ended up showing JoKen wedding three times) they will show a scene with JB/Michelle has a "heartfelt" scene with Josiah.

The thing about the Tin Man dress was that it was a nice dress to start, but Michelle's alterations were not especially flattering. It looked a lot better when Kelly Bates wore it.

k3q0727tvf811.jpg

I think you're being overly-generous madpsych78. This is a better picture, but Kelly is walking and the picture is taken at an angle, so you're not get the full-frontal horror show that J'chelle is presenting. 

To me, it's 100 different kinds of hideous. It's especially hideous on J'chelle because she's short and busty -- Tim Gunn would say that the proportions are all wrong for her. In fact, the entire thing is was Tim Gunn would call "a lot of look" with the shiny material, the jacket, the "modesty" panel, and the multi-colored, scalloped pleats(?). Then, there's the long frizzy hair, AND there's the corsage, AND there's the jewelry, AND there's the blingy band below the bosom.

J'chelle simply has no ability to put herself together, and no interest in asking for or accepting advice. There are 500 bridal magazines in every drug store -- many of them have suggestions for MOTB. There are professional women at the bridal stores where they go to buy the gowns. These women know what looks good on different body types, and deal with people looking in a lot of different price ranges. I'm sure that there is someone who could help her (Jesus, if she showed up at my store with that photo, I'd make it my personal mission to make sure she looked good the next time she was MOTB!).

• Love 17

Why would you play games (at all, but ...) during or immediately following the ceremony? They're still on the stage they got married on. Do that shit at the reception if you must so people can pay attention if they want (or sneak out to the bar!).

• Love 7
(edited)
3 minutes ago, cmr2014 said:

J’chelle simply has no ability to put herself together, and no interest in asking for or accepting advice. 

We know where Jill gets it from!  

Edited by awaken
  • Love 8
40 minutes ago, cmr2014 said:

J'chelle simply has no ability to put herself together, and no interest in asking for or accepting advice. There are 500 bridal magazines in every drug store -- many of them have suggestions for MOTB. There are professional women at the bridal stores where they go to buy the gowns.

The problem in buying this dress is that Michelle probably picked it up at Ross, TJ Maxx, or another discount store.  They had quite a few where I live. I was looking for a dressy dress around the same time Michelle would have been looking and that dress or it's cousins was everywhere including the Macy's sale rack.  It wasn't in the bridal shops though.  I tried it on and shuddered as I quickly got rid of it.  It looked so much better on the hanger than on a body.  I have Michelle's body shape and it was obvious it was bad.  She seems to simply not to accurately see the image in the mirror.  Michelle needs to shop with someone with sense and taste.

• Love 10
51 minutes ago, Ijustwantsomechips said:

I wonder if the groomsman in the wheelchair in th SiRen affair is the same person in the picture with MOTY in the tin man dress?  

I did a search for Me'chelle at daughters wedding and I think she wore the tin man dress at Jill's wedding.  A different photo showed her in that dress next to Derelick's mom, Cathy, who was in a wheelchair at the time.  Also Kelly Bates - those shoes - shudder.  But then my memory says, was Cathy able to come to the wedding or were the photos taken at a different time.  Hmm.

8 hours ago, Heathen said:

I've heard of several weddings where guests were invited to the reception but NOT the ceremony itself. Now that's tacky. One was a fundie-lite/hypocrite wedding where the reception was a few weeks later, post-honeymoon. The other was a regular reception-following-ceremony wedding. 

I would not go to a wedding where I was invited to one or the other but not both. No way. I don't mind if the food isn't that great or the reception is blah. But I do mind being treated solely as a bearer of gifts. 

Back on topic: I wonder what food the Josiahs had at their reception. (I'm hungry.) 

I totally understand the invitation to the reception but not the wedding.  They wanted to invite their friends to the celebration party, but wanted a private ceremony.   A lot of people only attend the wedding so they can then attend the reception. 

I’d be perfectly fine with that. It’s the other- come to the wedding, bring a gift - but you aren’t good enough to come to the party afterwards that would bug me. I’ll just stay home

• Love 11

A good point was made here about this family having the money for a fleet of aircraft, flying themselves around the country at the drop of a hat, etc. but they don't seem to have the money for decent hot and cold appetizers and SOME KIND of real food at their wedding receptions? Why invite 1000 people and do a wedding 'badly'? I'm sure they could do better for 600 people. It just goes to prove my theory that the Duggars and the like are all about  quantity, not quality.

• Love 18
12 hours ago, DragonFaerie said:

Also Kelly Bates - those shoes - shudder.

Yes!  The shoes! Why?  Michelle wore some sad beige flats with the pink dress monstrosity to Josiah's wedding too.  Admittedly they were a step up from her Crocs, but still...

Some women can't wear heels.  I get it- my limit is 2 inches but I am more comfortable in 1.5 inches.  But you can get a dressy shoe with a lower heel and still look put together.  And honestly, I find that a tiny wedge is more comfortable than a pancake flat sole.  

It seems that with these women the "season of life" that comes after pumping out babies is "frump".

• Love 10
22 hours ago, DaisyDuke said:

I’m sorry but IMHO that is beyond tacky 

I am of the opinion if I don't rate a reception invite I am not getting dressed up and buying you a present so I can sit in a church and watch your vows for 30 minutes.  When I was 10 there was such a wedding.  After the wedding I stayed home and babysat some of the kids that also weren't invited to the reception.  I was offended at 10.

• Love 23

And still nothing from the honeymoon other than the one horrific car video.  Hmmmm.  Are they just hoping everyone will forget about them between Jinger having Felicity and John David announcing his engagement?  

• Love 5
On 7/24/2018 at 12:35 PM, Loves2Dance said:

I went to a wedding once where an invite to the wedding didn't equal an invite to the reception. I had no idea what I was walking into, but when you went from the wedding area to the reception area you had to find your name. If you didn't have a name, you weren't invited in. Those invited in got a full 3 course meal. It caused A LOT of controversy. But it may be something the Duggars should consider---with warnings of course. If it's too much to feed your guests, cut it down. 

That’s just rude af IMO.

• Love 9
18 hours ago, mythoughtis said:

I totally understand the invitation to the reception but not the wedding.  They wanted to invite their friends to the celebration party, but wanted a private ceremony.   A lot of people only attend the wedding so they can then attend the reception. 

I’d be perfectly fine with that. It’s the other- come to the wedding, bring a gift - but you aren’t good enough to come to the party afterwards that would bug me. I’ll just stay home

That's how we did it.  Private ceremony at Mr. Xword's home, with parents and MOH and BM.  Then, a reception for friends and extended family.  It worked for us.

• Love 6
(edited)
8 hours ago, xwordfanatik said:

That's how we did it.  Private ceremony at Mr. Xword's home, with parents and MOH and BM.  Then, a reception for friends and extended family.  It worked for us.

I guess my family comes from more of the "old country" ways...Not that their religiosity rubbed off on me, but the way it was done among pretty much everyone they were acquainted with, and the way my own wedding was, the big crowd, whether they had any sort of formal invite or not (and we didn't send formal invites) came to the church because that was the "important" part.  It was just understood that receptions were expensive, and people didn't really expect an invite to them unless they were really close, but the church service/ceremony was the actual wedding, and something they were honored to witness. Once we had that out of the way, the reception was just gravy for immediate family and a handful of intimate friends. There was no expectation that anyone who just came to the church wedding would give a gift, though a number of them did. 

I have the feeling that this is very different from the norm, though in retrospect I was just trying to have as simple a wedding as I could get away with.

Edited by Jynnan tonnix
  • Love 8
22 hours ago, McManda said:

Why would you play games (at all, but ...) during or immediately following the ceremony? They're still on the stage they got married on. Do that shit at the reception if you must so people can pay attention if they want (or sneak out to the bar!).

That was the reception. 

• Love 3
21 hours ago, mythoughtis said:

This is pretty standard for us too. Many times the celebratory reception/banquet didn't happen until weeks or months after the actual ceremony!

Receptions are big things where extended friends and family are invited, and the wedding itself is just for close family. (Uh, it's kind of the equivalent of wake/viewing vs. burial when it comes to funerals, I guess? Viewing for everyone; burial just  for immediate family.)

I was always just grateful not to have to sit through boring church (or whatever) vows.

• Love 2
9 hours ago, 3 is enough said:

Yes!  The shoes! Why?  Michelle wore some sad beige flats with the pink dress monstrosity to Josiah's wedding too.  Admittedly they were a step up from her Crocs, but still...

Some women can't wear heels.  I get it- my limit is 2 inches but I am more comfortable in 1.5 inches.  But you can get a dressy shoe with a lower heel and still look put together.  And honestly, I find that a tiny wedge is more comfortable than a pancake flat sole.  

It seems that with these women the "season of life" that comes after pumping out babies is "frump".

Then why is Jill to "frump" already? ?

• Love 5
5 hours ago, DragonFaerie said:

And still nothing from the honeymoon other than the one horrific car video.  Hmmmm.  Are they just hoping everyone will forget about them between Jinger having Felicity and John David announcing his engagement?  

Forget about who? Lol. Off to the prayer closet.

• Love 1

I had a friend who got married where the ceremony was only a handful of close relatives and the reception was for everyone because her husband has anxiety and was really upset just thinking of trying to say his vows in front of so many people. They didn't want the poor guy to have a panic attack during the wedding, so they arranged it to where it was only the nearest and dearest people but everyone got to celebrate. I didn't get to go to the reception because of other stuff that came up, but I thought that was completely understandable.

I think it really boils down to intent. In my friend's case, they legitimately were not trying to exclude people or be greedy. 

• Love 8
On 7/2/2018 at 12:36 PM, Temperance said:

@Lunera thank you for explaining the name.  As to whether Lauren is of hispanic/spanish descent, (I think that was what was being asked) it's hard to say for sure. It's possible she has/had a Spanish grandparent/great-grandparent.  America is a melting pot and people intermarry.  

Her grandmother is a naturalized American citizen from El Salvador. Her grandfather was a Marine and I believe they met while he was serving in El Salvador. The grandmother and mother also have the middle name “Milagro” like Lauren. 

• Love 3
(edited)
15 minutes ago, Teacherlady said:

Her grandmother is a naturalized American citizen from El Salvador. Her grandfather was a Marine and I believe they met while he was serving in El Salvador. The grandmother and mother also have the middle name “Milagro” like Lauren. 

Was this mentioned during the show (I don't watch)? Editing to ask for the source of this info.

Edited by Temperance
(edited)

Just watched the wedding on-demand - I haven't been keeping up with Josiah and Lauren except a few pictures/articles linked from other posters here; so I will very much call this a "preliminary" judgement and say that I'm more than willing to change it or say I was wrong in the future but for now.............I sort of like Lauren.  From what I saw she's actually fully verbal and can speak intelligently .  She can say an entire paragraphs worth of thoughts without using "like", "um" or "and, so yeah" twenty seven times or hesitating every third word.  And she smiled and laughed but I didn't hear any childish giggling or see a simpering sort of attitude from her.  I'm going to reserve negative judgement for now I think - I get what everyone is saying asking whether Josiah was having regrets, he certainly was sweating up a storm as she came down the aisle - but I noticed a lot of people fanning themselves and wondered about the general temp in the church  (AC out or low? Camera lights overheating the space?), other times he seemed totally at ease, he even called Lauren's Dad by his first name at one point.  And regrets or not, thinking of Marjorie or not he certainly fully went for it with that first kiss!

As for the rest - the on demand didn't cover the reception so waiting for the official TLC episode for that.  Played "spot the outcasts" but couldn't find Josh, Jill or Derrick in the audience although I'm sure they were there.  I thought Kendra looked really good for being barely a month postpartum.  Austin looked bored and uninterested at the wedding and in the few reception pictures I saw - not sure if he has male resting bitch face or if he's just so smug and full of himself he feels above all of this stuff; I'm leaning towards both (the guy just annoys me).

Edited by sigmaforce86
  • Love 5
8 hours ago, sigmaforce86 said:

Just watched the wedding on-demand - I haven't been keeping up with Josiah and Lauren except a few pictures/articles linked from other posters here; so I will very much call this a "preliminary" judgement and say that I'm more than willing to change it or say I was wrong in the future but for now.............I sort of like Lauren.  From what I saw she's actually fully verbal and can speak intelligently .  She can say an entire paragraphs worth of thoughts without using "like", "um" or "and, so yeah" twenty seven times or hesitating every third word.  And she smiled and laughed but I didn't hear any childish giggling or see a simpering sort of attitude from her.  I'm going to reserve negative judgement for now I think - I get what everyone is saying asking whether Josiah was having regrets, he certainly was sweating up a storm as she came down the aisle - but I noticed a lot of people fanning themselves and wondered about the general temp in the church  (AC out or low? Camera lights overheating the space?), other times he seemed totally at ease, he even called Lauren's Dad by his first name at one point.  And regrets or not, thinking of Marjorie or not he certainly fully went for it with that first kiss!

As for the rest - the on demand didn't cover the reception so waiting for the official TLC episode for that.  Played "spot the outcasts" but couldn't find Josh, Jill or Derrick in the audience although I'm sure they were there.  I thought Kendra looked really good for being barely a month postpartum.  Austin looked bored and uninterested at the wedding and in the few reception pictures I saw - not sure if he has male resting bitch face or if he's just so smug and full of himself he feels above all of this stuff; I'm leaning towards both (the guy just annoys me).

Jilly Muffin took a video while at the reception and Austin was on his phone playing around, but keeping it below table level so people couldn't see what he was doing. I think he was very bored. 

(edited)
4 hours ago, Loves2Dance said:

Jilly Muffin took a video while at the reception and Austin was on his phone playing around, but keeping it below table level so people couldn't see what he was doing. I think he was very bored. 

Based on the videos and pictures I saw, I thought all the guests looked bored at the reception. You got the vibe everyone was subtly checking the time on their cell phones to see how much longer they had to sit there before they could bail without looking rude. 

I feel bad for Lauren, because it seems like what should've been special moments in her life were a complete disappointment. The Duggars threw her a crappy bridal shower, which was overshadowed by Garrett's birth. The wedding featured a sullen groom and a group of in-laws who could barely muster passing interest, and her post-wedding video wasn't exactly the image of marital bliss. Now her honeymoon isn't even over and she's already old news because JD and Abbie are the new "it" couple. The poor kid's only 19 and it's all downhill from here.

Edited by BitterApple
  • Love 20

I don’t pity them for having a sucky reception.  If they didn’t think they were oh so special better than everyone else Jesus loves me more because I’m so devout and holy type of Christians they would have had  music and maybe actual wine for a toast (although the bride is too young to drink).  If you insist on throwing huge parties but take the essential party elements out this is what happens.  No music, no dancing, no alcohol, no karaoke, no good conversation, possibly no good meal, no good wedding cake (a deal breaker for me).   Other than stupid games, what entertainment could there be?  

• Love 13
20 minutes ago, Ijustwantsomechips said:

I don’t pity them for having a sucky reception.  If they didn’t thinOther than stupid games, what entertainment could there be?  

And then to top it off, only the bridal party was playing. There were no activities for guests or any way to allow them to participate. The Bateseses did the same thing with Alyssa's first baby shower and the guests looked semi-comatose when the camera panned to the room. I don't think they quite understand the concept of entertainment and fun. 

• Love 8

Even though I was an 18 year old bride, we had champagne at my wedding reception (courtesy of my in-laws, who had purchased it for my brother-in-law's wedding 2 months prior,) but his wife's Southern Baptist parents wouldn't allow it.  The champagne fountain they rented for us was pretty, but it kind of took the bubbles out of the bubbly.  Hey, at least it was alcoholic and a nice touch to our inexpensive wedding.

Heathens that we were, Mr. Xword and I had carnal knowledge of one another pre-wedding, as well.  I know this isn't their thread, but is it wrong of me to hope that JD and Abbie have done more than side-hugs and hand-holding?

Si and Lauren?  I wonder how much of their wedding and reception we'll see.  She has to be pregnant by now.

• Love 10
18 minutes ago, xwordfanatik said:

I know this isn't their thread, but is it wrong of me to hope that JD and Abbie have done more than side-hugs and hand-holding?

I get the impression that their kiss at the altar will not be their first.  They just seem very comfortable and relaxed about touching each other.

• Love 15
20 hours ago, Ijustwantsomechips said:

I don’t pity them for having a sucky reception.  If they didn’t think they were oh so special better than everyone else Jesus loves me more because I’m so devout and holy type of Christians they would have had  music and maybe actual wine for a toast (although the bride is too young to drink).  If you insist on throwing huge parties but take the essential party elements out this is what happens.  No music, no dancing, no alcohol, no karaoke, no good conversation, possibly no good meal, no good wedding cake (a deal breaker for me).   Other than stupid games, what entertainment could there be?  

There are a lot of these kind of wedding receptions in the Fundie community, imo. I've attended my fair share of them, but, with most of the guests, it's expected, because that's just what they have always known.  Some do have excellent food though and actually provide a sit down meal, but, it's not that common for the younger couples.  And, when the receptions are held on church premises, they don't allow the alcohol, dancing or rowdy music.  lol  I saw a wedding on one of those tv shows that they try to guess how much was spent and the wedding venue was so nice.  When the guests arrived, they were handed a complimentary cocktail, so they could relax waiting for the ceremony to begin! I like that idea.  lol 

• Love 1

Didn't one of the other couples do that?  Go somewhere in the US for a few days then go to Europe?  Could have been Joy and Austin.

I think they like the idea of a few days of privacy before the "real honeymoon" which involves a film crew.

Edited by 3 is enough
  • Love 1
6 hours ago, 3 is enough said:

Didn't one of the other couples do that?  Go somewhere in the US for a few days then go to Europe?  Could have been Joy and Austin.

I think they like the idea of a few days of privacy before the "real honeymoon" which involves a film crew.

Joy and Austin went to Switzerland (where they also speak German), and Ben and Jessa went to France. 

I always figured the local honeymoon was so they had somewhere to immediately boink since these couples (unlike most of the rest of us) have saved everything for marriage.

• Love 5

We can't expect a newly married guy who has never even masturbated (or so they would have everyone believe) to not relieve his blue balls immediately after saying "I do."

Better to marry someone you've never been alone with, than to have had sex before the blessed ceremony in front of everyone on earth.  Jeez Louise.

• Love 9
25 minutes ago, xwordfanatik said:

We can't expect a newly married guy who has never even masturbated (or so they would have everyone believe) to not relieve his blue balls immediately after saying "I do."

Better to marry someone you've never been alone with, than to have had sex before the blessed ceremony in front of everyone on earth.  Jeez Louise.

If that's the case then Jim Boob has 7 sexually frustrated young men living all together in a dorm room in the TTH!  That is sick!

• Love 8