Type keyword(s) to search

S36.E06: Fate is the Homie

Whimsy
  • Start Topic

12 minutes ago, GenerationX said:

Random thoughts on episode 6 "James at 15"

Upvote for that awesome reference alone.  I thought I was the only one who remembered that show.

13 minutes ago, GenerationX said:

When Michael finally gets voted out at his zillionth tribal, the producers will make him an ornament on Ghost Island.

I have no idea how this season ends up for him, but I can already tell they love him and he will be back. Count on it.

12 minutes ago, PaperTree said:

My guess is Angela told him she was voting James before tribal.

I agree. That's most likely the way it went down.

• Love 5

Wait! Did Ghost Island not make the swap? How is this possible? Ghost Island is such an interesting character. <sarcasm> OMG! At least, have the tribes go to two and send someone to useless Ghost Island. A twist with no impact on anyone or anything. This alone has made this season very low in my Power Rankings. Which is bad because were only 5 Episodes in.  It’s great seeing Chris’s twin play this season. You know his thing, right? His ego. OMG! This guy has no clue how he comes off. At least. Bradley is in on the joke. Chris is the joke. I’m dying to know what his reaction to,watching himself? He probably thinks it great but probably doesn’t realize the show is making a bigger tool then possible. Also, Ghost Island where are you? Did you sink into the ocean in Fiji? Epic fail.

BTW! Chris still hasn't been to Tribal Council, right? Who am I to speak ill of him. He’s obviously doing some thing right. Pretty amazing statistics. Has someone gone longer? Who holds the record without going to a Tribal Council the longest?

Edited by ByaNose
  • Love 6
7 minutes ago, ByaNose said:

Wait! Did Ghost Island not make the swap? How is this possible? Ghost Island is such an interesting character. <sarcasm> OMG! At least, have the tribes go to two and send someone to useless Ghost Island. A twist with no impact on anyone or anything. This alone has made this season very low in my Power Rankings. Which is bad because were only 5 Episodes in.  It’s great seeing Chris’s twin play this season. You know his thing, right? His ego. OMG! This guy has no clue how he comes off. At least. Bradley is in on the joke. Chris is the joke. I’m dying to know what his reaction to,watching himself? He probably thinks it great but probably doesn’t realize the show is making a bigger tool then possible. Also, Ghost Island where are you? Did you sink into the ocean in Fiji? Epic fail.

BTW! Chris still hasn't been to Tribal Council, right? Who am I to speak ill of him. He’s obviously doing some thing right. Pretty amazing statistics. Has someone gone longer? Who holds the record without going to a Tribal Council the longest?

Joe and Keith didn't go to TC until day 19 in Cambodia, which I think is the record.

If this season wasn't specifically named Ghost Island, I would assume that we were taking another page out of the Big Brother handbook.  For those that don't watch that show (and sometimes I wonder why I do, but summer isn't the same without it), they've often had twists that they bail on early on or half way through the season.  But TPTB probably haven't had the right people they want to shower their advantages and idols on sent to Ghost Island yet.  Jacob got lucky for being the first guy there, and he got something useless to him.

• Love 6
4 minutes ago, LadyChatts said:

Joe and Keith didn't go to TC until day 19 in Cambodia, which I think is the record.

If this season wasn't specifically named Ghost Island, I would assume that we were taking another page out of the Big Brother handbook.  For those that don't watch that show (and sometimes I wonder why I do, but summer isn't the same without it), they've often had twists that they bail on early on or half way through the season.  But TPTB probably haven't had the right people they want to shower their advantages and idols on sent to Ghost Island yet.  Jacob got lucky for being the first guy there, and he got something useless to him.

Michele and Nick in Kaoh Rong hold the record. They avoided going to tribal council for 22 days. Nick was then voted out.

Edited by LanceM
  • Love 6
Just now, LadyChatts said:

BB is my dirty little secret. I sort of hate it but it does get me through the summer. Thanks for the Tribal Council stat. Can you imagine if & when Chris goes to Tribal Council? He’ll be all like, “ Wow! You guys set all these torches and the fire ? pit for me?!” LOL!!!!!

• Love 7
5 minutes ago, ByaNose said:

This alone has made this season very low in my Power Rankings. Which is bad because were only 5 Episodes in.

Oh deer gahd... this spectacular bust (no Des pun intended) of a season is only FIVE episodes in?? It feels like it's been on forever. Just what we needed was another "shakeup" when I still barely have a handle on who is there let alone their names. They are just desperate to get something out of this cast of losers aren't they? And they seem to be dropping "themes" quicker than Big Brother... ya know that thing we said we were doing all season? Well, we're done with it. *rolls eyes*

Oh, I played volleyball too, won everything we could, ya know. Just for the record. And yeah I'm a model. Pretty good at that too, ya know, I'm signed in multiple cities. He really is Mr. Anything You Can Do I Can Do Better (and have, and will let you know about it). He's such a shell of a human being, he's got like no substance just all these things he will let you know he is awesome at. Did you know he was a pitcher too?

• Love 13

Man, I used to think that I liked Chris, but jeez, he's annoying.

But then, Dom and Bradley are also annoying.

Oh, please, Libby is nothing like Parvati.

Really, Desiree?  That was the worst moment of your life?  How lucky for you.

Why James?  Don't understand that.

• Love 5

In thinking about Naviti strong, the only ones who I think truly buy into that mentality are Kellyn/Brad/Des/Sebastián (because he seems too clueless to think on his own).  I truly believe Des, if outnumbered, would totally flip.  Chelsea and Angela both probably went along with their respective Naviti tribemates because they felt they had to.  I think Chelsea has more game going on than they are showing, which is kind of disappointing.

Come merge time, I think those believing in the power of purple are in for a rude awakeneing.  I had to laugh when Kellyn said tonight she didn’t understand why Chris and Dom couldn’t get along for a few votes for the sake of Naviti.  How dare they play their own game!  Both know that the other is out for them, and no doubt will be looking for allies.  Malolo might actually get a reprieve at the merge.

Edited by LadyChatts
  • Love 2

Like I said late last year: I'm so ambivalent about this season, it barely hurts.

Hey, we get one more swap, this time going to three teams! And Ghost Island doesn't get used, even though the producers made a Big Honking Deal about the concept, and they got at least ten idols tied to past miscues, and they're itching to show them all over again. Sadly, I don't think they're going to use the idol JT gave to Russell in S20, since the Heinous Hobbit didn't completely fuck up playing it. I know Erik's at peace with his S16 decision; he's been doing cartoons on running seasons, and here's the first one about Ghost Island. That's his ghost next to James' tormented specter, right?

Dang, Desiree has lungs. Of course, given that most of the challenges have different components, "solving puzzles blindfolded" negates the "getting your tribe to find stuff and not purposely make them bonk into stuff."

Man, doesn't matter who plays under the Monolo banner, does it? You could take the Koror tribe straight from S10 and give them Monolo buffs. Within a week, three of them would be voted out (including Tom), there would be more breakdowns, and Ian would've tried to hang himself. Of course, it doesn't work because he's too damn tall. Oh, and this would be a Koror tribe without Willard and Janu.

9 hours ago, Haleth said:

Is this the worst cast ever?  Manoman, they are all horrible people.  Except maybe James, who was gracious about being booted.

I'd consider them for "Most Boring." Is it better to feel rage at assholes on the show, as opposed to barely anything?

9 hours ago, Straycat80 said:

Jeff might as well have just said that Monolo was the suckiest team ever. What was Michael thinking voting off James? And I thought Angela would have been smarter too. 

What is his "go to" tribe for that right now? I'd think Ulong. You have to wonder if Koror (particularly Tom and Ian) would've run the table if there were idols falling from the sky like manna.

9 hours ago, tvfanatic13 said:

Why can't I learn any of their names?? What does that say about this season?

That's been happening for me in recent seasons.Maybe sixteen was the best number to start with.

"Survivor: Ghost Island: At Least The Logo Looks Dope!" "But you don't show it in the credits. You don't have any credits at all!” “FUCK!! I knew we forgot something!"

Edited by Lantern7
  • Love 4
2 hours ago, Straycat80 said:

Boring episode and I'm ashamed of myself for laughing at the two girls who got smacked in the face during the challenge but that was the only entertaining thing that happened this week.

Jeff might as well have just said that Monolo was the suckiest team ever. What was Michael thinking voting off James? And I thought Angela would have been smarter too. 

I always thought Matsing (Philippines) was technically the suckiest and/worst tribe? Denise and Malcolm were my favorites but weren’t they on the suckiest tribe?

• Love 2

Angela needs to get out of her own way. She was lucky the other two women didn’t join with the guys and vote her out. Kellan was justified in worrying  about whether Angela would vote with them. Of course, Kellan telling Angela that Des was her number 1 ally didn’t set Angela at ease either.  

Edited by mythoughtis
  • Love 4

I’m still saying Ulong is the worst tribe ever.  Nothing beat the distress signal challenge they did, where the plane flew by their camp, then went to Koror....and never came back because Koror won.  And there was Ulong, sitting on the beach, saying out loud “they’ll be back”, and kept saying it even as the sun began setting.

• Love 9
2 hours ago, NYGirl said:

Okayyyyy..... so they took a stupid challenge and added another layer of stupid...blind folded puzzle solving?  WTF?

I thought the blind puzzle solving was a fun addition :)

2 hours ago, truthaboutluv said:

This was the highlight of the episode for me. I love how unintentionally entertaining Chris is. Never change dude. Your lack of self-awareness makes for great television. 

I know, right?  Especially with the musical score that accompanied him :D

1 hour ago, North of Eden said:

It seems apparent that Probst hates Wendell the way he was remorselessly throwing shade on him about leaving the bag behind.

I think some times a cigar is just a cigar.  Wendell was the only one who could see, and it was his responsibility to see that those three bags made it to the end.

• Love 9
1 hour ago, North of Eden said:

It seems apparent that Probst hates Wendell the way he was remorselessly throwing shade on him about leaving the bag behind. I'm sure it all stems back to episode one where Wendell called out Probst on something though I don't remember exactly what.

Also there seems to be plenty of hate on the editors for Chris the way they played the ridiculing music as he was pontificating.

I don't think Probst hates Wendell.  Jeff shines the spotlight on anyone who screws up during challenges.  As he said after the challenge, Wendell was first the goat then the hero. 

I also don't think the editors hate Chris.  I think they love him.  He's providing such unintended comic relief.  Can't believe he goes real deep, but for now they are milking him for all he's worth. 

Overall, Laurel looks real good to me.  Highly competent at all key aspects of Survivor, but keeping that under the vest, staying off everyone's radar.  Wendell is doing a bit of the same.  At the opposite end is Bradley: I will enjoy seeing that smarmy grin wipe off his face when the tide turns against him. 

• Love 17

When the end of the episode approached, I was like, wait, Ghost Island was never shown, and that is the theme this season. I thought someone would go every episode, but I guess not.

Are we in for a Malolo pagoning? That tribe can never catch a break, and it doesn't help how Naviti keeps saying "Purple strong". They need to knock it off. We get it, you have the numbers yada yada. I hope that the original Malolo members can somehow find cracks within Naviti and make it deep in the game. If not, we could be in for a Malolo pogoning which is boring.

Not surprised by James being voted out. I don't think he was that strong to begin with, but a Naviti member should have gone home.

• Love 1
10 minutes ago, kikaha said:

I don't think Probst hates Wendell.  Jeff shines the spotlight on anyone who screws up during challenges.  As he said after the challenge, Wendell was first the goat then the hero. 

I also don't think the editors hate Chris.  I think they love him.  He's providing such unintended comic relief.  Can't believe he goes real deep, but for now they are milking him for all he's worth. 

Overall, Laurel looks real good to me.  Highly competent at all key aspects of Survivor, but keeping that under the vest, staying off everyone's radar.  Wendell is doing a bit of the same.  At the opposite end is Bradley: I will enjoy seeing that smarmy grin wipe off his face when the tide turns against him. 

Yeah, Laurel is getting just the right amount of airtime. She has her pulse on the game and the people. Also, no one seems to be ever gunning for her. I like that she bit her tounge and let Chris go on & on & on.  

• Love 14
1 hour ago, LadyChatts said:

In thinking about Naviti strong, the only ones who I think truly buy into that mentality are Kellyn/Brad/Des/Sebastián (because he seems too clueless to think on his own).  I truly believe Des, if outnumbered, would totally flip.  Chelsea and Angela both probably went along with their respective Naviti tribemates because they felt they had to.  I think Chelsea has more game going on than they are showing, which is kind of disappointing.

Come merge time, I think those believing in the power of purple are in for a rude awakeneing.  I had to laugh when Kellyn said tonight she didn’t understand why Chris and Dom couldn’t get along for a few votes for the sake of Naviti.  How dare they play their own game!  Both know that the other is out for them, and no doubt will be looking for allies.  Malolo might actually get a reprieve at the merge.

I think when Kellyn means "Naviti strong," she might just mean herself, Des, Sebastian, Bradley, and Chelsea by this point.  Kellyn's open disgust at the Chris vs. Dom pissing contest makes me think she they're both dead to her, with Wendell and Angela also maybe along as collateral damage.

Forget about kicking into second gear, this season has yet to even get into first gear.  It's just a real lack of interesting personalities.  Maybe Ghost Island wasn't in this episode since it just floated away out of boredom.

I'm not a fan of the three-tribe alignment in general and it didn't make sense in this case.  Why not a draw into two tribes, with the odd person out going to Ghost Island and eventually joining the losing tribe?

• Love 7
13 minutes ago, OutOfTheQuestion said:

I'm not a fan of the three-tribe alignment in general and it didn't make sense in this case.  Why not a draw into two tribes, with the odd person out going to Ghost Island and eventually joining the losing tribe?

That makes too much sense for it to have occurred to the producers.

Another week of putting the LOL in Malolo = boring TV, but Chris getting edited as Coach Lite and Laurel smiling and nodding at the idiot sitting in front of her makes up for it ever so slightly.

• Love 9
19 minutes ago, OutOfTheQuestion said:

I think when Kellyn means "Naviti strong," she might just mean herself, Des, Sebastian, Bradley, and Chelsea by this point.  Kellyn's open disgust at the Chris vs. Dom pissing contest makes me think she they're both dead to her, with Wendell and Angela also maybe along as collateral damage.

Forget about kicking into second gear, this season has yet to even get into first gear.  It's just a real lack of interesting personalities.  Maybe Ghost Island wasn't in this episode since it just floated away out of boredom.

“Maybe Ghost Island floated away out of boredom”. Hysterical and so true. I can’t believe how built up Ghost Island was as a central character and it kind of sucks. I’m not sure what Jeff & TPTB thought was going to happen. From all of the pre interviews they thought something would but it sure ain’t showing up on the screen. To the non advantages, no games to play & comfy surroundings it’s been a dud. I think they really blue it tonight by not doing two tribes and sending someone there to play a game and getting rewarded. A total misopportunity on their part. 

• Love 7
20 minutes ago, OutOfTheQuestion said:

If that’s what Kellyn thinks then she can’t do math very well, because those 5 would totally be outnumbered at the merge.  Is she still going to be singing Naviti strong then?  And I don’t know how tight Chelsea is with them, but I guess we’ll find out.

This season started off promising.  Hoping the merge perks it up.  Though I can’t say I’m looking forward to Ghost Island, since only one thing has been found on it.  I just cringe, again, at the idols and advantages to come.  I’m not even shocked anymore when more than one person pulls out an idol on top of someone else having an advantage, and there ending up being 3 people out of 10 left to vote for because it suddenly rains free immunities for the chosen ones.  I think I’m more shocked they play the dramatic music before someone stands up and walks up to Probst and he has to hide his grin at what amazing TV he thinks this is.

Count me in as not being a fan of the 3 tribe format.  I like it here and there but something about Naviti getting majority both swaps on all tribes and the same amount of numbers evenly both times makes me put my tin foil hat on.  That’s way too much of a coincidence.

• Love 6

This season isn't the most exciting so far, but I hold out hope that it'll pick up after the merge. I've noticed that it's pretty rare for a season to be exciting all the way through. For me, seasons tend to be dull pre-merge or dull post-merge.

1 hour ago, kikaha said:

1 hour ago, ByaNose said:

Yeah, Laurel is getting just the right amount of airtime. She has her pulse on the game and the people. Also, no one seems to be ever gunning for her. I like that she bit her tounge and let Chris go on & on & on.  

Both Laurel and Wendell got scenes this episode showing them establishing relationships (Laurel with Jenna and Wendell with Sebastian) that have thus far had no direct impact on the game—Laurel had another one last week with Donathan. My guess is that they're both in it for the long-haul and these scenes are there to establish how they win/why they're voted out as likeability threats/why certain players feel betrayed by them later on.

I sympathized with Desiree's guilt about James getting voted out because she lost the tribe the challenge by not being able to get them through that puzzle. I think I'd probably feel the same way in her place. Speaking of James, I really wish he were a poster here. I think he'd have a lot to contribute to the discussions of strategy.

I realize it would have taken away from the suspense of Tribal Council, but I wish we had seen what it was that made Michael and Angela vote for James. Specifically, I'm curious if Michael was tipped off that Angela was voting for James and saw no point in voting for Desiree, or if Angela was tipped off that Michael was going to vote with Kellyn and Desiree and so went with them. At this point, Michael, Kellyn, and Desiree have been on a tribe together longer than Michael was with James and Kellyn and Desiree were with Angela. Furthermore, Kellyn and Desiree are aligned with Bradley, who is aligned with Domenick. This means that their ties to Angela and Chris are not strong. I wonder if Michael might actually be ahead of Angela in the pecking order on Malolo, despite all of Kellyn's talk about being "Naviti strong".

ETA: I really loved Donathan reaction to Jeff's "Alright, shall we get to it?" at the tribe swap. I don't have time to make a GIF of it tonight, but he did this slightly baffled, slightly contemptuous shrug, while muttering,
5abc75fd40c6f_ScreenShot2018-03-29at01_13_11.png.548866a12306222d4fffe7c6b94bc436.png

Edited by Hera
Adding the part about Donathan.
  • Love 11

I'm rarely outright critical of this show, but this season has been a mess.

Too many swaps, I really don't know who half these people are, who's aligned with who.  Naviti, Malolo, the new tribe (whatever it's called)...I don't think I could tell you what tribe a single player started on or what tribe any of them are on now.  I wish they would just merge already.

I'm not sure if this is an issue with the cast, or with the editing, or both.  But...woof.  It's gonna be real hard for this season to climb out of my personal list of the worst three to five seasons ever.

And with all the tribe swaps, is there any meaning to this idea that Malolo is one of the worst tribes ever?  It's possible that almost every player has been on Malolo at some point...but again...I have no idea.

• Love 13

Ugh.  Even Michael voted for James.  Why couldn't they have taken out Kellyn?  She is uber irritating.  "Don't be mad at me, I'm doing my best."  It was probably Des' fault but whatever.

I hope that somehow Michael survives.  

And I am loving Chris.  He is hilarious.  Whether on purpose or not, I find him entertaining.  I also noticed that Dominick was the one who kept talking about Chris at least twice, whereas Chris briefly mentioned something to Wendell about Dominick and didn't mention him at all in confessional.  Sounds like Dominick is the one fixated in Chris and has been ever since the decision to give up the puzzle.  Dominick is the one who felt threatened.

We met Libby and she seems like a complete non-entity.

Edited by blackwing
  • Love 11
2 minutes ago, Mabdul Doobakus said:

Too many swaps, I really don't know who half these people are, who's aligned with who.  Naviti, Malolo, the new tribe (whatever it's called)...I don't think I could tell you what tribe a single player started on or what tribe any of them are on now.  I wish they would just merge already.

I'm not sure if this is an issue with the cast, or with the editing, or both.  But...woof.  It's gonna be real hard for this season to climb out of my personal list of the worst three to five seasons ever.

And with all the tribe swaps, is there any meaning to this idea that Malolo is one of the worst tribes ever?  It's possible that almost every player has been on Malolo at some point...but again...I have no idea.

I’m okay with who is who but I’m totally lost on the alliances. Usually, I have a read on who is the main, sub & backup alliances are. This season I’m literally confused. I guess  at the merge it will be more clearer but it’s a total mystery to me now.  I’ve been watching since Day 1 and this is first for me. I’m not really invested in any one alliance because I don’t who’s with whom. 

• Love 9
4 hours ago, LadyChatts said:

Dom, if they’re blindfolded, they clearly can’t tell what color the puzzle piece is, bro.

Swear to god.  When Dom pulled that particular piece of boneheadery I paused the TV, looked at the wife and said, “Now see - I’d have felt it a moral imperative at this point to stop whatever I was doing, turn and face Dom blindfold and all, and say, ‘The white piece?  Really?’”.

4 hours ago, Straycat80 said:

What was Michael thinking voting off James?

It’s already been said - but I’d be pretty certain Angela pulled Michael to the side prior to TC and told him she was voting against James.  At which point Michael has to look at his game life prospects post-James - and what good does it do Michael to alienate Desiree by casting a useless vote against her out of loyalty for a pre-Jury-departed James?

4 hours ago, ihartcoffee said:

Um,  that was not a blindside. 

To James it was - but only him.

• Love 4
4 hours ago, NYGirl said:

I still have no idea who is who and I see faces I never saw before.

I have to play "looks like" in my head.  As in Domenick "looks like" Mark Ruffalo.  Libby "looks like" Ashley Judd.  Chris "looks like" a blockhead even when he isn't speaking.

• Love 6

I'm sorry but Chris is the best character this season. Mainly BECAUSE he is a character. He's a huge douche. He makes hilariously inept confessionals. He has a couple moments where you can somewhat appreciate that he might be deeper than you think. Not that much deeper mind you, like kiddie pool deep. Most importantly, he gets reactions from other people. I think we saw more personality from Wendell and Laurel just from reacting to Chris than we had before. 

This still comes off as the least charismatic group of Survivor players ever assembled. I want to like Michael's underdog story but then he speaks in his monotone voice and I cannot warm up to the guy.

I'll say it again, production made a horrible mistake focusing so much of the first two episodes on Ben, who didn't amount to anything. Considering this entire season has come down to purple vs. orange (I'm not even going to spend the effort to look up the tribe names), it would have been extremely helpful to establish the dynamics of the tribes better. As it is, it's just a big blob of undefined people and I can't remember half of the time who was on what tribe. Before this episode I wouldn't have been able to tell you that Des and Kellan (?) were on the same tribe the entire time or that Sebastian and Wendell shared a tribe. 

Just bad characters, bad editing, bad everything. 

• Love 9

I wanted Des to go home not just because she went through Stephanie's bag last week, but also because she said losing the challenge was the worst day of her life. I'm sure it's hyperbole and all, but I was thinking, "oh boohoo, how sad for you! life is so hard, wah."

I can't believe I'm saying this, but I'm so over everyone being in their underwear. I feel like I know way more than I want to know about Brad's crotch. Note to self, if I ever go on Survivor, don't wear light-colored undies. Jenna's bottoms look.... soiled.

And this episode was so interesting, here I am talking about Brad's crotch. Ew.

I don't understand why Michael voted for James, but I'm sad to see James go, because he wore boxers.

• Love 12

I guess it's just me but I can't help but love a 3-tribe situation.  It seemed like every tribe had some interesting thing going on in a strategic sense (I say seemed because it was all smoke and mirrors in Malolo's case, wasn't it?  So probably the same is true on the other tribes.)  And the editors, since there's not much gameplay to work with, are contenting themselves with wonderful character assassinating edits of Chris and Bradley (and Sea Bass to some extent), which I am totally down to enjoy.

Wendell is still my man.  Saving the shell for Sea Bass was what I call great Survivor play -- a thoughtful, human thing to do, making a human connection, mending a bridge.  And anyone who talks back to Probst at challenges is automatically in my good graces.  Laurel still playing very strong, and I Want To Believe that Libby could indeed be a Parvati 2.0, though the edit really isn't there for that.  I can dream.  I like Desiree as a person and I really like her glasses.  I too would probably weep over coffee if I didn't have it for two weeks, so I don't mind it from Chelsea.  Overall I am fine with the cast, for the most part they seem to get the edit they deserve which always helps.  The big exception being Kellyn, who Probst apparently adores as much as the Survivor press corps does -- whatever they see IRL that makes them like her sure doesn't carry onscreen because she is still the worst.

The big problem is the gameplay.  It sucks.  And this, honestly, is what it's like when there's no idols, like what you guys are always clamoring for: very, very boring Pagonings, where inevitably the terrible people beat the likeable.  (I sure hope Michael and James were out hunting for the idol.  I'm sure James will say they were, and they just didn't find it.  I understand why they don't often show people vainly looking for one, but I do wish they would throw us a bone, at least a confessional voiceover like "I looked everywhere for an idol but I couldn't find it".)  I can't say I was a big James fan but compared to Kellyn, of course, he was great.  Frankly I think Angela made the wrong choice here, Kellyn literally gave her no reason (that we saw) not to flip: she was like "WE FIVE WERE SUPER STRONG!  BE ON THE BOTTOM OF OUR STRONG SIX!" and doing about as good a job as Roark last season of hiding her total disdain.  Also weird to target James, who has a connection with Angela...like why not give Angela something?  I guess Angela sees Original Malolo as a sinking ship with no chance of doing anything by the merge, but she's gotta know she's totally on the bottom of the Original Naviti tribe.

If they'd had Ghost Island in the mix this time, there wouldn't really have been enough time to see all 3 tribes...in theory anyway.  Did someone go to Exile Island every episode of its eponymous season (aka Panama?)

4 hours ago, Haleth said:

But Jeff didn't show the 5th vote, right?  James probably thought the 3 women voted him out. (Yeah, Jeff probably would have shown a second Des vote if there had been one, but who could know for sure?)

James knew.  I'm sure he knows enough Survivor to know what Probst's reading order meant, and he gave Michael a total death-glare, almost long enough for me to think he was going to pull a Michaela/Jay scene.

4 hours ago, LanceM said:

I am not entirely convinced that Angela's vote tonight was stupid on her part for one reason. Michael voted for James too. If she knew that Michael was voting for James than her voting for Desiree would have been pointless.  We will have to see she gets to explain her vote in a secret scene or a confessional next week.

I think it must have been the other way around.  She told Michael it was James, so he flipped.  I very much doubt that Kellyn or Desiree came to him and convinced him to vote James.

• Love 11

"I’m hesitant to tell people that I model because, for some crazy reason, people think models might be self-absorbed, might be dumb, just a lot of things that might not be beneficiary to me, in a tribe setting” HA HA haHA HaHA haHA HAHAHAHA HA!

• Love 18
6 hours ago, ihartcoffee said:

Um,  that was not a blindside.  But sad to see him go.  

When James talked about what a great "blindside" it was, I thought, you're a nice guy, but you have no business playing Survivor.  

It was totally obvious he was one of the two who might get voted out and fairly obvious that he was the one.

• Love 2
6 hours ago, Lamb18 said:

Right to the new mixup! Donathan is donning his tiger socks. No, it's not tiger stripes, it's sort of like brown and yellow basketballs or watermelons. A three tribe mashup, this will be interesting

Jeff's math skills are amazing! With 15 people left, the odds of any remaining player winning is better than when they started with 20!!  How did he figure that out?? Einstein and Stephen Hawkings rolled into one.

Poor Chris, it's so exhausting to be charismatic and athletic. What a curse!! He is truly unfortunate. I wonder if Laurel crossed her fingers behind her back when she told Chris he could be a motivational speaker. Oh man, the show is just slamming Chris! That talking head where he says he doesn't tell people he's a model because people think models are stupid, then he misuses a word (or maybe made one up).

Hey, the adjective "benefiecieary" is a perfectly, cromulent word!  

• Love 5

A Meh episode, with a few highlights as other posters have pointed out. Blindfolded vertical face plants will never cease to be funny.

I was also hoping for Des to go over James—she’s been dead to me since her unapologetic rifling through Stephanie’s bag. Also curious why her comment was the title for the episode.  I almost felt sorry for her during the challenge, her throat sounded like it was being scraped raw, but then she had to say it was the worst experience of her life. I wish one of the blindfolded folks who walked into wooden posts got to hear that.

Rooting for Michael, I would have thought Kellyn and Des see that he’s far more dangerous than James. But then again, I’m kinda hating on Kellyn and Des.

Angela looks so much like Robin Wright’s warrior character in Wonder Woman, until she starts talking. At least we were spared her bragging of having the swing vote control of the game.

It’s going to be so sweet when Bradley gets voted off. It’s really a bad season when people start standing out because they’re so annoying or in Bradley’s case -- hateable. Wanting Chris to go far purely for “beneficiary” entertainment.

Waiting to see more of Wendell and Laurel. The show’s editing has been so uneven that I worry they’ll suddenly craft different characters for Wendell and Laurel. Case in point—Seabass. He’s gone from potentially likeable (the Malcolm, Joe, Ozzy archetype they like to cast) to someone who seems really disingenuous, like he’s trying to be the Jeff Spicoli of Survivor.

2 hours ago, KimberStormer said:

Wendell is still my man.  Saving the shell for Sea Bass was what I call great Survivor play -- a thoughtful, human thing to do, making a human connection, mending a bridge.

Good point. I did appreciate that too, "rotting conch smell" and all. A simple gesture that didn't cost him much effort, but can reap a lot of goodwill without seeming like pandering.

• Love 9

Random thoughts...

Hey, Sea Bass (ugh)- that is not a conch shell.  Looked more like a larger cowrie to me. 

Um, Bradley?  You are in fact not as fantastic a player you think you are.  You have done nothing to improve your game; the only reason you are still present is b/c of the production crew's team manipulations.  You have not schemed or plotted or been strategic once.  You have bitched about your intolerable living conditions incessantly through that much too small mouth for your face enough for me, so shutty!

Speaking of mouths/face proportions, what is it with the lack of chins and jawlines with this cast?  Sebastian, Laurel, some others I do not know...all are missing mandible bones.  

Kellyn is one of the most annoying people ever.  I can't imagine being at a cocktail party or in a college classroom with her.  She doesn't shut up.  If asked a simple question, answer it simply.  No one wants to hear your dissertation on philosophy when all the waiter asks is "red or white".

Chris....sigh.  He is one of those people I would spend time with just to passively-aggressively play mind games.  I would bring up different careers and see how many he dabbled in "over the summer".  I'd mention as many cool, edgy bands as possible to see how many he says he's seen or gone back stage or knows the drummer.  I'd talk about extreme sports to hear him tell me how he was on track to go to the X Games &/or Olympics until he got called to an emergency modeling job.  How is it that the most self absorbed people are the lease self aware?  What a douche-bro tool this guy is!  

• Love 13
12 hours ago, Silver Raven said:

Really, Desiree?  That was the worst moment of your life?  How lucky for you.

I couldn't help but wonder just how low she's been setting the bar when she said she has always, "Exceeded expectations."  

Kellyn thinks every word out of her mouth is a nugget of great wisdom.  Your gut is your heart and your brain combined?  It's a waste management system, shut up.

I'm not one who hates Jeff Probst,  I can't imagine Survivor without him, but his LOUD riding of Wendell over leaving that bag behind was just unbelievable, he went on and on and on about how Wendell had messed up for his team and even after Wendell came back and won the challenge for them, with his excellent coaching, Jeff  still  had to mention his mistake while giving them the idol.

I've never been as impressed by anyone on Survivor as I was with Laurel while she managed to listen to  hours of Chris's  bragging and didn't respond with sarcasm.  I could eat yellow slugs before I could do that.

Edited by JudyObscure
  • Love 11

LOL, the two glasses girls tanked that tribe but good.   No coming back from that lineup now.    God, Kellyn, shut up, will you?

3 hours ago, Kaiju Ballet said:

Good point. I did appreciate that too, "rotting conch smell" and all. A simple gesture that didn't cost him much effort, but can reap a lot of goodwill without seeming like pandering.

Somebody should tell Sebastian it's not a conch.   It's a cowry.

• Love 2
6 hours ago, MVFrostsMyPie said:

Note to self, if I ever go on Survivor, don't wear light-colored undies. Jenna's bottoms look.... soiled.

Truth.   Not only did I see an unfortunate looking soiled stain on the front of Jenna's bottoms, but also on another female , perhaps Libby?   I was cringing for them, hoping that the guys with whom I was watching last night wouldn't see it or mention it.   Unfortunately, they did.  I'm embarrassed for them.   Shame on production.

Edited by EllipticalAddicted
  • Love 2
10 hours ago, Machiabelly said:

Chris has to be a performance artist...right? No one can be thar...ummm...THAT. can they?

No, they certainly can.  I always seem to meet narcissists like this.  I work with one who is always talking about how great looking she is.  And she rambles on and on about her love life.  Once she was talking about how ANOTHER coworker was so boring because she always talks about herself, which I found hysterical.  Then she probably caught my stare and had at least self awareness to say something like "But at least, my stories are interesting!"  (They aren't).

I also had another housemate who would always talk about how she should just give up university to model (Bad idea.)    I don't know, I know so many people like Chris.  At least Chris's looks somewhat back up his talk.  He's not my type, but I get it.  

I find the reactions to this cast very entertaining.  I personally all find them so mild, but I have NO problem with it.  It's a welcome relief from the abusive or terrorizing or high drama personalities of the past.  I find all of these people way too mild to hate, YES that includes Chris, Dom, and God forbid even Bradley!  But I think the Bradley thing might be me having a very hard time paying attention to when he's speaking.  I just can't grab onto him in any which way.  (Maybe because I keep trying to grab for his jaw!  Har har, just kidding guys.)

P.S. Yes, I'm sad about James, but not insanely so.  I'm just glad he wasn't the first person voted out, or even super close to it.  I didn't get to know him very well - or any of the cast - and I'll likely not even get to know whoever wins, with the way the editing is going.  It kind of helps me to not form insane attachments and care who is going or staying.

All this talk about how Michael (and whoever his tribemates are?????) are cursed?  Maybe Michael just SUCKS AT CHALLENGES.  He's only 18.  Maybe he just sucks?  Is it a possibility?  (I am not watching closely enough to have an informed opinion.  Just throwing it out there on the dartboard.)  At least Chris has proven challenge prowess.

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
  • Love 5

I have to say, I normally like the 3 tribe dynamic....when it STARTS out that way. I think it's too late in the game to go to 3 tribes now. How long is that going to be able to last? One more week? It just seems like there's too much general switching going on this season. I guess it keeps things interesting? But not really....since Naviti has still basically had the upper hand the entire time. And maybe it's the editing, but I'm way too confused as to who was with whom at what point. 

Anyhow, the three I'm rooting for at this point are Michael, Laurel, and Wendell. 

I already liked the first two, and Laurel impressed me further last night when she talked about her strategy of just being whatever that person, in the moment, needs her to be. She not only rocks in challenges, but she's playing a killer social game. 

But Wendell really won me over last night. First, I thought it was darling that he remembered Sebastian's shell and brought it to him. But his performance in that challenge? He was the epitome of a good leader. Calm, supportive, gave very clear directions. I was actually rooting for a tribe to win for the first time this season. Very well deserved. 

Desiree, on the other hand, was AWFUL. I always say - don't put a girl up there as the caller. Their voices simply don't carry as well as the men's. Plus, didn't she fuck up a puzzle on day one? WHY would she be the pick as leader of this challenge??? But it wasn't just her voice (which went hoarse after about 5 minutes), it was her overall attitude. She was so nasty! And her directions couldn't be more vague. "WALK TOWARDS IT!!!!" Towards WHAT??? She didn't give specifics. She acted like they were just supposed to figure it out, and yelled when her unclear bellowing made no sense to anyone. 

She should have gone home. That was just pitiful. I get wanting to keep numbers strong, but what are numbers once you hit the merge? I mean, Angie KNOWS her tribe already didn't have her back. She's low hanging fruit. Making a move like that, saving James, could have really garnered her some loyalty from him and Michael. Loyalty that's forged from actual game play is going to get you father than loyalty that exists because of the tribe you just happened to get put on on day one. 

And maybe I wouldn't be saying all this if the person I wanted to go went home....ha! But I was really hoping Ang would flip. Sorry, James.

Bradley thinks he's playing an A+ game. Oh, PLEASE, someone knock the wind out of his sails and soon. 

Did I hear Chris use the word "beneficiary" instead of "beneficially"? 

I'm going to need Libby to go soon just because of those stupid, little, white, lacy shorts. 

• Love 12
6 hours ago, KimberStormer said:

James knew.  I'm sure he knows enough Survivor to know what Probst's reading order meant, and he gave Michael a total death-glare, almost long enough for me to think he was going to pull a Michaela/Jay scene.

This makes more sense. I couldn't figure out why he was glaring at Angela like that. Granted, they had made a connection, but he had to consider that she still might choose to stay with her original tribe. Knowing that Michael voted for him as well....THAT would be a reason to act so miffed by the vote. 

4 hours ago, Bryce Lynch said:

When James talked about what a great "blindside" it was, I thought, you're a nice guy, but you have no business playing Survivor.  

It was totally obvious he was one of the two who might get voted out and fairly obvious that he was the one.

Yea, I would NOT count that as a blindside. It wasn't completely out of left field that Angie decided to stay with Naviti. Blindsides usually shock more than one person at TC. This was just a vote that was up in the air not going the way you hoped it would.

47 minutes ago, BusyOctober said:

Kellyn is one of the most annoying people ever.  I can't imagine being at a cocktail party or in a college classroom with her.  She doesn't shut up.  If asked a simple question, answer it simply.  No one wants to hear your dissertation on philosophy when all the waiter asks is "red or white".

THIS. Damn. That monologue about the gut being "the perfect blend of heart and head" was so unnecessary and not nearly as profound as she thought it was. Like Chris, I think she just loves to hear herself speak. 

• Love 6
4 hours ago, Kaiju Ballet said:

A Meh episode, with a few highlights as other posters have pointed out. Blindfolded vertical face plants will never cease to be funny.

I was also hoping for Des to go over James—she’s been dead to me since her unapologetic rifling through Stephanie’s bag. Also curious why her comment was the title for the episode.  I almost felt sorry for her during the challenge, her throat sounded like it was being scraped raw, but then she had to say it was the worst experience of her life. I wish one of the blindfolded folks who walked into wooden posts got to hear that.

Rooting for Michael, I would have thought Kellyn and Des see that he’s far more dangerous than James. But then again, I’m kinda hating on Kellyn and Des.

Angela looks so much like Robin Wright’s warrior character in Wonder Woman, until she starts talking. At least we were spared her bragging of having the swing vote control of the game.

It’s going to be so sweet when Bradley gets voted off. It’s really a bad season when people start standing out because they’re so annoying or in Bradley’s case -- hateable. Wanting Chris to go far purely for “beneficiary” entertainment.

Waiting to see more of Wendell and Laurel. The show’s editing has been so uneven that I worry they’ll suddenly craft different characters for Wendell and Laurel. Case in point—Seabass. He’s gone from potentially likeable (the Malcolm, Joe, Ozzy archetype they like to cast) to someone who seems really disingenuous, like he’s trying to be the Jeff Spicoli of Survivor.

I also rolled my eyes when Desiree said losing the challenge was the worst moment of her life.  If that is true, you've lived a charmed life, sweetheart.  I don't hate her, but she has some annoying qualities, like searching Stephanie's bag.  

I think she thought, that barking orders in an angry voice was the most effective way to communicate with her blindfolded tribemates.   Firm, loud in clear is good.  But, she seemed to cross the line, IMO.  Still, she was better than Dom, in the bag gathering stage, who kept letting his people smash their faces into obstacles.  I don' t know if Desiree couldn't figure out the puzzle or just couldn't figure out how to communicate the instructions, but she totally failed in that stage.  

Chris is totally awesome and I love hearing about how hard it is to go through life being so awesome.  I really enjoy the comic relief his utter lack of self awareness brings.  It is very benificieary to the show.  

I am not totally on board with anyone yet, but Lauren and Wendell are probably my favorites right now.   

I am really enjoying this season, despite the lack of anyone I am strongly rooting for.  I am getting a kick out of the weirdness of this gang.   

• Love 9

I still love this season. I think this is a great cast. I don't deeply hate any of them. The ones I do hate make it fun to hate them.

Maybe minus Kellyn. She is just the worst and her worst-ness is irritating and boring. Her stupid 'head vs. heart trust your gut' bullshit at TC was maddening. 

I'm sorry, but I love the blindfolded challenge. It's a laugh riot for me!

Chris remains hilarious. The fact that he has no self-awareness and is 100% real with all this just fills me with glee. 

This ep made it so clear that Bradley is really playing a character. I mean don't get me wrong, I think he's an asshole, but he also obviously thinks saying stuff like, "I'm fantastic!" with a shit-eating grin in confessionals is gonna get him airtime and he wants that airtime, baby!

I continue to love Wendell, Laurel, Donathan, and Michael to pieces. And there's a couple other players, like Libby and Chelsea, that I feel like have potential, although based on the edits they're getting I don't think we'll ever see it even if they do. 

Edited by peachmangosteen
  • Love 16

Basically you've all covered the high (low) lights of this episode.

I'm just going to be petty and point out how distracted I was at TC by Kellyn strangely thin nose.  It's almost like she has an imaginary clothespin holding it closed.  I'm sorry to mention this, because now you'll all be distracted by it as well.

• Love 13
1 hour ago, ghoulina said:

I always say - don't put a girl up there as the caller.

It's a good thing they didn't make Donathan the caller.  Everyone would have been standing there wondering, what did he say?  "Ah sayed clahm unna dah fayence!  Now tun layeft."  Half the time I have no idea what he's saying and I live in hillbilly country. 

Edited by Haleth
  • Love 16

Weird thought popped into my head this morning . . . 

As soon as each person goes to TC for the first time, they get their torch and light it, because "fire is your life."  Then they're all shown walking back to camp with their lit torches.  And when they return to TC, they're also carrying their lit torches.  

This season has not featured any rain.

So when Chris and (James?) were building a fire at their new camp, why were they striking flint on coconut husks?  Couldn't they have just grabbed a nearby lit torch?  (I know that in real life, those are just Home Depot gas-powered tiki torches which are turned off after filming TC to save the gas cartridges, but . . . for some reason . . . it just made me go "hmmmmm.")

My favorite part was when Chris was pontificating about how other people assume that models are stupid, but he assured the viewing audience that he was going to use that misbelief to his "beneficiary."  

Capture.JPG

Edited by AZChristian
  • Love 3
1 minute ago, AZChristian said:

My favorite part was when Chris was pontificating about how other people assume that models are stupid, but he assured the viewing audience that he was going to use that misbelief to his "beneficiary."  

Also, revealing that he "also models" like it is some gigantic accomplishment that should be kept secret because of the power it has over other people.  Laurel was all kinds of awesome letting him "impress her."  And then cut to her telling one of the others "it's just easier to let him go on about himself."

Can you imagine this guy on a first date?

• Love 12
10 hours ago, LadyChatts said:

I’m still saying Ulong is the worst tribe ever.  Nothing beat the distress signal challenge they did, where the plane flew by their camp, then went to Koror....and never came back because Koror won.  And there was Ulong, sitting on the beach, saying out loud “they’ll be back”, and kept saying it even as the sun began setting.

Ulong was the island of misfit toys, waiting for a Santa that eventually showed up only to buzz them and give them an f-u before moving on with an evil laugh.  But it was possible to care about Ulong and to feel bad as they were slowly decimated ( with Steph eventually absorbed into Koror, I think), because we watched them haplessly try to save themselves week to week.  (It was all the more hilarious because Koror was winning so much stuff that their camp looked like a spa getaway while Ulong was basically living next to a rock and a pile of BJ's spit.)   But the way the teams have been juggled around this season with too many tribe swaps too soon, it's hard to keep track of who is original-recipe Malolo, let alone care how many of them survive to the merge.  

8 hours ago, Mabdul Doobakus said:

Me too.  At least after the merge it should be easier to keep track of who everyone's allies and antagonists are.  Right now, all I know is that Dom doesn't like Chris, and I knew that back on Day Two.  I think Laurel and Donathan are allies (or at least they seemed like friends an episode or two ago?), but I can't even say which team they consider themselves to be.  And I feel like I should know something like that, this far into the season.  But I'm still trying to figure out which of the generic blondes are which, and every time I think I have them all figured out,  another blonde steps out of the ocean and walks up to a tribe.  

• Love 11