Type keyword(s) to search

S36.E06: Fate is the Homie

Whimsy
  • Start Topic

13 minutes ago, Winston9-DT3 said:

Don’t yell at me?  How was Desi supposed to get them to do anything?  Jeez.  

I think the problem with Desi was she was yelling AT them, instead of yelling TO them.  She constantly sounded like she was scolding them for screwing up.  It may have just been her way of being emphatic and showing a sense of urgency, but it felt like her voice was communicating "Hurry up, you morons!".   

• Love 6
1 hour ago, HurricaneVal said:

I dunno guys....I'm getting the impression the editors hate Chris.  What do you think?  ::snerk::

On the contrary. The editors absolutely love Chris. he is giving them great material to work with this season.

• Love 4
1 hour ago, HurricaneVal said:

I dunno guys....I'm getting the impression the editors hate Chris.  What do you think?  ::snerk::

Michael slid past another tribal council.  He did a good job keeping his mouth shut and staying in the background knowing full well that James was the bigger target.

And James?  That was not a blindside, and you were straight on pissed when you stomped out of TC.  Chris may be the one getting the self-involved douchebag edit, but methinks you feel pretty entitled yourself.  Buh-bye.  Maybe next time think about your endgame and connecting with other people.  That's what got you and your gym muscles voted out.

Though they left a puzzle bag behind, Wendell rocked that challenge--especially the puzzle part.  He took the time to explain to the blindfolded puzzlers that the puzzle was a circle, with an outer ring, so you could see them immediately feeling out the pieces and picking up the obvious curved edge pieces.  Since he makes furniture, he probably thinks visually and has to describe things visually to others all the time.  Excellent selection of a caller!

So...there should be one HII at the new camp, and one at the other camp to replace the one Michael used, Dom has one...but is he at the camp with a HII, or is he back at the camp where he originally found his?  This is so hard keeping track when they move people around so much!

How is James entitled?  He was being incredibly nice in his final words, and to the people that voted off.  I think any person would be upset getting voted off.  Also James had a huge disadvantage in that tribe swap.  He had the least amount of time of developing relationships with the four people.  Kellyn, Des, and Michael had 6 additional days with each other.   

• Love 7
On 3/28/2018 at 8:18 PM, vb68 said:

I don't know that anyone has gotten an edit quite like Chris. Well maybe Coach. It's not so much a villain edit, but more the most self-absorbed moron who has ever come on the island. And on this show, boy is that saying something!

Which reminds me, I really do like Laurel and her reactions to him. 

And don't forget about Sarge.   He was pretty darn delusional.  Oh and Debbie (I think that was her name) the model/gymnast/super spy from a few seasons back.  She would be the female version.  Production had a field day mocking both of them.   The Chris mocking feels a bit more tongue in cheek to me.  Some of his self absorption is real, like how he thinks he's emotionally bonding with people when in reality he's just making about himself.  But some of it is for the cameras like the model talk, and last week's epic freestyle rap.  

Edited by After7Only
  • Love 4
On 3/29/2018 at 4:14 PM, UniqueHandle said:

I can't do the blindfold challenge. I run into things un-blindfolded every day in my house where I know where everything is. "Ouch, hello ottoman, you have been there for three years. Meet my shin, again." 

Hello twin! I run into or bump stuff so often that I no longer bother to remember which object gave me which bruise.  

I really have no idea how those contestants survive sometimes. I always think at least one of them ends up with a concussion, split lip or missing teeth.  

I thought Dom did a great job on the course/ he used their names first so it got their attention.  Des would yell the instruction and then the names. 

Wendell did beautifully during the puzzle. I heard Dom copy him after a while.  Still laughing about the white puzzle piece though. 

Edited by mythoughtis
  • Love 2

Overall a boring episode but a few things I liked:

I don't know why but I thought it was sweet that a small cup of coffee meant so much to Chelsea.  The little things mean a lot.  Speaking of which---

I love Wendell bringing that shell to Sea Bass.  Such a thoughtful gesture and will probably go a long way.  And very impressive performance by Wendell in the IC.  

I wanted to hate Des after all her screeching during that IC, but then she kinda won me back over by admitting that she wanted to be the player who could brag, "Yeah, I did that" but then found herself having to live with the complete cringeworthy opposite of, "I did that."  Heh. Yeah, girl.  You did.  

• Love 4

I just want a merge and fast. So far it’s been a slow and frustrating season. I don’t really heavy a favorite which is odd. By Episode 2 there is usually someone who I am rooting for. It’s not that I hate anyone but I’m not really that invested either. Chris and Bradley are reality tv gold for entertainment value but I don’t want them winning. I’m sort in the Wendell, Domenick, Kellyn or Laurel camp right now. It’s a very meh season so far. Here to hoping it picks up....and, soon. Happy Easter y’all.

• Love 1
9 hours ago, HurricaneVal said:

So...there should be one HII at the new camp, and one at the other camp to replace the one Michael used, Dom has one...but is he at the camp with a HII, or is he back at the camp where he originally found his?  This is so hard keeping track when they move people around so much!

Yet ironically, the idol finders have not moved at all.

• Dom found his/Andrea's idol on Naviti (purple), and is still there.  No new idol.
  • Michael found his/James' idol on Malolo (orange), and is still there.  New idol likely.
  • Yanuya (green) is all new with no previous finders on the island.  Idol very likely.
  • Love 2
8 hours ago, Bryce Lynch said:

I think the problem with Desi was she was yelling AT them, instead of yelling TO them.  She constantly sounded like she was scolding them for screwing up.  It may have just been her way of being emphatic and showing a sense of urgency, but it felt like her voice was communicating "Hurry up, you morons!".   

They kinda were morons on this challenge, though. I'm sure there were communication problems on Desiree's end that contributed, but those two were SHIT at following directions. She'd tell them to slide a puzzle piece around, and they'd keep trying to pick it up. She'd tell them to flip a piece over, and they'd do it, then flip it back again for no reason. You could see the other blindfolded puzzle solvers got a physical intuition for the space of the board fairly quickly, and instinctively started bringing pieces over to where gaps where...while Kellyn was piling them OUTSIDE the circle cutoff the pieces go in! I was dying watching that entire disaster unfold. Desiree got that team through the bag collecting phase with high efficiency and minimal physical injury, I highly doubt she was the main factor for being unable to solve what looked like a 15 piece puzzle. Kellyn wasting oxygen being in her feelings instead of shutting up and listening to instructions was just the perfect coup de grace.  Do you want your caller to be loving and affirm that you are really trying so very hard, good effort! Gold star! Or do you not want to go to tribal?

Donathan spinning Chelsea to unravel a bag was HILARIOUS!

It's strange that shouting at partners to move closer to each other was so ineffective because they are literally tied together. You're tied together, you're both flopping every which way like dying gazelles because you can't see. Following the tension of the cord seems like a perfectly sensible thing that would be easy to execute. Apparently not!

Edited by rozen
  • Love 7

So about Des being the caller/puzzle challenger - from a James exit interview

Did you think it might help when Jeff Probst called Desiree out for being the caller and kind of losing it for the tribe?
Going into the challenge, we had a discussion on who should be the caller, and obviously, I was like, “Kellyn is the puzzle person.” We all thought she should do it, but Desiree was very adamant that it was her time to really step up to the plate. So we let her do it because my thought was, even though I was down in numbers, if she steps up and fails, then she paints a target on her own back, and that’s what happened.

Standing there blindfolded with Michael and hearing Yanuya and Naviti get closer to the finish, and the way it worked out was that Des — no offense to her — she wasn’t as calm and composed in her directions to Kellyn. It wasn’t shown, but Kellyn started crying because Des was just screaming at her, like, “What the hell are you playing?” I was just standing there helpless, and I wish I were the caller or I was on the puzzle portion. I’ve thought that a thousand times.

That’s so odd Desiree was adamant about doing it because we saw her at the very start of the season talking about how bad she was at puzzles, and then she was beaten by Laurel in the first one of the season.
We all thought that the caller job would be fundamentally different from the actual puzzle job. But you have to somehow guide a blindfolded teammate to solve a puzzle, and if someone like Kellyn had been the caller, maybe she doesn’t have as loud a voice as Desiree, but once we got to the mat, maybe she could have guided me and Michael to solve that puzzle faster. But at this point in time, I was more than happy to let Desiree step up, because I knew that if she does a great job that we’re safe, and if she chokes and fails, then I have another target besides myself.

• Love 3

Wowee.  That explains some of Desiree's words about messing up her moment to shine.  It sounds like she knew she might not be that good at it but she just couldn't wait any longer to be the center of attention and earn big bragging rights.  If she and Chris are both still there at the merge it should be a magnificent clash of egos.

• Love 5

Late to the party, but I especially want to share my delight at Chris getting the buffoon edit. They might as well have played Yakkity Sax during all his confessionals. 

Wendell's returning the shell to Sea Bass reminded me of Vanuatu when Chris brought Julie her hat at final TC: a personal gesture that sort of transcends the game, i.e., "I HAD to vote you out because of the game but you can see how much I really care about you as a person by this gesture." Of course it's still game (or both personal and game), but it's easy to perceive yourself as being treated as special when something like that happens. I have little company in loving Vanuatu and Vanuatu Chris,  but I do. Wendell's got game.

I'm sad that James - my eye candy complete with excellent posture - is gone, but just for the visuals. Dude was pretty boring.

I think Angela might be trying to prepare a loyalty/nobility argument over the Naviti who voted against her in the TC where Morgan got bounced. Which I guess is just Dom and Wendell, right? Still, if she is indeed still close to challenge-monster Chris, she might think that'll keep her safe. She's wrong, of course; if she is still close to Chris and Chris wins IIs, she'll get bounced as his right hand.  

• Love 5
On 3/29/2018 at 1:09 AM, ByaNose said:

I’m okay with who is who but I’m totally lost on the alliances. Usually, I have a read on who is the main, sub & backup alliances are. This season I’m literally confused. I guess  at the merge it will be more clearer but it’s a total mystery to me now.  I’ve been watching since Day 1 and this is first for me. I’m not really invested in any one alliance because I don’t who’s with whom. 

On 3/29/2018 at 1:41 AM, loki567 said:

This still comes off as the least charismatic group of Survivor players ever assembled. I want to like Michael's underdog story but then he speaks in his monotone voice and I cannot warm up to the guy.

I'll say it again, production made a horrible mistake focusing so much of the first two episodes on Ben, who didn't amount to anything. Considering this entire season has come down to purple vs. orange (I'm not even going to spend the effort to look up the tribe names), it would have been extremely helpful to establish the dynamics of the tribes better. As it is, it's just a big blob of undefined people and I can't remember half of the time who was on what tribe. Before this episode I wouldn't have been able to tell you that Des and Kellan (?) were on the same tribe the entire time or that Sebastian and Wendell shared a tribe. 

Just bad characters, bad editing, bad everything. 

I can't enjoy this season because I cannot for the life of me keep these people straight.   All the young white blond people look the fucking same to me (and I'm white! I can't imagine how similar they must look to non-white viewers) and even with the ones I can visually distinguish (the redhead, the three black Survivors) most of these folks have had NO talking heads and with all the swaps I can't remember who was on what tribe to begin with - which is a problem since all the voting so far is based on alliances and loyalties formed in the original tribes - the ones I can't remember.  And now they dumped James the Korean guy! Thanks a lot aholes!  At least he looked different enough from the others that I could sort of remember him.  

• Love 6
On 3/30/2018 at 9:59 PM, ByaNose said:

I just want a merge and fast. So far it’s been a slow and frustrating season. I don’t really heavy a favorite which is odd. By Episode 2 there is usually someone who I am rooting for. It’s not that I hate anyone but I’m not really that invested either. Chris and Bradley are reality tv gold for entertainment value but I don’t want them winning. I’m sort in the Wendell, Domenick, Kellyn or Laurel camp right now. It’s a very meh season so far. Here to hoping it picks up....and, soon. Happy Easter y’all.

Anybody think that Bradley looks a little like a young Gilbert Gottfried?gilbert-gottfried-240.jpg.0aa32ac7eafedc2b10099ea28f2a2c28.jpg

• Love 2
(edited)

I thought Chris was going somewhere else with his "I've been avoiding telling people I'm a model" confession.  I thought he was going to say that it was because people assume that models make a lot of money and he doesn't want a "doesn't need the $" strike against him.  People with better memories that me please feel free to correct me, but it seems to me that it's harder for players to win who are perceived as having a pretty cushy lifestyle and are out there to a certain extent more for the experience than the money.  It's almost like the thinking is, "Wow, they've already got a great life AND now they want to win Survivor also?  I don't think so."  

Edited by MMLEsq
  • Love 1
On 29/03/2018 at 8:20 PM, violet and green said:

I think you must mean Jacob here - but I absolutely agree. The edit has been off this entire season. The tribe swaps haven't helped. But focusing so much on hapless Jacob, who wasn't interesting, or funny (we were supposed to laugh at him, I guess?), and annoying Gonzales, also, and not giving time to any telling dynamics between other cast members, just to give us an idea of some other personalities, was a big waste of two episodes and set the whole thing up for confusion.

I don't think the cast helps. But from the edit, I am guessing a woman must be winning?! Usually there is a subtler working of things and a clear, but gently soaring arc of some magnificent (male) hero rising through the ranks, excelling in blah blah blah; or else the plucky underdog overcoming the odds (helped by a few production twists). If it's the latter (Go, Donathon!) all is forgiven!

It is fairly clear each episode who is going, as whoever gets a sudden confessional about their noble overcoming of life challenges gets the chop. So as soon as James mentioned that South Korean move back to the States I said out loud in a bored voice to the TV, oh so you're going tonight, and then promptly forgot about it.

I was really hoping Desiree would go as I hate her with a passion. This season is starting to remind me of Worlds Apart where everyone I disliked the most stuck around, and the most annoying one of all won. So I guess Kellyn makes it far, along with Desiree and simpering Libby. (Whoever said upthread Libby hasn't shown any negative signs yet is not watching closely! Dom is right on the money.)

At this point I am going for Donathon, Dom, and Sea Bass! Laurel is so far the only woman I am rooting for, which makes me sad. And Wendell is kind of okay, but demoted himself this episode with what may have just been a timely suckup to whoever on his new tribe, by distancing himself from Dom. 

That's an interesting theory. The only woman I like is Lauren, so I hope she's in the finals. I liked James too until he seemed to throw his lot in with Chris. He also was my eye candy until he grew that ridiculous moustache. 

On 30/03/2018 at 12:18 PM, ImpinAintEasy said:

I officially hate this season. It’s so damn boring. Even with all the tribe swaps a Pagonging is still happening! I can’t stand Kellyn,Brad, or the woman with huge boobs whose name is escaping me. The army lady really upset me this episode too. Play the damn game! There are only 4 players I can say I somewhat enjoy(Michael,Laurel,Donathan, and Wendell). God help them if they get tribe swapped with the cultish group of Kellyn,Brad, and big boobs. 

I'm rooting for those four as well. Usually I don't find I am in agreement with most of the posters, but this season is full of blah or mediocre (or mildly annoying) players.

• Love 1
(edited)

Trying to figure out who the quote "Risk it for the biscuit" is from.  Somehow I missed the last one as Des. 

I'm thinking Donathan.  

Food reward challenge?  One of those food auctions?  

Edited by marys1000
On ‎4‎/‎2‎/‎2018 at 2:44 PM, PreBabylonia said:

Usually I don't find I am in agreement with most of the posters, but this season is full of blah or mediocre (or mildly annoying) players.

Yup, kind of like the Amazing Race this season. There are a good number of boring players and a few more interesting folks. Dominick is loud but even he has not been all that obnoxious, at least, that we have seen. The "villains" of this season are pretty tame. Bradley, who whines a lot and thinks he is a mastermind when he is not, and Chris, who is self centered and self absorbed.

Yeah, that is it. I don't mind that the villains are not awful people, I prefer that. I would like to see more of Wendell and Lauren who seem to be playing a good social game. Maybe more of Donathon who seems to be playing a good social game but not much more.

We'll see how things play out as the numbers dwindle and we actually get to see more of what is happening. But there tribe we are seeing the most of has not had anyone who is awful. Kellyn is annoying but not awful.

Just kind of blah. 

• Love 2