Type keyword(s) to search

S06.E10: Rock Your Face Off

• Start Topic

Surprised to find myself rooting for Ken...he used to be such a pill! Glad Anthony wasn't eliminated. Guess my cold little heart has grown three sizes since both guys' original seasons. Yay?

• Love 21

Helen's country was totally1980's Mandrell sisters. She would have won 40 years ago.

Fabio's was cute.  But I don't see country.

Pop was a tie.  I just found Anthony and Ken's rivalry, refreshing and hilarious. I liked both for different reasons, but do think if I had to pick, Anthony love aside....Ken.

Edmond knocked it out.  I don't think he needed the fringe on the waist. The pants looked great without. Stanley's was cute.

If that material is 4 way stretch and Spanx are involved, I firmly agree that Anthony could wear those shorts.

• Love 13

I was so happy to see a win for Edmond.  Something about his personality is so likable.  Not happy about the top five being only men, but it's certainly pretty cool that the top five are men of color (not exactly sure of Fabio's ethnicity).

28 minutes ago, jette said:

Surprised to find myself rooting for Ken...he used to be such a pill! Glad Anthony wasn't eliminated. Guess my cold little heart has grown three sizes since both guys' original seasons. Yay?

I've always had a soft spot for Ken, even in his worst moments.  The guy struggles with his frustration, gets supremely uptight, and gets very bitchy.  He's massively improved from the last time we saw him.

26 minutes ago, dosodog said:

Helen's country was totally1980's Mandrell sisters. She would have won 40 years ago.

Fabio's was cute.  But I don't see country.

Pop was a tie.  I just found Anthony and Ken's rivalry, refreshing and hilarious. I liked both for different reasons, but do think if I had to pick, Anthony love aside....Ken.

Edmond knocked it out.  I don't think he needed the fringe on the waist. The pants looked great without. Stanley's was cute.

If that material is 4 way stretch and Spanx are involved, I firmly agree that Anthony could wear those shorts.

Fabio's didn't scream country, but the look with the model's fluffy blonde hair brought to mind Kimberly from Little Big Town.  Both women in that band are great dressers.  I think Helen's is not far off from Shania Twain in her prime.  Rip of the sleeves and add stripper boots up to the groin, a split seem in the skirt where the crotch is almost exposed, and there you go.  

• Love 19

IMO Anthony for the win.  

And I wonder if the infamous Button Bag was reincarnated as a juke box that played whatever tune the producers wanted it to for specific matches with designers?  

What did they mean at the beginning: make performance wear AND a T shirt?  or was the winner the only one who would make a T shirt?

• Love 5

Ugh I am soooooooo annoyed.  That idiot judge - Olivia Culpo (sp?!) -- who the helll!?!?!?!?!?!??!?   Was wearing the exact same silhouette that Helen put out.  Yet she had soooooo much shit to talk about Helen's outfit.  What a know-nothing nothingburger of a person.

Even though I don't love Helen's personality, her outfit was my favourite this week, and way better than Fabio's.  I don't give a shit about country music but that outfit was gorgeous, so romantic, so beautiful, so luxurious.  I want to buy it and wear it NOW.  I loved it.

Fabio's was nothing.  The hype is overwrought.

Stanley is one of the best designers there. I wanted to cry and hug Stanley.  He's just so wonderful.  It isn't fair!  So what if he doesn't know how to dress a stupid rock chick!

Anyway.  Hard to complain about the top 4 because I know they're loved by most of us.  But I did love Helen's sequin outfit, especially more than Fabio's.  I rarely "get" Fabio, I just like what he stands for - he's artistic and different.  I preferred Anthony's way more over Ken's too, and Edmund has had wayyyyyyyyyy too many chances on this show.  

29216165_10105905867765732_7429808795150188544_o.jpg29214009_10105905867830602_7955711679231164416_o.jpg

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
  • Love 15

I don't like Helen much but I was surprised she was in the bottom and then out. Her outfit looked liked something I've seen country stars wear, Fabio's reminded me of a hot pants outfit I had in 1968.

I love Anthony but I didn't like his fringe, on the other hand I hated Ken's underpants look.

Stanley's was boring, Edmund's was good, I can see why he won.

• Love 9
1 hour ago, dosodog said:

You nailed it!  

The way Fabio's outfit fit his model was wonderful.  I think Stanley was overrated by the judges in past episodes and what he made in this episode was pretty meh. The vest and skirt looked like 70's high school outfits.  I wasn't crazy about any of the other looks either.  

The very best thing in this episode, however, was Alyssa finally wore something that fit and flattered!  The fringe on the jacket even worked.   

• Love 20

I was so worried they would keep Helen just because she was the only woman left. I'm happy and surprised they didn't take the PC (identity politics) route of keeping Helen. I don't really dislike Helen, I just thought she was the right designer to be eliminated based on merit IMO.

• Love 10
4 hours ago, dosodog said:

I couldn't figure out what it reminded me of, but you got it exactly. She deserved to be eliminated, but I didn't really like anyone's outfit.

• Love 3
2 hours ago, Ms Blue Jay said:

Even though I don't love Helen's personality, her outfit was my favourite this week, and way better than Fabio's.  I don't give a shit about country music but that outfit was gorgeous, so romantic, so beautiful, so luxurious.  I want to buy it and wear it NOW.  I loved it.

I totally agree! Loved it and I can imagine it onstage with the lights dancing off the sequins...sleeves and all. Was Helen’s personality an issue? I don’t know as I really try to let the clothing speak for the designer. Actually, I wish they would leave the models on the runway when they make winning/eliminations decisions because I usually have to use alternate sources to view the winning and loosing designs.

• Love 3

I love Stanley, but he should have gone, not Helen, who I hate, there I said it. I loved Fabio's and Anthony.  This has been a great season so far.  We are down to the nitty gritty! So glad all the jerks are gone gone gone. 

• Love 3

Helen is gone. Josh is gone. Merline (are is that Mare-leen) and her stupid hats are gone. I feel like I can finally enjoy this season.

But, wait...Alyssa the wooden host and Michael Kors-wannabe Isaac are still there. Darn.

• Love 8

For once, I thought Alyssa looked good at the runway show.

There is no way someone can decently sing wearing Helen's very tight corset (and it looked a lot like the top from Stanley's dress last week, minus the neck strap).

I liked Fabio's jumpsuit but neither his nor Helen's garment said "country" to me.

I found that Ken's sheer fabric looked really cheap, and because it's difficult to saw hems on such a fabric, all the cuts (shoulder, ankles...) also looked cheap. I would have picked Anthony's for the win for this pair, but otherwise I think the judges made the right choices.

I liked the guest mentor, she seemed to actually gave them valuable advice.

• Love 3
(edited)

You know that Amanda was at home screaming at her tv that this was her challenge to win!

Alyssa looked pretty good on the runway. The proportions worked on her body so she didn't look stumpy or weirdly shaped (for the record, she's not weirdly shaped but some of the things she's worn make her look weird because the proportions aren't right for her body).

If I hadn't known what the different genres were, I never would have been able to tell what the hell the theme of the runway was this week, even with the head to head walks ("It's a motherfucking walkoff!" - man, I miss Daniel).

In the rock face off, I appreciated the effort Stanley put into making those stripes. I think if he had only used it for the top and then done something else on the bottom, it might have come off as more rock. But using it for both the top and the bottom ended up looking too matchy matchy. Edmond's was very expected and not very interesting. A black top and black pants.

In the country face off, I saw what Fabio was saying about Carrie Underwood wearing his design. I could totally see her in that. Helen's sequined prairie dress looked so cliche. Just add a hundred scarves and you could put it on Stevie Nicks. Change the color to pastel blue and you could have put it on Barbara Mandrell. I agree with Alyssa's assessment that Helen's dress looked like a costume.

In the pop face off, I could see Anthony saying that his design was inspired by Jennifer Lopez. I liked the white coat that Ken made. Under the bright lights of the runway, I wasn't crazy about the sheer fabric because it looked like coral growing in the ocean. But I could see it looking very striking as a performance outfit from a distance.

Among the top three, I thought Edmond's was more cliche while Ken's was more unexpected and interesting. For that reason, I would have given the win to Ken.

I'm glad that the judges immediately took Anthony out of the running to be eliminated. For me, that was the only face off that had two good designs.

Helen was the clear loser to me, so I found it non-suspenseful when the judges were choosing between her and Stanley to go home. Then I remembered that their decisions often confound me so I started worrying that Stanley would be sent home.

9 hours ago, RedheadZombie said:

not exactly sure of Fabio's ethnicity

He's Brazilian.

9 hours ago, enoughcats said:

What did they mean at the beginning: make performance wear AND a T shirt?  or was the winner the only one who would make a T shirt?

The challenge was to design something for a musician to wear during a performance. The reward was designing a t-shirt for the Hard Rock Cafe.

3 hours ago, jackjill89 said:

Helen is gone. Josh is gone. Merline (are is that Mare-leen) and her stupid hats are gone. I feel like I can finally enjoy this season.

Ha, I thought the same thing!

Edited by ElectricBoogaloo
  • Love 8

I actually liked Ken's outfit...until he was forced to add the granny panties under the sheer/lace. I simply can't help it--granny panties under sheer anything simply looks stupid and are the first place your eyes go--all that blinding white fabric in an otherwise okay garment. A few years ago (the year the plus sized designer had to win, come hell or high water) was the worst/best example of that as all or at best almost all designs had that feature, but c'mon--it just doesn't look good. I get that he said he didn't have enough fabric to cover her goodies but there had to have been a better solution--at least nude colored panties?

Aside from that I actually liked most of the designs, dated though some of them seemed. I'm actually sort of okay and understanding with that; I'm not a huge country fan and don't know what current there either.

• Love 3

I thought Helen's looked "country" for Faith Hill or Shania Twain & Fabio's looked like a Taylor Swift outfit.  Helen hasn't ever been a favorite of mine, but I didn't think hers was worse than Stanley's.  I like Stanley, but that was a sad case of "GarAnimals" walking down the runway.  He should have kept the vest & ditched the skirt.  No "bad-ass" rocker chick would wear a matchy-matchy get up like that. Ken & Anthony's looks were both great, so I'm glad they had a virtual tie.  And if Edmond's too literal rock look winning meant Helen had to go, then OK.  But his look was just so literal - black, fringe & leather.

• Love 7
1 hour ago, LennieBriscoe said:

Of all of the designs, Alyssa said that HELEN'S looked like a costume?!

I didn't think anyone was really on their game this week.

Ugh, I know.  Just because something is Renaissance inspired does not mean it's a costume.  Yes, fashion has influences.  Goodness.  For example Ken was grapevines and Stanley's was Hot Topic, or whatever.  I'm still annoyed at the treatment of Helen's outfit.  I have to just straight up admit I really like her taste and style.  I mostly really enjoy Ken's too.

• Love 5
10 hours ago, RedheadZombie said:

Fabio's didn't scream country, but the look with the model's fluffy blonde hair brought to mind Kimberly from Little Big Town.  Both women in that band are great dressers.  I think Helen's is not far off from Shania Twain in her prime.  Rip of the sleeves and add stripper boots up to the groin, a split seem in the skirt where the crotch is almost exposed, and there you go.  

I thought of Carrie Underwood or Shania Twain when I saw Fabio's. I love Fabio and think he can do no wrong though. Shania in particular used to dress really sexy, didn't she?

I liked Helen's as a dress, but not as a performance outfit for a country singer. I was brought back to the old days of variety shows, like Ed Sullivan. (yes, old). Petula Clark would have rocked something like it, and it would have looked great from the stage and even on the tiny black and white TV's we watched on in those days.

8 hours ago, ichbin said:

The way Fabio's outfit fit his model was wonderful.  I think Stanley was overrated by the judges in past episodes and what he made in this episode was pretty meh. The vest and skirt looked like 70's high school outfits.  I wasn't crazy about any of the other looks either.  

The very best thing in this episode, however, was Alyssa finally wore something that fit and flattered!  The fringe on the jacket even worked.   

Stanley's model looked like a cheerleader. Stripes? Nah. But I like Stanley and I'm glad he stayed.

Alyssa looked ADORABLE. She must have fired her stylist. I loved her hair too.

• Love 7

I was bummed that Aminat wasn't one of the models this week.  I just think she is stunning.

Edmond nailed it.  Good for him.

Sometimes I get Fabio, sometimes I don't. Loved his garment this week.  It was so impeccably fitted and lux.  

Stanley.  Bless his heart.  He really felt like he was bringing his inner Rocker to that challenge and it was a big, fat fail.   Glad he was safe. 

I agree with the Judges that Ken and Anthony were a draw.  Both were great in totally different ways but I think I would've dinged Ken for the granny panties.

Helen's was meh.  I was a little annoyed that she seemed so surprised that she was the lowest score.  Yes, Helen.  Go to the workroom and clean up your space.

• Love 8

There's a newish country star who wears teeny shorts all the time - Kelsea Ballerini. She would wear Fabio's outfit in a video, perhaps in a more youthful print.

Stanley's TH is my everything this week: "Beneath this preppy facade is a rocker." (I'm paraphrasing.) And he's developed a little kick in his step.

Now the eliminations will be painful, because I enjoy watching the remaining five, especially with each other. I'm happy to see Ken's emotional growth, because you cannot get through a personal or professional life when you have temper tantrums and meltdowns.

Edmund's design was the most specific to the challenges, and it was fun to see him win one.

Alyssa looks good in a streamlined silhouette and wavy hair. But her voice is unpleasant to me - the tonation is flat - and sometimes she strains to get a long sentence out - the breath goes.

• Love 6

Another week with a challenge that determines little about who these folks are as clothing designers, imo.  Wasn't bowled over by any of them.  THAT seems to be the running theme.  Mediocrity.

Onward to next week and a 60-minute Candy Crush commercial.

Great.

• Love 1
13 minutes ago, pasdetrois said:

Stanley's TH is my everything this week: "Beneath this preppy facade is a rocker." (I'm paraphrasing.) And he's developed a little kick in his step.

Now the eliminations will be painful, because I enjoy watching the remaining five, especially with each other. I'm happy to see Ken's emotional growth, because you cannot get through a personal or professional life when you have temper tantrums and meltdowns.

I do believe inside the heart of Stanley is a rocker. He was just so giddy about it.  But it didn't translate. 

On a shallow note....Stanley, his glasses and the way his glasses magnify his eyes? I have the same feeling with puppies and kittens.  I just find it so adorable I almost can't stand it.  

The eliminations ARE going to be painful. Well, maybe not Edmond.  Who I like, but his design overall, meh.  Y'all know at this point I desperately want to be an Auntie to Anthony, but Ken, Fabio or Stanley winning would make perfect sense.  

This will be the rare season where any winner will make me happy.  If it's Anthony, there will be an extra little SQUEEEEEE at the announcement of his name. 

Seeing Ken's emotional growth is heartwarming. He's still spicy and he still gets annoyed, but he seems to have learned ways to not go ballistic. Kudos to him.  It's the rare reality personality that changes.

• Love 14

The applique foliage hanging down from the crotch area of Anthony's outfit really bugged me.  Why?  It doesn't make sense.

Helen was the right person to go home.   The best I can say for her this season is that her emotional issues/breakdowns weren't as bad as they were during her past seasons.  This is her third go-round, time to move on for both her and the show.

Edmond's outfit didn't have a speck of innovation in it, but it did fit the instructions best and deserved to win.  

• Love 2

At the end of the episode, after Helen's dismissal, Isaac with hate in his eyes told Stanley something and (IMO) the tone of Isaac's voice, the scowl, etc. it seemed to me to be a threat to Stanley that Stanley would be gone next.  

Earlier someone wrote that Helen had worked for Isaac.  I wonder if he had been actively saving her earlier this season?

• Love 2
11 minutes ago, enoughcats said:

Earlier someone wrote that Helen had worked for Isaac.  I wonder if he had been actively saving her earlier this season?

I thought it was Zac Posen she had worked for but I could be remembering that incorrectly.

• Love 2
3 hours ago, BusyOctober said:

Alyssa looked Ah-may-ZING at the Hard Rock & on the runway!

I had just finished the Hard Rock section and had to back up. You're right-- she did look good; that's why I didn't notice! I wasn't thinking "what the HELL is she wearing????"

• Love 3

I disliked Helen's dress and I'm glad to see her and her negativity go. The black sequins with the bell sleeves and the low hemline seems so drab to me. Along with those heavy black boots it felt like her model was weighed down by the look. I liked Issac's idea of layering it over a blouse or something like that. Something to give it a pop and bring the eye upward.

• Love 3

Anthony's: JLo

Ken: Lourde

Helen: Shania Twain

Fabio: Carrie Underwood

For the life of me, I cannot think of a current rock chick, someone who is not a pop crossover, but pure ROCK. Is there anyone? I can think of Joan Jett and Pat Benetar from the past, but nothing current.

• Love 4

This has been such a lackluster season of PR All Stars. Anthony's personality has been the only saving grace to a pretty boring season. I really don't care who goes week-to-week, especially now that my least favorite people (Helen and Josh) are gone. 

• Love 4
2 hours ago, ElectricBoogaloo said:

I thought it was Zac Posen she had worked for but I could be remembering that incorrectly.

I did some googling and Helen doesn't come up related to Isaac except in the context of the show.  Her bio says that she teaches fashion full time at a high school in Union City, NJ, and has a studio in the Hell's Kitchen area of Manhattan.

• Love 1
17 minutes ago, cpcathy said:

For the life of me, I cannot think of a current rock chick, someone who is not a pop crossover, but pure ROCK

Great point.  I can't think of one either.  I could see Gwen Stefani rocking something like that but she's so eclectic, she can pull off any genre.

I know Mary J Blige is R&B and not pop but I could see her wearing Ken's.  I've seen her in concert and she's got some cool costume changes.  I could totally see her being the diva that would wear the full length, cream colored coat.  And maybe she would take it off...but maybe not.  LOL

• Love 4

I had a problem with a country challenge without even mentioning rhinestones. What’s more sparkly than sequins, Helen? Rhinestones. Women pay hundreds of dollars for rhinestone platform flip flops in Texas. I have a beer koozie with rhinestones. I feel like Fabio would be able to use them with classy restraint and that little detail would push it more country than his little well-made romper. And yes, legit cowboy boots would work with either outfit. Again, here in Texas, cowboy boots are popular with everything, but a lot of college-age women wear them with white or denim short shorts for going out. I think that someone who knows the genre and the culture would be able to take this street wear into a fashion performance look.

• Love 8
3 hours ago, SuprSuprElevated said:

I don't know why your quote didn't come through, you are 100% correct. 

I've always thought it would be fascinating to see yourself on a reality tv show for the purpose of seeing yourself kind of from the outside.  The good and the flaws.  Then you could adjust things to be a better person.

And then I think, what if you're so horrible, you're Claire and/or Shawn, AND YOU HAVE NO IDEA!

EEK!  I think I'll just stay in my anonymous tv judgemental lane.......

1 hour ago, HurricaneVal said:

Somewhere, Claire and Shawn are crying into their Wheaties:  "But that was our challenge!  We dressed Katy Perry!  Whyyyyyyyy?  Why indeed..."

small voice

I think this challenge would have been right up Josh's alley. 

even smaller voice

I wish they could have done this challenge when Josh was still there.

• Love 9

Not like Stella would have :-)

Amanda won in her first season with an outfit for Miranda Lambert, so she probably would have also.

Why no hip hop?

I thought it was plain that Fabio had his girl styled like Kimberly from Little Big Town and that Ken had his styled like Whitney Houston.

• Love 6
2 minutes ago, meep.meep said:

Amanda won in her first season with an outfit for Miranda Lambert, so she probably would have also.

Why no hip hop?

I thought it was plain that Fabio had his girl styled like Kimberly from Little Big Town and that Ken had his styled like Whitney Houston.

Amanda didn't win that challenge, Richard did.  She does love her fringe though.  

11 minutes ago, meep.meep said:

7 minutes ago, Maya S said:

Amanda didn't win that challenge, Richard did.  She does love her fringe though.  

So the show is presenting PR All-Stars as completely separate from PR Original Recipe?   Why did Alyssa say the show had never done a performance wear challenge before, when they've done so many - professional wrestlers, drag queens, circus stiltwalkers, rock band the Sheepdogs, country singer Melissa Lambert, male strippers Thunder Down Under, Finding Neverland Broadway costumes, and that's all I can remember right this second.

• Love 2