Type keyword(s) to search

S06.E10: Rock Your Face Off

• Start Topic

3 hours ago, Lea said:

I had a problem with a country challenge without even mentioning rhinestones. What’s more sparkly than sequins, Helen? Rhinestones. Women pay hundreds of dollars for rhinestone platform flip flops in Texas. I have a beer koozie with rhinestones. I feel like Fabio would be able to use them with classy restraint and that little detail would push it more country than his little well-made romper. And yes, legit cowboy boots would work with either outfit. Again, here in Texas, cowboy boots are popular with everything, but a lot of college-age women wear them with white or denim short shorts for going out. I think that someone who knows the genre and the culture would be able to take this street wear into a fashion performance look.

I'm disappointed that neither of the country people tried for an updated Nudie Suit look. (I'm going by the pictures since I don't get to watch but I'm guessing that no one referenced Nudie Cohn or Nudie Suits -- or probably even knows what they are.)

• Love 2

Did I hear this correctly: Isaac tells the first pair of designers that Edmond’s is better and black is the color to use on stage because it’s all about THIS, darling (the face). Then they proceed to ream Helen and choose two pale outfits?

i actually liked Helen’s a lot. I liked Fabio’s but not as stagewear. 

Isaac is not always as witty as he thinks. A country star at a bar mitzvah? Really? No. 

Also, what was the point of Anthony getting first crack at the jukebox when he wasn’t actually choosing anything?

Edited by Tabbygirl521
  • Love 7

I am so happy Helen is gone, and am I the only one who see's her bodice as a direct copy of the bodice on Stanley's red dress?

I am equally as happy Edmund won. He was due. Its going to be painful from now on because I love all the remaining designers. Didn't love Ken's or Stanley's. I could see Fabio's on Cam, Little Big Town, Carrie Underwood or Miranda Lambert in a video if not on stage. I was waiting for one of the judges to comment on where Anthony's fringe hit.

Agreed that Alyssa looked great, Great, GREAT!

• Love 9
1 hour ago, Snappy said:

I am so happy Helen is gone, and am I the only one who see's her bodice as a direct copy of the bodice on Stanley's red dress?

I just can't see any Country performer going for the boob-crushing bodice Helen produced.  Country stars are all about the cleavage, not those types of bodices.  

The only female performer I can think of these days that's a rocker would be Pink.  She's slightly pop, but I think closer to our traditional 80's female rockers.  I think she would wear Edmond's outfit with a few modifications.  But not what Stanley came up with. 

Edited by leighdear
  • Love 8

Is there some kind of break between the runway show and the critiques? It just always amazes me that all the judges can be eloquent off the cuff.

On another note, I think Fabio is so handsome, and has such a sexy voice. Why does he dress so weirdly?  Just a random thought. 

• Love 2
On 3/15/2018 at 11:08 PM, enoughcats said:

IMO Anthony for the win.  

And I wonder if the infamous Button Bag was reincarnated as a juke box that played whatever tune the producers wanted it to for specific matches with designers?  

I felt like they deliberately paired the 3 strongest designers with the 3 weakest and then things didn't turn out at all like they had expected.

Stanly failed big time, Fabio and Helen were neck and neck IMO, and the Anthony/Ken pairing was never intended to produce a loser because Ken could reasonably be considered one of the top 3 sometimes when Stanley has a bad week. Meanwhile Edmond hit it out of the park. The whole thing seemed designed to make Helen the loser but they didn't expect Stanley to implode like that. I also couldn't quite think of why Helen's dress did say country to me, but once people upthread started mentioning stuff from the past, I was like... yep.. that's it.

Also, Am I the only one who had a flashback to The Blues Brothers with Jake and Elwood trying to figure out "country" music, meanwhile the bar owner saying "We got BOTH kinds here... Country AND Western!"... yeah.. that's about how far over the designers' heads "Country" seemed to go. But maybe it's a music problem, not a design problem... most music seems crossover now. Pop-Rock. Country-Rock. Pop-Country... 

My favorite  Hard Rock station changed genre's to "Classic Rock" recently and now they play all this stuff from the mid-late 70's. They used to play Metallica, 9 Inch Nails, Rob Zombie.... If I hear a Black Sabbath or Metallica piece now, I sit in the car until it's over because I don't know when I'll hear another one. Even "Rock" means many different genres, and they actually seem more distinct sometimes than the difference between Rock and Pop, or Rock and Country.

On 3/15/2018 at 11:34 PM, Ms Blue Jay said:

Ugh I am soooooooo annoyed.  That idiot judge - Olivia Culpo (sp?!) -- who the helll!?!?!?!?!?!??!?   Was wearing the exact same silhouette that Helen put out.  Yet she had soooooo much shit to talk about Helen's outfit.  What a know-nothing nothingburger of a person.

Even though I don't love Helen's personality, her outfit was my favourite this week, and way better than Fabio's.  I don't give a shit about country music but that outfit was gorgeous, so romantic, so beautiful, so luxurious.  I want to buy it and wear it NOW.  I loved it.

Fabio's was nothing.  The hype is overwrought.

Stanley is one of the best designers there. I wanted to cry and hug Stanley.  He's just so wonderful.  It isn't fair!  So what if he doesn't know how to dress a stupid rock chick!

Anyway.  Hard to complain about the top 4 because I know they're loved by most of us.  But I did love Helen's sequin outfit, especially more than Fabio's. 

29216165_10105905867765732_7429808795150188544_o.jpg29214009_10105905867830602_7955711679231164416_o.jpg

I think Helen was the predetermined auf'ee, and they had to justify sending her home and keeping Stanley. I truly believe the results caught the show-runners unprepared. The disdain for Helen's look seemed excessive to me given some of the other results (and I don't like Helen)

19 hours ago, ElectricBoogaloo said:

The challenge was to design something for a musician to wear during a performance. The reward was designing a t-shirt for the Hard Rock Cafe.

I have several Hard Rock Cafe T-shirts. They are all exactly alike except the location name. Hard Rock logo and city name. What kind of "design" for a T-shirt are they looking for? Maybe I'm out of touch with current trends... do the shirts now have different designs?

14 hours ago, enoughcats said:

At the end of the episode, after Helen's dismissal, Isaac with hate in his eyes told Stanley something and (IMO) the tone of Isaac's voice, the scowl, etc. it seemed to me to be a threat to Stanley that Stanley would be gone next.  

Earlier someone wrote that Helen had worked for Isaac.  I wonder if he had been actively saving her earlier this season?

Didn't Stanley just win a chance to work with Issac? Or was it Zac? Or have both Issac and Zac offered prizes this season that involved working with them after the show? You see how mesmerizing this show is? I can't remember stuff like that from one week to the next, much less remember who won each week. Anyway, I haven't noticed that Issac has it in for Stanley. I'm pretty sure Stanley just won a chance to collaborate with one of the judges.

12 hours ago, cpcathy said:

For the life of me, I cannot think of a current rock chick, someone who is not a pop crossover, but pure ROCK. Is there anyone? I can think of Joan Jett and Pat Benetar from the past, but nothing current.

Is Melissa Etheridge still recording?

Edited by slothgirl
  • Love 3
10 hours ago, ratgirlagogo said:

So the show is presenting PR All-Stars as completely separate from PR Original Recipe?   Why did Alyssa say the show had never done a performance wear challenge before, when they've done so many - professional wrestlers, drag queens, circus stiltwalkers, rock band the Sheepdogs, country singer Melissa Lambert, male strippers Thunder Down Under, Finding Neverland Broadway costumes, and that's all I can remember right this second.

And ice skating costumes!

• Love 1
10 hours ago, Snappy said:

and am I the only one who see's her bodice as a direct copy of the bodice on Stanley's red dress?

No, I wrote about it yesterday! :)

It was so obvious, I'm surprised no judge mentioned it.

• Love 2

I'm always happy when they kick Helen off, but to be honest they were all ok this week. Nowadays there is no definitive style for Rock, Pop or Country - they are so broad and have to many subcategories and crossovers that unless they give them specific artists to design for, it is almost impossible to miss the mark.

Give them 'Early 2000s Eurovision', 'Folk Death Metal' and 'Honky Tonk' next time.

• Love 10
8 hours ago, dosodog said:

Sigh.

That none of us can come up with a modern, female rocker, makes my heart a little heavy.

Are we all old?  Or is rock lacking women?

Hayley Williams of Paramore, Molly Rankin of Alvvays, St. Vincent, Lauren Mayberry of Chvrches, the sisters in Haim, Ellie Roswell of Wolf Alice, Courtney Barnett, Emily Haines of Metric, the women in Mother, Mother and Brittany Howard of Alabama Shakes come to mind for me. The women are out there but they just don't seem to get the awards attention or radio play. 

• Love 5
9 hours ago, dosodog said:

Sigh.

That none of us can come up with a modern, female rocker, makes my heart a little heavy.

Unfortunately, it seems like rock is dying off (literally & figuratively).  I've never been a viewer of any of the music contest shows except AI, and I stopped watching that with the JLo era, but if I use that as a guage, I can recall that Daughtry was a rocker, and that Adam guy who joined Queen was a rocker, but they go pretty far back.  I can't recall a female on AI that was a pure rocker.  Kelly Clarkson dabbled in it for a couple of songs, but she's pretty much a pop/crossover artist.  The genre is in desperate need of a boost from the younger generations.  Our poor 70's rockers are getting tired.  And worse.

eta - If I knew how to "move" this to small talk, I would.  Apologize for the thread hijack.

Edited by SuprSuprElevated
  • Love 5

The Wilson sisters of Heart are still touring. We've seen them several times in the past five years in large and small venues. This past year they were doing individual solo projects (due apparently to some internal family drama). Nancy, the guitarist, is attached to several big rock bands, too, popping up on their tour schedules.

• Love 1
13 minutes ago, pasdetrois said:

The Wilson sisters of Heart are still touring. We've seen them several times in the past five years in large and small venues. This past year they were doing individual solo projects (due apparently to some internal family drama). Nancy, the guitarist, is attached to several big rock bands, too, popping up on their tour schedules.

Good call.  They too however, are gathering rings around their trunks.  We need an infusion of youth!

• Love 7
5 minutes ago, SuprSuprElevated said:

They too however, are gathering rings around their trunks.  We need an infusion of youth!

Love this phrase.  

Can we extend it to say with more rings comes more heartwood?

• Love 7
6 hours ago, Sarnia said:

No, I wrote about it yesterday! :)

It was so obvious, I'm surprised no judge mentioned it.

Thanks. I DVR'd it, and never read the comments before I add mine, as to not be influenced. Great minds think alike.

• Love 1

Female Rockers

Avril Lavigne, Sheryl Crow, Amy Lee of Evanescence (love her!), Chelsea Wolfe, Esben and the Witch lead singer, Bully's lead singer (she is freaking amazing), Stevie Nicks, Courtney Love in the 90s, Alanis Morissette, the women who used to be in Smashing Pumpkins (LOL), 

My favourite of all time was Dolores O'Riordan :( 

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
  • Love 3
On 3/15/2018 at 10:03 PM, Jordan Baker said:

PHEW!!

I was so afraid for Stanley. Helen is talented, but I've never been able to get past her personality, and so I'm not sorry to see her go.

110% with you there ... funny thing is it seemed at the very end, she somehow softened and seemed ALMOST likable for the first time EVER. Still I was happy to see her go. Have always found her insufferable, and way too impressed with her "talent" when I've never liked anything she's designed. (Obviously, YMMV).

On 3/15/2018 at 10:41 PM, RedheadZombie said:

not exactly sure of Fabio's ethnicity).

On 3/15/2018 at 10:09 PM, jette said:

Not sure if it qualifies as ethnicity but I've always assumed he's of Brazilian descent. 

On 3/16/2018 at 10:03 AM, dosodog said:

This will be the rare season where any winner will make me happy.  If it's Anthony, there will be an extra little SQUEEEEEE at the announcement of his name. 

YES YES YES but for me replace "Anthony" with "Fabio." (With Edmund and Stanley as my back-ups because I liked them so much on their original seasons and felt they kind of got overshadowed)

• Love 2

IN RE FABIO.....Oh honey I am all about a man who constantly wears a skirt and is totally macho as well, with that fabulous deep voice that Fabio has....ahhhhhhh. Plus, he is a very interesting designer, I love him. He's one strange dude. When he was first on Project Runway he talked about actually eating food out of dumpsters and other places when he was interviewed, YES I AM SERIOUS. And no, it was not from poverty, it was for some strange reason about sustaining stuff, I forget, but it was beyond the pale.  Hey man, I'm veggie, but I have a wide red line with garbage food. Doesn't matter, maybe he stopped that, anyway LOVE HIM. 

• Love 5
20 hours ago, dosodog said:

Sigh.

Rock is lacking women. When I was a teen, Shirley Manson was THE badass female rock star, she was my idol and still remains so, and she is still making albums and performing live. Awesome, beautiful woman 

• Love 2
20 hours ago, dosodog said:

Sigh.

To add to some of those already said, I nominate Lzzy Hale from Halestorm and Taylor Momsen from The Pretty Reckless.

• Love 3
22 hours ago, dosodog said:

Sigh.

I think rock barely exists anymore, male or female.  Sure we can probably all name some male and female rock musicians who are still around, but rock seriously lacks the "superstars" these days compared to other genres of music.  I'm talking current, active rock stars who are household names and not for primarily nostalgia reasons.  Most of those who have been listed in this thread are either not all that well known, or are mostly known for their earlier work. Rock needs to make a serious comeback! 

They should've probably had hip hop be the 3rd genre (instead of rock) if they wanted to mirror 3 things that are hot in the music industry right now. 

BTW, Rebecca Minkoff should permanently replace what's her name as the mentor. She is 100% more knowledgeable, thoughtful and articulate in her critiques. 

• Love 8

I liked Helen's dress (and she' been doing corsets and bodices all season. My thought was of a "Gothic" country band like The Band Perry.

On 3/16/2018 at 11:03 AM, cpcathy said:

For the life of me, I cannot think of a current rock chick, someone who is not a pop crossover, but pure ROCK. Is there anyone? I can think of Joan Jett and Pat Benetar from the past, but nothing current.

On 3/16/2018 at 4:47 PM, leighdear said:

The only female performer I can think of these days that's a rocker would be Pink.  She's slightly pop, but I think closer to our traditional 80's female rockers.

P!nk is definitely a rocker, with a hint of punk (especially her videos).

As far as other rock bands, Offspring is still going strong, as are Queens of the Stone Age.  To quote a pop singer from my generation "Hey, hey, my,my... Rock and Roll will never die"!

14 hours ago, Ms Blue Jay said:

Stevie Nicks,

Stevie [blech] Nicks is not, has never been and will never be, a rocker.  She's pop pablum and I curse the day Lindsay Buckingham brought her into Fleetwood Mac.

11 hours ago, atlantaloves said:

IN RE FABIO.....Oh honey I am all about a man who constantly wears a skirt and is totally macho as well, with that fabulous deep voice that Fabio has....ahhhhhhh. Plus, he is a very interesting designer, I love him. He's one strange dude. When he was first on Project Runway he talked about actually eating food out of dumpsters and other places when he was interviewed, YES I AM SERIOUS. And no, it was not from poverty, it was for some strange reason about sustaining stuff, I forget, but it was beyond the pale.  Hey man, I'm veggie, but I have a wide red line with garbage food. Doesn't matter, maybe he stopped that, anyway LOVE HIM. 

The official name is freeganism. People who practice it are called freegans. The basic tenet behind it is that there is a lot of perfectly good food that grocery stores, restaurants, bakeries, etc. have to throw away so it's going to waste. There are lots of articles about freeganism, but this one is pretty informative.

• Love 3
6 hours ago, iggysaurus said:

I think rock barely exists anymore, male or female.  Sure we can probably all name some male and female rock musicians who are still around, but rock seriously lacks the "superstars" these days compared to other genres of music.  I'm talking current, active rock stars who are household names and not for primarily nostalgia reasons.  Most of those who have been listed in this thread are either not all that well known, or are mostly known for their earlier work. Rock needs to make a serious comeback! 

They should've probably had hip hop be the 3rd genre (instead of rock) if they wanted to mirror 3 things that are hot in the music industry right now. 

BTW, Rebecca Minkoff should permanently replace what's her name as the mentor. She is 100% more knowledgeable, thoughtful and articulate in her critiques. 

I agree with your thoughts on rock as a genre.  It's on life support.

The problem with Rebecca Minkoff  is that she isn't the Editor-In-Chief of Marie Claire magazine which not-so coincidentally is published by Hearst Magazines, which not-so-coincidentally also owns Lifetime Television, which broadcasts PR & PRAS, which is not-so-coincidentally produced by The Weinstein Company, formerly headed by Harv The Perv, who is not-so-coincidentally the soon-to-be ex-husband of The Lovely Georgina Chapman, who is no-so-coincidentally a judge on PRAS.  And that's the problem with Rebecca Minkoff as mentor.

I know you guys know this stuff, but it's kinda fun to see the giant cluster screw all written out isn't it?  

• Love 11
6 hours ago, iggysaurus said:

...BTW, Rebecca Minkoff should permanently replace what's her name as the mentor. She is 100% more knowledgeable, thoughtful and articulate in her critiques. 

If you like having $cientos around, yes. But if you don't, better to stay far far far away from her :)

• Love 2
On 3/17/2018 at 2:09 AM, slothgirl said:

I have several Hard Rock Cafe T-shirts. They are all exactly alike except the location name. Hard Rock logo and city name. What kind of "design" for a T-shirt are they looking for? Maybe I'm out of touch with current trends... do the shirts now have different designs?

My son bought an Imagine Dragons Hard Rock Cafe shirt in Florence.  I guess in addition to the classic ones you describe, they have ones commemorating tours and whatever.

(It has birds on it.)

Edited by Jobiska
  • Love 1
On 3/17/2018 at 2:09 AM, slothgirl said:

have several Hard Rock Cafe T-shirts. They are all exactly alike except the location name. Hard Rock logo and city name. What kind of "design" for a T-shirt are they looking for? Maybe I'm out of touch with current trends... do the shirts now have different designs?

There are many designs now. If you look up Hard Rock merch online you’ll see quite a variety. 

I'll tend to agree on the theory that "rock" as we knew it growing up (and even among us that are "grownups" there will be a big schism ... chasm ... right word please? ... among decades) doesn't really exist anymore per se. IMHO nowadays "rock" is such a catch-all it is automatically broken down into a ton of sub- and sub-sub-genres. It's almost like "rock and roll" as we knew it ended at least a decade or two ago. And I think that while "country" is definitely its own genre, there is a lot of cross over between pop and rock etc. CERTAINLY in terms of "fashion" anyway, so kind of an odd challenge and as such one I think they couldn't really judge based on whether the designer nailed the genre as much as did he (or she, or s/he or whatever terms are being used these days) create a fun, creative outfit someone could comfortably perform in and still look kick-ass.

Fun, though, to see some of the names thrown out in here. I have never been a real straight-ahead "rock" fan (Steely Dan is probably the closest I come) but Little Snappy (who is not so little anymore but rather a real adult working in the music industry and more gainfully employed than I have been in years) just got back from a week working at SXSW and I am sure if I pick her brain she could add a few as well (I know she is a huge fan of Alvvays). My tastes tend to fall in the acoustic/harmonic singer-songwriter genre (I didn't like Stevie Nicks but I LOVED her clothes), really good straight catchy pop (not Top 40 but more like Fountains of Wayne, a lot of NRBQ, etc.) and great old-school R&B. I think they could have had a great face-off if they'd gone the R&B diva route as a category but not enough designers left at that point I guess.

The fact that at least two people IIRC did the horns thing with their hands (Stanley and someone else?) referring to "rock" shows how dated the term has become. Do people still do that? Didn't that go out with, like, KISS?

I think this is why I really loved Fabio's design for this challenge. He didn't go over the top, he made something that was actually timeless and fashionable, that a performer could wear comfortably, under hot lights, move around in and still be luminous without looking like she was wearing a costume. That said, I was glad to see Edmund get a win and I bet his design would look great onstage and also be comfortable. (Comfort underrated in this department ... performers have enough to worry about without having to be constrained, too hot, or worrying about a nip slip or something).  

Edited by PamelaMaeSnap
  • Love 1
6 hours ago, SuprSuprElevated said:

she isn't the Editor-In-Chief of Marie Claire

I was trying to remember what Nina was affiliated with at the beginning.  And I realized that I just don't remember the evolution of the "mentors" other than Tim and how some have become Editor in Chielf and others have taken a lot longer.  

It might be that I identify with the sewers a lot more.  But I sort of remember Nina bouncing from job to job.  And someone left mentoring to become EIC of ???Cosmo.

30 minutes ago, enoughcats said:

I was trying to remember what Nina was affiliated with at the beginning.  And I realized that I just don't remember the evolution of the "mentors" other than Tim and how some have become Editor in Chielf and others have taken a lot longer.  

It might be that I identify with the sewers a lot more.  But I sort of remember Nina bouncing from job to job.  And someone left mentoring to become EIC of ???Cosmo.

I’m rewatching season 4 of PR with my students (can’t wait until they see the avant garde challenge!). Nina was Fashion Director of Elle magazine in that season.  And Joanna (Coles?) was with Cosmo when she mentored. Can’t remember if it was PR or PRAS. 

• Love 1

I’m going to disagree that Rock is dying or that it’s become more fractioned. Perhaps Classic Rock stations are making people think that twenty or thirty years ago, that genre was less broad? I feel like I’m hearing more women in contemporary Rock (on the radio!) than I have in the past - although y’all have named some badass women across the ages! But that’s the thing - it’s across many decades. 

Another woman rocker - Maria Brink of In This Moment. She tends to dress fetishy, so Josh would have probably made something fitting for her. 

What I got out of this challenge is that the designers and judges are generally out of touch with “performance wear” other than for pop performances at award shows. 

• Love 1
10 hours ago, SuprSuprElevated said:

Fleetwood Mac wasn't exactly Metal.  He probably curses that day too, but for different reasons than you do.   Stevie Nicks complimented their style/sound quite nicely imo.

But yeah!  Pink!

They went from blues (in the Dead Trees era) to rock (by the time of Rumors) and specifically brought Buckingham on board to "harden" their sound. 

1 hour ago, jhlipton said:

They went from blues (in the Dead Trees era) to rock (by the time of Rumors) and specifically brought Buckingham on board to "harden" their sound. 

Buckingham and Nicks were brought in as a unit - they'd been playing together for years. I'm another who loves Stevie's look more than her music.

• Love 1
6 hours ago, enoughcats said:

Nina was with Elle, and came to Marie Claire at about the time that PR underwent the change in networks, etc.  (I think)  I was thinking she was Creative Director or something like that for MC

4 hours ago, Pallida said:

What I got out of this challenge is that the designers and judges are generally out of touch with “performance wear” other than for pop performances at award shows. 

raccoon applauding.gif

• Love 4

I think 'rock' is a subjective term.  I would never say Pink is rock.  She's pop to me.  But rock is one of those genres that can encompass a wide range of music.

• Love 4

I remember a challenge like this in Season 5. Twist: the designers were also the models! I believe it was just Leanne, Kenley, Korto, Suede and Jerrod. I think Suede wore Jerrod's winning outfit (rock), but what I remember best is Kenley's hip hop outfit that Leanne wore as she slouched down the runway.

• Love 2
On 3/17/2018 at 8:51 AM, vibeology said:

Hayley Williams of Paramore, Molly Rankin of Alvvays, St. Vincent, Lauren Mayberry of Chvrches, the sisters in Haim, Ellie Roswell of Wolf Alice, Courtney Barnett, Emily Haines of Metric, the women in Mother, Mother and Brittany Howard of Alabama Shakes come to mind for me. The women are out there but they just don't seem to get the awards attention or radio play. 

Also, Jenny Lewis who's solo now, but was the lead for Rilo Kiley.

• Love 1