Type keyword(s) to search

Roseanne: Domestic Goddess of All Media

tessaray

Just now, nodorothyparker said:

I'm more than a little surprised and impressed as I thought ABC would try to mealy mouth this into some kind of damage control and hope it blew over before the show came back for the new season.  

Same here. I was expecting a PR statement excusing her comments. Guess, she was too hot for ABC especially with their decision not to air that episode of Black-ish.  I was so excited for the revival, but then I read her NY Times interview and decided no way I was watching the show. Boy, did I get that one right.

• Love 14

She just stupidly pissed away a hit show.  Good luck getting work again.

Let's be real: she's going to have plenty of opportunities and money thrown her way. I feel badly for all the people she just put out of work who 1) don't share her abhorrent views, and 2) aren't going to have people lining up to throw money at them.

• Love 21
1 minute ago, hendersonrocks said:

Let's be real: she's going to have plenty of opportunities and money thrown her way. I feel badly for all the people she just put out of work who 1) don't share her abhorrent views, and 2) aren't going to have people lining up to throw money at them.

She's obviously filthy rich but she was more or less banished into a corner before the revival. I can't see even any conservative outlets touching someone with such horrible impulse control.  

• Love 8

Shit.

Shit shit shit.

I loved this show. 

Shit.

Why? Why can't we all just....why?

I will never understand....we're either hot or cold. Never anything in between. 

I'm just....shit....

This is why we can't have nice things.

• Love 18

I had read her show was going to become more political during the second season.

This was not a revival. This was Roseanne using a beloved show to use as her platform.

I am sorry for the rest of the cast, particularly Michael Fishman, who seemed so excited and happy to be on the show again and have a chance to be in front of the camera again.

• Love 16

Wow. I tried to give her the benefit of the doubt and even defended her, but whatever vindication Trump supporters got from the success of this revival should be gone now. She really showed her ass.

• Love 17
23 minutes ago, nodorothyparker said:

I'm more than a little surprised and impressed as I thought ABC would try to mealy mouth this into some kind of damage control and hope it blew over before the show came back for the new season.  

I'm sure some sponsors were ready to bail on the show.

• Love 9
(edited)

Wow, this sucks. Is it possible for another network to pick up the show? I'd hate for all the cast and crew to lose their jobs like that.

What she said was awful but I have mixed feelings. Plenty of celebrities and reporters said nasty and vicious things about Melania and Barron Trump and managed to retain their jobs.

Edited by BitterApple
  • Love 6
3 minutes ago, ItCouldBeWorse said:

It's also possible that, behind the scenes, some of her costars told ABC that they were no longer comfortable being associated with her.

I think the core cast would have majorly conflicted feelings about continuing, but I think many of the newbies, who have no longstanding personal relationship with Barr, would say, "No money is worth this," and walk.  So I think ABC wanted to save face by being the one to pull the plug rather than clinging to a sinking, toxic ship until the point they'd have to cancel it.

• Love 8
39 minutes ago, Mmmfloorpie said:

Gilbert, Goodman, Metcalf will be just fine. 

I feel worst for Goranson and Fishman. This show is all they've had going on in the last 20 years.

I actually think Lecy will be fine. She's done guest spots/indie movies/plays over the years. 

• Love 3
7 minutes ago, Mmmfloorpie said:

The actress who plays Harris just tweeted she called her manager to quit but then found out it was cancelled.

Everyone is going to distance themselves as much as possible.   I do wonder if John Goodman will say something or be silent.

• Love 6
3 minutes ago, Bastet said:

I think the core cast would have majorly conflicted feelings about continuing, but I think many of the newbies, who have no longstanding personal relationship with Barr, would say, "No money is worth this," and walk.  So I think ABC wanted to save face by being the one to pull the plug rather than clinging to a sinking, toxic ship until the point they'd have to cancel it.

I kind of thought the opposite; lesser known crew/cast have fewer options for employment.  The core cast can afford to walk away, but don't want to be held responsible for everyone else losing their jobs, so they would reach out to ABC to do what needed to be done.

• Love 5

I was coming here to post that I could not reconcile the Sara Gilbert I've seen on her talk show with someone who would want to benefit financially from Roseanne - I'd like to believe that perhaps one reason the show got cancelled so swiftly is because the bigger names attached to it (Gilbert, Goodman and Metcalfe) all said they were walking.  Even if that's not the case I'd like to believe they called her out on her racist crap.  

• Love 18

I don't watch the reboot, but was watching MSNBC about an hour ago, and the entirely African-American set of journalist/panelists was saying that ABC was not going to pull a hit show because of her disgusting tweet, but that they would need to create some distance or a "pause" for the show.  But no one thought ABC would have the guts to cancel a successful show because of overt racism. I hope that panel is having a very good lunch today.  

• Love 12
(edited)
40 minutes ago, hnygrl said:

Shit.

Shit shit shit.

I loved this show. 

Shit.

Why? Why can't we all just....why?

I will never understand....we're either hot or cold. Never anything in between. 

I'm just....shit....

This is why we can't have nice things.

This is me. I GREW UP with this show. I LOVE the original show. And I was actually really enjoying the new show, too.

Damn it, Roseanne! 

Edited by UYI
  • Love 12

This fucking idiot.

Can they kill Roseanne off and retool the show as the Connors, and tone down the depressive air?

im so pissed that she did this.  She just threw away a lot of people’s livelihoods.  

Fucking bitch.  She needs to be committed. 

• Love 23
2 minutes ago, CherryAmes said:

I was coming here to post that I could not reconcile the Sara Gilbert I've seen on her talk show with someone who would want to benefit financially from Roseanne - I'd like to believe that perhaps one reason the show got cancelled so swiftly is because the bigger names attached to it (Gilbert, Goodman and Metcalfe) all said they were walking.  Even if that's not the case I'd like to believe they called her out on her racist crap.  

I'd like to hope this, also.  And I hope the industry steps up to help place all the crew and actors who have been put out of work by her idiocy and racism.

• Love 6
13 minutes ago, ItCouldBeWorse said:

She smeared Muslims and black women/people in one short tweet. There is also a long, sordid history behind the second part of her "comment".  She insulted far more people than just Valerie Jarrett.

yep, and hi everyone is entitled to their opinion. roseanne also slams men routinely in her comedy, and hey we can put up with it.

I understand ABC's decision to cancel the show; there is no way to excuse the highly offensive nature of Roseanne's off-screen comments. It horrifies me that someone who has enjoyed so much success and good fortune in her life can respond by spewing such hateful, ignorant language. 

Had the show continued despite this, I think it would have done significant damage to the careers and reputations of everyone else involved. People would ask how the supporting actors and crew could associate with someone who said such vile things. In that sense, I am relieved that Laurie Metcalf, John Goodman, Sara Gilbert, etc. are free from this mess, but I will miss seeing them every week. 

Saddened for the lesser-known names who just lost their jobs and won't bounce back as easily. I am also upset that Roseanne seems hell-bent on destroying the legacy of what was a great series. 

• Love 20
1 minute ago, Colorado David said:
15 minutes ago, ItCouldBeWorse said:

She smeared Muslims and black women/people in one short tweet. There is also a long, sordid history behind the second part of her "comment".  She insulted far more people than just Valerie Jarrett.

yep, and hi everyone is entitled to their opinion. roseanne also slams men routinely in her comedy, and hey we can put up with it.

Again, I would urge people to research the history of the second part of her tweet.

• Love 19
1 minute ago, ItCouldBeWorse said:

Do you think that her costars would want to continue to work with her?

do i judge a person based on one tweet? name one person who has not said something wrong. the wrongness is stemming from it's a tweet.

• Love 3
4 minutes ago, jjj said:

I don't watch the reboot, but was watching MSNBC about an hour ago, and the entirely African-American set of journalist/panelists was saying that ABC was not going to pull a hit show because of her disgusting tweet, but that they would need to create some distance or a "pause" for the show.  But no one thought ABC would have the guts to cancel a successful show because of overt racism. I hope that panel is having a very good lunch today.  

I cannot imagine the reaction on the set of Blackish, if ABC had done nothing, or made excuses for Roseanne on this one. They're probably already pissed off with ABC not showing their episode about the NFL "taking a knee."  My guess is that the entire cast would have walked out. 

• Love 9
2 minutes ago, Apprentice79 said:

I feel really bad for Sarah Gilbert. She was really proud of the show's revival. I will never understand the need to put every thought that comes into mind in a tweet.

Some people can't help themselves. It's called "insert foot in mouth" disease. 

• Love 3
1 minute ago, Colorado David said:

do i judge a person based on one tweet? name one person who has not said something wrong. the wrongness is stemming from it's a tweet.

I think there's been more than one ugly tweet. 

We'll probably never know, but ABC might have placed a clause in her contract specifically regarding her propensity for tweeting such things.

• Love 9

I wonder if they might consider rebooting the reboot to The Conners with the remaining cast sans Roseanne? It has been done before when cast members have walked/been fired or died. 

Can you imaging Dan entering the dating scene? Jackie moving in to help with the running of the household  (all the while remaining a life coach)? It could work....

• Love 14

I'm shocked but happy that they put their foot down like this. It's a huge move no one expected. I wonder if anyone else will pick up the show. Someone on Twitter suggested "NRA TV". Not sure if that's real...

But they better not pick it up. I feel sorry for the crew, but it's not worth it.

• Love 3
2 minutes ago, shouldbedancing said:

I'm shocked but happy that they put their foot down like this. It's a huge move no one expected. I wonder if anyone else will pick up the show. Someone on Twitter suggested "NRA TV". Not sure if that's real...

But they better not pick it up. I feel sorry for the crew, but it's not worth it.

People need paychecks, but I think some of the current cast would not travel down that road.

• Love 4
(edited)
17 minutes ago, jjj said:

But no one thought ABC would have the guts to cancel a successful show because of overt racism.

That's why I think ABC was on notice that season eleven was going to be missing quite a few cast members, and that is the reason they canceled it.  To get out ahead of it, instead of it being the cast members saying, "No, not going to associate with this" and the network standing there like a bunch of spineless enablers who'd happily tolerate her actions for the money the show brought in.

Edited by Bastet
  • Love 12