Type keyword(s) to search

Roseanne: Domestic Goddess of All Media

tessaray

5 hours ago, Nordly Beaumont said:

I can't imagine the reboot winning Emmys for anything anyway. The show was uneven and the acting sure wasn't Emmy caliber.

Awards are often given out more due to things like aggressive campaigning, buzz, and popularity. John Goodman and Laurie Metcalf were widely predicted as nominees by the pundits on GoldDerby, not only because of their performances, but because they're well-known industry veterans who have name recognition within the Academy. Also, Laurie was having a spectacular year up until this morning, having scored Oscar and Tony nominations within a few months of each other. That kind of momentum creates the buzz that awards season narratives are made of--she could have been one of a few actors in history to be nominated for all major awards in one year. 

• Love 9

That about sums it up. Bye Roseanne. This isn't about free speech or else she could be heading to jail right now.  This was inevitable, this is who she has been for a while now. As for the rest of the cast, unless contractually obligated, I think they should avoid media for a while and just shut it. There's no winning with this one. A few of the statements from people involved came across as clear virtue signaling. You were involved, this isn't new, so quit acting like you deserve a fucking medal. In a few days no one will give a damn anymore, Roseanne will continue to kick her marbles around on Twitter, and there will be a brand new situation to be outraged over. Rinse, wash, repeat. This is beyond exhausting at this point. 

• Love 8
(edited)

I see she claimed via Twitter that ambien made her act that way,

DebEsdvW4AE30b-?format=jpg

But she deleted that.

Then she seems to have tweeted that she didn’t know the woman was black, thought she was saudi

kowfzgync3wuhhkatflh.jpg

And later on tweeted she thought the woman was a Persian jew. 

svcn9wm7mx4dsustr2th.jpg

Edited by Kokapetl

I wish she would just stop with the excuses. She equated herself with other public figures that get away with saying offensive shit on Twitter and in the public eye with no consequences and thought she could do the same.I wish she would just admit that and move on.

• Love 7

Roseanne wrote this earlier: "I’m tired of being attacked & belittled more than other comedians who have said worse."

She just doesn't get it. She isn't sorry at all, doesn't feel bad about what she said. I thought, maybe, she was going to use this shitshow as an opportunity to not be a terrible person anymore. But no, she just revels in her particular brand of awful.

I deliberately and shamefully turned a blind eye so I could watch a reboot of a show I used to love. Lesson learned. 

• Love 13
11 hours ago, windsprints said:

Micheal Fishman tweeted a statement earlier today (apologies if this has been posted and I missed it. I scrolled back and didn't see it):

she replied to this tweet:

Roseanne Barr‏Verified account @therealroseanne 5h5 hours ago

More

Replying to @ReelMFishman

i created the platform for that inclusivity and you know http://it.ME . You throw me under the bus. nice!

• Love 3

Her slamming the cast for her mouth errrr fingers is stunning. Watching The Talk this afternoon to see Sara. Roseanne fucked all of the cast and crew. I can't believe she is going after them. I'd be under a rock!

• Love 4

Remember when she said she was deleting her Twitter account as a result of what she said about Valerie Jerrit?

Pretty obvious in hindsight that was just a vane attempt at saving the show. Now that the show is cancelled, she's still on Twitter spewing hateful things.

• Love 7
4 hours ago, asabovesobelow said:

Roseanne wrote this earlier: "I’m tired of being attacked & belittled more than other comedians who have said worse."

I'm seeing similar comments from those trying to defend her. "Yeah, but...but...what about x celebrity/show?" First off, every time people try and ask them for examples of what other celebrities said that was equally as bad as Roseanne, you get no response.

And second, who gives a shit about those people? We're not talking about them right now. We're talking about Roseanne. People need to stick to the subject at hand and quit trying to excuse or defend her bullshit. If any other celebrities say or do something equally as stupid and horrible, they'll get called out in their own time. 

56 minutes ago, Picture It. Sicily said:

Michael Fishman is a class act.

He really is. And that Ambien tweet is beautiful.

Roseanne, shut up and go away like you said you would already. 

• Love 14
4 minutes ago, Annber03 said:

I'm seeing similar comments from those trying to defend her. "Yeah, but...but...what about x celebrity/show?" First off, every time people try and ask them for examples of what other celebrities said that was equally as bad as Roseanne, you get no response.

And second, who gives a shit about those people? We're not talking about them right now. We're talking about Roseanne. People need to stick to the subject at hand and quit trying to excuse or defend her bullshit. If any other celebrities say or do something equally as stupid and horrible, they'll get called out in their own time. 

He really is. And that Ambien tweet is beautiful.

Roseanne, shut up and go away like you said you would already. 

It's chronic Whataboutism. There's a lot of it going around.

• Love 15

Here's some news, from Entertainment Weekly:

There could be a scenario in the works where ABC salvages significant parts of Roseanne without having to say goodbye to some of the best actors on television (here’s looking at you, Laurie Metcalf and John Goodman). Though ABC made a swift decision Tuesday to cancel the successful reboot, EW has learned that ABC has not exactly washed its hands of the family comedy.

• Love 9
5 hours ago, Picture It. Sicily said:

Michael Fishman is a class act.

He really is. And you can practically hear the pain in his response to her. 

This whole thing is like a train wreck I can’t look away from. 

I thought she said she was leaving Twitter. She can’t be sorry for what she said while she’s busy retweeting the people defending her and lashing out at the cast. 

Love the Sanofi tweet! 

• Love 11

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=1789181457841847&id=103168663109810

Fishman was in all of 10 minutes of this season but I somehow feel the worst for him.  Not because he lost a job but because this is obviously tearing him up. 

Spoiler

Many of my earliest memories were shared with the world. The rarest of opportunities to grow up in a social tempest built to push boundaries, test ideologies, and embrace inclusion. Shaped from the top it carved a legacy of painfully authentic family struggles, that crossed through televisions and consoled millions. It was almost perfect in its imperfection. The Roseanne show and its messages speak for themselves, with an undeniable heart no one can ignore.

Like the show itself, no one person required blind allegiance, no one character was always right. Our characters like ourselves were flawed, handling pressure and anxiety with varying success. When we ended the first time I was a lost and heartbroken teenager, searching awkwardly in a public world. I took the lessons I learned at work, through trial and error, and started deciding the type of person I wanted to be.
Success happens when you refuse to waste a day. Each day moving slightly toward your dreams. A successful person is not the one who makes the fewest mistakes, but rather the one who learns the most from them. I do not see myself any better or worse than anyone else. I am flawed, make mistakes, and often fail like all those reading this. Each mistake must serve a purpose. Take setbacks, refocus and let them fuel us to accomplish goals.

Words have tremendous power, no one knows this better than the writer. When words are hurtful we must learn from these moments, to find a way to learn from them, to become better going forward. For it is the process of improving oneself. Perhaps this is a line of delineation where more is required of social influencers and public figures. With transparency, societal standards are raised, leading to a better more honest world. Then perhaps our show will have left one final legacy.

For me I can only control those things within my control.  I can choose how I respond. The effort I give, and attitude I carry, are all part of the process of improving myself in the present. We choose each day the words we want to be described by. I strive to have integrity, to be relentless, kind, forgiving, respectful, and loyal. I like all those around me, am a work in progress. In these darkest of days I must not lose enthusiasm; or stop trying to be the very best version of me I can be.

I am going to take a few days off social media to refocus and continue moving forward. I cannot allow myself to waste these important days. To lead by example and provide for my family. It is my responsibility to navigate the distance between my present and my dreams. In the meantime, thank you to all the fans. I wish you all luck on your own journey.

• Love 18

Oh, man, Fishman :(. I just feel for him so much. I don't blame him for wanting to take a bit of a breather from all this mess for a bit, and I wish him well with whatever he chooses to do next. 

• Love 17
2 hours ago, Mmmfloorpie said:

I almost have to view that as: she does still love/feel strongly towards Michael and doesn't want to fight with him.

Not all bad news.

If she didn’t want to fight with him, then why do so in the first place? he’s only responding to her crappy previous response to him.  I think it’s more likely that she couldnt come up with any more crappy responses.  Of course, I don’t know either of them. So I’m just spouting off an uninformed opinion. LOL. 

• Love 9

Michael Fishman was never exactly Leonardo DiCaprio but he's always proven to be a sweet, articulate guy who seems to have forged a life in and out of showbiz with work that fulfills him. He's sort of the antithesis of most showbiz kids of his stature. And they were very, very close, long after the show. If anything ever makes Roseanne think twice about how she's destroyed her personal and professional life I hope it's relationships like that getting burned.

• Love 16

A couple of opinion pieces about the Roseanne cancellation I read tonight, both wondering why she was ever given a revived contract to begin with:

ABC Deserves Zero Points for 'Roseanne' Cancellation by Pete Keeley for The Hollywood Reporter excerpt:

But you, casual consumer of pop culture, have every excuse for only recently being made aware that Roseanne is a terrible horrible no good very bad tweeter. I'm focused on several people — all of whom happen to work at the same company — who literally have no excuse. Entrusted with protecting one of the world's most beloved brands, whose eminent acquisition of Fox has launched 1,000 think pieces on where and whether "grit" of any kind might find a home in the wholesome Magic Kingdom, Disney-ABC execs made the decision to build their fall 2017 schedule around a woman who was a good decade into her heel turn as a proud bigot who had yet to encounter a conspiracy too ugly to love.  

To say that Roseanne had skeletons in her closet does not accurately describe her situation. Roseanne had skeletons on her front lawn, with a massive neon arrow reading "SKELETONS" pointing to all the skeletons. It wasn't even a "lawn" so much as an enormous pile of bleached bones.

For that reason, this whole sordid episode also represents a pretty spectacular failure by entertainment journalists to hold ABC's feet to the fire. Since May of last year, story after story about Roseanne has treated her extensive history of public cruelty and racism as little more than a midgrade marketing challenge for ABC, if it was acknowledged at all. She was "controversial," "outspoken," you know, all the usual terms media types use to avoid calling a racist a racist — all this while she continued to pump out an unbroken stream of bananas tweets.

An introduction from Edward Burmila for The Nation:

Roseanne Barr’s culminating act of self-destruction, at least until she parlays martyrdom into a lucrative spot on the right-wing media circuit, is as revealing as it was predictable. Anyone surprised that she compared an African-American woman—Valerie Jarrett, President Barack Obama’s former senior adviser—to an ape either wasn’t paying attention or selectively forgot that she made the exact same comparison in regard to Susan Rice, Obama’s national security adviser, in 2013.

Condemnation for Barr’s tweets yesterday was swift. Roseanne writer Wanda Sykes quit via Twitter, and co-star Sara Gilbert rejected Barr’s comments. Then, within hours, ABC canceled the show. This response, however, looks less laudatory when considered in light of the more important question: Why did the network, cast members, writers, and producers allow someone with a demonstrated track record of racism, anti-Semitism, and dangerous conspiracy theories to have a platform on network television in the first place?

• Love 13
12 hours ago, mythoughtis said:

If she didn’t want to fight with him, then why do so in the first place? he’s only responding to her crappy previous response to him.  I think it’s more likely that she couldnt come up with any more crappy responses.  Of course, I don’t know either of them. So I’m just spouting off an uninformed opinion. LOL. 

Couldn't she have sent him a private message?  Does the whole world need to see everything everyone says to everyone else?

• Love 15
19 hours ago, Dee said:

Tom Arnold on 'Roseanne' Cancellation: "She Wanted It to Happen"

"ABC lost maybe $1 billion from this; this show was grinding out money hand over fist and they lost it all because somebody didn’t say, 'Get that phone out of her hand,'" Arnold tells THR.

That number is a gross exaggeration. One of the biggest syndication deals of all time is The Simpsons and it's a billion dollars. The revival earned $40 million in ad revenue, which is very good and was estimated to go up to $60 million next season. Sara Gilbert, John Goodman, and Laurie Metcalf's salaries for this year were $7.5 million; this doesn't include any money Sara gets as a producer. Let's say the rest of the cast, excluding Roseanne, rounds it out to an even $11 million. Roseanne was likely getting between $3.5 - $5 million. That means a solid 30% of the revenue was lost to actors' salaries. Plus we have the rest of the crew, writers, cost for the studio, sets, makeup, and wardrobe, producers, and advertising. I'd be surprised if this made more than $5 million for ABC after all of the costs. And Roseanne Conner's more conservative rhetoric means they likely can't sell the show overseas.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/live-feed/roseanne-cancellation-aftermath-who-gets-paid-1115881

But yes, someone should have taken the phone from her hands. I suspect that it was fairly easy for ABC to cancel because the show did well, but in real Hollywood math wasn't actually earning them too much money.

The people who are really hurting are the syndication distribution side of Carsey-Werner. The older show already earned a decent chunk of change in syndication and the revival episodes could have sold for more. However by running her Twitter fingers, she guaranteed that they can't syndicate the new episodes and got the older ones pulled.

• Love 6

This is so ridiculous. I don't get how this is so hard for some people to understand. She said something horrible, she has a history of saying horrible things, and she should not get a pass for it. Her "apologies" have been hollow and self-serving, and if she gets back on TV, we'll no doubt be going through this very cycle again a few months from now. At some point, there needs to be a line and long-lasting consequences for this crap. 

• Love 14
On 5/29/2018 at 6:57 PM, tessaray said:

She's come a long way from her domestic goddess comedy routine, that's for sure. 

We'll take it under advisement. 

I have a suggestion: 

Delaware Street Dwellers: Roseanne in the Media.

That's from the Christmas episode where they hang up the super bright lights.

• Love 2
On 31/05/2018 at 12:30 PM, ItCouldBeWorse said:

Does the whole world need to see everything everyone says to everyone else?

Of course it does!  LOL

On 30/05/2018 at 7:05 PM, peacheslatour said:

Here's some news, from Entertainment Weekly:

There could be a scenario in the works where ABC salvages significant parts of Roseanne without having to say goodbye to some of the best actors on television (here’s looking at you, Laurie Metcalf and John Goodman). Though ABC made a swift decision Tuesday to cancel the successful reboot, EW has learned that ABC has not exactly washed its hands of the family comedy.

NO.  Much as I love Laurie Metcalf.  Just bury the show, already.

• Love 3