Type keyword(s) to search

Roseanne: Domestic Goddess of All Media

tessaray

7 hours ago, DXD526 said:

And now she's saying all that stuff she said about sexual abuse that estranged her from her family 20 years ago isn't true?

I know her father died a few years ago but I think her mother is still living. I wonder what she's thinking right now.

• Love 1
10 hours ago, JacquelineAppleton said:

"The Ambien made me do it!" ranks alongside "the booze made me do it!"

Or the "Twinkie defense" that got the murderer of Harvey Milk and George Moscone convicted of the lesser charge of manslaughter. 

• Love 2
1 hour ago, Picture It. Sicily said:

She got support from Rabbi and Sean Hannity and made an even bigger racist ass of herself. #GoAwayRoseanne

Yep, there will always be someone out there prepared, for whatever reasons, to stand up and support someone no matter what that someone may have done.  Just getting some support doesn't make what that person did ok!!  The only way Roseanne can fix what she's done is to express some genuine remorse, stop blaming anyone and everything but herself and get some help.  Real help.  Not help from the enablers (like her family) who are going along for a wild ride because it's making them some money.

• Love 9
2 hours ago, CherryAmes said:

The only way Roseanne can fix what she's done is to express some genuine remorse, stop blaming anyone and everything but herself and get some help.  Real help.

And that will never happen. If she hasn't gotten serious help at this point in her life, she isn't going to. We (the public) enabled her for far too long as well. She's used to doing crazy shit and then hiding behind Roseanne Conner. This time ABC stripped her of that and that is why she is floundering with all the fake apologies, excuses, etc.  

• Love 8
4 hours ago, Picture It. Sicily said:

and made an even bigger racist ass of herself. #GoAwayRoseanne

Huh? How? Because of a couple jokes she made? We’re all human. You could tell she was watching every word she said. The jokes (which I thought were funny) were clearly made out of anxiety. 

37 minutes ago, AgentRXS said:

She's used to doing crazy shit and then hiding behind Roseanne Conner.

Yeah, if she made these racist bat shit crazy conspiracy theory comments in the context of a stand up routine I could also see her getting support and maybe more people feeling that she can say what she wants for the sake of her act.  She's being edgy.  She's rocking the establishment.  She's sticking it to the man.   As things are though she's just letting the world get a look at her sad, sick self and everything she has said and done since has only made her look worse.

• Love 7
5 hours ago, KoBnR said:

Huh? How? Because of a couple jokes she made? We’re all human. You could tell she was watching every word she said. The jokes (which I thought were funny) were clearly made out of anxiety. 

Anxiety? Was she afraid a brown person was going to rush the set? 

• Love 5
5 hours ago, KoBnR said:

It wasn't just a couple of jokes. Look back over her Twitter history. She's been saying terrible things for a very long time.

• Love 7
41 minutes ago, peacheslatour said:

t wasn't just a couple of jokes. Look back over her Twitter history. She's been saying terrible things for a very long time.

For me the decision not to watch the new Roseanne show was made when she went on Twitter and was attacking a young survivor of the Parkland shooting.  She wasn't joking (not that the 'just joking' defense would have been acceptable) and it was the last straw for me.  A lot of people though gave her a huge benefit of the doubt and gave her and her show a chance.  She blew it.  And she has no one to blame but herself.

• Love 8

Mod Note:

We don't need to re-litigate the tweet or the endless (non) explanations.  While it's fine to share links with new media content, any discussion of Roseanne following them should go in her thread. Thanks!

• Love 2
On ‎10‎/‎6‎/‎2018 at 11:53 AM, snarkylady said:

Also back on TVLAND for Saturday marathon, at least for today and next week. 

I was flipping channels and noticed that yesterday! Was surprised and glad they brought it back. Sorry but I enjoyed the old episodes so I am not going to NOT watch because of shitty thing she  Roseanne did years later.  But that's just me.

• Love 6

I wanted to feel this way about the Cosby Show.    I came across an old DVD and wanted to watch because I really loved the early seasons but I just couldn't do it.  I don't know if I'd feel the same about Roseanne or not as the shows aren't being played on any channel I get.  

8 minutes ago, JacquelineAppleton said:

If either Roseanne or Cosby had sexually  - or verbally - targeted children or teenagers, would there be any question of un-personing Roseanne or The Cosby Show?

Roseanne Barr did verbally attack a teenager now that you mention it.  That was, for me, the absolute last straw when it came to the decision to watch the reboot and which came before she went batshit, racist and got canned.

Edited by CherryAmes
  • Love 2
On 9/30/2018 at 2:44 PM, FairyDusted said:

Well CMT put her Original back on their schedule. That was wayyyyy quicker than I thought. Then again several stations play The Cosby Show. 

I noticed Cosby back in rotation and figured Roseanne must be about ready to sneak back in. Frankly, as offensive as her behavior was, it would have been dangerously close to misogyny to bring back the namesake show of a CONVICTED male sexual predator vs continuing to punish a woman who tweets offensive , but legal under the first amendment, comments.

• Love 3

So, it shouldn't exist even if it's good? Not sure I agree with that logic.

And while I have some sympathy for Roseanne Barr, in that The Conners have moved on without her and that has to really hurt - none of us get to control how our legacies are written. We only get to provide the raw material.

Final paragraphs from the article:

So let’s recap: People who think Barr deserved to be kicked off the Roseanne reboot are left with her character’s looming presence in The Conners. Those upset that Barr was written out of the family may find comfort in the new show's reverential tone, but they'll be unable to escape the fact that the character was killed off. Plus, any future references to Roseanne's legacy will very obviously be made without the consent of the woman who spent decades of her life creating the character.

With so many dilemmas compounding in a single half-hour sitcom, was The Conners really worth it? Can witty writing and good acting save a nostalgia-driven reboot that was probably doomed from the outset? No commercial success or comedic deftness will justify the message that a show born from controversy and nearly felled by racism still deserves a chance to prove its alleged good intentions at this political moment. The Conners is a project failed not in execution but in premise."

• Love 5

Not really interested in Vice's convenient sympathy for Roseanne given its lineage and long history.

And Roseanne did consent to The Conners - she was paid off and agreed to let go.

• Love 13
1 hour ago, langford peel said:

Her misguided sympathy for the cast that dropped her like a hot potato led to "The Conners." 

Well for about 5 minutes she claimed she was motivated  to "sell out" by concern, not just for the cast but for all the people working behind the scenes who were out of work, but her twitching fingers couldn't leave  it at that.  If she really had any true concern she'd have stopped talking and tweeting.  If she couldn't wish them well she could at least have kept quiet.  Project impossible for her of course.

Edited by CherryAmes
  • Love 14
4 minutes ago, CherryAmes said:

Well for about 5 minutes she claimed she was motivated  to "sell out" by concern, not just for the cast but for all the people working behind the scenes who were out of work, but her twitching fingers couldn't leave  it at that.  If she really had any true concern she'd have stopped talking and tweeting.  If she couldn't wish them well she could at least have keep quiet.  Project impossible for her of course

All of those people owe their jobs and careers to Roseanne. Except perhaps for John Goodman and Laurie Metcalf. Even Sara Gilbert would have been known as nothing more then the half sister of Half Pint. The others never worked in any other projects other that the show based on Roseanne's life. Brought to life with her talent and drive. I don't think she is obligated to be silent and not be out in the arena talking to the people who are her fans. You can hate her if you want and block her social media. There plenty of people who still like her and enjoy her comedy. Her recent appearance on the Joe Rogan show answered a lot of these questions and illustrated that she still has a lot of fire. She is going on a stand up comedy tour and I have not doubt she will sell out.

In a good way.

• Love 1

Roseanne insulted a black woman knowing her boss is a black woman. The fault is on her not anyone else. 

She also could've talked politics without insulting anyone. I don't feel sorry for her and the cast and crew shouldn't either. We all make choices in our lives and sometimes those choices have consequences. 

• Love 20

She can battle it out with Dennis Miller, Stephen Baldwin and Rob Schneider for right wing comic supremacy. That's the tier she has now relegated herself to.

I loved a lot of what Roseanne said and did on TV and off back in the day but for as many trails as she blazed and as hard as she worked to make the original show real and authentic she has always been her worst enemy. She's just overreached in this century. It's sad but it's no one's fault but her own.

• Love 10

Matt Williams might disagree that everyone owes Roseanne for their success.  Roseanne pretty much took over his ensemble show and forced him out. It's interesting that even in 1988, the producers were considering dumping RB and just going with John Goodman.  

http://articles.latimes.com/1989-01-26/entertainment/ca-1949_1_hit-show 

I suspect that Roseanne took the settlement money and walked away thinking that either there was no way The Conners would be viable or that ABC would give in and have her back at some point. When I said I had some sympathy for her, I was referring to the realization that she wasn't indispensable.  I'm guessing from the way she is lashing out at The Conners, that it really must sting.  (Especially that the show is good without her.)

But yeah, she dug her own grave and jumped in with both feet.  No sympathy on that front. 

• Love 11

Matt Williams would disagree, but based on the facts of the case as reported then and now I think he's wrong and was in the right place at the right time - an old TV hand trying to manage a woman into a box. Ultimately the show became what it became because of her. And Goodman and Metcalf both flatly refused to do the show without her when it was floated.

Given the creative war at the show's outset and perhaps throughout its run, yes, this must be her worst nightmare. She was always a control freak about her show, and paranoid. But it's a nightmare she made happen, no one else.

Edited by jsbt
  • Love 6

I would love to be able to see the original pre and post Williams Roseanne scripts, just to see the difference in vision. Of course once Roseanne was in charge, it did become her show and she was responsible for a huge part of its success. (And its many rough/weird spots.) Still, the show has good bones and a lot of that is due to the original concept for a blue collar family sitcom, as well as the contributions of the rest of the cast, crew, and writers.    

• Love 4
43 minutes ago, jsbt said:

She can battle it out with Dennis Miller, Stephen Baldwin and Rob Schneider for right wing comic supremacy. That's the tier she has now relegated herself to.

I loved a lot of what Roseanne said and did on TV and off back in the day but for as many trails as she blazed and as hard as she worked to make the original show real and authentic she has always been her worst enemy. She's just overreached in this century. It's sad but it's no one's fault but her own.

I really liked her in the past, but she has crossed the line.

• Love 5
1 hour ago, tessaray said:

Matt Williams might disagree that everyone owes Roseanne for their success.  Roseanne pretty much took over his ensemble show and forced him out.

Well, that ignores Marcy Carsey's role in the mess, presenting it to Matt Williams as his show with Roseanne Barr as his star, and to Barr as her show with Williams as her head writer.  And downplays Williams's behavior.

But, the bottom line regarding the development and that first year is that everyone played a role; no one person is ever responsible for a show's success - make some cast and writing changes and this show never gets off the ground despite Barr or Williams.  Barr was the key person responsible from turning it from a family sitcom based on her stand-up act to something deeper and more important. 

And, important to The Conners, Barr was the single person responsible for getting herself fired from Roseanne, and thus the show canceled.  So, speaking to the post upthread, nobody owed her anything in the aftermath of that.  Zip-point-shit.  She annihilated something they'd been thrilled to be doing and were getting ready to do more of.

The cast had remained friends with her despite discomfort with the turn she'd taken in recent years, and continue to want to try to come to some sort of understanding of the disconnect between the decades-long love they feel for her in general and the disgust they feel for what she did this year.  She's the one who was "don't talk to me" within days of the cancellation news (well before The Conners was conceived).  They had contracts for another season of a show that she ruined because - despite warnings - she couldn't keep her fingers off her phone, and now they're earning their checks by giving the audience more of the family they were so happy to have back. 

It must be weird, and sad, for her to see the show universe carry on without her, given how it came out of her heart and soul, but she has no one but herself to blame.  This could have been the wake-up call she needed, but she's just doubled down.  She can feel whatever she wants about the show going on.  But no one owes her an apology for it. 

Edited by Bastet
  • Love 15

I think they should have stopped the show after season 10. 

There is no Roseanne without Roseanne.

I always hated the argument that they kept it alive so the crew could have jobs. If there was no The Conners, I'm sure they'd be working on whatever show replaced. It's not like a steel mill closing and the jobs are going to China.

Conan O'Briens crew up and moved from New York to California and then were fired like 3 months in. I have sympathy for them.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, Mmmfloorpie said:

I always hated the argument that they kept it alive so the crew could have jobs. If there was no The Conners, I'm sure they'd be working on whatever show replaced. It's not like a steel mill closing and the jobs are going to China.

A sudden job loss is always devastating regardless whether the job gets outsourced or not. The show was cancelled after everyone had already shown up for work, they had zero notice. Nobody is forced to watch The Conners if they don't want to, but I, for one, am glad that people didn't lose their jobs solely due to Roseanne's big(oted) mouth. If The Conners doesn't get renewed, at least the crew will have some time to find other jobs.

• Love 12
16 hours ago, chocolatine said:

A sudden job loss is always devastating regardless whether the job gets outsourced or not. The show was cancelled after everyone had already shown up for work, they had zero notice. Nobody is forced to watch The Conners if they don't want to, but I, for one, am glad that people didn't lose their jobs solely due to Roseanne's big(oted) mouth. If The Conners doesn't get renewed, at least the crew will have some time to find other jobs.

That's not really how it worked though. The show was only in production for a couple months in fall 2017 then all the crew went on to other jobs in the meantime. Then it was cancelled in June 2018.

It's not like a typical 9-5 job where you go in every day 5 days a week for 52 weeks of the year.

The season was only 9 episodes IIRC so they wrote them, built the sets, rehearsed them and then filmed them all back to back in the course of a couple weeks. After that, the show wrapped and all the crew went on to the next job. They are probably in a union that arranges future work for them so they always have steady employment.

When they found out it was cancelled, it was probably more of an "awe we really liked working on that set and we will miss it" thing more than a "we have to live in a field now" thing.

• Love 1

http://www.latimes.com/business/hollywood/la-fi-ct-roseanne-crew-20180531-story.html

8 minutes ago, Mmmfloorpie said:

When they found out it was cancelled, it was probably more of an "awe we really liked working on that set and we will miss it" thing more than a "we have to live in a field now" thing.

According to the above article it wasn't like that at all:

For now, there are hundreds of “Roseanne” crew members and technicians looking for jobs.

“They've been left in the lurch,” said Susan Cabral-Ebert, president of the makeup artists and hairstylists guild, IATSE Local 706. “It was a lot of the same crew [Barr] had 20 years ago…. It's people who had come back to what they thought would be a long-term show.”

She said that once a show is canceled, people put themselves on availability lists for work.

“They may get lucky, but you can't predict these things.”

• Love 10

Tv also doesn't work like 9 to 5 jobs. Most shows have their cast and crew set for year. The Roseanne crew thought they had jobs lined up for the next tv season. They can't just go find another job when the tv season was beginning. There wouldn't be much available. 

• Love 10
16 minutes ago, Sakura12 said:

The Roseanne crew thought they had jobs lined up for the next tv season. 

And not just for next season!  Roseanne was a big hit, they had every reason to think they might have jobs for at least a couple of years if not longer.  It must have been a nice feeling to think they'd scored jobs that, for Hollywood, would be relatively secure.  And then pfft it seemed to be over.  I have a lot of sympathy for these people  especially if they had given up a chance at other jobs to take the Roseanne gig.  And Roseanne claimed she was sorry about this and yet she still couldn't just shut the hell up about The Conners.   So not so sorry really.

• Love 8

The ratings thread in The Conners made me wonder about those new opportunities Roseanne was supposed to be getting to appear on TV.  Has there been anything posted about this?  She seems to have gotten quiet lately - or maybe I just haven't clicked on the right links!

Edited by BlossomCulp
  • Love 4

Color me shocked that CMT is running the old Roseanne episodes. "Brain-Dead Poets"  is on. I didn't realize the old episodes were being shown anywhere.  Rosanne the person is awful but the old show was good. It pretty funny that CMT is running the show. Growing up every conservative "country" type person I knew hated Roseanne and the show.

I shouldn't say everyone, but more than of a few.

• Love 4
2 hours ago, Coffeewinewater said:

Color me shocked that CMT is running the old Roseanne episodes. "Brain-Dead Poets"  is on. I didn't realize the old episodes were being shown anywhere.  Rosanne the person is awful but the old show was good. It pretty funny that CMT is running the show. Growing up every conservative "country" type person I knew hated Roseanne and the show.

I shouldn't say everyone, but more than of a few.

It's also on TV Land on Saturdays. I have a little trouble watching some of the episodes. They just had the one where DJ doesn't want to kiss Geena and Roseanne accuses Dan of being racist. It was very difficult to watch in light of her awful tweets.

• Love 4
15 minutes ago, peacheslatour said:

It's also on TV Land on Saturdays. I have a little trouble watching some of the episodes. They just had the one where DJ doesn't want to kiss Geena and Roseanne accuses Dan of being racist. It was very difficult to watch in light of her awful tweets.

Yeah, I didn't watch the whole episode I saw playing.  It is interesting to see that Rosanne and know all the disgusting things we know now she has said. 

Edited by Coffeewinewater
  • Love 2
On 27/11/2018 at 1:59 PM, peacheslatour said:

She is a different person now than she was.

Post Tweet it's harder to watch the Muslim episode in season 10.

• Love 2
4 minutes ago, Mmmfloorpie said:

She is a different person now than she was.

Post Tweet it's harder to watch the Muslim episode in season 10.

She was in an accident when she was 16 that left he brain damaged, I don't know why it took this long to manifest into the madness we see today.

• Love 1