Type keyword(s) to search

Roseanne: Domestic Goddess of All Media

tessaray

Just a reminder, this topic isn't for debating racism.  Posts have been hidden.  

Editing to add: Political posts, even ones relating to Roseanne, are still off-topic, subject to moderation, warnings and potential bans. 

• Love 1

https://tvline.com/2018/06/21/roseanne-spinoff-ordered-abc-sara-gilbert-darlene/ 

“Roseanne Barr will have no financial or creative involvement in the new series,” ABC made clear in a statement. An additional statement from Werner says he and Barr reached an agreement that allows Werner to produce a spinoff without Barr’s participation.

So....that operation didn't go so well then?

After all this, I hope the show can recover.  I'm more happy that 200 jobs were saved. 

• Love 6
(edited)
17 minutes ago, chocolatine said:

The article says Roseanne won't receive any payment for the spinoff, so that works for me. Looking forward to seeing the rest of the cast together again.

I wonder how much of a settlement she received? 

Edited by Gigglepuff
  • Love 1
37 minutes ago, anna0852 said:

Laurie recieved an Emmy nomination this morning!

And of course, Roseanne herself won't. And rightly so, she was terrible, but then again I don't think "Wacky Jackie" is Emmy worthy either.

• Love 12
(edited)
3 hours ago, peacheslatour said:

I don't think "Wacky Jackie" is Emmy worthy either.

This. I think Laurie Metcalf is a great actress and a lot of her work is award-worthy, but not necessarily her work in the revival.

Edited by chocolatine
  • Love 9
2 minutes ago, chocolatine said:

I think Laurie Metcalf is a great actress and a lot of her work is award-worthy, but not necessarily her work in the revival.

I haven't seen any of the episodes for the revival but if Laurie Metcalf played Jackie in the same way she played her in the last few years of the original series then I totally agree that it is not Emmy worthy!

• Love 2
27 minutes ago, CherryAmes said:

I haven't seen any of the episodes for the revival but if Laurie Metcalf played Jackie in the same way she played her in the last few years of the original series then I totally agree that it is not Emmy worthy!

There was one episode where she was great, but otherwise she was mostly Wacky Jackie.

• Love 2

Wow and yikes! Either she is drunk/high or she needs her meds adjusted. I cannot believe she allowed her son (the producer/the one talking in the background) to post this.

She needs either rehab or intense psychiatric help. If any one had any doubts in whether ABC and the rest of the cast was right in parting ways with her, this video should clear that up.

• Love 12
45 minutes ago, AgentRXS said:

Wow and yikes! Either she is drunk/high or she needs her meds adjusted. I cannot believe she allowed her son (the producer/the one talking in the background) to post this.

She needs either rehab or intense psychiatric help. If any one had any doubts in whether ABC and the rest of the cast was right in parting ways with her, this video should clear that up.

Agree completely - this should never have been posted.  She appears completely unhinged and I wonder about the people around her who allowed this to be released.   Then again, she might not be listening to anyone at this point.

• Love 7

That was... different.  I can't decide if this was real or very weirdly staged.  Was this filmed in someone's garage?  I'm assuming Roseanne is wealthy enough that her garage is probably bigger (and nicer) than my house.  

• Love 6

But wait...there's more!

Apparently that's her studio. Here's her more polished statement as well as an interview with a friend of hers that I will not discuss it all, other than to say that they had no right to drag Malcolm X's name into her bullshit.

Ugh. Predictable.

• Love 2

Interesting choice of studio design. Just the bizarre juxtaposition of the red Solo cup and cigarettes to the Venus of Willendorf style statue makes me shake my head. I have no desire to watch the clips though. Maybe at some point...

• Love 4

I know some of her diehard fans have been hoping she'd rise above what happened and get another show.  Somehow I don't think this is what most of them expected or wanted.  She needs help.

• Love 8

I actually don’t see anything wrong with those videos. You guys really reach. Don’t you? I’ve been around WAY worse growing up. She could be tired. Maybe hungry. Maybe had some alcohol. Who cares. She’s human. If she does this right, she’ll be fine. ?

• Love 1
(edited)
19 minutes ago, KoBnR said:

She could be tired. Maybe hungry. Maybe had some alcohol. 

Point is though she's rich as hell,  if she was tired or hungry or drunk or stoned she didn't need to go in front of a camera to pay the bills!  She could have waited until she was at her best.  I suspect though we are seeing her at her best.  And that's not good.

Edited by CherryAmes
  • Love 16
1 hour ago, CherryAmes said:

Point is though she's rich as hell,  if she was tired or hungry or drunk or stoned she didn't need to go in front of a camera to pay the bills!  She could have waited until she was at her best.  I suspect though we are seeing her at her best.  And that's not good.

And why in the hell would she allow that thing to be posted on line? She has terrible judgement and should be being seen by a battery of shrinks working round the clock. Jesus she's sad and sick.

• Love 9
On 7/20/2018 at 9:49 AM, AgentRXS said:

That was supposed to be funny?  No editing, constant shouting, comments having nothing to do with the tweet that started this shit storm.  Is this what she is really like?  I mean, really, in real life?  Frightening.  I hope she goes away forever and ever.  I won't watch another single thing she does.

• Love 10
19 hours ago, AgentRXS said:

But wait...there's more!

Apparently that's her studio. Here's her more polished statement as well as an interview with a friend of hers that I will not discuss it all, other than to say that they had no right to drag Malcolm X's name into her bullshit.

Ugh. Predictable.

She thinks this helps her?  And why does she think it makes any difference that she now states that she thought Valerie Jarrett was white?  The tweet was still unblinkingly racist.  She should never have said something so horrendous about anyone, at anytime, in any venue.  Hurtful and clueless.  She apparently will never, ever get it. 

• Love 11
(edited)
3 minutes ago, CatsAndMoreCats said:

She thinks this helps her?  And why does she think it makes any difference that she now states that she thought Valerie Jarrett was white?  The tweet was still unblinkingly racist.  She should never have said something so horrendous about anyone, at anytime, in any venue.  Hurtful and clueless.  She apparently will never, ever get it. 

She still carried on with the name calling too.  Charming.  She could take a lesson from the dignified way that Valerie Jarrett handled being caught up in Roseanne's bizarreness but clearly she won't.

Edited by CherryAmes
  • Love 11
9 hours ago, peacheslatour said:

And why in the hell would she allow that thing to be posted on line? She has terrible judgement and should be being seen by a battery of shrinks working round the clock. Jesus she's sad and sick.

I agree.  She is, but Roseanne Barr is Jewish and identifies as Jewish, what with her battling racism all her life as she claims (being Jewish in Salt Lake City, Utah couldn't have been easy), so no on the Jesus.  ;)

• Love 1
44 minutes ago, CelticBlackCat said:

Roseanne Barr is Jewish and identifies as Jewish, what with her battling racism all her life as she claims (being Jewish in Salt Lake City, Utah couldn't have been easy)

I'm Jewish and grew up in the former Soviet Union and in Germany, which I dare say was even less "easy" than growing up Jewish in Utah. IMO, being Jewish makes it even less forgivable to spew such hatred because we know better than anyone else what hate speech can lead to. I refuse to watch her latest video since it sounds like she's still making excuses. At this point, I don't even want to make concessions for any mental illness she may or may not have. Mental illness does not give anyone carte blanche to be a hateful bitch.

• Love 20
8 hours ago, chocolatine said:

Mental illness does not give anyone carte blanche to be a hateful bitch.

And if it is indeed mental illness shame on her family and friends for enabling her rather than helping her.

• Love 11
8 hours ago, CherryAmes said:

And if it is indeed mental illness shame on her family and friends for enabling her rather than helping her.

I think she is being exploited.  Who posted these videos of her "in studio" rant-a-thon?  This seems to be the longest meltdown since the initial incident of tweet/immediate firing in TV history!

3 hours ago, SmithW6079 said:

Being a hateful bitch doesn't mean she has a mental illness.

Yep.  I don't think Chocolatine was saying otherwise:

22 hours ago, chocolatine said:

At this point, I don't even want to make concessions for any mental illness she may or may not have. Mental illness does not give anyone carte blanche to be a hateful bitch.

Basically among many possibilities here Roseanne could be - a hateful bitch; mentally ill; a hateful bitch who is mentally ill. 

• Love 7
(edited)
On 7/20/2018 at 10:49 AM, AgentRXS said:

Let me guess - it's the ambien again?

On a serious note this was really, really disturbing to watch. I'm not sure who filmed this and why they uploaded it but it only reaffirms that ABC made the right call.

Edited by Alexis2291
  • Love 8

Remember the failed Golden Girls sequel series "the Golden Palace" where they turned Blanche into a "Heritage. not Hate" person who hung up a big Confederate battle flag in the hotel and was mocked by her black employee with a ,mock slave act?

The changes in Roseanne Barr remind me of that.

• Love 2

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/roseanne-barr-hannity-i-wasnt-a-good-mentally-balanced-place-before-racist-tweet-1130493

So she's repeatedly said that both the original show and now the reboot has put in her in an allegedly bad mental state. So if that's the case, isn't it good for her that she is free now?

Even before this, I was getting real sick and tired of her sounding so put-upon about the show and what it did to her life. She got a 1 in trillion chance at stardom, and its only her own fault that she didn't handle the fame machine correctly.  Roseanne Conner meant a lot to a lot of people, and for her to take a crap all over that legacy really irked me pre-Tweet, and now both anger and saddens me post-Tweet. 

FUCK YOU, ROSEANNE CHERRIE (PENTLAND-ARNOLD-THOMAS) BARR!

• Love 8
2 hours ago, CatsAndMoreCats said:

50 cents to the person(s) who can identify that reference!  lolol

I'm a huge Bette Davis fan so that's easy! Bette Davis to Joan Crawford, Whatever Happened to Baby Jane.   Great movie!

• Love 2

OMG! That interview was PAINFUL! Hannity spoon-feed her the apology to V and she couldn't spit it out! Talking about his hair???!!! Talking in circles. Took back years of her life. I never want to doubt abuse and it makes me sad and angry that she publicly LIED. She needs the right kind of help. Not that I can imagine what that could be. 

• Love 7

Among many of the "worst things" she has ever done to make false accusations of sexual abuse is horrendous.  Not only, obviously, is she seriously harming the people she accused she is also harming the many genuine victims out there who face disbelief when they speak out.  She's truly a despicable person.

• Love 8
1 hour ago, CherryAmes said:

Among many of the "worst things" she has ever done to make false accusations of sexual abuse is horrendous.  Not only, obviously, is she seriously harming the people she accused she is also harming the many genuine victims out there who face disbelief when they speak out.  She's truly a despicable person.

And she didn't just make false accusations of sexual abuse, she made false accusations of incest. Indefensible.

• Love 7

But it's all the fault of Ambien and the stress of success.  Pity the poor woman!   Does she ever take any real personal responsibility for any of the terrible things she has said about other people?  

• Love 7

Roseanne's full of it about Ambien being the cause. I have heard some stories about Ambien like the one she told about eating, since the same thing happened to a coworker of mine. She got up in the morning and discovered evidence of an overnight eating binge she didn't remember having. But there's never been anything to suggest it would turn an otherwise non-racist person into a racist. That proclivity would have to have already been there.

And now she's saying all that stuff she said about sexual abuse that estranged her from her family 20 years ago isn't true? Was that the fault of Ambien, too? She is one messed up individual. Talented and funny, but fatally messed up. 

• Love 5