Type keyword(s) to search

Roseanne: Domestic Goddess of All Media

tessaray

1 hour ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

From Episode thread:

Or it was just filming a pilot, not knowing if the show would be picked up, and the kid went on to other things.

Jenna Fischer was originally the wife of Matt LeBlanc's character in pilot episode of the current CBS sitcom "Man With a Plan". Test audiences didn't buy "Joey Tribianni" and "Pam Beesley" as a couple and since LeBlanc was the lead, Jenna got replaced.

I like what critic Mark Harris tweeted:

Edited by VCRTracking
  • Love 17

We moved a number of posts from here into the Roseanne Barr/Roseanne Conner thread. The Media thread is for articles/links/newsworthy tweets about the show and the cast, in the context of the show. Media and comments about Roseanne -- including her tweets -- should go into the Roseanne Barr/Roseanne Conner thread. As always, please avoid political partisanship in your comments. Thank you!

• Love 3

Emma Kenney was on GMA today.  Great interview.  She is so delightful!  I have watched her grow up on Shameless and was so happy to see her land this role and receive such accolades for it.  I thought she was great in last night's episode and she went toe to toe with Roseanne and held her own!

• Love 4

Interesting, so it kind of alludes Roseanne (or the producers) really wanted Lecy to hold off on college and her leaving really changed the dynamic of the show (YMMV on whether that was for better or worse). That could explain why Becky became such an afterthought in later seasons. I’m glad she stuck to her guns though and finished Vasser. 

• Love 3

I think it's great she finished college too. I think Becky would have always ended up an afterthought though and that's because Lecy just wasn't the best actress as she got older and thus was highlighted when she returned. Plus by then Darlene also seemed to have ingested all Beckys unique traits.

6 hours ago, Chas411 said:

I think it's great she finished college too. I think Becky would have always ended up an afterthought though and that's because Lecy just wasn't the best actress as she got older and thus was highlighted when she returned. Plus by then Darlene also seemed to have ingested all Beckys unique traits.

Boy, isn't that the truth!  Also, if this show is her best work, Sara Gilbert is better suited behind the camera, or in a talk show format (though I think she's dead wood there as well - yes, I know she's an EP).

Off topic, found this photo.  David Galecki looks wonderful here, and this is an awesome photo of the two of them!

darlene and david.jpg

• Love 3
3 hours ago, SuprSuprElevated said:

Also, if this show is her best work, Sara Gilbert is better suited behind the camera, or in a talk show format (though I think she's dead wood there as well - yes, I know she's an EP).

Yeah I don't think Sara Gilbert is anything great either. I think she just had the benefit of better writing than Becky as the show went on.

• Love 8
40 minutes ago, Chas411 said:

Yeah I don't think Sara Gilbert is anything great either. I think she just had the benefit of better writing than Becky as the show went on.

TBH, I don't think anyone in the main cast apart from Goodman and Metcalf are great actors (a lot of the guest actors have been great though). The show worked/works because they have great chemistry together as a group.

• Love 11
1 hour ago, chocolatine said:

TBH, I don't think anyone in the main cast apart from Goodman and Metcalf are great actors (a lot of the guest actors have been great though). The show worked/works because they have great chemistry together as a group.

In the first 4 seasons Roseanne acted like a mom. That was good enough for me.

• Love 3
22 hours ago, chocolatine said:

Agreement from me, although even the chemistry this time is lacking.  Most of the time, the conversations are stunted like they're taking place over satellite.  Love Metcalf.  I wish she'd do something else, but it's her career.

• Love 2
6 hours ago, TWP said:

Love Metcalf.  I wish she'd do something else, but it's her career.

She’s done quite a bit, actually. Right now she’s starring in the play Three Tall Women in NYC. I’m super excited to be seeing it on Saturday! :) 

• Love 1
On 4/11/2018 at 11:56 AM, TWP said:

Agreement from me, although even the chemistry this time is lacking.  Most of the time, the conversations are stunted like they're taking place over satellite.  Love Metcalf.  I wish she'd do something else, but it's her career.

The Big Bang Theory.  Lady Bird (Oscar nomination for Best Supporting Actress 2018).  Countless stage productions over the last several decades.

• Love 7
2 minutes ago, CatsAndMoreCats said:

The Big Bang Theory.  Lady Bird (Oscar nomination for Best Supporting Actress 2018).  Countless stage productions over the last several decades.

Getting On was a great show on HBO.  Sorry it ended, she was fantastic.

• Love 4
9 hours ago, SuprSuprElevated said:

Getting On was a great show on HBO.  Sorry it ended, she was fantastic.

Agreed. Getting On was a gem, and she was fantastic. Other than Jackie, her role as Dr. Jenna James might actually be my favorite of hers. 

• Love 2
10 hours ago, Neptune said:

Roseanne Exclusive: Bev Is Back!

I owe Estelle Parsons a big, fat apology.  I really thought she had died.  90 years young.  Sorry Estelle, you go ahead with your bad self!

Edited by SuprSuprElevated
  • Love 7
3 hours ago, SuprSuprElevated said:

I owe Estelle Parsons a big, fat apology.  I really thought she had died.  90 years young.  Sorry Estelle, you go ahead with your bad self!

She did an episode of Grace and Frankie a couple of years ago, and was great!

• Love 3

David being a deadbeat absentee father I just can't buy. I get Galecki couldn't return full time but I wish they didn't have to piss all over the character to explain his absence. 

• Love 11
5 hours ago, Chas411 said:

David being a deadbeat absentee father I just can't buy. I get Galecki couldn't return full time but I wish they didn't have to piss all over the character to explain his absence. 

Exactly.  Completely counter to his already-developed character.

Oh well.  Discussion for another thread I guess.

• Love 3
On 4/4/2018 at 7:20 PM, Cupcake04 said:

Emma Kenney was on GMA today.  Great interview.  She is so delightful!  I have watched her grow up on Shameless and was so happy to see her land this role and receive such accolades for it.  I thought she was great in last night's episode and she went toe to toe with Roseanne and held her own!

...and she's in rehab.

You know, when I heard her talk, I kept thinking about how she sounds like Lindsay Lohan. Well...

Seriously though, I'm guessing the fact that she's probably suddenly getting inundated from mass attention much bigger than what she got from Shameless is probably stirring up a lot. I'd want to take a break, too. 18's hard enough, I can't imagine doing it as a child actress trying to transition to an adult one. Hope she can sort out what she can sort out.

• Love 4

Huh, interesting.  Sandra Bernhard said she only got the opportunity to come back when they increased the run by one episode, so I was expecting hers to be tacked onto the end.  Seems like they're using this episode as an excuse to bring back all most of the old crew.

• Love 1

The episodes do not air in production order, No Country for Old Women originally was the last episode of the season. I guess TPTB decided to attract old fans earlier into the season with episodes that include more returning popular characters, and the episode trailer confirms several of them returning for that episode (possibly, the trailer may show scenes fro all four remaining episodes of the season). Last week' return of David and Beverly was episode six in production order, while it was the fifth episode that aired. Episode five (production order wise)  will air the week after No Country, followed by episodes seven and eight to end the season. Epsiodes three (Roseanne gets the chair) also aired before episode two (chair's aready there).

With the first four episodes concentrating on Darlene, Harris, Mark and Becky, I guess original episode five will be about DJ, maybe his returning wife, and daughter Mary.

• Love 2
5 hours ago, IDFfm0870 said:

and the episode trailer confirms several of them returning for that episode (possibly, the trailer may show scenes fro all four remaining episodes of the season).

They're in the guest list: "Guest Stars: Estelle Parsons, Natalie West, Sandra Bernhard, Christopher Lloyd, Ethan Cohen"

Only missing Chuck/Ann Marie, but maybe they don't have enough to their names.

15 minutes ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

Anyone know why we got double repeats last night?

Because they can.  They trounced everything even as repeats except for The Voice, and even then it was close.

But now that everything's been shifted by a week, that guarantees a new episode will run each week through the end of sweeps.

• Love 4
30 minutes ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

Anyone know why we got double repeats last night?

Because Roseanne is just that popular right now.  It hits that sweet spot of conservatives thinking they are watching a conservatives show and liberals thinking they are watching a liberal one while pissing off both sides.  Roseanne is actually an anarchist which is why she probably supports Trump by the by.  She just likes pissing people off.  Which is kinda refreshing in a weird way.  

Plus the show isn’t half bad even after the nostalgia wears off.  

• Love 3
On 4/13/2018 at 9:28 AM, CatsAndMoreCats said:

She's also won a Tony Award to go with her three Emmy's and one Oscar nomination, too. I think she's done pretty well post-Roseanne. She, Johnny Galecki and John Goodman are the most successful ones, I'd say. 

• Love 7

Ha - that reminds me of Darlene's alien-bursting-out-of-her-body Halloween costume in season three (to which Becky fantastically replied, "So, do you want some Pepto-Bismol or something?").

• Love 3