Type keyword(s) to search

Avengers: Infinity War (2018)

DollEyes
  • Start Topic

44 minutes ago, nilyank said:

I don't think Thanos thought it through

He didn't. Near the end when he sees Gamora as a child standing in the gazebo, she asks him "Did you do it?" and he confirms he did. She follows that up with, "What did it cost?" meaning not just her life but the lives of the other Avengers he caused to turn to ash, not to mention however many thousands of others. I was very surprised to see both Nick and Maria Hill end up literally in the wind, since in Wakanda it was Rhodey yelling for Sam, Bucky disintegrating in front of Steve and T'Challa falling into dust while trying to help Okoye to her feet. I thought she was going to burst into tears when he disappeared, the way she was looking for where he went. On the lighter side, I really loved the look she gave Bruce when he ended up face down in the super-suit after bragging that he was getting the hang of it, like "You fool, watch where you're walking."

51 minutes ago, angora said:

We never saw the status on Shuri, did we?  She has to still be alive - not only because we need her, but because Tony and Rocket haven't met her yet, and that positively has to happen.

No. The last we saw of her, she was still in the lab when Vision attacked  Thanos' minion and they both ended up going through the window. Pretty sure she survived.

Interesting that Strange himself ended up 'dying', just before he told Tony it was the only way they'd be able to win in the end. Just as a sidenote, I'm mostly okay with Loki not coming back, even though I know many people love him, but getting rid of Loki is not worth losing Wanda, even temporarily. As for Bruce, I think the Hulk's unwillingness to appear is because of how easily Thanos wiped the floor with him. After all that time away from earth, it seems like The Other Guy has learned to assert himself  as even more of a separate entity from Banner than he already was.

• Love 6

I'm so glad I went to a showing with the die hards on opening night, the audience was awesome. Iron man , Cap , Thor, they just had to appear and the cheers were so freaking loud and the end was nonstop "nos" and gasps.  I do feel like they played a lot of the Wakanda scenes in promos but that was also probably my fault for watching every damn thing that came out.  I wanted a little more. Overall thought it was non stop, with moments that really packed a punch and with well placed humor sprinkled in. The wait is going to be way, way too long for the next one.  Awesome movie and job well done to get here. I will be going to see it again.  

• Love 6

So, a lot of great lines, but I've seen too much Star Trek to not know there's a big ole reset button a coming.

I dunno, it was definitely an enjoyable movie, and I'm glad that they gave Thanos his due. And I did enjoy all the interactions between the characters. But this movie felt like empty calories. Nothing stuck.

• Love 7

I'm not that fond with MCU-films, I mean most of them are fine, but the only one I think is actually a good film is Iron Man 3. Unpopular opinion, I know and I don't care, even though it was PG13, it definitely felt like a Shane Black movie and that is always a good thing. But here's another unpopular opinion: Infinity War might be my least favorite. It was all around bland and uninteresting. Maybe I just don't care about the characters enough, but it didn't do anything for me.

I was also really, really disappointed with Ruffalo. Did anyone else get the feeling, that he just didn't want to be there?

Oh, and it never had an Avengers-feel to it. It was more of "MCU The Movie". Greatest hits.

• Love 2

What the hell did Marvel just do to their Universe?

Near the end, I was like "How are they going to defeat someone who is invincible?. . . . Oh."

No W'Kabi. I hope they fix that for BP2. 

In a movie with a lot of great moments, my favorite was actually when Thor listed all of the people he had lost. Then trying, and failing, to go back to jolly Thor.

When it comes to rankings, I'm always going to be on Team Wakanda Forever, but this was really good. Given the size of the cast, I was impressed how organically the action flowed without screaming "It's X's turn to shine!" They also excelled in matching the style of combat between Thanos and everyone else. People come at him with range weapons? He uses a freakin' moon as his range weapon. Strange tries some reality magic? Ditto for Thanos. And that time he tries to punch Steve to the center of the earth. . . 

They also did a really good job translating the motion cap/cgi performance of Brolin.

So many thoughts about this.

• Love 6
30 minutes ago, xaxat said:

They also excelled in matching the style of combat between Thanos and everyone else. People come at him with range weapons? He uses a freakin' moon as his range weapon.

Thanos possesses absolutely NO chill. lol

• Love 7

Epic movie.  What an amazing accomplishment after a decade but Marvel movies.

Josh Brolin as Thanos was the all-star.  An amazing performance.  He actually made a genocidal madman as sympathetic as possible.

I would say Loki is gone for good but I can't imagine a Guardians movie without Gamorra.  I was glad to see her factor into the movie so much.

Cap doesn't really have a big presence in this movie.  Tony and Thor take center stage, along with Bruce and Stranger. 

The pairings in this movie were a great deal of fun.  Stark and Strange generated a lot of tension together.  Teaming Thor with Rocket and Groot was great.  What I love is the oddball moments like Bucky and Rocket.

Did not except Red Skull to pop up.  They finally used him effectively.

The character of Thunderbolt Ross continues to be ridiculous in every way.  One of the few fails in this movie.

Edited by benteen
  • Love 5

I was actually pretty proud of Rocket for genuinely behaving like an empathetic being and actually trying to act like an actual captain. And then he offered to buy Bucky's arm and reverted to the Rocket we all know.

I know intellectually most of these folks are not going to stay dead for long. Disney is not going to miss out on all that sweet Black Panther 2 money, not to mention we have Guardians 3 and Spider-Man 2 on the docket for the next couple of years. But man oh man I still can't believe I have to wait a year to see how this works out. I do find it interesting that we've essentially been left with our original Avengers. And they were the ones I had pegged to die!

Edited by anna0852
  • Love 14

I'm trying to keep track of who was where. Here's what I've got so far: Dead: Heimdall, Loki, Gamora, Vision, the Collector, Children of Thanos Vanished: Dr Strange, Spiderman, Draxx, Mantis, Quill, Sam, Bucky, T'Challa, Wanda, Nick Fury, Maria, Groot Living: Thanos, Cap, Tony, Natasha, Thor, Bruce, Rhodey, Rocket, Okoye, M'Baku Appeared in the movie but status unknown: Wong, Shuri Anyone else?

• Love 6
20 minutes ago, hjmugillecuty said:

I'm trying to keep track of who was where. Here's what I've got so far: Dead: Heimdall, Loki, Gamora, Vision, the Collector, Children of Thanos Vanished: Dr Strange, Spiderman, Draxx, Mantis, Quill, Sam, Bucky, T'Challa, Wanda, Nick Fury, Maria, Groot Living: Thanos, Cap, Tony, Natasha, Thor, Bruce, Rhodey, Rocket, Okoye, M'Baku Appeared in the movie but status unknown: Wong, Shuri Anyone else?

Pepper and Stan Lee's character are unknown.

• Love 2
2 hours ago, hjmugillecuty said:

Nebula's still living & Valkyrie and Sharon are MIA.

Edited by Dee
  • Love 3

‘Avengers: Infinity War’ Nears $100M In 2 Days Overseas & Possible $300M+ Opening

On Thursday, Disney/Marvel’s Avengers: Infinity War added 22 markets and $55M to bring the total to $95M over two days at the international box office. This epic continues to pace ahead of all other MCU releases in most markets, and while it’s early yet to call a full weekend number, it is very possible Infinity War wages hell on many previous offshore debuts. It could get to $300M and beyond. That would top Star Wars: The Force Awakens.

Like stablemate SWTFA, Infinity War does not have China in the opening suite and that makes the debut already extra impressive. Harry Potter And The Deathly Hallows – Part Two is the No. 3 international opening of all time at $314M, and it didn’t have the Middle Kingdom either. The one caveat on Infinity War is how much front-loading plays a part.

But let’s look at what we know now for sure. Continuing the trend we saw from Wednesday’s offshore openers, the Avengers, Guardians, Thanos and his crew took the No. 1 spot in all market bows on Thursday. (Wednesday ultimately came in at $40M, a touch higher than the $39M estimate below.)

The Joe Russo- and Anthony Russo-helmed epic collected more records on Thursday, including the biggest opening day in history in Brazil. The superhero-loving market took $4.8M at open on Thursday. The UK assembled $8.9M for Disney’s 3rd highest opening day and the biggest MCU opening day of all time with 89% market share. Both of those hubs typically finish in the Top 5 of Marvel movie grosses. Korea, another major that goes mad for Marvel, has upped its gross to $11.4M after two days in play and is the current leader.

Korea and Brazil are also among the host of markets that have set industry highs for their openings. Here’s the rest of that list: the Philippines, Thailand, Indonesia, Malaysia, Hong Kong, Vietnam, Central America, Chile, Peru, Bolivia and the UAE.

Thanos also collected Infinity Stones for the first time in Germany on Thursday, notching the best superhero start of all time, and with 85% of the share. Argentina logged the 2nd highest opening day in industry history with 83%. In the rest of Latin America, market shares in each country were above 90%.

Further superhero records landed in Austria, Bosnia/Herzegovina, Czech Republic, Estonia, Greece, Hungary, the Middle East, Poland, Serbia, Slovakia, Slovenia and Ukraine. Market shares, likewise, are upwards of 80%.

Internationally, IMAX screens have already earned an estimated $5.1M through Thursday.

Edited by Dee
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, anna0852 said:

We also don't know the status of Scott Lang or Clint Barton. They were mentioned but not seen. 

I am assuming they are okay since aren't they both in Avengers 4 next summer? I see them teaming up with the remaining Avengers and Captain Marvel to defeat Thanos and bring back the disappeared (and maybe some of the dead?).

I really enjoyed this film. It was entertaining, emotional and thrilling. I had some surprises. I did not see the Red Skull making an appearance. I was shocked when Gamora died, since I assumed the Guardians would mostly be safe by way of the next film they have coming out. I would have assumed if any Guardian was going to die-die (since I am assuming the disappeared will all be coming back) I would have assumed Drax as he has the vendetta against Thanos and seems the most expendable.

I think the two most emotional moments were Peter(Parker) disappearing and Tony's reaction to it and Peter(Quill) learning Gamora was dead and going full throttle against Thanos. It reminded me of his reaction to learning Ego killed his mother; just pure rage. And this after he was stopping Drax from going full tilt towards him on Knowhere...

• Love 4
14 minutes ago, benteen said:

I was hoping Peter would get to Earth and finally let his grandfather know that he was all right...

I'm holding out hope for that in Avengers 4. I was kind of hoping to see a little bit of worry from Peter about needing to get to Earth for his grandparents. I'm also praying to all of the Marvel Gods out there that we get one shot one scene at least with everybody in it. We got so close on this one but our Space Cadets never made it back to Earth.

• Love 5

This was Thanos' movie and I really feel like he delivered. I'm so glad he wasn't just Evil because "Reasons" or wanting to rule over everything. He feels he has this mission, and we saw what it meant to him. I do hope in part two we're able to explore more of the "why" behind his motiviation. Flashing-back to his life on Titan before its own downfall and perhaps some exploration of the universe to discover its "finite resources." I'm very glad we established motivation for him and developed his character within the film. That said, I was hoping that when he perched himself down on that cliff the camera was going to pan-back to reveal Hela indicating something along the lines of "that was a good start"

Thor is definitely the Avengers' MVP, and I'm glad that was the role as the film went more inter-planetary, where he's been a touch more backseat in the previous Avenger installments. It would have been interesting if he and Peter had the interaction about their personal losses, and I think it would have helped explore Peter's inability to contain himself in front of Thanos while they were trying to remove the Gauntlet. I didn't really fully realize that pain he was feeling until I went back to think about it. This is a man who lost his father, and his "Daddy" only recently, while also having to confront the pain of losing his mother all over again.

The loss of the characters felt a little hollow to me at the end of the film though. I wanted to get a bit more shock out of the survivors seeing their friends disintegrate in front of them. It seemd to mostly play as confusion, which I guess is understandable. Also, some of the choices of who wasn't going to make it was interesting, knowing the future the business holds for some of the franchises. It does feel a little hollow with most of the Guardians, T'Challa , and Peter knowing they're going to have own films in the coming years. But we shall see what form they take when they come back.

I'll definitely continue to have thoughts, but overall I'm very happy with how it played out.

"I am... Steve Rogers"

• Love 12
1 hour ago, MadyGirl1987 said:

I am assuming they are okay since aren't they both in Avengers 4 next summer? I see them teaming up with the remaining Avengers and Captain Marvel to defeat Thanos and bring back the disappeared (and maybe some of the dead?).

Steve asks Natasha where Clint is, actually, and she says that he and Scott 'made a deal' with the government in exchange for putting their families in witness protection. What that entails, I have no idea, since that jackass Ross never mentions it and no one else inquires further, but I would think (hope) that Nat would know if something happened to any of the Bartons.

• Love 1
2 minutes ago, galaxygirl76 said:

I'm impressed that Rocket took so well to being called Rabbit the entire movie.

Rocket seemed oddly mature and actually had a connection going with Thor. I'd have pegged that interaction going waaaaayyyy differently. 

• Love 8

Loved it (even though the couple sat next to me kept whispering and looking at their phones). Already booking to watch again. 

As always Steve, and Thor  were my faves and did not disappoint. Beardy Steve can stay forever and Thor still has the best entrances. 

Was gutted with the deaths, (Peter and Gamora most of all) ,but think this is part of the plan. The only time they won in all of Strange's visions had to be by losing so reset is coming. 

Plus Captain Marvel!!!!  It's going to be long wait until next year. 

Edited by quazimodo
  • Love 3

I am back. It was good, but something didn't quite gel for me. I just saw the mod note so I am putting my comments in spoiler tags until after midnight.

I was surprised at how interesting they were able to make Thanos. I thought an animated purple villain would flop, boy was I wrong.

Thor, Pirate Angel, Rocket, and teen Groot were a fun and my favorite team. I loved Thor calling Rocket, "Rabbit." It was quite endearing. I did laugh he when he said that teen Groot was his friend, "Tree." Oh Thor, never change from Ragnarok. It was nice to see that Peter Dinklage was teamed up with them. Hopefully, we see his character again.

I cheered when Steve emerged from the shadows to save Vision and Wanda. I practically shouted when Thor came to their rescue in Wakanda although I missed "Immigrant Song" which kept playing in my head.

The deaths were well done although I cannot really mourn characters who are all likely coming back to life in the next film. However, Thor's reaction to Heimdall's death and how he went from "you really are the worse brother" to clinging to Loki's body as the ship exploded was well done and then there was Loki finally calling himself, "Odin's son" as he attacks Thanos. As soon as Schmidt told Thanos that he had to sacrifice something that he loved, I went "oh no." Poor Gamora. She saw it coming too late. Okoye's reaction to T'Challa's disintegration as well as Steve's reaction to Bucky's and Rocket's reaction to losing Groot again were heartbreaking as was Tony holding onto Peter trying to save him. 

Since Strange (who I still don't like and find irritating) saw one scenario where they win, I am going to presume that giving up the time stone was one of the things needed for them to win in the end.

Edited by SimoneS
  • Love 7

This was the most crowded 10 AM showing I have ever been to.  I remember seeing the first Avengers at an early show on opening day and it was not nearly as full (although my theater fucked up and moved it to a small theater)

As for the movie itself, there was a lot going on here and I loved it.  I liked switching things back and forth between everyone, but it was Thanos that really pulled everything together, Kudos to Josh Brolin and the FX teams.  It was really cool how they mixed things up a little bit with who was teamed with who.  I've always liked Dr. Strange but he really had a chance to shine here and I loved his fight with Thanos.  And the way Cumberbatch played it, it felt like this was all part of Strange's plan.  Starlord was the one who really screwed things up, but even that may have been part of it.  Of all the characters, I thought Quill was the one who didn't receive his full due.  But considering all the people they had in it, they did an amazing job with everyone.  I could totally see Hulk not coming out after Thanos wiped the floor with him.

As for the deaths, I didn't feel like they did not have the resonance because it feels like a reset is coming, which I'm totally cool with.  As for who is permanently dead, I would guess Loki and Heimdall, although that depends on what Marvel wants to do with Asgard/Thor now that his three movies are up.  Gamora is too much of a linchpin to everything for her to stay gone.  Vision, I'm not sure about.  I expect everyone dusted to come back (unless Shuri is the new Black Panther and this is Disney's ultimate Fuck You to Sony) just because there are still a lot of sequels coming.

All in all, it was a pretty good way to tie up ten years of movies.

• Love 6

I'm still processing so this post will likely be long and rambling. Consider yourself warned.

This was fun, but I'm not certain I can call it a great movie. It had lots of awesome scenes and certainly paid off ten years worth of previous movies, but... I don't know. It was lacking something, maybe? Or maybe I'm still taking it all in. I'm not sure.

The Good:

I truly loved seeing all of the characters finally meeting up! When early buzz implied that we'd be seeing different pair-ups than in previous movies I wasn't too sure about it. But seeing different characters interacting (such as Rocket and the Pirate Angel, I mean Thor, and Tony and Strange, the Guardians fighting Tony, Strange and Spidey) showed different and frequently hilarious sides to them. It was really a joy, and felt so earned. Really, I've been waiting years for the Guardians to meet any of the other Marvelverse characters, and this really paid that off IMO.

Standouts for me were Spidey (he just lights up the screen every time he's on. Please, movie gods, don't let Spidey fall back into Sony's incompetent hands!) Strange (which is quite surprising, considering I didn't really care for his movie) Tony (I haven't been feeling Tony so much in recent movies, so I was happy to really feel a connection to him again) Gamora (always awesome, not just because ZS is a fantastic actress, and she CAN'T FUCKING BE DEAD, MOVIE, BRING HER BACK ASAP) and Rocket (GOTG Vol. 2 made great strides in his character development, and it was awesome to see more of that here. And of course he had a spare eye in his stuff, because he's Rocket).

As an unabashed Bucky fan I was happy to see him get a few moments of his own in Wakanda and then with Steve. And watching him swing Rocket around during their fight scene was great. Bucky and Rocket could end up being one of the MCU's newest dynamic duos, though Bucky better keep watch on his new arm. lol

Also glad Nebula showed up, even if most of it was just to be tortured by Thanos. Poor Nebula. After her dynamite arc with Gamora in Vol. 2, excluding her would have been a huge and glaring mistake. Before the events of this movie, she arguably had the most reason of anyone to hate Thanos. She and Tony stuck having to work together to get off Titan should be interesting - she's such a survivor you can never count her out. Wong was awesome, and Hulka Hulka Burning Fudge is his favorite Ben and Jerry's flavor, which is also awesome. I loved that Wanda ended up being such an important player in the story as well, since at first glance you wouldn't necessarily peg her as being one of the heavy hitters. At least, I didn't. And I found her love story with Vision understated and believable, though I may be slightly biased as a Paul Bettany fan from way back.

And as one of the few people in the world who didn't like Ragnorak, I enjoyed Thor here far more than I expected. If early Thor was too serious, Ragnorak IMO swerved way the hell too far in the other direction. But IMO Infinity War managed to balance the line in between gravitas and humor, and I really enjoyed it. "Farewell, morons!" If I could get away with using that line in real life, I would.

Drax is always a gem ("I've mastered the art of becoming invisible" *crunchcrunchcrunch*) and I liked the friendship that has developed between Rhodey and Sam, especially after the events of Civil War. The Wakandans continue to be too awesome for words, and I'm thrilled that they even found time to fit in M'Baku!

They managed to develop Thanos' character far more than I expected, and I actually ended up giving a slight shit about him by the end. His final scenes with Gamora showcased stellar work from everyone involved, and I applaud them. And the effects were impressive. CG characters have come such a long way in from the uncanny valley. Between Josh Brolin and the effects crew I could completely believe that he was right there on set with everyone.

The Not so Good:

I'm a huge Guardians fan - they may just be my favorite franchise in the entire Marvelverse - yet I was disappointed in how Quill was shown here. IMO what make him work in the Guardians movies is that he's a lovable a-hole, but here I felt they went too strong on the a-hole, and too light on the lovable part. I realize there's only so much time in this movie to spread between many, many characters, yet I don't think this quite did him justice. MMV. Though I will grant that his snark with Tony and Strange when they met up (and stopped fighting) was priceless beyond words. "What master do you serve?" "You mean like Jesus?" "OK, you're clearly from Earth." "I'm from Missouri." "That's on Earth, dipshit." HA!!

And even understanding about time constraints, there was far, far too little of the Wakandans in here. I agree with posters upthread who said that Marvel clearly culled as much Wakandan footage as they safely could for the trailers after Black Panther's success. I can't help but feel that if Infinity War had been planned and made after Black Panther's release, there would have been a hell of a lot more Wakandans in it. Still, it was nice to get at least one scene of Shuri, and I suppose I'll just have to get my Black Panther fix in two and a half weeks when it's released on DVD.

Also, I could've used more Steve. As one of the central characters in the MCU, I felt he was a bit underused even though he was right in the thick of the action. I guess I'm used to seeing him actively shaping events instead of just reacting to them.

The Bad:

OK, the first of my two biggest issues with the movie: the plot. It struck me as somewhat forced and contrived. I realize TPTB need Thanos to get the stones for story reasons, but there were several moments that felt very much along the lines of "this needs to happen so let's have character X act stupid/out of character/whatever so this thing can happen." It did take me out of the movie, and since I've generally found the MCU to be pretty sharp story-wise, was a bit of a letdown. I can't describe it better than that. The pieces just didn't fall into place for me here as organically as I've come to expect from the MCU.

The deaths. Heimdall and Loki could go either way, depending on the future of the Thor franchise, though I would think Tom Hiddleston's immense popularity could possibly swing things in Loki's favor. Heimdall and his awesome orange eyes are probably done, though. And as for Gamora... in case I didn't make myself clear, Marvel, Gamora better fucking come back to life somehow. Don't care how, just do it. I can't think they'd want to kill off the female lead with (at least) one more Guardians movie left to come. And she affects enough characters that there's just too much remaining story still to mine. And I hope Vision comes back, though that seems like it could go either way right now.

The dusted/vanished deaths really did kind of eliminate any suspense or sense of finality for me. Yeah, Marvel, I totally buy that T'Challa and Spidey are totally dead for reals even though they both have their own movies coming out within the next couple of years. *eyeroll* Especially since Black Panther was a smash hit and it took how many years to wrangle Spidey back from Sony. And in general, moviegoing logic necessitates that they will bring most or all of the vanished characters back. It just feels like a somewhat cheap ploy to drive home the cliffhanger ending. That being said, Spidey's final words to Tony as he vanished in his arms was completely heartbreaking. Tom Holland is such a standout (I don't think anyone else could have made Spidey 3.0 work like he did). Also sad was Bucky vanishing in front of Steve, Rocket losing Groot once again, and T'Challa vanishing as helped Okoye to her feet. 

So, now that I've spent almost as long posting about the movie as I did watching it... good movie. But I'm still not sure I'd call it great. Maybe after I've had more time to think it all over.

Edited by Maelstrom
  • Love 8
19 hours ago, anna0852 said:

How in the hell are we going to make it a year for the next part? I'm clinging onto Ant-Man and the Wasp, along with the dvd release of Black Panther to get me through. 

And a certain Captain, of course.

• Love 3

More thoughts. It was sweet that Rocket decided to play captain and comfort Thor, but it was Chris Hemsworth who shone continuing his stellar performances from Ragnarok in that scene. Thor is broken from all his losses. He is a king that has lost his people, all his family, and his friends. For Thor, defeating Thanos and saving the universe is keeping him going. The moment he stops and has to face his losses, I think that he will crumble. Although I noticed that he said that Thanos killed half his people, does this mean that there are other Asgardians alive out there? We didn't see Valkyrie (ETA: Korg or Miek).

Bucky and Rocket mowing down Thanos' minions was hella fun. Of course, Rocket has to ruin the moment by asking for Bucky's arm. I love that Rabbit. There were lots of humorous moments. The audience was laughing so much that I missed some of it. I am going to have to re-watch on Blu-Ray.

Nebula should be able to get Tony back to earth, but he looked completely lost after Peter "died." She didn't look much better. After trying to kill Gamorra so many times, actually losing her sister seems to have broken her as well.

I think that there will be some permanent deaths in the next Avengers movie. I am afraid of who will die. I wouldn't be surprised if Steve sacrifices himself, but I remain hopeful that the Time Stone will send him back to Peggy or bring her to him.

Since I am a huge Danai Gurira fan, I love that Okoye was featured so prominently and actually got dialogue. I noticed that she has been seated to the front in a lot of the recent Marvel publicity events. I hope this means that they have plans for Okoye. 

Edited by SimoneS
  • Love 5
56 minutes ago, Maelstrom said:

The dusted/vanished deaths really did kind of eliminate any suspense or sense of finality for me. Yeah, Marvel, I totally buy that T'Challa and Spidey are totally dead for reals even though they both have their own movies coming out within the next couple of years. *eyeroll* Especially since Black Panther was a smash hit and it took how many years to wrangle Spidey back from Sony. And in general, moviegoing logic necessitates that they will bring most or all of the vanished characters back. It just feels like a somewhat cheap ploy to drive home the cliffhanger ending. That being said, Spidey's final words to Tony as he vanished in his arms was completely heartbreaking. Tom Holland is such a standout (I don't think anyone else could have made Spidey 3.0 work like he did). Also sad was Bucky vanishing in front of Steve, Rocket losing Groot once again, and T'Challa vanishing as helped Okoye to her feet.

For me I'm thinking maybe all the deaths are as much about figuring out what comes next in bringing them back than the shock value of them actually dying. It was all dramatic & well done but I agree with Maelstrom, that knowing the other movies coming out  they are gonna have to walk back a lot if not most of the "blow away leaves" deaths & I am curious as to how they will accomplish that.

Really liked a lot of the banter too. All in all I thought it was entertaining & went fast- no real dead spots. I'd say all things considered, well done Marvel.

• Love 7

Screw Thanos.

Nebula is freaking great.  There's no stopping her, and it's going to be so satisfying to see her get some revenge on Thanos.  When she lands a blow on him, she'll no doubt say "This is for my sister!"

Hulk being afraid of Thanos is good build to when he comes out to play in the next Avengers.

Thor and Guardians crossover movie needs to happen, now.

• Love 11
18 hours ago, calliope1975 said:

I did wonder if anyone else had tried to get the Soul stone. It seemed rather easy. Had no one ever brought someone they loved with them, or did they all decide that price was too high to pay?

I don’t think one necessarily needs to actually kill someone to get the soul stone, but you do have to sacrifice a part of yourself that makes you whole (in other words: sell your soul).

• Love 1

I went last night and I loved it! It had me riveted from start to finish. It most definitely had a "part 1" feel to it which just makes me feel like I'm already on media blackout for next year's Avengers movie!

Marvel has definitely improved in fleshing out their villains. First Killmonger and now Thanos were both given depth and a point of view. It's served them well, and now I'm hoping for Kang somewhere down the line. 

I wasn't terribly surprised by Loki or Heimdall dying. I noticed Thor later said Thanos killed half his people so perhaps Valkyrie led some to an escape pod and they made it somewhere safely out of range. 

It pains me to say this, but Mark Ruffalo seemed a little off to me at the beginning. But then it occurred to me that he usually doesn't know what happens when Hulk is in control, so shouldn't really remember what went down with Thanos to issue a warning...so maybe it was supposed to convey some sort of shared experience for the first time? I do think he settled in as the movie went on, and I freaking loved that scientist Bruce suited up to fight, no matter what. That's a hero. 

I'm pretty sure Doctor Strange saw this eventuality and somehow knows it will lead to them winning. He went from refusing to give up the stone to handing it over fairly easily. 

Cap's "I'm...Steve Rogers" may have been my favorite line. 

I was sad, but ok with all the dissolving heroes until Spiderman. Tom Holland was amazing. He was heartbreaking and such a kid in that moment. I was never a huge Spiderman fan and wasn't thrilled about him joining the MCU, but Tom has changed my mind on that so many times over.

The Black Widow/Okoye/Scarlet Witch fight against Proxima Midnight was so awesome and everything I needed it to be.

I feel reasonably sure that Shuri survived and will be able to fix Vision. They took out all the other magic type users who might be useful against Thanos so I think Vision will need to fill that role. I do love that our original team has survived. If deaths will be final in Avengers 4, I want these characters to go out big. 

The reveal of Fury contacting Captain Marvel was perfect, and really set up her movie nicely. 

I'm going to see it again in the next couple of days. I definitely need more viewings to absorb everything!

• Love 5
6 minutes ago, Jenniferbug said:

I wasn't terribly surprised by Loki or Heimdall dying. I noticed Thor later said Thanos killed half his people so perhaps Valkyrie led some to an escape pod and they made it somewhere safely out of range.

Yeah, I could see Thor, Loki, and Heimdall telling Valkyrie, Korg, and Miek to go with and protect the half of the Asgardians they got off the ship.

• Love 3
20 minutes ago, Dee said:

Natasha & Rhodey not being with Sam as he vanished was a HUGE mistake.

Uncertain on the timeframe for the spoiler lift so I'll use spoiler tags for now.

Spoiler

I was a little pissed that Cap lost Sam and Bucky but, the alternative is Tony losing Spider-man and Rhodey. Given the emotional punch of that Tony/Spiderman scene, I think losing Rhosdy might have been over kill. Although, poor lost, broken Cap after Bucky died was awful too. Same with Rocket losing Groot ?

I'm certain all the vanished people will return. I'd prefer if the actual deaths stuck. As much as I love Loki I think it was kind of time, he was redeemed, if they kept him around he'd probably backslide. I'll miss Heimdall and, would love to have him back but, I think those deaths NEED to stick. I also want Vision's death to stick, partially because I miss Jarvis, partially because I don't like Vision and partially because I think it should (bonus points if Wanda goes crazy and brings Pietro back).

I'm torn on Gamora. I hate that she died, hate that she went out the way she did (although, I loved every minute she was onscreen), hate that she died in Avengers and not GOTG3 (if she had to die at all) but, I kind of feel like her death should stick as well.

Edited by Morrigan2575
  • Love 5
1 hour ago, Morrigan2575 said:

Uncertain on the timeframe for the spoiler lift so I'll use spoiler tags for now.

Hide contents

I was a little pissed that Cap lost Sam and Bucky but, the alternative is Tony losing Spider-man and Rhodey. Given the emotional punch of that Tony/Spiderman scene, I think losing Rhosdy might have been over kill. Although, poor lost, broken Cap after Bucky died was awful too. Same with Rocket losing Groot ?

I'm certain all the vanished people will return. I'd prefer if the actual deaths stuck. As much as I love Loki I think it was kind of time, he was redeemed, if they kept him around he'd probably backslide. I'll miss Heimdall and, would love to have him back but, I think those deaths NEED to stick. I also want Vision's death to stick, partially because I miss Jarvis, partially because I don't like Vision and partially because I think it should (bonus points if Wanda goes crazy and brings Pietro back).

I'm torn on Gamora. I hate that she died, hate that she went out the way she did (although, I loved every minute she was onscreen), hate that she died in Avengers and not GOTG3 (if she had to die at all) but, I kind of feel like her death should stick as well.

Spoiler

Oh, no. We do not want Wanda going crazy. Bad things happens when Wanda goes crazy. Bad, bad things.

• Love 2

In my life I have only walked out of two films.  This was the second one.  It seemed to be well crafted, but I couldn’t handle the unrelenting bleakness of it all.  By the time Thanos took Gamora so that she could watch him torture Nebula, I was out.  Boys and husband loved the movie; I loved eating my junior mints in the lobby.  Husband and kids laughed when they heard my reason for bailing, saying I left at the right time because it certainly didn’t get happier.  We’ll see if I can make it to Avengers 4.

• Love 1

Having seen it twice now (yes, twice!) my theory is that Dr. Strange saw in the one positive outcome that Thanos has to think he succeeded and that means the dusting. I'm just going to call it 'dusting' since that seem easiest. And I think Dr. Strange told Tony at least some of what was coming and what to do next in order to have the positive outcome. There was at least some lag time on Titan when Thanos departed before the showdown on Earth. I don't think Tony was told exactly who was being dusted (cause if Pepper was on that list then Tony will go non-functional) but I think Strange briefed Tony, probably to get back to Earth and the Sanctum and to get with Wong to put this all right and bring Thanos down once and for all. I don't think it's a coincidence that we are left with the OG Avengers and I'm still ticked I have to wait a year to find out what happens.

And I really don't want to be Okoye breaking the news about T'Challa to Shuri, N'akia and Ramonda. It might be temporary but Shuri especially is going to lose it because until T'Challa is undusted she is now the Queen of Wakanda. Might be an interesting Challenge Day.

Nebula is going to have to be the one to explain to Rocket about the dusting on Titan. She's the only one that can hold him off when he reacts.

Bruce's absolute glee at using the hulkbuster was awesome. And I love how he was yelling at the 'big green asshole' to get out there already. 

If we're going to get timey-wimey stuff in the next movie then here is what I want to see:

• Steve and Peggy, getting that dance and Steve well and truly getting closure
  • Tony making peace with Howard
  • Quill seeing his mom
  • Drax seeing his family
  • Wanda seeing her brother

I never knew I needed to see a movie with Thor and the Guardians but now I really, really do. That Thor speaks Groot, because it was elective on Asguard is possibly the best thing ever.

Not only do we not know the dusting status of Wong and Shuri but Ned and Pepper as well.

Edited by anna0852
  • Love 12

Maybe I’m a very callous person (or I just watch too many time travel / multiple reality things), but I came out of this movie going, “Wow, they really went there. But Dr. Strange saw the only outcome that worked and said they had moved into the end-game, so I’m pretty sure in a year most of this will be reversed.”

The person I saw it with, however, is inconsolable — Marvel has betrayed us, and hope is dead.

• Love 9

Saw it last night, but I decided to give myself a good 24 hours to process everything.

Overall, it probably won't go down in my top five list or anything (and at this point, I think The Winter Solider will always be my favorite Marvel film), but considering all of the hype, logistics, and, really, all the balls that were in the air for this one, I thought it handled almost everything well, and at the end of the day, it truly felt like an once in a lifetime spectacle.  Definitely a great movie to see with a crowd, because everyone's reactions (both positive and negative) made it even better.  It's corny, but it truly was more then just a movie, but an experience, despite whatever flaws there might have been.

While I'm glad that everyone got a moment or two to shine, it did feel like some got the short end of the stick.  I was particularly surprised over how little there was of Steve and Natasha especially.  And you can really tell that they had no idea that Black Panther would be as huge as it was, because despite the final act being in Wakanda, T'Challa really didn't standout here (if anything, I thought Okoye ended up being a bigger factor out of the BP cast.)  That said, with the way it ended, I definitely suspect the likes of Steve and Natasha (not to mention the absence of Hawkeye and Ant-Man) will play a bigger role in the next film.

Definitely loved the new interactions in this one.  Thor and the Guardians was probably my favorite.  Call me easily amused, but I love how clearly jealous Peter Quill was over Thor's looks, and what made it even funnier is that all of it was clearly going over Thor's head.  But I was really surprised how much I enjoyed Thor/Rocket, especially their heartfelt moment.  I know Chris Hemsworth isn't the strongest in the cast by a long shot, but I thought he really sold how under all the bravado, Thor was being torn apart over all of the losses he just suffered.  As fun as Thor: Ragnarok was, I'm glad this film is addressing this issue.

I was equally amused by Tony and Dr. Strange, because seriously, the only person that can match Tony in intelligence and especially arrogance is Dr. Strange!  And then Peter Parker teaming up with them, with his almost puppy dog-ish tendencies to impress them.  Tom Holland truly is amazing and I really believe he is the best Spider-man now.

Found it interesting that Bruce was the one that seem to interact with the majority of the cast.  He didn't get time with the Guardians, but he started out with Thor, went into Tony/Strange's story, and then ended with Steve, Natasha, T'Challa, etc. in Wakanda.  Curious to know what is going on with his current issues with Hulking out.

Not the funniest of the Marvel films, but still some good laughs.  Not sure which one was my favorite, but I think the biggest laughs from my audience came with the reveal that Drax was just watching Quill/Gamora's intimate moment the entire time.  Never change, Drax!  Still can't believe that I've grown to like Dave Bautista so much as an actor.

While Loki and Killmonger will still go down as the best villains, Thanos more then delivered.  Josh Brolin was excellent, and I really like that Thanos wasn't Mwaaah evil, but truly believed that he was balancing the universe with his horrible acts.  But I love that he had an almost bizarre respect for a lot of his opponents, like saying he liked Quill after he was willing to pull the trigger, or his "I hope they remember you" to Tony.  It never felt mocking or like he was taunting, but he really respected them as warriors, even though he knew he outmatched them in almost every way.

Biggest surprise was the Red Skull cameo.  Even if it wasn't Hugo Weaving (judging from the credits, it was Danai Gurira's Walking Dead co-star, Ross Marquand.)

As for the deaths: right now, I think Loki, Heimdall, and maybe Vision are dead for good.  I'm 50/50 on Gamora.  I do think they could possibly do some kind of "She's actually trapped in the stone" thing, and if/when they break it, she'll come back.  All the ones that disintegrated though are so going to be back.  No way this is the last of the new blood like Strange, Peter Parker, and especially T'Challa.  That said, they got me at the end.  I kept telling myself it was temporary and no big deal, but it kept hitting me in waves.  First, it was Rocket's reaction to Groot disappearing, followed by Okoye's with T'Challa.  Even then, I held strong.  Then it was Drax's almost confused "Quill?", before he went, which got me teetering on the edge.  And then freaking Peter Parker gut-punched me, and I was done for.  Tom Holland really went all out at making Peter turn into a scared child at the end.  And while I get the complaints that Robert Downey Jr. has been playing it safe lately, I thought he completely delivered over Peter disappearing in front of him.  If anything, between this and Spider-man: Homecoming, I feel like RDJ seems to have sparked again with his scenes with Holland, and even if he's done with solo Iron Man films, I'd actually like if he continued in a mentorship role going forward.

So, yeah, it overall worked for me.  Really curious to see how the next film will play out.  I'm prepared for anything, but my biggest request is to see Tony and Steve reunited.  Even if it's only for one final battle.

Edited by thuganomics85
  • Love 20

Everybody in my theater was STUNNED when the credits rolled.

All 50 of us sat like fools waiting for the credits to finish so we could get to the final scene. Dang, credits are reaaaaallyyyyyy long when you're anxiously waiting for them to be over.

Re: the extra scene with Nick Fury, who did he call at the end, right before he disintegrated? I did not recognize the logo/emblem. I've seen every Marvel movie as a casual fan, but I've never read the comic books. 

Best line: Quill to Thanos: Shut up scrotum chin! (paraphrased) Ha!

• Love 4

The emblem was for Captain Marvel. Also known as Carol Danvers. Her movie is due out next spring. I really don't know more than that but judging by the way my movie theater was screaming and cheering, I'm guessing she is the best chance for taking Thaos down and undusting a lot of people in Avengers for next year.

• Love 7
18 minutes ago, anna0852 said:

The emblem was for Captain Marvel. Also known as Carol Danvers. Her movie is due out next spring. I really don't know more than that but judging by the way my movie theater was screaming and cheering, I'm guessing she is the best chance for taking Thaos down and undusting a lot of people in Avengers for next year.

Yeah I tried to look up her powers but I don’t see anything that stands out.  I guess ultimately they’ll need all the help they can get.

What are Captain Marvel's powers? 

In the comics, she's gone through some changes over the years, but the current version of Captain Marvel has these powers: 

Flight 

Superhuman strength and durability 

Energy manipulation: She can shoot energy blasts (and lasers) from her hands.

Energy absorption: She can absorb energy, like lightning, and this absorption actually augments her other abilities, making her even more powerful.

I had to look her up and found this.  Interested to see her backstory.

• Love 1

My MVP’s

Josh Brolin- Not a fab of him personally, but holy shit, he definitely was the perfect choice for Thanos. Damn brilliant acting. Though, no one will top Michael b Jordan and Heath Ledger as best Comic Movie villains ever.

Tom Holland- Kid is a superstar in the making. Him knowing he was going to die and then ending up dying in Tony’s arms, actually made me cry. Seriously, Tom you are brilliant.

RDJ- Just for that tony/Peter scene alone.

The rest- Zoe, Danai , and Hemswortg ( so damn glad they are giving him more Comedy cause Chris is fucking funny and can kill that genre)

• Love 4
On 4/27/2018 at 9:19 AM, hjmugillecuty said:

Others said Valkyrie, Hawkeye, Antman and Sharon. I’d like to add Nakia, Wasp, Ross, and W’Kabi. Its a shame they wont add the TV-verse, because at the very minimum, it would have been great to at least see the Defenders fighting in the background.

I could not believe how shocked/silent my theater was at the end. This theater cheered for Steve’s entrance, Thor with his new hammer, and laughed so loud at every joke. But you could have dropped a pin onto the carpeting and heard it at the end of the movie.  I know most of it probably will be undone, but wow. We got the original crew (minus Hawkeye) at the end and I immediately was like “I see what your play is Marvel.” I also hope we get a scene of the six of them together talking in the next film.

That was a lot. If this is the end of Evan’s Cap, I hope he gets to do more in the next movie. I was wondering if that was really Loki who was killed or a projection. I wonder if the next movie is going to start with us seeing Valkyrie escaping with Asguardians. I was surprised that when they rescued Hulk and Loki and jumped for Thor that Loki wasnt all “let’s blow this popsicle stand.” Did anyone see Loki’s ship on their ship? I was trying to figure out if that’s how Valkyrie escaped with Asguardians or if thats how Loki would survive. Honestly, sibling stories really get me, so I want more Thor/Loki as well as Gamora/Nebula stories. 

Loved all of Peter’s movie suggestions. All though I wish he’d stop calling them  “really old movie.” My students never say that we referring to an old film and they’re younger than Peter.

During the Widow-Okoye-Witch fight all I could think of was “Lady Avengers.” Come on Marvel, you know you want to do it.

I really thought we’s see Cap grab Thor’s new Hammer. I hope in the next Avengers, we get that scene. I dont know if this hammer operates by the same rules, but I hope it does. It was such a tease in the last Avengers movie. 

I cant wait until next summer. Man, that was a blockbuster.

• Love 4