Type keyword(s) to search

Avengers: Infinity War (2018)

DollEyes
  • Start Topic

I somehow simultaneously don't want to spoil this movie and yet can't help soaking up every piece of information I find, including all those dumb YouTube previews that attach 11 different TV spots to one video....... I still have 8 days of this left? Heavens to Betsy!!!!

I'm really excited to see how this all comes together, it's the very definition of a major comic-crossover. They've earned this through carefully setting things up along the way, learning their lessons, but most importantly developing their characters. Not all the plots were exceptional, and a lot of the time the villains didn't add much, but we're fully invested in these characters now. 

I'm very excited. Now...to go twiddle my thumbs for the next 194 hours

Edited by Traveller519
  • Love 1
50 minutes ago, HunterHunted said:

Dr. Strange is probably more important because he's walking around with an infinity stone around his neck and he knows how to use it.

Anything else important about it? Because despite the fact that it has Rachel McAdams, I'd rather not give money to that white washing crap. 

2 minutes ago, wingster55 said:

Anything else important about it? Because despite the fact that it has Rachel McAdams, I'd rather not give money to that white washing crap. 

Nope, but Thor 2 and Age of Ultron are equally as important to what might happen in Infinity War. I'm not saying Doctor Strange is good, enganging, or doesn't have a whole host of other problems (it clearly does), but it's probably important to what happens with Thanos.

On 4/18/2018 at 4:29 PM, HunterHunted said:

You're probably fine because except for Ayo and T'Challa, no one else who is likely to be in Infinity War, except for Bucky, has met any other Wakandan. There will probably be some introductions. Black Panther is pretty standalone.

And Shuri, who's probably going to just as, if not more important than T'Challa.

25 minutes ago, Morrigan2575 said:

Not looking, afraid of spoilers, sorry if this was already posted. It's quite funny.

I will be quite happy if The Joker is right

I was just about to post that. I think the Joker is right, but I also kind of love Palpatine's theory too. Zod is a big old marshmallow.

2 hours ago, HunterHunted said:

I was just about to post that. I think the Joker is right, but I also kind of love Palpatine's theory too. Zod is a big old marshmallow.

Palpatine works too. Although, I always figured it would be Dr. Strange using the Time Stone to reverse the deaths.

Edited by Morrigan2575
10 minutes ago, Wynterwolf said:

This is not a spoiler, but it's based on something I saw that might be a spoiler...

Hide contents

I will laugh hysterically if everyone BUT Tony and Steve "dies".

Speculation ahoy. You know I've been

Spoiler

wondering if they've been trolling us with all the doom and gloom "this is the end" & "meet destiny" stuff, saying nobody's safe etc. and it's gonna turn only Thanos dies.

Edited by scriggle
clarifying pure specualtion
  • Love 1

Well, I just spoiled myself. Heed the spoiler tag.

Spoiler

reddit spoiler thread

I think I'll wait a week or so before seeing it. I don't want to cry in a full theater. I am so not happy about what I read. Fucking cliffhangers!

Additional spoiler confirmation for those who don't trust reddit: forbes article

Edited by scriggle
added a link
  • Love 2

Regarding those spoilers:

Spoiler

A few posts back I said I might not bother watching this movie if they went the route of cheap deaths to shock the audience, and manufacture the pretence that 'anyone can die'. So... Looks like I might not be watching this movie. Of course, some of the deaths will be undone (which makes them even cheaper).

Also, the movie is from Thanos' point of view? No thanks. I don't care about Marvel villains in general, but Thanos is really crappy.

Edited by Danny Franks
  • Love 2

Once a movie is widely released in the USA, spoiler tags are not necessary. Please be cautious when entering this thread as you will be spoiled after this time. Thank you. 

• Love 1

Regarding the spoilers and IW in general

Spoiler

It also sounds hella disjointed. I want to see the heroes' pov not the big bad's.

What I'm really ticked about is the disingenuousness. Marvel going on about it wasn't part 1 & 2 anymore. That IW would be a self-contained complete story. It's obviously not a complete story. And we all know all the deaths will be undone in A4.

It's cheap and for shock value. I'll go see it (and I'll undoubtedly shed more than a few tears) but not for a week or two.

• Love 1

I am dying to read the spoilers, but am resisting for the  moment. Besides like I said before, any superhero who dies will be brought back to life in the next movie by the Time Stone so I won't be crying.

Edited by SimoneS
  • Love 2

So I've seen it. It's good, but not IMO a great movie. Fun enough for one watch, but I'm not planning to go again. Some of the humour really didn't work for me, it was everything I disliked about the last time I saw certain characters, but even moreso. My seventh favourite MCU film, and all around I'd rate it 7.5/10. And that Reddit thread is accurate.

2 hours ago, SimoneS said:

After seeing cryptic comments about Infinity War, I just hope that it is better than Age of Ultron which I disliked.

IMO, yes. A fair bit.

• Love 1
36 minutes ago, Joe said:

IMO, yes. A fair bit.

This is good to know. I go to see it on Friday. I will be here on Thursday to read other's comments and of course, about the plot so I expect to be fully spoiled.

Edited by SimoneS
7 hours ago, Joe said:

So I've seen it. It's good, but not IMO a great movie. Fun enough for one watch, but I'm not planning to go again. Some of the humour really didn't work for me, it was everything I disliked about the last time I saw certain characters, but even moreso. My seventh favourite MCU film, and all around I'd rate it 7.5/10. And that Reddit thread is accurate.

I am scared to read this forum. I am going to see it on Sunday.  Should I worry about the Black Panther people?  Has T'Challa changed at all, after the events of, Black Panther?

‘Avengers: Infinity War’ Eyes $498M WW Opening, And Beyond

The Anthony Russo-and Joe Russo-directed threequel to the Avengers series is expected to create a seismic wave at the global box office with all markets releasing through Friday, save China and Russia. In the U.S., tracking and rival distribution executives agree that Infinity War is on its way to a record.

Tracking has it ranging from $216 million-$235 million, which on the high end would be the second-best domestic start of all time beating Star Wars: The Last Jedi ($220M). Some believe the movie has the power to get to $275M, an opening that would best Star Wars: The Force Awakens‘ all-time record ($247.9M) by 11%. Still, even if this film sinks to the high-$100Ms, which no one is really expecting, Marvel’s platinum records haven’t tarnished.

As for overseas, industry sources are pegging the bow from $256M-$263M with some also seeing it reach $275M. Outside the $275M predictions, the domestic and international ranges equal a global bow from $472M-$498M — $500M-plus does not appear out of the question. If it hits the low end of that worldwide range, it would rank as No. 5 all time; on the high end, it lands at No. 4. We’ll gauge the bigger predictions as play starts to roll.

Infinity War is showing some of the best domestic tracking scores ever, with unaided awareness (the non-frequent moviegoer indicator) at 59% beating all previous box office champs like Force Awakens, Last Jedi, etc. Ditto for first choice at 48% with definite interest at 72% only second to Avengers: Age of Ultron.

Edited by Dee

Just seen it and really enjoyed it.

Rather big spoilers ahead so fair warning - don't read under the tag unless you don't mind being spoiled...

Spoiler

I am happy that I have some comic book knowledge as well as a general idea of the release schedule so I have some idea of what may be coming, otherwise that ending would have made me quit the entire universe! But I believe that Ant-Man and the Wasp will expand on the quantum reality concept which should then take centre stage in Captain Marvel which will cleanly lead to some time and reality altering to stop the mass genocide that was the end of Infinity War, in the sequel...

As for the movie itself?  Tony and Wanda were the standouts and I much enjoyed Thor and Dr Strange as well.   Considering how much of it took place on Wakanda I am surprised to feel that Black Panther felt a bit left by the wayside...  Cap was great as always....

As for the negatives, Quill...  I just couldn't with his absolutely asanine response on hearing about Gamorra... Tony, Peter, Mantis and Strange was so close to getting that gauntlet off, and his rage ruined it!

I forgive Strange's folly, as that was pretty much forshadowed and I guess we are supposed to believe he saw the only way to rectify the entire mess was by giving up the time stone.   Well, I hope so at least, otherwise he is an even bigger idiot than Quill...

I do find it interesting that of all the heroes it was the original Avengers that didn't fade... Don't know if there'll be some significance in that, but it was something I immediately picked up on...

Edited by Snipsa
  • Love 3

Overall, quite possibly the best Marvel movie.  Certainly the best villain, and the most effective in scope.  Also, the Russos have a better understanding of tonal balance than most of the other people working at Marvel, so they don't ruin key moments with jokes.  More extensive thoughts:

Spoiler

Weirdly, when you consider just how long in the making much of this was, there were some things in the movie, mainly relationships, that I thought could have been set up better.

Most obviously, when you consider how much emotional weight hangs on Wanda and the Vision's relationship, something that had very little time devoted to it and basically happened between movies.  The actors do a surprisingly effective job of selling it, though.  And also, everybody knows that Wanda is the only one that can destroy the Infinity Stone, for some reason.

Also, and while this wouldn't have been an issue for me either way since I know the Infinity Gauntlet story, when you consider that Loki's death in the early going packs a surprising punch and is accompanied by the "no resurrections" crack that tries to sell the idea that This Time It's For Realz, by the end of the movie the body count is so extreme that not even the most credulous viewer could ever think that this will end with anything other than a full reset.  Paradoxically, that lowers the stakes (though I expect we'll see some real casualties among the survivors of Thanos' purge).

• Love 12

Holy Crap! Like, holy holy holy crap!!!!!

I saw it tonight and bought a ticket for tomorrow before I even left the theater.

My brain is not working right now. All I can say is my theater had people burst out cheering/yelling/clapping/omigodding at least 10 times over the course of the movie. 

As always, stay for the end credits.

• Love 7

Why can't I stay out of this thread??!! You are all killing me!!! I am dying to look at the spoilers. It is taking every fiber of the little self-control that I have not to look. I am going tomorrow and got early tickets too. Arrgggggh!

• Love 1
19 minutes ago, anna0852 said:

Holy Crap! Like, holy holy holy crap!!!!!

I saw it tonight and bought a ticket for tomorrow before I even left the theater.

My brain is not working right now. All I can say is my theater had people burst out cheering/yelling/clapping/omigodding at least 10 times over the course of the movie. 

As always, stay for the end credits.

Yeah, it was brilliant. I loved seeing it with the die hards. Lots of clapping (from the opening sequence), gasps, cheers, fun reactions to characters showing up or just being mentioned.

One little thing I noticed and, loved was they changed the opening of Marvel Studios to Marvel Stud10s....I loved that.

Edited by Morrigan2575
  • Love 5
6 minutes ago, SimoneS said:

Why can't I stay out of this thread??!! You are all killing me!!! I am dying to look at the spoilers. It is taking every fiber of the little self-control that I have not to look. I am going tomorrow and got early tickets too. Arrgggggh!

My friends don't want to see it until next weekend to avoid the crowds, so I've got to somehow make it a week.

18 minutes ago, Perfect Xero said:

My friends don't want to see it until next weekend to avoid the crowds, so I've got to somehow make it a week.

The crowds are the BEST part!

I am traumatized. I am shooketh. I am not okay.

That said this is probably the most fun I've had in a movie theater since the first Avengers. My audience clapped and gasped and cheered countless times. I feel like I went on a 3 hour rollercoaster, this thing was a bullet train that did not let up. The Russos somehow balanced (ha!) the movie with heart and humor and pathos.

This was such a funny movie, most of the humor was built on what we know of the characters. All of the heart was built on what we know of the characters. That is why these movies work, even with the ridiculous spectacle of it all the characters come first. There is plot plot plot but people we care about shape that plot.

I didn't think a giant purple thumb could be such a good villain but somehow he was.

Edited by JessePinkman
  • Love 12

I have so many thoughts, but I think I'll wait until midnight so as not to have to spoiler tag the whole thing. 

I'll say that I loved it purely. It had some minor things I didn't like, but overall easily top 5 MCU. Perhaps #1?

The crowds are the BEST part!

Completely agree @JessePinkman

Edited by wingster55
  • Love 4
Just now, JessePinkman said:

This, x1000000!

How in the hell are we going to make it a year for the next part? I'm clinging onto Ant-Man and the Wasp, along with the dvd release of Black Panther to get me through. 

• Love 4

Ok, so it could go in a few ways...all of the deaths are reversed (which would be cheap imo), it's just the ones who were "snapped" away that'll come back, or they actually do stick. I think it's the second one. Loki, Heimdall and Gamora are all goners. It's pretty obvious that the ones who turned to dust are coming back. I mean, Spiderman has a sequel coming out in 2019! 

I did not expect to see Red Skull again. That was a legit surprise. 

The crowd in my theater (including myself) loved when Steve showed up initially, and when Thor showed up in Wakanda. 

So, yes the original 6 Avengers (because I assume Clint didn't turn to dust...and really he can't die off screen) are still around. My hope for them all to be in a scene together, and just them, is still alive. 

Edited by wingster55
Not former, second
  • Love 3

I'd add Vision to the goners list. 

What is going on with Banner?  Why doesn't Hulk want to come out and SMASH?

Red Skull was a gasp moment, didn't expect him. 

How does Tony get back to Earth? Thought it was interesting we were left with original avengers, plus Rhodey, Rocket, Nebula and Okoye.  We didn't see what happened to Shuri, did we?

Waiting for the end credit scene was torture.

Edited by hjmugillecuty
Added
  • Love 4

I don't think Thanos thought it through when left the original Avengers alive. He kills off all the Guardian except the smartest one in Rocket. They killed off all of Cap's best buddies. Thor has lost everyone.

I am certain most of the death are reverse especially Spiderman and Black Panther as they haven't even done their sequels yet.

As always I love Tony interacting with the other Marvel heroes and I really, really love his relationship with Peter. So it was official, Tony did propose to Pepper after Spiderman movie. I really would love to see the wedding with all the back from the dead Marvel heroes attending.

It is going to take forever until IW2 comes out.

Edited by nilyank
  • Love 4

It wasn't quite gelling for me at first, but it got there before too long.  Adding Spidey to the Tony-Dr. Strange group immediately kicked it up a notch, and by the time the Guardians found Thor, I was pretty all in.  Really glad that Nebula got a bit to do, although I would've loved to see more - I was worried for a sec that all we'd see of her in the film was Thanos torturing her.  Team Cap plus Rhodey and Vision in Wakanda was great.  In general, I prefer Spider-Man's suit to be more low-tech, but those spider legs were hella cool.  Enjoyed the brief fight between Tony-Dr. Strange-Spider-Man and the Guardians, because between the super suits and magical powers, there was no reason for the Guardians to think the Earth trio weren't Thanos lackeys.

MVPs for me were Spider-Man and Thor.  After Ragnarok, I wasn't quite sure what to expect with Thor, but I think they kept the balance right - when to go for the humor, when to pull back for drama, and when to unleash the badass.  This is easily Thor's best Avengers outing - I loved the scene of Rocket begrudgingly doing the "captain" thing and talking to Thor about his recent losses, with Thor half-manic in his insistence that he's totally all right and then seguing into that great speech about fate willing his survival.  And Tom Holland is just so amazing as Spider-Man; he made every scene he was in better.

As for the deaths, I was surprised that none of the original Avengers got dusted at the end.  In a way, it helped that such big characters faded away - I mean, it's not like Avengers 4 was going to keep HALF the universe obliterated, so they're obviously going to undo it, but seeing characters like T'Challa, Peter, and all the Guardians except Rocket (and Gamora, but she was already gone) disappear was like extra insurance.  There's no way in HELL Marvel is letting that Black Panther money go, and I think everyone who isn't nearing the end of a 6-to-7 film contract is probably safe.  I agree with winter55 that Loki, Heimdall, and Gamora are likely gone for good (and maybe Vision, although I wouldn't count Shuri's genius out,) but everyone else will come back.  That said, even though that gives me assurance that they aren't really dead, I still wasn't ready for it.  I think it's because the whole ramp-up to the movie had me so worried about the originals (even as I reminded myself that the Time Stone could put anybody back in the game, for Avengers 4 if nothing else) - I was bracing myself for one or more of them to bite it, while the forthcoming sequels for the newer franchises had me sorting those characters into the "safe" pile.  I was so not prepared to see Spider-Man die; that was the part that made me cry.

We never saw the status on Shuri, did we?  She has to still be alive - not only because we need her, but because Tony and Rocket haven't met her yet, and that positively has to happen.

• Love 5
2 hours ago, JessePinkman said:

I don't know how to recover. I'm seeing it again on Saturday, but that seems like too long a wait. 

There was a girl who started yelling out "No!" when the fades began happening in earnest. She got so loud someone finally had to shush her. I suppose this way through was the only way Strange saw our gang o' heroes winning, but wow, that was rough. 

I was surprised how much I felt for Vision and Wanda, but it worked for me.

Special shout out to Tom Holland. He is Peter Parker/Spider-Man. His "I don't wanna go" had me full on ?.

When's part 2 coming out??? I need it now!

Lastly, I don't care if they cheat and every one comes out alive. Bring back Quicksilver while they're at it. I'll take it. 

• Love 16