Type keyword(s) to search

Avengers: Infinity War (2018)

DollEyes
  • Start Topic

Between the Vanity Fair covers, the anticipation for the trailer & some co-stars'  inability to keep a secret, I just hád to start a thread for Avengers: Infinity War. A prime example of the latter is co-star Tom Holland, who "accidentally" revealed (via Instagram Live) the movie poster & the release date:

Oops!

Edited by DollEyes
  • Love 3

FUCKING FINALLY!!! I have been so well-behaved about avoiding pics online and the leaked con trailer.

This movie is gonna rock my world and probably break my heart, and I'm 100% fine with that. The only reason May doesn't seem impossibly far away is because we have the awesomeness of Black Panther to help get us through.

(One small negative note: I'm not sure how I feel about cgi Thanos. I think I would've preferred makeup and prosthetics.)

• Love 9

Vision! NOOOOOOOO!!!!!

"And get this man a shield." 

Otherwise, I gotta say, it felt weirdly choppy. More just highlighting the entire team of heroes rather than showing them in actual action. I don't know if that makes sense. Or, like @Joe, underwhelmed. It felt more like stills from a movie poster than a fast paced trailer.

And yeah, we all knew that Loki took it. But I'm interested to see the context of how he gives it to Thanos. Because, he looked dirty, like Thor, and I'm hoping it's not for gain. Wait, it's Loki, of course it's for his gain. But I have a pretty bad feeling that it's going to cost Loki his life and Thanos will kill him.

Who throws the spear-thingie (I'm really good at all the words) at Bucky? It's so fast, and dark, I can't make it out.

I don't think Peter/Spider-Man can take a punch from Thanos. 

18 minutes ago, coppersin said:

(One small negative note: I'm not sure how I feel about cgi Thanos. I think I would've preferred makeup and prosthetics.)

We saw Justice League this weekend and my daughter said the same thing about the villain in that one, too. We've seen Face Off. They could do it. Might take longer and make shooting go longer if they have to constantly touch it up so maybe that's why it's easier to go with CGI.

7 minutes ago, frenchtoast said:

Who throws the spear-thingie (I'm really good at all the words) at Bucky? It's so fast, and dark, I can't make it out.

It was at Steve and it was Proxima Midnight's spear.

Also, that wasn't the trailer they showed at D23/SDCC.

Edited by Wynterwolf
  • Love 1

The Guardians of the Galaxy get the last shot of the trailer.  A lot we're expecting their first movie to be a bomb, and it certainly wasn't, and now they get the last shot of the first Infinity War trailer.  Not bad for the group of nobodies that people thought wouldn't be able to carry their own movie.

• Love 10

My body is not ready for this! I am so hyped!  I especially liked the beginning with the various Avengers reciting Fury’s speech from Avengers. I can’t wait to see what started back in 2008 come to a head. It will be an emotional journey for sure.

Loved Black Panther’s “And get this man a shield!” Also; the Guardians at the end was a fun stinger.

19 minutes ago, frenchtoast said:

And yeah, we all knew that Loki took it. But I'm interested to see the context of how he gives it to Thanos. Because, he looked dirty, like Thor, and I'm hoping it's not for gain. Wait, it's Loki, of course it's for his gain. But I have a pretty bad feeling that it's going to cost Loki his life and Thanos will kill him.

Based on the end of Thor Rangnarok where 

Spoiler

We see Thanos’ ship coming up on the ship the Asgardians are on.

I am assuming Thanos will attack Thor and Loki and Loki will give him the Tesserect to save his behind while Thor will be left in the aftermath 

Spoiler

where he will be found by the Guardians based on the start of the Comic Con footage.

Edited by MadyGirl1987
  • Love 2
37 minutes ago, Joe said:

I want to like it, I'm just kind of underwhelmed. Anyone else feel that way? Maybe the next trailer will inspire me.

I think they are purposely starting slow so they have time to build momentum.  That was very different from the trailer they showed at D23/SDCC, it was much more deliberate with much fewer snippets of epic action.  Maybe Trailer 2 will closer to what they showed previously.  

So it looks like Thanos starts with the Power Stone (from Nova Corp), then moves onto the Space Stone (Tesseract) from Loki... then to Vision's Mind Stone.  And if you look at the MCU wiki for the Infinity Stones, they're only listing 5 so far (including the Reality Stone with The Collector, and the Time Stone with Dr. Strange.  They don't list the Mind Stone.)

• Love 2
37 minutes ago, MadyGirl1987 said:

My body is not ready for this! I am so hyped!  I especially liked the beginning with the various Avengers reciting Fury’s speech from Avengers. I can’t wait to see what started back in 2008 come to a head. It will be an emotional journey for sure.

Loved Black Panther’s “And get this man a shield!” Also; the Guardians at the end was a fun stinger.

Hide contents

I am assuming Thanos will attack Thor and Loki and Loki will give him the Tesserect to save his behind while Thor will be left in the aftermath 

Hide contents

where he will be found by the Guardians based on the start of the Comic Con footage.

I'm hoping that Loki is trying to save Thor or the Asgardians by offering the tesserect to Thanos.  I'll be bummed if he lose the growth of Loki we saw in Rangnarok.  The scene looks incredibly desperate.

I can't wait to watch it sound.  Steve with a BEARD.  And good lord, who let Parker come on this trip.  He's a BABY.

• Love 13
1 minute ago, SnoGirl said:

The scene looks incredibly desperate.

Yeah, the expression on his face is very... complicated.  But it doesn't look like he's the LEAST bit happy about this situation he's in.  We need the context!!

• Love 8
57 minutes ago, MadyGirl1987 said:

Reveal hidden contents

Hide contents

I prefer to think

Spoiler

Thanos attacks the ship they try to fight him off, Thor gets blasted out into space which leads to the Guardians scene)

Loki seeing the destruction/death offers up the Tesseract to Thanos to save what's left of Asgard. 

That's my story and, I'm sticking to it. 

I fraking loved the trailer the "Get this man a Shield" line and the scene of Cap, Bucky, Panther, Hulk, Widow and Michonne running into battle really got me emotional.

The final scene of Thor and The Guardians worked because I was waiting for Quill to answer ambulance there's boy reply except for Mantis' wave (I love her).

Edited by Morrigan2575
  • Love 10

OMG, I can barely breathe! I cannot wait. I saw Danai in that shot with Steve, Bucky, Black Panther, Natalie, and the Hulk. Thor! Looking dirty and sexy with the eye patch! Steve looked hot with his beard also. Amazing. I Love it! 

1 hour ago, coppersin said:

Yeah, I have never liked how they CGI'd Thanos.

Edited by SimoneS
  • Love 8

DAAAYYYMM!! My mind isn't just blown; it's disintegrated!! Iron Man! Cap with a beard! Loki stealing the Tesseract again! Spidey's body hair! Doctor Strange! Wong! Vision's a vision! Black Panther's funny! Hulk smashing! Ant-Man! Wasp! Winter Soldier! Wakanda! It's almost perfect. The only thing that might have made it even better would have been if when Thor asked the Guardians Of the Galaxy who they were, if they all were so stunned by his beauty they all responded with "I am Groot," while the real one rolled his eyes.

Edited by DollEyes
  • Love 12
Just now, anna0852 said:

Where's Hawkeye?!?!?

I noticed he was missing from the trailer too.

Spoiler

We know he's there, though, from bts shots showing him as Ronin.  So maybe he's an early 'casualty' and we see him change, as all the others display significant changes too. 

My excitement for this is warring with my sense of dread.

I hope they manage to shoehorn in some character development amidst all the explosions and set pieces.

I worry that it's too big a story with too many characters to do it justice in 2.5 - 3 hours and it'll end up being a unsatisfying disjointed clusterfuck.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, Wynterwolf said:

I think they are purposely starting slow so they have time to build momentum.  That was very different from the trailer they showed at D23/SDCC, it was much more deliberate with much fewer snippets of epic action.  Maybe Trailer 2 will closer to what they showed previously.

What I saw of the D23 trailer online was that there was a lot of repackaged existing footage while incorporating some of footage in this trailer. I wasn't there.

So it looks like Thanos starts with the Power Stone (from Nova Corp), then moves onto the Space Stone (Tesseract) from Loki... then to Vision's Mind Stone.  And if you look at the MCU wiki for the Infinity Stones, they're only listing 5 so far (including the Reality Stone with The Collector, and the Time Stone with Dr. Strange.  They don't list the Mind Stone.)

It looks like Thanos has the power and space stones. Who would have guessed that Xandar and Nova Corps were less adept at securing an infinity stone than the ruined husk of the Tivane Group, which still has the reality stone. Someone then appears to be prying the mind stone out of Vision's head.

At some point Hulk has fallen through the New York sanctum. Tony is there as is Wong and Dr. Strange.

Rhodey is at least well enough that he's back in the War Machine armor.

Also seems like there is a lot of battling in Wakanda.

Edited by HunterHunted
  • Love 2
2 minutes ago, Wynterwolf said:

It's from an old article that came out when CE was doing press for Gifted, but... **prayer circle**

He's said that a number of times in interviews over the past couple of years. I hope they take him up on it and keep him as Steve/Cap in some capacity going forward. Honestly I can't imagine anyone but Chris as Steve/Cap.  RDJ has been contracted per movie for a while now. They could do the same with Chris.

• Love 8

Any news site or tumblr do a shot-by-shot of the trailer yet?  It just moves so fast, I would love to just scroll through pictures.

I don't know if I should be excited or filled with dread.  I can't handle this AND the media blitz of the Star Wars trailers right now AND still having feelings about DC's Crossover on the CW.  It's too much for my geeky heart!  I need more information!

• Love 2
2 minutes ago, Wynterwolf said:

You are the best @Wynterwolf!  This movie looks incredible.  But looking at those screenshots...I thought Thanos would be more purple?

• Love 2

Not just Thor! I can't wait to see the Guardians with the rest of the crew. Turn Rocket and Tony loose in a lab! Send Gamora through one of Dr. Stranges portal-thingies (I didn't see that movie, I only know him from Ragnarok)! Try to explain Groot! Let Valkaryie loose with Nat, Maria, Gamora and Nebula!

• Love 10

Once again Tom Holland's Spider-Man activates my paternal instincts. When Thanos chokeslams him I was like "Leave him alone! He's just a boy!"

I keep on telling myself that Marvel wouldn't have gone through all the hassle of getting the rights to feature Spiderman only to kill him off in his third appearance.

• Love 4

Not quite as good as the past few Marvel trailers (Thor: Ragnarok, Black Panther), but still easily made me hyped for it.  Really can't wait to see everyone in the same film together and what possible new interactions can come out of it, Thanos looks appropriately menacing (the CGI is a bit disappointing, but Josh Brolin more then makes up for it), and if some of these iconic heroes might actually not make it out of it alive.

They totally fooled me, because I was wondering why there was a lack of Guardians in it, but then when it cuts to Thor asking "Who are you guys?", I knew it was them!  I love that they actually got big damn hero moment in the trailer.  Even Marvel probably never predicted they would be this popular when they agreed to make the first film.  

• Love 1

Oh my GOD I cant handle this! Its here! And it looks amazing! Less action than I expected, but I bet they're saving the money shots for later, or in the actual movie. Thats cool with me. I mean, look! Its everyone! Meeting up! Kicking ass! Its happening! Its truly amazing that we`ve gotten here. 

It looks like Loki did take the Tesserect, but I think he is giving it to Thanos in an attempt to save whats left of Asgard. It looked like a pretty nasty battle he was walking out of, and he looked less triumphant and more scared and desperate. 

I was actually sad that we hadn't seen the Guardians, but then when Thor (with his eye patch, looking extra sexy) asked "who are you?" I knew it would be them. Awesome. Although, every time Peter showed up, I was just like "No! He`s just a kid!"  

• Love 7

In between when I watched it this morning and watching it now, the trailer has gone from 500,000 views and over 10 million and I watched at 11 AM.

I've got to figure that the scene between Wanda and Vision with skin is a shared telepathic vision between the two of them.

2 hours ago, scriggle said:

He's said that a number of times in interviews over the past couple of years. I hope they take him up on it and keep him as Steve/Cap in some capacity going forward. Honestly I can't imagine anyone but Chris as Steve/Cap.  RDJ has been contracted per movie for a while now. They could do the same with Chris.

Same here. Disney/Marvel have done such a great job with casting their superheroes and their movies have been such huge hits that it will be very difficult for them when they decide to reboot these superheroes in a few years.

37 minutes ago, tennisgurl said:

It looks like Loki did take the Tesserect, but I think he is giving it to Thanos in an attempt to save whats left of Asgard. It looked like a pretty nasty battle he was walking out of, and he looked less triumphant and more scared and desperate. 

I thought the same. I knew Loki had stolen the Tesserect, but even he couldn't have foreseen this destruction. I hope that some of the Asgardians survived, there was a little girl lying dead at his feet. I wonder about Heimdall's fate. He is the only one not in this movie.

Edited by SimoneS
  • Love 6

I loved this trailer. You guys have hit all the points but I gotta say, they got me in the beginning with the slowed down version of the Avengers theme. I love love love, that music; I'll always have the memories of watching this movie called the Avengers with my family, when I hear it, and the feeling of being just happy.

• Love 13
5 hours ago, SimoneS said:

Same here. Disney/Marvel have done such a great job with casting their superheroes and their movies have been such huge hits that it will be very difficult for them when they decide to reboot these superheroes in a few years.

Why would they necessarily need to reboot?  There have been six James Bonds and only one actually reboot, and even that was kind of a soft one, since they kept the same M.

I’d rather they treat this universe as one continuing narrative. No reboots. Just treat it like the comic universe except everyone ages and people die.

That trailer was everything.

tumblr_oknt9fvzG61ttzobeo1_250.gif

I don’t need to see anything else from this movie. I just need it now.

• Love 6
7 hours ago, Wynterwolf said:

"Soul Stone ???"

**coughWakandacough**

I think it is Wakanda but, I saw really interesting spec on twitter that Heimdall has the Soul Stone. They said it's the stone in his Armor's breast plate, his eyes are gold and he can see people throughout the universe

Edited by Morrigan2575
  • Love 2
4 minutes ago, Morrigan2575 said:

I think it is Wakanda but, I saw really interesting spec on twitter that Helmdeil has the Soul Stone. They said it's the stone in his Armor's breast plate, his eyes are gold and he can see people throughout the universe

I think that's been the prevailing assumption for awhile, and it's certainly another possibility.  I just like the idea of it being on Wakanda, and being part of their spiritual system, better from a narrative standpoint.  Plus, it would give a really good reason why The Black Order is attacking Wakanda, and why TeamCap+ appear to be making a stand there.  Heimdall has magic, there's no doubt about that, but so do most of the Asguardian people, and the Tesseract is already associated with Asguard.  It just feels a bit clunky for them to have control over two stones, and to have both stones on the ship when Loki hands over the Space Stone.  But... they could! 

• Love 1

I think my favourite part was T'Challa saying to prepare the Wakanda defenses. Because I firmly believe that T'challa's government probably has a plan in the event of something like this. One of my favourite little bits from my Black Panther comic reading days was a panel that showed a view of T'challa's desk and he had a book sized report that was a contingency plan for his country in the event that Galactus attacked.

Also hearing the Avengers theme at the end gave me chills like I was Peter Parker on a school bus.

9 hours ago, scriggle said:

I hope they manage to shoehorn in some character development amidst all the explosions and set pieces.

I worry that it's too big a story with too many characters to do it justice in 2.5 - 3 hours and it'll end up being a unsatisfying disjointed clusterfuck.

Honestly at this point I am not even sure i care. Let the other movies handle character development. By the time this movie comes out there will have been 18 previous movies to handle the character stuff. Just give me a decent, logical story and I am fine with 150 minutes or so of non-stop action.

• Love 10