Type keyword(s) to search

Avengers: Infinity War (2018)

DollEyes
  • Start Topic

Crowd reactions for this movie on Thursday night were great.

Claps/cheers for: Hulk's appearance on the Asgard ship, Spiderman's appearance on the bus (everyone started at the arm because we knew), Caps appearance at the train station, Thor's appearance in Wakanda and, for Black Widow/Okoye showing up to face Proxima Midnight (lots of cheers for this one).

Gasps for: Heimdall and Loki, silence for Gamora (i think everyone was stunned and couldn't believe it).

At the end with the dusting there were gasps and nos for Groot, Peter, Quill, and Black Panther.

When the credits hit, everyone sat in silence, very quiet just waiting for post scenes. There was laughter when Fury started to deliver his Motha.... And then claps cheers when the Capt. Marvel logo showed up.

Two more fun reactions, there were gasps at the end when the Infinity War logo dusted away and, chuckles and a few "no shit(s)" when they popped up the message "Thanos Will Return"

• Love 16
38 minutes ago, Morrigan2575 said:

Claps/cheers for: Hulk's appearance on the Asgard ship, Spiderman's appearance on the bus (everyone started at the arm because we knew), Caps appearance at the train station, Thor's appearance in Wakanda and, for Black Widow/Okoye showing up to face Proxima Midnight (lots of cheers for this one).

Gasps for: Heimdall and Loki, silence for Gamora (i think everyone was stunned and couldn't believe it).

At the end with the dusting there were gasps and nos for Groot, Peter, Quill, and Black Panther.

When the credits hit, everyone sat in silence, very quiet just waiting for post scenes. There was laughter when Fury started to deliver his Motha.... And then claps cheers when the Capt. Marvel logo showed up.

Two more fun reactions, there were gasps at the end when the Infinity War logo dusted away and, chuckles and a few "no shit(s)" when they popped up the message "Thanos Will Return"

This was my experience 100%. So great. 

• Love 2
14 hours ago, anna0852 said:

Having seen it twice now (yes, twice!) my theory is that Dr. Strange saw in the one positive outcome that Thanos has to think he succeeded and that means the dusting. I'm just going to call it 'dusting' since that seem easiest. And I think Dr. Strange told Tony at least some of what was coming and what to do next in order to have the positive outcome. There was at least some lag time on Titan when Thanos departed before the showdown on Earth. I don't think Tony was told exactly who was being dusted (cause if Pepper was on that list then Tony will go non-functional) but I think Strange briefed Tony, probably to get back to Earth and the Sanctum and to get with Wong to put this all right and bring Thanos down once and for all.

I agree that this is the most likely scenario. Strange must have told Tony what he saw after Thanos headed to earth.

18 hours ago, Jenniferbug said:

The Black Widow/Okoye/Scarlet Witch fight against Proxima Midnight was so awesome and everything I needed it to be.

It was a great fight. Marvel needs to team up these amazing women, maybe we get to see them in Captain Marvel. 

10 hours ago, thuganomics85 said:

While Loki and Killmonger will still go down as the best villains, Thanos more then delivered.  Josh Brolin was excellent, and I really like that Thanos wasn't Mwaaah evil, but truly believed that he was balancing the universe with his horrible acts.  But I love that he had an almost bizarre respect for a lot of his opponents, like saying he liked Quill after he was willing to pull the trigger, or his "I hope they remember you" to Tony.  It never felt mocking or like he was taunting, but he really respected them as warrior, even though he knew he outmatched them in almost every way.

I would add Hela to my top three villains along with Loki and Killmonger. However, I agree about Thanos. I don't know how Brolin and the Russo brothers succeed in making him so "human," but they did. One way they got me was by showing that Thanos understands and respects his enemies. He insightfully used people's emotional vulnerabilities against them; torturing Thor to make Loki give up the Tesseract and torturing Nebula to make Gamora give up the Reality Stone. His obvious love for Gamora even though he was willing to sacrifice her for the power to "save" the universe. Such a compelling character.

I have been thinking about which heroes will be back. As of right now, I think that all of the heroes who died in Infinity War will return including Heimdall, Loki, and Gamora (especially since she is in alive as a child in Thanos' "reality." Whatever Strange told Tony to do might involve using the Time Stone which will take them back to the past where they can stop Thanos earlier. However, in the next movie, the heroes we lose will likely be gone for good. Maybe Steve stays in the past with Peggy or sacrifices himself to save the universe again.

Edited by SimoneS
  • Love 7
1 hour ago, Morrigan2575 said:

Same. I'm so glad I went to a showing with an audience that was so into the movie, totally heightened the experience for me. There are some podcast /video blogs I listened to for reviews where their audience only clapped once. Once! What?!

I think my audience was so hyped up from Cap's entrance ( I couldn't believe how loud they were) that Falcon and to a little lesser extent Black Widow (I think because how she entered so fast) got cheers from everyone too. Tho Thor coming in in during Wakanda was by far the loudest.

This was also the first time hardly anyone (maybe even no one) left before the credits were over, that's never happened before when I went to a Marvel movie either. Everyone just sat waiting.

• Love 3
1 hour ago, Morrigan2575 said:

Pretty much the same for my theater. Plus a lot of "no's" when the characters dusted, even if we knew it wouldn't stick. 

• Love 2

Just saw it and LOVED it.  And so did the Theatre I was in.

Marvel has been building this franchise since 2008 and it has REALLY payed off.  There were so many characters in this movie and I think the reason it worked so well is because we know all of the characters by this point.

I think Tony/Pepper, T'Challa/Nakee are the best pairings in the MU but Peter and Gamora are not far behind them.  This movie really sold me on the couple.  Peter's jealousy of Thor when he and Gamora were talking, lol (and whoa, holy chemistry, Thor/Gamora in an alternate universe) and their talk when Gamora wanted Peter to kill her if Thanos managed to take her.   Peter and Gamora had really good scenes.

Thanos is an awesome villain.  Josh Brolin did great work and I was really surprised as I've never been overly impressed by the comic book version of the character.  He was given dimension that hasn't been bestowed on a lot of the Marvel Villains.  Loki, Killmonger and now Thanos have been Marvels best villains.

I was glad we got to spend a lot of time with the Bruce Banner half of Hulk.  He managed to crack my theatre up as the imperiled damsel with Tony, Strange and Wong.

Captain America and Natasha's entrance got HUGE applause in my theatre.  They are two of my favorite characters in the franchise and they didn't have too much to d this time but I loved what we did see of them.  How do they not have any intense interaction but still display such awesome chemistry?  Natasha and Okoye teaming up to deal with that Black Order villainess got big applause as well.

There wasn't a single thread that I didn't love during this movie.  Tony/Strange/Spiderman/The Guardians, Thanos/Gamora, The Wakanda Battle, all of it was just thrilling.

And I nearly fell out of my chair when I saw Peter Dinklage.

Edited by Advance35
  • Love 8

"Thanos of Titan!! You just took out half of the universe's population!! What are you going to do now?!?" "Shit . . . .I . . . shit. Is there a Diseyworld anymore? I could go with my daug- . . . damn. What the shit was wrong with me?"

That was epic. Yeah, there were flaws, and Gamora looked so stupid and she went out like a punk.

Red Skull: Surprise, guys! I'm kindasorta the guardian of the Soul Stone. Basically, you have to sacrifice something really special to get it. A soul for a soul.

Thanos: [contemplating]

Gamora: [tense]

Red Skull: Yep . . . . something reeeeeeeeeeeeeally special. Or someone. Like, maybe somebody you love so much.

Thanos: [grunts]

Gamora: [still tense]

Red Skull: You aren't listening to me, are you, woman? I could be reciting and mangling Hugo Weaving lines and you wouldn't notice. "Mr. Thanoson, welcome back. How I missed you."

Thanos [turns around]

Red Skull: While I'm at what I'm presuming is the very last of my screen time . . . .Hydra. What the fuck was I thinking with that?!?

Thanos just doesn't give a fuck, in the sense that he focused so much on the halving, and he didn't fix anything around that. Minimum, I would've used the Mind Stone to "adjust" memories of the survivors. The comics Thanos seemed like a guy that wanted worship and fear. This one had a job, he did it, and now he wants to kick back.

Seriously, though, epic movie. My mother wasn't into it. She thought it was too long. My rebuttal is that it wasn't three hours, and I can probably retain things better. The deaths-by-rapture were tragic, even though the Gauntlet is basically a giant reset button. Shit, even Loki and Hemidall might get brought back. Or the dudes from the end of Ragnarok. Seriously, the Black Order killed everybody we grew to like? Including Rock Kiwi and the Unhived Brood?!? Not Valkyrie, though. She probably found a small planet what was encompassed by a single bar, and she jumped ship.

I probably have more thoughts, but I'll do that over time. Like how the Rapture will probably "kill" Scott and/or his supporting cast. Or how there's no MCU film later this year, and we won't know what happened for another year. Wait . . . .another 53 weeks. Oy.

ETA: The reason for the Arrested Development shoutout. Did not notice that. Collector really loves collecting, even though his tastes obviously suck.

Edited by Lantern7
  • Love 3

Thinking back over the movie, the Guardians meeting Tony/Strange/Spiderman moment is still one of my favorites.  Anyone else think Missouri should change their state motto to: "Missouri's on Earth, dipshit!"

• Love 19

Peter Dinklage as a giant dwarf was perfect casting.  Please bring him back.

Second perfect casting was the little girl who played young Gamora, she looks just like Zoe Saldana.

"So.  We're using made up names.  OK, I'm Spider-Man."  Please let Peter get better.

• Love 15

@Silver Raven: I meant later in the year, like Ragnarok was. We got AMTW this summer, then Captain Marvel In February.

Thinking about it, while I’m guessing a lot of the “dead” will come back . . . there aren’t any cosmic characters in the fix. From what I remember, it was all cosmic folks in Infinity Gauntlet. I guess Captain Marvel would count, but I was thinking along the lines of Adam Warlock and Silver Surfer.

I thought preparing myself via spoilers would help but it didn't.

I know everyone that got dusted will be back -- please God -- but what about Gamora? She can't be dead forever just when she and Peter finally got together!!

RIP Korg and Asguardians. Loki...it's been fun. But what about Valkyrie?! Please tell me she made it out offscreen and she's hiding somewhere? Because if the fate of the world rests with Captain Marvel, Valkyrie, Okoye, Nat, Nebula, and maybe Sharon rising up to save the day, that would rule.

All the Avenger/Guardian interactions were great. Thor and Rocket hit it off pretty well, despite him mistaking him for a rabbit, LOL.

"Get lost, Squidward!"

Strange giving Thanos the stone HAS to be part of some kind of plan.

The thing that pisses me off? All those characters dying, but STILL no comeuppance for Asshat Ross?! Rhodes telling him off and him possibly getting dusted offscreen doesn't count!

Well, we are in for another long wait. Motherf--!

Edited by Spartan Girl
  • Love 2

Just got back from my second viewing. I can't believe I got anxious again when the dusting started happening even though I knew exactly what would happen. This is why I love movies. I got more emotional with Wanda/Vision this time - Lizzie sold Wanda's anguish at having to kill Vision, and I cried yet again at Spidey's dusting. After other people mentioned it, I couldn't stop staring at Bruce's head in the Hulkbuster after everyone was dusted away. They must have drained their CGI budget at that point. 

While I was waiting for my friend, I was listening to a group next to me. This girl was so angry and devastated and kept saying there's no hope now. Her friends were like, you know there are more movies coming, right? It is neat to see the different reactions - those who have read the comics, those who are MCU nerds, and those who now think everyone's dead forever. 

• Love 6

I loved parts and didn’t love parts. 

I haven’t seen Dr Strange (I tried but fell asleep.... twice) but felt Ragnarok gave me a good enough intro. I know giving the stone up had to be the one positive outcome he saw. 

The movie was both weird and predictable.

And if you’re fighting an epic battle in Wakanda, why on earth didn’t you unleash the vibranium rhinos?!?

Honestly. I was disappointed.  I am going to see it again with my kids as they want to see it but I feel cheated.

Like the ending of the X-men movie where they reset the present (Days of Future Past).

• Love 1
1 hour ago, SeanC said:

Since Strange said there was only one scenario where they won, does that mean that Quill ruined the capture of Thanos in every single timeline?

Not necessarily.  Strange may have foreseen Quill's actions anyway.  There was any number of things that could have gone wrong in every timeline, and Thanos definitely had the advantage going in.  Dr. Strange examined millions of possible timelines and there was a lot of things that could go wrong, kind of a "for want of a nail" situation.

• Love 5
1 hour ago, Notwisconsin said:

A bunch of people, including me started running for the bathroom as soon as the credits started, and were lucky to get back before the "epilogue"  began.

I waited , and suffered. :)

28 minutes ago, Crs97 said:

Could someone please tell me if Dr. Strange’s cloak dusted with him?  I am quite attached to that item of clothing.

I want a stand alone cloak movie.  :D

• Love 7
58 minutes ago, deaja said:

And if you’re fighting an epic battle in Wakanda, why on earth didn’t you unleash the vibranium rhinos?!?

Hopefully someone else might have more insight but, I got the impression that T'Challa didn't have the full support of all the Tribes. I know W'Kabi's tribe was there but, W'kabi wasn't (maybe in prison?) But, I wondered if the tribe didn't give all of their resources. 

One other thing I just remembered (after seeing a tweet of Cap/Black Panther funko pops), I loved the scene where they all charged and of course Panther/Cap are in the lead (simply because of physical ability) and then both leaped. I just found it entertaining

• Love 7
5 minutes ago, Lugal said:

Not necessarily.  Strange may have foreseen Quill's actions anyway.  There was any number of things that could have gone wrong in every timeline, and Thanos definitely had the advantage going in.  Dr. Strange examined millions of possible timelines and there was a lot of things that could go wrong, kind of a "for want of a nail" situation.

I was mainly joking there.  There’d obviously be realities where their plan didn’t get as far along as it did here.  But surely in at least one scenario, logically, the plan should have worked, since it failed only because of Quill. 

• Love 2
18 minutes ago, Morrigan2575 said:

Hopefully someone else might have more insight but, I got the impression that T'Challa didn't have the full support of all the Tribes. I know W'Kabi's tribe was there but, W'kabi wasn't (maybe in prison?) But, I wondered if the tribe didn't give all of their resources.

Yeah. when T'Challa and Okoye were walking out to meet the newcomers , he asks her about how W'kabi was faring in prison, so my impression was that the last of Kilmonger's sympathizers had yet to be dealt with.

• Love 4
33 minutes ago, Morrigan2575 said:

I loved the scene where they all charged and of course Panther/Cap are in the lead (simply because of physical ability) and then both leaped.

This was one of the little touches I loved. Of course, those two should be way ahead of the rest. Learning Thor took Groot as an elective. Cap and Falcon's uniforms being beat to hell. Small character moments that didn't need to be there but enhanced the story. With the amount of characters they had to deal with, it would have been easy to ignore that stuff, but I think it elevated the movie. 

I don't really care about reviews on this movie because I loved it, but I just saw this hot take and lol'd.

Edited by calliope1975
  • Love 5

I'm still trying to process everything that happened. I'm so glad I manged to see it spoiler-free. I was expecting to lose several characters, but I was surprised by just how many. I think Heimdall might be gone for good, not sure about Loki. I was staring in shock when Gamora died. She better be back, or I will be so pissed. There's so much more to her story both with Nebula and with Peter. (Side note, the actress playing young Gamora was great.) I'm sure most everyone who vanished will be back. It's also a toss-up as to whether Vision will somehow be restored, though I hope he will be, for Wanda's sake. The other big surprise was seeing Red Skull again. Where the fuck did he come from?

I loved all of the different team-ups, especially Thor, Rocket, and Groot. Thor took "Groot" as an elective! Groot used his arm to make the handle for the hammer! Thor calling Rocket a rabbit! I loved it all. Tony, Peter, and Dr. Strange with the rest of the Guardians was great, too. "That's on Earth, dip-shit." Drax being there for the entirety of Peter and Gamora's conversation and believing himself to be invisible was hilarious. The scene that got the loudest laughs at my showing was Mantis saying, "Kick names, take ass!" 

Loved the battle scenes in Wakanda. I busted out laughing when Bruce tripped and Okoye gave him a look of disdain as she went by. Bruce going, "Oh, you guys are so screwed!" when Thor showed up was great; I love their friendship. I just about jumped out of my seat and started clapping when Nat and Okoye jumped in to help Wanda against Proxima Midnight. "She's not alone." Marvel, get me my Black Widow movie featuring Okoye and Wanda, STAT, k thanks. 

What I really loved was the parallel of Peter/Gamora and Wanda/Vision: Gamora making Peter promise to kill her if Thanos got to her, and Vision insisting Wanda destroy the Mind Stone even though he'll be destroyed along with it. Two of the three most heart-wrenching moments were Gamora telling Peter, "You promised", and Wanda trying to hold off Thanos while destroying the Mind Stone/Vision. The other, of course, was Peter (Spidey) realizing that he was about disappear, and hugging Tony while pleading, "I don't want to go." Tears for days.

Other things I loved:

--"Get lost, Squidward."
--"They're from space, and they're trying to steal a necklace from a wizard."
--"Is Footloose still the greatest movie in history?" "It never was."
--"I am Groot." "I am Steve Rogers."
--"Motherfu-"  

• Love 17
34 minutes ago, Cobalt Stargazer said:

Yeah. when T'Challa and Okoye were walking out to meet the newcomers , he asks her about how W'kabi was faring in prison, so my impression was that the last of Kilmonger's sympathizers had yet to be dealt with.

What? I've seen this twice And the conversation while they were walking out to the Avengers plane was about opening the borders and getting the Olympics and maybe a Starbucks.

• Love 1
4 minutes ago, anna0852 said:

What? I've seen this twice And the conversation while they were walking out to the Avengers plane was about opening the borders and getting the Olympics and maybe a Starbucks.

It's entirely possible that I conflated the events, but I do remember him mentioning that W'kabi was in jail, and if that was the case then maybe other tribes who weren't completely loyal didn't give everything they could for the defenses. Thanks for the correction.

On 4/27/2018 at 9:19 AM, hjmugillecuty said:

I'm trying to keep track of who was where. Here's what I've got so far: Dead: Heimdall, Loki, Gamora, Vision, the Collector, Children of Thanos Vanished: Dr Strange, Spiderman, Draxx, Mantis, Quill, Sam, Bucky, T'Challa, Wanda, Nick Fury, Maria, Groot Living: Thanos, Cap, Tony, Natasha, Thor, Bruce, Rhodey, Rocket, Okoye, M'Baku Appeared in the movie but status unknown: Wong, Shuri Anyone else?

I thought Rhodey also disappeared?

I don't even remember that last second from Fury. If he's dead for good, it would be a fitting sendoff for SLJ.

I missed Agents of SHIELD last night thanks to napping. I don't think there was any crossover. I can imagine the team having a great day, only for most of them to poof out. Everybody but Coulson, who just yells "COME ON!!!!!" Kinda want him to live. And now I want Loki to live, so he can admit to Phil that killing him was a dick move. "Eh, I got better." "You go to Tahiti? I hear it's a magical place." "Fuck you, Loki."

BTW, did anyone say where the "real" shield was stashed?

• Love 2

I am going to really have to process this movie....although I did not LOVE the last Thor movie, I really LOVED Thor in this movie!   He was the MVP to me and the best at balancing the humor with some drama.  The worst thing about the movie was that there were so many characters that it was almost impossible to get enough of your favorite.  Love that M'Baku was there.....would like to know what happened to Shuri.   Was it explained why Hulk would not come out?  I want to see it again just to see Thor arriving in Wakanda.   I really wish Captain Marvel would have been about 4 months after this and the 2nd part 6 months.  A year is too long to wait. 

Oddly this is the first movie that I have really appreciated how good looking Chris Hemsworth is!  I also saw Sebastian Stan in GQ with short hair and had to re evaluate that situation as well.  What a group of great looking people! 

I can do without romance in my action and superhero movies.....Pepper, the Vision/Witch thing...just no.  I wonder how the lives lost in Wakanda will play out in the next Black Panther movie? I can't imagine his people will be happy about opening up their country and losing lives for a cause they knew nothing about. 

I would speculate two things...Shuri did something to the stone she was working with and Strange also did something since he saw the one way they could win.  Giving up the stone had to be part of the plan....that or the stone that they received from Red Skull has some type of curse on it that will complicate things with Thanos. 

Did not love how Gamora went out...or that once again a black character has to be the first to die!  I thought we moved past that after X men First Class! Too many things were left to your imagination....like where was Valkyrie and the rest of the people who were on the ship at the end of the last Thor movie? 

• Love 1
On 4/28/2018 at 8:21 PM, catrice2 said:

I thought Rhodey also disappeared?

No, he was there with the other 'survivors'.  

And I would add that we might not yet know the condition of Vision.  HIs body didn't appear to have any power, but after what Shuri said about him being a mixture of a lot of things, and not just the stone, he might not be gone gone.  Particularly if Shuri is still alive, she might be able to salvage something, even if it's just the JARVIS pieces.  

I did enjoy it, but there was not nearly enough Team Cap for me.  And I did appreciate Thanos as a complex villain, and I thought it was well done that he was basically what tied everything together, but I did think they spent too much time with just him and that part could have been more tightly edited.  

I love every moment Thor was on screen and Chris Hemsworth was fabulous.  

The dustings/disintegrations were really well done, Bucky's "Steve?" as he watches his own arms start to disappear (not unlike in Civil War) and then Steve just in shock... reaching down to touch all that was left.  Wanda's look of anguish was she flutters away, Okoye's look of horror as she realizes T'Challa is gone, and oh god... Peter clinging to Tony.  Dayum.  

I am seeing it again tomorrow.  

Edited by Wynterwolf
  • Love 7

We're not sure what happened to Shuri. She wasn't seen dusting at the end but beyond that we don't know. If she's alive, she's now the queen of Wakanda. And that's probably not a position she wants.

• Love 1

The friends I saw it with, weren't happy that we didn't get a lot of certain characters, but I just thought about it and I realized that a lot of the under-screentime marquee characters, happen to be the one's left now that Thanos pulled off his plan.    Tony, Captain America, Natasha, Thor, Bruce, Nebula, maybe Okoye and Shuri will be the one's leading the fight against Thanos.

Still can't get over how awesome a job the Russo brothers did with Thanos.  The pathos they managed to give him is just so impressive.

I wish we had seen how Steve and Natasha had met up again, the last we saw her, she had red hair and had just had her falling out with Tony over everything that happened at the airport battle.  I thought she would have gone off on her own.

And I've re-evaluated my couple appreciation in this movie.  I think I like Peter/Gamora more then Tony/Pepper.  I get Tony is exasperating on a good day but sometimes her nagging can get tired.   Quill is high maintenance too but Gamora handles it in a less nails on a chalk board manner, IMO.

Also I have to admit  I was SHOCKED we didn't see any Hawkeye.  Was that spoiled, I would have sworn Jeremy Renner had filmed for this movie.  I don't think the potential of the Clint character has been optimized but I do like JR/Hawkeye so that was a small disappointment.

Edited by Advance35
  • Love 4
1 minute ago, Advance35 said:

I wish we had seen how Steve and Natasha had met up again, the last we saw her, she had red hair and had just had her falling out with Tony over everything that happened at the airport battle.  I thought she would have gone off on her own.

In the tie in comics, Steve, Nat and Sam have been working off grid to retrieve alien tech from terrorists.  It seems likely that could be what Sam's response about how they looked was related to.  

• Love 2

Before I go to bed and still thinking about AoS . . . wanna know how the fourth movie ends? Mack killing Thanos with his shotgun axe, right into that bloated purple noggin. In case you don't watch Agents of SHIELD, Mack basically fused an axe and a shotgun. Why would you need a shield, Stormbreaker or Eye of Agametto when you have that?!?

Wasn't "Stormbreaker" the name of Beta Ray Bill's hammer? For anyone not into comics . . .  he was a horse-looking alien that was worthy enough to wield Mjolnir. I know, sounds dumb, but the stories were from Walt Simonson, and they were epic as fuck. I think Bill's visage was seen in Ragnarok.

• Love 1

Loved it. I knew each death that was coming and I still felt sad when it happened. My crowd was annoying though. I mean they tried to outwit the characters, especially when Tony, Strange, or Quill were in scenes, or loudly anticipate the next move. It really took me out of the movie at times.

• Love 2

I just wanted to add my thoughts before reading everyone else's. 

I really loved it! It was different then what I was expecting and wanted based on the trailers but still great.

The rest of my group of siblings and cousins were various degrees of loved it! to it was garbage :(

One thing we all agreed on in a funny way was that it was all Star-Lords fault!

Now back to page 5 to see what everyone else thinks!

• Love 2
2 minutes ago, Jenniferbug said:

Just saw it a second time. 

What does Cap say at the end when he's sitting next to dead Vision, just before it cuts to Thanos?

I believe it was "Oh, God."  That was it.  Poor Cap looked like he was about to cry or scream.

My reaction afterwards was "Wut?" I'm still absorbing it all.  When the characters started dusting I damn near lost it.  I do think it was a bit convenient that none of the original Avengers dusted, though.  I really thought Cap or Tony would have evaporated.  However, I'm pretty sure that with the exception of Loki and Heimdall, the rest are coming back.  Including Gamora.  I think her main plot will be retrieving her soul.  Peter begging Tony to help him was the worst part.  That poor kid.  

I avoided spoilers as much as I could, but some asshole on YouTube actually titled their video "Guardians' death at the end of Infinity War."  People suck.  

Farewell, Loki.  You were an amazing villain.  Knew his death was coming but it still hurt.  And Thanos' little "No resurrection this time" was basically proof that Loki's not coming back.  But really, it would take way more than a dagger to take out the Mad Titan.  At least he went out fighting.  And him referring to himself as "Odin's son" was a nice moment.  

Loving Thor these days.  He's really come into his own, and seeing him interact with the Guardians was hilarious.  

I really enjoyed this.  Not as much as Black Panther, but I'm giving the errors a pass.  The Russos had to incorporate a lot into this film; brand new characters, the big daddy of all villains, and tie it all together to make sense.  It wasn't going to be perfect.  That said, I do have questions.

1. Did Thanos want to wipe out half the galaxy or just Earth?
  2. Did all the Asgardians die?  Thanos said half, but where did the other half go?
  3. There were scenes and clips that weren't shown in the film.  Clint was shown wearing some different uniform, but he's nowhere in the final cut.  There was a flashback scene with Thor and Loki after the events in The Avengers.  Heimdall supposedly had one of the stones and the Avengers were trying to protect him.
  • Love 5

There were some funny lines I loved. One that had me laughing was:

”I’m Peter.”

”Dr Strange”

”Oh, we’re using our made up names. I’m Spider-Man.”

Ironically, he really is Stephen Strange, former neurosurgeon. So out of everyone (from Earth), not made up. Which makes it even funnier.

2 hours ago, Amethyst said:

Did Thanos want to wipe out half the galaxy or just Earth?

Half the universe. For just earth, he could do it manually, the way he's always done it. It's also worth emphasizing that he's not choosing who lives or dies, perhaps with some very specific exceptions, like maybe Stark and Nebula. Even with all six stones, that seems like a lot of work. Nope: choose half at random -- as he says, it's fair that way.

I wonder how many people have actually read the Infinity Gauntlet? They're not following the comic -- nor should they -- but how things get resolved in that story does color one's perceptions of the movie.

• Love 2
8 hours ago, anna0852 said:

I think it was either when T'Challa/Okoye were walking to meet Bucky and give him the arm

There's also point where they talk about what sort of Army they have, which happens after they greet Steve and leads into the Steve/Bucky reunion. 

• Love 1
9 hours ago, Cobalt Stargazer said:

34 minutes ago, Morrigan2575 said:

I think it was either when T'Challa/Okoye were walking to meet Bucky and give him the arm

There's also point where they talk about what sort of Army they have, which happens after they greet Steve and leads into the Steve/Bucky reunion. 

That's what I remember--when Okoye and T'Challa were going to Bucky to enlist him and bring him his arm there was mention of the Border Tribe. I don't know that I remember hearing W'Kabi, but I do remember the nod to what happened. 

There was a lot that happened. The ending just hit me so hard that just now the pieces of the movie are coming back. "Don't put eggs in me bug lady." Oh, Parker. And hee.

We brought our kids--12 y.o. daughter and 15 y.o. son. They've seen all the movies more than once, completely familiar with the MCU. We had talked about how heroes were going to die. My 12 y.o. daughter was an ugly crying mess at the end of the movie. Spidey clinging to Tony wrecked her. She was sitting next to my husband (we were a group of 8) and when I saw her when I got out of the bathroom, her face was splotchy red, the lips were grimaced and she was holding back sobs. I quickly took her to the car to recover. Poor thing. That'll be a story she'll tell forever, but she is pissed. Like, it's the worst movie ever, how could that happen. She's not going to see the next one until we see it and make sure it's ok. 

I took my mom, too. She loves Loki and Tony. She was prepare for Loki to die, but she was hoping against hope that Tony would make it. As the credits rolled and most of audience sat there in stunned silence, I looked over to my mom and she said, "I'm shocked. I can't...I'm just shocked." I did have to remind her who Red Skull was because I nearly jumped out of my chair with that appearance. Wow, did not see that coming. And I was thinking like Gamora, Thanos never loved anyone. Uh, guess not? Damn, that was...yeah. I guess even twisted, sick, destructive love counts. 

I thought that was quite an achievement and it was a huge choice to end it like that. Damn. I wouldn't say it was bold or brave, but it definitely felt earned.

• Love 7
6 hours ago, Amethyst said:

There were scenes and clips that weren't shown in the film.  Clint was shown wearing some different uniform, but he's nowhere in the final cut. 

They filmed this and A4 at the same time, so I suspect that there are a lot of shots they showed that either aren't going to be used at all, or will show up in A4.  My speculation is that the pictures of Clint (dressed as Ronin) are all for A4 and that not all of his family survived Thanos' purge.  

If I'm remembering correctly, since this was Ultron... back after the Ultron fiasco, an incredulous Tony asked Steve how they were supposed to fight something like the devastation he experienced in his vision, Steve said "together".  

• Love 5

I do think Peter Quill lacked some nuance.   He can be an immature douche at times but he’s also a good man underneath it all and the writing leaned too much towards the immature.   Tony was right and the focus should have been getting the guantlet off.

I was really frustrated with Thor at the end.   When it was revealed his new weapon had an axe, I immediately thought Thor’s going to cut off Thanos arm at the key moment and save everyone.  I hate that Thor actually had the shot and went for the heart when getting the gaunlet off of Thanos should have been the priority.  I feel like Starlord and Thor made the same error putting a personal desire for vengence above what should have been the ultimate goal of seperating Thanos from the gauntlet.   Get the gauntlet first then kill Thanos.

I enjoyed it for the most part.  The ending really annoyed me because it required Thor to be stupid.  If they had to lose I just wish it had been because he didn’t get there in time not that he made it but acted like an idiot.  I’m not a fan of plot required stupidity.

Dr. Strange clearly believed that losing the battle was key to utimately winning the war.  I’m curious how it will play out but a reset has to happen.   

Thanos was a fascinating written villian.  He speaks of the most horrible things in this calm reasonable tone and really believes that he is saving life in the universe by eliminating half the population.   He’s a villian who sees himself  as the savior.   I hated him while at the same time found the character compelling.   He really lives up to the concept of the villian who sees himself as the hero. 

Edited by Luckylyn
  • Love 9