Type keyword(s) to search

S16.E14: Finale, Part 2

Drogo
  • Start Topic

4 hours ago, SuburbanHangSuite said:

Ayana really surprised me.  Her "modest" mantra kind of wore on my nerves all season but I was really impressed by her final collection.  Finale dress? GORG!  Well-done, Ayana.

I think the finale dress was a reminder to established designers that modest can be beautiful and that much of what they already do could classified as modest. Heck, a decent amount of Marchesa's hideous frippery could be made modest with slight alterations--adding a lining, extending a sleeve or a hemline, or raising a neckline. I think that's a great counterpoint to things like Dolce & Gabana's hijab and abaya line, which was a nice gesture, but a little patronizing.

http://www.cosmopolitan.com/style-beauty/news/a52535/muslim-women-respond-to-dolce-and-gabbana-hijabi-line/

4 hours ago, Boofish said:

I didn't think that bathing suit was very flattering on Margarita's model and I didn't get the standing ovation. Is there not an entire line of plus size swimwear at NYFW? I hated the way they patted themselves on the back the entire season because it featured "real women" (another phrase I also hate) After 16 seasons did someone finally whisper in their ear and say "you know clothes come in double digit sizes" and they all had an epiphany?

That was some self-congratulatory condescending nonsense. It was so clear that they thought they were heroes for not lighting their Birkins on fire, running her down, and screaming at her to put a muumuu on. Look at how enlightened we are. Yeah, you guys are fricking saints. It's a damn mitvzvah that they weren't wretching on to the runway.

In my opinion the best model ever on this show was the girl who wore Mychael Knights Pam Greer inspired looked. Can't remember her name but she set that runway on fire week after week. 

Nazri. This is why I don't mind hearing from the models now. More than a decade later and people still remember some of them. Nazri's pictures were good, but not great. Her walk, however, was killer.

3 hours ago, Pepper Mostly said:

What was Tim Gunn's advice to designers in years past? Something about making sure someone could get in and out of a taxi in your clothes? I defy anyone to climb into a cab in any of Brandon's outfits. One strap caught in a door and you'd go the way of Isadora Duncan.

I love this comment mostly because no one ever seems to remember Isadora Duncan.

Edited by HunterHunted
  • Love 20
1 hour ago, Michichick said:

I wonder if Margarita regrets helping Kentaro redo the order in which he planned to show his collection. Probably not, she wasn't going to win either way. But I wonder to what extent her assistance helped him seal the deal on his win.

It didn't look like either had a chance of winning based on the two look critique they had, though Kentaro could adjust his look more for the judges.  And she probably preferred him winning to the other two as he did do a runway style collection.  Ayana's collection looked inconsistent and Brandon was boring.

• Love 4
12 hours ago, HunterHunted said:

Seeing all of Margarita's collection, I was surprised to see how much it reminded me of Custo Barcelona or Desigual. I shouldn't have in hindsight.

I'm not surprised that Brandon was bounced. There wasn't a reprieve from that flamingo fabric and his Brandon flourishes. It was exhausting.

Kentaro's was structural and very editorial. I never considered that he'd be in the running because the collection is supposed to be adapted by JC Penney.

I really liked Ayana's more, but that's as a consumer. I would wear her stuff, but that's not really what the competition is supposed to be about.

The models have always been important to the show and during the Bravo seasons, we knew who they were--Nazri, Maralinda, Amanda, Camilla.

Heck, Heidi herself is a model. I have no problem hearing models' opinions. 

Has the venue for NYFW always been so low-rent! Bleacher seating???

• Love 5

Personally, I don't think Brandon was being smug. He seems to be restrained in displaying his emotions, especially during the competition, which, in my opinion, made both his smiling and laughing on Tim's visit, and the tears at the finale, seem shocking. I like his style and he does have, and will continue to have, a market. I liked the way he manipulated upholstery cottons and leather but I do agree that he could have shown at least a couple of other colorways. I would have loved to have seen one or two pieces in a saturated color. He did say, and I could see, that the layers could have been easily interchanged, and I do like that in a piece. There's nothing like blowing your budget on a statement piece that you can only wear once. 

All in all, I think he'll be more than fine.

Exuberance in color and sympathy for the hurricane pushed Margarita forward but as I really dislike her as a person, I'm glad she didn't win. I think her bitching in Spanish right in front of Claire was the last straw for me.

Kentaro's been hit and miss for me. I feel that, while he is talented, he's pretty much a dilettante who flits from one creative interest to another and may get bored again soon.

Ayana's ballgown was spectacular -- and I loved her headwraps. I wish she had talked about the birch tree inspiration for the shredded pants. That was so much more evocative to me than just shredded jeans and would have given more meaning to what could have seemed drab colors.

I'm not recording, nor will I watch the reunion show.

• Love 6
1 hour ago, calpurnia99 said:

I don't understand how one would wear Brandon's clothes. You can only stand there in them. Imagine trying to drive in one of his get-ups? Or even getting into a car or a seat at a restaurant with all those straps and crap of different lengths hanging off. 

I manage to get enough food on my clothes while dining out . . . don't need straps to drag through my plate.

• Love 12

Wow, so much activity in this thread!

I'm so happy Kentaro won - he's been such an absolute pleasure to watch this season. I would say that I loved maybe 1 to 3 looks from each designer's collection, but overall I liked Kentaro's the best. He really pulled it out for the runway show. Some of his pieces were so beautiful, like wearable art. The only thing that would have made it better is if his muse Meisha had gotten to walk for him! (I agree with everyone else who thinks that she rocks every single thing she wears!) I wonder if Meisha got to meet Kentaro's family? I bet that would have been adorable! 

Where was Tim Gunn at the end? Doesn't he usually congratulate the winner on the runway at the end of the show? (Sorry if this has already been answered above - I haven't had time to go through all the pages of posts.)

• Love 8
1 hour ago, 88Keys said:

I didn't mean to imply that Ayana was only there to make a statement.  She clearly has talent.  I'm kind of glad she didn't win, so no one can say "she only won because they wanted to make a statement in this current political climate" or something like that.  

My statement was in response to the several posters who did indeed suggest that Ayana would be given a win for PC reasons and that was the only reason she was in the top 4. She has way too much talent to be rudely dismissed in that way. I’m sure coming in 2nd will be the best for her in the long run. 

• Love 11
26 minutes ago, AZChristian said:

I manage to get enough food on my clothes while dining out . . . don't need straps to drag through my plate.

This whole strap discussion reminds me of an episode in fashion history. The early 20th century designer Paul Poiret developed the hobble skirt -- a long, tight, skirt that showed off the form but limited a woman's stride. It was universally hated. A few years later, he put his models in Turkish style pants and took them out to a public event. The models were yelled at for wearing men's clothing. A crowd of women tried to chase them -- but were hampered by the hobble skirts they were wearing....

Fashion changes. If it's something you want to wear, you deal with it.

• Love 13

I haven't had a chance to watch and I couldn't help myself to peek in here today. Color me shocked that Brandon lost. I did not see that coming much less my personal favorite, Kentaro, winning. He started off so strong in the beginning but sort of floundered middle to end. I was rooting for Ayana because I didn't think Kentaro would pull through. I'm very pleasantly surprised.

My co-worker and I have divided feelings about Brandon. She thinks he's awesome and all that, while I find his color palette monotonous and designs just blah. He's talented but its just not to my taste. She's gonna be shocked! Hee hee! We did agree about how much we liked Kentaro so in the end we'll both be happy about that. I'll get to gloat a little bit more that her pick did not win.

Can't wait to check out Heidi's dress you're all talking about.

Overall I enjoyed this season. Twin drama and all. It wasn't boring. Looking forward to the reunion.

• Love 6

Kentaro's win was exactly right.  Although I didn't like every look,, his was the only collection that read couture to me - and that put it in a different and justifiably winning category than anyone else's.

Ayana's last dress was spectacular and her headwraps were creative and pretty, but I HATE prairie dresses and wasn't all that impressed with most of her other looks, especially in that metallic palette.   She's talented and she pushed herself, and I think she'll have a very successful career.

Margarita's collection was fun, but it is definitely resort-wear, not much of anything original.

Brandon, what can I say.  Sweet guy stuck on one note (and not one that I like personally) whoshould have been critiqued early in the season to do something different.  His runway was drab, frumpy and repetitive.

Heidi, Heidi, Heidi - did you look in the mirror before you left the house?  OMG, what a horrific, tacky dress!

• Love 8
32 minutes ago, morakot said:

This whole strap discussion reminds me of an episode in fashion history. The early 20th century designer Paul Poiret developed the hobble skirt -- a long, tight, skirt that showed off the form but limited a woman's stride. It was universally hated. A few years later, he put his models in Turkish style pants and took them out to a public event. The models were yelled at for wearing men's clothing. A crowd of women tried to chase them -- but were hampered by the hobble skirts they were wearing....

Fashion changes. If it's something you want to wear, you deal with it.

And these are runway fashions. In ready-to-wear, the straps would be abbreviated.

I'm short, and not nearly as thin as I'd like--and I would definitely wear pieces from Brandon's collection, and that's the only collection I would wear anything from. Not a whole outfit, no, but then, that's how I deal with trendy fashion--I buy a few pieces and sprinkle it into my wardrobe, so I love that he had all those separates. And pieces that seem to be unstructured are more forgiving to normal-sized bodies than anything form-fitting.

As to modest fashion:

I appreciate that Ayana is trying to expand the wardrobes of those who wear modest clothing, but I didn't like anything at all in her collection, and I would never buy or wear any of them--and I'm an Orthodox Jew. Now, as I said in another thread, there's a wide range of what different segments of the Orthodox world wear, but those who belong to the more covered-up end of the spectrum would never, ever wear pants (men's clothing is out, and that end of the spectrum considers any pants men's clothing). And while it's nice to see long sleeves in fashion, ironically, Brandon's clothing is a lot less revealing than Ayana's, crop tops or no crop tops, and less-revealing is the Jewish definition of modest, not just how much skin is covered. Those Orthodox Jewish women looking for fashionable clothes (which is not all Orthodox women, but it's the only subset that would be looking at a designer's work)  WEAR FASHIONABLE CLOTHES. They put long-sleeved layering pieces under sleeveless tops, and add fabric to the hems of too-short skirts, but they don't want Little House on the Prairie ruffles or toddler smocks or hooped tulle lampshades--they want to wear what they see others wearing, adapted to suit their...our...standards.

• Love 9

Ive read most of the thread and haven't seen this mentioned----why was the show not held in Lincoln Center as every previous finale collection has? I missed the shot of the designers walking in front of the illuminated Lincoln Center letters and the big white elevated runway in the all black room. This venue seemed less grand. Was this really part of the true 'NY Fashion Week', or has PR's prestige slipped so far they are not part of the real shows anymore?

• Love 8
12 hours ago, Calamity Jane said:

My daughter has flat out refused to watch since Ashley's win, and she's the one who got me onto it way back in the Chloe season.  I didn't like that Ashley won, but apparently I'm addicted.  :-/  Overall I did like this season better than last, have to say.  

I've been thinking that all evening - they really did him such a disservice by never commenting on how repetitive he had become.   The only negative feedback I can remember him ever getting was last week about the top that was so awful on Liris.  They all but said he had it in the bag, and I can't be surprised at his belief that the win was already his.  I wasn't much of a fan of his look, but they gave him Gretchen-level praise every week.  Poor guy.  

I don't even remember anything about last season at all!  This one was interesting, Boring Brandon as the worst (to me) towards the end wasn't even that bad. The collections were compelling and each not only had a clear point of view, but they were all sewn and fitted correctly, which almost never happens on Project Runway. I found these more runway-ready as a whole then in any finale, including Jay Carroll's season. Project Runway stepped up their game as far as contestents went, while oddly dropping way down as far as sponsors. Avon and JCP, shaking my head.  I felt bad for them having to use plastic accessories and cheap makeup. 

• Love 6
6 hours ago, Brookside said:

Not sure why people think a trip to Japan is a bad prize for Kentaro. He lives in New York. I live on the west coast but grew up in the UK.  I'd love a free trip back "home".  Not to mention that presumably he can change the destination or cash in the tickets.

Kentaro lives in Los Angeles.

27 minutes ago, rereader2 said:

... ironically, Brandon's clothing is a lot less revealing than Ayana's, crop tops or no crop tops, and less-revealing is the Jewish definition of modest, not just how much skin is covered.

With all the side boob???? I thought a lot of Brandon's looks were wardrobe malfunctions waiting to happen (some of them looked like the malfunction had already happened).

• Love 3
4 hours ago, Michichick said:

That's so interesting that you call three of the four designers by name, but Ayana is referred to as "the head wrap woman."

I agree with your assessment of Yolanda. She was just toeing the show's thematic line with her comments.

Isn't not a common name but neither is Kentaro. I remembered his name but not her's. Not sure why. However I am not a fan of religions that treat men and women differently (repressing women imo). I don't think that is the reason I didn't remember her name but maybe it was an unconscious reason.

• Love 4

I'm always a sucker for a nice, funny, drama-free contestant winning regardless of their product. Kentaro was thoughtful and detail-oriented and his runway show was fantastic. Composing his own music was a great touch. And his family is adorable.

Although I agree that the judges changed their tune about Margarita's aesthetic, it's consistent with how they have behaved in the past. If a designer has an aesthetic they find tacky or makes them "question your taste level," the designer will either: 1)tone it down to the point their clothes are bland & unremarkable or 2)turn it up to 11 and get praised for being true to themselves.  Margarita went with option 2 to her benefit.

I have personal feelings about the collections but runway shows are not aimed at plebes like me so although I loved Margarita's color and movement, I understand how the other 3 shows were all superior from a "fashion" point of view. I felt a little for Brandon only because he had done what he liked all season to great praise, only to get dinged at the end. But it was really evident that his pieces could be great one at a time, but on a runway show you can't rely on subtle differences to make an impact when you use the same (questionable) fabric over and over.

• Love 2
2 hours ago, HunterHunted said:

I love this comment mostly because no one ever seems to remember Isadora Duncan.

Sadly, people pretty much only remember Isadora Duncan for the way she died, rather than the way she lived.

2 hours ago, AZChristian said:

Then you need the outfit Liris was wearing...comes with a built-in crumb catcher.

Now that we've flogged the plus size model "community" (Community?  Really?) and offered standing ovations for the mere act of not covering up thunder thighs (I can say that because I have them, too), it's time to break down an even bigger barrier in fashion--older models.  I want to see women my age walking down the Project Runway runway, and I don't want to hear that someone's clothes makes them look old.  Old people are old, not dead.  Clothes need to be flattering, not necessarily "young."

2 minutes ago, phantom said:

Although I agree that the judges changed their tune about Margarita's aesthetic, it's consistent with how they have behaved in the past.

I took their response to Margarita as their usual critiques in the finale.  It's the only time they go out of their way to be kind and even struggle for nice things to say, usually coming up with only enough negative comments to weed out the sewtestants who will be aufed.

• Love 17
20 minutes ago, carrps said:

With all the side boob???? I thought a lot of Brandon's looks were wardrobe malfunctions waiting to happen (some of them looked like the malfunction had already happened).

As I implied, if an Orthodox woman wanted to wear an outfit with a crop top or side boob, she'd put on a long-sleeved layering piece underneath--it is literally (in the actual meaning of the word) done by hundreds if not thousands of Orthodox women every day for tops with no sleeves or deep necklines. That's normal; my nieces dress that way and don't even think twice.

• Love 4
4 hours ago, Boofish said:

In my opinion the best model ever on this show was the girl who wore Mychael Knights Pam Greer inspired looked. Can't remember her name but she set that runway on fire week after week. 

I remember the outfit, but nothing at all about the model, so I guess I would have to disagree.  Honestly, I think this season's Meisha is the best and most memorable model that's ever been on the show.  She changed her whole walk and attitude depending on what she was wearing (in a really good way).

UO I know, but I think the bathing suit reveal was an amazing moment and pretty bold of Jazzmine.  How many of us try to cover up our thighs even at the beach, and here she is strutting them down the runway at NYFW as proud as could be.  I couldn't have done that in a billion years, and I'm half her size.  Good for her.

• Love 6
1 hour ago, Joan van Snark said:

Ive read most of the thread and haven't seen this mentioned----why was the show not held in Lincoln Center as every previous finale collection has? I missed the shot of the designers walking in front of the illuminated Lincoln Center letters and the big white elevated runway in the all black room. This venue seemed less grand. Was this really part of the true 'NY Fashion Week', or has PR's prestige slipped so far they are not part of the real shows anymore?

Here's one link that starts to explain why they aren't at Lincoln Center and haven't been for at least a year.

They're going to move part of it, again

Since its departure from Bryant Park in 2010, New York Fashion Week has struggled to find a stable home.

Following a five-year stint at Lincoln Center, which ended in 2015, shows have been held at two primary locations:

Vogue tells who's going to be where (Brooklyn) in more detail that I cared about And lists the houses that are dropping NYC and going to Paris.

• Love 1
1 minute ago, hoodooznoodooz said:

Actually, if worn with a long sleeved, long legged unitard, I think Brandon's clothing would work even better than Ayana's as "modest" clothing. Her clothing covers skin but still shows a lot of curves. 

Exactly!!

(I don't know that anyone needs to go to the length of a full on unitard, though--women going for "modest" would just skip the pieces that are too short and couldn't be easily lengthened.)

• Love 1

Thanks for that article explaining about the location of NYFW. I had totally forgotten about Bryant Park, but the setup of the runway looked the same to me whether at Bryant Park or Lincoln Center, so I really didnt notice a difference. However this year's show really took a nosedive. It really looked like some smaller fashion show rather than the big important NY stage.

• Love 2
50 minutes ago, rereader2 said:

As I implied, if an Orthodox woman wanted to wear an outfit with a crop top or side boob, she'd put on a long-sleeved layering piece underneath--it is literally (in the actual meaning of the word) done by hundreds if not thousands of Orthodox women every day for tops with no sleeves or deep necklines. That's normal; my nieces dress that way and don't even think twice.

Aw, I misread you. I thought you said you hated the look of long sleeves under other tops.

52 minutes ago, meowmommy said:

...it's time to break down an even bigger barrier in fashion--older models.  I want to see women my age walking down the Project Runway runway, and I don't want to hear that someone's clothes makes them look old.  Old people are old, not dead.  Clothes need to be flattering, not necessarily "young."

Older women aren't as easy to exploit as young girls.

• Love 6
54 minutes ago, phantom said:

I'm always a sucker for a nice, funny, drama-free contestant winning regardless of their product. Kentaro was thoughtful and detail-oriented and his runway show was fantastic. Composing his own music was a great touch. And his family is adorable.

Although I agree that the judges changed their tune about Margarita's aesthetic, it's consistent with how they have behaved in the past. If a designer has an aesthetic they find tacky or makes them "question your taste level," the designer will either: 1)tone it down to the point their clothes are bland & unremarkable or 2)turn it up to 11 and get praised for being true to themselves.  Margarita went with option 2 to her benefit.

I have personal feelings about the collections but runway shows are not aimed at plebes like me so although I loved Margarita's color and movement, I understand how the other 3 shows were all superior from a "fashion" point of view. I felt a little for Brandon only because he had done what he liked all season to great praise, only to get dinged at the end. But it was really evident that his pieces could be great one at a time, but on a runway show you can't rely on subtle differences to make an impact when you use the same (questionable) fabric over and over.

The judges changed their tune with Margarita when they said they didn't want her to go all out after having asked her to go all out before.  Judges have bias as much as anyone else and they made it clear they didn't want a colourful latin style (it reminded me of African style as well).  They liked Brandon all season with his more minimalist style but Kentaro just showed more flair with that in the final.  But either more classical or more flamboyant can both be runway ready and the judges begrudgingly admitted that Margarita did get a good response on the runway.

• Love 1
4 minutes ago, carrps said:

Aw, I misread you. I thought you said you hated the look of long sleeves under other tops.

I don't mind the look if it's done well, with good color pairing. I don't do for summer things, though, because I prefer not to layer in the heat. The young 'uns always insist they are perfectly comfortable when I ask, though!

• Love 2
1 minute ago, rereader2 said:

I don't mind the look if it's done well, with good color pairing. I don't do for summer things, though, because I prefer not to layer in the heat. The young 'uns always insist they are perfectly comfortable when I ask, though!

At that age, it's anything for fashion, right? :-)

• Love 3
4 hours ago, Tabbygirl521 said:

Heck, Heidi herself is a model. I have no problem hearing models' opinions. 

Models model.  Heidi is the perfect example of why some people should walk the runway and not be given an outlet for their not necessarily sophisticated opinions. 

Edited by Brookside
  • Love 7

I think Heidi tries too hard. She's a good looking woman, looks great for her age and appears to be genuinely nice. But this season she hardly wore anything that flattered. I am an older woman and refuse to join the polyester crowd and age appropriate is not something I say too often so my opinion of her isn't about that. It just that what she wears doesn't hold up to being stylish.

I am so over the gratuitous plus size thing. First, I think it should be sizes period. From size 0 to 600 lb Life size. Period. When I was a teen then young woman there used to be size JP (Junior Petite). We called them Junior Plenties but it simply meant you were shorter or shorter waisted. There were 8 Jps up to 16 Jps. Still, I was glad when they went away. It used to be that being proportioned was the thing no matter which side you were.

So I don't think the bathing suit flattered the model at all. She definitely isn't a LinkShe model. I just don't know about those judges.

I wish Ayana had won and I loved her colors. Not too fond of any of the designer's clothes, though. Them strings dangling and hanging looked real bothersome. But I can say that all of them, every last piece of all the designers were well made unlike some other finale instances. That is what I loved.

Edited by ethalfrida
  • Love 2

Kentaro is a cool guy and I am happy he won. I didn't like all of his pieces, and like others have said, I'm not sure he is all that serious about fashion or even has a particular point of view. I also like Brandon, and although I am too old to wear his pieces, I think he had the most original style of the final four. Runway pieces are not meant to be worn as is, so all the odd straps, or in other cases long hems, etc, don't bother me-they are for show, not wearing. Brandon chose a bad fabric, but when both Tim and the judges told him they loved it, how was he supposed to know otherwise. I was actually a bit annoyed at them showing Brandon napping. First off, the collections are supposed to be mostly done by the time they get back to NY, so there shouldn't be a lot to do unless you are like Kentaro and are making last minute outfits. Second, we don't know the context. Maybe he worked through lunch and then took a short nap, maybe he was awake all night from anxiety and crashed for a bit-we don't know and there was zero said about him being lazy before this. The whole point in this editing was for people to call him arrogant and be happy he didn't win.

I still am not quite understanding why Brandon didn't win. I didn't like his print and thought there was no wow, but the judges never asked him to do anything different. As far as wow pieces go: it used to be a regular thing to end the fashion shows with a fabulous wedding gown or something crazy. Most designers do not do that anymore and most of the shows are pretty much the same thing, meaning individual pieces might be wow but there is rarely actual showstoppers. Ayana was really the only one who had the wow, although Kentaro's pieces were couture enough for several of them to be called wow. I refuse to consider a normal thing like showing a normal size woman in a swimsuit a wow moment.

My other though is about cohesion. There are always different interpretations. If the judges mean the same woman would buy the whole collection, then almost none of the designers ever seen are cohesive. Most of the designers who show have very similar fabrics, shapes and pieces. I really think they mean the same type of woman would buy every piece which makes more sense. As far as them praising Margarita, by the time someone makes it to fashion week, the judges always try to find good things to say. It wouldn't make much sense for them to be only negative. I didn't care for most of Margarita's and thought Ayana had only a couple of pieces I liked. I think Ayana is very talented though and would like to see where she goes with her fashions.

• Love 3

Usually there's someone's collection where I think I would wear most of what they put out (or wish I could wear most of what they put out) but there weren't any collections like that for me this year. I might like a one or two of Ayana's or Margarita's pieces but that's about it.

To me, the other shows suffered by following Margarita. Her show was so colorful, exuberant and happy that everyone else looked somber and dull in comparison.

Brandon: He really should have had someone tell him to mix things up a bit. The judges did him no favors by telling him everything he did was amazing on it's own. Why would he need a "wow" piece when the judges keep telling him everything he does is "wow"? How could Tim give him guidance if the judges act like he fart rainbows? Well, ultimately it's on him for that horrible flamingo fabric. I had a dream a while back that I was wearing one of his outfits and trying to use the bathroom. The straps kept getting away from me and falling in the toilet. Is that TMI?

Kentaro: I can see why he won and I'm happy since I like him, but I didn't like any of his pieces.

Ayana: She had some nice things and I thought the prairie dresses didn't look as bad walking the runway as they did on the hangers.

Margarita: Her collection made me smile though I wouldn't wear most of it. I really don't know why, but I liked her second look, the yellow dress with fish on it. Objectively looking at it, I should really think "no way in hell" but for some odd reason I really dug it.

Liris: I was wondering why everyone seemed so enamored with her and seemed to put such stock in her opinion. I began wondering watching the show if she's some sort of advocate for plus sized models. I finally broke down and googled her. These articles are interesting:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-3059139/Size-18-woman-called-Naomi-Campbell-plus-size-modelling-industry-lands-major-fashion-campaigns-starring-role-Jay-Z-s-music-video.html

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/nbcblk/liris-crosse-full-figured-beauty-goes-full-throttle-project-runway-n797226

The first article is more than 2 years old, so it seems that, even though we're not familiar with her, she is well known in the industry. I also saw something saying she was in the final runway show for Ashley Neil Tipton so she's been on the show before.

• Love 3

What I find interesting is that many looked at Bhatani's audition and hoped she would use the African prints in her designs. She didn't commit to her prints and was eliminated early. Margarita had the same aesthetic and used it to inspire her to NYFW.

I must say that these 4 designers all came from a completely different point of view with their collections; there was no overlap or similarities whatsoever.

• Love 2
5 hours ago, SailorGirl said:

Um . . . Gilmore Girls came back, Will and Grace came back, Roseanne is coming back . .  . that's three off the top of my head. I"m sure there are others in the works . . . 

Yeah, and how successful were they?   Something like reality TV is even worse because a decade between the end and start of a reboot is beyond a lifetime.  We'll see what happens with AI, but ABC also tried to reboot The Gong Show" this year. There have been a few successful reboots, but do you think LIfetime or any other network is going to axe their #1 show because some people think the talent pool isn't as strong.   That's a ridiculous argument as is because there are thousands of graduates of design school every year and it's rather a matter of which designers try out and which are chosen.  

• Love 2

The producers never just put something in for no reason.  The writing was on the wall when Brandon's girlfriend told Tim she hated Brandon's print.  Mycheal Knight went into NYFW runway as the fair-haired designer.  With the restrictions of the challenges and working on teams with other designers, he was left to his own devices and he sent down 12 hootchie-mamas.

• Love 2
3 hours ago, amazingracefan said:

The Princess Diana remark wasn't that necessary for inclusion either really. 

I don't remember that remark.. what was it?

13 hours ago, nb360 said:

You have to give it to her -- Liris does know how to sell herself! I give her props for that! 

If you turn people completely off when selling yourself, then you are a failure at selling yourself.

13 hours ago, pinguina said:

He was just cocky about having it in the bag - hence the nap he took.  Even the other designers thought he had.  One of them even commented on why he could take a nap, because he was going to win.

I'll cut him some slack on taking a nap. If he didn't have any last minute work to do, or revisions to make (and why would he have revisions? He's never been told anything needed revising) he's probably dog tired. They all need sleep. They've probably all taken the occasional nap too; the editing monkeys just don't show it unless it plays into whatever narrative they are going for at the moment.

9 hours ago, Angeleyes said:

I give Ayana a pass on those so-called prairie dresses. Many well known designers showed similar dresses during Fashion Week. The ruffles and long dresses are going to be a trend next spring.

Oh gawd... just shoot me now. blech to ruffles, prairie dresses, and anything frump

7 hours ago, mwell345 said:

The  model taking off the skirt and proceeding down the runway was "a moment in fashion".  Seriously?

Heidi never fails to dress in a outfit that makes me wonder how she can even judge a fashion competition.  That purple  thing was no exception.

So Heidi makes underwear for men?  Thanks Zac.

The model taking off the skirt and reveling (gasp) CELLULITE! was a moment in fashion..

there.. fixed it for you. ;)

And speaking of moments that should have been edited... Zak showing his underwear was one I could do without

7 hours ago, Brookside said:

Not sure why people think a trip to Japan is a bad prize for Kentaro. He lives in New York. I live on the west coast but grew up in the UK.  I'd love a free trip back "home".  Not to mention that presumably he can change the destination or cash in the tickets.

I wonder if the prize was determined after the winner was chosen? Do they ever talk about the prizes in real time with the contestants present? It seems to me it's always an added voiceover to the broadcast.

• Love 3

Ayana's final gown was so heads and shoulders better than anything else in her collection that I think it hurt her.  She like Brandon suffered from bad fabric choices.  Brandon put together a bad show which caused his loss.  This competition was his to lose based on the season.  He would have done better if he had just taken his 10 best designs from the run of the show and put them together.  Same aesthetic throughout but a bit more variety in the overall look.  Margarita, was far too specific in her collection.  Loud tropical resort wear prints only work in the tropics.  She reminded me of Uli from season 3 where all her design descriptions started with, my girl's from Miami.  Kentaro had the best show in my opinion.  That first dress with the poofy tulle I could so easily picture someone wearing to the avant garde Met Ball then everything just moved so that you could appreciate each look.  I'm glad he won.  This is a time though, that I suspect each of the 4 finalists will have a career in their chosen areas.  

• Love 5
18 hours ago, SuprSuprElevated said:

If I were the judge:

4.  Kentaro

3.  Margarita

2.  Brandon

1.  Ayana

I've surprised myself, but if you were to throw the names in a clothes dryer, tumble them around, and pull out name after name, I'd probably be okay with whatever order they came out.  Pretty sure I'm firm on #4 though.  Sadly.

So glad you are not the judge. 

• Love 7
2 minutes ago, ChiefWiggum9-1-2 said:

The writing was on the wall when Brandon's girlfriend told Tim she hated Brandon's print. 

This woman is a walking speculation thread! She seems to have so much influence in Brandon's designs it seems she's bound to show up as a contestant soon.

• Love 1
29 minutes ago, RemoteControlFreak said:

Because he sent essentially 10 identical pieces down the runway.

There was something about Brandon that I really liked all season. Yes, he had a look, but I found his garments interesting and there were different silhouettes. I thought he was a lock. However, his final collection was boring. I liked his ombre idea, but not the execution. The clothes all looked too similar. Watching it, I was thinking "why did I like him so much." Then, they showed his winning looks from the whole season -- the things he made on the show were much more interesting than his collection, which looked completely one note. He had way too many repetitive details -- not just straps, but the loops, and the pantaloons, and the lengths of the garments all seemed the same. It was just boring, and his clothes, while in a lane, weren't boring to me. 

I was sure Margarita was going to win because it was the Margarita show last night. She practically narrated the whole thing.

• Love 7
9 hours ago, mwell345 said:

Congratulations Kentaro.  Enjoy your trip to....Japan!

Haha, good catch, I almost forgot about that. I wonder if Kentaro lives in LA or Japan. If he lives in LA, it is still a very worthy reward, maybe even more so because he can go see his family there.

• Love 2