Type keyword(s) to search

S16.E14: Finale, Part 2

Drogo
  • Start Topic

6 hours ago, Watt said:

Can I ask a kind of unrelated question? This forum is the only one these days I follow besides OUAT and I've never noticed the pink boxes around certain replies over there before. What's it mean? I'm on mobile if it matters.

If you get a lot of likes, the box changes color. I think green at 25, and pink at some larger number?

8 hours ago, Watt said:

Can I ask a kind of unrelated question? This forum is the only one these days I follow besides OUAT and I've never noticed the pink boxes around certain replies over there before. What's it mean? I'm on mobile if it matters.

25 or more Likes.

• Love 1
10 hours ago, BlackberryJam said:

In looking at Brandon's girlfriend's collection, she had the same problem as Brandon. As someone upthread mentioned, those were clothing lines and not runway collections. When I went back and looked at her show, everything had a sameness to it, although beautifully done, and not one show stopper. Brandon's collection had no wow moment, no breathtaking piece. I love his work. He's innovative and interesting and unusual and will go far. And it seems it cannot be repeated enough that the strapping and loops are for the runway versions and not the ready to wear versions, so their wearability isn't really a consideration when assessing his future.  I was sorry to see a young man who was by all accounts rather sweet sobbing and so heartbroken. 

Yep. Brandon forgot all about the putting on a show part of the runway. His looks were all too alike and the finishing piece was a big old nothing. When you look at the looks used by Margarita, Kentaro and Ayana to close out their shows, they were either the best works in the collection (Ayana and Margarita) or were incredibly dramatic. (Kentaro) When I look at Ayana's collection, I only like five of the ten looks, but one of them is the first look, one of them is the last. Kentaro's first and last looks aren't his best but they are dramatic in a way that hints at the rest of the collection. Margarita's first and last looks were her strongest by far.

Even if he couldn't make any changes to his collection, he didn't seem to spend any time thinking about how to best present each look. We saw Kentaro worry about order and Margarita chimed in, which suggests she was aware that order was important. Ayana's final look was enough to tell me she knew she needed to close her show with something big. Brandon never seemed to worry about it. Brandon opened his show with one of the two looks with that salmon fabric and then used the second look for the 9th slot. That needed to go last. He just didn't arrange the looks at all in a way that made any sort of sense. He's maybe not a dramatic sort of guy but the clothes being interesting and well made isn't enough. A fashion show has two components. Fashion isn't enough.

• Love 7
43 minutes ago, vibeology said:

Even if he couldn't make any changes to his collection, he didn't seem to spend any time thinking about how to best present each look. We saw Kentaro worry about order and Margarita chimed in, which suggests she was aware that order was important. Ayana's final look was enough to tell me she knew she needed to close her show with something big. Brandon never seemed to worry about it. Brandon opened his show with one of the two looks with that salmon fabric and then used the second look for the 9th slot. That needed to go last. He just didn't arrange the looks at all in a way that made any sort of sense. He's maybe not a dramatic sort of guy but the clothes being interesting and well made isn't enough. A fashion show has two components. Fashion isn't enough.

Yes. Brandon's looks didn't use the runway show to take the viewer on a fashion journey or tell some sort of story. Is he still in school? I watched that entire runway show that included his girlfriend, Dina, Academy of Art University. Every single one of those collections had the same problem. All of Brandon's looks were interchangeable pieces. He didn't have a big red carpet look, a swimwear piece, a wedding gown. That's not really what he's doing or what he wants to do, but that's what you use to tell a red carpet story.

• Love 4
18 hours ago, lilwhitelion said:

I finally watched the finale parts 1 and 2, after reading everything here first.  So, I noticed that although they never mentioned the hurricane's name, they placed the following words on the video when Tim visited Margarita in San Juan: "6 Weeks Before Hurricane Maria".  So, it's understandable that the viewers would think it was that hurricane (more destructive than Irma) which hit during NYFW.

All I could focus on was the mismatch in the sleeve lengths!

The neckline is crooked -- off to one side. Straighten out the neckline, and the sleeves will be even.

• Love 1
23 hours ago, unfashionable said:

Many people on this board are over 50. There are some great older models and shorter models too. If you're going to change things up, why just plus sized?

YES!

But then Nina would have to keep talking about the clothes being age-appropriate. And Heidi would bemoan the lack of slut-factor. (she'd say "not sexy" but we all know what she means)

Edited by slothgirl
  • Love 4
18 hours ago, Watt said:

those are posts with a large volume of likes/quotes

WTF, WTF, WTF?!!  I may be a lonely minority here, but Ayana should have won!  I was screaming at the TV in rage!  Ayana has shown that she can do anything:  beautiful dresses, sharp pants and jackets, "young" looks, gorgeous head wraps, and even avant garde, all while having a distinct point of view.  Kentaro was hit and miss the entire season!  He was on the bottom a few times even!  His runway show was well done, and I did love the atmospheric music, but hardly any of those clothes were wearable.  Yeah yeah, I know a runway show is supposed to be kind of out there, but his clothes were just as costumey in their own way as Margarita's were.  And can you see Kentaro designing for the JC Penney woman?  Nope, me neither.  Whereas Ayana would have nailed it.  Bad, bad call by the judges.

As for Brandon, he became too cocky and his show was boring, but I did feel bad seeing him so destroyed by the loss.  I think and hope he'll be fine.  Margarita's collection was like throwing a lot of prints and sequins at the wall and seeing what stuck, and I thought the judges were avoiding a hard critique by praising the "exuberance" of it.  I will give her this though:  the yellow caftan thing with the giant sequined fish on it actually worked on the runway.  

Ayana's final dress was one of the most gorgeous things I've ever seen in PR, and I've watched nearly all seasons.  She has it all, and I really hope some design house snaps her up.

Again, I may be a lonely minority, but I like hearing from the models and I enjoyed getting to know their personalities.

• Love 8

Maybe "America's Next Top Model" can be brought back.

Of the Final Four's styles, Brandon's men's wear (because, let's face it, after the tears he's done with women's wear), Margarita's tropical cruise attire, and Ayana's modest (I yield) clothing all have customer bases already. 

Not that they each couldn't use the prize, but Kentaro might have needed it most. But he was also rewarded for bringing the drama. His first runway outfit demanded the response, "What next?!"

Perhaps if Ayana had thought more about the fabrics and colors of #1--9....

Edited by LennieBriscoe
  • Love 1

I agree that Ayana showed some great pieces during the season, showed real growth in her work, is very talented and absolutely has a market for her work. Her problem was that her final collection was not good. The prints are horrible. The prairie dresses are overly flouncy, overly complicated and downright ugly. The print in looks 3, 6, and 7 looks like it belongs on Miss Havisham's couch. The shiny material in looks 2 and 3 was worse than unflattering. Although the judges found it boring, I want the tunic in look 5. It's totally in my personal wheelhouse. However, being Jam's jam doesn't make it fashion.

I had predicted Ayana as the winner based on the things you said. She did not win based on that collection. Had she done more of look 4, keeping the exclamation point of look 10, I think she would have had it.

• Love 8
8 hours ago, BlackberryJam said:

I agree that Ayana showed some great pieces during the season, showed real growth in her work, is very talented and absolutely has a market for her work. Her problem was that her final collection was not good. The prints are horrible. The prairie dresses are overly flouncy, overly complicated and downright ugly. The print in looks 3, 6, and 7 looks like it belongs on Miss Havisham's couch. The shiny material in looks 2 and 3 was worse than unflattering. Although the judges found it boring, I want the tunic in look 5. It's totally in my personal wheelhouse. However, being Jam's jam doesn't make it fashion.

I had predicted Ayana as the winner based on the things you said. She did not win based on that collection. Had she done more of look 4, keeping the exclamation point of look 10, I think she would have had it.

Well said, 'Jam.  I can't disagree with you about the unflattering shiny fabric and the not-runway-friendly prints.  I just think they should have judged Ayana on her entire season and her versatility, not only on the runway show.  But I am a mere couch potato who can barely sew a button on my blouses, so all I can do is scream impotently at the judges from my living room.

• Love 1
On ‎11‎/‎16‎/‎2017 at 10:49 PM, DHDancer said:

https://www.jcpenney.com/g/project-runway-women/N-bwo3xZ1z0llxt?cm_re=HP-DT-_-ZC1116-_-project-runway  Doesn't look to me that they have posted Kentaro stuff yet.  But I'm sure we will have a hard time recognizing it if/when they do...

VERY pleased that Kentaro won.  Was happily surprised that Brandon went out second (personally I thought Margarita's collection was way better than his)

I think the key word on the JCP website is "inspired" by Kentaro.  And they did not carry it off that well in my opinion.

16 hours ago, ArmoPrincess said:

One last comment. I sew myself and know how hard it is to realize a design from ideas in your head. For that reason, I try not to be hypocritical (well yeah - the twins bugged me). But who is Yolanda Hadid? Ive never heard of her, and her comments on the designs/designers were out of left field and disingenuous. Does she own Dixie cups? Help me.

She came to fame, for me, on Real Housewives of Beverly Hills. During her run on that show, we met her daughters Gigi and Bella. Both of them are now "famous" models and are at least partially sought after due to their social media following. 

On the show, Yolanda was shown to be very restrictive of Gigi's eating, encouraging her not to have a slice of her graduation cake for example. Or, on a phone call when Gigi said she wasn't feeling well Yolanda told her to "eat an almond."

• Love 2

I thought the results were pretty satisfying. All the designers were true to themselves, which makes it easier for them, I think, to accept not-winning. And we really did see four very distinct points of view.

Margarita - Exuberant, yes, and lots of fun, but I agree that it was ALL resort wear and not likely to win the top prize. I did love her story about being inspired by her parents' old couch.

Brandon - I was already over Brandon, with his sameness challenge after challenge, and wondered what I was missing when the judges kept praising him to the skies. I did think he got a bit smug near the end, but I can't deny I felt for him when he began weeping. I hope he's okay now.

Ayana - I love Ayana and everything about her - aesthetic, crafting skills, personality, her own looks - but I understand the second-place finish. They really aren't supposed to judge you on the totality of your work over the season, and her runway show was a little uneven. That being said, her last look was the single best piece on display that day. I also loved her adaptation of the hijabs. I agree that she'll do all right - she made good use of the platform the show gave her, and someone is sure to snatch her up. I hope to be able to buy her clothes one day. (On Etsy the ones that would flatter me are out of my budget.)

Kentaro - I like him so much as a person, but I thought he was very uneven throughout the season. However, when it came down to brass tacks, he totally delivered. It was the only true "Runway Show" among the four, startling and intriguing. I also love that the judges finally 'got' someone with a more Asian aesthetic (after most such designers were auf'd rather early in previous seasons).  

I also wondered why Tim was missing from the coronation. He usually comes out with champagne. 

• Love 6
On 11/16/2017 at 11:05 PM, cyberfruit said:

I was at JCP yesterday and was startled by all of the statement sleeves, shapeless outfits that exist out there.  That adapted Kentaro is hideous.  I think Ayana would've been a much, much better match for jcp and I guess I'm surprised that isn't factored into the win.

I found Brandon and Kentaro's fashions unwearable for the majority of society.  I know it's fashion; I know this show is supposed to be about risk taking and visionary thinkers, but both of their fashions were for the most part fashions that were so hard to wear unless you're a stick figure and if you're a stick figure, it makes you look like a box.

Ayana's on the other hand was modest and yet more form fitting, and much sexier.

Margarita's was an abomination.  I think her collection was the ugliest I've seen in PR history.  

I'm glad Brandon lost.  I feel like he was so one-note.  And he seemed so cocky midway through the season that I was so glad he lost.

Edited by sasha206
  • Love 2
On 11/21/2017 at 8:53 AM, EyesGlazed said:

WTF, WTF, WTF?!!  I may be a lonely minority here, but Ayana should have won!  I was screaming at the TV in rage!  Ayana has shown that she can do anything:  beautiful dresses, sharp pants and jackets, "young" looks, gorgeous head wraps, and even avant garde, all while having a distinct point of view.  Kentaro was hit and miss the entire season!  He was on the bottom a few times even!  His runway show was well done, and I did love the atmospheric music, but hardly any of those clothes were wearable.  Yeah yeah, I know a runway show is supposed to be kind of out there, but his clothes were just as costumey in their own way as Margarita's were.  And can you see Kentaro designing for the JC Penney woman?  Nope, me neither.  Whereas Ayana would have nailed it.  Bad, bad call by the judges.

As for Brandon, he became too cocky and his show was boring, but I did feel bad seeing him so destroyed by the loss.  I think and hope he'll be fine.  Margarita's collection was like throwing a lot of prints and sequins at the wall and seeing what stuck, and I thought the judges were avoiding a hard critique by praising the "exuberance" of it.  I will give her this though:  the yellow caftan thing with the giant sequined fish on it actually worked on the runway.  

Ayana's final dress was one of the most gorgeous things I've ever seen in PR, and I've watched nearly all seasons.  She has it all, and I really hope some design house snaps her up.

Again, I may be a lonely minority, but I like hearing from the models and I enjoyed getting to know their personalities.

OMG. I was on the fence about Ayana and modest clothing and yeah, like the judges couldn't instantly tell what was hers during their "anonymous" runway each week, BUT that wedding dress was fucking EXQUISITE. I loved it so, so, so much and rewound the view of it more times than would seem normal. It literally took my breath away. If I were getting married and not Muslim I still desperately would want it. In the end, though, I was okay as long as that woman and Brandon or whatever his name is didn't win. Plus the show winner isn't always the winner in life and that wedding dress is going to give millions of women life. So, so, so beautiful!

• Love 3
On 11/18/2017 at 7:04 PM, gingerormaryann said:

Watching the runway again, this time I was struck by how well integrated the plus size models were in Kentaro's show as opposed to the others.  He had, I believe, only three, but he respected them so much and tailored them so correctly that it was hard to determine who the plus sizes were.  The only obvious one was model #5 who was wearing his black pleated sheer skirt.  She has very poor posture and her slouched upper body accentuated her weight and broadened her midsection.  On the other hand, model #9 was wearing a slip dress that, for me, was a total win.  Because it was an oversized garment, the possibility of it looking like a nightgown or a muu-muu was strong but the draping was so perfect that she looked Red Carpet ready.  That is something I would have loved to see Liris wear.

news-00115526-project-runway-season-16-finale-03.jpg

When she was walking down the runway, I didn't even see how slouchy the model in the beige dress with sheer black pleated skirt was. I loved that look, in fact. And the first look/

• Love 1
On 11/17/2017 at 10:39 PM, Jazzhands said:

I’m glad Kentaro won. I loved Ayana’s final dress, but I thought her first three looks were terrible. I found Brandon’s looks boring — it’s the same thing we’ve been seeing all season. As for Margarita’s looks, most of them seemed like things you can buy off the rack at “upscale” boutiques all over south Florida.

As much as I enjoy watching the show, I think it’s time to pull the plug. If the best sponsor the show can get is JCPenney, well ... they sell reasonably priced clothing for regular people. There’s nothing wrong with it, but it’s not fashion. I’ll eat my hat if either Heidi Klum or Nina Garcia has stepped foot in a JCPenney store other than in connection with a product-placement challenge on this show, let alone have any JCPenney clothing in their closets.

I agree. They need to go back to Bravo! All of this Avon and Mary Kay and JC Penney? No offense but it is way to quotidienne and just needs to stop. Target or H&M or Zara would have been better. But they seriously need to aim more upscale.

• Love 3
On ‎11‎/‎24‎/‎2017 at 9:08 AM, sasha206 said:

I was at JCP yesterday and was startled by all of the statement sleeves, shapeless outfits that exist out there.  That adapted Kentaro is hideous.  I think Ayana would've been a much, much better match for jcp and I guess I'm surprised that isn't factored into the win.

I found Brandon and Kentaro's fashions unwearable for the majority of society.  I know it's fashion; I know this show is supposed to be about risk taking and visionary thinkers, but both of their fashions were for the most part fashions that were so hard to wear unless you're a stick figure and if you're a stick figure, it makes you look like a box.

Ayana's on the other hand was modest and yet more form fitting, and much sexier.

Margarita's was an abomination.  I think her collection was the ugliest I've seen in PR history.  

I'm glad Brandon lost.  I feel like he was so one-note.  And he seemed so cocky midway through the season that I was so glad he lost.

I agree with your post for sure.  Except Margarita's......  She did a couple of good pieces during the season, but her runway show style was not for most people so it was very limiting.    Plus her attitude and whining got on my nerves.     Regarding hers being the ugliest---- I believe that title should go to Gretchen or Ashley, take your pick.

• Love 2
9 hours ago, oceanview said:

I agree with your post for sure.  Except Margarita's......  She did a couple of good pieces during the season, but her runway show style was not for most people so it was very limiting.    Plus her attitude and whining got on my nerves.     Regarding hers being the ugliest---- I believe that title should go to Gretchen or Ashley, take your pick.

Margarita's definitely had some beauty, it was great to see some colour on the runway and trying to create runway moments.  They edited an awful lot of false reaction shots in the season and I think Kenya whined by far the most of the designers, Brandon sounded the most arrogant.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, morakot said:

Maybe it's his affect, but I don't think Brandon was arrogant. I think he was misled and set up to have a dramatic loss.

I hope it's just that he's young, because if he can say of his collection that "It shows variety" he is currently delusional.

Ayana, there is nothing modest about unsupported breasts.

On ‎11‎/‎23‎/‎2017 at 10:36 PM, TudorQueen said:

I thought the results were pretty satisfying. All the designers were true to themselves, which makes it easier for them, I think, to accept not-winning. And we really did see four very distinct points of view.

Margarita - Exuberant, yes, and lots of fun, but I agree that it was ALL resort wear and not likely to win the top prize. I did love her story about being inspired by her parents' old couch.

Brandon - I was already over Brandon, with his sameness challenge after challenge, and wondered what I was missing when the judges kept praising him to the skies. I did think he got a bit smug near the end, but I can't deny I felt for him when he began weeping. I hope he's okay now.

Ayana - I love Ayana and everything about her - aesthetic, crafting skills, personality, her own looks - but I understand the second-place finish. They really aren't supposed to judge you on the totality of your work over the season, and her runway show was a little uneven. That being said, her last look was the single best piece on display that day. I also loved her adaptation of the hijabs. I agree that she'll do all right - she made good use of the platform the show gave her, and someone is sure to snatch her up. I hope to be able to buy her clothes one day. (On Etsy the ones that would flatter me are out of my budget.)

Kentaro - I like him so much as a person, but I thought he was very uneven throughout the season. However, when it came down to brass tacks, he totally delivered. It was the only true "Runway Show" among the four, startling and intriguing. I also love that the judges finally 'got' someone with a more Asian aesthetic (after most such designers were auf'd rather early in previous seasons).  

I also wondered why Tim was missing from the coronation. He usually comes out with champagne. 

Didn't you listen to that long interview of Tim's? He railed against the judges and actually hates ZACK with a passion! If you need it, I'll look for it! ANYONE else? He went into his personal life, the show, and how he feels about the whole production! He was quite candid for someone who had so much to say about his co-cast members! It runs almost an hour & a half! ;-)

Update: Came across the podcast and giving it to others who might find it interesting:  - - https://www.reallyfamouspodcast.com/tim-gunn/ - -

Interview Highlights:

What he REALLY thinks about the Project Runway judges

Why gifts make him cringe

What's hiding in his closet

Who he just unfollowed on Facebook

His mother

How he feels about being single

What he does about stalkers

TV shows he's addicted to

Thoughts on athleisure & plus-size clothing

A prediction about Donald Trump

Details on his meeting Michelle Obama