Type keyword(s) to search

S16.E14: Finale, Part 2

Drogo
  • Start Topic

13 minutes ago, Blndee6 said:

Agree with everything you said. I hadn’t picked up on Tim not being crazy about Kentaro’s work earlier in the competition but it seemed like Tim was pretty irritated when Kentaro pushed back on Tim’s critique during the home visit on how K’s collection was not cohesive. When Tim was trying to explain the issue to him, didn’t Kentaro say something to the effect of ‘but I don’t want people to be bored [when they look at my collection]?’ (I wasn’t sure K ever truly understood completely what Tim and the judges meant by ‘cohesion.’ When K added that dress he made at the last minute which he thought would add the ‘cohesion’ the judges were looking for, it ended up being criticized as the weakest garment in his collection..)

Anyway, maybe the combination of Tim’s (1) disappointment that Kenya was eliminated instead of Kentaro, (2) soft spot for Margarita, (3) confusion/shock/non-appreciation for Kentaro’s dead cat inspiration for his somber music and (4) K’s open disagreement with Tim on striving for deliberate cohesion - made it hard for Tim to show much enthusiasm for K’s win. I think Tim and a lot of (most?) others thought it was obvious K was going to be vying with Margarita for 3rd or 4th place behind Brandon and Ayana. And then the judges ended up loving the very things about Kentaro’s collection Tim didn’t- the non-cohesiveness, the eerie music, etc. and not showing anywhere the near same love for Margarita’s collection that Tim did..

This season it seemed like there were more instances of Tim being  out of tune with the judges and as a result giving some of the designers bad advice that backfired on them. So not as helpful a mentor as in the past. Kentaro rejected most of Tim’s advice at the end and followed his own instincts with his collection, and in so doing ended up sneaking up from behind and out shining the two established favorites as well as Tim’s pet Margarita. Kentaro showed that yet again- and this time when it counted most-Tim was out of sync with the judges on K’s unexpected appeal. Tim just didn’t get Kentaro.

I think by the end Tim was disgusted by how it all panned out so no big congratulatory hugs for Kentaro. Tim was probably more focused on consoling Margarita (and maybe poor weepy devastated Brandon..). I’m curious to see what public statements Tim will make (or has he already?) about the outcome of this season. Surely he won’t slam sweet Kentaro as much as he did Ashley since even if Kentaro wasn’t his favorite, at least he was/is is obviously more talented than her..? 

I cant wait for the reunion. Let the mob attack on the Indeed Sisters commence!

Love your post. Great analysis!

• Love 3

Tim Gunn didn't like Ashley winning, so he's not always in step with the judges.  And I'd hardly say Margareta was his pet.  Kentaro did put some very subpar stuff out during the final rounds of this competition.  Early on Tim seemed perfectly happy with Kentaro, calling him part of the dream team with Brandon.  I think he did tire of Brandon's repetitiveness, but he's hardly alone in that.  I don't really take the whole Kentaro cat story/Tim's reaction that seriously.

Edited by amazingracefan
  • Love 12

This was the most interesting quote to me from that Entertainment interview with Kentaro:

You were very close to Brandon, so close you guys called each other brothers. Was it hard competing against him in the finale?
He would ask me things like, “What do you think? What should I do?” I always tried to give him my best opinion to help. Whatever Brandon does is whatever Brandon does. It’s nothing that I would do, so I just wanted him to do the best. I wasn’t really having any competing feelings toward Brandon. I wanted him to do well.

Who influenced whom?

• Love 14

From the Lifetime website:

The winner of “Project Runway” will receive $100,000 to launch their line, and the opportunity to collaborate with JCPenney on a limited edition capsule collection as part of the “Project Runway” line sold at select JCPenney stores and online at http://www.jcp.com. In addition, the winner will receive a selection of Brother sewing and embroidery machines, with a retail value of $40,000; a lifetime supply of pens from the Pilot FriXion Erasable Pen, the official pen of “Project Runway” and an all-expense paid luxury trip to Japan, including a 5-star stay near Japan’s fashion center. The prize package also includes the new 2018 Lexus NX, coming this fall, with advance innovation and safety systems standard. Additionally, the winning designer and model will receive a fashion spread in Marie Claire magazine.

• Love 6
On 11/17/2017 at 0:34 PM, Brookside said:

Models model.  Heidi is the perfect example of why some people should walk the runway and not be given an outlet for their not necessarily sophisticated opinions. 

Models interact with all kinds of designers and clothing makers, and have vast experience wearing all kinds of clothes. I like hearing their viewpoints. 

• Love 8

I hope Miesha wins the model competitive. I am one who never thought about the models' walk or understood much about them being "walking hangers" but after seeing Meisha modeling the gray pants/jacket outfit from Ayana and the one who did it on the runway show, I could see the different. Meisha sold that outfit and made it look cool. The other model made it look lumpy. What a difference!

• Love 9
23 minutes ago, Tabbygirl521 said:

Models interact with all kinds of designers and clothing makers, and have vast experience wearing all kinds of clothes. I like hearing their viewpoints. 

I remember S1's Wedding Challenge where the models were the clients.  Jay said that the designers agreed that these models are zipped in and out of clothes all day long but they are clueless when it comes to fashion.  Instead of aspiring towards Vogue or Elle, he said they were wanting to become Disney cartoons.  The closer the designers stuck to the models' vision, the closer they were to the bottom.  Remember Austin Scarlett's train, which resembled entrails?

The two seasons or so of the Models spin off was enough.  Personally, I don't need to hear their opinions on the designs.

I do wish we were privy to how the models were paired with the designers.  Christina was the only other model in the final group with a win yet she was paired with Kenya.  If he had the choice, Kentaro absolutely would have chosen Meisha.  I don't think Brandon would have ever chosen Liris.  For Kentaro, being paired with Sanita was not a bad thing because her fair skin and coloring (the only light haired model remaining) was perfect for his peach pleat/origami gown.  However, can you imagine Meisha rocking that final look of his, which would have been perfect for her coloring.

Edited by gingerormaryann
  • Love 10

Am I the only one who things there were some timeline shenanigans?  According to the NYFW website -- and even some signs you could see on-screen! -- NYFW was September 7th to 13th.  According to Wunderground, Hurricane Maria didn't even become tropical storm until the 16th and a hurricane on the 17th and was still well away from Puerto Rico at that point.  It made landfall on Puerto Rico on the 20th.

So Margarita's expressions of concern don't make sense relative to the timeline.  Is the Project Runway show no longer during actual NYFW anymore?

Edited by QuantumMechanic
  • Love 1
14 minutes ago, QuantumMechanic said:

Am I the only one who things there were some timeline shenanigans?  According to the NYFW website -- and even some signs you could see on-screen! -- NYFW was September 7th to 13th.  According to Wunderground, Hurricane Maria didn't even become tropical storm until the 16th and a hurricane on the 17th and was still well away from Puerto Rico at that point.  It made landfall on Puerto Rico on the 20th.

interesting research!

• Love 2
19 minutes ago, QuantumMechanic said:

So Margarita's expressions of concern don't make sense relative to the timeline.  Is the Project Runway show no longer during actual NYFW anymore?

Hurricane Irma. Puerto Rico has been hit by two hurricanes this year. 

• Love 13
26 minutes ago, QuantumMechanic said:

It was Irma, not Maria. Irma sideswiped PR on the seventh  (and knocked out power in some places, including San Juan). They never mentioned the hurricane's name.

ETA: The runway show was on Sept. 8th.

Edited by Luciano
  • Love 6
24 minutes ago, QuantumMechanic said:

An article on the USA Today website references (on September 8th), "the Project Runway Season 16 finale taping Friday at New York Fashion Week."  The would put the taping on September 10th.  Must have been - as some stated - the earlier hurricane.  

Edited by AZChristian
Other posts explained date issue.
  • Love 3

I feel like Margarita stated a few times during the competition that she finally "found her voice" as a designer. Once I know for sure was the challenge when she made the Wonder Woman dress. Her collection looked nothing like when she "found her voice." She just went back to her wheelhouse. 

• Love 2

Watching the runway again, this time I was struck by how well integrated the plus size models were in Kentaro's show as opposed to the others.  He had, I believe, only three, but he respected them so much and tailored them so correctly that it was hard to determine who the plus sizes were.  The only obvious one was model #5 who was wearing his black pleated sheer skirt.  She has very poor posture and her slouched upper body accentuated her weight and broadened her midsection.  On the other hand, model #9 was wearing a slip dress that, for me, was a total win.  Because it was an oversized garment, the possibility of it looking like a nightgown or a muu-muu was strong but the draping was so perfect that she looked Red Carpet ready.  That is something I would have loved to see Liris wear.

news-00115526-project-runway-season-16-finale-03.jpg

• Love 15
On 11/16/2017 at 10:41 PM, Nidratime said:

I was so happy. I think that Kentaro will be a designer of the type that will ultimately be celebrated. He makes statement pieces as well as things an everyday woman might wear with some adaptation. Plus, I think he is willing to learn and open up to other opinions and views, while maintaining his vision. We saw it on the show so I suspect he'll be able to adapt to the point of view of the strong personalities of red carpets and other high end events.

ITA.  It was nice to see someone other than the "darling" of the season win.  I can't put my finger on it exactly, but there is something about Kentaro that reminds of Christian Siriano.  I don't see fame going to Kentaro's head and feel that he has the talent and flexibilty to design clothing that can be editorial but also has the ability to "dial" it down and create ready to wear.  Although I'm not feeling Kentaro's JCP collection, something definitely was "lost" in translation and it looks very cheap.  Think the only reason he's did "designs" for them is becase JCP was the "main" sponsor this season.  Just another sign that PR has jumped the shark.

Not sure who PR will find next season to be their "corporate sponsor.  Could we possibly see a Walmart challenge in the future?  Will the models keep getting their hair and makeup done in the PR  "generic" hair salon?  Perhaps next season the Liquidation Channel will be sponsoring jewelry/accessories. "Use them wisely......."

I'm happy with this season's outcome, but did not enjoy the constant behind the scenes "drama" (the twins were unbearable, really dragged the show down). I don't understand why the producers feel its necessary to bring 'characters you love to hate' into the story line.  They were headed down the right path until they 'let' Margarita in to the finale.  (I was so sure she was going to get the sympathy win until I heard Nina snark on the feather trim on the hem of her pants).   While I liked some of her clothing - I couldn't see anyone wearing her clothing for anything else than resort wear.  Yes, I know you're from Puerto Rico and you feel like you have to bring that "vibe" to all of your designs.  However we didn't see Kentaro design only kimono's and he grew up in Japan.

P.S and BTW Heidi  it's time to quit showing your sagging "boobies".  I felt embarrassed (and we almost saw her "bare ass") seeing her in that dress.  If she's going to continue flaunting her boobies, she really needs to visit her plastic surgeon and get them "refreshed".  The dress did nothing for them except make them look saggy and sad.  

Edited by zoemom
  • Love 3
5 hours ago, latetotheparty said:

I hope not. She was obnoxious. 

Sanita did say a few things that were not kind. But sometimes I thought that her accent made things sound funny. I hope that doesn't come across as condescending; I don't mean it that way at all. I think she was the one who said, after learning that she would be Claire's model, "Claire was on the bottom last time. So this time I hope ... she is not on the bottom." It made me laugh, because it was the most diplomatic way to state her anxiety.

• Love 3
2 hours ago, AZChristian said:

An article on the USA Today website references (on September 8th), "the Project Runway Season 16 finale taping Friday at New York Fashion Week."  The would put the taping on September 10th.  Must have been - as some stated - the earlier hurricane.  

Hurricane Irma passed just north of Puerto Rico on September 7. At that time, it was a Category 5 storm and caused extensive damage, knocking out power to over 1 million people. 

1 hour ago, zoemom said:

ITA.  It was nice to see someone other than the "darling" of the season win.  I can't put my finger on it exactly, but there is something about Kentaro that reminds of Christian Siriano.  I don't see fame going to Kentaro's head and feel that he has the talent and flexibilty to design clothing that can be editorial but also has the ability to "dial" it down and create ready to wear.  Although I'm not feeling Kentaro's JCP collection, something definitely was "lost" in translation and it looks very cheap.  Think the only reason he's did "designs" for them is becase JCP was the "main" sponsor this season.  Just another sign that PR has jumped the shark.

P.S and BTW Heidi  it's time to quit showing your sagging "boobies".  I felt embarrassed (and we almost saw her "bare ass") seeing her in that dress.  If she's going to continue flaunting her boobies, she really needs to visit her plastic surgeon and get them "refreshed".  The dress did nothing for them except make them look saggy and sad.  

Not directed at you personally but this comment is reflective of a double standard that I struggle with. Why is it cool to tear apart Heidi's "saggy boobs" or ass on display but cheer for the "plus size" model's same less-than-perfect features being flaunted? Can turning the traditional standard of beauty on its head be done while still respecting all representations of beauty? I just dont see why it is open season to attack the skinny models/celebs perceived flaws.

I agree with the comparison of Kentaro to Christian Siriano (whose finale collection was one of my top 3 in PR history). I don't know if he has the same drive or business acumen but he has the talent to be a bonafide fashion brand and dress celebrities if he does.

Re: Tim's absence, I like to think he's proud of all of them but in the off chance he's upset about this win, whatevs. After that gong show Tim had to find the next mentor with Mondo et al. his opinion or approval doesn't quite carry the same weight with me.

• Love 18
10 hours ago, anonymiss said:

Not directed at you personally but this comment is reflective of a double standard that I struggle with. Why is it cool to tear apart Heidi's "saggy boobs" or ass on display but cheer for the "plus size" model's same less-than-perfect features being flaunted? Can turning the traditional standard of beauty on its head be done while still respecting all representations of beauty? I just dont see why it is open season to attack the skinny models/celebs perceived flaws.

Anonymiss I don't take your comments personally and apolgize if you found my comments offensive. 

As a substanly large, plus sized woman, I've been subjected to "fat shaming" by many (skinny and 'normal' sized people) for most of my life.  I'm well aware of society's double standards, as I live with them daily.   I'm not cheering for plus sized woman either because in my eyes Liris and the other models aren't really plus sized.  In NYC 'plus size' is anyone that's larger than size 6.  Is that realistic standard for most people?  Nope, but when you're inundated daily with images of ultra thin women on TV, magazines (and for two of the four finalists on the PR runway), your subconscious begins to accept this as what is "normal" and even something to aspire to.   

It's difficult for me to find clothing that fits my body.  Most "fashionable or designer" clothing stops at a size 10 or maybe a 12 (but that's rare) and still that's too small for me. 

Regardimg my comment about Heidi, I was just snarking on her.  I think Heidi is a beautiful woman, but as mentioned upthread, I wish she would embrace her age instead of dressing (IMO) like a teenager trying to shock their parents by wearing something too short or with plunging necklines.  I found it ironic that she wore that dress that was such a contrast to Ayana's modesty collection.

That's all,, We certainly can agree to disagree. : )

Edited by zoemom
punctuation
  • Love 7

My awards would have gone:

4th: Brandon -- total snooze-fest

3rd : Kentaro --In addition to what I posted below, his collection was too out there, from that hideous first piece, through the giant upside-down poppy and all the rest.  Blech

2nd: Margerita -- I liked her clothes and she definitely made a statement!  And, from what I've seen, we still do need those "runways moments"!

WINNER: Anaya -- for some reason her muted palette didn't bother me, and I liked how "modest" didn't mean hiding the curves.  And her last piece was the best thing all season.  She should have won just for that.

On 11/17/2017 at 1:31 PM, slothgirl said:

I don't remember that remark.. what was it?

If you turn people completely off when selling yourself, then you are a failure at selling yourself.

I'll cut him some slack on taking a nap. If he didn't have any last minute work to do, or revisions to make (and why would he have revisions? He's never been told anything needed revising) he's probably dog tired. They all need sleep. They've probably all taken the occasional nap too; the editing monkeys just don't show it unless it plays into whatever narrative they are going for at the moment.

Oh gawd... just shoot me now. blech to ruffles, prairie dresses, and anything frump

The model taking off the skirt and reveling (gasp) CELLULITE! was a moment in fashion..

there.. fixed it for you. ;)

And speaking of moments that should have been edited... Zak showing his underwear was one I could do without

I wonder if the prize was determined after the winner was chosen? Do they ever talk about the prizes in real time with the contestants present? It seems to me it's always an added voiceover to the broadcast.

6 hours ago, gingerormaryann said:

Watching the runway again, this time I was struck by how well integrated the plus size models were in Kentaro's show as opposed to the others.  He had, I believe, only three, but he respected them so much and tailored them so correctly that it was hard to determine who the plus sizes were.

news-00115526-project-runway-season-16-finale-03.jpg

Look again at the faces, arms and legs.  Not one of those models are plus-size like Liris or Jazzmine. 

I can't credit him with his win, because the show cheated for him.  All season long, he's had a problem designing for plus-sized models.  Guess who was absent from his collection?  He didn't have a model that would look out of place in a 1980's Fashion Week.  "Skinny Teens" is the word I'd use to describe his models.

He's a nice guy and all that, but his win thoroughly discredited the "plus-size models: hurrah!!!" line the show kept pushing.

As for not liking what Liris was selling, my wife loved it!  She's a plus-sized black woman, so may be more Liris' target audience than others are.

• Love 3
On 11/17/2017 at 6:20 PM, gingerormaryann said:

Kentaro's interview in Entertainment Weekly.  Overall, it's a scream.  Kentaro weighs in on Brandon as well as the Twins (he liked them as people).  He said he saw several people go home with tape measures around their necks.  He felt that women can look at their clothes at the apartment but men can't so maybe everyone should be naked.  Best observation:  When he found out the winner got a trip to Japan, he said he preferred a trip to the Grand Canyon.

http://ew.com/tv/2017/11/17/project-runway-season-16-winner/

I don't understand how looking at clothes is an advantage, unless you're making exact replicas of your clothes.  And even then I think I could hold a picture in my mind of this item I adore so much I'm willing to make a copy of it on a design challenge.   

Of course, I had the same question about the twin cheating.  What could possibly be so unique about a tank top you'd need to measure part of it in your apt.?  Unless you're being graded on making an exact duplicate including the proportions...?

On 11/17/2017 at 8:36 PM, Tony said:

Nor did I say she was. 

But she did kindly provide them with so much sad face footage when they had the cameras pointing at her.

I'm sure they all four had the cameras pointing at them for all kinds of footage that didn't make the edit.  

How would crying about the PR weather in a confessional help her win anyway?  It's not like the judges pick a winner from the broadcast show.  I doubt they bother watching the confessional footage while the show is being created.

I'm happy Kentaro won.  I think his was the best but it's not saying much.  I do feel from Brandon.  I agree with what others have said that he would have benefited from constructive criticism.  How many times in the past have we heard Nina complain "we've seen this before from you" yet every time he was praised for something that looked almost identical to what he had done previously.

How could Tim have criticized the color palette of one designer but say nothing about Brandon's?  

It was almost cruel how they set him up to fail.

• Love 6

Brandon failed himself, he wasn't set up.  He had the best edit of the season as we were told every week he was a genius and Mr Perfect/Charming.  If he let that go to his head I think it's his fault.  And even with not winning he got so many plaudits in the edit I wonder how much that matters, assuming people buy into all that praise.

Edited by amazingracefan
  • Love 2
11 hours ago, jhlipton said:

Look again at the faces, arms and legs.  Not one of those models are plus-size like Liris or Jazzmine. 

I can't credit him with his win, because the show cheated for him.  All season long, he's had a problem designing for plus-sized models.  Guess who was absent from his collection?  He didn't have a model that would look out of place in a 1980's Fashion Week.  "Skinny Teens" is the word I'd use to describe his models.

He's a nice guy and all that, but his win thoroughly discredited the "plus-size models: hurrah!!!" line the show kept pushing.

As for not liking what Liris was selling, my wife loved it!  She's a plus-sized black woman, so may be more Liris' target audience than others are.

They are definitely plus size and I think at least two appeared on PR.  Liris and Jazzmine carry their weight in their lower bodies, which is definitely different from the Caucasian plus size models and created a different illusion.   Because the proportions are different, it makes the concept of a fitted piece more tricky.  For years, African American women have been complaining that the fashion industry does not design for their body types and in this plus size season, you saw it exaggerated.  If you were to put all the PR plus size models on a scale, I think the weight differences would be very slight.  Both Liris and Jazzmine would have looked great in his white draped piece. If we're at the point of "she's more plus size than her", you know the show's concept has arrived.

Kentaro did a great job in the nightgown challenge for Liris so he clearly didn't have a problem there.

Liris reminds me of Star Jones, in looks and attitude.

pr16-ep4-kk-final.jpg

Edited by gingerormaryann
  • Love 6
On 11/17/2017 at 8:20 PM, gingerormaryann said:

Kentaro's interview in Entertainment Weekly.  Overall, it's a scream.  Kentaro weighs in on Brandon as well as the Twins (he liked them as people).  He said he saw several people go home with tape measures around their necks.  He felt that women can look at their clothes at the apartment but men can't so maybe everyone should be naked.  Best observation:  When he found out the winner got a trip to Japan, he said he preferred a trip to the Grand Canyon.

Thank you for sharing the interview.  Simply find him so incredibly likeable.

Cannot help but laugh that Kentaro calls out the problems with the parameters of the competitions exactly as I did -- down to enumerating his obstacles in the Dixie cup challenge exactly the way I did in the thread on that episode.  Oh how I hope production reads the article and finds the truth in his comments and approach the outline of future challenges with that in mind. 

I want to know, did the HK line for men pay a promotional fee for the obvious placement in this week's episode?  Had to be an all-time low moment for this show.  Not to mention what a joke it is to have HK judging when she not only goes out in public in dresses like she had this week -- she took it many steps further by appearing on camera for national television dressed in that hideous abomination!

• Love 3

Of course, I had the same question about the twin cheating.  What could possibly be so unique about a tank top you'd need to measure part of it in your apt.?  Unless you're being graded on making an exact duplicate including the proportions...?

I don't think the problem so much was her measuring the clothes. It's been stated that it's allowed and we've seen it done in the workroom in other seasons. I think the issue may be that she was using the time in their hotel to work on her garment. Project Runway has always been very strict with time. I'm sure all the contestants would love to get some some small things out of the way on their downtime but it doesn't work that way. Other than conceptualizing their garment in their heads, when the allotted time is over, work is supposed to be done for the day.

On 11/17/2017 at 9:45 AM, Pepper Mostly said:

What was Tim Gunn's advice to designers in years past? Something about making sure someone could get in and out of a taxi in your clothes? I defy anyone to climb into a cab in any of Brandon's outfits. One strap caught in a door and you'd go the way of Isadora Duncan.

Great advice.

On 11/17/2017 at 7:20 PM, gingerormaryann said:

Looking forward to the reunion!  The twins were annoying as hell, but I'm with Kentaro in that they seemed like nice people.  I'm not sure about the tape measurer situation.  Should be interesting.

On 11/18/2017 at 1:20 PM, carrps said:

This was the most interesting quote to me from that Entertainment interview with Kentaro:

You were very close to Brandon, so close you guys called each other brothers. Was it hard competing against him in the finale?
He would ask me things like, “What do you think? What should I do?” I always tried to give him my best opinion to help. Whatever Brandon does is whatever Brandon does. It’s nothing that I would do, so I just wanted him to do the best. I wasn’t really having any competing feelings toward Brandon. I wanted him to do well.

Who influenced whom?

I think they took inspiration from each other equally - and visibily.

As to the finale results, I agree with everything the judge's said.  Kentaro deserved the win.  I really liked Ayana's collection but agree the first 3 looks were awful.  Out of 10 qty, that number is too high.  Brandon's looks were too much the same throughout. He doesn't seem to understand what is meant by the judges wanting to be "wowed".

Margarites collection was fun, but missed the mark Tim gave her, i.e. take it off the beach and put it on the sidewalks of Manhattan.  Something like that (which was also very good advice).

Edited by Jextella
  • Love 1
17 minutes ago, Jextella said:

Margaruites collection was fun but missed the mark time gave her, i.e. take it off the beach and put it on the sidewalks of Manhattan.  Something like that (which was also very good advice).

I think her things could be better appreciated if she had only ONE loud piece per look. Pair it with something understated so that you can actually appreciate it rather than getting knocked out.

• Love 2

There was a big disconnect for me with Brandon’s “never having designed for women” on the first episode, and then thinking he was going to win and acting all distraught in the last episode.  Sure, he developed more confidence in his abilities during the course of the show and showed that he is really talented, but it was infuriating that he made that statement in the beginning.  It made it seem like he didn’t respect the difficulty of the competition.  

• Love 1

Margaretta collection was hideous. So glad she was in fourth place. Seriously disappointed in Ayana. That shiny fabric is so difficult to pull off and then the colors. Yikes. Gray and drab and the flower print. Honestly thought her collection would be so much better.

and poor Brandon, he was the front runner and yet he completely shit the bed. Everything looked the same and his fabric was a complete fail. 

Kentaro’s collection had some great moments and not so great but honestly I was mesmerized while it was happening so I’m glad he won.

• Love 2

I'm 70 years old and a little bit fluffy (not thin).  When this came down the runway, I said to Mr. AZC, I'd wear this on a cruise with a pair of black skinny pants (to hide the dimples in my knees).  I love the color and the sleeves!  There are not enough sleeves to make us old people happy!!!

Capture.JPG

• Love 20

Thought it was a great finale. Happy for Kentaro's win. Margarita gave him some good advice about the showing order. I think Tim Gunn unintentionally did Brandon a  disservice by not pointing out the lack of a" wow" piece or some variation in color. I didn't mind the model's comments. Project Runway has tried different formulas for the models throughout the seasons, from  walking clothes hangers to getting to know them as people. Not sure how I feel about this plus sized model thing. Women come in all shapes and sizes and ages. Many people on this board are over 50. There are some great older models and shorter models too. If you're going to change things up, why just plus sized? What is a "model" anyway? 

Edited by unfashionable
  • Love 6

So, after watching 14 episodes...

Kentaro gets the Dead Cat Bounce

Brandon disolves in a weeping mass of man pain

Ashton Kutcher jumps out onto the runway and yells

america-you-just-got-punkd.jpg

All things considered it was a satisfying conclusion.

And I'm not mad. 

• Love 2
20 hours ago, anonymiss said:

I agree with the comparison of Kentaro to Christian Siriano (whose finale collection was one of my top 3 in PR history). I don't know if he has the same drive or business acumen but he has the talent to be a bonafide fashion brand and dress celebrities if he does.

Kentaro needs a celebrity muse like Christian had Christina Hendricks, right at the apex of her "Mad Men" popularity.  She was wearing his designs on almost every red carpet for years, and still does.  Christian was only 19 or 20 when he won, so he definitely had the energy of youth on his side.  Kentaro is almost 40, so he may not want the type of career CS has, with multiple lines and spinoffs, including shoes.  

• Love 1
On 11/18/2017 at 2:58 PM, Luciano said:

It was Irma, not Maria. Irma sideswiped PR on the seventh  (and knocked out power in some places, including San Juan). They never mentioned the hurricane's name.

ETA: The runway show was on Sept. 8th.

I finally watched the finale parts 1 and 2, after reading everything here first.  So, I noticed that although they never mentioned the hurricane's name, they placed the following words on the video when Tim visited Margarita in San Juan: "6 Weeks Before Hurricane Maria".  So, it's understandable that the viewers would think it was that hurricane (more destructive than Irma) which hit during NYFW.

5 hours ago, AZChristian said:

I'm 70 years old and a little bit fluffy (not thin).  When this came down the runway, I said to Mr. AZC, I'd wear this on a cruise with a pair of black skinny pants (to hide the dimples in my knees).  I love the color and the sleeves!  There are not enough sleeves to make us old people happy!!!

Capture.JPG

All I could focus on was the mismatch in the sleeve lengths!

• Love 5

Looking over the collections, Ayana's fabric choices killed her. The gray outfit she showed in Finale 1 was stunning. Those prairie dresses, had then not been in those muddy, dull prints, might have been good. That shiny silver fabric was of Satan. Those fabrics looked cheap, nasty, ill-fitting and unflattering.

While I hate what JCP has done to Kentaro's collection, it seems clear that his was going to be the easiest to adapt. He doesn't have a lot of complicated detail or intricate seaming that was evident in Brandon's or Margarita's. That white dress on his larger size model is a great big nothing that can be adapted with ease. What made his collection look good and expensive was the textile choice. JCP has put it all in cheap, slightly nasty-looking, fabric. Still, the leggings, that white dress, the short white skirt, and even the red can be easily adapted to clothes more cheaply made.

In looking at Brandon's girlfriend's collection, she had the same problem as Brandon. As someone upthread mentioned, those were clothing lines and not runway collections. When I went back and looked at her show, everything had a sameness to it, although beautifully done, and not one show stopper. Brandon's collection had no wow moment, no breathtaking piece. I love his work. He's innovative and interesting and unusual and will go far. And it seems it cannot be repeated enough that the strapping and loops are for the runway versions and not the ready to wear versions, so their wearability isn't really a consideration when assessing his future.  I was sorry to see a young man who was by all accounts rather sweet sobbing and so heartbroken. 

I like Margarita's in motion much better than in the stills. It had a vibrancy, but it was too overpowering. While Brandon's collection lacked an exclamation point, Margarita's was a riot of punctuation and none of the garments could breathe or be appreciated. 

I'm happy with Kentaro winning, but I hate to see his work being translated into pleather. I think Ayana hurt her own brand with those textiles. Margarita may get a few pieces on the red carpet and Brandon has already found his market. This has been a group of the most talented designers in years. It renewed my enthusiasm for the show.

• Love 10

Can I ask a kind of unrelated question? This forum is the only one these days I follow besides OUAT and I've never noticed the pink boxes around certain replies over there before. What's it mean? I'm on mobile if it matters.