Type keyword(s) to search

S16.E11: Warrior Fashion

Drogo
  • Start Topic

5 hours ago, Jordan Baker said:

My two favorite moments from last night's show were Kentaro boxing and Swatch barking.

Hee.  Did you catch that they gave Swatch the last word?  After everyone yelled "Sorry Swatch, Goodbye!" they played little last yip.  Cracked me up.

• Love 11

I didn't care for the blue dress at all. It was...a dress. Everything about it...the silhouette, the color, even the shoulder embellishments felt very Dress Barn. It was well-made and fit Liris like a glove, but it was...a dress and nothing that couldn't be pulled off the rack right now. 

• Love 22
2 hours ago, Lady Iris said:

2 hours ago, Miss Ruth said:
2 hours ago, Lady Iris said:

Wasn't somebody in a season not too long ago berated for constantly using fringe?

That was Shawn Kelly, and he won with all that fringe.

Shawn was Australian, and I decided that Australian Fringe is different, fashionable and desirable.  Every time I've seen the judges slam the use of fringe before and after that season.  

Forget waterboarding the judges, make them listen to their critiques without commercials, just their critiques for 72 hours.  The lack of cohesion, the lack of a story told, the lack of consistency. Hell, the lack of finished hems.  

• Love 8
1 hour ago, Desert Rat said:

I know all about this.  My adult son has a serious mental illness. My son had a very promising and productive future until he got sick at 18.  When your child has a serious mental illness, you suffer alone, trying to navigate an unfamiliar and often hostile and grossly underfunded mental health system trying to get services and treatment. When your child is in a psychiatric hospital, you keep it a secret because of stigma. No one sends flowers or cards. There are no well wishes.  Fortunately, I have found support through the National Alliance on Mental Illness.  Maybe your friends can get some answers and support through NAMI too.  

So sorry that this is in your life. It must feel very lonely and I am glad that you have found support. NAMI is a terrific organization, and I would not hesitate to suggest it if my friends were actually looking for help. They are not. Their attitude is that the daughter-in-law 'left' the family and that's it. Their son,  however, is still in touch with his sick wife and is trying deparately to get help for her so I concentrate on supporting him. 

This is way off topic so: Brandon. Straps. Swatch. Corset. Millennial pink. Tim Gunn Save. Cup o Noodles. 

• Love 15
1 hour ago, Eulipian 5k said:

Boy oh boy, Zac reeeallly manhandles those clothes when Tim brings them in. (Note I said "clothes" not "models"). You go Zac, catch every flaw and misstep!

Which made Margarita's attempt at hiding stuff seem extra delusional because Zac and even Heidi really are good at pointing out flaws, especially ones they are trying to mask.

• Love 6
10 hours ago, Sera Berlin said:

Also the secret winner of this season is in my eyes model MEISHA - week after week the designer who got her won - so often that I don't even remember the last winner look that she didn't walk down the runway - so there u see how much of a difference a good model can make - it can be everything... to be honest I think that's why Kentaro was so weak this week, his asthetics dont work with plus size models (same goes for Brandon imo) - Liris is a super strong model, u dont forget her outfit, she made some looks stand out this season but Jasmin was in the bottom quite regularly, more than not designers got eliminated when they had her - I think that is not fair for the designers who have weaker models, they should have all equal chances to show off their best work. so models in different sizes: yes! but only if every designer works on same size and they have equal chances every week.

I am STILL trying to figure out how models are assigned ... I think I threw that query in on another thread and can't seem to find it addressed anywhere so hoping someone here may have some insight ... In years past, didh't the designers get to choose models each week with last week's winner choosing first and the rest out of the button bag? But now it SEEMS they get an envelope after they get challenge and before models come in "surprising" them with their model's name. 

So is it random? Are TPTB silently doing some rigging with who they assign? And what happens to the models as the pool goes does each week? I admit I have not followed whether there are models who appear one week, not the next, then are back or if indeed the pool is shrinking and each eliminated model is "auf'ed" with whatever designer they'd gotten stuck with the week his/her number came up. 

Hoping maybe someone has kept close enough track of who is with who and when to be able to answer ...

• Love 2

15 HOURS AGO,  LOTUSFLOWER SAID: 

I know most of you reference Kvetchin' Gretchen's win as the worst, but for me, it was Ashley.

Agreed that was by far the worst win. All the collections were crap that season, but hers was the ugliest shit I’ve ever seen on this show. When she won, I thought ‘So frumpy lace in hideous pastels is the new sexy?’

And don't forget the see-thru skirt with the model wearing granny panties ... 

Tim Gunn pretty much destroyed Ashley's career with his devastating critique in the Washington Post.  https://www.washingtonpost.com/posteverything/wp/2016/09/08/tim-gunn-designers-refuse-to-make-clothes-to-fit-american-women-its-a-disgrace/?utm_term=.1c49e30059e9

I didn't think his remarks were fair to Ashley.  If he was a great mentor, he should have at least been able to persuade her to cover THOSE PANTIES!

• Love 3
1 minute ago, PamelaMaeSnap said:

I am STILL trying to figure out how models are assigned ... I think I threw that query in on another thread and can't seem to find it addressed anywhere so hoping someone here may have some insight ... In years past, didh't the designers get to choose models each week with last week's winner choosing first and the rest out of the button bag? But now it SEEMS they get an envelope after they get challenge and before models come in "surprising" them with their model's name. 

So is it random? Are TPTB silently doing some rigging with who they assign? And what happens to the models as the pool goes does each week? I admit I have not followed whether there are models who appear one week, not the next, then are back or if indeed the pool is shrinking and each eliminated model is "auf'ed" with whatever designer they'd gotten stuck with the week his/her number came up. 

Hoping maybe someone has kept close enough track of who is with who and when to be able to answer ...

If they got aufed automatically I don't think they would be so critical of the clothes they wear to the judges.

And I thought I may as well say men are actually at much more risk of cancer than women (about a half compared to a third of women) and more die, for genetic reasons it's thought as there's less protection, also detection is later.

• Love 1
2 minutes ago, AuntieDiane6 said:

And don't forget the see-thru skirt with the model wearing granny panties ... 

Tim Gunn pretty much destroyed Ashley's career with his devastating critique in the Washington Post.  https://www.washingtonpost.com/posteverything/wp/2016/09/08/tim-gunn-designers-refuse-to-make-clothes-to-fit-american-women-its-a-disgrace/?utm_term=.1c49e30059e9

I didn't think his remarks were fair to Ashley.  If he was a great mentor, he should have at least been able to persuade her to cover THOSE PANTIES!

I can't read this unless I pay $1.  Odd.  I am not giving my card number to anyone else!   Can someone copy and paste some high points?  Thanks

The most disappointing aspect for me was that they had two days and a large $400 budget.   Not one of the designs reflected the extra time and $$ they were given for this round.

Second, the challenge was to create a high fashion editorial design for a powerful warrior woman.  None of the designs looked high fashion.

I would be happy to have one of Brandon's designs in my wardrobe, but only one.  The idea of having an entire closet filled with nothing but the same slightly modified design for every single occasion, from streetwear to red carpet, is ridiculous.  Even if I could get past having every outfit for every occasion looking nearly identical (which I can't), I have serious doubts about whether Brandon is capable of professional-level construction or tailoring. 

I'd love to see this challenge for the remaining four contestants: "Designers, make a high fashion look of your choosing that the judges will not be able to guess which one of you designed".   The contestant who can fool the greatest number of judges wins the challenge.

• Love 16
2 minutes ago, amazingracefan said:

And I thought I may as well say men are actually at much more risk of cancer than women (about a half compared to a third of women) and more die, for genetic reasons it's thought as there's less protection, also detection is later.

True ... and in fact, every day seven men in the US are diagnosed with BREAST cancer and somewhere between 400 and 500 men die from it each year. 

I am almost ashamed now to admit that I do the Avon 39 walk every year ... this coming May will be my seventh in a row ... to raise funds and awareness etc. Knocking wood, I am one of the only women in my pretty small immediate family who (so far) has NOT been diagnosed with breast cancer (younger sister, both aunts, some cousins ... plus my husband's mother who while not my blood is immediate family to my daughter ... my own mom died very young, before she would even have been of the age in that era to get a mammogram, so she's a wild card but her only sister had it). 

I am also POSITIVE I have met Michele along the way, one of this week's models ... or perhaps she's one of their walker spokespeople. The minute I saw her and heard her talk I was "I KNOW HER!" (Also, I can attest that a HUGE amount of the funds raised actually DO go to research, patient care, etc. because we see the first checks awarded at closing ceremonies each year ... and a big chunk of that is dedicated to the underserved local communities that need it the most.) 

Oh, topic: Tim using his save the biggest un-surprise ever. I don't think it mattered WHO was auf'ed, he was going to use it ... especially after we had the double twilimination, there had to be a week where someone wasn't auf'ed. Kinda wish it was someone I liked more (i.e., anyone but Margarita).

• Love 5
3 minutes ago, Eulipian 5k said:

Then every designer sends a Black Chador with a gold peplum and straps hanging. "Is it Brandon's? No it's black like Kentaro's,... No it has a peplum,...,it is modest,... but the straps..., and the gold..." ProjRun on the Orient Express.

LOL!  "Wait, this one has poor construction and a crooked zipper...Brandon?  My goodness, look at the precision of that hand-sewing...Ayana?"

Edited by SnarkyTart
  • Love 4

I was so outraged when Brandon "won." I'm surprised I didn't wake up the whole neighborhood I was fussing so loudly.

HOW DID THAT SAME OLE SAME OLE WIN????? HOW???? SO UNFAIR!!!!!

His design SUCKED. It was what he always always always does and it WINS???? SERIOUSLY???

I was beginning to suspect it the last couple of episodes but now it's been confirmed.
Brandon IS the hand-picked winner. With his lil' buddy as number 2.

Color me disgusted.

I'm out.

• Love 8
2 hours ago, Miss Ruth said:

All that bonnet needed were a couple of long ears, and she could have played the Easter bunny.

Lol! A kickass Easter bunny, but an Easter bunny all the same. I'm not really fashion-y, so maybe that's why I don't really get Brandon's aesthetic and thought he was over-praised. It was cool-looking, but not the best editorial look (Ayana's), in my opinion. Oh, and has Brandon ever covered his model's stomach completely? Or is it like Anya from seasons ago, who didn't know how to make sleeves?

I cooled on Margarita after she threw her model under the bus, but I don't think she's nearly as bad (no cheating) or as annoying  (no yelling) as the twins. I didn't like that Tim used his save on her, but I thought it was understandable because she lost by following his advice.  

Edited by Vanderboom
  • Love 4
1 hour ago, carrps said:

The Comen for the Cure pink ribbon shit is a total scam. None of the money they raise goes to research, and their "officers" make huge salaries.

I wonder if Komen started out with good intentions.  I agree there was a lot of greed and "scammery."  I still say that "Pink Ribbon" campaign was the best marketing I've ever seen.  Pink everywhere...everything.  Even now, when Komen (hopefully) reaps no benefits, PINK marches on.   I'd bet the majority of people--especially women, have no idea their hard work and money went to lavish lifestyles.  The Tucson office had a little love-affair scandal several years ago.

10 minutes ago, Vanderboom said:

OOPS !!!

Edited by Former Nun
error...
  • Love 4
1 hour ago, carrps said:

The Komen for the Cure pink ribbon shit is a total scam. None of the money they raise goes to research, and their "officers" make huge salaries.

Donate to Stand Up 2 Cancer or Breast Cancer Research Foundation. Komen is useless. Awareness has been achieved, now let's cure it! Early detection does not always mean you won't die from it. This is a myth as the majority of women who are Stage 4 were diagnosed at an early stage. Breast Cancer doesn't work the same way as other cancers, it doesn't progress chronologically. You can also be diagnosed late stage and survive. It totally depends on what type of cells you were blessed or cursed with. This is why we need research and not parades. For all of those who have lost love ones to any kind of cancer, I am truly sorry. This Komen and Pinktober shit makes my blood boil. Project Runway will come up with any stupid idea for a challenge. I wonder what bonehead staffer suggested, "hey it's October, let's tie in Breast Cancer!"

This is an old blog post (2010) but it gives you an idea of some of the stupid things company's do to make $$ off of breast cancer:

http://www.butdoctorihatepink.com/2010/10/breast-cancer-awareness-month-carnival.html

Edited by Bellalisa
  • Love 12
29 minutes ago, Vanderboom said:

Oh, and has Brandon ever covered his model's stomach completely? Or is it like Anya from seasons ago, who didn't know how to make sleeves?

Yeah, I wonder if Brandon's aesthetic allows him to get away with A LOT. Like a dropped crotch means you never have to worry about those terribly fitted crotches. And raglan sleeves mean you don't have to fit one. 

• Love 12

My favorite part of the episode was Margarita feeling so empowered, and finally finding her voice as a designer...only to be dragged through the mud with her critique. Did she really think her dress was special, unique and was the creative direction she should follow as a designer? Yikes. 

I knew when Tim said he liked the dress to the judges he was going to use his stupid save. Ugh. 

I like Brandon. Like his work. But part of the reason I liked him was that he seemed so humble. Not last night. That took a bit of the bloom off the rose for me. 

• Love 7
1 hour ago, wings707 said:

I can't read this unless I pay $1.  Odd.  I am not giving my card number to anyone else!   Can someone copy and paste some high points?  Thanks

Does this link work?  I am not getting a paywall now:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/posteverything/wp/2016/09/08/tim-gunn-designers-refuse-to-make-clothes-to-fit-american-women-its-a-disgrace/?postshare=6531473419153248&tid=ss_fb-bottom&utm_term=.1784e9a8282d

• Love 1
5 hours ago, Bellalisa said:

And survivors also have to live with a lot of issues post-treatment, effects of chemo, losing breasts, worrying about your health- life will never be the same.  And they totally ignore the fact that not everyone survives too--the whole pink balloons, everyone is upbeat and warriors and fighting, has to be upsetting to those who have lost a loved one. Like did they not fight hard enough? Did they not have the right attitude? It really is a crap shoot. They don't know enough about why cancer spreads from the breast in some people and in other people, even if they never had any treatment, it would never spread from the breast and kill you (you would however have a giant tumor in your breast but it would not be deadly). Other people get diagnosed early, have double mastectomies, chemo, etc etc and the cancer still spreads.  You could be diagnosed stage 1 and not survive if you have the spreading type.  If they could pin down how and why some cells spread-  we might be closer to a cure.  It kills me a charity like Komen spends millions of dollars on pink ribbon parties and very little percent of their income on research or on helping Stage 4 people living with terminal breast cancer. It's so so so sad.  I know off topic, but it annoys me that Project Runway jumped on the pink bandwagon.

This this this.  I wish I could like this a million times!  

• Love 7
8 hours ago, beaker73 said:

I've been a fan of Brandon's all season, but I really kinda hated his outfit this week.  The pink? The baby bonnet? No.  I'll admit I was a bit surprise that he won this week since we had Kenya going on about she hasn't won a challenge yet. 

Kenya's was a beautifully constructed dress in a great color, but that's really it.  

I loved Anya's and thought she was the winner hands down.  Impeccable construction, original idea.  Her model looked fierce. 

The judges were effusive in their praise for Kenya's dress.  The compliments flowed quickly and easily.

When it came to Brandon, each judge seemed to struggle for something positive to say, beginning with Heidi who seemed momentarily flummoxed about how to flatter a look she didn't really like.

For Ayana, the judges returned to their comfort zone, again heaping on praise.

Then Brandon gets the win. 

It's all bullshit.

• Love 14
1 hour ago, Midnight Cheese said:

It wanted $1 from me, too.  I think it may have something to do with how often you've checked out certain news sites.  They let you have a few free, but then they start to charge, or require a paid subscription.  Which is when I stop reading that particular site.

• Love 2
19 hours ago, LotusFlower said:

I'm pretty sure Tim didn't use the save one season.

Also, I'm thinking Tim maybe saved Margarita because he felt guilty for encouraging her to keep the gold corset, which the judges hated.

I agree with both statements, Lotus Flower.  The first thing I thought of when the judges hated the gold on Margarita's model was...she's going to be pissed off at Tim.   Happily, and it surprised me, I did not hear her blame Tim in any way for encouraging her to keep the gold.   I wish she had changed it too, to a small touch of the gold perhaps.   

As a 7  year breast cancer survivor (Thank you Lord), after my radiation and horrible medication issues, I found myself really annoyed with being reminded of breast cancer every time I left the house!   I saw a lot of heartache and pain for others  during my treatment and I am so grateful I avoided chemo and I truly am one of the lucky ones. With all the money donated  the cause over the years, there should never be another case of it.

Ayana's fabric choice for the blouse was perfection to me.  One of my favorites, so I liked her whole outfit.  Reminded me someone else?  Liza Minelli in Cabaret maybe?  Or maybe even Joel Grey.  LOL   Kenya was robbed.  I thought it covered the challenge and it was so well made.    Kentaro :   Oh dear, I am so sad.   He is such a sweetheart and more interesting than Brandon.  I think he just had a bad day and the black did him in.

Tim, I love you but I wish you had saved Kentaro.   Margarita has a beautiful smile, but her personality and talent leave me cold .  I would love to Ayana win.   She has shown a lot of imagination and class IMO

• Love 6

Thank you @Midnight Cheese, that link worked.  Tim spoke the truth.  Good for him, her collection was hideous.  We got it that all the judges voted for her as a nod to the plus size market.  Stupid, it only served to tarnish that season.  

Edited by wings707

The washed out Amish hipster won?  Seriously?  That bonnet..  Egads...

I thought Ayana had it;  who doesnt love a well tailored puffy shirt?  I wanted to wear Kenya's dress most.  I love that fabric tells Kenya to buy them.

At least everyone left can actually sew and has a point of view....

• Love 7

Here is one paragraph from Tim's critique of Ashley's FW show:

This season, something different happened: Ashley Nell Tipton won the contest with the show’s first plus-size collection. But even this achievement managed to come off as condescending. I’ve never seen such hideous clothes in my life: bare midriffs; skirts over crinoline, which give the clothes, and the wearer, more volume; see-through skirts that reveal panties; pastels, which tend to make the wearer look juvenile; and large-scale floral embellishments that shout “prom.” Her victory reeked of tokenism. One judge told me that she was “voting for the symbol” and that these were clothes for a “certain population.” I said they should be clothes all women want to wear. I wouldn’t dream of letting any woman, whether she’s a size 6 or a 16, wear them. A nod toward inclusiveness is not enough.

BTW, if a news site wants to charge you, switch browsers!  You get a certain number of articles PER BROWSER.  

• Love 8
6 hours ago, Pepper Mostly said:

LOL, just the opposite for me--I loved the shoulders and hated the blue.

Fern Mallis. Badgley Mischka. Amsale. Diane von Furstenburg. Cynthia Rowley. Betsy Johnson. Iman. Catherine Malandrino. It is to weep.

Imagine what they look like on a hanger! I can't for the life of me envision someone plucking one of those strappy little confections from the rack and going "ooh, this is adorable!"

@Aerobicidal thank you for this! I laughed heartily for several minutes.

Meisha is adorable and pure sunshine, I love her.

Oh dear, reading all those wonderful judges names brings such nostalgia!    Fern Mallis was particularly informative/interesting and the others were all terrific.

• Love 2
37 minutes ago, AuntieDiane6 said:

BTW, if a news site wants to charge you, switch browsers!  You get a certain number of articles PER BROWSER.  

For a certain well known newspaper (not WaPo, where I subscribe), I open a private browsing window, read up to their limit, then close the browser--it doesn't remember I've been there.  Sometimes I have to clear my cache, too, but not often.

21 hours ago, hoodooznoodooz said:

I think that this might be my last season. I quit during the Gretchen season, but regrettably returned.

If they don't start finding sponsors somewhere above dog food, it might be everyone's.

Cardiovascular disease kills many more women than breast cancer, but marketing efforts to increase awareness haven't been as successful as SGK, I guess.  And awareness is more important as a lot of cardiovascular disease can be prevented whereas breast cancer may be treatable, but isn't terribly preventable.

What strikes me most about Brandon's clothes isn't the sameness, the crop tops, the stupid straps; it's the lack of luxury.  Nina and Heidi used to care about whether fabrics looked expensive.  Brandon's fabrics look like they were pulled from the bottom of the remnant bin.

• Love 12
4 hours ago, SnarkyTart said:

The most disappointing aspect for me was that they had two days and a large $400 budget.   Not one of the designs reflected the extra time and $$ they were given for this round.

Second, the challenge was to create a high fashion editorial design for a powerful warrior woman.  None of the designs looked high fashion.

I would be happy to have one of Brandon's designs in my wardrobe, but only one.  The idea of having an entire closet filled with nothing but the same slightly modified design for every single occasion, from streetwear to red carpet, is ridiculous.  Even if I could get past having every outfit for every occasion looking nearly identical (which I can't), I have serious doubts about whether Brandon is capable of professional-level construction or tailoring. 

I'd love to see this challenge for the remaining four contestants: "Designers, make a high fashion look of your choosing that the judges will not be able to guess which one of you designed".   The contestant who can fool the greatest number of judges wins the challenge.

love that idea!! Brandon would have a breakdown 

• Love 1
23 hours ago, PaulaO said:

Jesus H. Christ, the breast cancer trump card.  And I can say that because I had breast cancer.  But I hate the pink, hate the ribbon, hate the emotionalization of cancer.

I love you! I am a 3x survivor and I cringed at this challenge. I can hardly even articulate it but ARGH! I hated Brandon's baby-bonnet "helmet" because women with breast cancer are often infantilized anyway. Ever hear of programs where the grown-ass women patients receive teddy bears? It happens. Also, I cannot imagine why women fighting other cancers don't get the pink treatment. Whatever can it be about breast cancer that sets it apart? Hmmmm. 

• Love 5
23 hours ago, SpiralRadish said:

Really, Tim?  REALLY?  I feel like he had to use the save since there's so few people left, though.  And you gotta get those emotional points for the ratings.

Also, they lost an extra person due to Claire's cheating, didn't they? I can't recall for sure, but if so, they need to have 5 people going into next week so their production schedule isn't affected. I think!

i liked Margarita's rationale for her design, but not the outcome. Also, a gold bustier might not be a great choice considering a lot of us "warriors" can't wear one anymore... I dunno, maybe I just feel irked in general. 

• Love 2
12 hours ago, vibeology said:

When Kentaro explained that he was inspired by something from Japan and they shot back that it looked like Brandon's I was about ready to die. Someone is appropriating Japanese street wear but that someone isn't Kentaro.

Look up Tokyo or Seoul street fashion and Brandon's "style" had already been done several years ago. (Not that the other designers are exceptionally talented, either. I do like Kentaro but it's more about his personality and not his designs. *sigh*) I see more interesting styles worn by non-fashion people in Asia than on a fashion design show. So depressing. I miss the PR of yesteryears.

• Love 5

I thought Ayana should have won.

Brandon's was OK but I'd like to see him make a dart. And cover a belly button.

Kentaro's looked like a graduation gown. His model needed a mortarboard on her head.

I kind of liked Kenya's. The color was amazing on Liris. But there was this weird puckering around the hips, the dress wasn't sitting smoothly on them.  Also Leanne Marshall was the petal-master.

Margarita's - pretty but kind of blah. I wish Tim hadn't used the save.

When Kentaro was pulling his hoody sweater over the model's head, she had that bright purple lipstick on and I was wondering if it was going to be smeared all over the inside of the sweater.

• Love 8

I love Ayana--she's my favorite-- but can someone please explain to me the allure of sleeves that cover your hands? Is that a thing? And a strap that is perpetually falling off and catching on  your arm? This outfit looked so uncomfortable!  Her winning look from the avant garde challenge also didnt allow the model to use her arms. I feel like clothing that doesn't allow use of limbs should probably be disqualified. But what do I know.

I loved Margarita's concept. Wish she had used different fabrics. It looked cheap.

Kenya was by far the winner to me. 

So about Tim throwing Ashley under the bus in that WaPo column from last year-- regardless of how accurate his critique was, he was her mentor, wasn't he? That just comes off incredibly classless. Don't trash the winner of your own show. 

• Love 4
12 hours ago, beaker73 said:

Anyone want to place bets on Liris being the "winning" model?  

I think we will know who the final winner will be as soon as we know who Liris is assigned to. And if it isn't Brandon, I'll be shocked.

8 hours ago, Lady Iris said:

At this point I'm pushing hard for Ayana to win. Love me Kenya too, then Kentaro and Brandon.

I would love to see Ayana win. She is the only one who has really stretched herself and grown this season. Plus designing fashion without showing skin, while making it sensuous is quite a skill.

8 hours ago, dleighg said:

Yeah, there's a reason women don't typically show a lot of skin in the board room, or at the university lecture hall podium, or in the scientific lab, or in the tech start-up cubicle farm. It does typically *not* empower you. At least not in the way that is right in those circumstances.

This was my biggest gripe with the entire episode. Fashion defines "powerful" as either sexy or masculine. Power suits or powerful wonder women. They have no idea of what being "empowered" really means. They kept focusing on "warrior", not true "power".

I kept trying to think for myself: "What would someone who is truly empowered look like? How would she dress". NOT "how would someone dress is they wanted to APPEAR powerful.. how would they dress if they WERE empowered. And the one thing I thought was that she probably wouldn't be focused on being "hip", wouldn't have overdone make-up, or have over processed hair (unless it was a Helen Mirren "I want purple hair and I don't care what anyone thinks!" thing). They would keep it simple because all this stuff would be SO much less important than other aspects of life. An example of an empowered woman that came to mind was Audrey Hepburn. One of the things I've done as I've felt more empowered in aging is that I no longer color or straighten my hair. My natural gray curls are part of me becoming more empowered. (I'm not completely powerful though, because I still worry about what I wear) So the whole assignment was whack because it required an editorial fashion forward slant and an empowered woman doesn't give a crap what other people say about her clothes, hair or makeup. Especially when she's fighting a deadly disease! 

6 hours ago, carrps said:

I liked Anaya's best (I like her the best, too). The blouse also reminded me of one I had in the 80s that I wore to pieces, but the asymmetry made it fresher. I loved how she lined up the little buttons down the collar, and, then,  continuing down the blouse.

As to the copying remarks by the judges, who was it that was working on their look first and who had to come to the other for advice (as he's done every single damn week).

Ayana's top reminded me of an over-the-top version of a blouse I coveted from teh Royal Silk catalog (anybody else remember them?) back in the mid-late 80's. I still want it even though it would be dated.

In this episode especially, (but previously as well) I really wanted to call Brandon Shawn. For someone whose looks vary little, he sure does always need a lot of advice and help!

5 hours ago, PamelaMaeSnap said:

I asked that question myself in another thread. It seems like maybe the models each got contracts for a certain number of episodes, because the designers clearly aren't doing a model selection (of their choosing) and the model wearing the losing outfit doesn't seem to go home (but I haven't been keeping track of that). I'm still willing to bet that Liris will walk for the season winner. Have they mentioned whether there is a model prize this season?

5 hours ago, SnarkyTart said:

They can all design like Brandon hoping to finally win. Brandon will have to design like someone else, will fail miserably, and so the mystery will be: Will the REAL Brandon please stand up!"

4 hours ago, jackjill89 said:

I knew when Tim said he liked the dress to the judges he was going to use his stupid save. Ugh. 

Yep. Me too. When he said to the judges during the close up exam of the outfits "Is it really THAT bad?" or "You really don't like it?" or whatever he said, I thought "Damn, he's going to save her!" It's not so much that I "hate" her. Its just that having her gone meant Ayana, Kentaro, and Kenya were that much closer to making it to final 3. Has Tim ever saved someone only to have them NOT make final 3? Or have them go home the next episode? By saving M., people I'd MUCH rather see a collection from are still in danger of NOT making it. I thought originally that Kentaro was a shoe-in, but he's floundered lately. I think Ayana SHOULD be a shoo-in, but for all we know she might crash and burn next episode. I'm still hoping for both Ayana and Kentaro to make final 3, but if there's some shenaigans to get Margarita in there, and we know Brandon is golden, then either Ayan or Kentaro will have to go. And I'm going to be really mad when that happens and there's no save for them.

Edited by slothgirl
  • Love 7

Ugh, this wasn't a great episode for Tim. Ever since the unfortunate Ashley win and the article, I've felt like I can't trust Tim to be objective and rational in his critiques. I feel his bias and favoritism and it's like he doesn't even try to hide it anymore. He felt emotionally connected to Margarita and encouraged her not to ditch her BUTT-UGLY dress because he sympathized with her emotions. Then at the runway he just couldn't.shut.up (which I think he should unless asked specific questions) and defended the dress "I LIKED IT!!" nearly tearing up with frustration like a petulant child. I'm surprised he didn't stomp his feet while saying it. I used to love Tim and wish he would give actual feedback even to his favorites. And I have nothing to say about his use of the TGS on Margarita. I haven't liked any of her looks.

I think Brandon's looks all belong in the same collection, which in a way is brilliant. I feel like I know his aesthetic and inspiration, from video games to hip hop and street wear. I could see tons of artists wearing his stuff on stage. He produces high fashion looks week after week instead of ready-to-wear pieces. I get why people are frustrated with the repetitiveness of his looks and I agree that on PR, it would be more exciting to see different colors and silhouettes from the designers. I still think he is miles ahead of the rest of the group, but I don't think it makes for very exciting TV. 

I like Kentaro a lot and think he has interesting ideas. I wish he wouldn't panic when designing for larger models: if he had made the grey sweater larger to start with, he wouldn't have had to make the black moomoo. The sweater already looked tight on his own head and he is TINY! How could he not predict that it would never fit his model before he stuffed her into it? I felt bad for the model. However, I liked his final look and it screamed Japanese warrior to me. 

Ayana is improving and I liked the wacky overalls and thought it was her best work so far. Kenya made Lyris look stunning, and I though Lyris's hair and makeup really worked for her as well. She has never looked better. The dress didn't scream high fashion to me, though. I still like both of them and I'm just keeping my fingers and toes crossed that Margarita goes home next week and all 4 make it to FW!

• Love 10

Not sure if this has been mentioned before, but do Brandon's clothes remind anyone else of straight jackets? I always feel like his models are being sent to an institution. Without all the straps, I think I would like the interesting shapes and menswear-inspired look of his clothes. But I have to agree with the chorus that, even though cool, his looks are getting repetitive. Every challenge I wait for the judges to turn on him...

Tim kind of had to save Margarita because he told her to go with her Wonder Woman look. He should have steered her in a better direction.

• Love 12
15 minutes ago, slothgirl said:

Ayana's top reminded me of an over-the-top version of a blouse I coveted from teh Royal Silk catalog (anybody else remember them?) back in the mid-late 80's. I still want it even though it would be dated.

I do! I do! I loved that catalog and can still see the pieces I had from it. Those pieces made me feel so good and happy when I wore them. And there were no strings hanging down, no harnesses attached. I didn't feel particularly "editorial" but I enjoyed them nonetheless.

• Love 5
31 minutes ago, iknow said:

Ugh, this wasn't a great episode for Tim. Ever since the unfortunate Ashley win and the article, I've felt like I can't trust Tim to be objective and rational in his critiques. I feel his bias and favoritism and it's like he doesn't even try to hide it anymore.

For me, the trust level issue arose during the Under the Gunn fiasco.  The article last year just felt like Tim was going back to his roots of being honestly willing to tell the judges they're full of shit, like he used to do when blogging for Bravo.  And Tim didn't have to say Ashley's clothes were shit in order for them to be shit.  They just were.

As far as the save, I suspect it didn't matter that much.  If he hadn't used it, they'd eliminate one person next week, and now they'll just probably eliminate two.  This was probably his last chance to use his save, anyway, as I doubt the rules for TGS allow him to save someone who gets aufed in the episode picking people going to NYFW.

• Love 4