Type keyword(s) to search

S16.E11: Warrior Fashion

Drogo
  • Start Topic

What I got from this episode was that the 80's are back and "The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel" is back too! Yay!

Whoopie Goldberg would wear Kentaro's look and look great!

How did Margarita not know her look was a big ol' cliché?

I feel like you could almost hear a producer whispering in Nina's earpiece "Pssst... doesn't Kentaro's look like Brandon's?" I mean TURTLENECKS! No way could two people both think of such an unheard of piece of clothing!

• Love 12
37 minutes ago, Bebecat said:

I am not crazy about PR using diseases as inspiration. It would be one thing if they had to design for mastectomy survivors maybe. I guess the warrior thing kind of bugs me as lots of women do not survive breast cancer, but does not mean they were less strong.  Maybe PR should stay in its lane or go back to its original model of a show...rather than Kenya needing to stay in hers. Anyway, jmo...obviously. 

It's kind of fucked up and f***s with the emotions of the designers.  What if someone was so overcome with emotion they couldn't even get through the challenge. I wouldn't blame them.  Kind of exploitative.

However I did cry and it did work on me as a naive viewer

The guest judge?  She had a tiny part on a shitty season of House of Cards.  Ummmmmm.... ok?

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
  • Love 5

Way back when I was into Final Fantasy, there was (or is, I think he is still there) a game designer who had an obsession with belts. Almost every character was overloaded with belts. It got to the point that people began joking that one day, a character will be wearing nothing but belts. 

Now every time I see one of Brandon's outfits,  I think of that designer. One of these days, his outfit is going to be just straps. I actually did like his outfit for the most part today (get rid of the bonnet or at least have it lay flat on the edge), but that thing could be put on a Final Fantasy character and it would fit right in.

I liked Ayana's the best.

ETA: See someone else brought up FF. He could totally make great FF costumes.

Edited by Luciano
  • Love 6

I screamed of laughter when Heidi was like, "Well I think you're creating something new" to Brandon when, even if that was totally true, the show went out of its way to show a montage of sameness of these alleged new clothes this same episode.

• Love 10

Brandon’s crop tops keep getting shorter each week. Pretty soon it will just be a dickie with straps and poopy pants (now with matching Bo Peep bonnet) going down the runway. 

Edited by Angeleyes
  • Love 15

I hate royal blue so Kenya's dress did not work for me in that way. It reminds me of Queen Elizabeth with her bright jewel tones but she is 91. 

Margarita really seems to have no ideas. She should make Sweet 16 dresses and call it a day. What a waste of a save. You don't HAVE to use it Tim.

• Love 11

I think maybe Brandon’s look won just because it’s pink and would look good in the breast cancer ad (or whatever they’re doing with this editorial look). 

Edited by Maya
  • Love 7
24 minutes ago, SuprSuprElevated said:

PR judges, all previous seasons - "I feel like we've seen this from you before.  We don't know who you are as a designer."

PR judges this season - "We love that we know this is Brandon's design every week.  Zach - "But it's very different."

Kill me now.

Me too.   This inconsistency drives me nuts. Brandon could cut a some holes in a trash bag, add some straps and they would gush about it.  

And Tim better hope my man Kentaro doesn’t get aufed next week since he wasted his save on Margaurite.

• Love 21

I never buy into the forced emotions, whether phone calls home or making use of a disease. I just want to see the runway. The boxing thing was stupid, I ended up watching football until they were in the workroom. I hope Kentaro can turn it around.

• Love 5

Brandon doesn't even need to sew anything.  His outfits are all the same.  He should just recycle.  That having been said, I think he has the skills.  The problem is that the judges never push him to anything different.

I thought Ayanas look was great, but I would give this win to Kenya.  Hate the royal blue, but to me, her design symbolized that you can be completely feminine and still be a warrior.  Brandon's comment about making the warrior androgynous bugged me.

Kentaro's look was meh.  The tacky gold bodice ruined Margarita's look.  I think the basic dress and the idea of chaos had potential, but that bodice was horrid.

• Love 15

Ugh.... Brandon keeps making the same thing! Or if the outfits are different, not different enough to see on TV... Has he made a crop top every week??? I can see some of his outfits being interesting, but it's the sameness that bugs me. MAKE SOMETHING DIFFERENT! I know they need to be 'them' in their designs, but this is getting ridiculous. I hate those pants, it just makes me think that he can't tailor a female crotch so he just makes it baggy instead.

They trying to act like Kentaro copied him was also annoying. I get that Brandon is their anointed one, but seriously.

I think Kenya was robbed of that win. Her dress was gorgeous and fit perfect. It also had more detailing and work to it that made it not just a dress. I liked the color a lot too.

Ayana's outfit was okay... something about it seemed almost clownish, though...

Margarita's was a mess, though I wanted it to work. It was definitely Wonder Woman prom.

I would have been fine without Tim using his save at all this season, but I get the feeling he has to use it now that they made it part of the rules... and really this is sort of the last week he has a chance to use it, since next week would have been the final 4 to choose the top three for fashion week... no way would they let Tim use his save at that level.

But it's okay with me that he used it on Margarita, her stuff has been interesting and she at least tried to do something out of the box on this one.

• Love 10

One thing I know is that the judges don't like a stuffed dress, I  mean--that's part of what got Michael auf'd last week.

Also gold is a color that can easily go tacky and that would have worked better if she had kept it a belt or removed it all together.

• Love 2

Tim's so damn stubborn.  And Margarita wasn't even bullied like some of his other favourites.  If anything she's more of a Mean Girl herself.  LOL.  I don't know why he sees her as one of his projects.  I don't think there's much hope for her with like two weeks left.

Kenya ACTS all panicky but then she pulls it out.  She was in the top the past two weeks and good for her.  I'm really consistently happy with what she puts out.  Not ecstatic but definitely happy.

Ayana's top was great.  The outfit brought to mine a certain image, it was Rihanna performing once:

38C417F300000578-3806115-image-m-152_1474778380879.jpg

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
  • Love 7

I'm glad Tim saved Margarita.   The hatred she inspires is...a lot.

Nina and Zac Woulda Coulda-ing Kentaro, and then accusing him of copying, was crass and distasteful.

Speaking of distasteful: the Avon lipsticks look as cosmetically appealing as painting your mouth with matte house paint.  To quote "Reinhold Niebuhr," lordy. 

• Love 17
48 minutes ago, Ms Blue Jay said:

It's kind of fucked up and f***s with the emotions of the designers.  What if someone was so overcome with emotion they couldn't even get through the challenge. I wouldn't blame them.  Kind of exploitative.

However I did cry and it did work on me as a naive viewer

The guest judge?  She had a tiny part on a shitty season of House of Cards.  Ummmmmm.... ok?

I thought it was Evan Rachel Wood at first glance.  Her obsession with that damn bonnet might have tipped the odds in Brandon's favor.  

• Love 2
1 hour ago, Ms Blue Jay said:

See, if an actress is going to be on PR to promote their show, Heidi shouldn't just run past the promotion part. I almost missed it and I watched and loved the one episode of "The Marvelous Mrs. Maizel" Amazon released earlier this year! If someone comes to your show to promote their show, shouldn't you at least say " star of "The Marvelous Mrs. Maizel premiering on Amazon on November 29"?

Edited by Nordly Beaumont
  • Love 5

Brandon thinks ice cream sandwiches are warrior? I love how he broke out of his muted color palette with ... light pink.  I did like his, just like I liked it when I saw it last week, and the week before that, and the week before that...

Margarita's was so cliched and rather tacky.  Kenya's reminded me of S4 Rami's final collection and I didn't like his either.

I don't think Ayana was going for "wacky."

I never heard of the guest actress or her show.  Par for the course with guest judges this season.  Remember when they had Vera Wang on? Amidala? Fern whats-er-name?

Edited by backgroundnoise
  • Love 8
45 minutes ago, BloggerAloud said:

I screamed of laughter when Heidi was like, "Well I think you're creating something new" to Brandon when, even if that was totally true, the show went out of its way to show a montage of sameness of these alleged new clothes this same episode.

Her face didn't match her words.  Neither did Zac's initially.  It the sound was muted, I would have thought she was telling him she's tired of seeing the same look.  It felt like she knew Brandon was the winner already, and forced herself to say something positive.

I feel like I'm in a world where words no longer hold meaning.  Brandon's look was "high fashion".  Yet minus the bib, it's a great workout outfit.  I'm feeling a Gretchen win coming, and I'm almost sentimental for the granny panties.  At least they were made for women.  How in the world a designer who wins this season, may be one who's never dealt with a breast.  It would be laughable in any other season.

• Love 8

Though I liked ayana's crazy awesome outfit better  (a little overdesigned, but hey) I do think that Kenya's look met the challenge better and she should have won. Lemme go find some kool aid so that I can join the judges and be ok with that silly win.

• Love 10
34 minutes ago, TVFAN said:

Brandon doesn't even need to sew anything.  His outfits are all the same.  He should just recycle.  That having been said, I think he has the skills.  The problem is that the judges never push him to anything different.

I thought Ayanas look was great, but I would give this win to Kenya.  Hate the royal blue, but to me, her design symbolized that you can be completely feminine and still be a warrior.  Brandon's comment about making the warrior androgynous bugged me.

Kentaro's look was meh.  The tacky gold bodice ruined Margarita's look.  I think the basic dress and the idea of chaos had potential, but that bodice was horrid.

Because a true warrior woman has no breasts, and can never be feminine - except for pink.  Yes, pink means she's a girl, I mean woman, I mean powerful.

• Love 14

I would not have the slighest idea how to wear Brandon's clothes. Also I am one who was not blown away by the blouse by Anaya. Looked tortured and super uncmfortable to me. I would not be able to wear that thing for five minutes. Would rather squeeze my head into Kentaro's doll-sized turtleneck.

• Love 12
4 minutes ago, Whodunnit said:

Though I liked ayana's crazy awesome outfit better  (a little overdesigned, but hey) I do think that Kenya's look met the challenge better and she should have won. Lemme go find some kool aid so that I can join the judges and be ok with that silly win.

Make it lemonade flavor and add vodka.  With enough drinks I'm sure you will understand his genius.

• Love 13
14 minutes ago, backgroundnoise said:

Brandon thinks ice cream sandwiches are warrior? I love how he broke out of his muted color palette with ... light pink. 

Oh honey that was Millennial Pink didn't you know?  Please don't call it pink again.  (LOL)

• Love 15
21 minutes ago, Ms Blue Jay said:

Tim's so damn stubborn.  And Margarita wasn't even bullied like some of his other favourites.  If anything she's more of a Mean Girl herself.  LOL.  I don't know why he sees her as one of his projects.  I don't think there's much hope for her with like two weeks left.

Kenya ACTS all panicky but then she pulls it out.  She was in the top the past two weeks and good for her.  I'm really consistently happy with what she puts out.  Not ecstatic but definitely happy.

Ayana's top was great.  The outfit brought to mine a certain image, it was Rihanna performing once:

38C417F300000578-3806115-image-m-152_1474778380879.jpg

I like this outfit much more, especially the top.

• Love 3

I was busy doing something else, but here are my two knee-jerk reactions when I walked past the television:

For Margarita's, in the workroom:  "Yikes, are they doing a dancehall girl challenge?"

For Kentaro's, on the runway:  "Wow, are they doing a warrior challenge?"

So there you go.  It was a warrior challenge and that's exactly what the design said to me.

• Love 13
2 hours ago, Mindthinkr said:

I thought Swatch was going to go after Tim...he sure didn't like the whistle! 

Was TG wearing a track suit at Mood? Definitely not his usual look and frankly I like him better in his suits. 

Poor Swatch is so old and fat now.  I enjoy seeing the little guy, but I wonder if he'd be happier in a quieter environment.

• Love 5
1 hour ago, susannot said:

Liris really sold Kenya's look and she was gorgeous but I don't really think that was fashion.  Kentaro's looked like a fugly priest or nun.  Brandon did Brandon again. Margarita was still a prom dress.  That leaves Ayana's which was chic, well-made, tailored to  death, and Fashion!!!

First thing I thought was "80s prom dress" and way too literal.  And ugly. 

I wish Kentaro's first top would have fit.  I'd like to have seen what that looked like, although, if it had worked, it the judges would have had even more to compare with Brandon's because it was a crop top. 

• Love 5

I think someone posted on a different thread that PR producers sought out Brandon and encouraged him to audition? It now has become very obvious.

Although they did edit this episode to make Brandon seem arrogant. 

I think that this might be my last season. I quit during the Gretchen season, but regrettably returned.

I enjoyed watching Kentaro, but not much more. 

• Love 8