Type keyword(s) to search

S16.E11: Warrior Fashion

Drogo
  • Start Topic

8 hours ago, Diane Mars said:

WOW ! That's even a better one than the newspaper article I read 1 or 2 years ago <2

I loved this interview.  Tim surely believes he is an old fuddy duddy (as do I, in the best way possible), and I have enjoyed all his endeavors over the years except for that Gunn show on Lifetime a few years back, even the name escapes me now.   Under the Gunn or something? The cast was awful and the whole idea was off somewhat.   I feel badly that his personal and family life was difficult, but he is wise to know what works for him and abides by it.  I think he is a great teacher/mentor in real life and reality TV is as far away from that as you can get.

• Love 2
55 minutes ago, oceanview said:

Regarding Ashley, that whole season was a mess.   Tim has shown a lot more class and understanding in the past, but he's entitled to a slip. I suppose.     I think he was just horrified by her concepts, fabrics and designs and had nothing against her as a person.  I believe in m heart of hearts that he felt it was unfair to whomever should have won and  he just  lost it.  

I don't think he slipped.  He was enraged with the judges and rightfully so.  Nina said, "I voted for the concept."  He had every right to call them on the carpet for departing from the established format of giving the win to one who had the best collection.  His anger made sense to me.

As for Gretchen, that was a gray area and could be put in the subjective category.  Ashley could not!  

• Love 6
2 hours ago, Sesquipedalia said:

Not to get the thread too off into other seasons, but can someone point me to a source about why Gretchen won if it wasn't because they liked her designs? I assume Ashley is because they wanted the positive press created by having a plus-size collection?

I think it's somewhat legit to want something really different in the finale, which probably gives Ayana an advantage this season with her modest fashion. But she is also a very good designer and I feel will deserve whatever she gets.

Gretchen won because Nina would not give an inch!  I don't know who died and made her Queen, but that was how it looked to me.   I've been watching loyally since Season 1 and the same phrases and double standard that shows up from time to time drives me crazy

• Love 3
8 minutes ago, wings707 said:

I don't think he slipped.  He was enraged with the judges and rightfully so.  Nina said, "I voted for the concept."  He had every right to call them on the carpet for departing from the established format of giving the win to one who had the best collection.  His anger made sense to me.

As for Gretchen, that was a gray area and could be put in the subjective category.  Ashley could not!  

You make very valid points and I agree enraged is a perfect description.     Gretchen being a subjective decision is probably right.  I confess, her personality did nothing to change my mind about her.  I thought she was horrible to others and she  thought she was someone special

• Love 3
1 hour ago, oceanview said:

Regarding Ashley, that whole season was a mess.   Tim has shown a lot more class and understanding in the past, but he's entitled to a slip. I suppose.     I think he was just horrified by her concepts, fabrics and designs and had nothing against her as a person.  I believe in m heart of hearts that he felt it was unfair to whomever should have won and  he just  lost it.    There had been other questionable wins (I am looking at you Anya who  does not sew or make sleeves; but had a lock on great fabrics...  and Gretchen who made good things bad and bad things worse).  Even though Tim was not happy then, he handled it better perhaps.  He really is all for design, talent, teaching and mentoring, rather than judging and politics of reality TV, I believe

I liked Kenya's a lot and I thought of Leanne Marshall also.  But this as a little different and I thought it was lovely.  If she or Ayana had won, I would have been happier.  Ayana was a mystery to me at first, but she has gained confidence and is very talented.    Brandon could have come in as "second" and still be eligible for the win at the end.  I wish he had not won.  

Anya's win was an outrage.  She showed up for fashion week with nothing viable, so they gave everyone more money and sent them on a trip to Mood.  I don't care if Josh could be a bitch, he deserved the win because he could actually make clothes, and same for Viktor.  Either would have been a fair win.

• Love 7
On 10/26/2017 at 9:59 PM, mgmorris said:

Did anyone notice Nina's T-shirt?  Two men wearing crowns.  Any idea who she was wearing?

Dolce and Gabbana have that shirt in their “bambino” collection. 

No idea if it also comes in adult sizes, but the more petite people can get the kids’ shirt for a mere $195 plus tax and shipping. 

The conversation I had about “what the hell is she wearing” distracted me from the actual show.  And whatever Heidi had on made me think of King Tut.

• Love 2
17 minutes ago, oceanview said:

Gretchen won because Nina would not give an inch!  I don't know who died and made her Queen, but that was how it looked to me.   I've been watching loyally since Season 1 and the same phrases and double standard that shows up from time to time drives me crazy

It was Heidi and Jessica Simpson for Mondo, and Nina and the other judge (Michael Kors?) for Gretchen.

11 hours ago, Snappy said:

. He just thanks them for their imput, bows, and leaves. If only I could have a little of that ability.

When I read your post, my first thought was that grammar exercise about Eats shoots and leaves vs Eats, shoots, and leaves. 

Then my mind went down a whole little path with Kentaro as a bear eating, shooting and leaving.

13 hours ago, ElectricBoogaloo said:

I'm not as old as Helen Mirren but two years ago, I finally decided fuck it, I'm getting my hair done in galaxy colors because I don't care what anyone thinks about my hair. The upkeep is not as easy as before I started coloring my hair, but I still love it so it's been worth it. Luckily I work on a college campus so I didn't have to worry about getting fired for my hair color.

But I agree that an empowered woman wears whatever she wants, while this challenge seemed to be more "what what a woman wear if she wanted to appear powerful?" which is not the same thing. I know there are things in my wardrobe that make me feel more confident, so I get that you can design something to give the wearer that feeling 

You go girl with your rainbow hair!

Thing about "power clothes" , IMO, is that what makes one woman feel more confident might make another feel anything but. With any styles, some will feel they look good and others will feel they look like crap. I don't think there is a way to design clothes in general that "make women feel powerful". Boots and jeans make me strut my stuff and there's not much "design" to my cheap basic bootleg Lee jeans and the neutral color boots I got from the Marshall's clearance rack. Something completely different might have that affect on another person.

6 hours ago, wings707 said:

Tim does NOT like the judges.  His defending Margarita had more behind it than him just favoring her.  He had an attitude about it and it ties into Ashley's dumpster fire.  My guess is he sees the judges obvious bias toward Brandon and to a lesser degree Kentraro, to the exclusion of even looking at anyone else.   Same thing with Ashley, they decided she would win that was that. 

5 hours ago, wings707 said:

Tim is brutal!  I love this.  He cannot stand Zak.  Issac is worse.  

Trashed Nina, too.  I know it is a bother to listen to a podcast and I almost didn't.  This is must!  Tim thinks Heidi's taste is horrible (duh) and it does not sound like he likes her much at all.  

He misses Michael Kors.  I do too. 

There is a lot of tension on the set and put Harvey's scandal on top of that, this series is doomed.  I am not sure it will make it another season.  This could be the end.  

5 hours ago, Madding crowd said:

instead of trashing his co-workers maybe he should just leave the show. Fashion will always be subjective and just because someone doesn't like the same things you do, it doesn't mean they are wrong.

You beat me to it. I haven't listened to the podcast, but I'd have more respect for Tim's opinion if he hadn't done the same thing himself when he picked a favorite for Under the Gunn and became subsequently dismissive of other respectable contestants. My Tim love died with that show and his remarks to media afterwards defending himself and trashing that girl who made the steampunk dress with the cranks. NOthing he said she did was shown to us, and we saw a totally different contestant do all the things he said she did (difficulty getting her to stop working). Even if everything was true, it was totally classless for him to trash-talk a contestant that way.  He has a long history of friction with some contestants too, and it's not always because they are untalented or difficult. I don't love or hate him any more than any of the other whackadoodle celebrities on this show.

Edited by slothgirl
  • Love 3
2 hours ago, oceanview said:

Oh, I miss Tom and Lorenzo......they are still there, but when they stopped doing Project Runway per se, I sort of backed off my loyalty to them.  I should check them out and see if they do more that I like, as it has been a while.

They do their PR reviews in podcast form now. I know some people don't like the time commitment of a podcast, but I don't think I could clean my house without them now! I like it because they can disagree and discuss, which they really couldn't in the written review.

21 minutes ago, slothgirl said:

I think the thing about "power clothes" is that what makes one woman feel more confident might make another feel anything but. With any styles, some will feel they look good and others will feel they look like crap. I do't think there is a way to design clothes in general that "make women feel powerful". Boots and jeans make me strut my stuff and there's not much "design" to my cheap basic bootleg Lee jeans and the neutral color boots I got from the Marshall's clearance rack.

I think we were separated at birth.  Where is mom?  

Edited by wings707
  • Love 2
On 10/27/2017 at 1:21 PM, AuntieDiane6 said:

I didn't think his remarks were fair to Ashley.  If he was a great mentor, he should have at least been able to persuade her to cover THOSE PANTIES!

I remember Tim trying to tell Ashley how crappy her finale collection looked, but she ignored him. Maybe she knew it was a lock. 

1 hour ago, slothgirl said:

When I read your post, my first thought was that grammar exercise about Eats shoots and leaves vs Eats, shoots, and leaves. 

Then my mind went down a whole little path with Kentaro as a bear eating, shooting and leaving.

You go girl with your rainbow hair!

Thing about "power clothes" , IMO, is that what makes one woman feel more confident might make another feel anything but. With any styles, some will feel they look good and others will feel they look like crap. I don't think there is a way to design clothes in general that "make women feel powerful". Boots and jeans make me strut my stuff and there's not much "design" to my cheap basic bootleg Lee jeans and the neutral color boots I got from the Marshall's clearance rack. Something completely different might have that affect on another person.

You beat me to it. I haven't listened to the podcast, but I'd have more respect for Tim's opinion if he hadn't done the same thing himself when he picked a favorite for Under the Gunn and became subsequently dismissive of other respectable contestants. My Tim love died with that show and his remarks to media afterwards defending himself and trashing that girl who made the steampunk dress with the cranks. NOthing he said she did was shown to us, and we saw a totally different contestant do all the things he said she did (difficulty getting her to stop working). Even if everything was true, it was totally classless for him to trash-talk a contestant that way.  He has a long history of friction with some contestants too, and it's not always because they are untalented or difficult. I don't love or hate him any more than any of the other whackadoodle celebrities on this show.

I absolutely agree with you.  But I can't imagine a baby bonnet making a woman feel powerful.  By definition, it's an item made for a baby.  The only thing missing was a pacifier hanging from one of the strips.  It's infantilizing.  Can you imagine the designers being asked to make an outfit for a man to feel powerful, and one includes a baby bonnet?

• Love 7
17 minutes ago, micat said:

I feel like I can tell who here has played or at least encountered Assassin's Creed based on whether or not they are calling Brandon's hood a baby bonnet.

I just don't see it.  Assassin's Creed looks like a pretty bad ass hoodie/helmet.  Brandon's...looks like a baby bonnet. YMMV

1503585353-3385-card.jpgproject-runway-brandon-featured.jpg?w=62 

• Love 6

I like Brandon's designs, but agree that his outfits have been very similar. This time he did fit the brief, it was editorial, included pink and looked well made. He is only 24 and I think his future in design in bright. He seems kind to the other designers and roots for others. 

• Love 4
8 hours ago, wings707 said:

Tim is brutal!  I love this.  He cannot stand Zak.  Issac is worse.  

Trashed Nina, too.  I know it is a bother to listen to a podcast and I almost didn't.  This is must!  Tim thinks Heidi's taste is horrible (duh) and it does not sound like he likes her much at all.  

He misses Michael Kors.  I do too. 

There is a lot of tension on the set and put Harvey's scandal on top of that, this series is doomed.  I am not sure it will make it another season.  This could be the end.  

Poor Tim. They make him film a LOT of scenes with Heidi, in which they are supposed to look like they are having a blast with one another. 

I looked at photos of Gretchen's clothing. The colors are odd. The prints are puzzling. The garments seem dowdy, in my opinion. Nina liked it because she thought it was hipster chic? I am so confused. 

• Love 3
8 hours ago, hoodooznoodooz said:

Poor Tim. They make him film a LOT of scenes with Heidi, in which they are supposed to look like they are having a blast with one another. 

I looked at photos of Gretchen's clothing. The colors are odd. The prints are puzzling. The garments seem dowdy, in my opinion. Nina liked it because she thought it was hipster chic? I am so confused. 

I just looked at both the collections, too. Gretchen's was not horrible but rather lack luster.  I didn't get it at the time and still don't.  

Edited by wings707
  • Love 2
On 10/26/2017 at 9:03 PM, Shannon L. said:

I wish Kentaro's first top would have fit. 

10 hours ago, LADreamr said:

I know there's a lot of Kentaro love here, but I thought he was kind of a dick in this episode.  Deciding he would make the top he wanted to make, and then just stuff the model into it, and then surprised when he has to start over on the top, because apparently he didn't even consider her measurements when making it.  His personality just puts me off.  

I agree with @LADreamr here. His first top would have fit if he had taken the time to think of his model as his client, and create her clothes for her, not for himself.  That was a totally dick move and should have landed him in the bottom.

On 10/27/2017 at 9:51 PM, Mumbles said:

Other than crazy Morgan in season 1, I can’t think of a model who has gotten more attention on her personality than Liris, and she’s a bit full of herself.

Liris is everything.  I love her and her attitude.

• Love 4
5 hours ago, RedheadZombie said:

I absolutely agree with you.  But I can't imagine a baby bonnet making a woman feel powerful.  By definition, it's an item made for a baby.  The only thing missing was a pacifier hanging from one of the strips.  It's infantilizing.  Can you imagine the designers being asked to make an outfit for a man to feel powerful, and one includes a baby bonnet?

This is what I don't get, how is wonder woman bottom and baby bonnet first?  Plus Brandon just repeats himself anyway, he doesn't take risks, he knows they like the style he showed earlier so he just repeats it.

Edited by amazingracefan
  • Love 6
On 10/26/2017 at 10:46 PM, 303420 said:

I love love love Brandon's stuff and would wear it in a heartbeat. The only designer I've ever liked this much is Alexandria von Bromssen.

I know this isn't necessarily a popular opinion 'round here, but just wanted to represent that market. 

I love his stuff, too, and I can't wait to see his collection and possibly own a piece, even if it's just a dangling belt, lol! Yes, his aesthetic is so clear that it seems repetitive, but I see variation, and I'm always excited to see what he makes.  He is not perfect, but he's also not going to see his full potential on PR, nor will any of these designers. 

5 hours ago, RedheadZombie said:

I don't get baby bonnet, but I see why some do.

It reminded me of the cloth "bonnet" men would wear under their armor (I just checked & it's called a "medieval  arming cap" or just an "arming cap"). That is  exactly what came to mind when I saw the bonnet on Brandon's model. It's editorial, but I don't think anyone would argue that it translates to real life. Although I thought it was a nice nod, I wouldnt wear a bonnet--arming cap or otherwise, lol. 

Ayana has been a pleasure to watch. She's really impressed me! I thought her modesty might limit her options, but I am so happy to be wrong.

I'm enjoying this season (especially since Tweedle Dee and Tweedle Dum are gone.)

FWIW: I am also a cancer survivor (ovarian at age 19), and I agree with the sentiments about warriors, staying tough, strength, marginalizing others, etc. I donate, do walks, etc, but I am careful  --like y'all, I'm all about maximizing my donations/time & making sure they go to help patients and families rather than enriching executives. 

Someone mentioned hair loss, being reminded of that & the bad times, etc. This is just my perspective; others may feel differently:  Before I had my first treatment, I had a consult with my chemo nurse. I broke down crying when she told me I'd probably lose all of my hair. I loved my hair! I liked the way I looked! I was going to be hideous, wouldn't feel pretty, look manly, not feminine,  ashamed, etc.

Blech!!

I was so young, I truly wasn't shallow at all, but I was so worried about losing my damn hair. I think my initial focus/worry about superficial hair loss vs my life/death was a sort of denial.

Yep, I lost all of my lovely hair. Yes, it sucked losing my hair, it's emotional, and it's hard, BUT; after the initial shock and once the hair is gone, it really was the least of my worries. For me, I had a nice, custom-made wig...and I hated it. The day I ripped it off and went bald in public is the day I became a new person. My friends and family and I laughed, made jokes, I cried , I got mad, and I got through it. 

Being bald, chemo/side-effects (incl infertility), holidays in the hospital, being apart from the man I'd just married, ...nothing is going to remind me of the pain of any of that, because it just doesn't have that kind of effect on me anymore, and it hasn't for a long time. I truly focus on the fact that I am here. Those things hurt at the time, some haunted me for a long time , but at least they are memories and feelings I can experience ... and I'll take that because so many don't even survive. People are often hesitant to talk about that time in my life or ask questions about it when they want to, because they think it will upset me or bring back bad memories. Not so for me...As you can see by the vast amount of text. :-)  

Edited by Scorpiosunshine
  • Love 22
5 hours ago, hoodooznoodooz said:

I looked at photos of Gretchen's clothing. The colors are odd. The prints are puzzling. The garments seem dowdy, in my opinion. Nina liked it because she thought it was hipster chic? I am so confused

I got the impression Gretchen’s win was a producer decision and Nina and Michael Kors were forced to play along. During the episode before the finale, when the designers presented a three look preview of their collection, Nina called Gretchen’s looks crunchy granola and Nina’s face showed absolute disdain. She hated it. I don’t think Michael Kors was happy with it either. Gretchen didn’t change much for the finale, except for the shade of lipstick and some accessories. Then, suddenly Nina loves it. However, her face didn’t match her words. The compliments seemed very strained, as they did with Brandon’s look this episode. Someone in TPTB decided Gretchen was a better fit for their target audience and/or their sponsors and it blew up in their faces. That’s why we have a JCPenny accessory wall now. The show has been an embarrassment for a long time. 

• Love 4
5 hours ago, amazingracefan said:

But that's tight against the face, I doubt Brandon thought of that.

And none of the judges looked at it and said, "Ah . . . arming cap to be worn under a helmet."  They looked at it and said, "I don't 'get' the baby bonnet."  So even IF Brandon was "editorializing" an arming cap, he apparently failed.  And wouldn't he have said something if they called it a bonnet and he was going for arming cap?

• Love 2

It was Heidi and Jessica Simpson for Mondo, and Nina and the other judge (Michael Kors?) for Gretchen.

There have been controversial decisions all the way back to Season 2 when Chloe Dao won for her upholstery collection over Santino and Daniel ... Nina pushed for Chloe in part, because she wanted a woman to win ... 

• Love 1
On 10/26/2017 at 8:45 PM, PaulaO said:

Jesus H. Christ, the breast cancer trump card.  And I can say that because I had breast cancer.  But I hate the pink, hate the ribbon, hate the emotionalization of cancer.

I am also battling breast cancer and I love the support.  Anything that brings attention and funds to battling the disease is A OK in my book.  To each her own.

• Love 5
On 10/28/2017 at 8:28 AM, Diane Mars said:
  On 10/27/2017 at 9:56 AM, Midnight Cheese said:

... I think Tim largely uses his save in a fairly sincere manner.  This long podcast includes a ton of stuff indicating how much he disdains the judges for their superficial critiques, and how much he loves clothes/arts with historical referents (like Tim/M talking of the bodice with respect to QE 1.)

https://podfanatic.com/podcast/really-famous/episode/1-tim-gunn-interview

I finally got around to listening to Tim on this podcast. What a wonderful listen to.  Juicy bits about interpersonal work relationships.  And some insights into Tim, the person, as well.  Thanks to Midnight Cheese for this link.

• Love 3
11 hours ago, dwarmed said:

I got the impression Gretchen’s win was a producer decision and Nina and Michael Kors were forced to play along. During the episode before the finale, when the designers presented a three look preview of their collection, Nina called Gretchen’s looks crunchy granola and Nina’s face showed absolute disdain. She hated it. I don’t think Michael Kors was happy with it either. Gretchen didn’t change much for the finale, except for the shade of lipstick and some accessories. Then, suddenly Nina loves it. However, her face didn’t match her words. The compliments seemed very strained, as they did with Brandon’s look this episode. Someone in TPTB decided Gretchen was a better fit for their target audience and/or their sponsors and it blew up in their faces. That’s why we have a JCPenny accessory wall now. The show has been an embarrassment for a long time. 

Thank you so much for explaining this! I really appreciate it. It has baffled me for a long time. 

On 10/27/2017 at 2:24 AM, Sera Berlin said:

Reveal hidden contents

BUT when u go to the Fashion Week thread - u'll see Project Runway has decided to sent 5 designers + 1 mishmash collection of all designers this year to New York Fashion Week - so they have to carry Margarita through, also next week..

Also the secret winner of this season is in my eyes model MEISHA - week after week the designer who got her won - so often that I don't even remember the last winner look that she didn't walk down the runway - so there u see how much of a difference a good model can make - it can be everything... to be honest I think that's why Kentaro was so weak this week, his asthetics dont work with plus size models (same goes for Brandon imo) - Liris is a super strong model, u dont forget her outfit, she made some looks stand out this season but Jasmin was in the bottom quite regularly, more than not designers got eliminated when they had her - I think that is not fair for the designers who have weaker models, they should have all equal chances to show off their best work. so models in different sizes: yes! but only if every designer works on same size and they have equal chances every week.

I looked at Meisha Brooks' resume and get this:  She's was a mechanical engineering major at Harvard.  She says she's a designer so might we see the very first model turned contestant/designer on PR?  I agree that she has a chameleon quality that has served the designers well.  I somewhat disagree about Liris.  She makes the designs about Liris, whereas Meisha shows off the clothes.  Perhaps that's the downside of being a plus sized model, but at the same time, that's not her job.  If she wants to design, she should pick up a pen and do it herself.

• Love 8

None of the garments fit the category of warrior other than Kentaro's but that was not good fashion.  It was a stupid challenge.    

I find it hard to believe that no one in production sees the flaws and route to correct them.  They do not hear feedback because there is no arena for that to happen.   SM is full of haters so it is ignored. They need constructive criticism from fans if they can't see what is wrong themselves.   They only need to go back and watch the Bravo seasons to get this back on track.  

I think this show is circulating the drain especially after hearing Tim's podcast.  

Edited by wings707
  • Love 1
3 minutes ago, wings707 said:

None of the garments fit the category of warrior other than Kentaro but that was not good fashion.  It was a stupid challenge.    

I find it hard to believe that no one in production sees the flaws and route to correct them.  They do not hear feedback because there is no arena for that to happen.   SM is full of haters so it is ignored. They need constructive criticism from fans if they can't see what is wrong themselves.   They only need to go back and watch the Bravo seasons to get this back on track.  

I think this show is circulating the drain especially after hearing Tim's podcast.  

The ratings are good and this season notched not only pages and pages of discussion but also great passion about character and design.  People are always saying how they're finished with PR and yet come back season after season.  The "constructive criticism" from the fans means absolutely nothing if they're still watching and reacting to it.

• Love 3
1 minute ago, gingerormaryann said:

The ratings are good and this season notched not only pages and pages of discussion but also great passion about character and design.  People are always saying how they're finished with PR and yet come back season after season.  The "constructive criticism" from the fans means absolutely nothing if they're still watching and reacting to it.

Yes, that is a problem with all reality shows.  We are addicted to reality TV and the particular shows we have been watching since day one.  The ratings will always be high because we won't stop watching as long as it is on the air.  It doesn't mean it is good.  Clearly sponsors are paying attention to the quality as are guest judges.  They are not getting big names with either of those. 

The number of pages here means nothing other than we all love to chat.  Lol!  It is fun to discuss this show even if it is disappointing.  

I have never said I am finished with PR but when I see that I just assume it is another way to voice disgust and is not necessarily the truth.  

• Love 2
13 hours ago, Scorpiosunshine said:

Yep, I lost all of my lovely hair. Yes, it sucked losing my hair, it's emotional, and it's hard, BUT; after the initial shock and once the hair is gone, it really was the least of my worries. For me, I had a nice, custom-made wig...and I hated it. The day I ripped it off and went bald in public is the day I became a new person. My friends and family and I laughed, made jokes, I cried , I got mad, and I got through it. 

Being bald, chemo/side-effects (incl infertility), holidays in the hospital, being apart from the man I'd just married, ...nothing is going to remind me of the pain of any of that, because it just doesn't have that kind of effect on me anymore, and it hasn't for a long time. I truly focus on the fact that I am here. Those things hurt at the time, some haunted me for a long time , but at least they are memories and feelings I can experience ... and I'll take that because so many don't even survive. People are often hesitant to talk about that time in my life or ask questions about it when they want to, because they think it will upset me or bring back bad memories. Not so for me...As you can see by the vast amount of text. :-)  

When my mother was undergoing chemo and had already lost her hair, she was in the waiting room at one point with a new woman who was crying over the potential of losing her hair. My mother said to her "If I had known how much easier my life would be without hair, I would have shaved it YEARS ago! It's fabulous. I can spend the day outside in the yard, take a shower, wash my head, put on my already styled hair and go out!"

Of course, she had super-curly hair in the humid deep south that is a constant battle against "Caucasian afro" level frizz. And yes, I inherited "the hair" from her. Hopefully I won't inherit her breast cancer.

30 minutes ago, wings707 said:

SM is full of haters so it is ignored.

What is SM?

• Love 5

I used to respect Nina, but in the past few seasons she's argued for some crazy stuff that isn't (IMO) good fashion, or even interesting.  She was recently appointed Editor in Chief of Elle, and one of her first actions was to lift the ban on creepo photographer Terry Richardson.  So, for that alone, she goes on my "do not respect" list.

Edited by MartyQui
Grammar
  • Love 5

Big happy hugs to Scorpiosushine! And can I say how much I love your "handle?" As a Scorpio, I'm so used to people hearing that and giving me the "warding off evil" sign. Scorpiosunshine is such a great play on that.

Love Meisha. I think she's the real star of the models this season. She works with it with a wink and hip flip not stomping. Seems like such a nice non-diva-y person, too.

Heh, slothgirl. I have curly hair, and I'll never live in a tropical humid climate!

• Love 2
1 hour ago, MartyQui said:

I used to respect Nina, but in the past few seasons she's argued for some crazy stuff that isn't (IMO) good fashion, or even interesting.  She was recently appointed Editor in Chief of Elle, and one of her first actions was to lift the ban on creepo photographer Terry Richardson.  So, for that alone, she goes on my "do not respect" list.

I have always like Nina, too.   What killed that love was Ashley's season.  It was very clear from the beginning she wanted her to win.  She liked showing off her progressive attitude.   We know Tim doesn't like her and I would put money down on Zak feeling the same way.  

10 minutes ago, carrps said:

Big happy hugs to Scorpiosushine! And can I say how much I love your "handle?" As a Scorpio, I'm so used to people hearing that and giving me the "warding off evil" sign. Scorpiosunshine is such a great play on that.

Love Meisha. I think she's the real star of the models this season. She works with it with a wink and hip flip not stomping. Seems like such a nice non-diva-y person, too.

Heh, slothgirl. I have curly hair, and I'll never live in a tropical humid climate!

I get that.  I am a Sagittarius and a roommate I had was a Scorpio.  It was in the late 60s when everyone was asking your sign all the time.  I would always be met with smiles and glee!  Everyone seemed to love a Sagittarius.  She got the a variety of the hex sign responses.  She changed her sign to Libra for the causal inquiries.   LOL!  

• Love 3
2 hours ago, wings707 said:

The number of pages here means nothing other than we all love to chat.  Lol!  It is fun to discuss this show even if it is disappointing.  

I have never said I am finished with PR but when I see that I just assume it is another way to voice disgust and is not necessarily the truth.  

Of course we ALL love to chat, but the fact is that there are far more pages means more chat and the passion that so many have expressed concerning Claire, Michael, Margarita, Brandon, etc. suggests that the audiences have been pulled into this season.  People always say they're through with PR, especially if there is an unpopular win, like Gretchen over Mondo.  The show is on Season 16 and the landscape of Reality TV is completely different from the early Bravo years.  Want to remake those years?  Remember Bravo's "The Fashion Show" which even had Fern Malis as a judge.  It failed after two seasons.  Regardless of what is often said, PR still has an audience that enjoys their product and it's unlikely they're going to listening to constructive criticism from the fans who are still watching.

I love project runway and don't want it to go away. Other design shows have been tried but are never as good. I have watched since the beginning and there are always some designers I like more than others but I'm always happy when Thursday rolls around and PR in on. 

• Love 10
57 minutes ago, Madding crowd said:

I love project runway and don't want it to go away. Other design shows have been tried but are never as good. I have watched since the beginning and there are always some designers I like more than others but I'm always happy when Thursday rolls around and PR in on. 

I absolutely agree even though I like to suggest improvements!  

• Love 5

Ok, I have held off, but can contain myself no longer.  Margarita? Really?  Has no one at all noticed her.....look...featured what looked like blood exploding from the corset????  Yuck. My mother died from breast cancer, I have gone in for a biopsy, and fabric blood coming out from breasts during a warrior challenge is misguided at best. Personally, I was disgusted.  Find 

a better metaphor, margarita.  You are dead to me now... 

• Love 5
3 hours ago, slothgirl said:

When my mother was undergoing chemo and had already lost her hair, she was in the waiting room at one point with a new woman who was crying over the potential of losing her hair. My mother said to her "If I had known how much easier my life would be without hair, I would have shaved it YEARS ago! It's fabulous. I can spend the day outside in the yard, take a shower, wash my head, put on my already styled hair and go out!"

Of course, she had super-curly hair in the humid deep south that is a constant battle against "Caucasian afro" level frizz. And yes, I inherited "the hair" from her. Hopefully I won't inherit her breast cancer.

What is SM?

I normally wear my hair quite short but even so, I too found it liberating to be hairless after chemo - much to my shock! What I did hate, though, was losing my brows and eyelashes. Having a bald head can be a choice, but no eyebrows and lashes made me look ill. This was ironic because I actually felt pretty good - I tolerated chemo pretty well. 

I definitely would not have been into wearing a baby bonnet or any of the other "looks" that loaded up the wearer with layers, straps, constricting parts. I needed to feel as unencumbered as possible. And I am never into any "empowerment" look that relies on emphasizing breasts, especially now that I have to strap a pillow onto my chest each day (I am not a good reconstruction candidate).i will go with jeans and boots, as some said upthread. 

Edited by Tabbygirl521
  • Love 5
On October 27, 2017 at 6:34 PM, PrincessSteel said:

If anyone was dinged for copying someone else's look, it should've been Brandon for covering his model's head. That's Anaya's signature. 

Ha  ha yeah she has the rights to the fashion of much of the Muslim world. You're right the whole idea of someone's look is ridiculous.

On October 27, 2017 at 9:46 PM, Lamb18 said:

I thought Ayana should have won.

I kind of liked Kenya's. The color was amazing on Liris. But there was this weird puckering around the hips, the dress wasn't sitting smoothly on them.  Also Leanne Marshall was the petal-master.

Glad Ayana didn't win. She is getting rather smug ( to be honest most are) and it grates. Kenya's looked cheap and too 80's for me.

On October 27, 2017 at 9:57 PM, slothgirl said:

Ayana's top reminded me of an over-the-top version of a blouse I coveted from teh Royal Silk catalog (anybody else remember them?) back in the mid-late 80's. I still want it even though it would be dated.

It reminded me of something from the Seinfeld "puffy shirt" collection. 

Edited by staphdude

I feel like I'm living in an alternate universe from many of you here, and I say that with all respect. I LOVE this forum and all of you posters and I'm frankly a little disconcerted at a bit of the snarkiness that has been aimed at people for say, accidentally misspelling or mistyping or plain not being sure of, a certain name. I watch this every week, even though I've tried to quit it before, obviously without much success... but I watch while doing 14 other things, as many of us do, so from time to time I'm unsure of the actual name or spelling of said name, of a reality contestant I have seen once a week for eight weeks. Also, if you post from your mobile, it's easy to fat finger or maybe your thoughts just get ahead of your fingers, and voila! Mistake.

But I digress....

Brandon: so many varied opinions of him here, which is awesome. People are different!... which makes us the collection of Christmas boxes that we all are, in many shapes and sizes. Some with bows, some with glitter, some just in plain brown wrapping because we came via US mail. Personally, I do not hate his looks, nor do I love them. I wouldn't buy them, even if they were pared down from the extreme fat flying/hangy downy things because I don't really care much for the look of athletic clothes. Also, I hate baby pink. I am from the south and I love color, but I really love COLOR, so that "millennial" pink - or as I'm now calling it: PINK AF - does nothing for me at all. Ditto the baby green that was the color of the walls in my parochial school. He's definitely building a collection and he's probably the designated winner, and I won't hate that he wins, but I won't love it either. Am I going to stop watching? Well, I didn't stop after Ashley, so probably not.

Kenya and Liris: I'm putting them together because the judges seem to give Liris as much consideration as one of the designers.... reason? I don't know. I loved the work Kenya did and the dress, while not perfect, was pretty and Liris looked great in it, which to my mind, is a tribute to Kenya and being able to design for shapes, more than it is a tribute to Liris. Hated the blue shadow with the blue dress. And I love, love, LOVE, a red lip, but not with cobalt blue eye shadow. Still the judges seem to love Kenya and I love her too so I'm not mad at them for not beating her up more for a few of her more questionable looks. Loved what Kenya said about the shoulder treatment and how it represents all the things women have on their shoulders. Wish she had said that to the judges and not just in her TH.

Kentaro: My personal favorite and just a lovely human being. But, that said, perhaps, not a great designer. I have loved some looks here and there, but the last two were just awful. Still, I'm holding out hope he can pull a rabbit out of his butt and make it to fashion week, at least. I'm still wishing he or Ayana might pull off the win, but I'm not holding out hope for THAT either.....

Ayana: Has really surprised me. The first few things she made, I was like, oh they're just long and long sleeved, but why so tight and oh gawd sparkles on a long tight dress... omg I'm going to hate this designer and head scarfs!!! How can the runway actually be "anonymous"??? She has done some nice things and I like her personally so I'm rooting hard for her. I think she's a decent person and that sometimes means more in business than being the bestest designerest ever, even though I think she's pretty darn good. Fern Mallis said, "Never underestimate the act of being kind."

Margarita: Don't hate her. As someone else, or several someones, said previously, just because we may say we don't like her actions in a certain situation does not mean we hate her. I have disliked a couple things she's said, mostly about the model she had that week, who had been soooo excited to work with her. Think she handled the twin tape measure thing badly, but the reality is, twin cheated and should have gone home, so it's hard to hate Margarita for facilitating that. I don't really care if I don't have a sense of "who she is as a designer." It would be nice, but it's not a deal breaker for me. I think she's wildly inconsistent in how good her stuff is and still cannot believe that Starlight Express costume she did last week, or week before, was praised by the judges. But then, I question Nina Garcia's taste.

The Tim Gunn Save officially came about after season 11, for those of you who don't remember. Michelle was about to be booted and sent home and Tim appealed to Heidi and producers, asking them to give her another chance. Then she won the next challenge and, ultimately, of course, won the season. The save was made part of the festivities after that because Heidi said in some interview that they realized Tim may see some potential which they don't always get to recognize.

Tim's barely tolerable to me these days, after UTG, and after reading so much of what he's said in the media. My favorite thing about him is how he seems to truly adore Swatch. Totally agree with him about Gretchen, Ashley, et. al., but he seems so graceless in the way he says certain things and how often he bitches about the judges, and even Isaac, who's not even a judge on PR Original Recipe. Although, honestly, I don't blame him for hating Isaac. Isaac has said and done some fairly appalling things himself. Tim SWEARS he fired an employee for wearing brown. Or maybe it was a UPS driver who stopped by to deliver a package. This is the perfect spot for me to comment about Gretchen versus Mondo, season 8, and I will just say as much as I did not care for Gretchen's collection, it didn't offend me, and while neither did Mondo's, his finale collection was surprisingly juvenile. I think that's what turned off Nina and Kors. I LOVED it, but I could see what they were saying at the time. And even though I loved it, I saw none of the brilliance which he bestowed on us that entire season, prior to fashion week.

Finally, I don't think anyone watching, and especially posting here at previously, hates this show. I've said this before, but I'll say it again. We watch because we love, or because we can't tear ourselves away. Some may hate watch, but that's not the feeling I get from reading every single one of these posts, every week. It's disappointing the show is not what it used to be, but it's still a show we're attached to so we'll keep watching. And, it's still one of the better long-running reality shows out there. Meanwhile, this is America folks, for now anyway, and if people want to watch and criticize, they have the freedom to do that. I love all of you and thank you for bothering to stop by and read my soapbox treatise. :)

Edited by PepperMonkey
  • Love 9