Type keyword(s) to search

Joy and Austin: This One Time At Family Camp

• Start Topic

28 minutes ago, DragonFaerie said:

Many of them, including some of their own children and grandkids, will need to drive 20-45 minutes to get home on dark roads and then get their kids bathed and changed and into bed. 

Quite the optimist aren't you that they'll bathe and change the children.  :)  

• Love 24
5 minutes ago, madpsych78 said:

I don't know if this is the picture that was speculated to be Anna, but I think it's Mrs. Swanson. That being said, if it is Lana, that is unexpected that she is wearing capris instead of a skirt. I guess we don't know that much about the Swansons, but I thought they were a skirt- and dress-wearing family.

Whomever it is with the striped skirt and their back to us, needs to get the female formulation of Minoxidil IMO.  That is some wide hair part.  (I say this as someone who has always had thick hair, and find I lose a lot over the past couple of years in my 40s.) 

(edited)

Jill needs to look long and hard at the picture of Giddie. That expression is adorable on an infant. A grown ass woman taking a selfie, not so much.

Edited by GeeGolly
  • Love 7
19 minutes ago, madpsych78 said:

I don't know if this is the picture that was speculated to be Anna, but I think it's Mrs. Swanson. That being said, if it is Lana, that is unexpected that she is wearing capris instead of a skirt. I guess we don't know that much about the Swansons, but I thought they were a skirt- and dress-wearing family.

That's Mrs. Swanson.  Her husband bears a spooky resemblance to my BIL so I can spot them easily.

17 minutes ago, queenanne said:

Whomever it is with the striped skirt and their back to us, needs to get the female formulation of Minoxidil IMO.  That is some wide hair part.  (I say this as someone who has always had thick hair, and find I lose a lot over the past couple of years in my 40s.) 

I belive that is Grandma Mary.

• Love 6
42 minutes ago, Heathen said:

It looks like Mary to me, too. Not surprising that her hair is thinning at her age. 

She usually wears a wig when she knows she's going to be photographed.  

I can't believe that little kids are up at 10:50pm and there's some party going on. It's just not good for them to be up and out at those times.

I also think that's Mary Duggar from behind. Perhaps it's not a 'balding part' in her hair, but gray roots underneath being exposed. That could create the illusion of 'no hair' from a distance, since gray hair is light. either way, Grandma Mary's hair isn't natural looking at all and her style needs an update; not as desperately as her daughter in law, Michelle. I wonder how many boxes is hair color Michelle needs at one time to cover the gray on her head? She too, now needs over a foot of hair chopped off, at least. Can't she see how awful she looks? She's photographed enough to notice how she looks. I don't understand why she continues to 'like to punish herself' by looking awful in public.

• Love 6

Dark, flat colors are harsh on older people, anyway. Look at Loretta Lynn or the late June Carter Cash. (Also see: overlong hair does not look good on older women, Mullet.) 

On ‎7‎/‎19‎/‎2018 at 10:41 AM, Ijustwantsomechips said:

They really should just hang ziploc bags of water outside.  As a kid I laughed at my grandma for doing it, but it works like a charm. 

But don't you need to add pennies?  I volunteer at an animal shelter, and those things really control the flies.

I'm a big DYIer, and my kids were usually right by my side. But there were a few times I wouldn't have them around depending on what I was doing. Gideon has tiny little lungs and there is no way to control the fine dust particles that spreading gravel puts into the air. Not to mention Gideon's Austin like nostrils to let all that shit in.

I wonder if Austin is building the family homestead and will flip the house they're in.

• Love 7
On 7/21/2018 at 6:28 AM, floridamom said:

I also think that's Mary Duggar from behind. Perhaps it's not a 'balding part' in her hair, but gray roots underneath being exposed. That could create the illusion of 'no hair' from a distance, since gray hair is light.

I was coming here to say the same thing. I have tons of thick hair, but I have a very prominent, difficult-to hide whorl on the crown of my head. When my white roots are showing badly, it can look like a bald patch. 

29 minutes ago, xwordfanatik said:

Holy crap, sandals for spreading gravel?  Get outta here.

Giddyup is getting cuter.  He looks like a happy baby.  

Joy should invest in a decent pair of work boots and keep them in the trunk of the car, just in case.  What a waste of a perfectly nice pedicure! 

I keep my OR shoes in my car as well as a spare pair of sneakers in case I get called to the OR or my feet are hurting.  It isn't that hard.

• Love 9
43 minutes ago, doodlebug said:

Joy should invest in a decent pair of work boots and keep them in the trunk of the car, just in case.  What a waste of a perfectly nice pedicure! 

I keep my OR shoes in my car as well as a spare pair of sneakers in case I get called to the OR or my feet are hurting.  It isn't that hard.

Totally agree. It's a wonder no Duggar has ever had foot injuries, since they insist on wearing inappropriate footwear for everything.

I used to keep a pair of closed-toed sneakers in my desk in case I was wearing sandals and the FDA showed up (worked in biopharmaceuticals and you can't go into the plant in open-toed shoes). It's not rocket surgery to plan ahead like that but it does seem that Duggars never do.

• Love 6
51 minutes ago, galaxychaser said:

Gideon is too skinny. 

Looking forward to @doodlebug's opinion. My first born was very skinny.  He didn't triple his birth weight and was on the very bottom of the growth curve.  He ate.  He had regular pediatric checkups.  He always met his developmental milestones.  He walked at 8 months.  He is now a 50 year old chubby adult!  College graduate, father of 3.  His wife is a great baker.  So explains the chubby!  I think it is possible for a baby to be well fed and lean.  PS, he has great teeth, no cavities.  Sample of one, though.  So will see what doodlebug says.

• Love 16

I wonder if Giddyup is just a naturally slim baby.  Some are. Maybe ge takes after his dad in that regard.  I also wonder if Joy has any feeding issues, needs to supplement, or if it’s time for solids.  I could see the Duggars in their infinite wisdom assuming he’s eating enough based on the size of Joy’s booby doobies.  Logic like big jugs= high milk volume.  Would she even know to speak to a professional about this, or know the signs especially if her mom or sisters didn’t have those issues?  Based on what I’ve seen on tv, she doesn’t seem like she would assert her concerns as strongly as someone like Jessa.  Would Austin pick up on issues or is that wimmin’ talk?  She’s kind of isolated, and a clueless kid so I hope she has th support she needs.  

• Love 3
On 7/11/2018 at 4:04 PM, andromeda331 said:

Oh, I'm sure he does. He got a cheerleader to marry him. A cheerleader. That's a huge ego boost. He can't stop bragging to everyone that he got a cheerleader to marry him and bragging about how many times he got her pregnant.    

Well,maybe the cheerleader said  Rah,rah,rah when JB said hey,hey,hey. :)

• Love 4
2 hours ago, galaxychaser said:

Gideon is too skinny. 

My nephew was naturally rail thin, but even as a baby he was way more filled out than Gideon. Hopefully Joy is taking him for check-ups.

It's nice to see Joy willing to get her hands dirty, but IMO, babies don't belong at constructions sites. If she wants to work with Austin, she needs to find a sitter.

• Love 6

I'm glad she likes working with Austin and I think that fits Joy's spirit much better than if she had married someone that wanted her in the house all day.  Giddyup appears clean and happy.  But for the love of the Gods woman, I agree with all the others, keep a set of work shoes in the car.  How these people have not had crushed, broken or cut/punctured feet with the crappy shoes they wear everywhere is beyond me.  

I'm also hoping as someone speculated that Austin is building their homestead and then they can sell the flipped house and not have to live at one of Boob's properties that he's quickly running out of.

• Love 9

Of course Jill and Derelick are going to need a place to live in like a week, and Si and Lauren need a place, and I think JD owns a place of his own but if he's been renting it out, hopefully the lease will be up and they can do repairs and such before he and Abbie need to move in.  I wonder who's in the pool house or the McMansion that Jill and Derelick started in?  Hmmm.  Of course if he keeps filling the rental houses with family members that don't work, that means he has no income in which to cover the property taxes, insurance and upkeep on those houses so at some point folks are going to have to pay rent.

• Love 1
(edited)

Boob sold the McMansion during the Dullard's missioncation. That's why they came back to live in the Pool House. Mary owns that. Maybe that's where they're stashing SiRen now. Don't want them to get too far off the reservation and form their own set of ideas....

Edited by Sew Sumi
  • Love 5
5 hours ago, kokapetl said:

@doodlebug, we need your professional opinion. 

All my kids have been skinny from the time they were babies

I can’t count the number of times I was told to feed my babies/kids 

Those words are never nice to hear when you DO feed your kid so 

• Love 16

Giddy does look skinny IMO and I think that emphasizes some of his more sharp features.  I always think chunkier babies look cuter.  But as long as he is happy and healthy that’s all that matters.

So it looks like Giddy is sitting in a bugaboo in the car?  Did she transfer him from his car seat to the bugaboo so that she can stay to help her husband?  Who is watching the baby while his parents are working?

• Love 1
26 minutes ago, DkNNy79 said:

So it looks like Giddy is sitting in a bugaboo in the car?  Did she transfer him from his car seat to the bugaboo so that she can stay to help her husband?  Who is watching the baby while his parents are working?

And wouldn't it get awfully hot in the car on a sunny 90 degree day even if they had all the windows/doors open? I mean, he'd have the shade of the car roof and cross ventilation at least, but I can't imagine it would be comfortable for him for any length of time.

He realy does look like an uncommonly happy and patient baby, though.

• Love 5
(edited)

Cars get dangerously hot!  I hope she didn't leave him to swealter in there!

I think  the reason we worry about his thinness is because he was 10 lb at birth.

Edited by louannems
  • Love 3

It does seem odd that such a big baby would now be thin...but I'm no medical professional.  He just seems happy and smiley.

Hot cars and kids/pets are a huge safety concern.  I too hope Giddyup was not left in the car while Joy worked.  I don't know what the temps are like in their area, but here it's predicted to be 100° for several days to come.  Even with the windows open, here it's not safe even for a few minutes.

• Love 2
56 minutes ago, DkNNy79 said:

Giddy does look skinny IMO and I think that emphasizes some of his more sharp features.  I always think chunkier babies look cuter.  But as long as he is happy and healthy that’s all that matters.

Maybe Joy worked while Austin ate his lunch and watched Gideon. 

1 hour ago, xwordfanatik said:

It does seem odd that such a big baby would now be thin...but I'm no medical professional.  He just seems happy and smiley.

Hot cars and kids/pets are a huge safety concern.  I too hope Giddyup was not left in the car while Joy worked.  I don't know what the temps are like in their area, but here it's predicted to be 100° for several days to come.  Even with the windows open, here it's not safe even for a few minutes.

My youngest was 9 1/2 lbs at birth, and in the 25%ile for weight by six months.  She ate, slept well, and hit all her milestones, so I never worried. Even at 7, she’s still pretty tiny. Birth size doesn’t really equate to body type. He looks happy and healthy, so I’m going to guess he’s ok.  

• Love 11
6 hours ago, Fostersmom said:

She probably left the car running and the ac on

First I thought that was a good idea but now the worry mom is coming out in me. I would never leave him alone even with A/c on & doors open & windows down.  Things happen.

Why couldn't she put a lightweight Tshirt on him? Bare baby skin against a plastic seat doesn't seem comfortable to me but at least he does look happy. 

• Love 2

In her video, Joy says that it's really hot outside there. I don't think it was the best thing for Giddyup to be out there with her at all. I also noticed that Joy did not look happy. Her eyes said something completely different to me. She posted this video with NO real enthusiasm there from her. I don't think she's really happy at all. They were raised to never 'complain' about anything. These women always seem to have to make up a quick justification for everything. She says how hot it is, then says, well, I'm getting some exercise...they can't complain or really do what they want to do. I just don't think she wanted to be out there. Sad, if you ask me.

• Love 1

Yes, I agree with floridamom that Joy didn't seem happy. That was some weird video for me.

Gideon isn't conventionally cute, but he can still change. I don't want to talk about skinny, because my son was like that. Just didn't want to eat and didn't care for food. He is 4 now, and still the same. It's frustrating when you can't feed your baby, he just does not want to eat

Again, not from America so learning opportunity... that chair is ok for the baby? Isn't he too young for it? 

Here they do not encourage babies to sit until they sit themselves up. Mine is 6 and a half month, still not near that. So no sitting for her, not even with support of pillows or chairs. 

• Love 2
2 minutes ago, Snow Fairy said:

Yes, I agree with floridamom that Joy didn't seem happy. That was some weird video for me.

Gideon isn't conventionally cute, but he can still change. I don't want to talk about skinny, because my son was like that. Just didn't want to eat and didn't care for food. He is 4 now, and still the same. It's frustrating when you can't feed your baby, he just does not want to eat

Again, not from America so learning opportunity... that chair is ok for the baby? Isn't he too young for it? 

Here they do not encourage babies to sit until they sit themselves up. Mine is 6 and a half month, still not near that. So no sitting for her, not even with support of pillows or chairs. 

That seat is supposed to be used on the floor, not an elevated surface. Originally, it did not come with a tray. Now it does, and if you have an older one, you can get a tray for it. It is suggested a child be able to hold their head steady.

”CPSC and Bumbo International are aware of at least 45 incidents in which infants fell out of Bumbo seat while it was being used on an elevated surface. These incidents happened after an October 2007 voluntary recall of the product to add a warning on the front of the seat against use on elevated surfaces.” Nov 22, 2011

A2D3740A-38A8-404B-AF8C-95ADC33A4EED.jpeg

4 hours ago, Barb23 said:

First I thought that was a good idea but now the worry mom is coming out in me. I would never leave him alone even with A/c on & doors open & windows down.  Things happen.

Why couldn't she put a lightweight Tshirt on him? Bare baby skin against a plastic seat doesn't seem comfortable to me but at least he does look happy. 

Yep, my sentiments exactly.  Also alone in the car sitting in the bugaboo I feel is dangerous.  Hopefully someone was in there with him, whether it was Austin or Joy.

• Love 5