Type keyword(s) to search

Joy and Austin: This One Time At Family Camp

• Start Topic

5 minutes ago, ChiCricket said:

That's very different to me. I have never been to an after the baby's born shower. :)

I had some Indian coworkers tell me that was pretty common, plus I’m sure waiting for visas for visiting relatives extended the timelines a bit too. 

• Love 1
33 minutes ago, Arwen Evenstar said:

No, there was a time that anything could happen and no one took it for granted.  It’s still considered premature in some countries to have a celebration until after the Baby is born or has reached a certain age.  So, no, you aren’t being weird.

This is how it is/was in my tradition (Jewish) but modern mothers unless they are more religious don't do this.  I had nothing in my house til the baby was born and then my mother went out to get the necessities.  She told her friends about the baby and some of them gave me gifts. I didn't want it to be a grab situation so that's all I would do.  Bear in mind, my "baby" is turning 50!!

• Love 10
5 hours ago, Portia said:

Maybe I'm showing my own shallowness here,  but I was surprised that Austin's tribute to his wife didn't include any mention of his wife's attractiveness. I'm happy my husband loves me for my intellect,  but it's also important to me that he thinks I'm a hottie.  ? I don't mind Austin including all the spiritual stuff in the birthday post since that's what is expected in their world. But couldn't he have at least thrown in the word "pretty"? His post seems oddly passionless to me,  especially considering they're newlyweds. "Happy birthday,  Buddy!"

Yeah, but that "first look" video from before the wedding definitely gave the impression that he's completely smitten with her. I don'thave the stomach to re=watch it at the moment, but it seems that he spent a good amount of time in raptures over her beauty. Or at least that was the general impression. So even if he's traded that in for the spiritual stuff in this particular case, I'd say that the chances are that at least for the moment she is still feeling attractive in private. I do hope he doesn't lose that sense, though...it IS kinda important to at least some of us women...

• Love 3
2 hours ago, lookeyloo said:

This is how it is/was in my tradition (Jewish) but modern mothers unless they are more religious don't do this.  I had nothing in my house til the baby was born and then my mother went out to get the necessities.  She told her friends about the baby and some of them gave me gifts. I didn't want it to be a grab situation so that's all I would do.  Bear in mind, my "baby" is turning 50!!

I was just going to make a similar comment. A Jewish friend/co-worker declined a baby shower years ago for this reason. 

• Love 1
4 hours ago, ChiCricket said:

That's very different to me. I have never been to an after the baby's born shower. :)

I went to one when I was a kid. My mom's friend had quads two boys and two girls. She had been on bedrest for months all the way up to the birth and there was some worry over the birth. So her sister waited until after they were born to throw a baby shower for her. I will say it made shopping for the babies a lot more easier. You already knew if it was a boy or girl and what size they were for clothes. It was so much fun. The new mom was so excited that she didn't have to wait a few weeks for her babies to try on their cute clothes. They could try them on that very day.     

Edited by andromeda331
  • Love 6
15 hours ago, Sew Sumi said:

Wow, the author of this article is clueless. They dumped College Minus years ago. The quotes from Moochelle are years old. 

Bet the leghumpers ate it up as truth.

I guess this is why some people admire the Duggars. In their minds they recreate the Duggars in their own image. And then they admire the fact that that image has a tv show.

My favorite line in the article is this:   "The Duggars have been persistent in blazing their own trails when it comes to education, so it isn't a far leap to believe that Joy-Anna will follow suit."  Which trails are these, pray tell? I guess she's probably referring to home schooling (which includes scenic drives through the countryside for the Duggars, according to her). But since they've all done the same thing, I'm not sure how many trails were blazed. 

• Love 17
7 hours ago, latetotheparty said:

There is Derick being an asshole in the group shot.  JFC. 

What is with that fist in the air pose half of them are doing? Awkward AF

And yea, she looks preggo to me. Her hair is a tragedy also. So bad.

• Love 10

Joy-Anna’s dress looked better on film than in pictures. In motion you could see the details. However her hair looks a hot mess. Like “I’m running to target for toothpaste” hot mess. Jessa managed to wear her hair loose and it still looked nice. 

• Love 4
3 hours ago, xwordfanatik said:

They didn't crop out Smuggar?  Shocking.  

I don't get the fist in the air thing, either.

Dillweed the show-off asshole.

Wonder if he was put up to that.  But, at least he wasn’t wearing his busted sandals and shorts and t shirt.  Dirty Jesus had to dress up for this one.

• Love 1
13 hours ago, Rabbittron said:

DuggarWedding_JonCourvillePhotography-8.

“Pasty guys with dishwater hair, stand on the left, pasty dishwater haired guys with weird shaped heads, you're in the back row. People holding babies, stand around Josh and see if you can hide him. Joy, try to hide Justin’s attempted smoove teen smile with your bouquet. What? It’s the bundle of flowers you’re holding.”

*sees the footwear* 

“Fuck it. Do what you want. I’m taking a single shot” 

• Love 14

Josh's hand is the first thing I see.  Anna is over six months pregnant and there is literally no one else else who could hold her daughter.  good one Duggars!

Edited by Temperance
timeline issues
  • Love 11
3 hours ago, Kokapetl said:

“Pasty guys with dishwater hair, stand on the left, pasty dishwater haired guys with weird shaped heads, you're in the back row. People holding babies, stand around Josh and see if you can hide him. Joy, try to hide Justin’s attempted smoove teen smile with your bouquet. What? It’s the bundle of flowers you’re holding.”

*sees the footwear* 

As tempting as it was to cut off or crop nasty Duggar feet and shoes from the front row, you really can’t do it without it looking all kinds of wrong.  My photography teacher calls that amputation.  If the front row was sitting  on the stairs, cropping at the knee joint might have worked.  The skirts might have then covered up grubby feet and scuffed shoes.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, Arwen Evenstar said:

As tempting as it was to cut off or crop nasty Duggar feet and shoes from the front row, you really can’t do it without it looking all kinds of wrong.  My photography teacher calls that amputation.  If the front row was sitting  on the stairs, cropping at the knee joint might have worked.  The skirts might have then covered up grubby feet and scuffed shoes.

At least Michelle’s black tights and clunky black shoes are hidden. (I’m assuming she wore them.)

eta:  Michelle doesn’t look terrible in that picture, IMO. 

Edited by EVS
  • Love 2

I long ago gave up on being able to keep the younger Duggars straight, from Joy on down I am clueless as to who is who (with the exception of the Miracle that is Josie). That being said, the boy next to Grandma Mary looks especially awful. His pants are worn on the knees and are apparently too big in the waist from the looks of that belt, but yet too short. Not sure how old this boy is, but how is it possible he put those scuffed shoes on for a wedding and no one suggested he change them?

The bride's hair is beyond awful, JoshUa has a sweaty pit and Jes with the ever present ratty brown sandals - makes me wonder if everyone made an extra effort to look their worst for the big day.

• Love 8

Jessa's wearing her only pair of shoes again, but the little girl in green up front is wearing old lady shoes with heels. 

I think Joy did her hair waaaay too early for the ceremony. I don't understand the 2 hours early nonsense. 

• Love 3

Miracle Josie is wearing baggy long pants under her too big dress, for a wedding!!!  And scuffed shoes, as per all of them.  Jordyn is wearing lacey leggings under her navy dress. It's a wedding!  Not a play in the park day!

Jenni is, of course, tragically sad, as always; however, she looks very nice.

• Love 5
14 hours ago, louannems said:

Miracle Josie is wearing baggy long pants under her too big dress, for a wedding!!!  And scuffed shoes, as per all of them.  Jordyn is wearing lacey leggings under her navy dress. It's a wedding!  Not a play in the park day!

Jenni is, of course, tragically sad, as always; however, she looks very nice.

I just don't get why they can't wear bike shorts under their dresses.  The lengthy leggings just ruins the whole formal look.

• Love 7
1 hour ago, luvbadtv said:

I just don't get why they can't wear bike shorts under their dresses.  The lengthy leggings just ruins the whole formal look.

I wouldn’t mind if they were nice leggings or opaque tights that MATCHED.  Duggar matchy matchy is typically annoying, but when formal occasions call for it, then it’s fine.

• Love 5
17 hours ago, luvbadtv said:

I know. If the point is for modesty as well as covering the knees, then just have knee length leggings. But then again, how would everyone KNOW they were being modest if their leggings weren't scraggly hanging below their dresses.

Edited by GeeGolly
  • Love 12
1 hour ago, DangerousMinds said:

I still have yet to ever get a reasonable explanation for these stupid hashtags. #bullriding??? Why?

I think because hashtags are the kind of thing that people who unthinkingly follow trends all do ... unthinkingly. And the Duggars (and their adjacents, it appears) are first in line when it comes to thoughtless trend following. 

Hashtags are actually useful and kind of interesting things, I think, if, before you stick one in you think about whether this phrase is something that a) people are likely to search for and b) you'd like your post to come up in those searches for some reason. 

But Duggarlike people would never do that kind of thinking. Plus, they probably think "#"?? It means PR! Do it! 

• Love 4

It has been said that Michelle has trained her daughter's to always be joyfully available to their husbands.  In Gothardism is it taught that the men should be joyfully available to their wives?

Edited by Caracoa1
Grammar
2 hours ago, PoshSprinkles said:

Didn’t Josh and Anna always do that before at weddings? I’m thinking it was David and Priscilla’s where they did a dip kiss as the bride and groom were walking out. 

They'd still be doing it if they thought they could get away with it. But the Duggars don't engage in PDA because of overwhelming can't-keep-my-hands-off-you passion. They only do it to show off and get attention. Josh knows that there's no longer any point in ostentatiously making out with Anna for the cameras. If he does, it'll just be edited out of video footage and cropped out of photographs. Except for the leghumpers (who would totally lose their shit over what a sweet, precious, Godly blessing of a husband he is), nobody wants to see that and it would just bring another round of bad publicity down on his head. Josh's only hope of ever getting his mug back on TV rests on being discreet and keeping a low profile for the time being, gradually worming his way back into the spotlight by inches. Right now, he's still being positioned at the fringes of group pictures and he's probably under strict warning not to draw too much attention to himself.

• Love 6
On 11/3/2017 at 3:19 PM, Kokapetl said:

*sees the footwear* 

Also: "Joy, don't forget to cover up your 2-month-along belly. Mechelle, you don't have to do anything zany, you just pose in the center as the Queen Bee that you are. And Josie, you can do anything you want, but be sure you're up front and in the middle because you're a miracle. "

Poor Jackson, doing his photo-bombing best in a group situation.  (And is he wearing hooves?) And who is the lost girl who got stuck with a left-over Walmart dress from Jill's wedding? Joshley needs dress shields.

• Love 5
2 hours ago, Churchhoney said:

I think because hashtags are the kind of thing that people who unthinkingly follow trends all do ... unthinkingly. And the Duggars (and their adjacents, it appears) are first in line when it comes to thoughtless trend following. 

Hashtags are actually useful and kind of interesting things, I think, if, before you stick one in you think about whether this phrase is something that a) people are likely to search for and b) you'd like your post to come up in those searches for some reason. 

But Duggarlike people would never do that kind of thinking. Plus, they probably think "#"?? It means PR! Do it! 

That's what I understood at first. Hashtags can certainly be useful when used as a search tool. But it seems to me most do NOT use them this way. That's what bewilders me.

Edited by DangerousMinds
  • Love 4
13 minutes ago, DangerousMinds said:

That's what I understood at first. Hashtags can certainly be useful when used as a search tool. But it seems to me most do NOT use them this way. That's what bewilders me.

Duggar Thinking (and, to be fair, the thinking of lots and lots of people mindlessly twiddling their keyboards on social media): Hey, if it's trendy, I'm gonna do it! Even though I have no idea how or why!!   #of      #and     #if     #it's   #Even   #their 

Edited by Churchhoney
  • Love 5

So, with all the speculation that Joy may have been pregnant before her wedding... Does anyone want to speculate how that is being handled behind the scenes in Duggarville? Would Joy have told her parents (either before of after the wedding)? Would they freak out because of what a "sinner" she was, or simply because of the way it will make the family look? If she didn't say anything, do you think her family has noticed? (You would think they would be experts on what pregnancy looks like, but I could also see them wanting to bury their heads in the sand and pretend it's not happening.) If they have noticed, have they confronted Joy? Talked about it behind her back? Said absolutely nothing?

• Love 2

My guess is that Michelle and JB assume it is a rumor and avoiding it. After all, Jill was put through the same speculation and it turned out to be false.  They assume the baby will be born nine months out from the wedding. With Jill, they tried to argue with people, but people believed what they wanted. 

• Love 4
16 minutes ago, Temperance said:

My guess is that Michelle and JB assume it is a rumor and avoiding it. After all, Jill was put through the same speculation and it turned out to be false.  They assume the baby will be born nine months out from the wedding. With Jill, they tried to argue with people, but people believed what they wanted. 

It’s beyond JimChelle’s control at this point. What can they do? Insist that Austin marry Joy?

• Love 6

I know Izzy is tall for his age, but he's nearly as tall as Miracle.  Anna should have moved her high five pose just a bit, and she would have covered Josh's face.  I haven't seen much of J'Tyler, but he's a handsome young man.  A few more years in that house will have him looking 30, along with Derp & Muffin. Mechelle's very close to matching Izzy's pants with her skin tone.  Maybe that's a side effect of too much baggin' & shaggin' over the years.  I will now make my first trip to the Prayer Closet.   

• Love 8

Josie appears to be slightly shorter than Michael, who is a year and a half younger than her. Marcus is a little shorter than Josie and Michael, and a little taller than Izzy, but he's almost two years older than Izzy.

Tyler and Jenni look a lot alike.

Edited by madpsych78

I think it's hard to judge their heights unless they're standing right next to one another. Iz appears to be a step or two in front of the other littles, which might make him seem taller. Michael appears to be standing on the sides of his feet, which could make him seem shorter. Marcus looks like he could be standing on tiptoe (or that Jackson is kind of yanking him upward), though it's hard to tell. 

Johannah's feet/ legs look weird, like she's leaning or off-balance, kind of like she's been badly photoshopped in.

• Love 2
4 hours ago, Caracoa1 said:

It has been said that Michelle has trained her daughter's to always be joyfully available to their husbands.  In Gothardism is it taught that the men should be joyfully available to their wives?

Gothardism basically teaches that women want emotional connection and not sex. ....

And I don't think they even try to square that with some of the other teachings --

Like the ones that constantly caution against the women who are running around defrauding men into wanting them sexually -- I suppose that's just because women are Satanic, not a sign that they like sex. ....

Or the one about how men are the heads of everything and make all the decisions while the women ... not so much. .... Doesn't sound like a recipe for good emotional connection to me. But I suppose it would if I thought that women were lesser beings who are naturally suited just to gaze up at some idiot man's face while he blathers and feel contented by getting a condescending pat on the head. 

• Love 6