Type keyword(s) to search

S15.E01: Road to the Runway Season 15 / S15.E02: An Unconventional Runway

yeswedo
  • Start Topic

Tim Gunn introduces this season's 16 new designers with a look at their casting auditions.

Sixteen new designers head to New York to compete; the designers must use party decorations to create their looks in the first unconventional materials challenge.

Oh, the Project Runway frustration. I forgot about you

Really, rug skirt and big bird are at the top? Really Mark, that yellow monstrosity was one of the best things you've ever seen on the show? 

Of course it wins. I loved Tasha's over the other two.

I knew Ian was not long for this show when he immediately bitched about the unconventional challenge, how real designers don't work like that. I agree. However, those designers also don't appear on a reality TV show so...no one forced you here, buddy.

I actually really like Brick's. I liked he went simple on top with the glitter on the bottom. But whatever. I should just get used to this feeling.

• Love 23

This was a good first episode.  I thought that Ian believed he would get more face time if he butted heads with Tim Gunn right out of the box. Bye, Ian.  Your dress was a bore.  Erin was lucky that her model looked good in bright yellow but at least she took the challenge to heart.  Nobody mentioned that Dexter used only fabric for his garment.

I don't watch the Today Show.  Is Savannah Guthrie as useless there as she was as a judge?

• Love 13

That was a pretty good runway show overall, IMO.  I loved Roberi's and Erin's.  Tasha's not so much, but okay.  I like Dexter as a person, but not his Eskimo yeti outfit. 

When I saw Ian's audition clothes, I thought, "boring."  And that's pretty much what he delivered. 

• Love 12

My favorite look was the silvery Bride of Tin Man dress.  Don't know who made it.  Have to agree that the best use of unconventional material was Yellow Girl.  And I knew Ian would be first out when he rejected all of Tim Gunn's ideas. 

• Love 22
5 minutes ago, avecsans said:

This was a good first episode.  I thought that Ian believed he would get more face time if he butted heads with Tim Gunn right out of the box. Bye, Ian.  Your dress was a bore.  Erin was lucky that her model looked good in bright yellow but at least she took the challenge to heart.  Nobody mentioned that Dexter used only fabric for his garment.

I don't watch the Today Show.  Is Savannah Guthrie as useless there as she was as a judge?

Pretty much, imo.  And, even more annoying, if that's possible.

Edited by njbchlover
  • Love 7

I had to agree with Ian, I don't like the unconventional challenge either but, hey, it's a reality show so buck up and do it...and be the first to get auf'ed.

I was impressed with many of the designs. And then they get to the judging. I wonder what drug the judges are doing this season? White teddy bear and Big Bird on top? And what was so great about Tasha's design? And how was Lautence's not in the bottom?  I thought Roberti (spelling) was pretty cool and also the green plastic plate design and a couple other ones which were just safe. I better just buck up myself because I have a feeling I'm going to do a lot of eye rolling and cursing at my TV about the judging every week.

I hope Jenni get voted off quickly, she's the girl with the annoying seal honking laugh. Everytime they showed her I thought oh please don't anyone make her laugh! *cringe*

• Love 8

I really like Tasha, but wasn't crazy about her outfit.  

Really - I thought the dropped crotch pants thing was over already - it seemed like more than several of them incorporated some type of dropped crotch pants in their audition looks.

• Love 10

I'm happy one of my favorite show is back. I just love watching the clothes go down the runway. Tasha seems like a sweet person but I didn't like her outfit and thought for sure it would be on the bottom. Also didn't like the abominable snowman outfit Dexter made. My favorite was the lantern dress made by Roberti. I also kind of like the glitter pants. Ian was annoying from the get go with his self proclaimed "little guy" syndrome. If you can't or don't want to do the challenges on the show-don't go on the show.

Sorry to those who want the show to be cancelled but I love it and you can always watch something else. I do tend to like the designers with more normal personalities. On another note: on the road to the runway special I had two thoughts: 1) Mondo is still rocking the Luigi mustache and 2) Some of these designers live in very nice homes. Wonder how they afford it?

• Love 17
2 minutes ago, Straycat80 said:

I had to agree with Ian, I don't like the unconventional challenge either but, hey, it's a reality show so buck up and do it...and be the first to get auf'ed.

I was impressed with many of the designs. And then they get to the judging. I wonder what drug the judges are doing this season? White teddy bear and Big Bird on top? And what was so great about Tasha's design? And how was Lautence's not in the bottom?  I thought Roberti (spelling) was pretty cool and also the green plastic plate design and a couple other ones which were just safe. I better just buck up myself because I have a feeling I'm going to do a lot of eye rolling and cursing at my TV about the judging every week.

I hope Jenni get voted off quickly, she's the girl with the annoying seal honking laugh. Everytime they showed her I thought oh please don't anyone make her laugh! *cringe*

I actually thought that the green plate design was the best of all of them.  

Yes, Jenni's laugh is going to get annoying very, very quickly (it's already annoying).  I also didn't like the girl who is into preserving the earth, or whatever she said.  I'm all for being eco-aware, but she really gave a nasty look and tongue lashing to Laurence (?), when she said she likes to work with leather.

• Love 9

Once again it's all fun and games until the whacked-out judging. Nina insisting she's seen everything before and then gushing over that boring yellow nothing design just proves she's way past her expiration date.

I like Tasha but I hope we see better work from her. Those pants did not do anything for the model; what would they be like on a real person?

Laurence is stunning!

• Love 9

I was amused by the outfit that caused Nina to shield her eyes. The Canary Cottage costume was hideous. I think Goldie Hawn wore it in some movie. The glitter pants would have worked if he'd not gone for bell bottoms. That said, Brik had a nice introductory package. (I liked the farm.) Roberi (Roberti?) had what I thought should have been the winning design. It really stood out in a good way. Reminded me of metallic water. I am already tired of some contestants and it's barely begun.

• Love 8

At least the right person went home. Whether you like it or not, there will be an unconventional materials challenge, so prepare for it or at least accept that you will need to face the challenge. Agree about Dexter, using fabric as fabric is typically a no-no in the unconventional materials and there was no real innovation. I don't think the judges realized the pillow patterns were prefab and not pieced together by him. Surprised about Erin, but she did pull it out at the last minute. My fav was Roberti's and he wound up on the bottom. I thought the use of the lanterns was sculpturally brilliant. Well above a lot of the middle looks. Go figure. I also plan to be greatly disappointed this season. *Sigh*

• Love 19

Like, I, like, could not, like, be, like, happier, that, like, Ian, is like, gone. If I, like, had to like, hear him say, "like" one more time, I was, like, going to like, throw something, at, like, my tv. And acting as if you know better than Tim Gunn is never a good thing. Don't let the door hit you in the ass on the way out Ian. 

Very happy with the first episode -- and loving me some Tasha! I don't think the Big Bird outfit should have won. I got distracted with work so didn't catch/remember who the third "top 3" was -- was it the yeti jacket? I liked the Bride of Tin Man dress. It actually came together nicely. 

That "infectious" laugh is going to get freakin' annoying damn fast. Its not cute. 

Edited by SailorGirl
  • Love 18
23 minutes ago, OoogleEyes said:

Did they do away with the 'Tim Gunn Save' this year? I don't think I heard anyone mention it.

I'm curious about this, too. It'd be great if they DON'T mention it until he actually uses it. In the past, I think knowing it was available always cast a shadow -- will he or will he not use it?

• Love 2

I was glad they sent Ian home. He grated & I'm happy not to have to listen to his bitching and his whiney voice for the rest of the season. I already disliked him from his the Road to the Runway interview.

Tim had the most hilarious stank face on for most of the runway.

I'm shocked at how much I enjoyed this ep. It's been awhile since runway was on, and I was kind of burnt out over so many seasons and allstars one right after the other. This also looks like an interesting group.

The unconventional challenge is never my favorite so I'm glad they got it out of the way early. I look forward to seeing what else Erin (the winner) does although I didn't care for her winning garment. I can see why it won though.

Stray, I didn't get why Tasha's design was so great either. I do like Tasha though. And yes, Lautence (sp??)'s was really the worst, I thought, more so than Ian's. It was even more minimal & boring than his.

Oh god that laugh. I hope she goes next.

Madding, Mondo looks pretty funny, like a little plumber. hehe. I kind of loved his Mad Hatter hat though (but not on him. That Tim Gunn show destroyed any love I had for Mondo). Was one of those judges Anthony Ryan? With a mustache and looking very peculiar? Also, Sean Kelly's really changed up his look. Not in a good way. Nice to see Seth Aaron sporting a new do. It suits him more than his tired 80's look.

That green plate dress was very well done. I wonder if it would have rated better if the plates and flower effect had a different color story.

I think Nina shielded her eyes because of the lights on the runway glare. She's mentioned this before.

• Love 7

I think it was Roberi who had my favorite? Someone else mentioned it above, the plates that looked like water. I liked that it was a design turned on its ear with interesting shapes. Pretty much everyone else had a silhouette we have seen a hundred times over. 
I actually liked Brik's, too. I loved the muted top, cute shape, with the glitter pants. Dexter had an interesting take on unconventional. It was pretty hideous but also kind of cool in a "let's see it on the runway but not real life" kind of way. Ian's dress looked pretty decent moving on the runway but up-close was so bleh. Tasha's was gross. 
Heidi always looks like a Stepford Wife during the runway. I expect a thought bubble to appear over her head with nothing inside. Someone else mention Nina being passed her expiration date. Considering that dish water mop, same style and same flesh-toned color she has sported for the past 15 seasons, she is so spoiled it's time to dump her down the drain. 
I have been done with Tim Gunn since UTG but even with 3 of the 4 "personalities" on this show being utterly insufferable, I am excited to have the show back. 

I guess I am rooting for Roberi right now. That will change probably next week. 

• Love 3

I think Erin (the one with the bright yellow Muppet outfit) was very lucky that she got a dark-skinned model -- the contrast between the model's skin tone and the yellow color was attractive. 

• Love 19

I liked the details of the winning dress except for the wigs around the bust... that much fake hair (or real hair, too) just creeps me out... it looks gross.  But the gumball stuff she did was cool, and the color worked great on her model.  I probably wouldn't have picked it as the winner, but I'm okay with this look being in the top...

I'm also okay with the person they eliminated, though there were some other looks that could have been on the bottom for me... things that looked too much like a craft project and not a creative way to turn a non-fabric into something that looks like fabric.

But everything in between the winning and loosing looks made no sense to me. Dexter's outfit screamed poodle to me... which one of the judges said, but then went on to say that they liked it ??? Poodle is a good, fashion forward look?? Yikes. I really disliked that outfit.

I liked the glitter pants a lot, and they seemed to fit well. I can see what the judges were saying about a little bit of disconnect between the pants and the top, but I don't think it was bottom worthy.  Likewise with the lanterns. I thought it looked very sculptural and cool, though probably something I'd put in the middle of the pack.

Overall, it was a fun runway, and I'm glad PR is back... but the judging will forever be a mystery to me.

• Love 7

Tim Gunn did an editorial in the Wash Post recently, in which he described past winner Ashley Tipton's clothes as the worst he has ever seen. He did not hold back...and described her win as a PC move, a nod to the audience that there are larger women in America...and that the quality of her designs and her workmanship was terrible. 

I was thinking of that while the judges fell over themselves in praising Tasha's clothes for their "street cred". Dropped crotch, exaggerated hips, and a Tim/Heidi bag...as Nina is sometimes wont to say, there's a taste issue here. Nothing special, nothing especially well done, it looks like stuff the junior high kids have been wearing for ages. 

There were better looks, that got a pass, but no special mention. Tasha may be in line for the Ashley edit.

• Love 16

So far I like Alex and Mah-Jing the best, personality-wise.  But I think that we're being set up, and the very helpful Alex will eventually turn into a tantrum-y diva. Nathalia appears determined to be this season's resident scold.  I am seriously praying for a fur/leather challenge.

Ian seemed very sure of himself for someone who "learned" about sewing from youtube videos and hasn't even finished fashion design school yet IIRC.  As soon as he said he doesn't take direction well (because of course...he knows more than anyone) I knew he was a goner.  And I was glad.

As with every season, halfway through the fashion show I was scratching my head trying to remember who Kimber, Jenni and Rik were (among others).

• Love 5
4 minutes ago, Albino said:

But I think that we're being set up, and the very helpful Alex will eventually turn into a tantrum-y diva. Nathalia appears determined to be this season's resident scold.  

What's interesting is that, in his casting audition tape, Alex said (paraphrasing), "I don't want to console people. Every minute I'm with you is a minute I'm not working on a design to win." How do we go from this to someone who is super supportive???

• Love 8

nb, I thought the same thing! I actually liked Alex on the show itself. I'm sure that won't last though. :) It always amuses me to see who I like initially and who I still like or don't by the end of it all.

• Love 4

I really liked Erin's design. It was not something I would ever wear, but it seemed well thought out and well made (as well made as it can be on PR). She also, did not really seem to freak out when she was getting low on time, which I appreciated. I like that she is not afraid of color either. 

I liked the drop crotch pants Tasha made. Again, I would not wear a drop crotch pant, but I think on other people they can look good. It also, was not something I would think to see during a unconventional materials challenge and the design was very Tasha. If I did not see her on the road to the runway episode, I would know what her design aesthetic is. I did not like the top though.

I hated Dexter's design. It just seemed so overwhelming on the model. 

I did not like Brik's design.It did seem disjointed. When he said he was doing a glitter pant I kept thinking that those pants would be leaving a trail of glitter behind. I do think separately the pants and shirt could have worked if he paired them with different pieces. 

Roberi had a design I liked as well. I really thought he was going to be in the top. Yeah, we have seen that design somewhat before, but it worked for me. I really like Roberi so far.

Ian was so full of himself. I did not think he could handle criticism well. He looked so angry when Tim and then the judges said that there were problems with the dress. It looked so sloppy. I feel like if minimalistic is your design aesthetic then you better execute it well. 

Jenni's laugh is a bit much. I also, thought she had a vocal fry, so I was annoyed with her pretty quickly.

I liked Alex and his deadpan line delivery. I am sure since I like him initially he will be a asshole somewhere down the line.

No one I really disliked except for Jenni. She may be a nice person but the laugh and vocal fry is so irritating to me. I did not like Ian either, because of his attitude, but he is gone.

• Love 6
7 minutes ago, nb360 said:

What's interesting is that, in his casting audition tape, Alex said (paraphrasing), "I don't want to console people. Every minute I'm with you is a minute I'm not working on a design to win." How do we go from this to someone who is super supportive???

Oooh, maybe the Wendy Pepper strategy? An oldy but a goody.

I will need to watch the episode again to see if Alex's "support" seemed genuine - but then again, so did Wendy's at first - or if it seemed part of a strategy in some way.

And don't get me wrong. I loved me some Wendy Pepper - and Orange Josh's later fangirling of her (they were amusing together). She was such an interesting "villain." I was entirely surprised when what I was seeing turned out to be something else entirely when her strategy was revealed, and it was one of the reasons I was hooked on this show from the beginning.

Of course it was all fun and games until Wendy got the nod over Austin Scarlet for the final 4 - those damn celebrity judges (even a curse back in season 1!) - but nevertheless, Wendy provided for some interesting television. Austin's quote of her - which I believe I mentioned over in the quote thread - about how she would be found someday walking down the street talking to herself in bad make up and orthopedic shoes - gold. As was Tim's "Don't defend the shoe to me."

If Alex = Wendy Pepper, let's hope he does it as amusingly. Sometimes I enjoy someone I love to hate. Santino was another example - though less hate there even as I realized he was a sort of villain.

As for the clothing and the runway... I agree with @weightyghost concerning the judging being somewhat of a headscratcher.  I wasn't really enamored with any of the top 3 they chose, especially the yeti thing (which I thought was on the bottom). Was the skirt of the yellow, winning dress just made mostly out of fabric? And I echo the praise for the green plate dress, and I also liked Brik's top and slacks, even if they were a little anachronistic. I liked the sculptural dress that somehow ended up in the bottom*, also, and was glad to see Heidi sticking up for it.

* which means that I liked more outfits from the bottom three than the top three - heh.

• Love 5

Having this challenge sucks. Having it as the first challenge is absolute garbage. 

Dexter's was horrible. It looked like a dog bed, and really required no stretching of skills. 

I actually liked Erin's a great deal. I have no problem with the color or the silhouette, considering the dumbassed challenge. I liked the top, especially, and felt having a fitted skirt balanced it. 

I adore Tasha and her commitment to designing for cool women who don't care about looking "feminine". 

I always feel bad for the person sent home for this stupid challenge. I feel really bad about someone not even getting to show a real design, though. That sucks. Overall, though, I did enjoy the episode. 

• Love 5

Loved the first episode.  All-in-all, they did a great job the first go-around.  I agree with whoever said it was one of the better first runways seen on the show.  I agree with the judge's selections for 1st and 2nd place.  I like the vibe of this year's cast so far.  "So far" being the operative phrase.

Edited by Jextella
  • Love 4

Well, it looks like it's going to be an interesting season. I can honestly say I didn't hate any of the looks which is very unusual for me. I have no problem with Erin winning or Ian going home, so that's OK too. There's too many people for me to have a favorite or to know if I hate anyone, but I'm looking forward to what's to come. 

• Love 7

Some decent looking audition pieces.

Ian could have been Coco Chanel in another life and brought it to the runway and I would still be happy to see him go.  Male vocal fry is actually worse then woman vocal fry.  His voice left scratches on my screen. 

Overall it was a so-so first challenge.

The sign I am pretty close to being over this show is that suddenly Tim Gunn just annoys me ever so slightly by simply being on my screen.  And I used to love him.  When he started the road to the runway narration my immediate response was simply "shut up Tim Gunn".   Not a good sign.

And I know Mondo was bullied but I just want to see him wearing that hat of his down the street and someone going by just flick it off into the curb.  He just seems so precious and affected and again, I think that is my reaction to him overall.  Though I think even when I liked him when he finally got the balls to face down the Michael tribunal, I thought his outfits were a bit too much of a "look at me and how special I am" not this is me. Unfair but inescapable.

I already know by next week I will be back to strictly watching the runways. 

Savannah has her fans when she was with Chuck Todd on MSNBC.  Frankly even then I never saw her charm or wit there let alone when they moved her to the black hole of appeal they call The Today Show.  But then I loathe Chuck Todd and she started out in compare to the incredibly offensive and stupid Scarborough and his paramour Mika on Morning Joe and my great aunt's gout ridden big toe looks good next to them.  I always thought she did a weird "dressing down" thing to show how serious she was as a newscaster when she was strictly on MSNBC and did some reporting for the NBC Evening News.  Now she looks like someone dresses her when she is on The today Show.  Which makes sense because that is likely the case and goes with the job.  But what I mean in terms of here is that I would never in a million years associate her as someone who should be weighing in on fashion.  Let alone judging it. 

• Love 3
1 hour ago, Knuckles said:

Tim Gunn did an editorial in the Wash Post recently, in which he described past winner Ashley Tipton's clothes as the worst he has ever seen. He did not hold back...and described her win as a PC move, a nod to the audience that there are larger women in America...and that the quality of her designs and her workmanship was terrible. 

What?!  Really?  Because I'm boycotting the show over last season's Ashley/PC win.  Another reason why I love Tim.  I'll have to look for this.  

• Love 5

One-day unconventional materials challenge. WHY. I mean, I was actually impressed with what most people pulled out under such a ridiculous time constraint, but I would’ve liked to have seen what Roberi’s would’ve looked like if he’d had a second day to refine the shape of his dress a bit.

Hated delusional Ian just from his Road to the Runway segment, so watching him go down in flames with a total nothing of a shift dress was schadenfreudelicious. He should’ve gone regardless, but the fact that he couldn’t even own his mistakes like Brik owned his probably didn’t help his case. That said, I would’ve swapped in Laurence and Kimber to round out the Bottom 3. Step it up, ladies!

Are those new glasses on Tim? I never noticed anything else he was wearing because my eyes kept getting distracted by the frames.

• Love 4

I call foul on the unconventional materials challenge.  If all the contestants are doing is gluing stuff onto a muslin shell, they are all using fabric first and foremost and it's a cheat.  Having said that, I thought Roberi (Roberti?) and his lantern dress and whoever made the toenail/green plate dress were the closest to the brief.

Re the runup show, I almost switched off once I'd heard Nathali's intro: I immediately thought of the 70s bumper sticker to end all bumper stickers ("Go nuke a gay baby whale for Jesus").   Honestly how pretentious could she be.

And I was waiting the whole time to hear how this season is now remodeled back to the original premise.... bait and switch methinks.

Still, here I am, watching it again like a typical addict :)

• Love 3
2 hours ago, nb360 said:

Tim Gunn: "Ian, we're going to miss your SPUNK."  

Translation: "That's what you get, b*itch, for not listening to me."

"I hate spunk."  (tm Mr. Grant)

47 minutes ago, tenativelyyours said:

The sign I am pretty close to being over this show is that suddenly Tim Gunn just annoys me ever so slightly by simply being on my screen.  And I used to love him.  When he started the road to the runway narration my immediate response was simply "shut up Tim Gunn".   Not a good sign.

Gunn has been annoying me for several years now. How a professor at FIT became a self-appointed expert on virtually everything is beyond me.  "Make it work" was tired 7 seasons ago.  More often than not, the advice he gives to designers is their downfall. However I do appreciate his honesty about former seasons/contestants.  And don't get me started on the ill-advised "Under The Gunn".  Which was the show where Mondo showed his true, unflattering colors.

• Love 12
2 hours ago, slothgirl said:

Anyone else think the best moment of the show was when Heidi sensuously ate from the chocolate fountain, coolly calling out "5 Minutes!" while all hell broke loose around her?

Yes a bit like Nero fiddling as Rome burned...

I had a hard time trying to figure out how Aimee Mann made it on the show and it was distracting me. Also something seemed 'off' with Tim Gunn, can't quite place my finger on it.

I think this was the least "creative" unconventional challege evar. There was wayyy too much using fabric as fabric and muslin as under-carriage. And they need to decide if this is a 'fashion' challenge or a 'creativity' challenge. Is it the person that made the thing that looked most like a 'real' garment and made you say 'and up close now I see that, holy shit, it's 95% licorice vines!' or was it the person that worked most with the unexpected (not cop out fabrics) and bent things to their creative whimsy/will?

Agreed that it was a bit unfair to spring this as the first challenge but we had a worthy bottom pick, as I had pegged him as not for long on the show due to attitude shown on the preview so I'll let that go I guess.

Edited by Wandering Snark
  • Love 5
2 hours ago, AwesomO4000 said:

Was the skirt of the yellow, winning dress just made mostly out of fabric? .

That's the big question for me, too.  The runway placard said "gumballs and wigs."  WHERE did she find that swath of perfectly matched screaming yellow material--which covered the largest amount of the model's body?

Not really complaining, though.  I thought it was a nifty-looking dress--I got the "proportion" praise.  And hey, she was still gluing gumballs to fabric pieces on her work table at "Ten minutes to runway!" so she must have some connection with the magic Disney mice and birdies that twirled Cinderella into her ballgown.

2 hours ago, azshadowwalker said:

I feel really bad about someone not even getting to show a real design, though.

Yes.  I wanted to taser Nina for complaining that she couldn't really tell who Brik IS as a designer.  Really??  You weren't able to nail down and file away a designer's complete aesthetic after one look at how he handled paper plates and/or polaroids?

Roberi's paper lantern dress was light and flowing and vibrant.  (And you couldn't even tell there was a muslin dress under there, so major bonus points.)  But again, there's Nina Garcia bitching straight out of the playbook of old standards that "it's been done before."

If you want "fresh," how about giving up "This doesn't tell me who you are as a designer" and "I've seen this before" and rendering some specific remarks regarding the garment in front of you?

2 hours ago, GaT said:

. There's too many people for me to have a favorite or to know if I hate anyone, but I'm looking forward to what's to come. 

I'm so sorry there wasn't a separate discussion thread for the pre-show introduction program.  I skipped to the last 15 minutes of that show and there was an excellent little summary for each designer, with several examples from the portfolio and a capsule comment.

It was fun to pick out whose clothes I really liked without all the draaaama the PR editors pile on.  For example, I loved Linda, both for what she designed and for what she said, but the "Age 55" that's permanently stuck next to her name makes me wonder if she's too much of a mature adult to score any camera time.  I couldn't even find her Tim critique, although I was watching for her specifically.

(Her runway dress was no great shakes, but I'm still in her corner.)

Ian's stubborn rejection of Tim's advice thrice over was extremely amusing.  Ever seen this show, pal?  NOT a strategic move.  Bye.

• Love 14

I thought Tasha's nerves would be her undoing. So glad she was safe; I hope she can settle down & show us her best. I mean, everybody was nervous, but it seems to me like she feels like she doesn't belong. Maybe after being homeless (I can only imagine), she's not used to being in a safe space. I don't quite get who she is as a designer yet, but I'm really rooting for her to get something tangible out of this experience.

I love Dexter's personality, although I wondered if some of it was just for show. Kinda like he's striving to be someone he's not? Then again, don't we all put on a public face?... I mean, I'm striving just to do me, and I'm a pretty regular, quiet person. How does one have the courage live life that loud & outrageous?!

I love Alex. His voice is so soothing & he's wickedly funny & very helpful to others. Blessings & good karma to him.

Soo glad Rick (?) didn't go. I want to look at his lustrous curly blonde mane some more. It hurt me to see his handsome face spoiled with tears. Surprised that glitter wasn't raining down the runway after that mess in the workroom. I agree with the judges that the top & bottom didn't go together. 

Laurence----I'm obsessed with her face! I'm certain I've seen her before, back in her modeling days. She's so gorgeous it actually distracts me from looking at her clothes. Aww, & I think her son got her lovely face, with his father's coloring.

I don't like Chi-what'shisname from Philadelphia. I guess he was ok otherwise, but snatching the flowers from that other guy's hands left a bad impression.

Hmm... I noticed none of my comments were about the clothes. I rather liked the runway. The only one I didn't like was aufed. Glad we got the unconventional materials challenge out of the way. Let's see more fashion! And (fingers crossed) more adequate time to produce it.

Edited by NowVoyager
  • Love 8

By the first commercial break in Road to the Runway I knew this would be another season where I'd be hate-watching. By the end of it, I only liked one designer - Alex. By the end of the unconventional materials challenge I'd added another designer to my 'like' list - Tasha.

I wonder if Tim's new glasses signal a change in Tim. Looks like he's in sync with the judges this season; it seems like the last few seasons when Tim hated something in the workroom, the judges loved it. Maybe that's why Ian felt he could ignore Tim's advice.

I do hope that the lack of mention about the "Tim Gunn Save" means it isn't a factor this season.

Is an "Allstate - being in good hands" challenge inevitable, given Tim's commercial for them (and their sponsorship, of course)?

• Love 1

Sixteen designers is too many for me to keep track of so I hope the show keeps putting their names on the screen often.

Remember when the unconventional materials challenge meant designing something that looked like clothes and the designers were chastised for using materials that were too similar to fabric (like tablecloths)? I still remember some of the crazy stuff from the early seasons like Chloe's leaf dress. Now it seems like the unconventional materials challenge is an excuse to glue gun a bunch of shit together and pretend that it's avant garde.

Mah-Jing's dress looked like exactly what it was: crumpled up magazine pages glued to muslin. He didn't even do anything interesting in the placement of the colors. It looked like a bad art project.

Similarly, Jenni just slapped some paint on the nylon backpack fabric. Tim's assessment of her "print" as an art project was correct. The boa jacket looked cheap and tacky. It looked like Big Bird got muddy. Hated the double French braids and those ugly ass shoes on her model too.

Sarah's candy wrapper/paper lantern outfit was nothing groundbreaking, but at least it looked like a real outfit, not some sort of dead Muppet art project. I liked the scalloped white top. It would look cute dressed down with jeans or dressed up for a night of dancing. I also liked the skirt because I liked the way she used the texture of the lanterns. I just didn't really like the top and the skirt together.

I was totally cracking up when Nathalia said she was going to make her outfit luxe by making culottes. Since when are shorts considered luxe? I liked the silver lace looking top she made (although to be fair, i didn't see what the placemats looked like originally) but I hated the stupid faux fur sleeves. Why, damn it?

Maybe it's the runway lighting or maybe it's my tv screen, but Dexter told the makeup artist he wanted his model to have fuchsia lips and that is definitely not the color I saw on her. His outfit was a whole lot of fug. Hated the faux fur sleeves and skirt. I also thought that using the patterned pillow as the top without doing anything to alter it at all was a copout and not creative at all.

Rik's polaroid outfit was in the middle for me. If I had seen a picture of this without knowing what the challenge was, I would have known it was the unconventional challenge, but he still did better than all those people who made fugly ass faux fur garbage. His at least looked like a top and skirt made out of some sort of weird material and had a flattering silhouette.

Ian, on the other hand, made a shapeless dress and then glued panels of shredded polaroids and tassels to it. As Tim said, they looked like they were just velcroed onto the dress. Another bad art project. He is obviously not used to get any kind of criticism. He was so defensive on the runway and even after he was eliminated, he kept insisting that his design was awesome and that he loved it. Okay, dude. Keep telling yourself that while you're stewing in your sequestered hotel room for the remainder of the season.

Tasha's outfit was better than Dexter's. They both had the lame pillow tops, but I guess at least she changed the shape of the pillow and put some effort into the pants. I mean, I didn't like the pants because it was just a bunch of pieces of material glued onto pants,  but the overall look was slightly better than Dexter's pillow with a rug outfit.

A lot of people thought Erin wouldn't finish in time, but I like that she thinks about what she wants to do first (as opposed to some designers we've seen in the past who just start cutting fabric without knowing what the hell they're going to do). And in her defense, she was prepping a lot of her materials (cutting the gumballs in half, cutting the faux fur into tracks to make fringe, etc) so it's not like she was sitting around doing nothing. Ian's concern about her model's coloring was the most legitimate worry. I also liked that she was so calm as she was finishing her outfit at the last minute (instead of freaking out and shrieking in the workroom). Even though it's not something I would personally wear, I liked it because it was different, she used some less conventional materials and she didn't just take the materials and glue it straight onto muslin, and it looked like a real dress. She made an effort to transform the materials. Hated the stripe of glitter on her model's eyelids though.

Linda's white balloon and lamp shade outfit was good but not great. Obviously I'm grading on a curve that involves a lot of faux fur, but I couldn't even tell what materials she had used from a distance.

Kimber's gold tote bag/placemat dress was too shapeless and stiff. I also hated that, like Mah-Jing's design, it looked like exactly what it was: a muslin dress with whole placemats glued to the skirt and scraps of other gold glued to the top.

Laurence didn't do nearly enough. As Tim pointed out, she used beads as necklaces. Then she glued toothpicks to make a belt. Not enough transformation of the materials.

I have mixed feelings about Brik. On the one hand, I loved when he said he couldn't resist all that glitter. On the other hand, he glued a bunch of glitter to muslin pants. But on the third hand, they looked so sparkly! On the fourth hand (yes, I realize that at this point I need an octopus or a second person), they looked like pants with glitter glued to them. I liked the way he used the baseball caps to make the sculptural shoulders. I hope the poor janitorial guys got some kind of cash bonus for having to clean all that glitter in the workroom.

I like that when Mah-Jing tried to take some of Cornelius's flowers, Corny didn't let them go without a fight. I also liked that he was one of the few people who chose brightly colored materials. But once Jenni said that his dress looked like layers of toenail clippings, I couldn't unsee it. Damn it, I just realized that every time I see his name on the screen, I am automatically going to think of Cornelius Fudge

What I liked best about Roberi's design is that he stopped fighting the wires and went with the sculptural aspect. That ability to work with what he has is a great asset. The dress was a bit short, but I liked the overall effect, especially how he interlaced the circular shapes together. It had a great flow to it.

I think it's funny but sweet that during the Road to the Runway, Alex kept talking about how he's mean and impatient but in the workroom he was very helpful with anyone who asked his opinion and later he sat took Dexter in the other room and helped prevent him from melting down, getting him to focus on remaining true to himself. But get it straight, Alex. You don't wet your basement. You flood Ginger Minj's basement! There was a lot of color in his design, which I liked. I wish that whatever he used for the stomach portion (the orange lacy looking material) had been used more in his design.

I wish that the first challenge of each season had the judges giving feedback to all the designers, even if it was just one quick comment.

Edited by ElectricBoogaloo
  • Love 11
1 hour ago, CoolMom said:

Tim's Washing Post Interview I had to go find it too.

Wow, Tim was not holding back at all:

This season, something different happened: Ashley Nell Tipton won the contest with the show’s first plus-size collection. But even this achievement managed to come off as condescending. I’ve never seen such hideous clothes in my life: bare midriffs; skirts over crinoline, which give the clothes, and the wearer, more volume; see-through skirts that reveal panties; pastels, which tend to make the wearer look juvenile; and large-scale floral embellishments that shout “prom.” Her victory reeked of tokenism. One judge told me that she was “voting for the symbol” and that these were clothes for a “certain population.” I said they should be clothes all women want to wear. I wouldn’t dream of letting any woman, whether she’s a size 6 or a 16, wear them. A nod toward inclusiveness is not enough.

• Love 16

I rolled my eyes at the designers who bitched about the challenge being unconventional materials.  If you're going on PR, know you PR history: S1E1.  Just be glad you got to take as much crap as you could gather, not be limited to a $50 grocery store budget.

I loved the shady editing w/r/t the eco girl at the opening party...she's yammering on about leather and renewable sources, and the camera pans down to her hideous plastic shoes.

I want to root for Brik as he's my hometown guy, but as fashion backwards as Baton Rouge is, there's more to shopping than Mervyns, which hasn't been around for 10 years.  Plus I kinda felt like he did a dumbed down version of Anthony Ryan's birdseed dress (lacking the nuance of the shading in the seed).  I kind of wonder if Brik met AR around here at one of his events.

The bleach blonde woman who won reminds me of Ally Sheedy in the face.  She, among others, are going to try my nerves with the abundance of hipster doofus glasses frames.

• Love 3
6 hours ago, DHDancer said:

Re the runup show, I almost switched off once I'd heard Nathali's intro: I immediately thought of the 70s bumper sticker to end all bumper stickers ("Go nuke a gay baby whale for Jesus").   Honestly how pretentious could she be.

Is she the one that uttered the phrase, "My inspiration is the Pacific trash vortex"?  That earned a big ol' snort from me.

• Love 7
10 hours ago, susannot said:

My favorite look was the silvery Bride of Tin Man dress.  Don't know who made it.  Have to agree that the best use of unconventional material was Yellow Girl.  And I knew Ian would be first out when he rejected all of Tim Gunn's ideas. 

And two of the top three were those who embraced Tim Gunn's suggestions.

• Love 2

I don't know how much time elapses between when you're notified that you're going to be on the show and when filming starts but in that time, if you haven't worked with unconventional materials, you need to practice. I've seen every single episode of this show and the unconventional materials challenge has been in every season. When somebody said "I've never worked with unconventional materials!" I was like, do you know what show you're on? You also need to practice making menswear and making clothes for a woman who isn't model-thin.

Laurence is one of the most beautiful women I have ever seen. Stunning. 

Jenni threw some Adidas slides on her model. WTF was that? And that honking laugh is already on my nerves. I know she can't help it but GODDAMN.

I missed the intro of the guest judge so I had no idea who she was (I don't watch Good Morning America). She was fairly useless.

I really like Tasha. She seems like a warm, genuinely kind person, and I laughed out loud when she called Tim Boss Man. Drop crotch pants are still a thing - I was in a group with someone just yesterday who was wearing them. I wouldn't wear them, but they're on trend.

9 hours ago, nb360 said:

I think Erin (the one with the bright yellow Muppet outfit) was very lucky that she got a dark-skinned model -- the contrast between the model's skin tone and the yellow color was attractive. 

Agree. I don't wear yellow because it turns my caramel complexion green. (I don't wear shades of orange or green that skew toward yellow either, although I do like bold shades of those colors.) That model is gorgeous across the board but her complexion in particular really helped the dress along.

If I saw Brik's pants in a store and they were better constructed (as opposed to muslin with glitter attached) so I didn't have to worry about shedding a trail of glitter, they would be the kind of article of clothing that I would argue with myself about. "They're pretty!" "But where would you wear them?" "I'd find someplace!" Ultimately my practical side would probably win out and I wouldn't buy them, but I'd be tempted.

I am so sick of the phrase "who I am/you are as a designer."

• Love 13