Type keyword(s) to search

S15.E01: Road to the Runway Season 15 / S15.E02: An Unconventional Runway

yeswedo
  • Start Topic

21 hours ago, lorikauai said:

I was laughing so hard at Ian's "I can do it, I just don't want to." He reminded me so much of my kids in that moment.

Yeah, and if a designer chooses to give off that air of "I'm too good for this", they really need to be designing something spectacular, not blah minimal shift dresses.  His stuff looked pretty unimaginative to me.

I'm way over designers saying, "I don't do this."   It's just dumb and eye-rollingly pretentious. 

• Love 6
30 minutes ago, backgroundnoise said:

I'm way over designers saying, "I don't do this."   It's just dumb and eye-rollingly pretentiou

Me too.  They knew (or should have) known what they were signing up for.  I also am over contestants saying "I just didn't have enough time".  You had exactly what the others had.

• Love 1
On 9/18/2016 at 5:48 PM, Vermicious Knid said:

So once again, many of the unconventional material challenge outfits devolved to 'glue shit to muslin'.  I really wish they would remove that altogether as an option. They should have to make the entire garment out of what they can get, period.

I think, to do that, they would really have to give the designers more than 10 hours to create the garment.  We get all this "glueing shit to muslin" because they don't have enough time to really be creative.  Sucks.

• Love 5

Heidi also got lambasted for her outfit.rs_634x1024-160918160733-634-heidi-klum-

I saw that. And while (whilst?) I ADORE Heidi, that dress is a Michael Kors mess. It's like eight trends in one. The only saving grace is that Heidi has a body to die for and could pull it off. I've yet to meet the color she can't wear, and sequins can be unforgiving. Somehow, she makes this look like it's NOT 1987. So go Heidi! Oh dear, I think I have a girl crush!

• Love 1
On ‎9‎/‎20‎/‎2016 at 1:12 PM, sourpickles said:

Oh, and I just read that NG's dress was Valentino. If someone else posted that already, sorry!

Maybe it's Rudolph Valentino (the late actor) instead of Valentino Clemente Ludovico Garavani, the designer. That might explain it. :)

Edited by Miss Ruth
  • Love 2
On 9/16/2016 at 4:08 AM, candall said:
On 9/16/2016 at 0:14 AM, AwesomO4000 said:

Was the skirt of the yellow, winning dress just made mostly out of fabric? .

That's the big question for me, too.  The runway placard said "gumballs and wigs."  WHERE did she find that swath of perfectly matched screaming yellow material--which covered the largest amount of the model's body?

Yeah, I thought people got dinged in the past for their muslin/materials ratio. I really thought this one would, not be on the bottom because it was well made, but not be in the top either.

• Love 1

But ALL the garments were based on a muslin foundation -- none of the ones I saw could possibly have held together without a muslin structure.  So if they were all using muslin, then it resets the baseline, right?  Just judge the creativity of the the stuck on bits.  On the re-watch, I really did think Roberi was shafted -- that lantern dress was wonderful (yeah, a bit short, but his model didn't have any exposed naughty parts, not like we've seen in the past).  I did think Erin's outfit was well thought out and constructed but it was less creative overall than Roberi's look.   The green plastic plate dress was also excellent I thought and deserved more than an honorable mention.

• Love 3
On 9/20/2016 at 10:33 PM, Vermicious Knid said:

Heidi also got lambasted for her outfit.rs_634x1024-160918160733-634-heidi-klum-

My take on Heidi is that she is bored by "the norm" and looks for "different".   It may not always work, at least for my personal aesthetic, but I do like how she looks beyond and has the courage to wear out-of-the-norm styles.

• Love 1

I agreed with the sentiment that this was a very impressive first challenge.

The Venezuelan would-be architect's sort of Spanish Futurist dress (the swirling lanterns) was awesome.  Totally team Heidi and Zac on that one.  And I realized while watching them disagree that if I were on that show, I'd rather have a split panel of judges arguing vehemently over my look than have all four adore it.  That obviously says something weird about my personality (and it's not a formula for winning the competition) but I like the idea of having an aesthetic sense that only a select few can "get", but the ones who do will go to the mat for you.

My only disappointment, right from the point when I heard him say he had once wanted to be an architect, was that no one used the adjective "architectural" about his look!

That one woman's laugh was so wrong.  I know people say you can't help how you laugh, but if it's that bad surely you can try.

My wife thought the yellow dress that won was atrociously ugly.  It was not my favorite, but I definitely thought it was quite good.

ETA: I forgot until reading the recap: what was up with Cornelius's paper plate petal dress just being safe?  I actually thought when they went to commercial showing Zac saying a look was his favorite ever, in five years of judging, it was going to be that one!

Edited by SlackerInc
8 hours ago, SlackerInc said:

ETA: I forgot until reading the recap: what was up with Cornelius's paper plate petal dress just being safe?  I actually thought when they went to commercial showing Zac saying a look was his favorite ever, in five years of judging, it was going to be that one!

Oh, that thing. I thought it was pretty, creative and interesting until someone here (?) mentioned that the plate thingies looked like long fingernails and now that's all I see. lol

• Love 3

It's actually a very beautiful dress but Nina's styling was so wrong, not to mention wrong occasion and she's just too old for it.  Hair needed to be up away from the dress at a minimum.

I thought there were too many gals on the red carpet with dreadful loose hair that spoiled their looks.  I'm not advocating we all return to the 50s and 60s where going out to a "grand do" involved an up-do but honestly, these stylists really need to take a step back and realize that dangling hair is not always "sexy" (oh how I hate that term -- who CARES about "sexy" just concentrate on looking your best and invariably the attraction comes along naturally)

Edited by DHDancer
  • Love 2
10 minutes ago, DHDancer said:

Hair needed to be up away from the dress at a minimum.

That would have helped a lot. I also kind of liked the dress, though I think a couple fewer details would have been nicer. I like the fabric itself.

• Love 1

If this dress showed up on the runway, the judges would be urging the designer to learn how to edit.

Nina: The floral print, the 70s rickrack trim, the chiffon handkerchiefs on the bottom - you have too many ideas in one dress and none of them are good. 

Michael: And what's with the bib on the chest? Is it supposed to look like she's wearing a matching apron over her dress?

Heidi: It's not sexy to me. Everything is covered up - long sleeves, long skirt. This looks like a grandmother's nightgown, no? It's a red carpet dress so let's see some boobies! 

Zac: It's very Little House on the Prairie to me. 

Michael: Yes! All she needs is one of those little hats!

• Love 12
14 hours ago, SlackerInc said:

Wow, YMMV bigtime.  That dress, to me, is atrociously ugly and I can't believe Nina wore it.  It looks either like an ugly curtain/couch print, or like a four year old has been randomly affixing stickers to it.

I'm with ya.  It's like - "Look what I made from grandma's table cloth!  I'm an American Indian!  Who can yodel...".   Yikes.  Just yikes.  

• Love 4

We're a couple weeks behind but watched these first two last night.  Most of what I would have said has been.  But I will say that Mondo surprised us by wearing Groucho Glasses all the way through the audition show.  I want to see them on Nina next.

• Love 2