Type keyword(s) to search

Jill, Derick & the Kids: Moving On!!

Message added by CM-CrispMtAir,

Shout out to everyone participating in the conversation about Jill’s miscarriage/stillbirth. You’re navigating a difficult topic with respect and thoughtfulness and your contributions are kind, considerate, constructive and informative. 

Thank you. 💚💚

• Start Topic

1 hour ago, doodlebug said:

So, I guess they are staying in the same apartment.  Or, Jill really is dumber than we think (and I think she's pretty dumb).

ETA: I am 61 years old, just checked in the mirror, and I don't have even half as many forehead wrinkles as Jill, even when I lift my brows to the max.  Girl is going to look like a shar pei puppy by the time she's my age.

I’m 67 and I can’t make my forehead wrinkle at all. 

• Love 4
22 hours ago, DragonFaerie said:

Well I think it was Jill or Derick who posted a pic where they were with James, Jill's little buddy, getting his learner's permit or something.  Jessa was show with her little buddy at the dentist, and then time at the end of the aisle? Boob has been too busy complementing J'chelle on how beautiful SHE is.  It's really sad.

I must have missed Captain Cardboard/JimBoob complementing J'LithiumDrip/Chelle at the end of the aisle at their daughter's weddings. Which one was it? Anyone have a clip handy? For a family who claims to be humble and modest . . . they LOVE to be the center of attention. They will try to upstage ANY wedding by stopping the procession out of the church to kiss. They try to one-up each other with kissing photos. They make random announcements of their own when something big is happening to a sibling. It's just horrible. That's not modesty. That's not humility.

• Love 12

Jill, it's "overdue," not "over due." I mean, is it more important for the one who is presumably going to be staying at home educating the children to possess a command of basic spelling (and other knowledge she seems to be lacking), or for Derick to blow yet more money persuing some pie-in-the-sky postgrad goal he just dreamt up? Maybe they should have invested in shoring up Jill's educational foundation first? ??

• Love 15

Derick’s pimping their blog for updates on his law school journey on Twitter too, since that seems to be the sole source of income for these twits.  Most of the comments are all how wonderful it is. A few snarky ones and one very backhanded compliment on how he must have been very successful to be able to support and family and pay for law school since debt is forbidden. Oh and hes saying this was his first day. No dumb ass, it wasn’t.

Edited by Trillium
  • Love 8
1 hour ago, kokapetl said:

Praying that she never has to go Danger America ever again. 

But also some luck with dentistry. 

I am sure the people who pretended to be their friends in Danger America are praying the two of them will not show up again too. I would not be surprised people were laughing at them behind their backs and did the happy dance when they left.

Edited by bigskygirl

So I guess I don’t hate Derick and Jilly as much as this crowd (though admittedly I stopped following them the second they were off TV so IDK exactly what they’ve said/done) – but I think Derick has the potential to do perfectly fine in law school.  Will he be in the top 10% or on law review – maybe not – but guess what, 90% of others won’t be either.  I went to a top 10 law school and it wasn’t rocket science – it’s just about being able to keep up as you drink from a fire hydrant.  You take 5 classes a semester and as a 1L, 4 of them will require usually 50+ pgs of reading per night to prep for the next day; that’s 200+ pgs reading daily and it isn’t college so you can’t casually skim or skip the stuff you think you understand bc you are called on and grilled in class, which means 99% of people (except for those with a photographic memory) end up needing to do some extensive outlining of what they’re reading daily in order to be ready to go.  So Jilly is about to get a LOT of time to herself/with her kids – but is that such a big deal? Can’t she just go to the TTC with the boys?

Derick is as qualified as anyone else – he has a 4 yr degree from a state school and accounting is hardly a joke degree.  It’s just about holding onto some discipline to study and hoping his whiny wife doesn’t convince him to spend time with the family, does he really have to study soooo much!? Plus Arkansas is hardly a top school – ranked no. 86, median LSAT at 154 and median GPA 3.34 and 67% acceptance rate.  A median LSAT of 154 translates to the 60th percentile – meaning 40% of the law students out there nationally did better than the people attending UA.  It’s hardly the same “challenge” as keeping up with your classmates at Harvard or Columbia with 170+ scores and sub 10% acceptance rates.

Only reason he’s HAVE to be top of the class is if he is seeking the $$$ top law firm jobs but reality is very few of those nationally will even look at a UA grad and there are probably no more than a handful of those firms in Little Rock and we all know Derick isn’t getting or taking one of those – 70+ hrs a week, no thanks.  He probably already has in mind what he will do and probably has some nods that it’s doable – maybe work for an uber Christian org like the one Josh worked for; maybe the Gothard main HQ; maybe some Christian ministry that’s big enough to need an “executive” or for some super fundie lawyer with whom he’s already hooked up an internship.  None of these things require a top of the class graduation.

I did laugh at wearing a suit to the first day of school/orientation.  OMG way to brand yourself as a 29 yr old when the majority of your classmates are 22-23 and rolling in in jeans and flip flops; though guarantee he won’t be the only one – a school like UA likely attracts a handful of guys each yr like him who’ve been off doing the “missionary” thing and are already husbands/dads.

• Love 21
9 minutes ago, cereality said:

I did laugh at wearing a suit to the first day of school/orientation.  OMG way to brand yourself as a 29 yr old when the majority of your classmates are 22-23 and rolling in in jeans and flip flops; though guarantee he won’t be the only one – a school like UA likely attracts a handful of guys each yr like him who’ve been off doing the “missionary” thing and are already husbands/dads.

I kind of feel like it's a book-and-movie cliche to have some guy running around grad/law school in a three piece suit, as people muse aloud about what kind of tool does that?  Only now I can't remember which one(s).

• Love 16
5 hours ago, humbleopinion said:

Called it that Dreck would distinguish himself as a weirdo....but a suit on the first day of law school...that exceeds expectations...bet he and Jilly discussed how to make the best impression...so they went with the cheap suit and fugly toe curling elf tipped shoes...

The other students will pull their laptops out of their backpacks and he will pull his BIG CHIEF Tablet and Bic pens to take notes

He was required to dress up today for orientation. 

• Love 7

I've had a couple of friends that have gone through Vet school and they had a much dressier dress code than regular college.  2 different colleges and the women were required to wear nice blouses/sweaters and skirts - rolls eyes, and the men were required to wear dress pants with button downs or polos.  So I'm not sure if the U of A law school has a dress requirement, but even if they do, man those brown elf shoes, and I apologize to all elves out there, are not going to win him points.

• Love 6

Jilly is memorizing the above class photo ....focusing on the females' faces like a hired assassin ...they are her enemies... tempting and luring her husband with their brains and feminine wiles...

Dreck...are they prettier than me?...are they smarter than me?...are they funnier than me?

• Love 10

I've never heard of anyone taking pictures of the class on the first day.  Doesn't that seem kind of like asking for trouble?  What about all the ill-suited toilers who will have quit in exhaustion and won't be around to take a picture of/in the 2L class, same time next year?

Edited by queenanne
  • Love 8
1 minute ago, Rabbittron said:

When my Brother went to law school he was required to wear a suit everyday. 

If that's true for Derick's school his suit coat will come down with the dreaded pit rot.

• Love 16
16 minutes ago, queenanne said:

I've never heard of anyone taking pictures of the class on the first day.  Doesn't that seem kind of like asking for trouble?  What about all the ill-suited toilers who will have quit in exhaustion and won't be around to take a picture of/in the 2L class, same time next year?

I think it is common for most professional schools.  Our local paper had an article about the second incoming class of our fairly new medical school, and there was photo of the class.  Of course med students have the white coat ceremony before they start classes- I don't know if law students have a similar ceremony.

I wonder if orientation week will include some sort of dinner/ social event.  These evenings are typically are not open to spouses and significant others, and usually have alcohol provided.  Jill will flip a gasket!

Edited by 3 is enough
  • Love 13
1 hour ago, DragonFaerie said:

I've had a couple of friends that have gone through Vet school and they had a much dressier dress code than regular college.  2 different colleges and the women were required to wear nice blouses/sweaters and skirts - rolls eyes, and the men were required to wear dress pants with button downs or polos.  So I'm not sure if the U of A law school has a dress requirement, but even if they do, man those brown elf shoes, and I apologize to all elves out there, are not going to win him points.

Your Vet school friend probably had to dress up for their clinicalswhere they would be working with patients and their owners. 

In med school, we could dress however we liked during the initial stages when it was all class work. Jeans, t shirts, etc were the norm, especially for anatomy lab which could get pretty messy.  

On clinical rotation where we saw patients, we were expected to dress professionally.  All the guys were required to wear a tie, the women had to wear dress pants or skirts. No bare legs or open toed shoes. No blue jeans, although I wore a denim skirt (with hose) fairly often. Only dress shoes, no sneakers.  And, of course, a student’s short white coat at all times. Part of the grade was for professional appearance and demeanor.  

Anyway, Derick still looked like a geek in the suit even if it was for clas photos.

Edited by doodlebug
  • Love 13
37 minutes ago, Rabbittron said:

When my Brother went to law school he was required to wear a suit everyday. 

My sister attended law school at a local state university and there was no dress code except for mock trials and such.  For those sorts of presentations, the students were supposed to dress as they would for court. Otherwise, very casual.

• Love 10
8 minutes ago, doodlebug said:

My sister attended law school at a local state university and there was no dress code except for mock trials and such.  For those sorts of presentations, the students were supposed to dress as they would for court. Otherwise, very casual.

Yeah our dress code in law school was jeans and T-shirt’s.  I don’t know that I would have made it through that hell if I had to wear suits too!

Edited by Soaper410
  • Love 10

I haven’t seen any congratulations from the Duggars  , or Cathy, for the ministry graduation, or law school. I wonder if they will acknowledge either publicly. Scanning comments on the Instagram post, I did see the Seewald family (Ben’s parents) say congratulations, that was it.

• Love 3

I think it depends on the program.  My husband went through a program that required business professional wear.  Most of the guys wore suits without a jacket or a dress shirt with a sweater in the winter.  Ties were required.  On Fridays they could wear jeans and polos.  No T-shirts or flip flops ever.

• Love 3

I feel like Derick is in law school because cathy sat him down and said, "I work. Dan works. Even deena works. You're not getting a job at cross church, so you have to do something. I didn't raise you to be a loafer! Yes, I will buy you and Jill things to help out, but Jill's not going to work, and you have a college degree. If you don't want to do accounting, I will pay for you to go back to school, and I'll help out with your bills while you're in school. So those are your choices. You either get a real job or go back to school." Because job is a dirty word for Derick, he chose school, but since he isn't qualified to do very many grad programs, he chose law school, which you can do with any major given you have a decent GPA. 

I think Derick does have an agenda to advance Christian Right wing laws, but he is not motivated, and Cathy is. True, she supported his Christ church internship, but he probably led her to believe it would lead him straight into a job. For all cathy is, and as odious as some of her beliefs can be, she has been a hard worker for decades. I'm sure she sees how Derick has been pulled into the lazy Duggar orbit, and realizes that kind of work ethic is not what she wanted for her son. I would imagine that a high-level accountant would want her son, who has a wife and two children to support, to have a decent career. I'm sure cathy knows about the market being flooded, but maybe she hopes he will get a "JD preferred" type of job, or something in politics. 

I'm sure if Derick does make it through law school, he'll make the scarcity of jobs a reason to not get one. I agree with the poster who said Jill would he better off learning a trade. Since she is genuinely interested in the medical field, I wish she could get a CNA, but sadly, I doubt she has the education for it!

ETA: whoa! U of A has a lot of guys in law school! Whenever my friends in medical or law schools post class pictures, it always looks like a sorority pic crashed by a couple of guys. Not the there's anything wrong with having so many women, but it's just not what you'd necessarily expect. My grandfather was in the first UNC dental class in the 1950's, and they had one woman. I always mentally cheered her on and hoped she did well, since women pursuing dentistry was so rare back then! I wonder if arksansas is just more conservative, or if this is just a male-heavy class. Interesting how demographics change in different areas!

Edited by Christina87
  • Love 7

How long has he been wearing the dental appliances?  Is he on some ten year treatment plan?  His oral appearance never seems to change or improve so I have to wonder what the point is with his mouth of metal.  

I'm wondering if some of his law school peers will talk to the press and give us a realistic picture of how he's faring with his classes.  Since this is not a religious pursuit, I suspect his high profile won't work in his favor.

• Love 7
18 hours ago, cereality said:

but I think Derick has the potential to do perfectly fine in law school. 

I would be more confident his he had enrolled in a dominionist law school like Oral Roberts but I, and others, have wondered how he will fare when his rigid belief systems are challenged in a secular setting.

Edited by TresGatos
  • Love 16
1 hour ago, MonicaM said:

I'm wondering if some of his law school peers will talk to the press and give us a realistic picture of how he's faring with his classes.  Since this is not a religious pursuit, I suspect his high profile won't work in his favor.

I think nobody at the law school will care. They are all busy doing their coursework. The law school student enrollment isn't all that big. I think that any law student who gossips to the tabloids about a fellow student will incur the ire of the law school administration. Who needs that kind of trouble? Even if they don't like him, they'll probably not make a big deal about him one way or the other.

Derick grew up as an ordinary middle class kid in Arkansas, and he attended a big state university. He probably knows people at U of A, and may have friends who are law students. He can be a jerk in many ways, and he's been enmeshed in the cray-cray of the Duggar circus for a few years, but he knows how to behave at school. I'd be surprised if he makes any waves there despite his recent stints as a Z-list reality TV star, missionary, and ministry student. As a bonus of the Dillards being off the show, there's no chance of TLC wanting to bring a crew to the law school, which would have been disruptive.

I'd be surprised if he were the only law student there who's a devout conservative evangelical Christian. Also, I don't expect any special Derick drah-mah in the classroom. The study of law can be challenging to anyone with deeply held ideological or theological beliefs, as it pertains to how those beliefs affect actions and lives - and I don't mean just devout Baptists, lol! But that's rarely the stuff of acting-out and scenery-chewing as seen on tv shows.

The classroom discussions led by professors may have students occasionally stuttering or sputtering as they learn how to do legal analysis and put together an argument. And I suppose it's possible that Derick and classmates may have assignments that see them advocating for positions that don't mesh with their personal beliefs or leanings. But law students usually manage to do that without melting down. They're too busy getting their case cites right and emphasizing the facts that support their case. It's more likely to be sleep-inducing than exciting.

Derick could succeed as a 1L, and he could fail, but I doubt he's the focus of much attention from his peers. 

Edited by Jeeves
Better statement re law school lack of drama
  • Love 15

Isn't it funny how every 'change of direction' Doofas has winds up costing others money? Whether it's through grifting, mommy handouts or JB bankrolling it's never on Derelict's own dime. 

Even though it's a big no-no in their world,  I hope Derelict took out student loans to pay for this lastest direction in which God is leading him. If it's his own money maybe he'll actually see this pursuit through, graduate and get a job. Or maybe not lol

• Love 21
7 hours ago, ginger90 said:

I haven’t seen any congratulations from the Duggars  , or Cathy, for the ministry graduation, or law school. I wonder if they will acknowledge either publicly. Scanning comments on the Instagram post, I did see the Seewald family (Ben’s parents) say congratulations, that was it.

Jessa wrote "Congratulations!" on Jill's law school post but no one she knows liked it. Michael Keilen and Jinger liked the post after that one, of her installing the cabinet locks. Not even her friends and family give a crap about Derick. 

• Love 11
1 hour ago, lulu69 said:

Isn't it funny how every 'change of direction' Doofas has winds up costing others money? Whether it's through grifting, mommy handouts or JB bankrolling it's never on Derelict's own dime. 

Even though it's a big no-no in their world,  I hope Derelict took out student loans to pay for this lastest direction in which God is leading him. If it's his own money maybe he'll actually see this pursuit through, graduate and get a job. Or maybe not lol

I figured he qualified for grants since he's married with 2 babies. Not sure how all that works for law school or if that even matters, but I'm sure he would get some sort of assistance.

• Love 2
3 minutes ago, Whyyouneedaname said:

I figured he qualified for grants since he's married with 2 babies. Not sure how all that works for law school or if that even matters, but I'm sure he would get some sort of assistance.

I’m sure he’d qualify for something. Perhaps one of the Rick Dillard scholarships. (Doubt that, just saying)

• Love 1