Type keyword(s) to search

Jill, Derick & the Kids: Moving On!!

Message added by CM-CrispMtAir,

Shout out to everyone participating in the conversation about Jill’s miscarriage/stillbirth. You’re navigating a difficult topic with respect and thoughtfulness and your contributions are kind, considerate, constructive and informative. 

Thank you. 💚💚

• Start Topic

I get that Derick is a public figure and he puts himself out there by sharing his life, but the question about how he's paying for college was none of the poster's business and the second comment was just plain rude. I think his answers are appropriate to the situation. 

I speculate as much as anyone over how Derick is paying for all of this, but until/unless he starts grifting for tuition or rent money I don't think he has any obligation to answer questions about it.

• Love 15

That's a nice photo and frame of Derick with his dad. And Jill's post was gracious and lovely. One of her most redeeming qualities is her generosity and affection for her in-laws.

I will never understand why Derick continues to read and reply to tweets. Frankly, why should he care what a bunch of randos think, especially Derick, who is clearly certain that all he does is right? What does he get out of responding? A sense of importance? All he accomplishes is giving people the satisfaction that they've gotten under his skin.

Edited by EarlGreyTea
  • Love 18
51 minutes ago, Nysha said:

I get that Derick is a public figure and he puts himself out there by sharing his life, but the question about how he's paying for college was none of the poster's business and the second comment was just plain rude. I think his answers are appropriate to the situation. 

I speculate as much as anyone over how Derick is paying for all of this, but until/unless he starts grifting for tuition or rent money I don't think he has any obligation to answer questions about it.

I agree, but I think he should just ignore the posters. He comes off looking like an ass the way he engages!

• Love 15
4 minutes ago, BitterApple said:

I think Derick likes trolling. His critics provide more mental stimulation than the cling-on he's married to.

As far as the financials, Derick and Jill screwed the pooch with their shady ministry/missioncation/donation scam. People are always going to assume they're up to something hinky. Which makes me wonder, how exactly they're affording all of this? Even buying used and saving the difference, there's still fixed expenses for a family of four. Rent, utilities, car insurance, health insurance, food, diapers, clothing etc. Either they took in way more donations than they let on, or Cathy or JB is paying for them to live. I can't figure out how they're doing it otherwise. 

I'm guessing Cathy had saved a chunk of the life insurance for Derrick's undergrad, but he ended getting a scholarship.  So perhaps she is now giving him the money for the 3 years of law school.

• Love 5
1 hour ago, Christina87 said:

I agree, but I think he should just ignore the posters. He comes off looking like an ass the way he engages!

Yup, especially because he hangs his hat on being a Christian and thus morally superior to his non-Christian haters. Whenever I see him making snarky comments on Twitter, I immediately flash back to his "you get a job, Betsy" retort to one of his tweeters. Great example of Christian love you're setting for your followers there, bud.

He's not just some random person trying to live life; he claims to have a ministry. So shouldn't he be expected to behave like it?

3 hours ago, Annb67 said:

Puncuation matters people. ?

There's actually nothing grammatically wrong with this sentence. Adding a comma would not be correct. They would have been better off rewriting it entirely to avoid misunderstanding.

Edited by graefin
  • Love 17
1 hour ago, Fosca said:

Derick is going to be shocked when he tries clever non-answers like these in class and gets slammed for it.  My view is, he has the smarts for law school, but he doesn't have the temperament.  First time he is asked to argue for something against his religion (like abortion or gay rights) and he finds he can't refuse, it won't be pretty.  At least I hope they don't let him refuse; I can also see him screaming "religious discrimination" like the cake maker in Colorado when he has to support something he finds sinful as part of an exercise or assignment.

It won’t even take a question about an issue that hits him in the fundy gut. Derick is going to be reading about all sorts of legal issues from both sides and will be expected to build a cogent, well thought out argument for or against that issue at any time.  Considering his responses to those who call him out on SM; Derick seems to be from the ‘I’m rubber and you’re glue’ school of logic and debate.  He is going to have a meltdown the first time one of his profs criticizes his critical thinking skills which will be the first time he’s called to speak in class, IMO.

Even his religious arguments seem to be based on ‘its in the KJB’ without any supporting logic as to why God would have said opinion.  My religion classes in evil Catholic school taught us not only the tenets of the faith, but to question why these were the rules.  This is probably why so many of us end up cafeteria Catholics, of course, but we were allowed, even encouraged, to think about our faith and what it means.

Edited by doodlebug
  • Love 24
5 hours ago, Jeeves said:

Doesn't bother me. Someone who maintains a clean kitchen will clear up any stray hairs - and won't have food sitting out during the haircut for any hair to land in anyway. Sure, Jill and Derick don't strike me as clean freaks, but since I won't be invited over to eat any of her homemade glop, it's not really an issue in real life.

The advantage of the kitchen as the place for haircuts in many homes: it's the biggest room with hard flooring (vs. carpeting), and thus much easier to clean the cut hair off the floor, which is where almost all of it will end up. 

I have trimmed Mr. Xword's hair on occasion, and we do it on the patio.  Since it's summer, I wonder why they didn't think of outdoors?  Oh wait, we're talking about the Dullards here.  

Jill and Dillweed's poor kids.  Ben and Jessa's kids are very lucky, in comparison.

• Love 7
3 hours ago, floridamom said:

Jill wants tips for haircutting???? Try cutting your childrens' hair OUTSIDE like I did. We cut our sons' hair outdoors so hairs would not be all over the kitchen. Jill has dishes drying on the counter...hair can get in/on those and not be seen. Yuck.

Also, dear Jill, those potatoes are a stubbint one's toe or trip hazard on the floor. Once again, hair from the homemade haircuts can get in the potato bag since it has holes...should I continue with 'tips'?

Not that I disagree with what you wrote, but Jill most likely isn't really asking for tips. Asking questions like that is a classic way of trying to generate more traffic/activity on one's social media account.

In some instances (like sponsored posts), the more likes and comments a post gets, the more money the person will receive (I am not 100% familiar with how it works, but that's the gist).

• Love 12
15 minutes ago, PinkyCupcake said:

Not that I disagree with what you wrote, but Jill most likely isn't really asking for tips. Asking questions like that is a classic way of trying to generate more traffic/activity on one's social media account.

In some instances (like sponsored posts), the more likes and comments a post gets, the more money the person will receive (I am not 100% familiar with how it works, but that's the gist).

She could have asked for tips before cutting his hair!! ? 

• Love 11
1 hour ago, doodlebug said:

It won’t even take a question about an issue that hits him in the fundy gut. Derick is going to be reading about all sorts of legal issues from both sides and will be expected to build a cogent, well thought out argument for or against that issue at any time.  Considering his responses to those who call him out on SM; Derick seems to be from the ‘I’m rubber and you’re glue’ school of logic and debate.  He is going to have a meltdown the first time one of his profs criticizes his critical thinking skills which will be the first time he’s called to speak in class, IMO.

Even his religious arguments seem to be based on ‘its in the KJB’ without any supporting logic as to why God would have said opinion.  My religion classes in evil Catholic school taught us not only the tenets of the faith, but to question why these were the rules.  This is probably why so many of us end up cafeteria Catholics, of course, but we were allowed, even encouraged, to think about our faith and what it means.

From one cafeteria plan Catholic to another, I'm laughing way too hard over the "I'm rubber, you're glue" school of logic, but it's true! Thank you for a well needed laugh on my end today.

I can't wait when he will be expected to simply know the word "cogent" and how to use it correctly, both verbally and in a written medium. I'm dying to know if he's got a dictionary in his "law school thingies bag", because even though he did pass the LSAT, he doesn't strike me as one who either has or uses a large vocabulary. Context clues can only help a person out with so much.

Also, there is no way that Jill even knows what the word "apt" means in her recipe thingies! She'd probably see it printed somewhere and maybe think it was short hand for "apartment."

@IntoTheMystic, thank you so very much for sharing your first-hand and authentic experience with the "speaking simple" MO. So many things are making sense right now, like in a  video on another thread where Jana couldn't seem to come up with the word "dilute." I get it now!

Edited by Bridget
  • Love 7

My comments about the videos:

Izzy and Sam are both very cute. Izzy appears to be a compassionate child, while Sam is very easygoing. But man do Jill and Derick appear to favor Sam over Izzy. Did Jilly Bean ever film Izzy's first haircut? (Granted, they might have been in DA then and were still with the show.) She was treating Sam's haircut like he was her first born instead of Izzy.

• Love 9

I feel a bit differently about the video.  I was surprised to see that Derick picked up on why Izzy was apologizing.  Though they were focusing on Sam, they seemed amused by Izzy's actions.  He repeated the "apology" to Sam, hoping to amuse them again.  That's what kids do.  They're still nuts to cut hair in the kitchen and the haircut was unnecessary and badly done, but at least Jill was concentrating on what she was doing.  And at least Derick was interested enough to film it and to actually be in the moment.  I expect so little from these two, but I really didn't see much wrong with their parenting in this little video.  

• Love 3
8 minutes ago, AussiesRule said:

There is a LOT grammatically wrong with this sentence. Grammar is not only about punctuation. In this case it's all about the misplaced modifier. 

"...helps parents discuss God's plan for sex with their children..."

It should read "... helps parents discuss with their children God's plan for sex"

Maybe this was how Smuggar learned about sex...

• Love 15
10 hours ago, graefin said:

Yup, especially because he hangs his hat on being a Christian and thus morally superior to his non-Christian haters. Whenever I see him making snarky comments on Twitter, I immediately flash back to his "you get a job, Betsy" retort to one of his tweeters. Great example of Christian love you're setting for your followers there, bud.

He's not just some random person trying to live life; he claims to have a ministry. So shouldn't he be expected to behave like it?

There's actually nothing grammatically wrong with this sentence. Adding a comma would not be correct. They would have been better off rewriting it entirely to avoid misunderstanding.

Yes I understand that. Just trying to be funny.

• Love 5
On 8/14/2018 at 8:09 PM, AnnieBeez said:

I’m really surprised he’s not going to Regent Law. That’s where his fellow dominionists are. 

Regent is private (affiliated with Pat Robertson) and probably has higher standards than U of Arkansas. Maybe they didn’t want him there. It’s also a military town (Norfolk/Va Beach), so while it’s Virginia, it’s not rural or really country like they’re used to and more diverse. It’s also most likely a higher cost of living. 

PS - As someone who lives about 15 minutes from Regent, I don’t want to see him gritting in my town. 

• Love 1
20 hours ago, EarlGreyTea said:

That's a nice photo and frame of Derick with his dad. And Jill's post was gracious and lovely. One of her most redeeming qualities is her generosity and affection for her in-laws.

I will never understand why Derick continues to read and reply to tweets. Frankly, why should he care what a bunch of randos think, especially Derick, who is clearly certain that all he does is right? What does he get out of responding? A sense of importance? All he accomplishes is giving people the satisfaction that they've gotten under his skin.

I often wonder if Jill is trying to prove she actually likes Derick's parents by posting and saying nice things about. To her, the Duggars are the top dogs so to speak. The in-laws come second. I also not get love or friendship between Cathy and Jill. I think Cathy tolerates Jill and the Duggars to please Deredick. I could be completely wrong, but this is the situation I see.

2 hours ago, bigskygirl said:

I often wonder if Jill is trying to prove she actually likes Derick's parents by posting and saying nice things about. To her, the Duggars are the top dogs so to speak. The in-laws come second. I also not get love or friendship between Cathy and Jill. I think Cathy tolerates Jill and the Duggars to please Deredick. I could be completely wrong, but this is the situation I see.

Interesting! I interpret it differently. I remember how Jill called Cathy "Mom" right off, and that she and Derick made time for her on their wedding day with that phone call and then later the visit. I have since stopped watching, but I remember a scene where the Dillards all came over for dinner and Jill entrusted Cathy with their valuables, including Jill's engagement band. And it's clear that Israel loves Cathy. Warms my heart to see how he always runs straight to her. Kids can't fake anything, so I believe that there is real affection there between Jill and the in-laws. At the very least, she seems to put more of an effort in than, say, the Seewalds or Anna with the Kellers.

Having said all that, if Cathy could go back, I wonder if Jill would be who she would have picked for Derick. Not that that self-righteous bullying fraud deserves anyone better than Jill.

Edited by EarlGreyTea
  • Love 4
2 hours ago, EarlGreyTea said:

Interesting! I interpret it differently. I remember how Jill called Cathy "Mom" right off, and that she and Derick made time for her on their wedding day with that phone call and then later the visit. I have since stopped watching, but I remember a scene where the Dillards all came over for dinner and Jill entrusted Cathy with their valuables, including Jill's engagement band. And it's clear that Israel loves Cathy. Warms my heart to see how he always runs straight to her. Kids can't fake anything, so I believe that there is real affection there between Jill and the in-laws. At the very least, she seems to put more of an effort in than, say, the Seewalds or Anna with the Kellers.

Having said all that, if Cathy could go back, I wonder if Jill would be who she would have picked for Derick. Not that that self-righteous bullying fraud deserves anyone better than Jill.

I agree that Jill has made an effort to forge a relationship with Cathy at least. It is nice to remember Derick's dad even though she never met him. I feel the same type of affection is also there between Jinger and the Vuolos even though they are not really physically close to either family. I don't know if it is because of distance or perhaps the Seewald family has changed over the years (given that Jessica is now in law enforcement, and I believe Danielle and Michelle work), but I don't get the same vibe with Jessa and the Seewalds now (although Jessa seemed more affectionate with them early in their marriage). Jessa seems to appreciate Ben, but not much is mentioned about her in-laws, including Ben's siblings. 

• Love 5
14 minutes ago, Celia Rubenstein said:

I can't believe that twit is in law school. I'd pay good money to see tape of him getting called on in class and being Socratically spit-roasted for 45 minutes by a professor who woke up in the wrong side of the bed.  Watch his ego just shatter.

I wonder how Jill is holding up. It's been a week. She must be approaching  critical mass as another week of classes is about to start.  Actually it's not another week of classes, it's just the first week. Last week was just orientation. The fun is only now getting started.  For both of them.

So far, she’s baked sweet potato fries, advertised a book for children about sex, and installed locks on the kitchen cabinets. The haircut doesn’t count, Derick was there. I can’t wait until next week !

• Love 13
6 hours ago, kokapetl said:

I think Derick chose his particular law school due to practical reasons. It was more convenient and cheaper than the rest. Those are actually good reasons.  

5 hours ago, PradaKitty said:

Maybe they’re the only law school who took him. 

My guess is he's going there because it's close to the TTH.  He hopes he can drop off Jill and the kids there to be distracted while he does "law stuff."

• Love 6
14 minutes ago, ginger90 said:

So far, she’s baked sweet potato fries, advertised a book for children about sex, and installed locks on the kitchen cabinets. The haircut doesn’t count, Derick was there. I can’t wait until next week !

You forgot to mention the Happy Birthday post for Derick's dead father.  That was solely done to get Derick's attention.  Funny, isn't it, that Jill never posts a Happy Birthday message to Derick's step father, who is alive and well and lives nearby.

• Love 16
19 minutes ago, ginger90 said:

Wow!  Wasn't she a busy bee this week! (sarcasm font).  I still doubt that she installed the cabinet locks.  I'm guessing Jana did it for her, because we've seen Jill's skill with a spatula and kitchen tools.  I can't imagine what she would do with power tools.  Although I still wonder why they didn't put the locks on before now, because um, Izzy?

I would love to see a clip of when a law professor divides up the class - you on the left are arguing for the defender, you on the right for the plantiff, and Derick has to argue for the rights of an LGBT person.  And when he gets in a snit about it the professor rips him a new one.

I'm wondering, since they didn't move if they are living in a rental property of Boob's or one of their siblings that "supposably" have bought a house and are using it as a rental until they get married.  I'm also wondering if when Derick's dad died, that maybe Cathy put any money from a life insurance or whatever into a trust and is now using part of that to support her grandkids?  Because I really don't understand how any of the Duggars live without real jobs, nor do I understand how the Browns from Sister Wives just bought property and moved either.  If someone figures out how any of them do it, please tell us so we can all do that.

Also the haircut.  One, for me and mine, Sammy's hair wasn't even close to needing to be cut, but we've only had 1 person in our family that liked the super short hair on guys. 2)  I would NOT have trimmed it in the kitchen, because we've seen how well they tend to keep things clean.  I typically cut hair in the bathroom right after it was washed - easier to clean up, wet hair not dripping on the carpet and good lighting.  Derick when he told Izzy that Jill wasn't sad and she was tearing up and said no, mama's sad just shows me how disconnected Derick is his family and that this is a BIG moment in his son's life - his first haircut.  

Edited by DragonFaerie
Because there is such a thing as past tense
  • Love 9
3 hours ago, Mollie said:

You forgot to mention the Happy Birthday post for Derick's dead father.  That was solely done to get Derick's attention.  Funny, isn't it, that Jill never posts a Happy Birthday message to Derick's step father, who is alive and well and lives nearby.

Good point, but to be fair, neither does Derick.

• Love 5
1 hour ago, BitterApple said:

I agree it's weird they'd wait til now to put locks on the cabinets when they've lived in that place for over a year and Izzy was a very active toddler during that time. 

It's easier to keep one child in sight, plus I think they were very quick to discipline Israel into obedience. 2 kids are harder to corral and they don't seem to be as harsh with Sam as they were with Israel at the same age.

• Love 11
18 hours ago, madpsych78 said:

I agree that Jill has made an effort to forge a relationship with Cathy at least. It is nice to remember Derick's dad even though she never met him. I feel the same type of affection is also there between Jinger and the Vuolos even though they are not really physically close to either family. I don't know if it is because of distance or perhaps the Seewald family has changed over the years (given that Jessica is now in law enforcement, and I believe Danielle and Michelle work), but I don't get the same vibe with Jessa and the Seewalds now (although Jessa seemed more affectionate with them early in their marriage). Jessa seems to appreciate Ben, but not much is mentioned about her in-laws, including Ben's siblings. 

I think Jill and Jinger enjoy the individual attention they get from their in-laws.  For once, they’re not one kid among a bajillion.  That must be both special and awkward.  Mrs. Vuolo, and Cathy (boy I can’t stand her), probably talk to the girls about something other than when the next blessing is coming, or assuming they’ll help at the TTH. They may actually have real conversations as far as you can with their limited life experience.  I think Jill probably feels like she can learn a lot from Cathy too.  Jessa hangs around the TTH all day, and probably doesn’t feel she needs the extra attention.  

• Love 7
14 hours ago, madpsych78 said:

Good point, but to be fair, neither does Derick.

Also to your original point @Mollie, I think Cathy’s husband isn’t into the social media scene AND he will always be “Cathy’s husband” to Derrick and his brother. Nothing wrong with that, Cathy married him when they were both adults and out of the house. 

• Love 4
1 hour ago, Vacantsmile3 said:

So Jill is shilling on Instagram now...just saw her fit Fab fun partner box... 

She finally realised she could make money on instagram. She’s also wearing a normal pair of jeans ?.  

• Love 2

First, I love Fab, Fit, Fun boxes but I’ve already got a subscription. Second, I’m shocked Jill has over a million Instagram followers. Finally, I think she looks fabulous in her skinny jeans, the defrauding minx. 

• Love 12

Those boxes (Fab Fit Fun) aren't cheap when you have to save every penny and very little in disposable income. I have considered getting one. The FitFabFun partners don't make a lot of money. I like watching the unboxing videos on Youtube and they have a lot of FabFitFun partners there. I'm not sure the "partners" make any money and just get discounts on their boxes.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, kokapetl said:

She finally realised she could make money on instagram. She’s also wearing a normal pair of jeans ?.  

I wonder if FitFabFun specified that they wanted her to wear jeans for the ad! I could see them going for the "relatable" Duggar daughter. 

• Love 1
12 minutes ago, Christina87 said:

I wonder if FitFabFun specified that they wanted her to wear jeans for the ad! I could see them going for the "relatable" Duggar daughter. 

Heck, she even has what appears to be a decent mani/pedi going on.  Maybe she is trainable after all!

• Love 4

She looks better than usual in that picture.  I wonder also if they have given her some advice re: selling their stuff.  I have to say I'm tempted to order using her code, but, I'm pretty sure I won't!!

• Love 4